PDA

View Full Version : Retired or Not - Should the Whole World Know?

garson
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:35 AM
Martina Navratilova once asked, "Are you sure?". Justine made it official back in 2008 before Roland Garros. Two years later she showed up in Brisbane coming out of retirement. Then because of elbow injury (correct me if I'm wrong), medical advice seriously recommend her to retire again.:[

Of course she's not the only one. After three years coming out of retirement, Kim Clijsters is calling it quit. Whether or not she announced it, it has been understandable. She's married with a little kid and wants to have more kids. Plus, splitting time with regimented training and coping with injuries have been too much. I wish she could have played few tournaments before this US Open so she could improve her ranking in order to get higher seeding. Who knows, she might have different outcome. :confused:

I know Andy Roddick just announced his retirement. Keeping this related to women's tennis: would I see Elena Dementieva coming out of retirement? Would Dinara Safina return?(I know she is not officially retired) I did not hear much about Elena's retirement until later. Maybe she just keep it private and tell the world at the end of the year tournament. Does it matter though whether or not you get the media attention like Kim today? Of course, it would be nice to know and fans would unavoidably feeling sad:sad:

Besides Kim Clijsters, I have not heard anybody else contemplating retirement. Do you know anybody else? Also, should players announce their retirement? What good it can do? or What bad it can do?

ajmo!
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:38 AM
I think they should. As a fan you would like to know and have a chance to enjoy last year of your favorite player on tour.

everythingtaboo
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm torn on the subject. On one hand I really respect players, like Dementieva, for being so humble, not trying to make a big deal out of it and saying goodbye to the world of tennis quietly. I think it must be difficult to, for example, walk off Centre Court for the final time and hardly anyone knowing the importance and sadness of the moment. But on the other hand, players kinda owe it to their fans to let them properly say goodbye after all the support they've given them over the years.