PDA

View Full Version : USO R3: (12) Ivanovic def. Stephens 6-7 6-4 6-2

Horizon
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:42 AM
Was too emotionally invested into this match.

But loved it :hearts:

joão.
ANA!!! Messy but won :rolleyes: :cheer:
Pls reach the QFs :o

KoOlMaNsEaN
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m199f2DkSD1qfprxc.gif

I am so happy but I am also so emotionally wrecked from having watched Ana play this match.

Edy.
:inlove:

She was awful in the 1st set, but recovered well. Her net play was impressive :yeah:

Now reach that quarterfinal :)

Smitten
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:43 AM
NID. As I said before, Stephens is just a poorer version of Ana in this matchup.

Can't take the ball earlier. Can't win the BH to BH rallies. Even though both BHs are local, Ana has much more ability to junk and bullshit her way in the rallies.

FH to FH is no comparison.

Stephens has a lot of work to do.

Cosmic Voices
Ana :cheer:
Sloane, you've got yourself a new fan :yeah:

Dexter
Ana improved as the match went on and Sloane started to tire. I really like her... she's the best out of young Americans IMHO and I wish her all the best for the rest of the season. :hug:

Pironkova for the QFs? :spit: Dont screw it please. :awww:

Sean.
Phew! So happy for Ana, a year or so ago Ana would have crumbled there. An error fest for the most part, but she got the W, that's huge for her! :hearts:

:hug: Sloane has a great future! She moves fantastically! Just needs to work on staying aggressive!

hobahobaspirit
Stephens is such a pusher ... Girl needs to develop some weapons

saul1333
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Good stuff :yeah:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
At least going to be a QF.:cheer: :oh:

Raiden
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Brunette bffs ftw!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-I7KSwEJPpXo/UEK5HpJnqmI/AAAAAAAAH20/SEmSJTUvUYM/s598/sori-ana-box.png

On a serious sidenote, Sloane needs to do something drastic about the complete breakdown of her wits when serving. She would have been forgiven a meltdown or two for a few moments - but not what just happened routinely today, when she DFed herself into a defecit, service game after service game. At such a stage that is tantamount to begging to be punished

JN
:sobbing::bounce::sobbing::bounce::sobbing: :bounce: It would've been the same if Sloane had won.

Purple_Rain
Sloane let Ana dictate play. Even though her defense was great, you just can't let Ana tee off on her forehand.

But 2:22 is good news for Tsveti.

edificio
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:46 AM
Topsy-turvy match. Ana overcame her errors while Sloane did not.

Sloane really needs to be less passive and improve her serve.

Huntress55
Good job Ana :yeah:

Sloane :hug:

M.P
please make QF :awww:

SELVEN
Ana,thanks for your effort. Next round will be more tough, good luck.

danieln1
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:47 AM
Was too emotionally invested into this match.

But loved it :hearts:

Me too, it´s impossible not to get emotionally invested into her matches, because we love her :inlove:

Now TRASH Pironkova please.... but I can see this mug giving all sorts of troubles for Ivanovic :fiery:

Deestruction
Im so proud of Ana dammit you made me cry :sobbing: :crying2:

Sloane you are still my girl and you still have a fan in me, keep it up girl dont give up, have faith baby girl :smooch:

Steff_forever
Ana :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:
:inlove: again

Sloane :bowdown: :smooch: :hug: :smooch: :bowdown:
:sad:
what a g8 player she is

KournikovaFan91
Ana :tape:

The 2nd Law
I must say I think I could easily become a fan of Sloane, I love the way she moves and she definitely has weapons. Needs to improve her second serve and she seems to be more defensively minded when I think she could dictate a bit more. Tough luck, Sloane :hugs:

Huge mental battle for Ana, and she found her range on the forehand after a shit first set. Now please refocus and be ready to give everything against Pironkova, it's pretty much a final for both of tjem :lol: Proud of her effort today :yeah:

fluffyelloballz
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:48 AM
Ana is all grown up now. She lost all the baby fat and in her on court interview she seemed quite different to the giggly girl back in 2008.
My point though is she grew up in her match play too. She really held it together in that last set and started to construct points and wait to blast the forehand.
I think I have a bit of a crush now :)

casholic
Awwwwww a little heartbroken for Sloane but closer this year than last year. Shows her great improvement made in a year. Hopefully she continues this upward trend and breaks the top 20 next year.

Reach that QF Ana!

tennisrules
Thrilled for Ana :bounce:- she's been folding in these three-match situations over the last few years, good to see her fight.

Sloane:hug:If she can work out the mental kinks in her game (all those DFs:eek:) she will be a future superstar for sure. She's inching closer and closer to the Top 20. By this time next year I hope she's there.

Freakan
Ana looks and plays like a mental wreck, I really doubt she'll ever be back unless she takes a long break.

djb84xi
Ivanovic STILL annoys the hell out of me. Sloane competed well, but she is still very much a work in progress. I think the 3 biggest things she has to work on are 1) her serve, 2) playing with more controlled aggression, and 3) learning to stay positive, regardless of the scoreline. She just didn't have that look of believe on her face, that she could win this, and that alone cost her the match. I think she has a great deal of promise, but there is still much work to be done. Great tournament for Sloane. Very proud of her!!! :)

Battiv
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:50 AM
Great match! Attack versus defense. Sloane very good defensive pusher; Ana has played very well, netplay too. Very good her serve last two sets, and not badly her BH.

iWill
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:50 AM
Great win for Ana. I was pulling for Sloane but Ivanovic is still one of my faves and I want to see her competing for slams once again. Sloane needs to develop more confidence. She has the game to blow players off the court but she can be way too tentative. Either way she is looking like a lock for top 25, an adjustment in her mental game and she is top 10.

tenisamulo
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:51 AM
Just incredible defensive skills from Sloane, but needed to move Ana around more than she did in that 3rd set. Ana played a good match.

hingisGOAT
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:51 AM
The match started off bad, lots of errors, but by the end of it, Ana was just in the ZONE with her forehand. Just crushing every single ball on that side. One of the few times she has ever impressed me.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:52 AM
Ana looks and plays like a mental wreck, I really doubt she'll ever be back unless she takes a long break.

Agree she needs a break and personally I think needs to go back to basics with the serve and groundstrokes I mean the ball toss is still horrendous and the errors are a joke :help:

I liked Sloane tonight and I could become a fan of hers, great movement from her.

Matej
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:53 AM
Well, that was a mess of a match. There were actually pretty few points that Stephens won on her own, thanks to her good play. The vast majority of the points she won were UEs by Ivanovic.

I was not impressed by Stephens´game at all. For example, Laura Robson would probably routine this version of Ivanovic something like 6-3, 6-3.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
I was not impressed by Stephens´game at all. For example, Laura Robson would probably routine this version of Ivanovic something like 6-3, 6-3.

This weeks Robson maybe. Even then a lot of the shit that Sloane ran down and returned Laura would never have gotten too. Sloane's movement helped her return tons of balls and then Ana would hit an error.

treufreund
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:57 AM
Yes I think that Sloane's serve fell apart late in the match mainly due to her passive play. She was moved ALL OVER THE COURT chasing down huge forehands and short volleys from Ana. Even as fast and as athletic as Sloane is there could be no doubt that such hard physical work would takes it toll on her emotional and physical fortitude. Ana ground her down with all that great offense and then eventually Stephens's serve and tactics began to falter. Ana played this so tough and smart which is bizarre for her LOL. Sloane thought she could win by being the roadrunner but Ana was not letting her off the hook.

Berlin_Calling
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:58 AM
I was sure Sloane was going to make the quarterfinal :(

Spring Pools
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Ana was a beast at net

Slutiana
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Dreadful match. Ivanovic could reach the QF without playing a single top 40 player. Pretty much the only way it was happening. :lol:

NID. As I said before, Stephens is just a poorer version of Ana in this matchup.

Can't take the ball earlier. Can't win the BH to BH rallies. Even though both BHs are local, Ana has much more ability to junk and bullshit her way in the rallies.

FH to FH is no comparison.

Stephens has a lot of work to do.
For real. Her footwork is the single most embarrassing thing I've seen on a tennis court, her backhand makes Miss Golovin's look like a weapon and her second serve had me writing a suicide note. There's clearly athletic potential and she is also more than capable of attacking her forehand and easily serving over 115 but if she wants to be remotely successful, she simply needs to become a better tennis player.

RenaSlam.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:01 AM
Sloane's double faults really came at the worst moments. Not enough aggression, IMO.

Ana picked up her level though.

Matej
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
This weeks Robson maybe. Even then a lot of the shit that Sloane ran down and returned Laura would never have gotten too. Sloane's movement helped her return tons of balls and then Ana would hit an error.

Yes, but did you notice how many Stephens´ shots landed around the service line (without any obvious reason, i.e. without being forced by Ivanovic to play such a short shot) and thus allowed Ivanovic to take control of the points?

Achernar
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
I only caught the match in the middle, but it was very entertaining from there, with high quality exchanges. I was sure Ivanovic would find a way to lose another tight match, but she finally pulled through :eek: Well done :bounce:

I'm becoming a fan of Sloane Stephens. She has some real potential, she's gracious, she has good sportsmanship... Nice girl. Players like her, Bouchard, Robson, are giving me faith in women's tennis.

Brunette bffs ftw!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-I7KSwEJPpXo/UEK5HpJnqmI/AAAAAAAAH20/SEmSJTUvUYM/s598/sori-ana-box.png

On a very serious note Sloane needs to do something drastic about the complete breakdown of her nerves when serving

Are they friend?

Deestruction
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:05 AM
I only caught the match in the middle, but it was very entertaining from there, with high quality exchanges. I was sure Ivanovic would find a way to lose another tight match, but she finally pulled through :eek: Well done :bounce:

I'm becoming a fan of Sloane Stephens. She has some real potential, she's gracious, she has good sportsmanship... Nice girl. Players like her, Bouchard, Robson, are giving me faith in women's tennis.

Are they friend?
BFF's since 2010 :inlove: :drool:

Dexter
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:07 AM
Official US Open website fail :help:

No. 12 seed Ana Ivanovic of Croatia was two games away from losing against American crowd favorite Sloane Stephens, but she managed to dig deep and prevail in a marathon 6-7, 6-4, 6-2 win with plenty of dramatic points and shifts in momentum.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2012-09-01/201209011346550771100.html?promo=home

Deestruction
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:09 AM
That should be an insult:o......i think :unsure:

dybbuk
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:10 AM
Dreadful match. Ivanovic could reach the QF without playing a single top 40 player. Pretty much the only way it was happening. :lol:

For real. Her footwork is the single most embarrassing thing I've seen on a tennis court, her backhand makes Miss Golovin's look like a weapon and her second serve had me writing a suicide note. There's clearly athletic potential and she is also more than capable of attacking her forehand and easily serving over 115 but if she wants to be remotely successful, she simply needs to become a better tennis player.

For real. I'm not sure where all the hopeful predictions (top 20, someone even said top 10) are coming from. I'm not saying she can't improve, but she has a LONG WAY to go. She completely collapsed against Ana ffs. ANA IVANOVIC held her nerve better than she did. Sloane's backhand is just a mess, the motion itself is jerky and strange and she hits it too close to her body. All of that plus her footwork leaves her prone to shanks, and miss-hits and just simply not being able to redirect the ball into the open court.

She has some upside if she really works at it. But she really needs to work at it.

Balltossovic
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:11 AM
I am so freaking happy:sobbing:

Excelscior
Wow!

Ana clubbed Sloane to death around the court like one of those Baby Seals in the arctic for their fur (not a nice business of course) with her forehand the 2nd and third set.

She just slapped Sloane around silly on top of the baseline, stepping in, and going to the net every chance she had. And it worked. She just took control (minus all the df's and breaks by both players and shanks by Ana, and poor backhands and passiveness by Sloane). But I'm sure she'll take it, and is quite happy with herself for making it this far.

Good Luck to her.

Horizon
Are they friend?
Yes :p

In Sorana's WTA blog:
Met up for an easy relaxed dinner with my best friend afterwards... and in case I won't fly out tomorrow I will go and support her in the evening because she is playing the first night session match.
(http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/20120831/sorana-cirsteas-us-open-blog-friday_2257191_2907625)

DefyingGravity
Disaster and a half, but a win is a win.

Deestruction
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:13 AM
I am so freaking happy:sobbing:

Its been hard watching this match, i love both players but Ana is my love. :sobbing:

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:14 AM
Oh please, this was no tactical victory for Anci :lol:. She just kept blasting away like she did from the beginning, missing forehand service returns left and right. She actually made more rrors in the 2nd set and was down multiple BPs early, but some good serving (have to give her that, her 2nd serve held up really well) and godawful nothing-BH errors from Stephens bailed her out. After that she looked calmer and knew she could win even if she happened to fall behind, and just kept doing the same thing. Stephens was just in retrieval mode.

That near-hindrance call :happy: deep in the 1st set when Anci was in desperation mode.

Matt01
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
Ana :hearts:

:crying2:

SilverSlam
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Ana :eek: I was so expecting her to fold after losing that first set TB. And the. That game at 4-4 in the second :eek: lost a few BPs and still broke.

Good too see her winning three setters now.

Linguae^
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Official US Open website fail :help:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2012-09-01/201209011346550771100.html?promo=homeAnd then someone here tells me I'm coming from a genocide country and that my nation likes doing such a thing. USA? This is ridiculous. USA is USA. We know it couldn't have been done accidentally, the world knows that's the way of bullying on us. I'm not intimidated, I'm more intimidated by those bombs who killed so many people just 13 years ago here, all round, and I still don't blame on anybody. People who don't want to share love should leave us alone. We just want peace. You don't need to support, but be a man. :)

Achernar
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:21 AM
BFF's since 2010 :inlove: :drool:

Yes :p

In Sorana's WTA blog:

(http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/20120831/sorana-cirsteas-us-open-blog-friday_2257191_2907625)

Thanks guys. That's sweet indeed :inlove:

gmokb
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM
Stephens has the potential to be a very good player but needs more time to improve, especially her serves. Currently her game is no threat to the top players. Wonder if Daddy Williams would be willing to coach her?

fifty-fifty
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:24 AM
Ana :eek: I was so expecting her to fold after losing that first set TB. And the. That game at 4-4 in the second :eek: lost a few BPs and still broke.

Good too see her winning three setters now.

Looks like she a lot stronger mentally.

AjdeNate!
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:34 AM
Not pretty. At all.

LenaDMania0003
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:46 AM
Ajdeeeeee Ana! :yeah: :fistpump:

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:47 AM
Thank God :sobbing:.

Ntosake
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:06 AM
Congratz Ana!

Well done, Sloane! Work hard to get better, you had an excellent run!

Reptilia
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:24 AM
Thought Ana played really well. She has some wild misses, but that's always gonna be the case with her gamestyle.

woosey
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
an ugly match.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:36 AM
Stephens is such a pusher ... Girl needs to develop some weapons

she is. :o

Matej
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:43 AM
By the way, if you compare this match to their match at US Open 2011, can you honestly say that Stephens improved any part of her game noticeably? I don´t think so. The difference in scoreline is mainly because Ivanovic played much worse than last year (at least in the first and second set).

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
By the way, if you compare this match to their match at US Open 2011, can you honestly say that Stephens improved any part of her game noticeably? I don´t think so. The difference in scoreline is mainly because Ivanovic played much worse than last year (at least in the first and second set).

this.

Maria4Ever
Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Such a rubbish match, but thankfully the ball pusher is gone, Ana at her best can trouble the top seeds

Kon.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Congrats Ana! Now get that QF ffs. :sobbing:
Sloane. :hug: I started liking this girl even more this tournament.

TZVETI83
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Good job Ana

bandabou
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
Bad match strategically by Sloane. Hitting to the Ana's forehand the whole match?! :facepalm:

Simugna Help
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Bad match strategically by Sloane. Hitting to the Ana's forehand the whole match?! :facepalm:
It's not like Sloane is great at cross court backhand exchanges herself.

bandabou
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
It's not like Sloane is great at cross court backhand exchanges herself.

:lol: I guess so, but hitting to Ana's forehand is suicide.

Alycia.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
A win is a win :yeah:
Now take out Tsvetana please and reach that QF.

momo_rama
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
I think Ana tried some positive things out there. Liked how she wanted to move forward and how solid her serve was. Once she put some margin on her shots she started to control things alot easier. Sloane played well, but was too content to be solid. She can rip forehands, and probably had to hit more bh than she wanted to, but she is a great competitor at such a young age. Gud luck da next round adje :)

Sombrerero loco
Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
NID. now tsveti catch her please!

evana
Sep 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
well done, Ana! :o :bounce:

marineblue
Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Ana was a beast at net

Sometimes rather wounded beast. She mishit quite a few volleys and sometimes rushing to the net was a bit silly because Stephens hit a good passing shot.

Navratil
Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
- you just gotta love Ana!
- what a cute girl ;)
- fantastic Stephens: Top 20 potential!
- great defense from Stephens
- amazing forehand winners from Ana
- but way too inconsistent...
- still: good draw! great chance for her first GS quarter final since her Roland Garros title 2008!
- on her way back to Top 10
- intersting: Stephens only beat Görges as a Top 20 player last year plus Kirilenko by ret. this year in Strassburg
- still: great season and upcoming US star
- best match i've seen so far at this years US open

Tenis Srbija
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
HIDEOUS match :sobbing: Thank God Sloan out-brainfarted Ana in the end. Still, some of the FHs in the first set were just :drool:

laurie
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
It was an interesting but strange match at the same time. It looked for a long time like Sloane Stevens would win but her inexperience at the top level cost her the match I felt. She seems to have some big shots but wasn't prepared to use them a lot more.

At the same time, I thought Ivanovic didn't use her experience at all very well until almost the end, when she started coming to net a lot more to put the pressure on, that worked well. It's nice to rip forehands over and over again, but it gets a bit tiring to watch 50% go in and 50% go out, perhaps that is why Ivanovic hasn't maintained a top 10 ranking because she is too inconsistent.

I am very interested to see how Ivanovic plays in the next round.

Fuzzylogic
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
This match made me wonder how Ivanovic's fans must cope :help: I'm not that much of a fan, but with Brilliant shot, UE, UE, UE, brilliant shot, rinse and repeat, I wanted to tear my hair out because I was rooting for her.

Larrybidd
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
This match made me wonder how Ivanovic's fans must cope :help: I'm not that much of a fan, but with Brilliant shot, UE, UE, UE, brilliant shot, rinse and repeat, I wanted to tear my hair out because I was rooting for her.

Ivanovic has one style of play, Radwanska has another. If the errors bother some of you, then be a fan of the steady, safe player. I don't understand tennis fans. (This isn't directed at you Fuzzy, so much as being a general statement to folks complaining about UE's)

Different players have different styles of play. I prefer the more aggressive ones, but I know that that style of play comes with lots of UE's and at times, a whole lot of UE's and ain't pretty. I can respect any style of play that wins, however. So all this crap about Wozniacki and others being "pushers" just kills me. Players who can win at this level have earned our respect.

Shinjiro
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Basically it came down to Ana's accuracy vs Sloane's athleticism.

No wonder it got really ugly at times, and while the first two sets could have gone either way IMO, the decider was pretty much NID.

Ryan
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Love this result, would have been happy if Sloane won too. MAKE THE QFs ANA!!!!

rnwerner
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
How can anybody say this was a good/important/huge win for Ana.

She is No. 12 of the world, she HAS to reach 4th round.

Her first good win would be 4th round to reach quarters.

She was in 4th round at a lot of Slams but not further.
IMO, it was a routine win, a hot mess, some great winners, loads of bad errors.

dangalak
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
:lol: I guess so, but hitting to Ana's forehand is suicide.

Sharapova was overpowering her easily by going FH to FH. :lol:

reptar
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
This match literally gave me a nightmare :scared: I dreamt I was watching Ana's tennis match and every time someone hits the net both the players and the audience gets electrocuted! I woke up with a jolt :explode:

Simugna Help
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Sometimes rather wounded beast. She mishit quite a few volleys and sometimes rushing to the net was a bit silly because Stephens hit a good passing shot.

She won 27/37 net points. Of those 10 she lost, how many would she win if she stayed at the baseline? If not all, then it was probably a good decision to come forward more often than not.

Monica_Rules
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Is Ana back?

Her draw has opened up a little. Would be great to see her in a GS QF again

Tenis Srbija
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Is Ana back?

Her draw has opened up a little. Would be great to see her in a GS QF again

She defeated Svitolina, Arvidsson and Stephens. Far from being "back" :shrug: I just hope she doesn't shit herself against Pironkova :sobbing: Never, ever, ever had she had such a good position to be in GS QF, for the first time after 2008...

Battiv
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
She defeated Svitolina, Arvidsson and Stephens. Far from being "back"

I believe that Ana isn't back, because Ana never went away. This is Ana. Ana winner RG2008 was without pressure and her weaknesses didn't express.

fluffyelloballz
Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
When Ana found that forehand I was genuinely excited!
Here are my thoughts on the match if anyone wants to read them

http://fluffyyellowballs.com/?p=359

Roookie
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Yay Ana :bounce: