PDA

View Full Version : USO R4: Marion Bartoli def. Petra Kvitova 16 62 60

Miracle Worker
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Congrats Marion :eek:

Fistpumping, allez after every point, jumping between points... Petra was destroyed by Marion in 2 last sets :sobbing:

Kworb
http://u.cubeupload.com/kworb/tznmock.gif

Steadyniacki
Reached the QF at all 4 slams! :)

Really unexpected win, but she played GOAT in the 3rd, really encouraging.
I feel a bit sorry for Petra, but she's still had a great year.

Jimmie48
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:37 AM
I'm dying!! That third set :lol: :lol: :lol:

young_gunner913
Marion seriously fucked up Petrified in those last two sets. Some of the shots were soooo ridiculously GOAT!! :bowdown:

cowsonice
Oh Lord. Kvitova just looked helpless out there.

Mikey.
:weirdo: A mess.

VIKA?
Cake was GOAT.

rnwerner
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:38 AM
"I am hugely surprised that anyone really thinks that Marion can beat Petra.

I'm a longtime fan of Marion and her form is really really bad.

She won't upset Petra even when Petra his 70 errors."

I was totally wrong!

But i'm happy i was wrong.

Pure Magic from Marion in sets 2 and 3 (against a sloppy and bad Kvitova)

Out of nowhere she is in form, hits winners and aces.
What a great, surprising and fantastic performance!

Charlatan
:hysteric: bagel

Congrats Marion. She is so pumped! Feel bad for Petra at the end

Kvitty will trash that bitch pova in the quarters, now that she has stockpiled enough karma.

mac47 :hug: But hey, she won Toronto and New Haven

DefyingGravity
I don't understand how Bartoli fans can criticize Ivanovic's fist pumps. Those were just as bad, if not more crazy and obnoxious.

Sylvester
Marion :eek: :woohoo:

Showing some excellent tennis when it matters the most! :hearts:

Allez!

SVK
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:39 AM
Bartoli def. Bartoli?:p

Ferg
Where the absolute FUCK did this come out of. Worst form of her career playing against the form player of the hardcourt summer, and bagels her :lol: What the hell.

Marion has now made the quarters of every slam :bowdown:

Cosmic Voices
Predicted

n1ko0
she played SO well!

tennisbum79
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Unexpected

both results and scoreline

flareon
:lol: at thread title

Petra :hug: been an amazing US Open series rest up and good luck in asia

Marion :bounce: :eek: I am so happy for her no1 expected her to get past Oprandi and she did shes been no where recently and now a 1/4 final at the US open and after being Pummeled in the first set she never gave up, yes shes over the top with the fistpumps to all the imaginary people in the stands and yes she rubs her powerade drink into her hair but you have to give her such credit for her tenacity and her will to win, this is a great result for her and I am happy :)

sxeraserhead
I have no idea where that came from but... :lol: good for Marion.

Petra's form clearly dipped after the first set while Marion's rose, but I think the biggest difference in the last two sets was that Marion's serve was an asset while Petra's wasn't. If Petra had a better, reliable serve she wouldn't have to always rely on painting the lines to win... oh well.

Vikapower
Gotta give Marion credit where it deserves, when she's on fire self she's really a though cookie to deal with -- for some weird reason, Petra's game doesn't seem to give her much problems even when she's totally outplayed, she already led the H2h 2-0 and now it's 3-1. :spit:

sweetadri06
Kvitova looked gassed by the end of the second set. Too much tennis for her in the last few weeks.

floco
That 6-1 6-1 loss to Kvitova a couple weeks ago was the best thing that could happen to Bartoli... because she was fired up and hungry for revenge!! She's really a mental GOAT lol.

Sund7101
Bravo Marion! The crowd was going crazy for her.

Soliloque
That's how Marion works, always coming out of nowhere when you don't expect it :cheer:

CatTs
"... it's one of my best matches in this season."

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
Marion had that look in her eyes and could not miss.

But honestly Petra should be ashamed. Winning only 2 games after such a good first set.

WHATEVER!!!

Foxy

Barktra
Bitch should have not played new haven :weirdo:

Marion please win the title baby :cheer:

Patrick345
Marion seriously fucked up Petrified in those last two sets. Some of the shots were soooo ridiculously GOAT!! :bowdown:

Now watch. We all discuss Errani vs. Stosur with a little Wozniacki for the YEC and Mad Bartoli wins the US Open. That was some sick tennis from bartoli. I don´t feel there was much Kvitova could do, especially in the 3rd set. She tried to regroup in that first service game of Bartoli, holding two BPs and then Marion serves two aces, a service winner and another winner. That basically broke Kvitova´s will and Bartoli just continued her sick play.

ikemstar
Yes! Do it, gurl! Maid Marion rules!

saul1333
Petra :sobbing:

misty1
petra was not as good as she has been, however..

marion played AMAZING tennis in that 3rd set, im not sure that petra would have won even if she was 100%.

the game marion played on serve to save 15-40 was just incredible

égalité
This bouncy twit. I can't.

Jerem
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
http://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/15/87/91/56/bartol10.png

Only 15 UE's for Marion :eek:
Well done :yeah:

sjankis630
I really must have missed something. I was watching this live online and the first set was all Kvitova. She was hitting consistently and moving forward when the point called for it. I went away to do some work and when I came back Kvitova had been crushed 2-6 in the second set and Bartoli was up 5-0 in the third. What happened? Bartoli has no secret weapon that I saw in the first set. She was just counterpunching and waiting for Kvitova to make a mistake - which the first set she didn't.
:shrug:

dencod16
Wow congrats to Bartoli for beating Bartoli.

flareon
Lovely embrace at the net :)

John.
I can't at Petra. Just atrocious after the first set.

I've always liked Marion and wished her well, but her over zealous fist pumping and allezing has become so obnoxious that' it's become ridic. I mean fistpumping at winning a point when an opponent falls over :o

carling
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:43 AM
It was a CAKE walk after the first set. :)

Rolling-Thunder
I wish I could have seen this. Wow.

DragonFlame
This girl is so stupid that she took a wozniacki-like schedule. :facepalm: Totally burned out.. embarrassing.

GrandMartha
PEStra lost :cheer::banana:

Serenita
:hug:

Well done Marion

cogent53
First set was so controlled from Petra, but she went so flat after that at seemed intimidated by Bartoli's noisy fist pumps and 'come on's. Was it the long season catching up with Petra? Marion getting revenge for a right pasting a wee weeks back? Petra's asthma? Anyway, Petra well beaten by annoyingly bouncy and pumped up Bartoli.

zigga
:spit:
Really didn't see that coming.

Alizé Molik
and I'm dead.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1206220_o.gif

Cp6uja
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
:tape:

Petra Kvitova is my biggest disappointment of 2012.

edificio
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Marion coming back from the breadstick to bagel and defeat Petra. Incredible. Well done, Marion. :)

Sorry, Kvitty. :sad: But you had a great North American campaign. :)

dencod16
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
Bad scheduling from Petra she was trying to blow Marion of court by power, which is never gonna work. SHe was just hitting the ball hard to the middle.

gc-spurs
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:46 AM
Hey, at least KvittyGOAT is inching forward.

HRHoliviasmith
thoroughly disgusted with petra. dunce. :smash:

Djezonfly
Yas gurl :hysteric: Quartertoli :worship:

Petra :hug:

Blu€
Now that's a bombshell, Marion had been so mediocre so far! Really happy for her! Alleeeeeez :)
The barking is over :hearts:

Petronius
Interesting match. Congrats to Marion, but I'm very curious about Petra's after-match comments and how she'll explain her performance in the last two sets.

b2b
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:47 AM
4 threads. :angel:

Titova :happy:

Patrick345
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:48 AM
:tape:

Petra Kvitova is my biggest disappointment of 2012.

Maybe overall, but her US hardcourt season was outstanding including the US Open, despite this loss. There was absolutely nothing anyone could have done against the 3rd set Bartoli imho. Serena could have served herself into a tiebreak with 24 aces. That´s about it. :lol:

colt13
Bravo Marion! The crowd was going crazy for her.

Agreed. The New York crowd treats her like they do Schiavone. They love energy players, and Marion is one of the most affected. When she's on, she's running to the chair after she wins a game. When she's off, she trudges along like she's going to collapse.

Marion has made a career of these type of matches.

cogent53
Interesting match. Congrats to Marion, but I'm very curious about Petra's after-match comments and how she'll explain her performance in the last two sets.

Me too, it was quite a turnaround.

tennisbum79
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:50 AM
http://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/15/87/91/56/bartol10.png

Only 15 UE's for Marion :eek:
Well done :yeah:

Except for UE, all others stats are very close.
Does that alone explain the one-sided score in the last 2 sets?

PS. I did not see the match

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:51 AM
Bartoli just got lucky, damn those who came up with schedule for today:fiery:

Jorn
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:51 AM
Well done Marion! :)

What a showing in last 2 sets! :yeah:

misty1
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:52 AM

petra's level did rop but marion was just on fire in the last 2 sets, it was some vintage stuff from her

sxeraserhead

I think this was crucial:

Kvitova:
1st serve points won 15 of 41 = 37 %
Bartoli:
1st serve points won 24 of 38 = 63 %

misty1
Bartoli just got lucky, damn those who came up with schedule for today:fiery:

lucky my ass, she earned this win and its completely deserved

homogenius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Goatish 3rd set from marion.Totally destroyed her.
First QF in the USO for her.Hope she won't stop here

taloki
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Only caught the last set and Marion was on fire. :lol:

Fistpumping, allezing & bouncing all over the place. :rolls:

Petra :hug:

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:55 AM
Fuck this shit :sobbing:.

missvarsha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:55 AM

Have you forgotten that poor Ludmilla's lungs magically don't work inside the US ? Except when she is winning of course.

KRRROTTTT !

Ferg
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
Peak Pierce could never.

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
lucky my ass, she earned this win and its completely deserved
yeah right, in 2nd she prayed on Petra's UE

Laura_VeeFan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:57 AM
Petra :haha: Not being bagelled

misty1
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
yeah right, in 2nd she prayed on Petra's UE

she played great tennis in the 2nd and 3rd sets, if you dont think so your blind

im not saying petra's level didnt drop but marions level also increased by a large amount

Coconut91
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
From what I saw Petra was serving badly. Looked sluggish, like she didn't care.

Glad I missed the third set :lol: But it seems Marion played great so congrats to her. :yeah:

aloeball
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
Petra, mental retard in the third set.

Marion played great and it's not as if she didn't 'allow' Petra to play but Petra was such a mental retard and so worried on losing and playing not to lose hence 6-0. This comes after a 6-1 first set???

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:03 AM
she played great tennis in the 2nd and 3rd sets, if you dont think so your blind

im not saying petra's level didnt drop but marions level also increased by a large amount
She managed to capitalize on Petra's mistakes witch is good for her but still not without luck

jameshazza
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
This is a shock, I only seen the first and was not expecting this outcome.

Berlin_Calling
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:06 AM
Was looking forward to a Petra vs Maria quarterfinal, but well done, Marion. :)

StoneRose
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:06 AM
She managed to capitalize on Petra's mistakes witch is good for her but still not without luckWhich luck? Petra makes mistakes and she often makes too many, good players cash in once that happens, no luck involved. On top of that Marion played very well, congrats :cheer:.

Loungy
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:07 AM
Ew.

Michalka
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
Petra :bigcry: This was a great opportunity to reach the QF and you blew it....the players I like bombing out one after another... :o

Pasta-Na
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:12 AM
Marion knows how to play against the top players like Kvitova and Vika. :p

Adrian.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:12 AM
WTH? :haha:

Poor Petra :awww:

danieln1
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM
One word for Petra Kvitova: :facepalm:

mdterp01
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Kvitova :rolls:

Morrissey
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:28 AM
That's how Marion works, always coming out of nowhere when you don't expect it :cheer:

But the problem with Bartoli is she often loses AFTER a big upset. Bartoli lost to Radwanska after upsetting Azarenka in Miami. Just like when Bartoli beat Henin at Wimbledon in 2007 in the semifinals only to lose to Venus in the final. Bartoli always finds a way to lose after a huge upset.

Loungy
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:29 AM
her over zealous fist pumping and allezing has become so obnoxious that' it's become ridic. I mean fistpumping at winning a point when an opponent falls over :o
Her oncourt demeanor has always been beyond gross. Only player, male, female or genderqueer, I've ever actively and passionately disliked.

That first set looked so promising. :sobbing:

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:33 AM
Petra won't be sad for very long. After one month in America she has this:

$385,000 (Montreal) + $96,100 (Cincinnati) + $107,000 (New Haven) + $120,000 (US Open) + $70,000 (US Series bonus) = $778,100 in total

How much did YOU earn last month? Anybody still feel sorry for her ? :lol:

GL in the rest of the season, Petra

Bayo
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:33 AM
If there is a Marion/Nadia Quarterfinal. :bigcry:

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:35 AM
After that first set? :unsure: Bartoli had 2 outlets for her fistpumps this time, Amelie and Emilie (Loit, correct? Looked like her) :lol: were seated on the opposite end of the court from her father. Some of the people in the audience had huge grins on their faces and their eyes glued to her the entire time. She needs to tone it down, or she'll run out of energy midway through the 1st set in her next match.

Very clear that Kvitty loses all possible plots when she panics, she looked close to tears a few times.

tkutsaar
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:36 AM
Marion Bartoli is a most delightful player to watch. Her unorthodox style is breathtaking. I am constantly amazed at how hyperactive she is between points; and the hyperactivity persists without any let-up no matter how tense or how long a match proves to be. And as an added bonus this unorthodoxy attracts the ire of a substantial number of posters in this forum. To my mind the fact that she has an abundant number of haters amongst this board elevates her to the elite status in women’s tennis.

All that said I was truly surprised by the outcome, as I had been impressed by Petra’s recent performances. Marion made her look ordinary from the second set on. The sixth and seventh games in the second set were most unusual as each player consecutively broke each other’s serve. Now that in itself was not unusual but each server lost her game at love; an occurrence which I cannot ever recall having seen. Winning the sixth game was the last game Petra won. I believe she did not even get a sniff at a game point the rest of the way as Marion’s performance thereafter was absolutely dominant.

JN
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:39 AM
Marion! :yeah:

Petra. :hug: Well, at least now she'll have time to take Adam to see The Berenstain Bears LIVE! on Broadway. The little fella will really enjoy that.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:42 AM
Congratulations to Marion for winning the match.

But poor Petra. She was dominating this match in the first set and doing everything well, Marion couldn't win a point off of her serve or Petra's, until Kvitova gifted her one in the first set. Petra was playing with easy, controlled aggression in every aspect of the game (Return, serve, loopers, floaters, slices, drop shots, angles, CC, and deep penetrating shots and winners). She appeared so calm and confident. Then it all went to pot in the second set, and it got even worse in the third (both her game and demeanor).

I've seen this story before. And you hate to make the excuse (especially since she had played so well in North America up until that point), but Petra's asthma kicked in. It had to.

Today the humidity was the highest she played, at about 80%. I guess it was finally too much to bare. This wasn't Petra being wild. She played extremely disciplined, practically flawless 1st set against Marion. It was beautiful. There was no way she would play like that, then start missing serves and open court shots, when she knew she could bury Marion for good. Petra had a chance to hold serve and break serve, the first two games of the second set and didn't. And that's when you knew something was up. Petra had that calm, confident eye of the tiger, and she wasn't going to give this one away (if you she could prevent it), trust me. Then the rapid decline started progressively (after Petra took an extended break after the first or second set).

Petra gifted Marion that 2nd set (Marion only had 5 win 4 UE to Petra's 8 win 17UE that firs set). And this wasn't Petra being wild. No No No. Many of those 17 errors were on open court shots she would make with her eyes closed. Petra uncharacteristically couldn't by a 1st serve during the second set. And by the third, she was double faulting when she could least afford it.

Obviously, her hands must of been trembling and she couldn't control any more of her shots and serves. Like I said, I've seen this story before with her. She was playing too well and controlled, to just flop during the second set, and not even try in the third. You know the difference when you see it.

Marion only started playing well during the 3rd game of the 3rd set. Up to that point, Petra was gifting her points on normal and not wild shots. It's a shame.
Like I said, you hate to make the excuse, but it was clear to me.

Oh well. I'm not upset. If you're sick, you're sick. I wonder if not playing New Haven would of helped, or it wouldn't of made a difference? Congrats again Marion.

Get some rest Petra and prepare for your next tournament.

bobbynorwich
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:48 AM
Shocker, feel bad for Petra who is a very nice person. Gotta luv the Cake-girl though.

.:cheer:

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:53 AM
Gutted for Petra. I didn't watch the first set. Was out for a walk and checked the score on my phone, figured Petra had it in the bag after that first set breadstick. Came back and watched Marion absolutely destroy Petra's serve. Devastating.

On the other hand, Petra's form this tournament was in all honesty not good enough to win the tournament. She would have been beaten handily by Pova or Azarenka or Serena.

I'm not a fan of Marion's bouncing, but I like that she's a fighter and that she's different. Good luck in the rest of the tournament, and if Raindelaypova somehow beats Nadia, I'll be praying for Cake to beat her. Would be pretty cool if she joined the ranks of one-hit wonder slam winners.

Feyd
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM
Reached the QF at all 4 slams! :)

Really unexpected win, but she played GOAT in the 3rd, really encouraging.
I feel a bit sorry for Petra, but she's still had a great year.

Career Quarter Slam! :rocker2:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Gutted for Petra. I didn't watch the first set. Was out for a walk and checked the score on my phone, figured Petra had it in the bag after that first set breadstick. Came back and watched Marion absolutely destroy Petra's serve. Devastating.

On the other hand, Petra's form this tournament was in all honesty not good enough to win the tournament. She would have been beaten handily by Pova or Azarenka or Serena.

I'm not a fan of Marion's bouncing, but I like that she's a fighter and that she's different. Good luck in the rest of the tournament, and if Raindelaypova somehow beats Nadia, I'll be praying for Cake to beat her. Would be pretty cool if she joined the ranks of one-hit wonder slam winners.

This is where you not seeing the first set has misled you.

The way Petra played that first set she would of beat anyone at the US open, with maybe the exception of Serena (and that's if serena was serving GOAT).

Petra dominated Marion in every fashion of the game that first set, and she wasn't even trying hard.

If Petra would of went on to win that match 6-1 6-2 (especially considering Masha is down a break and in the third set with Petrova, after being bailed out by a rain delay), I'm not sure what you're saying would of held water.

Obviously, Petra turned it on when she saw Marion today, but couldn't close the deal. And it appears to me with the weather (80% humidity-highest humidity she's played in, along with Miami), and the way she lost her accuracy (trembling hands she's mentioned before), and her long break off the court in between sets, that was the culprit/bug a boo.

You hate to make the excuse, but it was quite obvious to anyone watching and in the know. She was embarrassing Marion. Bartoli was completely helpless. It was almost comical. And this wasn't a situation of a player being hot and cold (or vice versa). Petra was playing well within herself.

As far as her preceding US Open matches, Petra didn't do anything wrong in those matches. She won in straight sets. Petra was holding serve so well, she didn't have to do much else.

So I disagree with you on that Mac. Neither Sharapova or Vika, played at that high a level in that first set, with that type of high ranked opponent, as Petra did tonight. Shoot, Sharapova has her hands full now with Petrova. So you gonna make that analysis off of Vika and Sharapova beating up on scrubs? And now Masha is in third set tussle, down a break against Petrova-her only almost decent competition do far, but you give her a pass? Come on Mac.

Oh well. Lol

Petra lost. And that's over and done with. I'm only going by your premise, that the way she played previously, she wouldn't of beaten Masha or Vika. Is that like a coping mechanism? :lol:

Chance
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
shame i was going for Petra. I saw the last 10mins which was basically the entire third set and Marion is so damn annoying:o

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:17 AM

The way Petra played that first set, she would of beat anyone at the US open, with maybe the exception of Serena (and that's if serena was serving GOAT).

Petra dominated Marion in every fashion of the game that first set, and she wasn't even trying hard.

If Petra would of went on to win that match 6-1 6-2 (especially considering Masha is down a break and in the third set with Petrova, after being bailed out by a rain delay), I'm not sure what you're saying would of held water.

Obviously, Petra turned it on, when she saw Marion today, but couldn't close the deal. And it appears to me with the weather (80% humidity-highest humidity she's played in, along with Miami), and the way she lost her accuracy (trembling hands she's mentioned before), and her long break off the court in between sets, that was the bug a boo. You hate to make the excuse, but it was quite obvious to anyone watching and in the now. She was embarrassing Marion. And this wasn't a situation of a player being hot and cold (or vice versa).

As far as her preceding US Open matches, Petra didn't do anything wrong in those matches. She won in straight sets. Petra was holding serve so well, she didn't have to do much else.

So I disagree with you on that Mac. Neither Sharapova or Vika, played at that high a level in that first set, with that type of high ranked opponent, as Petra did tonight. Shoot, Sharapova has her hands full now with Petrova. So you gonna make that analysis off of Vika and Sharapova beating up on scrubs? And now Masha is in third set tussle, down a break against Petrova-her only almost decent competition do far, but you give her a pass? Come on Mac.

Oh well. Lol

Petra lost. And that's over and done with. I'm only going by your premise, that the way she played previously, she wouldn't of beaten Masha or Vika. Is that like a coping mechanism? :lol:

Good post, Excelsior. Petra was excellent in the first set, very similar game to what she played e.g. against Azarenka in the Istanbul final.

As I said I'm really curious about her after-match comments and what she has to say on the decline in her performance (if asthma kicked in, etc.).

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:29 AM
Good post, Excelsior. Petra was excellent in the first set, very similar game to what she played e.g. against Azarenka in the Istanbul final.

As I said I'm really curious about her after-match comments and what she has to say on the decline in her performance (if asthma kicked in, etc.).

Thanks Petronius.

But you don't have to be a genius. Any one that would of watched that first set, saw the look in Petra's eye.

She looked supremely calm, focused, steely eyed, discipled and accurate.

She did everything a Petra fan wanted her to do that first set. And when she started giving the match back in the 2nd set, it wasn't so much what Marion was doing (with all do respect), but more what Petra wasn't doing, even when she had a wide open court.

If you watch Petra enough, you'll know when she's nervous, folds, goes on a wild spree or freaks out. That's not what I saw here.

In this case, when you take all things considered, its' clear that her asthma kicked in and/or she was tired (with all respect to Marion). Cause there's no way Petra could be that calm, confident, disciplined, and accurate, and just fall apart like that, with out a big fight from Marion (Marion actually started playing very well, the 3rd game of the third set). Up until that point, Petra was in every one of Marions's service games during the 6-2 2nd set (where Marion hit 5 win 4 UE, to Petra's 8win 17UE) till the first two games of the third.

I don't know what she'll say. But everyone saw her take that extended break. So I'm sure she was puffing on that inhaler again. Lol

But we'll see what she says (especially if she's asked)?

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:29 AM

The way Petra played that first set, she would of beat anyone at the US open, with maybe the exception of Serena (and that's if serena was serving GOAT).

Well, OK, I didn't see the first set. But I did watch her other matches. 6-4, 6-4 against Parmentier was not tournament-winning form.

We'll see if there's some excuse from her presser. Probably just lack of fitness and Marion returning awesome, is my guess. Petra wasn't gasping or crouching to catch her breath. She just looked lost and frustrated.

tennisrules
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
It's awful watching Kvitova thoroughly dominate someone in a first set then just fall apart and lose in three. This has happened several times already this year.

Deestruction
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
Ah dammit Petra :facepalm: :bigcry:

Well at least you had a great summer :hug: :hug:

tennis-insomniac
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:58 AM
This is by far the upset of the tournament for me. I thought after the first set Kvitova had this in the bag but I underestimated the fight of Marion had in her. This reminds me of the French Open 2011 semifinal run that Marion had out of any expectations from almost everyone in the tennis world when she beat the favorites, Goerges, Kuznetsova, en route. It seems the 2012 season has gotten a lot better for Bartoli who now completes the career Grand Slam Quaterfinal, the feat only a few players have achieved in their careers.

I'm very glad for Marion but feel disappointed for Kitova, but this is tennis and sadly someone has to lose. I hope Kvitova will make it another time in which I'm sure she will one day, maybe the next time it will be Kvitova who holds the championship trophy.

Mistress of Evil
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
Ugh, Kvitova's vulturing caught up with her. Obviously, no one saw that coming even Ludmila. A really lovely exchange at the net from Petra considering how y'all describing Cake's antics.

Pova has a huge mountain of KvittyGOAT karma coming to her for all those break points she has escaped this year in Melbourne and Stuttgart. I'm hoping for a repeat of Wimby 2011, or worse.

Kvitty will trash that bitch in the quarters, now that she has stockpiled enough karma.

Sharapova is toast. That is if she doesn't flop as usual at the USO

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m949hd1lZl1qblp8lo2_250.gif

lilygotsilly
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:16 AM
Everyone's talking about Kvitova's bathroom break. I am curious . Did Bartoli take a bathroom bk too?

hERi
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:49 AM
Kvitova is a loser. period!

tennisbear7
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
:tears: Mac47, Petronius and Excelsior.

JRena
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Maybe her 17 year old boyfriend knocked her up? That might be a reason for this loss......right?

Shaun:::
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:16 AM
:eek:
unexpected result for me

jedw
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:35 AM
I didn'twatch as it was on too late here. damn! I thought Marion would be eaten alive. now I want video!

Johnbert
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Wtf Petra?! :confused::rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VerticalSports.Com App

hingis-seles
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:42 AM
I love Marion. I also like Petra but so happy for Marion right now.

Allez up your fucking asses!

tennisfan5
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
missed the match, but maybe Petra's long hardcourt summer caught up with her?

The 2nd Law
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:34 AM
:o

LUVMIRZA
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
RIP Excelsior's big neurotic post ramblings:sad:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:01 AM
RIP Excelsior's big neurotic post ramblings:sad:

:sobbing:

Golan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Oh lol, what a score :lol:

Natural Joe
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
:eek: Never expected that! Marion :worship:

Yashal
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, but still
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9loknrfDR1r278d3.gif

olivero
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
I just love how Marion can turn into total GOAT out of nowhere :lol:
Allez :cheer:

Fantasy Hero
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:47 AM
:haha: in the match of least fave player upsets are the less bad new :lol: but this time it's even better :haha:
KvittyGOAT, true number 1 :wavey: isn't she back to Kindergarten? :oh:

lilygotsilly
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Did Kvitova or Bartoli take the bathroom break after the 1st set?

Petkovic
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
I didn'twatch as it was on too late here. damn! I thought Marion would be eaten alive. now I want video!

Me too! Really want to see that third set now.

Happy for Marion :bounce:

graffite
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:04 AM
Oh, Petra. I understand if it was the asthma, this has already been a better U.S summer HC season for her than I expected.

But for heaven sakes, woman, pull yourself together and get rid of that signature mental walkabout in the second set. There's no coming back from that.

<extremely shallow> I wish Marion would cut her hair short or atleast dry it during changeovers with a towel. I've seen bag-ladies look more put together. Sure, it shouldn't matter in an athletic event, women empowerment yada yada but I'm shallow and I know it.

Raiden
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Not looking for excuses but Petra did look a bit odd as the match progressed. One notable indication of that was people wrongly thinking she was crying but in reality that looked more like something else not related to tennis was bothering her.

binky-GOAT
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
So happy :hysteric:

Johnbert
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
how can you lose 2nd set 2-6 and eat a bagel in the 3rd after winning the 1st set 6-1?!?! :confused:

Golan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:26 AM
how can you lose 2nd set 2-6 and eat a bagel in the 3rd after winning the 1st set 6-1?!?! :confused:

Answer: WTA :lol:

Talula
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
I just love how Marion can turn into total GOAT out of nowhere :lol:
Allez :cheer:

The thing is that Marion tends to bag a big win then flunk the next match. I'd like To see her have several such matches in a row.

chingching
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
I don't understand how Bartoli fans can criticize Ivanovic's fist pumps. Those were just as bad, if not more crazy and obnoxious.

Both players should learn that tennis isn't a sport of bitchiness... At least it shouldn't be :lol:

FORZA SARITA
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
enjoy your USO series Petra :rolleyes: it was worth it, no?

momo_rama
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
It's called passion guys. Players like Sharapova, Serena, Vika and Bartoli are some of the biggest fighters in the game. They play with fire, and players like Kvitty and Sam could learn to get some. Half of sport is a mental battle and these players just use that to their advantage more, no big deal.

If everyone was nice the tour wouldn't have a backbone. That's why when Woz was number one everyone was all ladida and life is swell... Someone did an article about it and hit the nail right on the head.

It's great to have players who love to go to war with players on court, back at the top of the game. And i personally can't wait for the epic bitch stare downs that are going to come from the Masha-Barts game. Epico!:drool:

Libertango
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Oh Petra :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Congrats Marion.

Gilas.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
NID. H2H doesn't lie y'all. Don't know why so many predicted Petra to win :unsure:
Marion :worship: Unfortunately your run ends now :angel:

laurie
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
Wow, I've seen Marion play many times and I've never her so pumped, even more than she usually is. Well done to her.

Meanwhile Petra's capitulation was unexplainable. To win matches you have to match your opponent's will to win, however they manifest it. That was not good enough.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using VerticalSports.Com App

Linguae^
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Bartoli is awful, how come she now reached QF at all the Slams. :o

tejmeglekvár
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'm disgusted by this scoreline, Petra. :help: You have to sit in a very dark corner and think about your life choices in the next days. :o
Even if her last 3 weeks very massively overrated, losing like this...

Credit to Cake pulling this out.

Sexysova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
what a nice result to wake up to, thank you Marion :D honestly, Kvitova is so lucky to have such cakewalk draws in GS this year, but when she had to play an opponent who can beat her, then she loses :lol: BYE :wavey:

tejmeglekvár
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
Petra won't be sad for very long. After one month in America she has this:

$385,000 (Montreal) + $96,100 (Cincinnati) + $107,000 (New Haven) + $120,000 (US Open) + $70,000 (US Series bonus) = $778,100 in total

How much did YOU earn last month? Anybody still feel sorry for her ? :lol:

GL in the rest of the season, Petra

Peak Goldiebot & Brotherhood of Carotards could never beat this post!

Si_Hi
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
petra:rolleyes:
next davemport turned out to be another ivanovic:rolleyes:

Simugna Help
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
I remember when Sharapova vultured her way to the Cincinnati title last year after Azarenka and Serena pulled out and subsequently lost to Pennetta in round 3, I can't remember povatards being contemptuous towards her and her scheduling. :awww:

Still, shame Petra lost to Cake, I hope Cake will be able to bring the goods to the next round but I doubt it, she rarely follows up big upsets. But I'll skip this ridiculous battle of fistpumps.

lenas warriors
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Oh Petra why so shit

pav
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
She is funny, Marion,jumping and pumping and allezing, she was like that at one of the other slams when she dusted up someone good, then in the next round she started getting a beating and was slouching around dragging her feet. Certainly feeds or self destructs on her own enthusiasm.

Volcana
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
http://www.northjerseybiz.com/image-lib/Bartoli-Kvitova.jpg

I thought Kvitova could hit. Where does avg 1st serve speed 99mph come from? Baartoli averaged 101.

Sam L
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Allez Marion!!

bandabou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Not a shocking loss..bu5 Petra's lack of willingness to battle is starting to become an issue. You don't quit, never ever!

GrandMartha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
i just can't believe how overrated Barktova is . :lol:
She was everyone's bet to sweep all 4 slams this year and is favourite against anyone she plays :worship:
So it's pleasant to see this overrated ue machine lose :drool:
If Marion didn't complete the job, Martha would have done it by ripping this dog a new one.

lenas warriors
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM

I thought Kvitova could hit. Where does avg 1st serve speed 99mph come from? Baartoli averaged 101.

To be fair, from those stats it looks like Cake was thumping those serves down!

Shivank17
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Kvitova :tape: :smash:

Marion :yeah:

Dexter
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Didn't watch any of it. I'm not exactly shocked by the outcome, but I certainly didn't expect it. Marion sure can bring some fire on the court if she's motivated. Will she be good enough to take out Maria?

Hlavackova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Petra! Noooooooooooooooo. Winning USO tour and now this?

ArmAroundYou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Petra looked like a corpse by the 2nd set. Playing New Haven was one of the poorest decisions her team has ever made. She would've comfortably won this otherwise. A shame.

Break My Rapture
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Kvitty. :tape:

flareon
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Ugh, Kvitova's vulturing caught up with her. Obviously, no one saw that coming even Ludmila. A really lovely exchange at the net from Petra considering how y'all describing Cake's antics.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m949hd1lZl1qblp8lo2_250.gif

Sharapova looks stunning there :drool:

Viktymise
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Dumb ass scheduling cost Ludmila a good run here.

Mynarco
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Petra :o Honestly NH title my ass, now see what you've done here.

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Like Petra's after-match comments. No excuses, gives credit to Marion and blames herself for playing poorly in the last two sets.

Still matched her best-ever US Open result.

Good luck to Marion in the next round!

GoofyDuck
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Petra must have been SO bad :spit:

Good luck to Marion now though, she must have been really good! :)

Maria rocks
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Yes!!!! Thank you Marion!!!

18majors
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Like Petra's after-match comments. No excuses, gives credit to Marion and blames herself for playing poorly in the last two sets.

Good luck but please don't win.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Petra :( Kind of expected upset. Oh well there's always next year. At least you won 2 titles on American hardcourts this year.:cheer:

Trih
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Petra... :sad:

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM

do you have link for full presser? i can't find it, only some bits

StoneRose
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM

Good luck to Marion in the next round! Petra :yeah:. Much more realistic than some of her fans.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Petra :sobbing:. It's really hard for a player to dominate an entire 2-3 months going into a slam these days. Petra was spent out in that second and third set, it was sad to watch :sobbing:.

Well done to Marion though :yeah:.

Ferg
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
A5WeOufqPLk

Bijoux0021
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Great job, Marion. :worship:

Can't wait to watch the replay.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
cake please beat sugarpova somehow now :hysteric:

Cosmic Voices
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Omg Petra :hysteric:
I was listening to this match whilst Masha was on. Still fabulous fight and bouncing around from Maid Marion :oh:

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
do you have link for full presser? i can't find it, only some bits

No. This was from the Czech press.

longtin23
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
What happened?? What a weird scoreline...

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
A5WeOufqPLk

:lol: this never gets old. Could have been a little zanier though.

Mixal
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Who would've guessed the outcome after the 1st set?

The crowd overwhelmingly on Bartoli's side.

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
No. This was from the Czech press.
too bad, anyway I've read interview in idnes.cz, so can't complain

Larrybidd
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Marion knows how to play against the top players like Kvitova and Vika. :p

Marion knows how to play period. She's been doing this a LONG time. Slowly gaining the respect she so greatly deserves. I enjoy how she keeps proving that world class athletes come in all different kinds of packages. Nice thing to remember.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM

Petra uses a lot of variety on her serving. That will always bring the average down.

Plus, from the second set on, she couldn't buy a first serve, and I'm sure had to take off a bit off of her first serves.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
The Bartoli result is a catch 22 for all Petra fans, I believe.

Here are the scenarios below.

1) After playing so well on the US tour, Petra folds, after a great first set from apparent Asthma?

2) Petra folds cause she's physically or mentally tired from all the matches she played, and winced under Marion's pressure (though Petra actually hit more winners and made more UE in the 2nd set, and had easy chances-she was making earlier for errors).

3) Petra just folded Period!!

Neither one is a good prospect or result. But as crazy as it sounds, I guess you'd rather have Petra being physically, mentally tired, or just plain ole folding, than suffering from asthma. Cause that would create future complications and continuing confidence issues for her if it was asthma. Who knows? But it sure seem that to me (or she was dead tired or mentally exhausted), the way things unfolded. So far Petra is not making any excuses.

Like I said before, the best thing you can take from that match, was how Petra actually played that first set, and hope she bottles it for future hard court matches. That was the The Grand Slam Winning/YEC formula she used so well in 2011. It was supreme controlled aggression, mixed with variety in all facets of the game.

Anyway, the plot thickens and the journey continues for the still developing and head scratching Pey-tra Ka-vee-toe-va.

LightWarrior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Bartoli's behaviour on court was ridiculous, a total hindrance to her opponent. She looked like someone who escaped a psycho ward. What a freak show...I know that she's sweet outside the court but tonight she was out of control.

lilygotsilly
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
No one seems to realize how hard it is to play a mope a dope opponent. Isner and potro do it all he time. Simon the other day.

When your just cruising nice and easy then all of a sudden your opponent pumps up the energy , its hard for you to suddenly jump up yourself. The whole rhythm is different. And your mind plays tricks. like "what the heck is going on - i thought this was a cake walk" or "this should have been over by now!" or " im going to just fire down shots and get this over with" or "i will just wait- my opponent will start playing bad again" or simply "WHAT'S GOING ON??? IS SHE SICK, TIRED , WHAT HAPPENEND"

I dont think Kvitova's asthma thing was ever as big as she made it sound. All the Czechs and Slovaks and russians for that matter have trouble with hot humid weather.

and she was a bit fatigued from new haven. Actually been sluggish all summer, but her opponents were bad all summer. Na Li not in good form and Kirlenko is tired. Kvitova was in the same boat as everyone else - not worse

Here's the key, imo - WHAT IN GOD'S NAME GOT INTO MARION! Especially in the 3rd set. The NYC crowd? I guess that was her gasoline.... But the fact remains that Bartoli has had fatigue / body issues ALL YEAR. And this summer after Carlsbad she has been exhausted and playing horribly

SHE ALMOST LOST TO OPRANDI FOR GODS SAKE! Has everyone forgotten so soon??

This one was not a Kvitova choke, walk about, asthma or any of that. This was a joke of a match for her then all of a sudden, for the first time in months, Bartoli exploded like she was shot out of a cannon. She looked completely dead and exhausted - out of gas the first set. By the 3rd she had more energy than any other player on tour right now!

ONE OF THE ODDEST MATCHES I HAVE EVER SEEN. Because of the other action going on, I didnt watch this as close as I would have liked. Will watch a replay if I find it.

Larrybidd
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Bartoli's behaviour on court was ridiculous, a total hindrance to her opponent. She looked like someone who escaped a psycho ward. What a freak show...I know that she's sweet outside the court but tonight she was out of control.

Oh my! A player being excited about playing a great match in front of thousands of fans. How terrible! The crowd must have been booing horribly. <shaking my damn head>

LightWarrior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Oh my! A player being excited about playing a great match in front of thousands of fans. How terrible! The crowd must have been booing horribly. <shaking my damn head>

Freak show. Not the same as being excited. :rolleyes:

StoneRose
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Marion knows how to play period. She's been doing this a LONG time. Slowly gaining the respect she so greatly deserves. I enjoy how she keeps proving that world class athletes come in all different kinds of packages. Nice thing to remember.This. Marion has been searching for good form the whole year, seems it's finally there. Maria will need to play well.

Ferg
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM

Always amuses me how outraged people get on here about it and it was pretty clear the crowd on Grandstand last night loved her for it :lol:

Patrick345
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
This had nothing to do with asthma, overplaying or anything. Kvitova played four matches in New Haven, only the final was even remotely competitive. All her US Open matches were energy saving cakewalks. What happened was a typical Kvitova match until 6-1 2-4, when Bartoli suddenly took that momentum and ran out an unbelievable stretch of great play that Kvitova couldn´t stop. She tried hard in Bartoli´s 1st service game of the 3rd set to change the momentum, but two aces, a service winner and a winner later her two breakpoints were gone. A few more return winners later she was a double break down.

Bartoli´s antics are incredibly annoying and what makes them even worse the next match, she´ll lack that energy and most likely lose in a lackluster performance, see Serena --> Lisicki at Wimbledon or Azarenka --> Radwanska at Miami. In both follow-up matches she looked physically knackered in the end. All that overplaying of tournaments and jumping around always comes back to haunt her after a big win. Obviously that didn´t help Serena, Azarenka or Kvitova, who are out of the tournament and their fans annoyed by Bartoli´s behaviour.

Larrybidd
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
Freak show. Not the same as being excited. :rolleyes:

I didn't see the match, but what exactly did Marion do that nobody has done before? Rip off her top and slide around on her knees after a set winning shot? (Oh right...that's been done before)

jedw
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM

sombodies bitter :rolleyes:

I didn't see the match, but what exactly did Marion do that nobody has done before? Rip off her top and slide around on her knees after a set winning shot? (Oh right...that's been done before)

:yeah:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
No one seems to realize how hard it is to play a mope a dope opponent. Isner and potro do it all he time. Simon the other day.

When your just cruising nice and easy then all of a sudden your opponent pumps up the energy , its hard for you to suddenly jump up yourself. The whole rhythm is different. And your mind plays tricks. like "what the heck is going on - i thought this was a cake walk" or "this should have been over by now!" or " im going to just fire down shots and get this over with" or "i will just wait- my opponent will start playing bad again" or simply "WHAT'S GOING ON??? IS SHE SICK, TIRED , WHAT HAPPENEND"

I dont think Kvitova's asthma thing was ever as big as she made it sound. All the Czechs and Slovaks and russians for that matter have trouble with hot humid weather.

and she was a bit fatigued from new haven. Actually been sluggish all summer, but her opponents were bad all summer. Na Li not in good form and Kirlenko is tired. Kvitova was in the same boat as everyone else - not worse

Here's the key, imo - WHAT IN GOD'S NAME GOT INTO MARION! Especially in the 3rd set. The NYC crowd? I guess that was her gasoline.... But the fact remains that Bartoli has had fatigue / body issues ALL YEAR. And this summer after Carlsbad she has been exhausted and playing horribly

SHE ALMOST LOST TO OPRANDI FOR GODS SAKE! Has everyone forgotten so soon??

This one was not a Kvitova choke, walk about, asthma or any of that. This was a joke of a match for her then all of a sudden, for the first time in months, Bartoli exploded like she was shot out of a cannon. She looked completely dead and exhausted - out of gas the first set. By the 3rd she had more energy than any other player on tour right now!

ONE OF THE ODDEST MATCHES I HAVE EVER SEEN. Because of the other action going on, I didnt watch this as close as I would have liked. Will watch a replay if I find it.

Interesting thoughts.

One correction (I'll let you watch the match first, then come back with your comments).

The NY crowd was actually rooting for Petra, and quite loudly and clearly shouting/chanting "Pey-Tra" during the second and third set.

So it wasn't that for Marion. :lol:

PhilePhile
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
:lol:I didn't see the match, but what exactly did Marion do that nobody has done before? Rip off her top and slide around on her knees after a set winning shot? (Oh right...that's been done before)

In tennis?

Marion likes cakes and played good tennis ... it's freakishly unnatural for some people. :lol:

Ferg
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Interesting thoughts.

One correction (I'll let you watch the match first, then come back with your comments).

The NY crowd was actually rooting for Petra, and quite loudly and clearly shouting/chanting "Pey-Tra" during the second and third set.

You need to rewatch the match if you actually believe that..

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
This had nothing to do with asthma, overplaying or anything. Kvitova played four matches in New Haven, only the final was even remotely competitive. All her US Open matches were energy saving cakewalks. What happened was a typical Kvitova match until 6-1 2-4, when Bartoli suddenly took that momentum and ran out an unbelievable stretch of great play that Kvitova couldn´t stop. She tried hard in Bartoli´s 1st service game of the 3rd set to change the momentum, but two aces, a service winner and a winner later her two breakpoints were gone. A few more return winners later she was a double break down.

Bartoli´s antics are incredibly annoying and what makes them even worse the next match, she´ll lack that energy and most likely lose in a lackluster performance, see Serena --> Lisicki at Wimbledon or Azarenka --> Radwanska at Miami. In both follow-up matches she looked physically knackered in the end. All that overplaying of tournaments and jumping around always comes back to haunt her after a big win. Obviously that didn´t help Serena, Azarenka or Kvitova, who are out of the tournament and their fans annoyed by Bartoli´s behaviour.

Huh?

Its clear you did not watch the entire match and are talking out of your ass.

I believe in giving credit where credit is do, and always do. But that's not the case here.

Marion didn't actually play well until the third game of the third set. All she did was get louder and more crazier, when Petra's shots were missing and her's were falling in starting in the second set.

Marion should of been down 0-2 from the start of the second set from Petra errors. And if it that's was the case she would of folded like a cheap suit. So Marion took her opportunity. Nonetheless, Petra was in deep of everyone of Marion's service games during the second set, though Marion won it 6-2. It wasn't the white wash that Petra had in the first set. Marion still struggled, despite the score.

When Marion won the second set, she hit 5 winners with 6 UE. Kvitova had 8 win with 17UE. And many of those UE were normal, unrushed open court shots she missed, that would of put it away. Bartoli did nothing that second set but histrionics and survival.

On top of that, Petra couldn't buy a first serve, and starting (Gasp) double faulting later. Trust me that wasn't because of Marion.

I would be the first to tell you she folded or got scared, like she did with Zvonareva at Tokyo 2011, or punked out serving to stay in the tournament at match point against Pova in Aussie Open 2012. But that's not what happened her.

Petra was incapacitated in one way or the other, and Marion would of gotten mauled if she wasn't. But good for her. She won.

So please don't act like you watched the entire match, objectively. :lol:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
You need to rewatch the match if you actually believe that..

All I heard were cheers of "Pey-Tra".

They may of been cheering on Marion's comeback (who doesn't like a good comeback).

But I did not hear people chant here name CLEARLY or as much as Petra. No. Not at all.

Sorry.

Patrick345
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Huh?

Its clear you did not watch the entire match and are talking out of your ass.

I believe in giving credit where credit is do, and always do. But that's not the case here.

Marion didn't actually play well until the third game of the third set.

Okay. What did Bartoli do in your alternate universe to save those breakpoints and hold?

tejmeglekvár
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM

Probably. But playing 4 weeks in row (Olympics-Montreal-Cincinnati-NewHaven), 4-5 matches every week is not the smartest thing you can do prior a slam.
Of course if USO wasnt main priority, then it was a good 4 weeks.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM

PS:

And how the hell can you so definitely comment on someone's medical condition??

Are you her doctor? Did Petra whisper you her thoughts after the match? :lol:

Come on now. No one knows for sure. And Petra's not saying. But from watching this athlete as much as I have, I take it that something must of happened to her to lose this match the way she did. And I'm not the only one that feels that way. I've watched enough Petra matches to know when she's scared, overwhelmed, flustered or doesn't give a damn/takes some one lightly. I didn't see that.

As I said before, this wasn't your normal collapse (to you it would be stereotypical). Not at all. I'm sure there was a reason (tired/ mentally fried from Olympics and USO tournaments or asthma) or whatever.

After all, isn't this the same Marion Petra had beat 6-1 6-1, 3 wks ago on a hardcourt in Montreal? Didn't she beat her (like) 6-1 in the last set at Hopman Cup earlier this year?

But it really doesn't matter, cause Petra lost. I just thought what you said was crazy.

Nonetheless congrats to Marion.

Onward.

Craig.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
It's called passion guys. Players like Sharapova, Serena, Vika and Bartoli are some of the biggest fighters in the game. They play with fire, and players like Kvitty and Sam could learn to get some. Half of sport is a mental battle and these players just use that to their advantage more, no big deal.

If everyone was nice the tour wouldn't have a backbone. That's why when Woz was number one everyone was all ladida and life is swell... Someone did an article about it and hit the nail right on the head.

It's great to have players who love to go to war with players on court, back at the top of the game. And i personally can't wait for the epic bitch stare downs that are going to come from the Masha-Barts game. Epico!:drool:

Fucking this.

Petra :sad:

Marion :yeah: Hoping for a thriller against Mash.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Okay. What did Bartoli do in your alternate universe to save those breakpoints and hold?

As the stats said she won off of errors. Check the second set stats.

Check the match stats.

But that's not even the point.

Marion won yes. But She got totally abused in the first set, then survived the second set (regardless of the score), and ran away with it after the 3rd game of the 3rd set (both on the scoreboard and game wise, as Petra put up very little resistance during the third set). I detect a pattern there.

Remember Petra beat Marion 6-1 6-1 3 wks before in Montreal.

So whether it was asthma, being tired or mentally fried from the USO series, doesn't matter. It was clear to everyone (except you), and the most die hard Marion fan, that Petra wasn't 100% anymore. So what!?

Marion won and took advantage of it. So good for her.

And Congrats on her win!

young_gunner913
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Are people seriously talking shit about Marion's on court antics? Um HELLO!! SHE WAS FACING A PLAYER WHO FREAKING BARKS!! :facepalm:

Volcana
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Bartoli is awful, how come she now reached QF at all the Slams. :oEasy. She's NOT awful. For the last five years, she's been a top twenty player. Most of that five years, it's been top fifteen (I just looked it up, wtatennis.com). That means at a slam, she's usually a top 16 seed. So at least one out of five times, at each slam, she managed to outplay her seed by at least ONE round.

Her game works on all surfaces, but unfortunately for her, it doesn't work quite well enough to win slams.

Ferg
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
As the stats said she won off of errors. Check the second set stats.

Check the match stats.

I think he was talking about the game at the start of the third where Petra had two breakpoints and Marion hit consecutive aces and service winners to hold. And Petra hit 29 unforced errors overall, and you said she hit 17 of those in the second set right? So only 12 unforced errors in the 13 games of sets 1 and 3? The stats are not backing up what you're saying despite what you may think.

Cosmic Voices
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Remember Bartoli's comment about being sponsored? :oh:
'I'm not a tall, blonde'

young_gunner913
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I think he was talking about the game at the start of the third where Petra had two breakpoints and Marion hit consecutive aces and service winners to hold. And Petra hit 29 unforced errors overall, and you said she hit 17 of those in the second set right? So only 12 unforced errors in the 13 games of sets 1 and 3? The stats are not backing up what you're saying despite what you may think.

Marion was beating Petrified's ass in sets 2 & 3. Saying Marion "survived" set 2 is a bunch of bullshit. Petrified is lucky to have "survived" the second after how hard Marion was kicking that ass. The third set was merely a formality of the ass whooping. Marion went off court, strapped on some stilettos, came back and danced on Petrified's corpse.

Volcana
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
So whether it was asthma, being tired or mentally fried from the USO series, doesn't matter. It was clear to everyone (except you), and the most die hard Marion fan, that Petra wasn't 100% anymore.Asthma is quite treatable. I know, I have it.

if was 'asthma, being tired or mentally fried from the USO series', then it's called failing to prepare properly for one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Or maybe Kvitova herself was correct in giving the credit to Bartoli.

Raiden
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Okay. What did Bartoli do in your alternate universe to save those breakpoints and hold?I don't remember multiples of breakpoints for Petra in the second set. Not sure what Excel is talking about. Early in the second set was clearly the time Petra lost control of the match.

I'm afraid the truth is that Petra simply couldn't continue in the mode of what she started. Meanwhile Marion kept on charging and charging (in the beginning it was useless but as the games went on, it was beginning to have an effect - because it resulted in too much of the time Petra finding herself in defensive positions rather than attack. Petra kept failing in her attempts to resume the dictating - Bartoli meanwhile was not going to relent and kept up the pressure. That was it. For whatever reason Petra was unable to do what she did in the 1st set (things like smacking those passing groundstrokes left and right of Bartoli, as the Frenchwoman made one of her many charging steps from the baseline

Roookie
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Good Riddance. Petra's projected 10 slams will have to wait.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM

I know you're a fan or both players, but more so Marion.

Nonetheless, huh? I'll explain.

Marion should of/would of been out the match during the second set she won, when Petra made 17 UE's (though hit more winners than Marion did 5 to 8).

Petra made virtually no errors in the first set (when she only made 4).

And Marion won in the third set, during/after the third game, when Petra was shot (ie. she could of made her errors during the first two games), when Marion actually started hitting winners/clean shots from then on.

Makes perfect sense to me. :shrug:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
I don't remember multiples of breakpoints for Petra in the second set. Not sure what Excel is talking about. Early in the second set was clearly the time Petra lost control of the match.

I'm afraid the truth is that Petra simply couldn't continue in the mode of what she started. Meanwhile Marion kept on charging and charging (in the beginning it was useless but as the games went on, it was beginning to have an effect - because it resulted in too much of the time Petra finding herself in defensive positions rather than attack. Petra kept failing in her attempts to resume the dictating - Bartoli meanwhile was not going to relent and kept up the pressure. That was it. For whatever reason Petra was unable to do what she did in the 1st set: hit those passing shots left and right of Bartoli, as the Frenchwoman made one of her many (sometimes near-suicidal) charges

So are you Jerriy, Droog or both? :lol:

When did Petra take that extended break (if you remember)?

Was it the end of the first or 2nd set? I figured she was taking her inhaler then. It was like a 10 min break. People forget that. And it was very humid (like 80%).

And yes, Petra clearly had her chances early in the second set.

Ferg
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
I know you're a fan or both players, but more so Marion.

Nonetheless, huh? I'll explain.

Marion should of/would of been out the match during the second set she won, when Petra made 17 UE's (though hit more winners than Marion did 5 to 8).

Petra made virtually no errors in the first set (when she only made 4).

And Marion won in the third set, during/after the third game, when Petra was shot (ie. she could of made her errors during the first two games), when Marion actually started hitting winners/clean shots from then on.

Makes perfect sense to me. :shrug:

And as a fan of Petra, Im surprised you are still going on about Petra's errors. Its part of her game. I thought everyone would have realised this by now. She hits such a big ball it is extrememly hard to beat her when she doesnt hit any errors. She mostly loses matches because of her errors rather than getting outhit. But this wasnt a shitfest where she goes down with 40+ unforced errors, she only had 29 which isnt a bad number by any means for her over 3 sets. She simply got beaten by the better player. I dont think people appreciate how hard it is to deal with Bartoli's weight of shot when shes hitting as flat and hard as she did in this match.

Marion won the second set 6-2 so saying she 'survived' it is crazy. It was not a close set whatsoever aside from the first 2/3 games.

Raiden
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
So are you Jerriy, Droog or both? :lol:

When did Petra take that extended break (if you remember)?

Was it the end of the first or 2nd set? I figured she was taking her inhaler then. It was like a 10 min break. People forget that. And it was very humid (like 80%). That was after 2nd set - I thought it was just a bathroom break. I didn't think much of it beyond that. Having said that I did notice that she looked too "sulky" in the third set. That's when people started saying she was crying but I felt it looked more like she was hyperventilating/dehydrating or something).

And yes, Petra clearly had her chances early in the second set.Of course she had chances - but too much of the time was stolen by Marion taking the initiative and Petra trying to stand her ground (usually after one or two strokes she'd be moving over to attack but that was not happening enough - Petra couldn't pin down Marion in the 2nd set - simple as that (even though Petra did kept winning many of the longer ground stroke exchanges - but, of course, Marion isn't stupid so she didnt' engage in too many of those type power baseline rallies - she clearly knew her limits :lol:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
And as a fan of Petra, Im surprised you are still going on about Petra's errors. Its part of her game. I thought everyone would have realised this by now. She hits such a big ball it is extrememly hard to beat her when she doesnt hit any errors. She mostly loses matches because of her errors rather than getting outhit. But this wasnt a shitfest where she goes down with 40+ unforced errors, she only had 29 which isnt a bad number by any means for her over 3 sets. She simply got beaten by the better player. I dont think people appreciate how hard it is to deal with Bartoli's weight of shot when shes hitting as flat and hard as she did in this match.

Marion won the second set 6-2 so saying she 'survived' it is crazy. It was not a close set whatsoever aside from the first 2/3 games.

I think when you beat a player 6-1 four sets in a row, they deserve the benefit of the doubt (going back to Hopman Cup, Montreal, and the first set of the Open). :lol: Don't ya think?

Wasn't it Montreal, when Marion made her comments about Petra being harder to play against (when she's on) than Serena and Sharapova. So obviously, she felt she gotta another ass whuppin and couldn't do a damn thing about it :lol:.

Seriously, as far as the errors; yeah Petra had 29, but she only had 20 winners. So that's a lot. And like I said, she only had 4 or 5 UE's during the first set. That tells you the match right there. Twenty five (25) out of Petra's 29 UE's took place in the last two sets, with 17 of them in the 2nd set. That means Petra had only 10 winners and 25UE during the last two sets.

And as a fan, I know her tendacies. Those weren't wild errors or errant shots. Not at all. She missed some high percentage shots, that she made easily. Petra just wasn't swinging mindlessly. You could see wasn't trying to over hit. And she was missing her first serves as well. Bartoli was, she was acting crazy and screaming, when Petra was making these errors, as if she was doing something or not, once she wasn't getting her ass beat anymore.

Petra was very focused, calm, relaxed and playing high percentage tennis, up until that point (2nd set). Then she started missing everything all at once (easy balls, serves and ROS), that she was easily making. So I know what you mean about errors. However, I don't think that counts here. There are many times when Petra's playing very well when she doesn't make a lot of errors. People always seem to conveniently forget those matches. This appeared to be one of them.

That's why I felt something could of been wrong, along with the fact that she took an off the court extended break during one of the changeovers inside.

I know you like Marion, and I'm not one of her haters in the least. And she won so you gotta give her credit. But it appeared to me like another 6-1 6-1 roll over; Marion being excited or not.

But congrats to her for the win. :yeah:

Loungy
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Bartoli's behaviour on court was ridiculous, a total hindrance to her opponent. She looked like someone who escaped a psycho ward. What a freak show...
lol no. Bartoli's oncourt demeanor is obnoxious, but it's not a hindrance, especially not by WTA standards.

I can't stand it/avoid her matches because she comes across as such a sweaty,pudgy little ball of bitterness and awkwardness and it's just... extremely off-putting.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
That was after 2nd set - I thought it was just a bathroom break. I didn't think much of it beyond that. Having said that I did notice that she looked too "sulky" in the third set. That's when people started saying she was crying but I felt it looked more like she was hyperventilating/dehydrating or something).

Of course she had chances - but too much of the time was stolen by Marion taking the initiative and Petra trying to stand her ground (usually after one or two strokes she'd be moving over to attack but that was not happening enough - Petra couldn't pin down Marion in the 2nd set - simple as that (even though Petra did kept winning many of the longer ground stroke exchanges - but, of course, Marion isn't stupid so she didnt' engage in too many of those type power baseline rallies - she clearly knew her limits :lol:

That's exactly what she did early this year (in Miami and Indian Wells), when she admitted that her asthma and a virus was affecting her.

You could just see her sulk and look visibly alarmed (at Indian Wells) on court, after she played well. I mean with all respect to Marion, I don't think she could/would do that to Petra disposition after that 2nd set.

Remember Petra had lost the first 4 games in a row (and the first 18 pts in row) of the second, 6-2 to Li Na in Montreal. Nonetheless, Petra came back and won the 3rd set, match and tournament 6-3. She was also down 3-5/match point against Kirilenko in the third set, then won 5 games in a row to win the tournament. So I don't think that 2nd set against Marion would bring Petra down (no matter what Marion did or acted like); especially after she looked so calm, steely eyed and confident during that 1st set.

As far as parallels to last night US Open match, the same thing happened at Indian Wells vs McHale (after another brilliant 1st set). Petra all of a sudden appeared visibly alarmed, then literally died right after (she was recovering from a flu, and may of picked up that stomach virus as well). Of course Marion's a better player than McHale :lol:

That's why I felt something was up. She just wouldn't give up like that, after all her recent comeback success and prior on court demeanor. Petra wins enough matches in the third set, regardless what happened in the 2nd.

lilygotsilly
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Interesting thoughts.

THANKS EXCELSCIOR!

I actually saw the last two sets - but not closely as I was clued in to the Sharapova match and trying to catch up on my site's up to the minute BULLETS! (tennicrier.com)

When I saw Bartoli at the beginning of the 2nd set - she looked bewildered, exhausted and frankly like a sweaty pig. Sorry don't mean to be rude - I actually don't have a problem with Bartoli (unless she's doping).

But as for the fans - I thought they were screaming for Bartoli?? Oh well - if you see my site, you will understand why I may have had some Temporary Brain Freeze

Btw, I really like your commentaries on this Board . Was actually meaning to post that one of these days. I guess today is that day. :)

PS - DID BARTOLI TAKE ANY LONG BATHROOM BKS?

Marionated
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Marion :hysteric: didn't think you had any chance. QF at all the slams now! Can't wait to watch the highlights.

Petra :hug: maybe overplaying hurt. At least she is going to suffer another loss at the hands of Sharapova though now.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
THANKS EXCELSCIOR!

I actually saw the last two sets - but not closely as I was clued in to the Sharapova match and trying to catch up on my site's up to the minute BULLETS! (tennicrier.com)

When I saw Bartoli at the beginning of the 2nd set - she looked bewildered, exhausted and frankly like a sweaty pig. Sorry don't mean to be rude - I actually don't have a problem with Bartoli (unless she's doping).

But as for the fans - I thought they were screaming for Bartoli?? Oh well - if you see my site, you will understand why I may have had some Temporary Brain Freeze

Btw, I really like your commentaries on this Board . Was actually meaning to post that one of these days. I guess today is that day. :)

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Well, I heard the crowd always calling Petra's name and rarely Bartoli's. But others here are saying that the crowd was Cheering for Bartoli, so you could be right. However, I only noticed that when she made (what would seem to them/the crowd) a miraculous comeback. So yeah, she got cheers. But during the quiet moments, and the rhythmic chants, all I heard was mostly Petra.

It's funny you say how Bartoli appeared ("bewildered, exhausted and frankly like a sweaty pig". If I can add, I figured she felt "damn I'm catching another beatdown by this girl, shit"! :lol: And Petra appeared as calm, composed and confident as a cucumber. Why wouldn't she be after that first set (and her previous ones against Marion). :lol:

That's another reason why I felt "something must of been up". Yeah Petra can make mistakes and go on siesta. But she seemed very focused, measured and well within herself. And usually when she plays like that, you don't have a prayer in hell (as their previous 4 sets). :lol:

I don't think Bartoli took an extended bathroom break. Because if you remember she was waiting for Petra for a while, then started dancing by herself and then Petra came out, in what appeared 10 min later or so.

Remember/hoped that helped (unless you were multi-tasking).

When I get a chance I'll check your site. :lol:

lilygotsilly
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Excelsior,

Cool - thanks. Well if you saw Bartoli bouncing then I guess your right. Was the Petra Break after the 1st or 2nd set? Was there anymore long BR breaks?

Anyway, I live close to the US Open (check out my map on the home page). And I go every year. When players fight like Bartoli the NY crowd absolutely loves that stuff! And the post match reactions were BIG for Bartoli. So I think it was Bartoli.

If there were no bathroom bks and nothing fishy, then Im left with a HUMAN MIRACLE. Basically she's exhausted - and has been for a while.

But there is a thing called "Mind Over Matter". THE NIGHT CROWD - HER DAD PUMPED HER UP - SHE WAS GETTING KILLED ANYWAY - What the heck - nothing to lose - and she just fought, got into a zone (like in long distance running , when your body is tired, but you get into a rhythm) and then fed on a sluggish kvitova and the crowd energy! By the 3rd set she was on fire. Wow!

Kvitova's asthma didnt seem that bad all summer. The Wilson US Open ball is bigger than ever this year - easier for Kvitova to control so she's done better (Mont, Cincy, NH). But she's just tired a bit - shouldn't have played New Haven.

Bartoli is way more tired and been in terrible form, but GOT IN THE ZONE and Kvitova doesn't have the movement - especially with some fatigue - to catch up to that kind of ferocious tennis.

Who knows, maybe Bartoli will end up in the hospital against Sharapova ?? Too much is too much. Or maybe she now has some sort of incredible 2nd wind - but I would have to see that to believe it. After watching her tennis since Carlsbad

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Excelsior,

Cool - thanks. Well if you saw Bartoli bouncing then I guess your right. Was the Petra Break after the 1st or 2nd set? Was there anymore long BR breaks?

Anyway, I live close to the US Open (check out my map on the home page). And I go every year. When players fight like Bartoli the NY crowd absolutely loves that stuff! And the post match reactions were BIG for Bartoli. So I think it was Bartoli.

If there were no bathroom bks and nothing fishy, then Im left with a HUMAN MIRACLE. Basically she's exhausted - and has been for a while.

But there is a thing called "Mind Over Matter". THE NIGHT CROWD - HER DAD PUMPED HER UP - SHE WAS GETTING KILLED ANYWAY - What the heck - nothing to lose - and she just fought, got into a zone (like in long distance running , when your body is tired, but you get into a rhythm) and then fed on a sluggish kvitova and the crowd energy! By the 3rd set she was on fire. Wow!

Kvitova's asthma didnt seem that bad all summer. The Wilson US Open ball is bigger than ever this year - easier for Kvitova to control so she's done better (Mont, Cincy, NH). But she's just tired a bit - shouldn't have played New Haven.

Bartoli is way more tired and been in terrible form, but GOT IN THE ZONE and Kvitova doesn't have the movement - especially with some fatigue - to catch up to that kind of ferocious tennis.

Who knows, maybe Bartoli will end up in the hospital against Sharapova ?? Too much is too much. Or maybe she now has some sort of incredible 2nd wind - but I would have to see that to believe it. After watching her tennis since Carlsbad

Apparently the break was after the second set. I remember when it was happening. I had told a relative, "maybe she's taken an inhaler?".

The reason why I thought inhaler, was because of how long the break was and her play during the second set in direct contrast to the first with the third coming up. Other wise, I would agree with you that she was tired and/or mentally fried from her USO series, culminating with New Haven, as you said. Something was up why she took that long ass break after that inept 2nd set (not just wishful thinking from a hopeful Petra fan). :lol:

Like you with Marion, I watched Petra all summer as well. And I don't think she could of been intimidated or shocked into poor play by Marion (as some here are saying). And I also realize Marion played a lot of matches, with very up and down play, regardless of the results. She looked tired and beaten this summer, even in victory sometimes. In contrast, Petra appeared supremely confident and had gotten out of more stickier situations than yesterday's second set in Montreal and New Haven. After the first set, Petra didn't appear like she had broken a sweat. So I'm not buying the "Petra shocked/freaked out" meme. :lol:

But yeah, maybe Marion caught the holy ghost. :confused: Cause she didn't have a lot of rest or an extended break, as you asked, during the post 2nd set break/changeover. :lol:

But you're a fair person to talk to. And you've obviously watched both players this summer (or at least are fair and balanced in discussing them), and have come to the conclusion that Petra was tired, or Marion found some reserve supernatural force. :eek:

That's probably why you like my commentary. Cause though I can be a fan of my player, I have no problem pointing out their mistakes and giving the other credit (though it may not appear that way sometimes to some people). However, instead of speaking in generalities, I usually speak in detail, cause I won't comment on stuff that I don't know about (as so many others seem to do here ad naseum with out caveat, humility or humor).

StephenUK
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I was right to be worried about this match-up being a possible trap for Petra! :(

Oh well, a disappointing end to a great US Open Series, especially as Petra would have completed the set of quarters in all slams if she had won this match.

On the other hand, given Petra's often ropey performances and static movement this year, the fact that she is still top 5, won the US Open Series despite her dismal previous record, and has managed two semis and a quarter in the slams out of three, is pretty reasonable. Let's hope she can just work hard on her game, her fitness and her movement and come back better next year.

You've got to hand it to Marion, though. She is probably the most underestimated player in women's tennis and she shows this time and again with these giant-killing wins on big occasions. The US has always been a bit of a misery slam for her, but like with Roland Garros last year, she has just turned it around out of nowhere. Well done to her!:worship:

homogenius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
the asthma excuse ? sorry but no.Kvitova didn't look totally spent out there in the last 2 sets and she didn't seem out of breath either.She simply had no answer to marion's game (especially to her returns)in the 3rd and couldn't deal with her intensity and fight.

Stonerpova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Where the absolute FUCK did this come out of. Worst form of her career playing against the form player of the hardcourt summer, and bagels her :lol: What the hell.

Marion has now made the quarters of every slam :bowdown:

My initial reaction too :spit:

Kon.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
I was really hoping Petra would go deeper here. Even though a slam R4 isn't bad, it feels underwhelming after her USO series.
Good for Marion though. :yeah: Very impressive, especially considering her recent form. Quarters in every slam, nice.

cn ireland
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Brilliant win for Marion:D

cogent53
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
I was right to be worried about this match-up being a possible trap for Petra! :(

Oh well, a disappointing end to a great US Open Series, especially as Petra would have completed the set of quarters in all slams if she had won this match.

On the other hand, given Petra's often ropey performances and static movement this year, the fact that she is still top 5, won the US Open Series despite her dismal previous record, and has managed two semis and a quarter in the slams out of three, is pretty reasonable. Let's hope she can just work hard on her game, her fitness and her movement and come back better next year.

You've got to hand it to Marion, though. She is probably the most underestimated player in women's tennis and she shows this time and again with these giant-killing wins on big occasions. The US has always been a bit of a misery slam for her, but like with Roland Garros last year, she has just turned it around out of nowhere. Well done to her!:worship:

Agree with your assessment of Petra's year. She's not had a bad year on paper, but the slight disappointment many of us feel is because she promised so much. End of last year, her best was just glorious, and looked like a new great player was born. Ah well, she has room for improvement and an improvement from world number 5 has to be good.

Also agree Marion is under estimated a lot. She is such an oddball! Weird little prancing around, never bouncing the ball, looking not exactly athletic... However she did play very well and has beaten pretty much all the top players on her day. She must be very aggravating to play against as you don't know what is coming from her racquet.

Raiden
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Agree with your assessment of Petra's year. She's not had a bad year on paper, but the slight disappointment many of us feel is because she promised so much. End of last year, her best was just glorious, and looked like a new great player was born. Ah well, she has room for improvement and an improvement from world number 5 has to be good.

Also agree Marion is under estimated a lot. She is such an oddball! Weird little prancing around, never bouncing the ball, looking not exactly athletic... However she did play very well and has beaten pretty much all the top players on her day. She must be very aggravating to play against as you don't know what is coming from her racquet.Actually she does bounce the ball.

In fact she takes it up a notch: she herself also bounces synchronously (with the ball :oh:

Excelscior
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:56 AM

Also agree Marion is under estimated a lot. She is such an oddball! Weird little prancing around, never bouncing the ball, looking not exactly athletic... However she did play very well and has beaten pretty much all the top players on her day. She must be very aggravating to play against as you don't know what is coming from her racquet.

Nicely stated (bolded part) Cogent. :yeah:

And yes Marion has a wacky way of coming up with these type of victories (Serena last year at Wimby, ending Vika's 26 match win streak, or whatever it was-earlier this year), etc. :lol:

Ntosake
Sep 4th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Congrats Bartoli!

Kvitova :hug:

lilygotsilly
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM
THANKS EXCELSCIOR!

Apparently the break was after the second set. I remember when it was happening. I had told a relative, "maybe she's taken an inhaler?".

The reason why I thought inhaler, was because of how long the break was and her play during the second set in direct contrast to the first with the third coming up. Other wise, I would agree with you that she was tired and/or mentally fried from her USO series, culminating with New Haven, as you said. Something was up why she took that long ass break after that inept 2nd set (not just wishful thinking from a hopeful Petra fan). :lol:

Like you with Marion, I watched Petra all summer as well. And I don't think she could of been intimidated or shocked into poor play by Marion (as some here are saying). And I also realize Marion played a lot of matches, with very up and down play, regardless of the results. She looked tired and beaten this summer, even in victory sometimes. In contrast, Petra appeared supremely confident and had gotten out of more stickier situations than yesterday's second set in Montreal and New Haven. After the first set, Petra didn't appear like she had broken a sweat. So I'm not buying the "Petra shocked/freaked out" meme. :lol:

But yeah, maybe Marion caught the holy ghost. :confused: Cause she didn't have a lot of rest or an extended break, as you asked, during the post 2nd set break/changeover. :lol:

But you're a fair person to talk to. And you've obviously watched both players this summer (or at least are fair and balanced in discussing them), and have come to the conclusion that Petra was tired, or Marion found some reserve supernatural force. :eek:

That's probably why you like my commentary. Cause though I can be a fan of my player, I have no problem pointing out their mistakes and giving the other credit (though it may not appear that way sometimes to some people). However, instead of speaking in generalities, I usually speak in detail, cause I won't comment on stuff that I don't know about (as so many others seem to do here ad naseum with out caveat, humility or humor).

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I don't think Kvitova was "shocked" or "intimidated". I think for ANY athlete its hard to SHIFT GEARS. Especially if your fatigued a little bit.

Honestly, when you think about it, NO women played that well this summmer. They are ALL tired. Li, Kerber, kvitova. Serena looked tired too. Stosur I think was tanking a bit maybe as she seems to have some energy.

BUT BARTOLI WAS REALLY REALLY TIRED .I mean she just looked tired a lot this year anyway. Looked OK at Stanford and Carlsbad. Then really bad again. Even her first two rds here.

I watch all these players - Im telling you that bartoli looked so tired - and BAM miracle energy. That's hard for an opponent.

Ask George Foreman. Muhmmad Ali's rope a dope totally stunned him.

lilygotsilly
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Of course Petra wa sluggish this summer. A lot of the girls were. Na li was out in Montreal then Safarova choked badly. Kvitova almost lost to pervak in montreal then pervak was injured.

But the surprise isnt a tired kvitova or any girl right now. But the shock was the energy that suddenly came from Bartoli after she has been the most exhausted off all he top players!

Excelscior
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I don't think Kvitova was "shocked" or "intimidated". I think for ANY athlete its hard to SHIFT GEARS. Especially if your fatigued a little bit.

Honestly, when you think about it, NO women played that well this summmer. They are ALL tired. Li, Kerber, kvitova. Serena looked tired too. Stosur I think was tanking a bit maybe as she seems to have some energy.

BUT BARTOLI WAS REALLY REALLY TIRED .I mean she just looked tired a lot this year anyway. Looked OK at Stanford and Carlsbad. Then really bad again. Even her first two rds here.

I watch all these players - Im telling you that bartoli looked so tired - and BAM miracle energy. That's hard for an opponent.

Ask George Foreman. Muhmmad Ali's rope a dope totally stunned him.

I know, agree with every thing you said Lily.

Maybe you didn't realize it, but there were another poster claiming that Petra was overwhelmed by the Bartoli onslaught. I didn't say you said that. I just included that line in my response.

lilygotsilly
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Got it :)

I had a feeling i had misread, but thought I would just clarify anyway

rockbottom
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Frenchie girl really needs to tone it down, bad sportmanship for both the players and fans. Hope somebody from her camp get it through her thick head her antics are stupid.