PDA

View Full Version : The Dumb Stuff ESPN Commentators say

TPlaya8
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:43 AM
So tonight Brad Gilbert comes up with the geat idea of having No-Ad Scoring in Grand Slam Matches for Men. So their matches could no longer last 5 hours and cut donw to about 3 for a 5 set match. SMH

Then Chris Fowler says lets have a mercy rule. SMH Like some people haven't played a bad first set or more and then come back and win a match.

Also Cliff Drysdale (the one who comes up with the most stupid comments) says that evewr since Wozniacki has gotten with her boyfriend he has won majors and she hasn't won a tournament.

Then all this makes me remember the dumb discussions they all had one year at Wimbledon about a shot clock to count between points.

Craig.
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Yes, yes, yes.

Fowler in particular annoyed the shit outta me with the "mercy rule" crap.

Stonerpova
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:48 AM
In before Chrissie is mentioned.

saul1333
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Gilbert and Dumb dont go together.

wildemu
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:50 AM
The solution is not to put djojovic vs. lorenzi as your primetime matchup when you know it's going to be a slaughter.

Melange
Aug 29th, 2012, 02:54 AM
So tonight Brad Gilbert comes up with the geat idea of having No-Ad Scoring in Grand Slam Matches for Men. So their matches could no longer last 5 hours and cut donw to about 3 for a 5 set match. SMH

Also Cliff Drysdale (the one who comes up with the most stupid comments) says that evewr since Wozniacki has gotten with her boyfriend he has won majors and she hasn't won a tournament.

Then all this makes me remember the dumb discussions they all had one year at Wimbledon about a shot clock to count between points.

AGREE with all. Keep the best of 5 but cut down the marathon matches. No-Ad Scoring could come in for fourth and final set. Stop Nadal and Djoke winning majors by attrition

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I can't believe #shitchrissiesays isn't trending. Every sentence out of her mouth should be tweeted

kris719
Aug 29th, 2012, 03:55 AM
he must have been kidding with the mercy rule.

espn crew says stupid stuff all the time, but i actually like cliff drysdale.

perseus2006
Aug 29th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Best of Three through the forth round and Best of Five for Quarters on! That would be the best, imo.

That would be the best Mercy Rule ever; mercy to the fans, that is.

TPlaya8
Aug 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
No then I just remember that time at Wimbledon a few years back where John McEnroe said they should come up with a rule that you coukldn't catch your toss after starting your service motio. Talking about "It would put more emphasis on the toss"

I was just thinking you would not have wanted that rule while you played. SMH

tennisfan5
Aug 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
The solution is not to put djojovic vs. lorenzi as your primetime matchup when you know it's going to be a slaughter.

exactly, what a joke. I had night session tickets last night, and went to Court 17 to avoid the 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1 slaughters on Ashe.

SerenaSlam
Aug 29th, 2012, 01:33 PM
These people do not have educations. Take that into consideration like i do

Shooter
Aug 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
AGREE with all. Keep the best of 5 but cut down the marathon matches. No-Ad Scoring could come in for fourth and final set. Stop Nadal and Djoke winning majors by attrition

Disagree - Best of 5 is ridiculous. No ONE wants to watch a match that long - live or on TV. Do away with Best of 5 matches. All matches, men and women, should be 2 out of 3 sets with tie-breakers, except in the 3rd set. Let serves should be played.

miffedmax
Aug 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Heard today: "Two great athletes here--even Flipkens." :facepalm:

darrinbaker00
Aug 29th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Disagree - Best of 5 is ridiculous. No ONE wants to watch a match that long - live or on TV. Do away with Best of 5 matches. All matches, men and women, should be 2 out of 3 sets with tie-breakers, except in the 3rd set. Let serves should be played.

I, for one, rather enjoy five-set matches. As Boris Becker famously said, it's not about tennis; it's about heart.

AcesHigh
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Best of Three through the forth round and Best of Five for Quarters on! That would be the best, imo.

What??? Do you watch men's tennis? The best matches are often the five setters before the quarters.

NashaMasha
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:20 PM
If they cancel Ad-scoring i will stop watching tennis , because the best part of tennis matches are games on Adv/Deuce

wildemu
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM
exactly, what a joke. I had night session tickets last night, and went to Court 17 to avoid the 6-1, 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1 slaughters on Ashe.

Sounds like a person like me who hogs all the goodness on the grounds. God, I love 2r day passes.

this topic wouldn't of even been brought up if those matches weren't in the spotlight. I mean, I understand the scheduler because arthur ashe people usually just want to see the names, but it's not good for the promotion of the sport when shit players like coco and lorenzi are given critical primetime advertising.

NeKo
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
The british comentators are better all the way. Not only in tennis, but also in gymnastics, athletics etc.

miffedmax
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I, for one, rather enjoy five-set matches. As Boris Becker famously said, it's not about tennis; it's about heart.

Agree. What I don't enjoy--useless interviews, profiles that run while matches are taking place, in-studio discussions of events that will have no bearing on the later rounds and all the other crap ESPN chooses to show instead of tennis--men's and women's.

lefty24
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Completely agree.

What, there can't be heart in best of 3 matches?

Stonerpova
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
What??? Do you watch men's tennis? The best matches are often the five setters before the quarters.

I agree. But then again if that rule was in play John Isner might actually be watchable.

Craig.
Aug 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I agree. But then again if that rule was in play John Isner might actually be watchable.

:spit: This.

Ryan
Aug 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Are you even a tennis fan? :weirdo: Best of 3 > No-Ad scoring. No-Ad is a joke, even for WTT.

Fuzzylogic
Aug 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I had to :spit: at the mercy rule, what an asinine suggestion

KournikovaFan91
Aug 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM

:tape:

Yeah right, more like slug-fests, I've seen enough ATP 5 setters by journeymen to realize everyone's time is being wasted while we wait for some no-hoper to get through the R128.

I personally think the first 3 rounds of the mens should just be 3 setters.

Wimbledon should also seriously abolish 5 set mens doubles, not a soul wants to watch that. :o

AcesHigh
Aug 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
:tape:

Yeah right, more like slug-fests, I've seen enough ATP 5 setters by journeymen to realize everyone's time is being wasted while we wait for some no-hoper to get through the R128.

I personally think the first 3 rounds of the mens should just be 3 setters.

Wimbledon should also seriously abolish 5 set mens doubles, not a soul wants to watch that. :o

Everyone's time is being wasted? Everyone that doesn't like watching ACTUAL tennis.

And obviously people disagree with you b/c those 5 setters that last into the night or into the afternoon are the ones with PACKED stands and raucous crowds. It's actually the best part about the slams.

Melange
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:39 AM
The british comentators are better all the way. Not only in tennis, but also in gymnastics, athletics etc.

The best commentator at the gymnastics was an american Shannon Miller :drool:

Brad[le]y.
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Evert at RG this year: Stosur's BHDTL is her signature shot.

Mynarco
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:52 AM
If they cancel Ad-scoring i will stop watching tennis , because the best part of tennis matches are games on Adv/Deuce

This.

Craig.
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM

Sharapova used to hit 30 DFs a match :inlove:

Brad[le]y.
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Sharapova used to hit 30 DFs a match :inlove:

:hearts:

She also called Tatishvili a big hitter yesterday :lol:

hellas719
Aug 30th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hannah Storm said on Tuesday that out of the 36 Americans, they had gone 12-18 so far so over two thirds of them were eliminated....since when does 18/36=over 2/3 :hysteric:

And then all day they kept saying Sharapova was playing a Spanish lefty :help:. LDL is not a lefty :lol:

Towanda
Aug 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM

My favorite dumb Chrissie moment from this USO was during the tuesday day session when she spent 15 minutes babbling about how the Olympics is different from the other slams because during the Olympics, the players are emotional and they socialize with each other. No Chrissie, the way that the Olympics is different from the other slams is that the Olympics is not a slam!

dencod16
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM
My favorite dumb Chrissie moment from this USO was during the tuesday day session when she spent 15 minutes babbling about how the Olympics is different from the other slams because during the Olympics, the players are emotional and they socialize with each other. No Chrissie, the way that the Olympics is different from the other slams is that the Olympics is not a slam!

LOL at you, many consider olympics as the fifth slam, as for players it's importance is as good as slams, maybe not for viewers or for their tennis resume but the importance to them is the same. And she is right on point that Olympics is a better atmosphere for players than any other slams. Your comment just makes you sound like your reading what it is written as it is and what the message actually is.

tripler
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
No way is an Olympic gold equivalent to a slam. Give any player the choice, they'd always take the slam. I don't know why tennis is even in the Olympics. Or football.

Pureracket
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:34 PM
In before Chrissie is mentioned.You beat me to it. There is no way a thread like this should be made without Chrissie being in the OP.

Towanda
Aug 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM
LOL at you, many consider olympics as the fifth slam, as for players it's importance is as good as slams, maybe not for viewers or for their tennis resume but the importance to them is the same. And she is right on point that Olympics is a better atmosphere for players than any other slams. Your comment just makes you sound like your reading what it is written as it is and what the message actually is.

chill out. Yes, I am aware that the Olympics is considered by some as a fifth slam, but the fact is that it is not a slam. If she had said that it is considered a slam, I wouldn't have had any issue with her saying that, but she said it is different from the OTHER slams. Using the word OTHER does not in any way imply that she thinks it can be considered it a slam, but rather that it IS a slam.

The olympics might be a better atmosphere than any other tournamnent, but neither that, nor whether or not anyone considers it a slam means that she is any less an idiot for babbling about it for an extended period of time.

Now, why don't you go track down some other Chrissie-is-a-babbling-idiot posts so you defend precious little Chrissie, but please try to work on your reading comprehension while you're at it.

And please, if you're going to respond again, please translate the sentence "Your comment just makes you sound like your reading what it is written as it is and what the message actually is" for me. I don't speak Chrissie-babble.

Mightymirza
Aug 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I like this suggestion though.. Mens matches are :zzz:

2Black
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
No men's matches are VERY popular these days & every time I'm at a slam, I go to more men's matches than women. You see better quality tennis. With that said, I agree that Isner's matches are the worse. He has zero personality and his game is equally as boring.

Shooter
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM
No way is an Olympic gold equivalent to a slam. Give any player the choice, they'd always take the slam. I don't know why tennis is even in the Olympics. Or football. Agree totally. Tennis should not be in the Olympics.

Shooter
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:13 PM
We have gotten off the topic of commentators, which is what this thread is supposedly about. Gotta agree with other posters who say the ESPN commentators are pretty bad. In general, British commentators are much better. Does Taylor Dent work for ESPN or The Tennis Channel? He's the exception. He's the best commentator I've heard at the USO this year. Where's Jimmy Arias? Someone should be using him. He's very good too.

njtennis12
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:06 AM
Chrissie Evert with another winner, about Venus's serve: "If she's missing so many in the net, she needs to aim higher."

Petkorazzi
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:14 AM
:hearts:

She also called Tatishvili a big hitter yesterday :lol:
There is nothing wrong about this quote. :lol: Chrissie practically made Anna a tennis player so she knows what she's talking about regarding her.

Brad[le]y.
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:24 AM
There is nothing wrong about this quote. :lol: Chrissie practically made Anna a tennis player so she knows what she's talking about regarding her.

Pardon my arrogance . Ive actually only seen her play against Barty and she was on the defense a lot. Sorry :sobbing:

pov
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:22 AM
He may be correct there. And if he isn't he's not far off the mark.

Si_Hi
Aug 31st, 2012, 05:49 AM
Eurosports commentators were playing guessing who are the top5 German players game for almost fifteen minutes during federer-phau match.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

ACEof DIAMONDS
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:06 AM
Fowler shouldn't be in this thread much if he is. He's as solid as they come. I use ESPN3 a lot their announcers are actually an upgrade IMO most of the time. There are some LOL quotes from there too though.

Chrissie is the truly only unbearable one and says dumb shit after dumb shit. I literally want to break things and shove a screwdriver in my ear when her voice starts spewing through my television.

perseus2006
Aug 31st, 2012, 07:36 AM

Not at Majors due to the Best of Five format:

Most early round matches are three straight uninteresting sets. The third sets mostly dire displays of pathetic tennis. Just taking up time and space and delaying the schedule.

Some premium players do not appear to have prepared for their matches at all. Why put in the effort? They can just show up and play their way in and win in three or four sets, maybe five if the lesser player surprises the better one. In Best of Three, they would come prepared and the tennis would be better.

Four set matches are the absolute worst! One guy inevitably is going to win, but gives his buddy a set to brag about, so it seems to me.

Five set matches between #95 and #73 may be interesting to you but not to me. The tennis quality is low although the match may be intense between two evenly matched players. In any case it is exceptionally rare that an early five set match has any bearing on a Tournament. Just a couple of journeymen having a hit!

To me, early round Best of Five set matches are too long for too little entertainment value. Everybody has an opinion, I've held mine since the early 2000's.