PDA

View Full Version : What was the most expensive thing you've ever bought?

rrfnpump
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I am just wondering.

For me, it was a around-the-world-flight (Frankfurt-London-San Francisco-Las Vegas-Hawaii-Seoul-Tokyo-Frankfurt). :o

Emiel Goelen
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:51 PM
My apartment.

Beat
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:51 PM
my music equipment. okay, it's not one thing, but anyway.

Wigglytuff
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
It's all relative, we bought a car for $19,000 that's very nice.

But I also bought of set of mugs for $130 each mug. So the car yes, but I think the mugs would be the thing I would say is the most expensive.

miffedmax
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
A house.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Does it have to be something I paid for solely on my own?

If so, the it would be my amazing condo. Of course, I still have 14 years more to go before it'll fully be mine, but yeah, my condo.

RenaSlam.
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:20 PM
A car.

Remix13
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM
A car.

ivanban
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Question should be more specific, excluding cars and houses :shrug:

Wigglytuff
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Question should be more specific, excluding cars and houses :shrug:

i was thinking that too. i mean i could say my condo, but we are selling soon so.... plus for most people it would be

college education
car
home

Olórin
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Round the world holiday. Material things: I paid £350 for a book.

My parents paid for my education so guess I can't say that :lol:

matthias
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:13 PM
my own house

saint2
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Never bought anything expensive. I have an apartament, but my parents bought it for me, when I was a teen. Don't have a car. Even my bike and by PC, I got as a bithday gifts (in fact my PC is from...2004 or something like that).

Besides that, the most expensive things I bought are:

- collection of music CDs
- ticket for disturbing public peace
- some train trip to a concert (+party)

I never took credit. And never will. Would be good if other people would follow. IMO if someone takes a credit to buy a car is dumb, irresponsible, and I won't cry for him, if hes going to end up jobless and homeless one day.

Sammo
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM
With my own money? The XBOX 360 :lol:

Wigglytuff
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Never bought anything expensive. I have an apartament, but my parents bought it for me, when I was a teen. Don't have a car. Even my bike and by PC, I got as a bithday gifts (in fact my PC is from...2004 or something like that).

Besides that, the most expensive things I bought are:

- collection of music CDs
- ticket for disturbing public peace
- some train trip to a concert (+party)

I never took credit. And never will. Would be good if other people would follow. IMO if someone takes a credit to buy a car is dumb, irresponsible, and I won't cry for him, if hes going to end up jobless and homeless one day.

it seems really harsh, someone could just as easily say:

maybe not everyone depends on their parents to buy them an apartment, so they might to borrow to get a car because you know they want to take responsibility for them selves and not have mummy and daddy buy their home. :rolleyes:

Sally Struthers
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Besides house and car, my Rolex. :drool:

Oh, I bought a piano too. I don't know if that counts but it cost as much as the car.

ranfurly
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM
800 Pine Tree Saplings at $5 each from a Nursery to make a Shelter Belt, apart from that which was a personal expense, any other purchase has generally been a business expense.

ranfurly
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM

That's a naive comment mate, best you get a few clues

follow your direction? it's about choices people make which gets them into a financial situation, not the concept of credit, which is actually a genius term.

I brought a car on finance and had no issues paying it of because I had an income to afford it and knew what I could afford, and whilst I paid interest, it was more affordable for me to make payments at the time. Wise Personal decision right there.

Not only that, It contributes towards a good credit rating, which means If I ever needed a loan, or a mortgage or whatever finance I need, it looks favourable.

Our family business relies on credit accounts for our suppliers, distributors, just as much as alot of our customers have accounts with us on 30/60/90 day terms, some are great at paying, some not so great

If you have the capital, then all is good and well, however the average person doesn't and requires credit and financing to make purchases and to an extent, operate a business, so at the end of the day, it's the decisions of those people, not the concept.

miffedmax
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Okay, if we're not counting houses, my son's degree. (Even with help from the gummint, scholarships and his grandparents).

pierce85
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:31 AM
A trip to New York where I spent 6000 euros on shopping, mostly clothes

edificio
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:34 AM
Moving furniture across the country, more than once. College and graduate school. It is all so damned expensive.

As for some, what is that baseball metaphor? He was born on third base, but he thinks he hit a triple.

Yeah, not all of us have parents to buy us houses and cars, and we might have to actually use credit to get ahead.

Not everyone who gets credit fails to pay or harms the general run of society. Also, in general compassion for others is a good thing.

Lin Lin
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:37 AM
Wahat a question:lol:

Steadyniacki
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:56 AM
It's all relative, we bought a car for $19,000 that's very nice.

But I also bought of set of mugs for $130 each mug. So the car yes, but I think the mugs would be the thing I would say is the most expensive.

:spit:

My university education is my biggest ever expense, should be around 30,000 dollars.

cellophane
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:10 AM
Nikon D800

McPie
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:16 AM
Ana RG2009 dress :oh:

ranfurly
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM

I thought you were a Post Op Thai gogo boy? surley the nip and tuck is more expensive?

duhcity
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:06 AM
TF Lifetime Membership
It cost me my soul.

Andy.
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:19 AM
My apartment and a car.

rrfnpump
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
My apartment and a car.

Are you still single? :hearts: :lol:

Beat
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:31 AM

:haha:

Miss Amor
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
I bought a house last week

Lin Lin
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:46 AM
:lol:

Expat
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:58 AM
20K gold jewellery for my sister besides house if that's being excluded.

Cassius
Aug 31st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Top 3 in order:
1. my old flat.
2. my car.
3. my laptop.

(that's not counting holidays, obviously)

Mashabator
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM
will be a car when i get one soon :)

McPie
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:39 AM
I thought you were a Post Op Thai gogo boy? surley the nip and tuck is more expensive?

what do you mean? :scratch:

McPie
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:39 AM
:haha:

what can I say, it's the truth :spit: because all other Ana dress are cheaper than that one :lol:

Dani12
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:39 PM
My nespresso machine...

Which is sad now that I think of it.

Certinfy
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
My motorcycle probably.

Doubt anything else I've ever bought even comes close to that in price.

Probably will change soon as I'm looking to buy a house though.

Javi.
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM
My own flat.
Other than car or house, one Hamilton watch

The Crow
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:16 PM

That's easy to say when your parents paid for your flat :lol: But I agree on almost everything else (maybe a car could be an exception also).

Mine: also my flat obviously (on credit :p), I renovated my living room recently; that was expensive too (well for my standards), cd-collection (which will be oblivious soon :sad: ), ipod (well I thought it was rather expensive at the time ;))

saint2
Aug 31st, 2012, 11:25 PM
That's easy to say when your parents paid for your flat But I agree on almost everything else (maybe a car could be an exception also).

Well, to piss you guys even more, I may also say that my parents paid for my private school, wich was total waste of money- as I never graduated any college, and never had any degree :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway as for cars, putting yourself into debt for a luxury good is not smart ;)

Mary Cherry.
Sep 1st, 2012, 12:07 AM
Does a holiday count? (paid for flight & hotel together) If so, that. I went to Toronto. It was lovely.

edificio
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:16 AM
Well, to piss you guys even more, I may also say that my parents paid for my private school, wich was total waste of money- as I never graduated any college, and never had any degree :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway as for cars, putting yourself into debt for a luxury good is not smart ;)

Why would this piss us off? It's your life, bought and paid for by your parents.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:29 AM
A Condo in Florida

Wigglytuff
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:45 AM

Why am I not shocked that you are uneducated. It's a shame your parents didn't pay for any manners or empathy training.

Wigglytuff
Sep 1st, 2012, 01:48 AM
Why would this piss us off? It's your life, bought and paid for by your parents.

:worship: well said.

saint2
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM

Im working since I was 17 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And the most valuable lesson from my parents was to not put yourself in debt for a luxury (and useless) good. And to enjoy small, and not expensive things.

Wigglytuff
Sep 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM

And the most valuable lesson from my parents was to not put yourself in debt for a luxury (and useless) good. And to enjoy small, and not expensive things.

It's a shame they didn't teach you empathy and how to pay for your own life. :lol:

Super Dave
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
My house :yawn:

moby
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM

A car is not a luxury good in most of the US. It's a necessity.

The Crow
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM

:worship:

ce
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
This years part of vacation :oh:

johny1
Sep 4th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hey There
I am john. I also bought a car & it is expensive Thing for me. I save money for past 3 years & now i bought it with my own money.

Javi.
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
A car is not a luxury good in most of the US. It's a necessity.

This. And not only in the States.
Also, Saint, I respect your opinion but we don't need your life lessons. Some people work very hard to be able to buy a car or a house, and as some poster said, loan is not a problem when given to someone who can really pay it (I mean, has savings and enough fixed income).

Credit has made the world progress throughout the times.