PDA

View Full Version : USO R2: Laura Robson ends Kim Clijsters career with a 7-6 7-6 win

Pages : 1 [2]

Rolling-Thunder
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Laura played very well. I am very impressed with her game. I loved seeing a left-hand female player.

Too bad Kimmie lost. I thought she would come back and take the second set.

dsanders06
This. So much.

So wait a minute, you go on a rampage banning members when people have the audacity to celebrate Venus losing, yet you commend someone who does the same thing to a player you don't like? :haha:

TF's management remains a joke.

fluffyelloballz
Absolutely brilliant and sad at the same time. Kind of glad to be feeling this shock. It's why i watch sport and tennis in particular. I wrote an article on the match if anyone is interested.

http://fluffyyellowballs.com/?p=302

DeucesAreWild
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Nicely done Laura. :hatoff:

TheDream
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:54 AM
So wait a minute, you go on a rampage banning members when people have the audacity to celebrate Venus losing, yet you commend someone who does the same thing to a player you don't like? :haha:

TF's management remains a joke.

I agree with the last part of this considering you're still around. :lol:

dsanders06
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Reading comprehension is not your strong point honey :hug: I am not part of TF's management.

I just made a post in another thread, why haven't you replied to it yet? :confused: You're falling behind on your stalking duties.

TheDream
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:03 AM

Reading comprehension is not your strong point honey :hug: I am not part of TF's management.

I just made a post in another thread, why haven't you replied to it yet? :confused: You're falling behind on your stalking duties.

You're the one with reading comprehension issues. My post was pretty straightforward and made sense.

KeysisGOAT
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM

He's agreeing with you that it's a joke because you haven't been banned.

Pie800
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:22 AM
He's agreeing with you that it's a joke because you haven't been banned.

If that was indeed the intent, it was phrased very badly.

TheDream
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:29 AM

That was the intent and it couldn't have been phrased too badly considering someone understood what I meant right away. Try to keep up. :wavey:

Inger67
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM

It really wasn't, made perfect sense :lol:

SELVEN
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Laura actually played a match of her life, she deserves the win. Kim, this is the LAST time I post a post at your score thread, goodbye I won't forget the best tennis memories you gave to me. Good luck to your retired life.

Pops Maellard
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Almost forgot to congratulate Laura. She is a lovely ballstriker :yeah:.

KarlyM*
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Kim :hatoff:

SM
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:37 AM
i wouldnt give this win too much weight....laura always had a chance with the lack of tennis kim had this year

SM
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:44 AM
bye Kim and good luck in doubles

V-MAC
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Kim, enjoy your post-tennis life. I will never forgive you for breaking my heart in that US Open 2010 semi-final:p
Now you deserve to party and celebrate your achievements
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg137/scaled.php?server=137&filename=2673332ftehm4zy.gif&xsize=640&ysize=480

cellophane
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:53 AM
It really wasn't, made perfect sense :lol:

It was worded badly.

Melange
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Goodbye Clijster. Tennis has lost its best player

TheDream
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:01 AM
It was worded badly.

Stop trolling. Don't take it out in me that Kim got beat today.

Anyway, congrats Laura. :bounce: In my haste I forgot the point of the thread!

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:05 AM
The brief snatches of this match I caught were when Kim was leading 5-2 and playing superb. Robson must have stepped it up because the stats look pretty good.

I cannot lie... I have criticized Kim a lot since she won the 2009 USO, mostly for winning so much while hardly playing (and... crucify me, but I was gutted Justine could not do the same) but I was rooting for her to win here, as improbable as it would have been. PIty it had to end this way, but I prefer that with her inactivity she ends up going out in such an unassuming fashion (compared to 2007).

I think I will remember her 2009 run always, it was really special.

harloo
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Kim has nothing to be ashamed about in this match. l couldn't believe how Laura was playing. You would have thought she was a top ten player.smh

wayitis
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Wow :eek: Really didn't think Laura had a chance given her form lately. Still don't think she'll get through Li though.

Kim :awww: :hug:

Li has an asset that Kim does not, though: Carlos... watch how the guy will misconstruct Laura's game and make (or try to make) Li play to Laura's weaker side... I expect to see Li hitting lots of shots to Laura's backhand, stick her to that side and then hit to the open court... if Li can make it a backhand battle, she will have the upperhand...

hankqq
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I certainly didn't expect Robson to finish Clijsters off, but she did well :yeah: Personally I was hoping Li would do the job...Cljsters definitely didn't play great, but then again it has to be hard to concetrate knowing this was her last event. She had a great career :shrug:

Michalka
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Kim :bigcry:

mickymouse
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I like Kim, but I also think it's fitting that she goes out early considering her lack of commitment.

Let.them.talk
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Unexpected!

Kimmy :)

bobito
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Firstly, all the best to Kim Clijsters in her retirement. She's always been an exciting player to watch and one of the most engaging personalities on the tour. A real asset to the game, she'll be missed.

About Laura's performance I have no words, only smilies

:worship::banana::bounce::bigclap::aparty::cheer: :cheer: :cheer::yippee::bigclap::aparty::bounce::worship:

thegreendestiny
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Laura defeated Kim in Flushing Meadows did what Venus and Serena could not do in the past 8 years or so. :speakles:

PhilePhile
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Li has an asset that Kim does not, though: Carlos... watch how the guy will misconstruct Laura's game and make (or try to make) Li play to Laura's weaker side... I expect to see Li hitting lots of shots to Laura's backhand, stick her to that side and then hit to the open court... if Li can make it a backhand battle, she will have the upperhand...

Laura's backhand strikes looked fine to me today (2nd set) :lol:.

wayitis
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Laura's backhand strikes looked fine to me today (2nd set) :lol:.

they are fine within the context that no top player can survive nowadays with a non-existant basic shot, but her forehand was the shot hurting Kim, the backhand was more of a neutral shot to keep the rallies going...

Linda R
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM
What a match! Laura stepped it up a notch in this match. Hope, her career is as successful as Kim's.
Saf to see Kim retire, but it's probably time.

Maddox
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:14 AM
What a pity, Kim you were one of a kind. I hope she enjoys motherhood and all

everythingtaboo
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Devastated. Now what? :awww: :sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I'm honestly gutted. But right up till the end Kim showed her class which means more to most of her fans than the number of slams she won. :) A true 1 of a kind...

You'll be missed Kimmy :hug:

tennisfan146
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Sad to see her career end that way. I've never been a fan of her, but at least a QF result would have been nice for her.

stromatolite
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Wasn't Kim's best match by a long shot, but this is not the time to dwell on that. The end of a great player's career, even her critics should be a little sad about that. All the best to Kim in whatever she chooses to do from now on. And congrats to Laura: she played a great match:yeah:

claypova
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
yesss Laura :yeah:

Libertango
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Best win for a Brit since Sam Smith beat Martinez?

Very happy that we might actually have a potentially legitimate top player. This was just one match though; we need to see how she follows it up.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM
This is one of the saddest days for me as a tennis fan. I can't believe that Kim's gone and I won't be ever able to watch her matches again :sad:
Thanks for everything, I love you and I will miss you :sobbing:

Petkovic
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:46 AM
What a match! Laura stepped it up a notch in this match. Hope, her career is as successful as Kim's.
Saf to see Kim retire, but it's probably time.

Agree with this!

Material World
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Fantastic stuff Laura - finally demonstrating you can meet your potential. Sad to see Kim go as she has been a great player and so glad she came back for Part 2 of her career. All the very best to her. :hearts:

Now Laura, if you play like that against Na Na I guarantee she will implode. Go Laura!!!!!!

Embittered
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:09 AM
if Li can make it a backhand battle, she will have the upperhand...It'll be a strange match, all on the one side of the court.;)

Just Do It
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:10 AM
yesss Laura :yeah:

:spit:

Hapsara
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Adios Kim :sad:

You'll be missed

burn
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Congrats Laura :)
Kim :hug:

Dan_Doe
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I wanted Kim to win, but I frankly prefered Laura rather than Na Li to end Kimmie's career.

kitb
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Sad as it gets to see Kim go... Especially this early in the tournament. But she gave it her all. Props to Robson who came up with some at times very inspired tennis...

Kim will be missed like no other, that's for sure.
But I'm so endlessly grateful for all the good memories she's brought us over the last decade or so.
Thank you Kim.

And one last time: COME OOOOON! :)

bandabou
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM
all the best Kimmy! Thanks for the memories...:yeah:

Laura?! I don't know what the future holds..but players who are not afraid of hitting and CAN hit that forehand you hit to set up mp, tend to go on and have pretty good careers.

John.
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM
All the best in your new life away from tennis Kim - You will be missed.

Great performance from Laura and a well desrved win

Juju Nostalgique
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:42 AM
http://oi40.tinypic.com/kecexc.jpg

+1

Won't be missed here!!! :bigwave:

Thank you Laura! :hearts:

paul_masterton
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Best win for a Brit since Sam Smith beat Martinez?

Very happy that we might actually have a potentially legitimate top player. This was just one match though; we need to see how she follows it up.

No I don't think so. I think bally's wins over Coetzer at Wimbledon and Li in Indian Wells are better.

But I think Laura will start picking up top 10 scalps soon.

RobinT83
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Fantastic career, Kim :yeah:

Fantasy Hero
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Wish her a great time and good luck in her new life :yeah:

But honestly I won't miss her and I think her come back was just bad for WTA when she decided to be a part-time player and for sure I won't miss the saint Kim hype on this board.

Beat
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
even though it would have been nice for kim to have a great last season, and especially a great last USO, i think it's kind of fitting she should lose to one of the youngsters, as if she was passing the torch.

thanks for everthing, kim :hatoff:

jj74
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Great win for Laura. I hope this is the begining of a great career, wtat need new stars (by the way atp needs new faces too).

I never was a fan of Kim, she is a great player, but right now is only a part time player with lack of commitment so i think this is good for tennis

Royals.
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
So unbelievable proud of her right now, i think next could be great year for her. I think if she works hard she could win a WTA title. :)

Kworb
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Decent match. Kim couldn't keep the ball in play. A shadow of her former self. Definitely time for her to retire. Wish Na would've been her last match though.

Robson played like the top 100 player that she is, nothing more, nothing less.

Royals.
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Decent match. Kim couldn't keep the ball in play. A shadow of her former self. Definitely time for her to retire. Wish Na would've been her last match though.

You may say that... but she played a LOT better than a couple of Top 50 players imo. ;)

M.S.F
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM
+1

Won't be missed here!!! :bigwave:

Thank you Laura! :hearts:

Are you still thinking about Justine or what?
At least Kim is respected and liked by so many people unlike the cheater.

pierce85
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Are you still thinking about Justine or what?
At least Kim is respected and liked by so many people unlike the cheater.

And unlike the thug you have as a favourite

Petersmiler
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Really? But she only had 5 more UE's than her opponent. I don't think you were watching the same match as me.

barmaid
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
All the best in your new life away from tennis Kim - You will be missed.

Great performance from Laura and a well desrved win

Yes, I certainly echo all of what the commentators said in assessing Kim's career and her personality, one of the best loved players to ever hold a racquet, she will be missed but the time is right her game just so-so and Laura's performance was a break-through for her as she journey's on.
Thanks Kim,:worship::hearts::kiss:

Barmaid:wavey:

flareon
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Now I know the result I am rewatching it and can really appreciate lauras ground strokes. Kim got tight on big points...

laurie
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Didn't see the match but this is great news for British tennis. If Laura can beat Li next....

Pie800
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:15 PM
That was the intent and it couldn't have been phrased too badly considering someone understood what I meant right away. Try to keep up. :wavey:

If that's honestly what you think then clearly language isn't your strong suite. :wavey:

Pie800
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Finally, good riddance.

She´s a great person off court and a 4 time slam champ, we have to give credit where it´s due. Hopefully she´ll have a happy life after tennis, if she doesnt end up playing in Melbourne :rolleyes:

Anyway, Laura showed the tour doesn´t allow anymore part-timers bullshitting her way to slam titles like she used to do in 09-11. Now it´s more serious stuff, and she didn´t crumble emotionally like many did with Kimberly. :worship:

I responded to a similar post by you in the other thread, but it got closed, go figure.
Do you realize how contradictory and ridiculous this statement is? "we have to give credit where it's due" followed by "bullshitting her way to slam titles like she used to do in 09-11." It's only the best when haters and trolls make utter idiots of themselves without us even having to say anything. But I had to point that out, couldn't help myself, because I've just about had enough of the vitriol you spray in these forums where Kim is concerned. It's beyond me why you actually think it worth your time, but all I can do is laugh at that. On the up side, your incohesive criticisms make for some form of entertainment at least. :wavey:

Tenis Srbija
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Shit. Losing to Robson 6 and 6 on a half empty stadium :sobbing:

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Good for Laura! :bigclap:

Bye, Kim. :wavey:

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Actually though, for Kimmie's exception athleticism she'll miss me personally ; these ridiculous defenses she pulled in the tie-break in full extension really makes realize that there isn't going to be much of this in the coming years especially with players like Robson taking over -- I often argued pre-2009 with Debby on the french forums how she was an over-hyped player but actually from 2009 I actually kind of watched her with different eye though she was a part-timer.

Clijsters might regret IMO, she could have done much better in the 'weaker era' of the WTA when Wozniacki, Zvonareva et al. was the only competition she had. I think she could have won a major outside HCs.

:lol: just cracked up over this. You mean you are retiring too?

rnwerner
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
That was the best tennis we saw 2012 from a player younger than 21.
HUGE!

I doubt she can repeat that level of play soon.

Navratil
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM
At least you don't have to worry about Kims bad draw (Li in R3 und Stosur in R4) anymore ;)

TheDream
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
And unlike the thug you have as a favourite

Wow. :rolleyes: Comments like this are just outrageous but have become the norm on this board unfortunately.

RenaSlam.
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Gonna miss you, Kim. Always class, always a pleasure to watch.

A well deserved HOF career comes to an end. May you enjoy your life outside of tennis.

fouc
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
there was no retirement ceremony?

Marionated
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I will miss you Kim, all the best :hug:

Laura :banana: I have never seen her defend that well, and that forehand to set up the match point :eek: too bad about her section of the draw though :sad:

Match really deserved better, sad to see so many empty seats in the crowd :o

cn ireland
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Great performance by Laura but I didn't expect this to be Kim's last match:(!

Thank you Kim, you will be missed:hug:

Halepsova
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Kim :rolleyes:
What a useless player you can be. Lose to a mug like Flopson. :facepalm:
I guess you gotta live with this nightmare forever.

Talula
Aug 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Shit. Losing to Robson 6 and 6 on a half empty stadium :sobbing:

:lol: as someone once said, all careers end in failure!

Apologies to Kim's fans, but I'm with those who can't be bothered with deliberate part-timers. It's a waste of talent and a rare blessing.

Dan_Doe
Aug 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM
Kim :rolleyes:
What a useless player you can be. Lose to a mug like Flopson. :facepalm:
I guess you gotta live with this nightmare forever.

Imagine how bad it could've been if she'd have lost to someone like Babos :tape:

Betty
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
there was no retirement ceremony?Ther was a party in de evening, with a lot of ex players. So told her trainer on tv.:cool:

Betty
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Who is babos?