PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

jrollaneres25
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
I think that's a huge statement from Venus after losing to Kerber in the 3-set thriller. Kerber played well enough to win against Venus AND the American crowd.

I couldn't have said what Venus said any better!

NbcfKDEDnck
1:55 in the Video

Venus also said that she "waited her whole Career for that moment in having the crowd support.

Although, there was one other time I remember Venus having Major crowd support in the 97 Semifinal against Spirlea and the famous "bump" incident.

Also when she played Henin in the 07 Semi's, she had a pretty good crowd response, but nothing like this past match!

Venus just needs to take her time and calm down and cut back on errors and she'll be fine. She has to start over

JN
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Speak on it, Vee!

Now just concentrate on winnin' that doubles trophy with your sister. http://l.yimg.com/a/lib/msg/img/aurora/emot/201105/cheer.gif

Sammo
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM
So she hadn't felt like an American before? That can only mean one thing... SHE IS A COMMUNIST NAZI!!! :eek:

Sammo
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
oliviasmith is a commi nazi too for badrepping me, there's a conspiration...

bobbynorwich
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
Venus is talking nonsense that she doesn't get fan support at the US Open, listen to the noisy and wildly cheering fans for her at the 2001 USO final:

N3yk7Vyt1UM

Raiden
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM
"I know the feeling, sista V - holler"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hScuR1Tadeo/TnT4_T-tfJI/AAAAAAAAEck/9T8ZeOBFp7A/s720/michelle.jpg

aloeball
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
The William sisters don't seem to get that much support especially at home - in comparison to other players when they're playing at home.

The crowd goes wild behind Hewitt, Stosur and Molik, every point theyre loud cheers.

But when I watch Serena's matches, 14 slam titles and counting, the support is not as tremendous. I find this really odd.

Kon[GS]illiams
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
I think she forgot her match with Jankovic in 2007 :lol:

nfl46
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Thats why I don't think Venus should retire...because she's NOT getting destroyed by people. Venus would probably make it further in Grand Slams if she didn't met top players very early in the tournaments. She's actually beating some top players. Andy on the other hand, this guy loses like 1st or 2nd round every tournament now a days. Definitely not a shock he's retiring.

mykarma
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Venus is talking nonsense that she doesn't get fan support at the US Open, listen to the noisy and wildly cheering fans for her at the 2001 USO final:

N3yk7Vyt1UM
No she's not and what would she have to gain from lying. One of the commentators said as much and it's not the first one to ever make the same statement.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Fox News will go freaking crazy, Venus is clearly a communist now in their eyes who hates America :tape: :lol:

Celestial
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thats why I don't think Venus should retire...because she's NOT getting destroyed by people. Venus would probably make it further in Grand Slams if she didn't met top players very early in the tournaments. She's actually beating some top players. Andy on the other hand, this guy loses like 1st or 2nd round every tournament now a days. Definitely not a shock he's retiring.

Vesnina destroyed her at Wimbledon. Her losses to Radwanska weren't competitive either.

spencercarlos
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think that's a huge statement from Venus after losing to Kerber in the 3-set thriller. Kerber played well enough to win against Venus AND the American crowd.

I couldn't have said what Venus said any better!

NbcfKDEDnck
1:55 in the Video

Venus also said that she "waited her whole Career for that moment in having the crowd support.

Although, there was one other time I remember Venus having Major crowd support in the 97 Semifinal against Spirlea and the famous "bump" incident.

Also when she played Henin in the 07 Semi's, she had a pretty good crowd response, but nothing like this past match!

Venus just needs to take her time and calm down and cut back on errors and she'll be fine. She has to start over
Please Venus :rolleyes: you had the whole crowd supporting you back in 1997 in all matches...

Foxy
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Venus is right.

It's funny that she said that because I watched Venus play at the BOW in 2001, and I was blown away by the support and cheers for her opponent. I also just watched Serena at the BOW a few months ago and the support for her opponent was just huge.

There are a lot of white people who still root for the opponent and not the sisters.

It did my heart good to hear them chanting Venus' name like that. They have NEVER gotten the type of support that Andre Aggassi or Pete Sampras got, or an Andy Roddick.

Venus will be okay. She just needs to fire David Witt because he has not been effective in getting Venus to change her service technique and to perfect her first and second serve. She needs to hire Pete Sampras to get that serve working. Venus needs a new voice in her ear because her serve is still the same and she's losing to players she should not be losing too.

If Maria and Na can bring on new people to give them a different perspective of their game, then Venus needs to do the same.

jean_genie
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Venus is right.

It's funny that she said that because I watched Venus play at the BOW in 2001, and I was blown away by the support and cheers for her opponent. I also just watched Serena at the BOW a few months ago and the support for her opponent was just huge.

There are a lot of white people who still root for the opponent and not the sisters.

It did my heart good to hear them chanting Venus' name like that. They have NEVER gotten the type of support that Andre Aggassi or Pete Sampras got, or an Andy Roddick.

Venus will be okay. She just needs to fire David Witt because he has not been effective in getting Venus to change her service technique and to perfect her first and second serve. She needs to hire Pete Sampras to get that serve working. Venus needs a new voice in her ear because her serve is still the same and she's losing to players she should not be losing too.

If Maria and Na can bring on new people to give them a different perspective of their game, then Venus needs to do the same.

This. And if you want a match at the USOpen where the crowd openly cheered for her opponent, just watch the 2002 semi against Mauresmo.

Uranium
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM
Americans at the US Open get cheered every single point they win by practically EVERYONE in the stands. Good or bad point they get cheered. Venus and Serena don't get that treatment for some reason. So what she means is that on Thursday she finally got to be treated like every other American that plays here at the Open. And I, Inger67, and new_balls_please contributed greatly to Venus feeling like an American.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
crowd in flushing meadows was always with hingis rather than venus, this is weird, cos i mean venus is american...

vixter
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM
Please Venus :rolleyes: you had the whole crowd supporting you back in 1997 in all matches...

1997? She was like 16 years old and it was long before she became a GS champion. When Venus and Serena were up-and-coming they were cheered and appreciated but when their dominance began, that really changed dramatically.

pov
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM
What Venus Williams actually said is "This is the first time I've felt, American playing at the US Open" Leaving out the pause and the last part is taking things way out of context.

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM
Interesting to note that Chanda Rubin, James Blake and Sloane Stephens get tons of support so it's not a race issue at least. That much we know for a fact. Wonder if could be that the Williams sisters are just likeable or endearing? BINGO!!!

flareon
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM
It was a great atmosphere and the crowd where fantastic its what kept her in it shame she could not give them the win but I did enjoy it.

spencercarlos
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
1997? She was like 16 years old and it was long before she became a GS champion. When Venus and Serena were up-and-coming they were cheered and appreciated but when their dominance began, that really changed dramatically.
I can name a good number of matches where Venus has had some pretty good crowd support at the Usopen, not only in 1997, plus it seems like she is still hurt @2009 and 2010 (Kim and the crowd).

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Interesting to note that Chanda Rubin, James Blake and Sloane Stephens get tons of support so it's not a race issue at least. That much we know for a fact. Wonder if could be that the Williams sisters are just likeable or endearing? BINGO!!!

:yawn: i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're being dense on purpose.

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
:yawn: i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're being dense on purpose.

There is nothing dense at all about what I posted. I am calling BULLSHI* on the implication of the William sisters and the posters in this thread who don't have the bollocks to come out and say what they are hinting at. It baffles them that the Williams sisters have not been crowd favorites at all and yet we have seen Serena behave very poorly repeatedly on these courts. Even Venus uses gamesmanship and stares of death against opponents. She is not some angel out there but now that Venus seems to be willing to open up, display some fire and overcome some tough adversity the crowd is warming to her. Serena and Venus have been raised by Richard to be standoffish and distrustful. He kept them out of juniors and brainwashed them into thinking that Indian Wells was full of racists and that America would be against them. That set them up to have a chip on their shoulder since day one and New Yorkers and Americans in general understand this whole dynamic way better than you would if you are from Sweden (I would not presume to comment about relations in your country!) I think slowly but surely Venus and Serena have started to see things a bit differently and are slowly growing out of this "us against the world" crap that Richard spoonfed them as kids. Our country has come a long way but this kind of mentality of underlying anger and resentment is NOT EVER going to be cherished by most Americans. It's divisive and tiring. Props to Rubin, Blake, Madison Keys, Sloane Stephens, Victoria Duval and Arthur Ashe for example for not having that attitude. Donald Young does seem to have a big chip on his shoulder though.

crazillo
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM
They did not even clap properly when Kerber won. If this is called patriotism then I don't like patriotism at all...

Nabalonge
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM
There is nothing dense at all about what I posted. I am calling BULLSHI* on the implication of the William sisters and the posters in this thread who don't have the bollocks to come out and say what they are hinting at. It baffles them that the Williams sisters have not been crowd favorites at all and yet we have seen Serena behave very poorly repeatedly on these courts. Even Venus uses gamesmanship and stares of death against opponents. She is not some angel out there but now that Venus seems to be willing to open up, display some fire and overcome some tough adversity the crowd is warming to her. Serena and Venus have been raised by Richard to be standoffish and distrustful. He kept them out of juniors and brainwashed them into thinking that Indian Wells was full of racists and that America would be against them. That set them up to have a chip on their shoulder since day one and New Yorkers and Americans in general understand this whole dynamic way better than you would if you are from Sweden (I would not presume to comment about relations in your country!) I think slowly but surely Venus and Serena have started to see things a bit differently and are slowly growing out of this "us against the world" crap that Richard spoonfed them as kids. Our country has come a long way but this kind of mentality of underlying anger and resentment is NOT EVER going to be cherished by most Americans. It's divisive and tiring. Props to Rubin, Blake, Madison Keys, Sloane Stephens, Victoria Duval and Arthur Ashe for example for not having that attitude. Donald Young does seem to have a big chip on his shoulder though.

It looks like what you imply with 'Americans' is white people who can't be bothered by the perspective that Venus or Serena would have. You are upset somehow that they don't act like Sloane or James as if their skin color alone dictates equal or similar experiences and thought. You are dismissive and your bitter feelings in particular towards Serena calls your whole paragraph as simple bullshit.

hingisGOAT
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM
Venus is unlikeable. She has a crappy game where she makes 60 errors a match, horrible technique, and a terrible personality. She is as cold as ice on the court AND insults the spectators by taking over 30 seconds in-between every serve. Also her grunting is terrible. I'm surprised she's not booed more often.

VishaalMaria
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Like clock-work.

tennisbum79

N3yk7Vyt1UM

Who cares about your opion when we have a number of prominent commentators and former players, have lamented at the lack of support for the WS by their home country.
Martinal Nav. has given called it a shame.
Numerous articles have been written about it, some acknoweldging the lack of support, but explainingit away by saying it is because they are arrogant.

Michalka
why is there so much hate towards Venus?

Stamp Paid
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
It looks like what you imply with 'Americans' is white people who can't be bothered by the perspective that Venus or Serena would have. You are upset somehow that they don't act like Sloane or James as if their skin color alone dictates equal or similar experiences and thought. You are dismissive and your bitter feelings in particular towards Serena calls your whole paragraph as simple bullshit.:lol::lol: They always tell on themselves :help:

tennisbum79
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
What Venus Williams actually said is "This is the first time I've felt, American playing at the US Open" Leaving out the pause and the last part is taking things way out of context.
Thanks for clarifying it.

But I am afraid for the people who are jumping on Venus, it does not matter. They can't be bothered with little details like context.

Bijoux0021
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM
This comparison has been beaten to death and you know it. This is the same as saying "my best friend is black or I have black friends, therefore I can't be a racist." How many times have we heard this excuse? The players you named were/are not a threat to win big tournaments and slams, let alone dominate. And that's exactly the way the racists like it. As long as Chanda Rubin, James Blake and Sloane Stephens stay in their place, all is good.

tennisbum79
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
This. And if you want a match at the USOpen where the crowd openly cheered for her opponent, just watch the 2002 semi against Mauresmo.
Martina Nav has invoked this match times and times again when talking about the lack of support the the WS have gotten over the years.
She said it was "a shame".

We have lot postes and fan justifying this.
I ask them, in what other country have we ever seen this?
France, Serbia, Belgium, Russia, China, Poland, Canada, England, Australia, etc...
Can you name a player form these any of countries who the home crowd rooting against her?

tennisbum79
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
This comparison has been beaten to death and you know it. This is the same as saying "my best friend is black or I have black friends, therefore I can't be a racist." How many times have we heard this excuse? The players you named were/are not a threat to win big tournaments and slams, let alone dominate. And that's exactly the way the racists like it. As long as Chanda Rubin, James Blake and Sloane Stephens stay in their place, all is good.
If this was about McEnroe, treufreund will never list all the Irish-American players who are model of tennis player behavior.

Peeople like treufreund can't help themselves. Black people have to behave exactly the way they expect them to behave, and they will "tolerate" them.
You deviate form the norms, and the foreign player gets our [unconditional] support, regardless of the foreigner own character and behavior

Bijoux0021
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
When it comes to issues of race, s/he has always acted this way. My guess is it's
mainly because s/he's one of the racists. S/he's not fooling anyone.

Irute
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM
Martina Nav has invoked this match times and times again when talking about the lack of support the the WS have gotten over the years.
She said it was "a shame".

Whe have lot postes and fan justifying this.
I ask them, in what other country have we ever this?
France, Serbia, Belgium, Russia, China, Poland, Canada, England, Australia, etc...
Can you name a player form these any of countries who the home crowd rooting against her?

On this forum you can find quite a few Polish posters not only openly rooting against, but also insulting Aga. I also think that Marion has hard time with support in France. I think it is personality clash. It may be also the case of Williams sisters. Personally I would think that Serena would have a lot of mixed reactions (from love to hate). I can't see this in case of Venus. Whatever I say doesn't negate the fact that it is sad that Venus did not feel the support from home crowd. I do hope it is not due to race; it does happen for other reasons.

tennisbum79
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
On this forum you can find quite a few Polish posters not only openly rooting against, but also insulting Aga..
Fair point.
But we are talking about thhe general public that would go to tennis venue in Warsaw (or anywhere else) and actively rooting against Aga vs a non-polish player.
Tennis porsters may think they are more knowledgable therefore their decision to support or root against player is informed by that, but they are vastly outnumbered by the casual tennis fans.
I have troube imagining that Poland would root against Aga

I also think that Marion has hard time with support in France. I think it is personality clash. It may be also the case of Williams sisters. Personally I would think that Serena would have a lot of mixed reactions (from love to hate). I can't see this in case of Venus. Whatever I say doesn't negate the fact that it is sad that Venus did not feel the support from home crowd. I do hope it is not due to race; it does happen for other reasons.
As for character, I should remind you that each country its own national character, and tennis player tend to reflect that character.
Americans are self confident, demonstrative with a can-do attitude. You can see that in any sport, just look at the olympics atheletes.
Although you'll see it more on the men side, Serena is the epitome of that among the American women tennis players.

So I would think they would embrace that.

Other countries athlete are more comfotrtable being understated and it works for them in the country where they come from.
WE americans have a dififerent mind set.

Stamp Paid
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM
You all must remember that generally, American tennis fans are a VERY specific subset of Americans. Most of these people are right wing/conservatives. These are the same people who vote for Mitt Romney and believe that women cannot get pregnant in cases of legitimate rape.

You think race wouldn't be a factor with these types?

#1SteffiGraf#1
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
The constant crying wont ever STOP! Ever.

Give me a break Venus.

Vlover
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
You all must remember that generally, American tennis fans are a VERY specific subset of Americans. Most of these people are right wing/conservatives. These are the same people who vote for Mitt Romney and believe that women cannot get pregnant in cases of legitimate rape.

You think race wouldn't be a factor with these types?
Exactly! This distinction must be pointed out. This is the reason why Richard prepared his daughters mentally as if they were in the 1950's so that they can persevere and over come the underlined hostilities to be expected from majority of these people. IW is as blatant as it gets and thankfully Serena was able to over because she was prepared. Anyway, in the general American public they are the two most popular female athletes.

Irute
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Fair point.
But we are talking about thhe geeral public that would go to tennis venue in Warsaw (or anywhere else) and actively rooting against Aga against a non-polish player.
Tennis porsters may think they more knowledgable there fore their decision to supportor root against player is informed by that, but they are vastly outnumbered by the casual tennis fans.
I have troube imagining that Poland would root against Aga

As for character, I should remind you that each country its own national character, and tennis player tend to reflect that character.
Americans are self confident, demonstrative with a can-do attitude. You can see that in any sport, just look at the olympics atheletes.
Although you'll see it more on the men side, Serena is the epitome of that among the American women tennis players.

So I would think they would embrace that.

Other countries athlete are more comfotrtable being understated and it works them in the country where they come from.
WE americans have a dififerent mind set.

I do live in the states for a long time and I think Americans are more likely not to be attached to local teams or players than Europeans. In Serena's case I don't think the confidence is the issue... but that is off topic; Venus is the topic. I do believe that there are issues other than just race that cause the attitudes among general public. I am not sure I have enough time to verbalize them at the moment, but I would like to say that I don't see anything wrong with what Venus says or does so it saddens me that she hasn't garnered enough support until just yesterday.

Atomic
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
I definitely think Venus has a point, her and Serena have never received the same amount of support at the open as say Roddick or basically any other home player. Watching her match against Kerber it was heartening to hear the crowd really getting behind her for the first time in a very long time.

dsanders06
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM

Elena Vesnina and Radwanska on clay are top players? :spit:

:secret: Willytards are allergic to facts and logic :secret:

StoneRose
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
When it comes to issues of race, s/he has always acted this way. My guess is it's
mainly because s/he's one of the racists. S/he's not fooling anyone.Don't be absurd please, i read Treufreund's post where he at least took some time to clarify a point and i also read reactions on his point. It's a complex discussion and not being an American and not having seen all what happened through the years i don't really want to comment on this issue. Calling him a racist because of what he wrote so far is downright ridiculous though. At least i agree with him on Donald Young, the way he behaved in that match against Federer was bad indeed.

dsanders06
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM

So what's your explanation for why James Blake was getting raucous support in that US Open quarterfinal in 2005, when it went to 5 sets and thus Blake was evidently not only not "staying in his place" but was actually a threat to knock out one of the crowd's white American favourites? :wavey:

VASqsQFovW0

Bijoux0021
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
So what's your explanation for why James Blake was getting raucous support in that US Open quarterfinal in 2005, when it went to 5 sets and thus Blake was evidently not only not "staying in his place" but was actually a threat to knock out one of the crowd's white American favourites? :wavey:

VASqsQFovW0
Shut the hell up! Did I say James Blake doesn't get support at the US Open? The fact is as long as black players are not a threat to win slams and big tournaments, they get plenty of support. Even if Blake had knocked out Agassi in that quarterfinal match, do you honestly believe he was going to win the 2005 US Open title?

blackandblue
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM

VASqsQFovW0

Blake is half white. He doesn't even associate with African American culture.

dsanders06
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Shut the hell up! Did I say James Blake doesn't get support at the US Open? The fact is as long as black players are not a threat to win slams and big tournaments, they get plenty of support. Even if Blake had knocked out Agassi in that quarterfinal match, do you honestly believe he was going to win the 2005 US Open title?

Um, you said American fans like players as long as they're not "threats". Considering Blake was up 2 sets to love in this match, he was clearly a threat, and against a white American who the crowd adored to boot. :confused: Your argument makes no logicial sense.

Blake is half white. He doesn't even associate with African American culture.

:weirdo:

Matt01
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM
So lame, Venus, so lame. :yawn:

Bijoux0021
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Um, you said American fans like players as long as they're not "threats". Considering Blake was up 2 sets to love in this match, he was clearly a threat, and against a white American who the crowd adored to boot. :confused: Your argument makes no logicial sense.

:weirdo:
You're the weirdo, asshole. Blake has never won a slam in his tennis career, so leading 2 sets to love didn't make him a threat to win the title even if he had won that quarterfinal match.

You didn't answer my question. Again, even if Blake had knocked out Agassi in that quarterfinal match, do you honestly believe he was going to win the 2005 US Open title?

Stamp Paid
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:10 PM
The unmitigated arrogance of suggesting that Venus does not have a right to feel how she feels, or that her own feelings on her own life are somehow are not valid.
Absolute idiots.

RVD
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Man, I sooo agree with Venus, and glad she spoke out on it.
It's not unusual that the Majority (Whites) wouldn't understand, as they don't get it and never will. But Serena and Venus have pursued their dreams despite massive animosity from home crowds, and maybe their efforts as Americans will be acknowledged after they retire... if ever.

Way to be honest Venus!!
And This supporter wishes you all the best. :worship: :cool:

JN
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
"I know the feeling, sista V - holler"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hScuR1Tadeo/TnT4_T-tfJI/AAAAAAAAEck/9T8ZeOBFp7A/s720/michelle.jpg

:inlove:

RVD
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Interesting to note that Chanda Rubin, James Blake and Sloane Stephens get tons of support so it's not a race issue at least. That much we know for a fact. Wonder if could be that the Williams sisters are just likeable or endearing? BINGO!!!:spit::haha::rolls::happy::facepalm:

RVD
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:29 PM

You think race wouldn't be a factor with these types?You called and it mailed it home with this post!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Volcana
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:46 AM
Simple truth.

These USOpen crowds were behind Venus the way they were behind Davenport and Capriati a decade ago. The way they were NOT behind VEnus a decade ago.

And if you check out the Ivanovic-Stephens match, it's not close. Crowd is behind Stephens, not Slam champ, former #1, sex symbol Ivanovic.

dsanders06
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
You're the weirdo, asshole. Blake has never won a slam in his tennis career, so leading 2 sets to love didn't make him a threat to win the title even if he had won that quarterfinal match.

You didn't answer my question. Again, even if Blake had knocked out Agassi in that quarterfinal match, do you honestly believe he was going to win the 2005 US Open title?

I hate to break it to you, but no-one's honestly believed Venus is going to win the US Open at any point for nearly 10 years now. Yet, according to you/her, she wasn't supported until this year, even though her days of seriously contending for the USO are long gone. So doesn't that undercut your theory about people only being racist if they feel someone is a threat to win the title?

Orrrr, maybe you could just admit that having to clutch at straws by making the qualifications for what makes people racist against the Williams sisters alone of all black tennis players, is because you're just grasping for non-sequiturs. If someone is racist, that person is not going to be ENTHUSIASTICALLY cheering one black player (not just giving them grudging respect; Blake was getting HUGE support) against someone who is a white American (surely any true racist would always support a white American over a black American), and any logical person would agree that's all there is to it. But, considering Willytards still think they can go after Justine Henin for minor breaches of sporting etiquette when their fave gave a linesperson a death threat, I guess we all should know by NOW that Willytards don't do logic :lol:

The unmitigated arrogance of suggesting that Venus does not have a right to feel how she feels, or that her own feelings on her own life are somehow are not valid.
Absolute idiots.

Though of course, that's NOT what people are saying. :) I don't dispute Venus and Serena get little support from the American crowds. I'm just saying it has nothing to do with the fact they're black and everying to do with their (or rather, Serena's and Richard's) personalities. I don't disagree with anything Venus said - all she said was she didn't get crowd support most Americans get, it's only idiotic Willytards who are saying it has anything to do with racism.

Stamp Paid
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:57 AM
Though of course, that's NOT what people are saying. :) Idon't dispute Venus and Serena get little support from the American crowds. I'm just saying it has nothing to do with the fact they're black and everying to do with their (or rather, Serena's and Richard's) personalities. I don't disagree with anything Venus said - all she said was she didn't get crowd support most Americans get, it's only idiotic Willytards who are saying it has anything to do with racism.I know that you suffer from severe, crippling megalomania and probably find this hard to believe - but I wasn't talking to you.

dsanders06
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:59 AM
I know that you suffer from severe, crippling megalomania and probably find this hard to believe - but I wasn't talking to you.

So who were you supposedly talking to? :confused: I've seen noone but Matt01 criticise Venus herself.

In The Zone
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:34 AM
I can name a good number of matches where Venus has had some pretty good crowd support at the Usopen, not only in 1997, plus it seems like she is still hurt @2009 and 2010 (Kim and the crowd).

Every time a match is close with Venus, the crowd was against her. The Kim matches, all 3 of them, definitely stick out in her mind. The crowds are realizing she is not going to be playing much longer and she is not a favorite all the time.

The 02 SF against Mauresmo sticks in my mind too.

Venus got great love in 07 and 08. So obviously you are right - the Kim matches are stinging.

faboozadoo15
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
I thought Venus had the crowd with her against Hingis in 99 and 00. The crowds for those 2 matches were probably among the most electric crowds for a match in history.

LoveFifteen
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:38 AM
I thought Venus had the crowd with her against Hingis in 99 and 00. The crowds for those 2 matches were probably among the most electric crowds for a match in history.

I also thought Venus had great support in those matches. The crowd was electric.

I partially understand what Venus is saying though I think she's had support in several matches at the US Open. Kim is a very special case. Kim has always has insane amounts of love all over the world. I was at her final match today, and the love for her was palpable. I don't think hateful right-wing racists cheered for Clijsters because they hate Venus. If it was just about being white, then they would've cheered for Justine in 2007. The crowd seemed to be 95% pro-Venus in the 2007 semi.

LoveFifteen
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:41 AM
Also, bullshit on the majority of American tennis fans being right-wing or Romney voters. Have actual data, not just emotional feelings, to prove those claims; otherwise, it's bullshit that you invented.

Expat
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:57 AM
Tennis consistently ranks amongst the most liberal sports according to viewer surveys and is more popular in blue states. Its NASCAR, football etc that are most conservative. I agree with Volcana. Its the underdog that gets cheers. Its rare to have Venus as a underdog examples being 1997 against Hingis, 2007 against Henin or against Kerber.

Besides Serena isn't exactly likable with her shoving balls down people's throats.

And if only whites cheer for blacks when they know their place can someone explain Tiger Woods to me and that is a much more conservative sport than tennis.

But if she feels that way good for her, (its a big reason why they are successful) but I think French players at Roland Garros have it worse than anything Venus or Serena have faced at US Open.

And it happens quite often in America in other sports too. Try going to a USA vs Mexico soccer match in CA, NY or TX. It will be the same scenario. You would wonder if you are in America.

Stamp Paid
Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:18 AM
Also, bullshit on the majority of American tennis fans being right-wing or Romney voters. Have actual data, not just emotional feelings, to prove those claims; otherwise, it's bullshit that you invented.Yeah bullshit, just like Venus' feelings about finally feeling American at the US Open are bullshit emotional feelings too, huh?
Just look at the demographics of American tennis enthusiasts (in terms of both race and class), and look at the voting patterns of people in those demographics. Golf and tennis are pretty much the same, in terms of being expensive, country-club sports of the privileged. Look at the American board members who post that crazy conservative bullshit in Non-Tennis, you think its coincidental that they are all Williams haters too?

These people are far more likely to be Republicans than Democrats.

treufreund
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:06 AM
It looks like what you imply with 'Americans' is white people who can't be bothered by the perspective that Venus or Serena would have. You are upset somehow that they don't act like Sloane or James as if their skin color alone dictates equal or similar experiences and thought. You are dismissive and your bitter feelings in particular towards Serena calls your whole paragraph as simple bullshit.

Not at all. I addressed the fact that they have different experiences. They have a father who raised them to have a chip on their shoulder. I also pointed out that they seem to be growing out of that phase and seem to be deciding for themselves that people will respond positively to them when they open to people and stop freaking out at chair umpires, linespeople, etc or giving death stares to opponents like Venus does sometimes. I think you would only be happy if I said that Venus and Serena have been perfect little angels who are victims of racism instead of acknowledging that they are maturing and evolving and that maybe, just maybe, raising your kids to LOOK FOR RACIAL CAUSES to everything is actually quite unhealthy. I will never EVER EVER accept the notion that kids should be raised to believe they will be victims of racism constantly. It's better to teach them to treat people with class and that will come back as positive karma.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
I know that you suffer from severe, crippling megalomania and probably find this hard to believe - but I wasn't talking to you.

OMG get him! And not Denise Huxtable in your sig :lol:

TheDream
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
Not at all. I addressed the fact that they have different experiences. They have a father who raised them to have a chip on their shoulder. I also pointed out that they seem to be growing out of that phase and seem to be deciding for themselves that people will respond positively to them when they open to people and stop freaking out at chair umpires, linespeople, etc or giving death stares to opponents like Venus does sometimes. I think you would only be happy if I said that Venus and Serena have been perfect little angels who are victims of racism instead of acknowledging that they are maturing and evolving and that maybe, just maybe, raising your kids to LOOK FOR RACIAL CAUSES to everything is actually quite unhealthy. I will never EVER EVER accept the notion that kids should be raised to believe they will be victims of racism constantly. It's better to teach them to treat people with class and that will come back as positive karma.

Serena and Venus have never intimated or said anything about them being black as a reason for holding them back so I don't get the point of this post? Neither has Richard Williams. They may get asked about their experience of being black in an elitist and predominantly white sport, but they've never had a chip on their shoulder in regards to race.

lenusu
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
I think she is wrong if she says that she has no fans supporting her.

TheDream
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:13 AM

VASqsQFovW0

This is an absolute an utterly load of :bs: Coming from someone who attended the US Open in 2005 and 2006, the crowd and public was very pro Agassi. I don't see how you determine they were more in Blake's side just because they cheered for him too? :confused: Overall, the crowd was more heavily for Agassi than any men or woman at that tournament in both years. Some 5 minute manufactured clip won't change that. The crowd was more behind Agassi, period.

lenusu
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
I think she is not right if she says she has no fans supporting her.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:17 AM

So I'm assuming you were in the Williams' household in Compton during the 80's :shrug:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM
I think she is not right if she says she has no fans supporting her.

Venus never said that, re-watch the video please.

dany.p
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
Look, there have been other matches where Venus has had crowd support, but feelings are subjective, no one should be able to tell her how she feels. And i do agree with the sentiment behind her words. It's sad that in her home grandslam the crowd is generally not on her side.

What annoys me as well is the double standards. People say they don't want to cheer for the Williams because of there attitude, and then you see someone like Roddick, whose oncourt behaviour is disgraceful, and consistently far worse then the Williams combined, treated like a hero. Just makes you think.

new-york
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:57 AM
She was the undisputed underdog here.

The tree stooges poisoning every Venus thread, what is new.

andyjason
Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:35 AM
just look about the incident they got in IW,
how could you imagine a player in their home got treated like that
and they decided to boycott it.
Would you imagine if other player has the same thing like KIM/Henin in Brussels, Na in China open, Sharapova in Moscow, Bartoli in FO, Schaivone in Rome, Kerber in Stuttgart??

faboozadoo15
Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
just look about the incident they got in IW,
how could you imagine a player in their home got treated like that
and they decided to boycott it.
Would you imagine if other player has the same thing like KIM/Henin in Brussels, Na in China open, Sharapova in Moscow, Bartoli in FO, Schaivone in Rome, Kerber in Stuttgart??

Bartoli gets much worse treatment on a consistent basis in her home slam. Mary Pierce was routinely booed. sandrine Testud had an egg thrown at her face. Fans in most American cities are very supportive of Venus and Serena.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Venus is unlikeable. She has a crappy game where she makes 60 errors a match, horrible technique, and a terrible personality. She is as cold as ice on the court AND insults the spectators by taking over 30 seconds in-between every serve. Also her grunting is terrible. I'm surprised she's not booed more often.

this :bowdown:

Sombrerero loco
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:20 AM

lol, of course its not a race issue come on, its XXI century

Diesel
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
lol, of course its not a race issue come on, its XXI century

Of course, no one sees race. This is now a post racial society where racism is only in the history books. Great century.

Uranium
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
She was the undisputed underdog here.

The tree stooges poisoning every Venus thread, what is new.

You feeling Jamaican, man?

Isn't your job to free us from such people. Get to it.:kiss:

winone23
Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:57 PM

You're full of crap... I guess you have never seen Roddick go off on chair umpires and have never seen Nadal staring at his opponents in disgust.

ivanban
Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure this kind of statements help Venus' cause

jrollaneres25
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:23 AM

N3yk7Vyt1UM

Umm......Did I miss something?

We are talking about against an non-American opponent.:o

jrollaneres25
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:39 AM

I thought James had a good chance that year. He was playing really well. I think the support obviously comes from James being biracial. His mom is a white English mother. So maybe that has something to do with it???:shrug:

Also he's a male and don't forget the Lleyton Hewwit incident back at the 2001 US OPEN:tape:

jrollaneres25
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:40 AM
So lame, Venus, so lame. :yawn:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9okgrEfHb1r5gzh5.gif

I mean MATT!!:o

The Witch-king
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:42 AM
I'm amazed that this quote would bother anyone.

jrollaneres25
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:50 AM
Absolute idiots.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8xn6iavcZ1r0vemno1_400.gif

TPlaya8
Sep 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM
First off I don't get how anyone could even say anything about how Venus felt. Clearly if she said she didn't feel American at the US Open until this match how could anyone argue her, because NOT ONE person on this forum has been inside Venus feeling what she has felt. (That is almost like you telling a person who feels depressed or sad that they aren't because of what you see) Please!!!!

I hate to break it to you, but no-one's honestly believed Venus is going to win the US Open at any point for nearly 10 years now. Yet, according to you/her, she wasn't supported until this year, even though her days of seriously contending for the USO are long gone. So doesn't that undercut your theory about people only being racist if they feel someone is a threat to win the title?.

And for you I don't know what to think about you. Sometimes you say somewhat nice things about Venus or say she played well or something then you come a post stuff like this.

For anyone one that did not see that Venus was a threat to win this title almost her entire career is foolish.

'97, '98, '99 she lost to Hinigis (eventual champ), Davenport(eventual champ), Hingis (finalist lost to Serena...who at this time was losing to Venus)

'00, '01, won

'02 maybe not because Serena was the favorite by far.

'03 had she played who would have beaten her...at this time Henin, Kim, or Jennifer had never beaten Venus in a Grand Slam and had only won 2 maybe three matches against her. One being a retirement to Kim at the '02 WTA Championships

'04 this year she wasn't a favorite.

'05 she was up a set and 4-2 on Kim, had she won this match she would have been the favorite against Maria, and Pierce.

'06 didn't play

'07 played a close match against Henin trhe way she was playing that year she was actually one of the favorites from everyone. And had she beat Henin definitely would have won.

'08 some of the best Hard Court tennis she had played at the US Open even higher level than '07 swatting away ppl with relative ease. Had she beaten Serena she was the favoirte and she clearly had all kind of chances to beat Serena.

'09 maybe not injury and bad form

'10 had she beaten Kim she would have won and she was 5 points away from beating Kim.

Venus has always been a threat at the US regarlesss of what anyone says her record speaks for it self. Her lost to Kerber was her earliest and worst lost her in her career according to who beat her. She had only lost to Hingis 2x, Davenport 2x, Serena 2x, Kim 3x, Henin 1x (Awesome players to lose to...at a slam) And shows what it took to beat her here 8x times that person went on to win the tournament. And in 4 or 5 of those matches she gave those players their toughest match of the tournament!

Facts speak for themselves

In The Zone
Sep 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Bartoli gets much worse treatment on a consistent basis in her home slam. Mary Pierce was routinely booed. sandrine Testud had an egg thrown at her face. Fans in most American cities are very supportive of Venus and Serena.

Yes. But Arthur Ashe is much different than any other tennis venue. Sit in it and you'll know. The real tennis fans sit far away from the court. All the obnoxious, rich people who know nothing about tennis cheer against Venus and Serena and they are right up close. Those are the ones who get picked up on the mics and that's why you only hear faint clapping and cheering from the back with cheers for Venus and Serena.

When Serena and Venus play doubles on Armstrong or Grandstand, everyone is OBSESSED with them because those are the real fans.

The USO is just an exception because of how ridiculous Ashe is.

jrollaneres25
Sep 22nd, 2012, 03:34 AM
First off I don't get how anyone could even say anything about how Venus felt. Clearly if she said she didn't feel American at the US Open until this match how could anyone argue her, because NOT ONE person on this forum has been inside Venus feeling what she has felt. (That is almost like you telling a person who feels depressed or sad that they aren't because of what you see) Please!!!!

And for you I don't know what to think about you. Sometimes you say somewhat nice things about Venus or say she played well or something then you come a post stuff like this.

For anyone one that did not see that Venus was a threat to win this title almost her entire career is foolish.

'97, '98, '99 she lost to Hinigis (eventual champ), Davenport(eventual champ), Hingis (finalist lost to Serena...who at this time was losing to Venus)

'00, '01, won

'02 maybe not because Serena was the favorite by far.

'03 had she played who would have beaten her...at this time Henin, Kim, or Jennifer had never beaten Venus in a Grand Slam and had only won 2 maybe three matches against her. One being a retirement to Kim at the '02 WTA Championships

'04 this year she wasn't a favorite.

'05 she was up a set and 4-2 on Kim, had she won this match she would have been the favorite against Maria, and Pierce.

'06 didn't play

'07 played a close match against Henin trhe way she was playing that year she was actually one of the favorites from everyone. And had she beat Henin definitely would have won.

'08 some of the best Hard Court tennis she had played at the US Open even higher level than '07 swatting away ppl with relative ease. Had she beaten Serena she was the favoirte and she clearly had all kind of chances to beat Serena.

'09 maybe not injury and bad form

'10 had she beaten Kim she would have won and she was 5 points away from beating Kim.

Venus has always been a threat at the US regarlesss of what anyone says her record speaks for it self. Her lost to Kerber was her earliest and worst lost her in her career according to who beat her. She had only lost to Hingis 2x, Davenport 2x, Serena 2x, Kim 3x, Henin 1x (Awesome players to lose to...at a slam) And shows what it took to beat her here 8x times that person went on to win the tournament. And in 4 or 5 of those matches she gave those players their toughest match of the tournament!

Facts speak for themselves

This.

JN
Sep 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
This.

How did I know it was gonna be dsanders he was replying to? :rolleyes: Talk about ones reputation preceding them. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/30.gif

The Witch-king
Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
How did I know it was gonna be dsanders he was replying to? :rolleyes: Talk about ones reputation preceding them. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/30.gif

lol same here i read tplaya's post before i read what he was replying to and i just knew which poster it was. And an extra lol to the suggestion that sanders occasionally says nice things about Venus

Thiudans
Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I hate to break it to you, but no-one's honestly believed Venus is going to win the US Open at any point for nearly 10 years now. Yet, according to you/her, she wasn't supported until this year, even though her days of seriously contending for the USO are long gone. So doesn't that undercut your theory about people only being racist if they feel someone is a threat to win the title?

Orrrr, maybe you could just admit that having to clutch at straws by making the qualifications for what makes people racist against the Williams sisters alone of all black tennis players, is because you're just grasping for non-sequiturs. If someone is racist, that person is not going to be ENTHUSIASTICALLY cheering one black player (not just giving them grudging respect; Blake was getting HUGE support) against someone who is a white American (surely any true racist would always support a white American over a black American), and any logical person would agree that's all there is to it. But, considering Willytards still think they can go after Justine Henin for minor breaches of sporting etiquette when their fave gave a linesperson a death threat, I guess we all should know by NOW that Willytards don't do logic :lol:

Though of course, that's NOT what people are saying. :) I don't dispute Venus and Serena get little support from the American crowds. I'm just saying it has nothing to do with the fact they're black and everying to do with their (or rather, Serena's and Richard's) personalities. I don't disagree with anything Venus said - all she said was she didn't get crowd support most Americans get, it's only idiotic Willytards who are saying it has anything to do with racism.

People have already addressed, very astutely, why you're a fool for this post. So, to that, I have nothing to add.

I will ask, however, what kind of egregious harm accusations of racism do to you. It's like they're all targeted against you, or it's an issue in which you have some special interest; the way you come into threads like these with your damned ignorance and sick agenda/denial.

Get a life.