PDA

View Full Version : So which women's match will be in the Stadium Friday night?

BillFromRichmond
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:59 AM
There are some interesting matches set Friday for the third round. Four would seem to be possible choices for the night match in the Stadium:

Sharapova vs Burdette: ESPN loves Sharapova and she's usually in a feature match in their televised tournaments. She 's playing an American which is a draw but will they put her out there two matches in a row in the night match?

Stosur vs Lepchenko: If not the Maria match, this makes the most sense. The defending champ against a nationalized American who is moving up fast in the rankings, trains in NY and has family and friends not far away in NE Pennsylvania.

Li Na vs Robson: Biggest earner in the game off the court, won her last tune up and made the finals before that, a Grand Slam champ, against the player everyone knows the name of right now for beating Kim C.

Azarenka vs Zheng: This is a stretch, but Azarenka is # 1, playing another seed, and has been sort of shoved to the side in the scheduling of her first two matches.

What do you think?

KournikovaFan91
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM
One of the first 2 matches only.

Personally think the Stosur/Lepchenko match should get it.

@danieln1
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Azarenka vs Zheng First or Third on Ashe, Day Session

Stosur vs Lepchenko First or Third on Ashe, Day Session.

Li vs Robson on Louis Armstrong

Sharapova on Ashe, Second Match at Night

arthurussell
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Sharapova got two night matches in a row in 2010 IIRC against Groth and some czech. I believe she'll get another one since she's playing her annual 3rd round against a teenager on Ashe.

NashaMasha
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Stosur vs Lepchenko will be at Night Session (most probably)

sweetadri06
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I think Stosur vs Lepchencko will be the night match, she has a shot to beat Sam. Vika and Maria 1st/3rd on Ash. Na Li/Robson goes to Armstrong.

Vincey!
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I think Sharpova/burdette will be late afternoon match on AA and Lepchenko/Stosur will be night match

the 2 others will be on armstrong

cellophane
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Stosur vs lepchenko

fluffyelloballz
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Li vs Robson for best potential. Robson is playing huge and Ni la is on form. Could be a real barnburner. But with the crappy matches they are picking , probably gonna be Stosur (no offence but she is gonna thump Lepchenko) or Sharapova (night sessions goers really wanna see a 50 minute beatdown again....snooze...)

iGOAT
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Definitely Stosur-Lepchenko, as they're trying to make Lepchenko a story and Shanksur is defending champion so they want to show her respect with a night match at some point.

V-MAC
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Hopefully Stosur/lepchenko....be good for Venus to have her EleVen range showcased by another player in a night match on AA:D

@danieln1
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM
We´re all wrong :lol:

They put the current number 1 finally at night on Ashe

Stosur first, Sharapova third on Ashe, Na on Louis Arsmtrong, Petra on Grandstand for a change.

Williams Sisters will be the feature Doubles Match on Louis Armstrong

PhilePhile
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Stosur first, Sharapova third on Ashe, Na on Louis Arsmtrong, Petra on Grandstand for a change.

The Victoria Azarenka vs. Jie Zheng match can get real interesting. Jie may feast on Azarenka's balls. Pam is expecting a possible upset here.

akosijepoy
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Stosur-Varvara first on Ashe makes sense as it will be primetime in Australia

BillFromRichmond
Aug 31st, 2012, 04:07 AM

i just saw the schedule.

The "stretch" did turn out to be true. I think they decided they had to put Vika as #1 on at night. Really surprised though that the Stosur match is so early, but I'm thinking ESPN wanted Maria on as late as they could since she's not the late match and yes, it will juice the ratings in Australia.

Shivank17
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Sharapova got two night matches in a row in 2010 IIRC against Groth and some czech. I believe she'll get another one since she's playing her annual 3rd round against a teenager on Ashe.

Against Jarka it was a day match which started very late cause of the previous match.

Her only night match during USO 2010 was against Benesova R2.

BillFromRichmond
Sep 1st, 2012, 02:28 AM
The Victoria Azarenka vs. Jie Zheng match can get real interesting. Jie may feast on Azarenka's balls. Pam is expecting a possible upset here.

Wow was that prediction off.

I thought the US did not allow public executions.:)

Azarenka had never played a night match there and it was prime time in China so this plus Stosur's Australia prime time coinciding with an early match explains the scheduling.

PhilePhile
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:52 AM
Wow was that prediction off.

I thought the US did not allow public executions.:)

Azarenka had never played a night match there and it was prime time in China so this plus Stosur's Australia prime time coinciding with an early match explains the scheduling.

Indeed,very puzzling! Jie is quick to the ball because she anticipates/reads her opponents. And when she does get to the ball, she usually return it with some interests. Except for a couple of moments, Jie was literally Vic's sparring partner this Friday night.

China time is 12 hours ahead of EST. I guess you can say both Li and Jie's match were watchable ... live in China.