PDA

View Full Version : Laura Robson class act in Israel during Fed Cup

spiceboy
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:21 AM
As published in John Wertheim's mailbag:

Random player story -- well, maybe not so random, but still worth sharing. I was working in the press office at the Fed Cup zonal tie in Eilat, Israel, in February 2011. On the very last day, on a back court with about 20 people watching, Elena Baltacha was playing an Austrian girl. By beating her, team GB would qualify to the WGII playoffs for the first time in forever. Laura Robson was sitting on the sidelines and cheering on her teammates. A young girl, maybe 12 years old, asked her whether after the match they could hit a few balls together. Laura smiled politely and replied: "Let's see after the match if I have time." I thought it was a nice way of saying thanks, but no thanks.

When Baltacha went on to win the match, the whole team, including team captain Judy Murray, leapt onto the court in jubilation. The same young girl went onto the court and asked Laura if they could hit a couple of balls. With no hesitation, when all her team was hugging, celebrating and talking to the press, Laura moved to the next court to play with this young girl. She then proceeded to round up all the other kids who wanted to play too, gave them all her own rackets and played with the kids for about 30 minutes, encouraging them and giving them tips.

Again, back court, huge win for GB, cold night in Eilat, no press watching her, no reason to care. I've been around all the Grand Slams, seen many players, but never someone so kind, gracious and generous as what I saw from Laura Robson. Class act! Consider me a fan.
-- Sophie, Tel Aviv

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/jon_wertheim/08/08/london-olympics-mailbag/index.html

Grigorpova
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:24 AM
She's growing on me, I might start bandwagoning her :lol:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
Personally my issue is with the British media more than anything else, which is a shame but nice as Laura is I don't know if I would ever be a fan whilst listening to them go on and on about her.

Jose.
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:37 AM
You can just tell by the way she talks and how she celebrated her wins that she is a nice girl :D I'm a fan!

oh yeah i guess
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Oh that is definitely awesome. Good stuff, Robson.

bobito
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:12 AM
This is on a par with Derek Jeter, the New York Yankees shortstop, going to the park to play baseball with local kids when he doesn't have a game that day. Class acts the pair of them. Of course, being a Brit, I can root for Laura from the bottom of my heart. As a White Sox fan I can only offer Jeter grudging admiration.

Mary Cherry.
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:15 AM
Personally my issue is with the British media more than anything else, which is a shame but nice as Laura is I don't know if I would ever be a fan whilst listening to them go on and on about her.

This.

I think next year's Wimbledon will be a good test to see how bad the hype is. That said, as long as Murray's around to divert most of the attention, she should be okay for a while.

davidmario
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:22 AM
That girl shoulda ask Rodionova.

chingching
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:35 AM
Cute :D
I always thought she was very nice :)
Thanks for the story :)

Morning Morgan
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:38 AM
And this as well:

You should have known this sooner. Of course Robson is a complete delight. Back in January, I remember her playing at the Australian Open with a rainbow ribbon around her hair. When questioned by a reporter if she was protesting Margaret Court and her views, Miss Robson replied that she was not trying to make any political statements, but did believe in equal rights for all. I thought that was very clever. No mention of Court. No talk of the gay community. And yet she had said all that was needed to be said.
-- Charith, Bangalore, India

• You're absolutely right. Most of the top players avoided the issue. Here comes a teenager with a triple-digit ranking who made the most eloquent "soft power" protest.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20120831/us-open-laura-robson-mailbag/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/16/laura-robson-gay-rights-controversy

duhcity
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:51 AM
This.

I think next year's Wimbledon will be a good test to see how bad the hype is. That said, as long as Murray's around to divert most of the attention, she should be okay for a while.

I remember 2009? Wimbledon, the first question in Anne's presser when she lost 1r and was already crying was along the lines of "How do you feel about letting down an entire nation?"

DefJax
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:04 AM
Thought it was fitting that Laura was the one to end Clijsters career, both such nice girls.

Yes Laura gets hyped by the British media, but I have read a lot of vitriol towards her on here for the last few years that is totally underserved, epsecially when it was being aimed at a 16 year old girls trying to make her way on the WTA tour

TimeyWimey
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:11 AM
it must be love :)

Soliloque
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM
A new Saint on tour. And approved by the original.

mac47
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM
She'll never live down the "sluts" remark (and the GIF that has immortalized it here on TF).

That said, I wish her well. She's a lefty, so I like her.

Barktra
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:21 AM

This is how i feel with the American media and Roddick. It is not as bad as the British, but it is still annoying I could have never been a fan of Roddick.

anyways cute story :awww:

cellophane
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:26 AM
A new Saint on tour. And approved by the original.

:lol: :)

Pops Maellard
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:56 AM
There was also the rainbow thing that someone else mentioned :yeah:.

JackFrost
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:38 AM
First, she have to find her gingerbread-house. :devil:
PS: Laura Robson (and Heather Watson, too) are very nice young ladies. Really likable new generation of tennis from Great Britain. :yeah:

Libertango
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM
And this as well:

You should have known this sooner. Of course Robson is a complete delight. Back in January, I remember her playing at the Australian Open with a rainbow ribbon around her hair. When questioned by a reporter if she was protesting Margaret Court and her views, Miss Robson replied that she was not trying to make any political statements, but did believe in equal rights for all. I thought that was very clever. No mention of Court. No talk of the gay community. And yet she had said all that was needed to be said.
-- Charith, Bangalore, India

• You're absolutely right. Most of the top players avoided the issue. Here comes a teenager with a triple-digit ranking who made the most eloquent "soft power" protest.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20120831/us-open-laura-robson-mailbag/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/16/laura-robson-gay-rights-controversy

:yeah:

Dexter
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:16 AM
Just what the tour needs. :) *no sarcasm*
I'm definitely on the bandwagon.

Shivank17
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM

This. The hype. :help:

But Laura seems to be a nice girl and also has a great game.

Sweety Darling
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Laura is a very sweet natured person. Could do with someone like her at the top to counteract all the bitches.

borrowedheaven
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM
Laura has everything to be very popular. I'm wondering wether the pressure she has had from her country at the age of 14 might actually have been a good thing. I think she's used now to dealing with expectations.

LightsOut!
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Laura :hug: :hearts:

JustAileen
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:16 AM
She is such a nice girl:D

Adrian.
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM

:haha::haha:

that made me :spit: my tea :hysteric:

Royals.
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Aww cute! :)

toxina90
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM

I wish people would stop behaving like Brit media is unique in hyping up young players. After years of hearing them blab about Murray, one realises how easy it is to ignore an article, press the mute button at the Wimbledon coverage; to separate themselves and simply appreciate the person/talent whilst ignoring the propaganda. This really isn't difficult if one has an open mind

toxina90
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:48 AM

I wish people would stop behaving like Brit media is unique in hyping up young players. After years of hearing them blab about Murray, one realises how easy it is to ignore an article, press the mute button at the Wimbledon coverage; to separate themselves and simply appreciate the person/talent whilst ignoring the propaganda. This really isn't difficult if one has an open mind. Just because she has a desperate heritage behind her, doesn't mean people should ignore Robson's classy character.

Sweety Darling
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:36 AM
I wish people would stop behaving like Brit media is unique in hyping up young players. After years of hearing them blab about Murray, one realises how easy it is to ignore an article, press the mute button at the Wimbledon coverage; to separate themselves and simply appreciate the person/talent whilst ignoring the propaganda. This really isn't difficult if one has an open mind

It's just stupid posters having stupid reasons not to like a player.

Melange
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:09 AM
win a few gs matches and suddenly the fans appear outta nowhere

everythingtaboo
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
The girl's got her head screwed on right. I met her at Hopman Cup in 2010 and she was such a delight to meet. I couldn't believe she was only 15 at the time! So mature for her age.

Now Kim's gone from the tour, I got my bets on the Australian media branding her Aussie Laura when January comes around. She'll love that. :lol:

Melange
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
They got tired of the Aussie Ana thing fast

BlueTrees
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:13 PM
win a few gs matches and suddenly the fans appear outta nowhere
I know right? :lol: People were always laughing her at being overhyped and now all of a sudden they're her biggest fan. I'm not a fan of hers AT ALL, but credit to those who actually have stuck with her the entire year when she was struggling at the beginning and playing the $25Ks, not just jumping on the bangwagon now that she's doing well. :yeah:

babsi
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:15 PM
Shame this wasn't posted by the poster on August 8th. It was all over Twitter.

flareon
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
As published in John Wertheim's mailbag:

Random player story -- well, maybe not so random, but still worth sharing. I was working in the press office at the Fed Cup zonal tie in Eilat, Israel, in February 2011. On the very last day, on a back court with about 20 people watching, Elena Baltacha was playing an Austrian girl. By beating her, team GB would qualify to the WGII playoffs for the first time in forever. Laura Robson was sitting on the sidelines and cheering on her teammates. A young girl, maybe 12 years old, asked her whether after the match they could hit a few balls together. Laura smiled politely and replied: "Let's see after the match if I have time." I thought it was a nice way of saying thanks, but no thanks.

When Baltacha went on to win the match, the whole team, including team captain Judy Murray, leapt onto the court in jubilation. The same young girl went onto the court and asked Laura if they could hit a couple of balls. With no hesitation, when all her team was hugging, celebrating and talking to the press, Laura moved to the next court to play with this young girl. She then proceeded to round up all the other kids who wanted to play too, gave them all her own rackets and played with the kids for about 30 minutes, encouraging them and giving them tips.

Again, back court, huge win for GB, cold night in Eilat, no press watching her, no reason to care. I've been around all the Grand Slams, seen many players, but never someone so kind, gracious and generous as what I saw from Laura Robson. Class act! Consider me a fan.
-- Sophie, Tel Aviv

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/jon_wertheim/08/08/london-olympics-mailbag/index.html

First thing that is wrong with this is it was 2012 :o...

and secondly Laura only played doubles I think Bally was the real hero she had to beat players like Peer,Paszek (said Austrian girl :o) and Kraijeck that week.

MakarovaFan
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:55 PM
:rolleyes:win a few gs matches and suddenly the fans appear outta nowhere

I know right? :lol: People were always laughing her at being overhyped and now all of a sudden they're her biggest fan. I'm not a fan of hers AT ALL, but credit to those who actually have stuck with her the entire year when she was struggling at the beginning and playing the $25Ks, not just jumping on the bangwagon now that she's doing well. :yeah:

First of all when was the last time a teenager made the 2nd week of a GS(beating 2 recent GS champs back to back, and in pretty good quality form at that), just made an international level SF and won a silver medal in the Olympics, won 8 MD matches, 4 top 30 wins and a top 10 win all in a few months time.......why wouldn't that garner instant fans and attention:rolleyes:

And just incase you are that asinine.......in the world we live in, when somone in any walk of life starts to get success generally the fans and attention comes rolling in.

Javi.
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM

:happy: :haha:

Israel
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
That's really nice from Robson. But what's not nice is that this all comes now 9 months late.

dsanders06
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM
This.

Honestly, if Laura does make it into the elite then I'm pretty sure the media/public will ditch Murray and make Laura their biggest priority. :lol:

Vespertine69
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM

I agree... I mean, sure they do go on about Murray and other Brits at Wimbledon (a lot) and the newspaper coverage here always gives weight to British players - but what else is anyone expecting? Sure, commentators and hosts love a speculative chat about "how far could Murray/Robson/etc go and can they win?" when it's vastly premature... but it's hardly unavoidable or unbearable. I don't really understand why people let this sort of normal home-bias upset them so much. I groan as much as the next person when the idiot commentators act like Murray is a cert for the tournament when he wins a convincing first set against some random chump, but just take it all with a pinch of salt and suck it up :p

Drake1980
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
:eek:

Raiden
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM
That's really nice from Robson. But what's not nice is that this all comes now 9 months late.I reckon Laura's image-marketing agency OCTA8ON decided to send out the Public-Relations alerts only AFTER she beat Kim Clijsters :lol:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
I wish people would stop behaving like Brit media is unique in hyping up young players. After years of hearing them blab about Murray, one realises how easy it is to ignore an article, press the mute button at the Wimbledon coverage; to separate themselves and simply appreciate the person/talent whilst ignoring the propaganda. This really isn't difficult if one has an open mind. Just because she has a desperate heritage behind her, doesn't mean people should ignore Robson's classy character.

Its not just hype its their blind fucking analysis too, unlike say the French media the British media don't dish out criticism when its due. When has a British media outlet turned on a British athlete or team the way the French have, now France take it to the extreme but L'Équipe does a far better job at objectively criticizing its own stars than the UK media ever could. The British media is populist and reactionary about everything including sport.

Also I'm never a fan of nice girls anyway, gimme a bitch and I'm happier. :lol:

BlueTrees
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
First of all when was the last time a teenager made the 2nd week of a GS?
Sloane Stephens, about 3 months ago at Roland Garros. :wavey:And she could even do it again if she beats Ivanovic tonight. ...made an international level SF.

Again, Sloane Stephens reached an international SF a few weeks ago and also at Strasbourg on clay. Timea Babos and Lara Arruabarrena Vecino won WTA titles at the start of the year as teenagers. So for Laura to reach a WTA International SF is obviously a great achievement but others have done it too, or even done better.

You really don't have a clue buddy. :spit:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Lol got my first negative rep in I'd say almost a year for this thread :haha:

Should just change "British media" to "British public". Seems they can't take criticism of their darling, I mean I've be much more scathing of other players on her in the past few months and got no negative rep :lol: I didn't even criticize Laura here.

Well I guess it's nice to see some red break that lovely stream of green :yeah:

Sammo
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
What really happened:

- Hi, can I hit a few balls with you? :awww:
- Outta my sight, slut.

:oh::lol: Just kidding, really lovely from Laura.

DefJax
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sloane Stephens, about 3 months ago at Roland Garros. :wavey:And she could even do it again if she beats Ivanovic tonight.

Again, Sloane Stephens reached an international SF a few weeks ago and also at Strasbourg on clay. Timea Babos and Lara Arruabarrena Vecino won WTA titles at the start of the year as teenagers. So for Laura to reach a WTA International SF is obviously a great achievement but others have done it too, or even done better.

All those girls are older than Laura, and Sloane had a relatively easy run at the french, both Babos and Vecino won WTA events against girls ranked well outside the top 60, Lara hasn't even broke the top 100 yet.

I think Laura reaching the semi at Palermo on clay, her weakest surface, taking out some top clay court players is a bigger achievment than winning an event against scrubs. Let alone taking out Clijsters and Na back to back.

GS2
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
Its not just hype its their blind fucking analysis too, unlike say the French media the British media don't dish out criticism when its due. When has a British media outlet turned on a British athlete or team the way the French have, now France take it to the extreme but L'Équipe does a far better job at objectively criticizing its own stars than the UK media ever could. The British media is populist and reactionary about everything including sport.

Uh is this the same British media renowned for building people up and then knocking them down again? I must have imagined the regular attacks on the England football, cricket & rugby teams. Murray has also had his fair share of abuse when things are going well, the constant he needs a new coach stuff.

When you don't know what you're talking about best to keep quiet.

timafi
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM
Laura :hatoff:

bobito
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sloane Stephens, about 3 months ago at Roland Garros. :wavey:And she could even do it again if she beats Ivanovic tonight.

Again, Sloane Stephens reached an international SF a few weeks ago and also at Strasbourg on clay. Timea Babos and Lara Arruabarrena Vecino won WTA titles at the start of the year as teenagers. So reaching a SF is obviously a great achievement but others have done it to, or even done better.

Read MakarovaFan's question again.

First of all when was the last time a teenager made the 2nd week of a GS(beating 2 recent GS champs back to back, and in pretty good quality form at that), just made an international level SF and won a silver medal in the Olympics, won 8 MD matches, 4 top 30 wins and a top 10 win all in a few months time.

Note the use of commas and the words "all in a few months time", clearly indicating that s/he was asking when last a teenager had done all of these things, not just one or two. Sloane Stephens has only posted 3 top 30 wins this year and has never beaten more than two over a 3 month period, nor has she ever beaten a top 10 player or a grand slam singles champion.

paul_masterton
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM
I reckon Laura's image-marketing agency OCTA8ON decided to send out the Public-Relations alerts only AFTER she beat Kim Clijsters :lol:

This article was from before the olympics

BlueTrees
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Sloane Stephens has only posted 3 top 30 wins this year and has never beaten more than two over a 3 month period, nor has she ever beaten a top 10 player or a grand slam singles champion.
2012 US Open 1R: Sloane Stephens df. (22)Francesca Schiavone 6-3 6-4. Bye. :wavey:

Nicolás89
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
I used to think she was just a serve but my mind changed completely after watching dominate Li. I love her attitude too. Definitely on the badwagon.

KeysisGOAT
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:04 PM
That's really nice from Robson. But what's not nice is that this all comes now 9 months late.

I reckon Laura's image-marketing agency OCTA8ON decided to send out the Public-Relations alerts only AFTER she beat Kim Clijsters :lol:

Nah, more likely is that the story was submitted months ago to Wertheim but he only just decided to publish it after the olympics because up until then Laura wasn't notable enough for him to expect his readers to care. After an Olympic silver medal (this column was written as a post-olympics piece)? She's notable enough for a feel good story to end the mailbag.

Sweety Darling
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Stupid BlueTrees.

bobito
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM
2012 US Open 1R: Sloane Stephens df. (22)Francesca Schiavone 6-3 6-4. Bye. :wavey:

Ok I missed that one. How about the others in the list. Top 10 players? Multiple slam winners? Two slam winners back to back? 4 top 30 wins in 3 months (or even a year for that matter)?

More to the point, Sloane Stephens at Laura's age had not beaten a top 10 player or a GS champion, had ony 2 career top 30 wins, had not made a GS 4th round or a tour SF.

Quibble all you like, MakarovaFan's point was a valid one.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Keep these neg reps coming, just proves you are possibly the biggest tards on the forum when I didn't even criticize your player. :hysteric:

Mary Cherry.
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Keep these neg reps coming, just proves you are possibly the biggest tards on the forum when I didn't even criticize your player. :hysteric:

Why would you get bad reps? :sobbing: All you're saying is that British people are idiots and there's nothing incorrect about that.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM
Apparently that's offending these people to the point where they feel the need to go around bad repping. :lol:

BlueTrees
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Ok I missed that one. How about the others in the list. Top 10 players? Multiple slam winners? Two slam winners back to back? 4 top 30 wins in 3 months (or even a year for that matter)?

More to the point, Sloane Stephens at Laura's age had not beaten a top 10 player or a GS champion, had ony 2 career top 30 wins, had not made a GS 4th round or a tour SF.

Quibble all you like, MakarovaFan's point was a valid one.

Um, no. MakarovaFan's point was not a valid one. All I said was: "Credit to those Robson fans who actually have stuck with her the entire year when she was struggling at the beginning and playing the $25Ks, not just jumping on the bangwagon now that she's doing well." I was complimenting you and a lot of the other posters in this thread yet of course that gets turned around and makes me look like a bad person. :lol: I wasn't even really talking about her results yet he randomly starts bringing up random statistics which prove my point exactly, that more people are bandwagoning on her now that she's proving to be a good player.

Anyway I can spin random statistics the opposite way. When was the last time a supposed future #1 and multiple Grand Slam champion was 18 years old yet the only ever title they won was a $10K four years ago and can barely win matches in $25Ks? :confused:

Once again, I don't even understand how we got into this discussion. :o I'm actually really impressed with her run this week and maybe she's finally living up to what people expected. :shrug:

treufreund
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM
Laura better be careful. If she keeps displaying classy and kind behaviour then she will get so many haters LOL.

bobito
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
Um, no. MakarovaFan's point was not a valid one. All I said was: "Credit to those Robson fans who actually have stuck with her the entire year when she was struggling at the beginning and playing the $25Ks, not just jumping on the bangwagon now that she's doing well." I was complimenting you and a lot of the other posters in this thread yet of course that gets turned around and makes me look like a bad person. :lol: I wasn't even really talking about her results yet he randomly starts bringing up random statistics which prove my point exactly, that more people are bandwagoning on her now that she's proving to be a good player.

Anyway I can spin random statistics the opposite way. When was the last time a supposed future #1 and multiple Grand Slam champion was 18 years old yet the only ever title they won was a $10K four years ago and can barely win matches in $25Ks? :confused:

Once again, I don't even understand how we got into this discussion. :o I'm actually really impressed with her run this week and maybe she's finally living up to what people expected. :shrug:

Ok, truce.

I happen to agree with MakarovaFan's overall point though, pointing a finger at people as being "bandwagoners" is a little silly. When a player does something that gets them noticed then obviously they are going to be talked about more. Some people are going to be be watching them for the first time and so obviously they will gain more fans. The notion that someone is a 2nd class fan if they weren't cheering for a player when they were playing $10k ITF events is plain silly. Most fans didn't even know their favourite player existed when they were playing at that level.

As for Laura's progress prior to her recent run of form, I believe I am right in saying that at no point in her pro career has there been a player younger than herself ranked higher than she was. The expectation that a teenage Laura would storm the professional ranks like Graf, Hingis and Seles did was never reasonable. The Age Eligibility Rules don't allow for that to happen, particularly when coupled with the current ranking system and I'm not sure it would be possible in today's game in any case.

In an interview on Sky after her win against Li Na, Laura put her recent results down to remaining injury free, which she hadn't been able to do in the past. There's also an element of growing and getting used to her own physique.

There are three things I've seen that I've liked about Laura's game over these past few months:

Power - she's always been a big hitter but Sharapova's coach recently said that, after Serena, Sharapova and Robson were the next most powerful players. I'd say he's bigging up his own player a bit (there's no way Maria hits it harder than Petra) but it's significant that he mentioned Laura. Against both Clijsters and Li Na she was pushing them back behind the baseline in a way that was reminiscent of Kvitova at Wimledon last year.
Speed - She is much quicker around the court than she was ayear ago. Balls that she didn't used to get to are now being thumped back hard.
Variety - She's using the lefty serve out wide better than she used to and is better at the net. I'm not saying she's an all court player by any means but she seems to be keen to add to her game and choosing to add to it in ways that benefit her as a lefty.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Ok, truce.

I happen to agree with MakarovaFan's overall point though, pointing a finger at people as being "bandwagoners" is a little silly. When a player does something that gets them noticed then obviously they are going to be talked about more. Some people are going to be be watching them for the first time and so obviously they will gain more fans. The notion that someone is a 2nd class fan if they weren't cheering for a player when they were playing $10k ITF events is plain silly. Most fans didn't even know their favourite player existed when they were playing at that level.

Very true but many act like they are an authority on a certain player when they've just recently become a fan. People should at least admit they are a recent fan and I think most people would be fine with that.

