PDA

View Full Version : When did you start watching Maria's matches?

Gergo
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM
When?

**mashafierce**
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
The first tennis match I watched and liked was Hantuchova vs Venus Eastbourne 2011 and then I watched Wimby 2011 and was routing for Maria

humanabstract
Aug 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM
The first tennis match I watched was epic semifinal between Safin and Federer @ AO 2005 if i'm not mistaken.
The first Maria's match I watched was replay of YEC 2004 final :oh:
I wasn't Maria's fan and watched her matches from time to time. Actually I started following Maria's career closely after her comeback in 2009.

Tennisvampire
Aug 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I think I first heard for her at USO 2006. I was watching the ending of that tournament because JJ played against Henin in the semis (and of course lost after a nice lead :o). And then I just wanted a cute, sympathetic girl from Russia to win it, because I wanted JJ's loss avenged :lol: And that's kind of the beginning of me as a Maria fan. I watched her very irregularly though up until RG 2011 I would say :eek: I consider myself a huge fan, and since the first time I saw Maria I always liked her and rooted for her, so it seems almost surreal to me that I actually started watching her in a I-don't-miss-a-single-match fashion that recently...

Joelina
Aug 24th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Wimbledon 2005 - RG 2006 then i stopped watching tennis and some of Maria´s matches, i wasn´t a fan of her

from AO 2008 till now, i am following Maria´s career and i became a huge fan also ;)

Effy
Aug 24th, 2012, 03:43 PM
from 2003

swissmr
Aug 24th, 2012, 05:46 PM
This first match of Maria's (and first ever tennis match!) I watched was against Srebotnik at Wimbledon 2005, and I'e been hooked ever since! :hearts:

madmax
Aug 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I believe I first watched her when she lost (choked) that RG 2008 match to Safina...:facepalm:
That, and her subsequent loss to peasant Kudryavtseva too I guess

masha122
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
i first watched maria in 2004 during the wimbly match ; then i didn't watch a lot of her matches but i starded following every single tournament she palyed since 2008

Emina.
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM
2003 :)

Maria Croft
Aug 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM
The first match I saw from her was against Dokic, Wimbledon 2003.
It's gonna be 10 years come Wimbledon next year :)

Kitten63
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I first heard about her at RG 2004 and the first time I watched her play was in the early rounds of Wimbledon 2004.

zigga
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Final of Wimbledon 2004 was the first match I saw from her and I immediately became a fan:) But I wasn't really a fan of tenis till 2007, so I didn't really follow her that closely until 2007. Since 2007 I try watch as many matches of her as I can.
When she was out with a shoulder injury it was horrible for me. I was following her for a bit more than a year and then 10 months of no matches from Maria :sobbing:

Charlatan
Aug 25th, 2012, 01:05 AM
The first match that I probably saw from her is wimbledon 04 QF against Sugiyama. I didn't know much about her back then and tennis in general. Became a fan in 2005 :)

NashaMasha
Aug 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Australia Open 2004 , i was watching her match vs maybe Myskina , and our constant Eurosport commentator Boris Borovsky told during the match something like " look at this girl, she is probably a next Kournikova with a great future and will be very popular very soon"

it was about a halfyear before Wimbledon 2004 )))

cautiouslip
Aug 25th, 2012, 03:17 AM
First time I saw Masha was in 05, I caught the end of her QF against Kuznetsova but I wasn't really a fan. From then on I would basically catch a few glimpses here and there at the aus open as this was the only time I watched tennis. I don't think there was a defining moment where I became a fan, but I gradually was closet stanning for her throughout the years as my family really hates her. I only started following tennis intensively this year but I'd say I've been a fan since 07.

Yksi
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Wimbledon 2004! :)

Stonerpova
Aug 26th, 2012, 11:07 PM
The 2008 Australian Open final. I rooted for Maria because she was hotter, but by the end of the match I was a fan. I loved her intensity and her strokes were beautiful. I started watching her week in, week out after Roland Garros that year. I caught up on most of her older matches while she was out from shoulder surgery.

istase2000
Aug 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM
AO2008
VS Henin:drool:

dsanders06
Aug 27th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Was only a typical British tennis-fan-for-Wimbledon-fortnight-only when I was young, so '04 Wimbledon was the first time. Heard vaguely about how some hot 17-year-old who screams had made it through to the final, but naturally assumed the final was going to be just a coronation for Serena. Then on that Saturday, I remember my mum watching the final and getting very excited (my Serena hate is genetic it seems :oh: ), and so I came in and watched the 2nd set. Just remember being blown away by how ice-cool she was under pressure, and also her game was a little similar to Agassi's (or so it seemed to me as someone who only watched Wimbledon) who was the only player I stanned for at that time.

Then I would root for her the next couple of Wimbledon, and remember being more upset than I'd ever been about tennis at that stage when she lost to Mauresmo in the semis in '06. Then I remember seeing in the papers that she'd won the USO, and being more happy than it felt I should be for someone I only took a passing interest in once a year :tears: Then after Wimbledon in 2007 I became a HUGE fan of tennis and started watching everything religiously, of course including Maria's matches, and.....yeah, by '08, I'd already reached the skipping-classes level of devotion so that I could watch the legendary AO08 QF :drool:

Writing this post has made me realise: I've never actually witnessed her doing well at a US Open first-hand :o That had better be corrected this year.

heelsrule1988
Aug 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Noticed her when she won Wimbledon and thought she was cute, but I didn't really start to hardcore get into her matches until 2007. Now, she's like one of my sports teams. :)

Reptilia
Aug 27th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I Remember she made the 6o'clock news here during the 2004 AO for "Looking like Kournikova and sounding like seles" :o that's when I first heard of her... Remember watching Wimbledon highlights that year but I never saw the final. AO 2005 was when I fell in love. I still remember the Kuznetsova and Serena matches vividly.

AniaSharapova
Aug 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
The first whole Maria's match I watched was this epic battle against Henin in Madrid 2007.
I became Maria's fan during AO 2008. I remember I had winter break in the same time and could watch whole tournament. I was following every single Maria's matches and fell in love with her.

Adal
Aug 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
2005 Miami Final was the first match I've ever watched and started supporting her since then. Crazy to think I was only 12 back then :sobbing:

Jamrock,20
Aug 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I started to really pay attention to Maria when she played Ivanovic in the Australian Open final and from then I have really admired her and she is now my favourite tennis player and most likely always will be.I went to the Sony Ericsson Open twice and saw Maria practice and play some matches there. Believe me she is quite the specimen to see in reality. If you think she is beautiful on TV then seeing her in real life is so much more amazing. She is very regal and serious about her practice but she also has the ability to draw you in and it makes you wish time would just stand still. When I was at another practice court you just had to hear that trademark grunt and people started saying Sharapova was practicing near by (quite funny). At that point almost everyone would clear out to go and see her. I remember the first event I saw her practicing and she looked straight at me when signing autographs and all I saw were these amazing and expressive green eyes even from a few feet away. I finally got her autograph (twice this year) and it was so emotional for me that I cried right after. When you finally see her she is everything you imagined and so much more. She might not always put on a show or smile constantly just to please the crowd but she gives us what she can as an athlete and a human being. For that you can't help but to respect her at the very least. Maria really appreciates her fans and her true fans know how to respect her as well.

I hope to see her again someday and will always wish her the best :)

claypova
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM
vaguely remember that AO 05 match against Serena. Started watching/following her matches from 2006!

Trih
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I had some "break" (even big ones, sadly) but I remember her sf and f in Wimbledon 2004 as it was just yesterday :hearts:

Trih
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Writing this post has made me realise: I've never actually witnessed her doing well at a US Open first-hand :o That had better be corrected this year.

I realized it's the same for me ... :o
I knew she was playing the final in 2006 but I didn't watch any other matches, and I couldn't see the match because I was working and I had to sleep, so I planned to see the replay the day after, but I spoilered the result opening my pc when coming back from work. :lol: So I was happy and that was it, didn't want to see the final knowing the result. :lol:

Andy.
Aug 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I became a fan at Charleston 2003. At that time my fave was Mary Pierce. She was struggling with a lot of injuries and looked like retirement was close. I was looking for a player to replace her when she retired. I saw a pick of Maria in the Charleston photo gallery and though she fits my quoto....tall, blonde, pretty. I did some research and thought I'm going to see where this girl goes. I followed her pretty closely after that. I became a dedicated fan and new she was the one after her first round match at Wimbledon. It was the first time I saw her play and I just loved her game. I was hooked.

Eigenvalue
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:34 PM
When?

When I found the "mute" button on the remote...:cool:

$uricate
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM
2003 versus Harkleroad.

Angelpova
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
2012, after Roland-Garros :oh:

Rerun
Sep 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
early 2004 :)

jameshazza
Sep 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Really wish I had been around for 05/06. At least I was a stan for the AO. I miss that play on HC but clay will do for now. :drool: