PDA

View Full Version : USO R2: Sloane Stephens d. [Q]Tatjana Malek 57 64 62

Pump-it-UP
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I cannot. :facepalm: Please step it up vs Ivanovic.

Sloane had 5-3* in the 1st set, got moonballed to death when she served for it at *5-4, then totally fell apart after a controversial overrule at 5-5. Malek hit a serve that was called a fault, the umpire overruled and said "replay the point", Malek started arguing that it was an ace, the umpire changed her mind and decided to give Malek the ace, then Sloane started arguing with the umpire for 10 seconds and then said "well whatever, can I just challenge?" and the umpire refused to let her challenge. :help: Hawkeye later showed that it was a fault and the umpire was wrong to overrule. :o

That 16 minute game at *2-3 in the 2nd set was huge. Malek had 4 BP's for 7-5 4-2 and Sloane finally loosened up afterwards.

Regrouped nicely in the 3rd set though apart from that game where she gifted Malek the break with 3 DF's. :o

RobsonOS
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2q034fo.jpg

jrm
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:10 PM
yikes, almost losing to mediocre ITF player

Petkorazzi
23 winners from Malek :eek:

DaMatz
Malek had 5 BP in that long game :help:, normally Stephens is the much better player, for sure, but because of the error-festival of Sloane she had the chance to win :sad:

Congrats Sloane :)

crazillo
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Haven't seen Malek for like three years and although she has improved a little bit, her backhand is still a hot mess: :help: She should hit through her forehand a lot more cuz it is not that bad actually.

Absolutely horrendous errors from Stephens though, esapcially up at the net.

edificio
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sloane was a mess, but at least she pulled out a win.

Matej
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
The first two sets were a horrible "comedy of errors" by Stephens, who seemed to have no idea whatsoever how to construct points against such players as Malek. ;)

SilverSlam
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM
shit. fest. 100 UE :help:

RenaSlam.
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Sloane was terrible. Chrissie is right - her mental side hasn't caught up to all her talent and physical gifts. This is a great win though, she really battled.

Now shit on VIP like its the USO '08.

Ryu
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
So many mistakes from Sloane. She was not prepared to face a counter-puncher like Malek, and it really showed.

But on the other side, it was a good match because she persevered. She struggled mightily, but she had the mental ability to win (with help from Malek's even worse play).

She'll do better against Ivanovic and her average serve, I think.

danieln1
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Ivanovic next

Smitten
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Stephens has a lot of work to do. Ivanovic is going to dismantle her.

Patrick345
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Stephens has a lot of work to do. Ivanovic is going to dismantle her.

That´s a total different match. I learned that with Ana nothing is guaranteed,like when she played well in Wimbledon and then almost got double bagelled against Vika. There is no tennis reason Ivanovic shouldn´t be in the quarterfinal, but she´ll find a way to screw it up. :tape:

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
This was pretty hilarious. I have never seen Malek play, so I don't know if that peculiar sort of junk is her natural game, but it was giving Stephens fits. The slices were usually high and non-biting, moonballs had no topspin really. Tactics which work superbly on rec courts and I had no idea would make so much headway on the pro circuit :haha:

Stephens also has no idea what sort of player she wants to be. She seems to prefer rallying to going for shots, when she makes ludicrous errors, even if her forehand really is quite a big shot.

By the way, does she use a special racket or strings? Every shot she hits sounds like a cannonball. I read somewhere that her racket is not used on the WTA tour.

bushido brown
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM
http://realfunfood.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/aintevenmad.jpg

Svetlana)))
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:14 PM
This was pretty hilarious. I have never seen Malek play, so I don't know if that peculiar sort of junk is her natural game, but it was giving Stephens fits. The slices were usually high and non-biting, moonballs had no topspin really. Tactics which work superbly on rec courts and I had no idea would make so much headway on the pro circuit :haha:

Stephens also has no idea what sort of player she wants to be. She seems to prefer rallying to going for shots, when she makes ludicrous errors, even if her forehand really is quite a big shot.

By the way, does she use a special racket or strings? Every shot she hits sounds like a cannonball. I read somewhere that her racket is not used on the WTA tour.

She has great fluid technique. I saw her live this year and the pace she got off her fh was astounding. Anyhow, come on Sloane, you had your chances last year against VIP.

Dodoboy.
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Sloane did well to tough it out and get the win. Malek was tricky, Sloane wasn't ready to think.

Malek can do so much on court, she has so many different ways to win a point, refreshing to watch!

JN
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Oh. She came back! :woohoo:

Ntosake
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Congratz Sloane, just play better next round.

Jimmy Dragoon
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:54 PM
According to the US Open's event statistics Sloane leads in terms of fastest serve speed with a 138 mile per hour serve. That can't be right. That would be a world record.

sxeraserhead
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I was really impressed with Sloane despite the match being messy quality overall. She displayed a lot of versatility and showed flashes of excellence in most everything - defense, inside-out FH, serve, slices, angles, net game.

iPatty
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Malek is and has always been a complete hack. Pick up your game Sloane. :o

miffedmax
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:20 AM
http://rosenotes.typepad.com/.a/6a010535bf3807970c0134852e07fc970c-800wi

Sloane.

JustPetko
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:20 AM
Malek is not that pusher as I thought :eek:

Dexter
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:56 AM
Close one, but it's good to see a superior player coming through. :)
I never noticed that Malek could hit her FH that hard. :eek:

Beat
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:22 AM
stephens was just terrible - especially her serve was exceptionally weak -, malek was junkballing way too much, and these two players made a combined 100 UE's ... but for some reason it was a strangely entertaining match. :lol:

i'm afraid sloane will have to hope for ivanovic to implode. which is definitely possible, of course.

Nevertheless
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:28 AM
Yeah she ain't beating Ivanovic.

Sombrerero loco
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:33 AM
sloane :bowdown: better player won

A-Bond
Aug 31st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Worst.match.ever. Malek is just hilarious! Her forehand is actually not that bad but she just keeps slicing and moonballing and she doesn't have a backhand. Can someone please make an unforced-errors-highlight-wheel of this match! That would be fun :D

Juju Nostalgique
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Slo' :rocker: