PDA

View Full Version : US Open Titanic 2R: (6) Kerber survives Venus "60 UEs" Williams 6-2 5-7 7-5

Pages : [1] 2

danieln1
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:19 AM
2010 Semi all over again

Venus :facepalm:

Dramatic match though

Venus was 4-2 on final set noooooooooooooooooooooo

azinna
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:20 AM
Tough stuff from Angelique. Great defense, of course, but takes charge of the points when down. And good close there at the very end.

Venus fought, but needed to better manage the form that she is in (not the one she wishes she were in).

taloki
:sobbing::tears::sobbing:

Gross result. Poor Venus.

Smitten
Venus.

http://u.cubeupload.com/Legend/fuming.gif

Andy.
The better player lost. Gutted for Venus :sad: Kerber's game is so boring and unappealing.

Serenus Christ
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/505568065.gif?key=235176&Expires=1346387199&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=qSNIa4Xve1N9v31xQaEjixJNtqIJKsgfe9uS6rg7 KM0tWUX2ZtfXmwLRpK7q~BYahsgUQw0CKm~NV77C8KNIk3uYr0 88mri759T1KHy4cnnUQEGKhg7KR4wW7RWUZ5zMiH70QyySA0-WgJFYFjR24bhBb~ibPZ3Rrq3MgzXzylg_

Venus it's time for full-time doubles.

Craig.
I legit wanna cry.

ElusiveChanteuse
NID. Only Vee's fighting spirit prolonged the match but outcome is still same.:oh:
Kerber :cheer: Win USO please.:oh:

Bayo
I hate tennis and life tonight.

Cosmic Voices
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:21 AM
My life! WTF was this :hysteric:

cellophane
Great match... Venus had it, Kerber is too tough That stretch volley was spectacular

Pasta-Na
Venus :hug:

Steven.
my heart................. why?

KoOlMaNsEaN
God :rolleyes: Kerber so lucky that stab volley saved her, Venus should have hit it down the line.
A great dramatic match for once at night, sux it had to end like it did.

Good4TheGame
Thank you, Kerber :worship:

I thought she was finished after choking the 2nd set but what a comeback in the 3rd :D

Mynarco
Poor Venus - she could have gone deep had she not played Kerber in the 2nd round.

Si_Hi
60 UEs from venus....:help:

Marty-Dom
What a shit fest from Venus. Going for every shot whether justified or not. The definition of brainless ball bashing......

ACEof DIAMONDS
Kerber I Love You

swissmr
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:22 AM
Gutted for Venus :sad: Also, those eurosport commentators need shooting sacking. Not a positive word to say about either player, and constantly speculating about Vee's retirement.

VeeJJ
I Fucking Hate Tennis Right Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitten
:haha: I cannot stop laughing. Flop, fight, get to the end flop again.

Andy.
God :rolleyes: Kerber so lucky that stab volley saved her, Venus should have hit it down the line

Or at her face ;)

Steven.
Venus :sobbing: you fought well tonight though I didn't expect it to go to three sets. Had your chances but it's okay win doubles baby gurl!!!

flareon
:o kerbers attitude is the poorest I have seen tonight and the fake MTO disgraceful I am rooting for govortsova next round :o...

Venus :o if you had hit 10 less unforced errors you would have the win another close match lost... I feel lost where do we go from here now.

Patrick345
Great intense match. The scariest part is that Errani knows how to play Kerber since the French Open and I´m really afraid Errani will beat her again. :tape:

ACEof DIAMONDS
LOL @ the crowd acting like they weren't against Kerber

mdterp01
U don't deserve to win a match with 60 unforced errors.....PERIOD!!! That. was abysmal!!!!! Nice fight but ugh...up 4-2 serving and collapsed.

Jane Lane
YAS ANGIE. YAS. :hearts: Life.

Smitten
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:23 AM
The definition of brainless ball bashing......

That's been her career. She has no tactics, strategy, or knowledge when to pull off and make balls.

guapogreg08
What.
Just.
Happened.

Andy.
I legit wanna cry.

I know :sad: when she broke I was so certain it was hers. This US Open has been crap so far. Venus and Kim both going out before they should have.

nfl46
Wow, I know deep down Venus is very hurt. I'm sure she'll cry about this one. She really needs to get that ranking up. No way this should have been a second round match.

BrandClay
All credit to Kerber for getting to so many balls.....

Tough for Venus....still took it 3 sets with 60 unforced errors and NO SERVE!!! Maybe she wanted it too badly...

djb84xi
To be honest, Venus lost this more than Kerber won it. Anytime you make that many unforced errors, you are not gonna win a match, just that plain and simple. As well as Venus competed, she blew her chance to pull off the victory. Very unfortunate loss, but I'm proud of her regardless of the result.

Dani12
Unfortunate second round.

mistymore
This match was shit. Venus played awful in most respects and still nearly won. I thought Kerber with her easy draw would make the semis and defend her points of last year, but if she plays like she did today she could go out soon except for the fact her draw is so ridiculously easy.

StoneRose
Congrats Angie :cheer:. Stepped up her level in the second half of that third set :yeah:.

Lunaticalm
Great win Carebear! I love it!

Poor Venus she had so many chances to win it but Angie hung on! Clutch tennis from both!

pedropt
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:24 AM
I Fucking Hate Tennis Right Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This :fiery:

Smitten
Errani knows how to play Kerber since the French Open and I´m really afraid Errani will beat her again. :tape:

That's on clay. Kerber is not really that good on clay.

IceSkaTennisFan
I'm a casual Venus fan, but Venus had just too many errors. She really needs to play high percentage shots more often. It doesn't take over hitting to finish a point. All that said, this is a nice start for Venus in slams. She can learn a lot from this. I'm actually glad she lost, because she shouldn't have that many unnecessary errors and win. It overshadows the amazing potential she still possesses.

tennisrules
Kerber kept her cool and her wits about her. After she lost the second set I expected her to fade like she did against Li Na in Cincinnati.

Venus:hug:came back strong in that second set to win it. If Venus were two-three years younger she would have won this.

Great match, the crowd was so happy to finally have a decent match at night.

Moveyourfeet
That was so basic of Venus to hit that final return halfway up the net.
And ugh at Kerber and her man jaw.

égalité
Lord have mercy I can't.

Heart attack. :hearts: Angie :hearts:

miffedmax
Close, so close for Venus. :sad:

Time for bed.

DOUBLEFIST
Venus is still a shadow of her former self and Kerber struggled and had to go three.

Renalicious
The wrong winner won. I'm not a sore loser but fuck this shit, Venus DESERVED TO WIN THAT MATCH 1 billion times over. :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

She enforced ALL THE FRICKEN PLAY. Omg........ gutted. SO GUTTED. :sobbing: :sobbing:

tkutsaar
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:25 AM
Venus was much more competitive than what I thought she would be. It was a breathtaking match but in the end it is clear Venus is in the twilight of her career whereas Angelique is an emerging star. The fact that Venus could not hold on to a 4-2 lead in the third set is proof of such sentiment.

hingisGOAT
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpsbj9T3mm1qbxrev.gifhttp://a0.img.mobypicture.com/50d289ecc5615b563d2a3728d4a27f7d_view.jpg

aguy9797
Angie was a better player tonight. She should have taken this in 2 sets. The only reason it took 3 sets was the partisan, rude crowd which obviously got into Angie's head...sport is not only about making Americans win, you guys!

Serenita
What ahole planet are you on, she's an american they should cheer for theire country woman you dumb fuck:wavey:

ExXotikal
Kiiiii :rolls:

Matej
Well, an interesting battle of contrasting styles of play. ;)

Someone asked the question whether Kerber is a great player. I´d say not yet. At the very least, she needs a much better serve. Is she had substantially better serve, she could have won this match something like 6-2, 6-3 ... Instead, she won the match mainly because of series of pretty "avoidable" UEs by Venus at the end of the third set.