Like we all love our faves gaining more support but when new fans turn up and turn into tards with little knowledge of their player or other players then it tarnishes the whole fan base of a player.

toxina90
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:27 PM
I agree... I mean, sure they do go on about Murray and other Brits at Wimbledon (a lot) and the newspaper coverage here always gives weight to British players - but what else is anyone expecting? Sure, commentators and hosts love a speculative chat about "how far could Murray/Robson/etc go and can they win?" when it's vastly premature... but it's hardly unavoidable or unbearable. I don't really understand why people let this sort of normal home-bias upset them so much. I groan as much as the next person when the idiot commentators act like Murray is a cert for the tournament when he wins a convincing first set against some random chump, but just take it all with a pinch of salt and suck it up :p

I'm so used to it it's second nature to ignore it. Fair enough it has made Murray appear more annoying, but I can let that go now, now he has won a medal. But I'm sure they'll criticise him even more now for his terrible final record in Grand Slams. I'm sure they'll hype up Laura no end next year because of her breakthrough here, but again I won't give it any weight.

They do dish out plenty of criticism, even on air. The amount of times I've heard people complain about Robson's sluggish movement, even Virginia Wade only yesterday whilst commentating said how much she'd improved. But yeah it may be populist but not all the time, just watch what happens when Murray loses at this years US Open :tape:

tennisbum79
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Wasn't Laura attributed some comment where she seems to call other women "slots".
All of sudden, she is tapped to succeed Kim in Sainthood?
I don't understand

tennisbum79
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM
Apparently that's offending these people to the point where they feel the need to go around bad repping. :lol:
aahh, bad repping!! the refuge of scoundrels and cowards.
Why not keep everything in the open for other posters to see?

Morning Morgan
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:54 PM
When interviewed, she said the main thing she worked on with Krajan was getting the ball back in play when she was stretched out wide, whereas in the past she said she'll go for an unreal winner. That would definitely aid in the perception that her movement is improving.

KeysisGOAT
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:15 PM
Wasn't Laura attributed some comment where she seems to call other women "slots".
I don't understand

Criticising people for being sluts is a righteous occupation. Saint Paul did exactly that to the inhabitants of Corinth.

Raiden
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM
I don't understandIt's a British thing.

The way the system works is that you are anointed by a decree to be a princess/queen/saint/World Cup winner/whatever first... then after the title is given to you on a platter, you set out and try to earn it.

Wert.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Good to know.

She always looked kinda bitchy to me. :p

Volcana
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:37 AM
....and secondly Laura only played doubles I think Bally was the real hero she had to beat players like Peer,Paszek (said Austrian girl :o) and Kraijeck that week.You're missing the point of the article.

A pro, in a celebratory moment, taking half an hour to hit with a tweve year old fan is much more rare than an athlete doing their best under pressure.

Baltacha did for her team, and that's great.

Robson gave back to the fans.

Sweety Darling
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Laura better be careful. If she keeps displaying classy and kind behaviour then she will get so many haters LOL.

LOL that epic hater BlueTrees has already started to jump on the Robson bandwagon.

chingching
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
JUST SHUTUP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want to know what the consequences are of turning into me...
IMO, Laura is a really lovely girl and I understand why people are obsessed with her, but I also understand BlueTrees's opinion. Can't you just accept that you both have valid opinions...

Tenis Srbija
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
I watched her interviews during the USO. She is really one sweet girl. I hope the fame and all the fuss about being Top player, which I hope she will turn out to be eventually, won't spoil her.

Mary Cherry.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
JUST SHUTUP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want to know what the consequences are of turning into me...

I don't think any of us are capable of any supernatural shape-shifting abilities.

Sean.
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
I don't think any of us are capable of any supernatural shape-shifting abilities.

Speak for yourself! :ras:

bobbynorwich
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Laura is a very sweet natured person. Could do with someone like her at the top to counteract all the bitches.

True that. She's Clijsters redux.

:clap2:

tennisbum79
Sep 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
It's a British thing.

The way the system works is that you are anointed by a decree to be a princess/queen/saint/World Cup winner/whatever first... then after the title is given to you on a platter, you set out and try to earn it.

well, we Americans do not understand that.
that is why we abhor those aristocratic titles.