PDA

View Full Version : WWW USO R4: 2011 Slam Slayer Laura v Defending Champ Sam

J4m3ka
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:54 PM
2011 AO & FO champs have been slain by Laura. Will she snatch the defending champ? :oh:

borrowedheaven
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:55 PM
I actually think this match up could suit Laura.

Sean.
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:55 PM
This match will be a fascinating one. Pretty an sure it'll be an AA night match: defending champion vs. tournament darling.

The key will be how well Laura handles Sam's serve and top spin (doubt she'll have faced anything like it before), if she can use her height, time her shots right, get on the return and rush Sam (like Masha does) she really has the game to cause the Aussie some major trouble!

Not seen her play yet, but it sounds like Sam's playing well. Have to say though, the pressure will really ramped up on her, we'll see if she can handle it!

Doully
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm much more optimistic about Laura's chances against Stosur than I was about Li.

I love both women though. Too hard to choose.

misty1
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM
sam has handled the pressure here well. She's looked alot better here than kim or na did

im saying sam takes this one in 3

justineheninfan
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM
I didnt think Robson played as well today as against Clijsters and she really won because Na played a super bad match. I would say Stosur in 2. She has played well so far.

starin
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Sam's draw has been ridiculously soft and Laura is tall and playing/serving well. She has a decent shot if she keeps her nerves together.

stromatolite
Laura is playing really well and can definitely challenge Sam, but Sam has played a lot better so far in this tournament than either Kim or Na, so I think she still has to be clear favorite. But an upset wouldn't be a complete shock either.

C. Drone
Stosur should just withdraw to avoid the humiliation. We saw this match-up of her in past years many times, with barely any success.

gc-spurs
ermagerd if Laura wins!!

NoChokes
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks to my vote, Laura winning the poll now.

Think we're gonna need a big bandwagon boys.

Break My Rapture
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Stosur in straights. Despite many naive people thinking Robson will emulate Sharapova's and Azarenka's success against Stosur, you still need great footwork to get on top of Stosur's kick serves and to redirect everything into the Stosur BH, which Robson does not have. I will also add that Stosur's BH has looked quite OK so far in this tournament, not limpdick as usual.

SAISAI-GOAT
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Laura please take her out :oh:

DefJax
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think if Laura somehow manages to win this the entire nation of Australia will explode then fall into the ocean.

Tenis Srbija
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm kinda sure Sam will win this, but I will be rooting for Laura :lol:

sxeraserhead
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:41 PM
Laura isn't a small girl but I don't think she's dealt with such heavy topspin before :shrug: I would give her a chance if Sam wasn't crushing everyone.

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM
This could potentially be a nightmare match-up for Stosur, similar to Kvitty really. Her kick serve goes into Robson's forehand, her better shot, though I think Robson might struggle with higher balls; she has feasted on the flattish drives of Li and Clijsters. Forehand can go into Stosur's BH all day too.

However, if Stosur can get the ball to jump off the court and hit inside-outs with good width, Robson will be stretched enough to be less effective.

faboozadoo15
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Not sure, but rooting for Sam.

I doubt Robson will have the same success as Sharapova/Venus/Azarenka returning Stosur's serve just because she's tall. You need a good backhand too. :lol:

What's Ana's success against Stosur?

starin
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Not sure, but rooting for Sam.

I doubt Robson will have the same success as Sharapova/Venus/Azarenka returning Stosur's serve just because she's tall. You need a good backhand too. :lol:

What's Ana's success against Stosur?

She's a lefty though.

C. Drone
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Stosur in straights. Despite many naive people thinking Robson will emulate Sharapova's and Azarenka's success against Stosur, you still need great footwork to get on top of Stosur's kick serves and to redirect everything into the Stosur BH, which Robson does not have. I will also add that Stosur's BH has looked quite OK so far in this tournament, not limpdick as usual.

or maybe Kvitova, Safarova?

almost same result.

VikingTennisFan
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM
I voted Clijsters to beat Laura because Laura wasn't ever going to win that one...
Then I voted Laura to beat Li because I'm a fan. (she still wasn't going to win).

Now I voted Laura again, because.. well she might just...

no-hay-igual
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:53 PM
I need to keep reminding myself that Laura has already had a taste of Sam :lol:

Olympic mixed dubs quarter finals.

She will acknowledge the TS and Kick coming from Sam already, so she will have had some experience of playing against it. I think Laura will cope well after her initial nerves settle. But Sam is playing very well and she loves these courts so I can see her coming through this in 3, but will be hoping that Laura wins and will support her all the way :)

Chim
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:37 PM
They have never played before excepts the doubles match in London. The match-up could be disadvantaged to Sam. But I strongly believe Sam will get through especially the weather and court condition suit her game better.

Sammo
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:03 PM
As a Sam fan I'll tell you, Sam always defeats the 'revelation' player of the tournament who caused all the upsets, I'd say Sam in 2.

C. Drone
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:23 PM
As a Sam fan I'll tell you, Sam always defeats the 'revelation' player of the tournament who caused all the upsets, I'd say Sam in 2.

Errani? :lol:

DreamingTennis
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:41 PM
My friend Laura, good luck! :)

Sammo
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Errani? :lol:

Oh God I knew there was someone there missing when I said that, I didn't remember :hysteric: Apart from that... incident, she usually does what I said

dsanders06
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
Not sure... while it's true Robson is one of the tall, huge/flat-hitting, great-returning players that Stosur traditionally hates, the big question mark is that she's gotten beatdowns off of Medina Garrigues numerous times in the past 12 months, which might suggest she has a particular problem with dealing with topspin (although it might be AMG's good retrieval skills - which Stosur doesn't have - that bothered her rather than the spin on her shots).

flareon
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:05 PM
I would love Laura to win this her game is really good match up against Petra its a bit like Marias, and we all know Marias H2H, I think sam in three though but who knows.

toxina90
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:33 PM
You need a good backhand too. :lol:

Yeah Laura's backhand is so poor and hasn't helped at all this tounament :help:

KeysisGOAT
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah Laura's backhand is so poor and hasn't helped at all this tounament :help:

http://www.wheninmanila.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/0bb69f87_954-not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Natural Joe
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sam will take this in 3. I think Laura's ROS wasn't that good against Na so she might have even bigger problems with Sam's serve. Also, I want this poll to be balanced. :p

RenaSlam.
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM
Laura has a good shot. Was not impressed with Stosur in the last round.

Dodoboy.
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM
A bit ridiculous that Laura has to beat the AO, RG and US Champions just to make the QF here :rolls:

I think if she keeps a cool head, makes Sam play, put her under pressure, this could be hers!

DefJax
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah this has been such a harsh draw for her, normally if you'd just beaten Clijsters and Li in a row and were about to face Stosur you'd think it was a SF but it's only R4

KeysisGOAT
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM
Sam will take this in 3. I think Laura's ROS wasn't that good against Na so she might have even bigger problems with Sam's serve. Also, I want this poll to be balanced. :p

Her ROS in the third set was good enough for Laura to win almost as many points on Na's serve as there were points to play on Laura's (19 points won when receiving to 21 points served by Laura).

StoneRose
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah this has been such a harsh draw for her, normally if you'd just beaten Clijsters and Li in a row and were about to face Stosur you'd think it was a SF but it's only R4
Indeed. Interesting match for sure. Think Sam will win it in the end. If Laura keeps playing/improving like she did this year she'll have nothing to worry about.

paul_masterton
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM

You know Laura's a lefty right? Her forehand will go to Sams backhand naturally and the kick serve out wide on the ad side will go to her forehand too.

Slamlesswanska
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Laura only winning against AO 2011 finals :)

Dav.
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Interesting to see if she can keep up this run a la Kournikova in Miami '98...tournament darling slaying consecutive top players to go far.

Svetlana)))
Sep 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Rockson. She has just been on fire in the last 2 matches and Stosur was so damn nervous in that first set against Lepchenko

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
will be rooting hard for Laura! :cheer: but i think that sam will win this in 3. do your best, laura!

Petkovic
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Interesting match for sure. Think it will be close but I say Sam in 3. Wouldn't mind Laura to win this though, this has been such a good tournament for her.

Celestial
Sep 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM
Honestly, I think the draw has worked in Laura's favour. She's played two of the best matches and she's under no pressure going into this one to win. She's going to be the underdog in all her matches no matter who she plays now. Playing lower ranked players on outside courts following major upsets isn't easy. She certainly seems to do better on the big occasion.

tennisforadults
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Stosur should just withdraw to avoid the humiliation. We saw this match-up of her in past years many times, with barely any success.

Back into your hole.