Anyway, Kerber was definitely fighting hard even when she was 2-4 down in the third set, so this win isn´t exactly "undeserved".

dencod16

They weren't against Kerber they were just pulling for Venus, They never booed her.

Infiniti2001
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:26 AM
Oh Vee :sobbing: You fought and did your best.. It hurts, but life goes on :sobbing:

mistymore
Venus is still a shadow of her former self and Kerber struggled and had to go three.

Just shows how talentless the so called new generation is.

Moveyourfeet
That's been her career. She has no tactics, strategy, or knowledge when to pull off and make balls.

It must have killed you when she beat Coketina.

Lachy
Kerber's groundstrokes are sooo freaking disgusting :sobbing: She's playing so well right now, so consistent. But that serve, that forehand technique...cringe worthy. :tape:

NashaMasha
I have only one question " Who will punish this Kerber? "

Dodoboy.

This is Venus in SOOOOO many matches ! :hysteric:

djb84xi
U don't deserve to win a match with 60 unforced errors.....PERIOD!!! That. was abysmal!!!!! Nice fight but ugh...up 4-2 serving and collapsed.

Hey I'm with u on that. Venus is too good to throw away leads like that. She's also too good for 60 UEs. I wish she would take her time and finish her groundies the right way. Rushing through a shot is not gonna win matches. Neither is bashing the ball all the time either.

Wiggly
Venus played like shit and Angelique "#1 Finger-Waving " Kerber needed a tight three-setters to beat her.

LindsayRulz
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:27 AM
What a mess of a match that was! :tape: I really thought Kerber had blown her chances after failing to close out the match up *5-4 in the second set. She looked out of shape during that third set and yet she found a way to comeback and pass Venus at the finish line. Credits to Kerber! :yeah: Venus :hug:

treufreund
The better player lost. Gutted for Venus :sad: Kerber's game is so boring and unappealing.

It was boring often because she was tentative but Kerber elevated her game and I just don't think a player who hit 60 unforced errors and like 16 double faults is the better player!

new-york
Someone fix my heart.

Stonerpova
Im in love.

Infiniti2001
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:28 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpsbj9T3mm1qbxrev.gifhttp://a0.img.mobypicture.com/50d289ecc5615b563d2a3728d4a27f7d_view.jpg

Typical buller response :lol:

thelittlestelf
Piece of shit match

DeliriousPotato
I'm pretty serene with this horrifying show, Kerber totally deserved it, I was actually pretty impressed with her attitude, it's a pretty good evolution from what we saw at the Cincy Final :oh:
My pick for this quarter's semi-final, for sure (hope Aga can reach the quarters so I can see her be obliterated :oh: )

dencod16
Venus camp didn't tell her what happened in Eastbourne with Paszek. All she needed to do was put the ball and play and there is nothing Kerber can do.

Dodoboy.
She fought so well, her competitiveness is to be admired. How she managed to lose 5-7 in the third playing THAT awfully and with NO credible serve for more than 2 points is beyond me. Why did she play so bad though? :hysteric:

Just AWFUL shots from start to finish. Big point at 4-2 in the third felt like a game change with Kerber wagging that fat little finger of hers.

Patrick345
Gutted for Venus :sad: Also, those eurosport commentators need shooting sacking. Not a positive word to say about either player, and constantly speculating about Vee's retirement.

Chanda Rubin did a great job commentating, giving a good balance between the positives and negatives, and analysis of the match. One thing that people need to understand is that every long rally has a knock on effect for Venus and many of these errors are therefore not really unforced. I bet if you break down Venus´s clean unforced return errors and double faults, they often came after long hard rallies. If you only want to say they are all unforced you don´t do the hitting justice. Some of the rallies that were traded back and forth at high speeds were intense and would have been too much for a lot of players to even handle, so when the error eventually comes it isn´t really unforced. This is not Radwanska vs. CSN baseline hitting and moving, where you can take a nap duirng the rally.

NashaMasha
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:29 AM
It was boring often because she was tentative but Kerber elevated her game and I just don't think a player who hit 60 unforced errors and like 16 double faults is the better player!

backboard is the better player? right?

Vikapower
:spit: Kerber could have retake her "I'm a great player" had she lost this match -- she always led in points all throughout and Venus was total unforced error bot that she could have very easily close this thing in two.

Venus came with the wrong game-plan in this match thinking she could really 'outhit' Kerber with pure power off the court without paying the price. :spit: In the second (near end) and third set, she started hitting the ball a little less harder, threw some couple slices and off-pace shots and all of a sudden Kerber was missing a ton. :lol:

Kerber is a player you can't beat her with outright power, she feels comfortable when you always come at her but as soon as she feels she needs to do something more with her shots on balls with a little less speed and more spins she makes tons of unforced errors and has no clue whatsoever how to play real offense. Her aggressive base-line tennis is atrocious, her incapacity to step on the base-line and play-make is not even top 200 but she's a really good aggressive counter-puncher.

Agatha Radwanska confirms that she will own her in the future every time they meet and Victoria too.

Leo St
tips on regrouping

Infiniti2001
Venus played like shit and Angelique "#1 Finger-Waving " Kerber needed a tight three-setters to beat her.

Yeah!! The #6 in the rankings :lol: Oh well, this is Venus --what can we say? :shrug:

Lunaticalm
Angie was a better player tonight. She should have taken this in 2 sets. The only reason it took 3 sets was the partisan, rude crowd which obviously got into Angie's head...sport is not only about making Americans win, you guys!

Of course, they're in NY after all so it's only natural for them to be so supportive of Venus. I agree they were partisan and a bit rude but that is an unfortunate part of tennis.

goldenlox
That was an interesting cross generation match. Probably headed towards Kerber/Radwanska quarter, winner playing Serena.
Kerber really improved since last summer. She's for real as a top 5 fixture, maybe top 8, but she's there. YEC level player who's very solid and still young

Boxuan
post-match interview, Kerber: "Everybody is against me!" LMFAO...:haha:

aguy9797
They weren't against Kerber they were just pulling for Venus, They never booed her.

they were celebrating every of her mistakes, that is not exactly tennis etiquette

ArturoAce.
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:30 AM
4-2!!! :o :o
credit to kerber though- did not want to go away :ras:

Svetlana)))
:bigcry: So many chances for both players. Really sad for V but proud that she fought her heart out.

Stonerpova
I can't at you guys saying this wasn't a great match. Some of those rallies were obscene.

KBdoubleu

And yet she is more accomplished than Hingis in singles, doubles, and mixed.

Anyway, was glad to see Venus fighting so hard and the crowd cheering so hard for her. Despite being completely off she found a way to get it to a third set. Really disappointing to see her lose a match she could have won - especially with a pretty open draw to the semis.

Pops Maellard
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:31 AM
Really?? :o:o

Kon[GS]illiams
Vee is such an errors machine :rolleyes::help:

but it's good to see she still fighting for it.

Goodluck Kerber :wavey:

Andy.
they were celebrating every of her mistakes, that is not exactly tennis etiquette

What year are you living in???

http://www.johnnycupcakes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/vintage_tennis_float.jpg

WF4EVER
Venus surely has shown a lot of fight these days but her game is still the same old shit. It's like she hasn't learned a damn thing and as such she can't do any better.

Sjogren's Syndrome or not, Venus still makes the same bad decisions on court that she has always made and she won't make any adjustments when she's missing all over the court. AND, she waits until she is losing to decide it's time to come to the net. Same old Venus.

Forget the first set, she couldn't win a single game on serve. But after that long game in the second when she held, she steadied herself and was finally able to get on a roll. Then she gets a break and gives it back. TWICE.

Kerber is just a left-handed Caroline Wozniacki. She keeps the ball in play and waits for the opponent to fuck up.

I'm sure Venus had a game plan going into this match. She just couldn't execute that game because she hasn't gotten her own flaws under control. Watching Venus lose matches like this over and over again just makes me wish she would quit singles competition. She's too old to learn anything new, and what she already knows, she won't put into practice because she's too stubborn.

danieln1
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:32 AM
tips on regrouping

Deve ter sido foda ver essa partida pra vc que eh fă da Venus...... E como eu sei tb, gostando da Davenport, Ivanovic... ahahhahaha

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:32 AM
I was :haha: during the entire 3rd set watching Kerber faking composure and sarcastically applauding Venus' shots. Seemed to work though, she played some calm points when down and ground it out towards the end, almost playing like she didn't care anymore. I guess she's never played on Ashe? Seemed to let the atmosphere get to her. Serve was :tape:. Hard to believe SErena managed to go an entire match without breaking that.

As for Venus, this is not the player who set the bar for athleticism in the game back in 2000. She just cannot afford to blast away on every shot like she used to then... a paradox I know, because she is not physically capable of lasting in longer rallies. But the style of play she seems to want to continue to play needs the insane physicality she once possessed.

Foxy
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:33 AM
It took Venus a while to settle in the match. In the third set when she was up 4-2 she could have won the match, but she kept going for too big of shots. All of those out wide serves that got Kerber off of the court, she REFUSED to use them like Pam Shriver stated.

Kerber didn't win the match, Venus lost it. She gave too many points to kerber with all of her UFE's.

Venus is knocking on the door and she's just gonna have to play a few more tournaments to get her RANKING UP HIGHER.

Venus should have taken some off of her first serves and she should have added more spin on the ball and quit going for the lines. Lindsey Davenport use to always say that Venus will always give away FREE EASY POINTS by GOING FOR THE LINES. And that's just what Venus did, she gave the game away with all of her UFE's and going for the lines.

dencod16

They were only doing that when Venus was down, when Venus got right on, the crowd was stale. Have you seen rude, go watch the French Open.

wozfan01
what a heartpumper!!
some great rallies and awful misses, but a pretty good match throughout. that amazing stab volley by Kerber at 30 all 4-2 for Venus really changed the momentum of the game.
Poor Venus, she really wanted it, but hopefully Kerber can take advantage of her draw and make the semis

Maria4Ever
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:34 AM
The best thing about the match is 30,000 American's crying on the way home. That crowd was a disgrace, and I am so glad that Venus lost, I just hope Stephens loses soon as her crowd is just as bad. Surprisingly, Serena's crowd is pretty good, which makes this situation disgraceful.

davidmario
Really one of the worst matches out there tonight. Especially Venus looked like some club player. How could she completely lose her serve? I mean Jie Zheng is having a better second serve than V does - well that's the thing: She has one - Venus should better serve underarm but I really doubt that she would make that court with her given touch.
It should've been 2 and 1 for Kerber. Venus is just a tiny tiny tiny shade of her former self. Disappointing and it scratched another scar in the heart of someone who started to follow tennis because of seeing her 14 years ago. I was 10 years old. It hurts.

cellophane
Kerber is just a left-handed Caroline Wozniacki..

Um, no.

hingisGOAT
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:35 AM

You damn well know her accomplishments are only 'cause her career is twice as long and she played with the best player in her generation. Hingis was obviously the superior talent and player, as their h2h indicates (5-2 in big events), and in doubles it's not even close, V couldn't win shit if Serena didn't drag her older sister's dead weight to victory time and time again.

Patrick345
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:35 AM
post-match interview, Kerber: "Everybody is against me!" LMFAO...:haha:

Kerber´s english is not that great. She simply meant to say it was tough to play, because the whole stadium was behind Venus. Of course if the on court interviewer had half a brain, she would have picked up on that, but she thinks every player needs to be as fluent in english as Shriver is in spanish, french, german and mandarin. :rolleyes:

V-MAC
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:36 AM
Congrats Angie.

The fact that Vee was even able to drag any kind of performance out of herself when she had no serve for the entire match speaks volumes:worship:
It was really unfortunate that she had the worst serving performance possible. If only it was even half decent tonight it could have been a lot different out there.
Very proud of her efforts though for fighting like the champion she is.

Cajka
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:36 AM
Wow, I admire all the people who had patience to write some long posts here. Congrats, Kerber. I'm just heartbroken.

Smitten
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:37 AM

What the fuck does Legend have to do with this thread? :spit:

Stonerpova
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:38 AM
You damn well know her accomplishments are only 'cause her career is twice as long and she played with the best player in her generation. Hingis was obviously the superior talent and player, as their h2h indicates (5-2 in big events), and in doubles it's not even close, V couldn't win shit if Serena didn't drag her older sister's dead weight to victory time and time again.

:tape:

hingisGOAT
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM
And while every time this brainless ball-basher and cheater loses it is good for the sport, the match was so terrible that its not worth much comment. Generation SUCK for a reason; Kerber was just pain awful :tape: I'll leave with one comment: Venus picked and flicked a booger, on camera, onto the court, in the 2nd set. Truly a foul woman.

bertoltbrecht
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM
Same shit, different year.......Oy vey!:confused:

Shivank17
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:40 AM
Phew Angie, almost choked.

And dead at some Willytards insulting Kerber, just because she beat Venus and Serena. :facepalm: Real classy.

serendipitynow
Kerber :dance:

Maria4Ever
Kerber´s english is not that great. She simply meant to say it was tough to play, because the whole stadium was behind Venus. Of course if the on court interviewer had half a brain, she would have picked up on that, but she thinks every player needs to be as fluent in english as Shriver is in spanish, french, german and mandarin. :rolleyes:

Surely there is a German translater or are Americans becoming more cheap as well. Never understood why people interview others in the national language. It is like Li Na having to speak English (she isn't too bad now). Get translators they only have 350 million people to choose from!

Vikapower
Kerber is just a left-handed Caroline Wozniacki. She keeps the ball in play and waits for the opponent to fuck up.

Kerber =! Wozniacki. Kerber has very solid angles, her balls have weight and relative speed, are flat and generally have good depth ; her rallying balls are quality-full for most -- she's not just putting the ball back in play defensively that's what makes her more difficult to play for power-hitters than a plain retriever/defender like Wozniacki who just moon-balls everything in people's hitting zones. Kerber contrary to Wozniacki can really fight flat shots very well with quality shots in return, low center of gravity and strong leg.

Shivank17
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:41 AM
This.

andyjason
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:42 AM
Kerber's defense is too good
Venus could win if the opponent is weaker even with so many errors

Infiniti2001
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:42 AM

Oh sit yo ass down :help: Hingis won her 5 slams before Venus could win 1 idiot :lol:

wozfan01
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:43 AM

Um. No, Kerber is an aggresive counter puncher. She can rip winners, goes for angles, and when she's on the run she gets most of her balls deep, making it hard for opponents to outhit her. Slumpniacki loops balls up just waiting to be smacked

davidmario
Venus also slipped out of her shoe at the changeover at 26 34 and then just slipped back in without re-tying her shoelaces. I was like: Do you take this serious here? She also decided to rush and wrap a new overgrip and did not have any time to take a sip of water or some energy drink. Sometimes, it is really hard to understand Venus way of thinking.

n1_and_uh_noone
For all those hung up on the number of UEs Venus made, surely this is not the most she ever has. IIRC she has had over 80 in some matches like the Pironkova one at the AO.

barmaid
what a heartpumper!!
some great rallies and awful misses, but a pretty good match throughout. that amazing stab volley by Kerber at 30 all 4-2 for Venus really changed the momentum of the game.
Poor Venus, she really wanted it, but hopefully Kerber can take advantage of her draw and make the semis

Yeah, great fight from Venus but this tilt was one errorfest....:eek::rolleyes: for every great shot there were empteen bad ones...and thats on both sides..Kerber wasn't exactly winning any fans with her sloppy play...time to reevaluate your goals Venus...you've had a great career.:worship:..it's just becoming too hard to compete at this level:eek:, pull down the drapes and start sewing again...I think the fashion business is a lot easier.:lol:

Barmaid:wavey:

Utautai
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:44 AM
60UFEs. 16 DFs. 4-2 final set :sobbing:

Vikapower
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:45 AM
:spit: It's funny how Kerber has defeated the WS the most of any active player -- her streak is at what now ? 3-4 consecutive wins. I'm certain she can snatch Serena in the SF, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened but --

Her massive choke in the second set against Venus hitting tons of UE's makes me doubt she'll have enough balls to serve Serena out for a F in the US Open.

I can see Kerber do a Justine's US Open 2007. Venus had lost approximately in the same manner that year, then Justine snatched Rena.

Infiniti2001
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:45 AM
And while every time this brainless ball-basher and cheater loses it is good for the sport, the match was so terrible that its not worth much comment. Generation SUCK for a reason; Kerber was just pain awful :tape: I'll leave with one comment: Venus picked and flicked a booger, on camera, onto the court, in the 2nd set. Truly a foul woman.

Veuns is on your brain still after all these years :lol: I mean, you hate her so much that you even watch her pick her boogers., What does that say about you buller boy? :rolls:

SV_Fan
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM
I don't see the big deal about the UE count, in her 2007 QF against Jankovic she almost 60 errors, in the late 90s she would have 40-50 errors in a match and still come out on top.

Rest Maria!
Whoa nice fight back from 2-4 down in the third.

Venus double faults waaay to much. Still, she can now regroup and focus on doubles, she may leave NYC with yet another major trophy this year.

mistymore
Oh sit yo ass down :help: Hingis won her 5 slams before Venus could win 1 idiot :lol:

Hingis won all but 1 of her slams in the only year of womens tennis as bad as the last 3 or 4 years. January 1997-January 1998 when the field was so weak Coetzer made #3 in the World. Hingis's chief rival that year was an aging Jana Novotna, a doubles specialist and singles grass specialist.

Dexter
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:47 AM
Missed all the drama as I fell asleep before the match and woke up only as Angie was serving for it at *6-5 but Im glad with the outcome. Well done, Angie - keep going! :yeah:

Atomic
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:47 AM
She needs to take a leaf out of Andy Roddick's book.

Huntress55
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:48 AM
It wasnt the best quality at times but I enjoyed that match, probably because I didnt mind who won.

Well done to Kerber :yeah:

StoneRose
Phew Angie, almost choked.

And dead at some Willytards insulting Kerber, just because she beat Venus and Serena. :facepalm: Real classy.And wishing her injuries, i can't at fake tennis fans going overboard like that.

ezone
Great match ! Great fight from both players. Not easy playing against a big favorite at the U.S. Open and pulling out a win. Remember Baghdatis vs. Agassi.

Serenita
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:50 AM
Veuns is on your brain still after all these years :lol: I mean, you hate her so much that you even watch her pick her boogers., What does that say about you buller boy? :rolls:
:lol:

Kairi
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:51 AM

oh STFU at the end of the day Hingis is the one who will be known as a COKE HEAD, NOT VENUS.. now sit your dumb ass down.

jetglo
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:53 AM
Venus camp didn't tell her what happened in Eastbourne with Paszek. All she needed to do was put the ball and play and there is nothing Kerber can do.

Yeah right, 'cause that's all Paszek did then. :lol:

Belmont Lad
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:53 AM
What a hot mess :help: Angie narrowly avoids an embarrassing loss. :speakles:

Spring Pools
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:55 AM
http://s002.radikal.ru/i200/1110/ae/07161781d9c1.gif
Lena doesn't approve of Venus trying to hit more double faults than she could...

ExXotikal
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:56 AM
hingisGOAT is so pressed. I don't even like Venus but she is superior to Martina in every way. Have a line and sit the hell down.

ezone
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:57 AM
What a hot mess :help: Angie narrowly avoids an embarrassing loss. :speakles:

I imagine you must have played in Ashe Stadium at the Open in front of a night crowd.

M.S.F
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:58 AM
Unfair draw.
Venus still has a lot to offer and just needs to play more tournament.
A season to forget for Venus.

égalité
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hingis won all but 1 of her slams in the only year of womens tennis as bad as the last 3 or 4 years. January 1997-January 1998 when the field was so weak Coetzer made #3 in the World. Hingis's chief rival that year was an aging Jana Novotna, a doubles specialist and singles grass specialist.

Nathalie Tauziat got to #3 in the world not long after Serena won her first slam so what's your point? :spit:

And :worship: at Legend being so relevant that she gets brought up in a thread about Angelique Kerber winning a match.

Kairi
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:59 AM
hingisGOAT is so pressed. I don't even like Venus but she is superior to Martina in every way. Have a line and sit the hell down.

That creature is probably on a coke run for his "Legend" right now.

Leo St
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:00 AM
kerber is a great player, im proud of venus despite being so heartbroken right now, kerber fans congratulations, i hope she has a good run

hingis fans trying to stir problems, wake up, your favorite is retired and has grown up, if you do like her as you say, stop embarassing her by acting like babies in her name

darrinbaker00
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:01 AM

When the chair umpire says your name after "Game, set, match," that means you were the better player. Please do not delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

Shaun:::
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:03 AM
Venus:sobbing:

Kairi
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:03 AM
When the chair umpire says your name after "Game, set, match," that means you were the better player. Please do not delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

Don't you have anything better to do than be an annoying TWAT? :weirdo:

VishaalMaria
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:04 AM
LOL sixty errors? Hard task to win a match with that stat.

pov
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:04 AM
And even with all those UEs, this was the most engaging match of tournament so far. A thriller. There was some great tennis played.

StoneRose
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:07 AM
kerber is a great player, im proud of venus despite being so heartbroken right now, kerber fans congratulations, i hope she has a good run

hingis fans trying to stir problems, wake up, your favorite is retired and has grown up, if you do like her as you say, stop embarassing her by acting like babies in her name:yeah:.

Craig.
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:07 AM

Preach, sista!

serenafann
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM
Venus you deserve a lot of credit you were amazing saw many moments of vintage Vee,but your errors did you in,keep getting better. Congrats Kerber you are a great mover and fighter.

Serenita
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM
:lol:

Smitten
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:09 AM
And :worship: at Legend being so relevant that she gets brought up in a thread about Angelique Kerber winning a match.

So irrelevant that Venus fans bring her up out of the ether unprompted.

Infiniti2001
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:10 AM

:sobbing:

duhcity
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:10 AM
Just got home from this match :lol:
Easily the most dramatic one I've ever gone to - the crowd really got to Angie. There were people yelling "You're Welcome" when the Chair Ump said Thank You, all the cheering, a drunk lady kept yelling THAT WAS OUT in the middle of the point if one of Kerber's shots even approached a line.

But the crowd really kept Venus in it - could you imagine if it was Kerber who had caught all those tosses?

The night crowd is going to RIP APART Bernard tomorrow.

Also, this is the first time Kerber has ever been on Ashe, no? She wasn't there last year. Really handled everything well.

KBdoubleu
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:12 AM

Ok - so head-to-head indicates who the better player is? Then I guess players such as Hantuchova, Azarenka, Radwanska, Razzano, and Myskina are better than Hingis. By the way, a little thing a person like you loves to ignore when discussing Hingis/Venus head to head is the fact that 14 of their 21 matches came before Venus won a slam (and all after Hingis had won her first). The fact that their head to head is so close when just seven of their matches took place after Venus had won a slam is very telling. You're right about one thing - doubles is not even close. 13 slams > 9 slams. Also, even though Venus' career is "twice as long" - she has not played that much more than Hingis. Hingis has still played more doubles tournaments in her career than Venus...and Venus has only played 22 more tournaments in singles. Hingis took advantage of a weak period in women's tennis. Her record in slam finals against top ten players is just 1 and 6.

saarsngg
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Venus :sobbing:

Good sign for Kerber: since 2005, the player who beat Venus at the US Open went on to win the tournament.

Spring Pools
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:14 AM
Just got home from this match :lol:
Easily the most dramatic one I've ever gone to - the crowd really got to Angie. There were people yelling "You're Welcome" when the Chair Ump said Thank You, all the cheering, a drunk lady kept yelling THAT WAS OUT in the middle of the point if one of Kerber's shots even approached a line.

But the crowd really kept Venus in it - could you imagine if it was Kerber who had caught all those tosses?

The night crowd is going to RIP APART Bernard tomorrow.

Thatwas Vivica A Fox screaming out EVERY TIME - trying to stay relevant :facepalm:

pav
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:19 AM
I just gotta love the friggin Angie:hearts: More so whe she showed true class by using the towel head:)

Smitten
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:20 AM
Also, this is the first time Kerber has ever been on Ashe, no? She wasn't there last year. Really handled everything well.

She was there when she played Serena here 5 years ago.

ExXotikal
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:25 AM
Ok - so head-to-head indicates who the better player is? Then I guess players such as Hantuchova, Azarenka, Radwanska, Razzano, and Myskina are better than Hingis. By the way, a little thing a person like you loves to ignore when discussing Hingis/Venus head to head is the fact that 14 of their 21 matches came before Venus won a slam (and all after Hingis had won her first). The fact that their head to head is so close when just seven of their matches took place after Venus had won a slam is very telling. You're right about one thing - doubles is not even close. 13 slams > 9 slams. Also, even though Venus' career is "twice as long" - she has not played that much more than Hingis. Hingis has still played more doubles tournaments in her career than Venus...and Venus has only played 22 more tournaments in singles. Hingis took advantage of a weak period in women's tennis. Her record in slam finals against top ten players is just 1 and 6.

Hingis Stans are something else:lol:

pov
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:27 AM
Venus fans
:confused: Boggles the mind to think that there are also people who don't appreciate V.Williams.

Inger67
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:31 AM
Venus, you wanted this so badly :sad:

What a great call by the linesmen and chair umpire at 5-4* :cheer:

Venus for not challenging :rolleyes: I will never understand why you don't challenge more often.

darrinbaker00
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:33 AM

No, and from the looks of things, neither do you.

New_balls_please
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:37 AM
Just got home from this match. Most electric match I've ever seen :inlove:
Venus :sad: :tears: :sobbing: We still love you though :hug:

How can people hate Venus? :sad:

Temperenka
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:45 AM
Thought it was a good match. Shame it had to come in the second round.

hankqq
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:51 AM
:sad: sigh. Well at the very least, Venus showed that when she played well (which wasn't often enough in this match :o) she has more than enough ability left in her to challenge the top players. If she had just made a few less errors, the match would have been hers. I hope Venus plays in the fall and gets that ranking up so she can stay the hell away from Kerber and Radwanska early on in events :lol:

Drimal
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:54 AM
So relieved. Well done Angie :woohoo:

duhcity
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:55 AM
Venus: "Today I felt American for the first time at the US Open."

:unsure:

Banditoo
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:57 AM
She had the game and she will show it somehow, I know it! She is very positive person and she'll find a way to comeback stronger!

claypova
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM
i thought Venus had it after checking the score at 4-2 in 3rd set :o

Yashal
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:24 AM
Mother of God, disgusting result.
The bottom half is really falling apart :help: Rena, Berta, you are the only ones who can save us! Please gurls, destroy all these bitches and reac the SF :fiery:

bandabou
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:33 AM
That game at 4-3 in the third was key..30-0 with chance for 40-0, Vee goes on ufe brings.

SM
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:36 AM
Alicia Molik said the better player playing the better tennis lost ...i agree. venus :( hope to see vee do better at aus open with a better draw!

kerber is tough

Golan
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:37 AM
OMG I can't, loses against pusher must be sad :sad:
Poor Vee

perseus2006
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:44 AM
Sad crowd didn't even applaud Kerber's victory! Even the French crowd applaudes the victor at the end of a match.

What's with Kerber strutting around waving her finger in the air as if to say, "Think you're BAD? Then smell THIS!"

Kerber dominates the stats, except for serve speed. But forget Venus's serve when she throws in 16 DF's! That's how Kerber won, she did everything BETTER than Venus.

That's an amazing situation since I've read in posts in this thread how bad Kerber really is: Terrible serve, just a god awful forehand, a pathetic pusher, bad jaw, poor technique, etc and so on.

Venus lost. Actually badly considering she led 4-2 in the third set and lost 5-7. Kerber won 5 of the last 6 games in the match For The Win! So, if Kerber is such a pathetic tennis player, what does all this say about Venus?

oh yeah i guess
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:50 AM
Why is everyone so mad Kerber won though? Hardly an unexpected result. :lol:

bobbynorwich
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
To her credit, Venus in her twilight years gave a good fight spurred on by a rousing American audience. Short of massive crowd support and Serena as her partner in doubles, unfortunately Venus probably won't capture another major title. Will she take the high road like Roddick or continue to slog out tourneys to reach the 2nd or 3rd round, only to leave as a shadow of her best self?

:sad:

Setsuna.
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:59 AM
Love you Angie. Keep it up girl.
Venus fought really hard which is great to see.

Libertango
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:27 AM
I don't know if I'm more thrilled for Angie or more gutted for Venus :sad:

duhcity
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:38 AM
Thatwas Vivica A Fox screaming out EVERY TIME - trying to stay relevant :facepalm:

Just read an article on Vivica I am DYING

olivero
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM
:sad: it's sad to see her go out in R2
first Clijsters now Venus.

But damn she looked beautiful today...

champion88
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:44 AM
Shame on Venus :(

She had a great draw after this match, with a QF and possibly SF on the cards!

bobbynorwich
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM

What? She got wild applause when she won the USO in 2000 and 2001, as in her other final appearances. Amnesia?

:confused:

Crunchy Booboo
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:53 AM
Woohoo go Angie :cheer: Congratulations! Haters gonna hate

rrfnpump
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:54 AM
Why is everyone so mad Kerber won though? Hardly an unexpected result. :lol:

+1. Kerber has now beaten Venus on clay, grass and hard this season. So it was expected.

What is wrong with the US crowd though? I have never seen them being SO biased in both Malek v Stephens and Kerber v Venus. Not clapping for points for the Germans at all. :o

supermod
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:02 AM
The crowd sucked. Worse than Roland Garros. :lol:

Good job Carebear. A lot of players would have folded in this situation.

Beat
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:05 AM
sorry, but this was hardly titianic. maybe both players expected too much of themselves ... :shrug: congrats to kerber, she's a real fighter.

yeah, the crowd was really bad. not worse than at roland garros, but nearly as bad. :no:

A-Bond
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM
Ok now it's official. This the worst slam for me in years. Can't remember the last time all my faves went out before 3R. Anyway, I still have Hlavackova and Govortsova :armed:

Ahhh Venus, yet another loss to Kerber... This draw sucks.

champion88
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hopefully Venus will play the Asian swing and Brisbane/Sydney next year and can get her ranking up into Top 32 for AO.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM
thank you carebear :hearts: will venus pull a clijsters/roddick after this??
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8jgn7yGBM1rbqu2po1_500.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lymbcqlc7l1qckwxco1_500.gif

Nevertheless
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Will Venus become Kerber's bitch in this final stretch of her career?

KBlade
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:18 AM
What the actual fuck. Some-one please send Kerber packing.

And people acting like Kerber is now dominant over Venus and this win was expected? No.
Apart from one decent win on clay, Kerber has been pretty damn fortunate to get these last two wins. Both matches could have EASILY gone in either players' favour.

Talula
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
:sad::sad:

Don't give up Venus. And don't give up ON Venus. Remember she has had a serious condition and she can get better.

crazillo
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:29 AM
www.wtatennis.com
Article following Angelique Kerber's second round win against Venus Williams (US Open 2012)

NEW YORK, NY, USA - The night session on Arthur Ashe Stadium was the site of blowout after blowout all week, with the favorites - men and women - dropping an average of just one or two games per set. That all changed on Thursday night, and while the favorite still won, the challenge was anything but average.

When a World No.6 with 54 match wins on the season takes on a World No.46 with 19 match wins on the season, the going looks tough for the underdog. And early on in the match it was, as a rock solid Angelique Kerber built a 62 20 lead on Venus Williams with three points for 62 30; but it was far from over.

"Venus was fighting in the second set and played great shots in the important moments," Kerber said of the turning point. "I couldn't do anything."

Williams won that game to close to 62 21, and she would eventually win 11 of 16 games to take the second set, 7-5, and lead 4-2 in the third. The momentum seemed too strong for the former No.1 - but again, it was far from over.

"In the third she was up, and I just fought every point," Kerber said. "I had in my mind matches where I was down match ball and won, so I knew I could change it. I wasn't thinking of the time or the score, I was just trying to win points."

Kerber would eventually close Williams out in a nail-biter, 62 57 75.

"I knew this was not an easy second round," Kerber said. "She's such a great player. She has won so many Grand Slams. And I knew before the match the crowd would be behind her. But it was an unbelievable feeling to play her out there, and it's the first night match I've won here, so it's very special."

Williams has had five Top 10 wins since returning to the tour in March from a seven-month illness lay-off, but none at a Slam - but there's definitely a bright side, something the American was well aware of after the match.

"Today all I had was fight because I didn't play well. I don't feel like I put together more than two good points before I had to make two or three errors," Williams said. "I looked at the stats, and I made 60 errors. It's difficult to win like that.

"But if I could have made two more shots, I probably could have won that match. I'm beating myself. If I was out there and people were killing me, maybe it's time to hang it up. But right now I have to find the answer inside myself. The best part is that I'm playing my game, I'm playing aggressive, and I know they'll land. Unfortunately I had to pay a heavy price today - but at least the last shot I missed, I was going for the gold. I didn't get the gold, but I really went for it.

"At least I can go to sleep today and know I didn't try to push it in and hope for the best, because that's just not me."

And there was another bright side for Williams, a more personal bright side.

"There were a lot of people shouting out. This was the first time I've played here where the crowd has been behind me like that. Today I really felt American, for the first time at the US Open. I've waited my whole career to have this moment, and here it is. I hope I have that support in doubles, and next year as well."

harloo
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
I turned the match off after the first 6 games. Venus couldn't hold serve to save her life and the errors were piling on so I knew she would lose to the glorified pusher.

GoofyDuck
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:48 AM
So typical :o

Juju Nostalgique
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
LOL

Congrats Angie! :bowdown:

Slutiana
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
That was, bar none, the worst serving performance of Venus' career. Even more significant than the 16 doubles, 1 ace and sub-50% for most of the match was the fact that she could only serve big down the middle with no direction. Every time she aimed for the corners she either missed or had to take ridiculous amounts of pace off and rolled it in at like 90mph~. Never seen anything like it from her. Not even this year.

The rest of her game wasn't much better yet she still had a chance and managed to flop.

As for Kerber, I used to like her a lot but since the Errani match at Roland Garros, I've grown less and less fond of her. Her attitude is dreadful and I can't believe how badly she played.
I can't even argue for once. :lol: That's exactly how it went.

dencod16
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:52 AM
I feel sad for Kerber TBH, watching the match she was a glorified pushing, she didn't do anything in the match, she is going backwards i think. She becoming more of a pusher than an aggressive counter-puncher. I always view her as maybe a tier-2 Azarenka, but here today she was making Venus dictate how everything went. If she keeps going on like this she will be done soon as people will eventually catch up to what she is doing, ala Wozniacki.

A-Bond
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Venus :hearts

"At least I can go to sleep today and know I didn't try to push it in and hope for the best, because that's just not me."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20120830/kerber-venus-rock-arthur-ashe-stadium_2256076_2905597

But that is Kerber :lol:

Doully
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:56 AM
Kerber's groundstrokes are sooo freaking disgusting :sobbing: She's playing so well right now, so consistent. But that serve, that forehand technique...cringe worthy. :tape:

I hate this argument against players.
Did you see who Kerber was playing? Neither woman is hardly the queen of technique :hysteric:

Feel pretty awful for Vee but 60+UE against one of the best active counter-punchers on tour just isn't going to cut it.

Glad Kerber is further cementing what has been an amazing year considering her rank this time last year.

JackFrost
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM
How can people hate Venus? :sad:
How can people hate any Tennis player, who just want to do their job? Mostly it has no other reasons, than that player has beaten your favorit. As you can see in this thread and the load of bullshit from a lot of frustrated Venus-Fans.

vesanto
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:58 AM
I only saw the match until 6-2 2-1 for Kerber and all I have to say is: HOT MESS.

I think I never saw Venus rush so much. She would be all over the place from her first shot in the point. In the first set she was dreadful in pretty much all the departments: serve, forehand, volleys, smash. Oh Dear. Kerber is a nightmare for her, sometimes she reminded of Nadal, returning pretty much everything with interest.

I suppose she raised her level afterwards up to the point she could even win the whole thing but then the typical Venus has to lose her advantage in the final set. She has been broken when serving for matches on a consistent basis all the year, even agains scrubs.

Well, I admire her persistency and she still remains my favourite player but she drives me mad. How can such an experienced player with almost 2 decades-career play like a newbie at this stage? I guess she wants it badly and it completely blocks her system.

If she really wants to continue playing, she needs to play more and raise that ranking back up, at least for a seeding place in Grand Slams.

John.
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:59 AM
Venus :sad: Sucks that she had to draw one of the inform players this year when you look at some of the other sections in the bottom half.

Angie :yeah: Great shot at another SF here

A-Bond
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:05 AM

Leave Starmie alone it's was my fave Pokémon :sobbing:

Rest Maria!
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:32 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lymbcqlc7l1qckwxco1_500.gif
Why would she retire? She recently won a slam and olympic medal in doubles, reached a semi in tier 1 in singles. I think she still might have some singles titles in her and on top of that her activity is a great inspiration for people hindered by the same or similar diseases (not too mention it might help to diagnose it in many people since they are more aware of it now).

Kon.
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
I don't think I've hated a R2 slam matchup more before.
So gutted for Venus. :hug:

Good for Kerber though. I hope she reaches at least SF. :yeah:

JN
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Dammit Vee!!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/14.gif

Raiden
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:35 AM
For all those hung up on the number of UEs Venus made, surely this is not the most she ever has. IIRC she has had over 80 in some matches like the Pironkova one at the AO.Excellent point.

This is actually one of the better matches of Oldnus. She had the right mentality.

The fact that she overshot and overhit and overstepped too much is nothing new. That's inevitable part of her game. More significant is that she had the right attitude and match mentality (the kind of mentality she should have had all her career, including when facing her sister).

flareon
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkespvB0cj1qi31d7o1_500.gif

you can surf on it :p

RenaSlam.
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM

I really thought she had it once she broke for 4-2 in the third. Angie is an incredible fighter and player though.

Glad to see Venus fight hard and nearly pull it out. Proves she still has some great tennis left in her. Despite her serve and game being AWOL for the first set and a half :help:

Andy.
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:29 AM

Mine too :hearts:

aguy9797
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:18 PM
They were only doing that when Venus was down, when Venus got right on, the crowd was stale. Have you seen rude, go watch the French Open.

Oh gee... because I am 12yo and haven't heard the French excuse? Like that is supposed to give the US Open crowd permission to yell in the middle of points? there is a clear line between cheering one's favorite and Intentionally destructing an opponent in order to make her lose, and this is what was going on in NY last night. It is a pity some see this kind of behavior as "desired crowd involvement" ( bunch of ESPN clowns).

Tennis is supposed to be about what? Best player winning regardless of color and place of origin, I still hope

Doully
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:28 PM
Also inb4: GET REVENGE FOR HER RENA!!11111

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m677fn0XKf1qeuzl5.gif

claypova
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:28 PM

Mine too :hearts:

OT but ew Starmie didn't even have eyes or a gender! Eevee was the best.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llbby7uxhi1qd87hlo1_400.gif

Dodoboy.
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Venus has now lost to Kerber on clay, grass and hard :rolls::rolls: This is an ELITE group of players!

The match Vee REALLY needs her serve, it deserts her. First against Na two weeks ago, now here. Surprisingly she still managed to take both matches to three sets, which is really something :yeah:

Knocking on the door of the top 6 in my opinion is Venus. Her real ranking is anywhere between #8 - #12. She just needs to draw Errani and Stosur more :oh:

Yonexforever
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
As much as i like kerber as an athlete... She did NOTHING to win that match!. Venus handed that match to Kerber. If Venus just gets 2 or 3 first serves in per game that is a 6- 4,. 6-4 win. Soooo many balls into the net from Venus makes me think that back was sore and prevented her from reaching up and out on both serves and even her backhand.

The only thing this match taught me was that Kerber is another defensive top player who relies primarily on speed. She scrambles well and pokes the ball back into acwkward positions on the court. The few times she returned some of Venus's serves they were pooped to the baseline with no power or shanked off weirdly.

If this was your first exposure to Kerber as No 6 you probably were wondering how she got to 6, she is i hate to say a harder hitting Wozniacki, who BTW woulda beat the ish outta Kerber.
Me thinks the more talented Germans are Lisicki and Mona!

2Black
Call me whatever but I will continue to say that Kerber is not really that good. Anytime a player has 16 double faults, 60 unforced errors & you barely win :tape:

Great fight Venus even though you've never fixed your serve in 15 years :lol:

rucolo
Angelique kicked Venus out ! :D:banana:

Extremely satisfying :drool: Came back from 2-4 in 3rd set to win 7-5 :worship:

Tenis Srbija
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Oh this match :sobbing: First 10 games were just HIDEOUS!!! :facepalm:
It kinda sucks Kerber won, but in the end she was better to be honest. Vee was just all over the place.

Phil=)
Aug 31st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I can't hear the "Venus is a shade of her former self" and "Venus should retire" talk anymore :o:o:o
Fact is she has proven us many times that she's still capable of playing tennis which made her win Wimbledon several times.
Oh and btw she also has an autoimmune disease which slows her down a lot and she's till out there fighting for every point and trying to win tournaments. It's all about her LOVE for the game and as long she keeps enjoying it you should shut up and let her do what she loves the most. ;)

thrust
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/505568065.gif?key=235176&Expires=1346387199&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=qSNIa4Xve1N9v31xQaEjixJNtqIJKsgfe9uS6rg7 KM0tWUX2ZtfXmwLRpK7q~BYahsgUQw0CKm~NV77C8KNIk3uYr0 88mri759T1KHy4cnnUQEGKhg7KR4wW7RWUZ5zMiH70QyySA0-WgJFYFjR24bhBb~ibPZ3Rrq3MgzXzylg_

Venus it's time for full-time doubles.

FOR SURE! Two or three years ago Venus would have blown Kerber, who is a fine player, off the court. As ugly as this match was, it was better than watching the Republican Convention-LOL!!

Patrick345
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM
To her credit, Venus in her twilight years gave a good fight spurred on by a rousing American audience. Short of massive crowd support and Serena as her partner in doubles, unfortunately Venus probably won't capture another major title. Will she take the high road like Roddick or continue to slog out tourneys to reach the 2nd or 3rd round, only to leave as a shadow of her best self?

No she very likely won´t capture another Grand Slam singles title, but she will easily reach the top 20 in singles again, even with a limited schedule. Not much of a job for her given how crap everybody besides a dozen players performs. She will definitely be a threat and an asset to the Tour. If you didn´t enjoy the intense drama and the quality of many rallies today, you need to watch a different sport. Despite the few rough patches by Venus this was still a very good match.

People like to glorify the past and you´d swear there has never been a match with more than 10 unforced errors in the early 2000´s. Venus is simply 32 years old and her age shows in her game. That´s normal. Besides that I don´t see her stopping as long as she and Serena can collect Doubles Slams like candy on Halloween. I really think Venus will continue till Rio 2016, if her body allows it. She´ll gradually reduce her singles schedule, but staying active in Doubles.

Johnbert
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM
OMG I can't, loses against pusher must be sad :sad:
Poor Vee

for some people here in tf there are only pushers or ballbashers... :rolleyes:

just watch that backhand at 30-30 4*-5 3rd set from angie and tell me she's a pusher...

The White Whale
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:30 PM
Love this result. Was terrified when Kerber lost the second.

OoohBarracuda
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM
So happy! The first set really was awful but it did get a lot better in the second and it was really tense and great to watch. Unfortunately the crowd ruined it at times. I thought Angie should've won it in straight sets but her serve got so sloppy towards the end and Venus was hitting some great shots despite the UEs.

I never watched the final set because I was too tired and frustrated it went to a third. I really expected to Venus to win easily in the third because Angie has the mentality to give up and not care anymore if she loses a really important game, but I'm glad that never happened.

I do feel sorry for Venus because she is a lovely person and it was a shame that she hit so many UEs and DFs, but I'm really pleased Angie pulled out a win :yeah:

Jajaloo
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
WTA 2012 Most Improved :worship:

Lucemferre
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Venus didn't deserve to win. She was FUCKING HORRENDOUS. The ugliest performance of the tournament by far. All her technical flaws and one dimensional game were on display. Kerber isn't anything speical herself. Almost losing to a player who can't serve and rally isn't something to be proud of. Both should've lost.

Navratil
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:54 PM
Good fight but I'm so sad Venus is out... :(

Matt01
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Angie :hearts: :yeah:

:oh:

Venus :bigwave:

.Andrew.
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:16 PM
Absolute heartbreaker :sad: The fight and desire is there... only execution wasn't. But a huge positive that she seems to be dealing with the illness much much better. Keep fighting Vee :yeah:

Ryan
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:44 PM
People are crazy if they think Kerber didn't do anything. :eek: Against Venus, she played it the way you have to (bar poor serving) - retrieve everything, move her around, open up the forehand on the run...sure she didn't hit a lot of winners, but thats not her game. She played some HUGE backhands, and hit some clutch volleys :shrug: I thought it was a really fun match, Venus competed really well.

Jane Lane
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM

Her career has been a flop since 2009. :rolls:

tennisfan5
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:51 PM
People are crazy if they think Kerber didn't do anything. :eek: Against Venus, she played it the way you have to (bar poor serving) - retrieve everything, move her around, open up the forehand on the run...sure she didn't hit a lot of winners, but thats not her game. She played some HUGE backhands, and hit some clutch volleys :shrug: I thought it was a really fun match, Venus competed really well.

agreed. Also, you're going to be doing a ton of defending when your opponent is swinging for the fences on every shot. She hit some great angles that only venus could get back time and time gain. she did what she had to in this match. if she ever beefs up that serve (esp 2nd) she will be even tougher

Foxy
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Venus actually played ok she just gave away too many free points. Lindsey use to always say that Venus will lose games that she should win by giving away boat loads of free points.

That's all she did last night. Venus was breaking Kerber, but she couldn't get her first serves in because she was HELL BENT on trying to hit big first serves. Venus could have easily won the game had she just hit her first serves in at 110mph or less. Kerber wasn't hitting big serves, she was getting them in.

Venus abandoned her out wide serve. Everytime she used it she won those points easily. Even Pam Shriver said that's all she had to do was keep going to that outwide serve because her slice makes it impossible to get. But Venus kept trying to go for big body serves and 90% of the time they were going into the net and she had to hit weak second serves.

The other part of Venus game is okay. She covered the court well and she was getting back her shots and she was really hitting the balls hard. She hit winner after winner, but her UFE's and df's cost her the match.

Venus is going to eventually get it together and figure it out. Venus and David failed to watch and listen to how Carlos told Li to quit hitting to Kerbers back hand.

Venus hit too many balls to Kerbers back hand instead of picking on that forehand.

Venus was rattling Kerber and Kerber was starting to crumble, but what happened is that Venus is still not mentally tough to close out matches. Had Venus taken some off her first shots and gone out wide she could have ended the third set at 6-3. She was only two games away but she started trying to go for the lines instead of putting some spin on the ball so it could go in.

Venus will continue to lose until she makes up in her mind to work on her serve and her second serve, and to quit going for the lines because she doesn't have to paint the lines.

60 UFE's and Kerber barely beat Venus is a testament to how well Venus covers the court. Her problem is that she had better fix that serve and make it a weapon like it use to be. If Venus can endure and runaround the court for almost 3 hours, she can spend the time to work on her serve.

Venus also is still lacking the ability to close matches. People say she isn't mentally tough, but she is. Kerber barely beat Venus with 60 UFE's and 14 df's. Had Venus taken some off her serve and got it in, she could have won in 2 easy sets. Venus is the reason she didn't go to the 3rd round. Venus beat Venus with all those UFE's and DF's, and Kerber "gladly took them".

Fuzzylogic
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM
Lord, that was messy. Congrats to Kerber though

Venus :(

rnwerner
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
It was a very bad match.
Very disappointing.

Great atmosphere in the biggest tennis arena of the world makes it look decent. But it was a mess.
A pure mess.

This match played in front of 7 people - let's say - in WTA Istanbul (remember, i mean the outdoor tournament, not the YEC) - and everybody would say now that it was a mess.

LightWarrior
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:28 PM
www.wtatennis.com

And there was another bright side for Williams, a more personal bright side.

"There were a lot of people shouting out. This was the first time I've played here where the crowd has been behind me like that. Today I really felt American, for the first time at the US Open. I've waited my whole career to have this moment, and here it is. I hope I have that support in doubles, and next year as well."

Sweet and sad at the same time.

Roookie
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
I envy the people who didn't see this shitfest. Worst match at the USO since Chaky-Sveta 07. Ewwww.

Venus is a fighter but her form is starting to deteriorated to club-level at times. Serve bouncing before the net, lets a ball pass her by (3 feet inside the court) thinking its gonna be out. But the fact that Venus has beaten a few top ten players this year and was able to hang on to Kerber just shows the level of the top 10 players today.

Kerber is just another Wozniacki with more power. She just runs runs and runs..has no serve and no real weapons.

I wish I didn't see that match.

Doully
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Kerber is just a pusher with no weapons. Venus is GOAT for keeping up with world #6 - a pusher with no weapons.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Gainsy/ragecomic1.jpghttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Gainsy/ragecomic1.jpghttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Gainsy/ragecomic1.jpg

Make up your mind folks.

cellophane
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM
I envy the people who didn't see this shitfest. Worst match at the USO since Chaky-Sveta 07. Ewwww.

Venus is a fighter but her form is starting to deteriorated to club-level at times. Serve bouncing before the net, lets a ball pass her by (3 feet inside the court) thinking its gonna be out. But the fact that Venus has beaten a few top ten players this year and was able to hang on to Kerber just shows the level of the top 10 players today.

Kerber is just another Wozniacki with more power. She just runs runs and runs..has no serve and no real weapons.

:facepalm:

Patrick345
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:20 PM

Those are the most bizarre replies. I understand frustrations in the heat of the battle or immediately thereafter, but half a day later is really weird. :lol:

2Black
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Isn't Kerber basically Jankovic circa 2008

Doully
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:32 PM

Is there meant to be something wrong with that?

Roookie
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM

She's more like Jankovic 09 when JJ was already playing like shit but still top 10 and winning big titles like Cincy.

Roookie
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Those are the most bizarre replies. I understand frustrations in the heat of the battle or immediately thereafter, but half a day later is really weird. :lol:

Those were 2 and half hours I'll never get back :o

Mynarco
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM
She's more like Jankovic 09 when JJ was already playing like shit but still top 10 and winning big titles like Cincy.

Sorry but this is bollocks. Kerber 2012 >>>>>>> JJ 2009. Just look at their GS results.

danieln1
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:12 PM

I said at the livescore thread that this was the match where the crowd was behind Venus all the time and cheering really loud, and that this was the most loud they ever got to her.

Venus herself said this was the time they most cheered for her, and will be back next year :eek:

fluffyelloballz
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Finally an exciting night match! Venus could have won had she just cut down on her errors. She had Kerber cooked at 4-2 but then just hit too many errors. Sad for Vee and I hope we see her again in a night match at the US Open.

I wrote this about the match:

http://fluffyyellowballs.com/?p=332

Nicolás89
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:27 PM
I died several times watching this match. :tears:

Larrybidd
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:01 PM

Not true. Put it in play to Kerber's FOREHAND, and Kerber couldn't hurt her much. Kerber was smacking unbelievable backhands tho - a champion class shot. The problem for Venus was the most comfortable and safe forehand for her is cross-court (over the short part of the net) to to a lefties backhand. Kerber is not only a very good player, but a bad match-up for Venus.

Look, Venus has a high risk game. She has to hit the ball hard to take control of the points. The errors she has to worry most about (and those that cost her this match) are the errors serving. When her serve is off, and when the score demands it, she simply has to dial back on the big 1st serves. I say this because its not as if she can't do this. She serves 100-105 first serves in doubles. She's proud and stubborn, I get it and respect it. She COULD have won this despite spraying balls all over the place, being the aggressive player she has has to be. But she's gotta hold her serve, and her 16 DF's is the equivalent of 4 service games donated. Those errors can't happen. If a player's gonna break you..make them at least have to hit the ball to do it.

Larrybidd
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:09 PM

Jankovic would love to be Jankovic circa 2008.

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:26 PM
I think Kerber has to make a few adjustments to take the next step. Obviously the serve. She CAN hit is decently big but tends to pull back and put it in the box and rely on her counterpunching. Not good, that is what cost players like Jankovic and Wozniacki when they had the chance to really step it up in their careers. I do think she can produce a bit more than Wozniacki, and it is time to do so.

I agree she is amazing at redirecting pace, but when she gets no pace, she needs to at least get the balls angled/deep with height instead of just hit another reflex shot which ends up sitting up in the service box. That is kind of what was her downfall against Errani at the French, but understandable, being clay and all.

Also, she needs to avoid emotional responses when she is losing. They have not cost her on a couple of big occasions, but she needs to remember she's won more matches than anyone else, from all kinds of positions. Has to count for something.

On the subject of strategy: Venus making balls?? When has she ever done that? She even said she was proud she 'went for gold' on the last return :tape: and did not just push the ball back. Like whatever, it was an ugly ugly error, like about 59 other errors in the last 2 1/2 hours. One's gotta learn sometime. If she'd won the match by pushing a few balls back when she had Kerber on the ropes, everyone would have praised her for her mental endurance and smartness in recognizing the moment. Now she is commiserated with because she lost a match the same way she has lost a zillion other matches in her career, because 'she made errors'.

bobbynorwich
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:55 PM
Venus said in her Kerber post match press conference that tonight was the first time at the US Open that she felt like an American, meaning having the crowd behind her. I remember other appearances at the USO where she had great support. Here's a youtube clip of the 2001 final vs. her sister in which the crowd went absolutely wild. What is she thinking?

N3yk7Vyt1UM