PDA

View Full Version : MaKiri in New York - US Open 2012!

misH@
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Maria is 14th seed, but she has a tricky draw.

Kirielnko-Scheepers
Szavay-Arn
Voskoboeva-Rus
Hlavackova-Zakopalova

Peng-Vesnina
Makarova-Q
Lucic-Martinez Sanchez
Vanderweghe-S Williams

Maria is defending last 16 where sho lost to Stosur last year!
DAVAI MaKiri!

Remix13
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
She has chances to defend her R4 points, too bad reaching QF is impossible considering her most likely opponent...

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
oh please, not yet another williams! :bigcry:

NYKiriFan
Aug 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I like that she could get to avenge the French loss to Zakopalova.

I'm excited to see what she can do against Serena. It would be a much tougher match for Serena than most would expect.

18majors
Aug 25th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I like that she could get to avenge the French loss to Zakopalova.

I'm excited to see what she can do against Serena. It would be a much tougher match for Serena than most would expect.

Unlike Sharapova, Makiri matches well against Serena and always plays Serena very tough.

NYKiriFan
Aug 25th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Unlike Sharapova, Makiri matches well against Serena and always plays Serena very tough.

This.

I'm annoyed that despite Kiri's success since middle of last year - the Wimby quarters, the Olympic semis, this New Haven final - so many writers are calling this a cakewalk quarter for Serena. Kiri took a set off Serena at Stanford last time they played, when was the last time Sharapova came close to taking a set off Serena? Everyone seems just completely blind to the fact that Serena matches up well with the other top players on the tour, but players like Kiri & Zheng consistently give her more trouble. It's not just a matter of her randomly struggling against these players.

A few writers, Garber at ESPN & Nguyen at SI.com have given Kiri at least a little respect. The worst I read was the ESPNW draw analysis, which thinks a Sharapova-Williams final would be great prime time theater (uh, no) and thinks Coco is the toughest player in Serena's quarter because she had set points against her at Stanford this year (as if Kiri didn't actually take her to 3 last time they played, as I said). Of course tennis coverage will always be skewed by jingoism, and also most Americans seem to love the ball-bashers over the grinders in women's tennis.

Anyway, at the end of the day she needs to win on a big stage to get the respect she deserves. The QF win over Kvitova was huge but it was relegated to court 2 and ignored, and she couldn't come through to win a medal, and she couldn't quite finish against Aga at Wimbledon, and couldn't follow up that showstopping tiebreak against Stosur at last year's US Open, and neither of these matches were promoted ex-ante (though one tennisreporters.com poll ranked Stosur-Kirilenko the best match of 2011). I like how she's played over the last year+summer, and I think it'll come to her eventually.

the cat
Aug 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
oh please, not yet another williams! :bigcry:Willliams? Kiri has a tough first round match against Scheepers. Very tough opener for Kiri.

peterlein
Aug 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Willliams? Kiri has a tough first round match against Scheepers. Very tough opener for Kiri.

well, this was my first reaction when I checked her draw :shrug:

williams/williams at wimbledon (x2), venus at cincy...now probably serena :o
but of course, you are right! the way to R4 is long and hard, maria needs to be fully concentrated, she has tough opponents in her quarter...tricky draw

NYKiriFan
Aug 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, this 1R match had better get a court show court 11/13/17 at least on Tuesday. Scheepers is 40 and moving up to 35. How many other 1R matches are there between top 40 players? The combined ranking of the two players - 47 - has to be the lowest of any 1R match, correct me if I'm wrong.

NYKiriFan
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM
The Williams sisters & Kiri/Petrova could meet in the Round of 16, just like Kiri & Serena in the singles. Sigh, that's the second slam in a row they've been unlucky with the Williams sisters and the draw.

The Olympic & Wimbledon meetings were all great matches. Moving off grass naturally negates' the Williams' serve advantage to some degree, but at the same time, Venus has been steadily coming back into form this summer. If any team can beat them, it's Kiri & Petrova. This is a 3R doubles match that should be on Louis Armstrong, and certainly Court 2.

peterlein
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:20 PM
The Williams sisters & Kiri/Petrova could meet in the Round of 16, just like Kiri & Serena in the singles. Sigh, that's the second slam in a row they've been unlucky with the Williams sisters and the draw.

The Olympic & Wimbledon meetings were all great matches. Moving off grass naturally negates' the Williams' serve advantage to some degree, but at the same time, Venus has been steadily coming back into form this summer. If any team can beat them, it's Kiri & Petrova. This is a 3R doubles match that should be on Louis Armstrong, and certainly Court 2.

somehow, that was to expect :lol:
at least they didn't meet in the olympics QF, like errani/vinci did, so the medal chances were not ruined

when will the williams sisters finally get a seed? :help:
they won wimbledon and the olympics, and they're still unseeded, ridiculous

well, as you said, if someone beats them, then kiri/nadia

Remix13
Aug 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I didn't know the doubles draw was released, and I read here they'll meet the Brothers again :facepalm: :sobbing:

Anyway let's beat Scheepers first, which is not easy.

King Aaron
Aug 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
All the best for the first round Masha. :yeah:
One match at a time. ;)

peterlein
Aug 27th, 2012, 10:34 PM
maria vs. scheepers is scheduled as last match on court 11, which is a showcourt :)

beginning is at 11:00 AM (local time), (17:00 PM, CET)

Court 11
11:00 AM
Men's Singles - 1st Round

Santiago Giraldo (COL)
vs.
Milos Raonic (CAN)[15]

Women's Singles - 1st Round

Vania King (USA)
vs.
Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)

Men's Singles - 1st Round

Julien Benneteau (FRA)[31]
vs.
Olivier Rochus (BEL)

Women's Singles - 1st Round

Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[14]
vs.
Chanelle Scheepers (RSA)

maria and scheepers are tied up in ther H2H: 2-2

they met three times last year, kiri won at the FO, but scheepers won both of the matches on hardcourt :rolleyes:
kiri lost a tough three-setter at the semis of guangzhou, where the umpire made some terrible calls against her :help:

let's take revenge maria, DAVAI :cheer:

Kirilenko_Kamp
Aug 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Lions and Tigers and Scheep!?! OH MY!!!:eek: Lions and Tigers and Scheep!?! OH MY!!!:eek: Lions and Tigers and Scheep!?! OH MY!!!:eek: Just ignore me... I've got alcohol in my system right now...(hiccup):spit:

Nina.
Aug 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Good luck Kiri :cheer: hope she gets off to a good start here

the cat
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Makiri won 2 and 1. Easier than I thought it would be. Nice win for Maria. But too many DF's (5) and UE's (19) for such an easy win.

Celeborn
Aug 29th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Yes, she did it! 6:2, 6:1 against a potentially tricky player. I didn't have a working stream though, so I can't comment on the match. But I'm happy that looking at the livescore wasn't too hard, as things went pretty smoothly. She only had some problems to close the first set out, she led already 5:0.

Good night ;)

Remix13
Aug 29th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I didn't watch the match (too late), but it seems Kiri destroyed Scheepers, that's a good thing :)

Let's continue this road to R4 :lol:

Who's next ?

peterlein
Aug 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Yesssss, nice scoreline against an opponent she usually was struggling with in the past! Well done kiri :yeah:

too bad I couldn't watch it because I had to go up very early...it's all raonic's fault :-D

Next is greta arn, should be doable ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VerticalSports.Com App

MK Ultra
Aug 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Kiri first up on Armstrong. Huge.

peterlein
Aug 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Kiri first up on Armstrong. Huge.

she finally is getting the attention she deserves :angel:

the match will start at 11:00 AM local time, 17:00 PM CET

it's the first meeting between kiri and arn...

Greta Arn isn't having her best season, she reached the SF at Monterrey, R3 at the Australian Open, R2 at Stuttgart...that's it...
she currently is ranked 121 in the world

..maria is the clear favorite, let's do this kiri!! DAVAI :cheer:

Remix13
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:39 AM
On a big court and at 17h, great :D

Maria should win easily in theory.

Slampova
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hopefully a nice easy match against Arn today :drool:

the cat
Aug 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hopefully a nice easy match against Arn today :drool:
It was an easy match for Kiri today. She should win her third round match as well. Then comes...:eek: :scared:

On a side note Kiri looked really good in teal today after wearing that white Adidas dress for so long. ;) Speaking of looking good Kiri's third round opponent is the lovely Andrea Hlavackova. ;) Maria must win this match.

Remix13
Aug 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Indeed I'm impatient to see Kiri versus Hlavackova, they're both so lovely :hearts:

And I think Maria should beat Andrea quite easily, before facing the one we musn't pronounce the name :rolleyes:

peterlein
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Yihaaaaaaaaaaa, next win in straights for kiri!! :yeah:

the scoreline was good, but maria wasn't that impressive as it seems, she was struggling with her serve a bit, especially in the first set. She played quite defensive, and didn't go for winners that much as usual. Obviously she didn't go at her limits, waiting for errors from her opponent. Well, you can't play brilliant in every match ;)
All in all a solid win, well done Maria :bounce:

and next is andrea hlavackova, what a lovely matchup :hearts:

with a solid performance, kiri should win that too, so she had successfully defended her R4 points from last year! I guess that's all we can ask for, considering her most likely R4 opponent :sad:

King Aaron
Aug 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM
:yeah: Well done. Get to R4 please. :kiss:

peterlein
Aug 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM
and maria also won her doubles match! :) 6-0 and 6-3 against keothavong/tatishvili :yeah:

NYKiriFan
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM
Kiri is on Grandstand today, last time she was here was the thrilling Stosur match. :)

The organizers were wise to put this one on the USTA's most intimate court.

peterlein
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Kiri is on Grandstand today, last time she was here was the thrilling Stosur match. :)

The organizers were wise to put this one on the USTA's most intimate court.

oh yeah, back to the historic place :worship:

maria and andi play the 2nd match, after Almagro vs. Sock which starts at 11 AM local time

it's the first meeting between kiri and hlavackova

Andi is no. 82 in the current ranking. She is in good form, she recently reached R3 at Cincy! Earlier this year she also was in R3 at Birmingham and reached R2 at Wimbledon, Madrid and Charleston..

all the best Maria, you can do it, DAVAI :cheer:

peterlein
Sep 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Maria takes the first set from 4-5* down! 7-5!! great fight!! win it in two!! :cheer:

the cat
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:15 PM
Kiri is having a very tough time with Andrea today. Maria was lucky to win the first set and is down a break in the second set.

the cat
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hlavackova is serving at 4 - 3 in the second set. Makiri can't seem to shake her. :(

peterlein
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hlavackova just won the 2nd set by 6-4

the cat
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hlavackova won the second set 6 - 4. Andrea was serving at 3 - 2 love - 40 and 5 - 4 love - 30 amd Maria buthered reutnr of serves to lose both key games. She is standing way too deep for Andrea's second serve.

Maria serves first to start the third set and she needs to make it count this time. Kiri also served first the first 2 sets. Kiri's return of serve is terrible against Hlavackova today. :mad: Especially her second serve return. Much like it was against Radwanksa at Wimbledon. That cost Kiri a semifinal appearance at Wimbledon this year.

Watching this match online it looks like Andrea is the more impressive player. it would be a shame if Kiri didn't make the second week of the Open. She has alot at stake in this third set and she has alot of pressure to win this set and match while Hlavackova can swing freely. I sure with Kiri was playing Galina instead of Andrea. ;)

the cat
Sep 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
I wonder if Kiri is struggling phsyically today.

On a side note Maria has gone to the headband to start the third set. :yeah:

the cat
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Maria is really struggling and it appears that her left knee is bothering her again. She has that band around it like she used to a couple years ago. Hlavackova is serving at 3 - 2 in the final set. Kiri can't seem to break Andrea today.

MK Ultra
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM
She's not moving. :sad:

peterlein
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
kiri lost

Celeborn
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM
What's wrong with her? Have not seen her play so weak since ages, since beginning of 2011 maybe. Played totally without her first serve. I'm so angry right now to be honest.

It was almost like how bad can I play and still win. Well, that level was too low :(

Kirilenko_Kamp
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:58 PM
No words can express my disappointment in this result.:( Makiri's two-handed backhand at deuce before match point in the 3rd set.:facepalm: I bet Makiri wished she could have had that shot back.

the cat
Sep 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
First off I hope Maria's left knee is okay and she can get some rest so she can have a good rest of 2012 in singles. The opportunity is there for her to make the top 10 this year for the first time in her career. But she needs to have a big tournament this fall or no top 10 this year for Makiri.

Today's match was about Maria's return of serve and how terrible it was. :eek: :mad: Kiri's first serve was also bad. She barely served over 50% when her normal first serve % is in the 60's. That hurt Maria too. But let's face it Hlavackova played well and she won the match by having almost twice as many winners as Maria did. Andrea went for her shots much more than Maria did. Andrea had 45 winners to Kiri's 23. What happened to the Maria from Wimbledon who had over 50 winners in her QF loss to Aga Radwanska? :confused: :scratch:

It really hurts Kiri not having a sold professional coach in matches like these. :( Kiri's losses at the French open and U.S. Open this year were so dissapointing. But that's Maria. She has highs and lows in her game. Kiri is talented and fragile and those are some of her appealing qualities. But she needs to get her first serve % back into the 60's on a regular basis and she must improve her return of service game if she is to ever make the top 10 and a grand slam semifinal. And there was no way with the way Kiri has been serving and returning serve that she would have been able to beat Serena in the next round. But the experience of playing Williams on Arthur Ashe Stadium Court would have been a great experience for Maria.

Celeborn
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
I'm super disappointes right now. But I think we shouldn't be too negative. It is still a very good year, she can finish in the top 15. If you look at the race 12 is probably the best possible position. Hopefully she will recover and have a good asian swing to finish this year.

But still, this loss should never have happend :(. Even in the end, if she makes it somehow to 5:5 I can see her squeezing it out. But no :(

NYKiriFan
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM
I'm horribly disappointed. I expected better this US Open. I hope she rests up, and I can see better in Asia.

MK Ultra
Sep 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM
She's playing doubles now and she's walking in between shots. No split step, no nothing, it's obvious she's injured. I wouldn't read too much into it, guys. She could've done it if her opponent wasn't playing so well, but in the end all Hlavackova had to do was put the ball away from Kiri, which she almost failed to do.

the cat
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:54 AM
She's playing doubles now and she's walking in between shots. No split step, no nothing, it's obvious she's injured. I wouldn't read too much into it, guys. She could've done it if her opponent wasn't playing so well, but in the end all Hlavackova had to do was put the ball away from Kiri, which she almost failed to do.Such a shame Kiri has knee woes again as she is close to making the top 10 for the first time. But Hlavackova played this match with a sore hip. Maria has had to rush into the hardcourt season after the Olympics and maybe it has caught up with Maria. I hope this knee problem is temporary and that she is better soon because if Kiri can't run well she can't win. I mean she gets overpowered quite often when she's healthy and running well. She needs her wheels to be healthy to win.

No doubt I thought of Hlavackova has a great doubles player and just another singles player. She sort of proved me wrong today. The thing I don't get if Kiri is healthy or not why can't she break serve and take advantage of her opponents second serves? Today Andrea served second serves almost as slow as Sara Errani does and Kiri did not take advantage just like she didn't take advantage of Aga Radwanska's creampuff second serves at Wimbledon. :rolleyes:

Kiri's play on her last break point of the match and then the sitter at the left side of the court near the net that she put back on Andrea's racquet at deuce was one of the worst clutch shots Makiir has ever hit. She gave match point right to Andrea. Unreal. Kiri's shot selection is still often dubious. But maybe that's because she has alot of variety and alot of shots.

Sometimes Kiri is just going to get beaten up in matches against powerful players like Sharapova, Kvitova and both Williams sisters. But Hlavackova too? She's thinner than Maria is. But she hits the ball flatter. Today Andrea had almost twice as many winners as Maria did and that surprised me. Is Kiri a counter pucn player or an offenseive player? Or both? I think she's both but she played the counter puncher today. To be a counter puncher against an elite power player is one thing and it's understandable. But I want to see her play offensively too. And for the rest of the season i want Maria to play cleaner tennis like she did at Wimbledon and the London Olympics. If the Olympic match against powerhouse petra kvitova Makiri only made 1 UE in 22 games. That was amazing. But that Kiri is gone now. I just hope the old Kiri isn't back.

It would be sad if Kiri didn't make the top 10 this year. We'll see what happens. One thing is for sure she must improve her return of serve. Maria may always be up and down. She's had some nice ups this year. But we always want more and this up and down player may be what Maria always is.

Time to end this sad day and loss for Makiri on an up note. Fans were treated to 2 beauties today in the Kirilenko / Hlavackova match. Exciting match too. And in the fourth round Ivanovic plays Pironkova. The fans will enjoy that match too. ;)

peterlein
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
This loss ruined my evening, I even couldn't sleep well...at the end, it's always the same story
At least they won their doubles. But next up are the Williams, so we all now what will happen.
Let us just bring to the Asian tour, I hope her knee will be ok then

Remix13
Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
I didn't see the last set, so I had still hope watching the results this morning, but Maria was hopeless in fact :help:

From what I saw, she played so badly... Hlavackova is cute and all, she even hit some winners, but she should not be a threat to a focused Kiri :facepalm:

Some say she's maybe injured as she didn't move well, I hope no. It was hot yesterday, maybe Maria was overheating ? Maybe it was a fixed match ? Maybe Kiri is unable to handle pressure ? Maybe she found Miss Chipmunk so cute that she let her win the match...

So byebye top 10 (well she would have lost in R4 anyway).

We'll see in Asia.

NYKiriFan
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
I was looking forward to seeing Kiri/Petrova match up against the Williams sisters on hard court after two close matches on grass, but if Maria is so hurt they can barely beat Falconi/Sanchez this does not bode well. :(

Celeborn
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure she would have won with normal play. But she could barely get a first serve in, something was clearly wrong. She already didn't play that well against Arn. It would be nice to hear something from herself about it, but she never tells anything anymore...

Regarding top 10, that doesn't depend on one single match. She needs to play a good asian swing and everything is possible.

peterlein
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
you are right, something was wrong with her yesterday...I.had the impression she didn't care much about this match. I also noticed that in R2, where she just played tennis, but without emotions...I mean no grunts, fistpumps and so on...the body language was rather negative...against scheepers instead, she was on fire! I don't know, but something must have happened between R1 and R2...?
It's a little injury maybe...
Or maybe she was so desperate because of serena right in her way to the QF...
Well, this was the first really unnecessary and bad loss since a long time....schiavone at s'hertogenbosch I'd say.
So let's just hope this won't be the beginning of another period of embarrassing losses as she had in the claycourt season.
But I think she will find her motivation for the Asian tour again, she loves to play there :-)

MK Ultra
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I think with her great results in Wimbledon, OG in singles and doubles and the final in NH, Maria is really tired right now. And I do agree on the return. She used to be more aggressive on it. I think since she's improved her serve so much, the ROS kinda degenerated.
But back to the match, the only times she got close to playing well, was when she was down or in pressure. She looked like a zombie out there. The most emotion she showed was a mild "c'mon" in the first set. Not grunting, not fighting. I think she didn't care about it that much in the end. She didn't show any negative emotions, and the handshake wasn't bitchy.
Not to mention the doubles was hilarious. Nadia sucked big time and Kiri did too, but she was walking in between shots. She was not intersecting anything and left it all for Nadia to screw up.
That said, I think it's very noble of her, after a big match and not being 100% physically to go out and play doubles 45 minutes later. She's a good sport.

the cat
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:58 PM
I didn't see the last set, so I had still hope watching the results this morning, but Maria was hopeless in fact :help:

From what I saw, she played so badly... Hlavackova is cute and all, she even hit some winners, but she should not be a threat to a focused Kiri :facepalm:

Some say she's maybe injured as she didn't move well, I hope no. It was hot yesterday, maybe Maria was overheating ? Maybe it was a fixed match ? Maybe Kiri is unable to handle pressure ? Maybe she found Miss Chipmunk so cute that she let her win the match...

So byebye top 10 (well she would have lost in R4 anyway).

We'll see in Asia.I doubt Makiri lost because Andrea is very pretty. :lol: She lost because she lacks a good tennis coach who can help her with her return of serve. Maria's return game on second serves this summer has been appalling. :eek: You don't notice it much when she's holding serve regularly. But all those break points in the third set yesterday against Hlavackova went away for Maria. I expect better from Kiri at his point in her career. She played like a young player yesterday against a doubles specialist not the fine 10 year pro she is. That said I do wonder if Kiri is tired or a little beaten up physically after a very busy summer of tennis for her. I was sad to see her wear that left knee band again yesterday. That means she has knee pain or tendonitis again. :(

The Olympics really saved Kiri's year this year because she lost in the third round of Oz, the second round of Roland Garros and the third round of the U.S. Open. Maria did fine on grass courts this year making the quarters of Wimbledon and the semi's of the London Olympics in singles and doubles.

And what's with Maria and Nadia playing the Willaims sisters again in doubles? Is it that the dumbasses who seed the doubles field don't think the sisters have earned a seed to avoid early round matchups like this? I guess so. Damn fools. :fiery:

MK Ultra
Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
You guys need to relax.

the cat
Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
A forgotten aspect to the match yesterday was that Hlavackova was a very good 18 - 24 from the net while Kiri was an atrocious 5 - 14 from the net. :rolleyes: Where were Maria's passing shots? It's like her passing game has gone the way of her return of serve. I hope that fatigue and knee soreness played a major factor in that loss yesterday. That would explain some things. But Andrea played hurt as well.

Maria losing grand slam matches to Zakapalova and Hlavackova this year really hurts. That should not have happened. But we have seen progress from Masha this year and that is good. Like most players if her serve is good Kiri plays well and when her serve is struggling the rest of her game struggles too.

NYKiriFan
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Haha, so Maria does end up playing Serena on Ashe in prime time after all... albeit in doubles. Props to the organizers for giving this match respect, but too bad that Maria isn't 100%. Hope this off day and the prime time start give her some time to heal.

the cat
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Haha, so Maria does end up playing Serena on Ashe in prime time after all... albeit in doubles. Props to the organizers for giving this match respect, but too bad that Maria isn't 100%. Hope this off day and the prime time start give her some time to heal.Really? First match at 7pm?

On a side note I think it's time Kiri travelled the tour with her own personal trainer or physical therapist. Because when she's not right physically she has real problems winning. Kiri or Ovie can afford the expenses of hiring a travelling personal trainer. Maria needs one. All the top players have one.

Remix13
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Oveshkin is her personnal trainer now :oh:

the cat
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Oveshkin is her personnal trainer now :oh: :lol:

Well Serena destroyed Hlavackova love and love today. :eek: Still can't believe Maria came up so small against Andrea in their match. Kiri would have been competitive today against Williams. She would not have won but she would have won some games at the very least.

MH0861
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM
In happier news, they killed the WS in doubles :spit: :yeah:

peterlein
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:49 AM
YEAHHHHH Maria and Nadia just won their R3 in doubles against the Williams, 6-1 and 6-4!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeah:
it was worth it to stay up so long to watch the entire match, thx kiri/nadia!!!
Kiri serving so well tonight, they played perfectly!! HUGE win :worship:

now get that USO title :)

NYKiriFan
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hooray :) :) :) 6-1, 6-4 over the Williams sisters! Such an outstanding clean match. I think you had two players in Petrova & Kirilenko who were pretty damn disappointed with how things went in singles this week, and this was an opportunity to get a marquee doubles win, and really prove something. Such a great match. Final W/UE count was 14/3 for Kiri & Petrova. :worship:

Surely the Williams sisters were not at their best (W/UE = 16/19), but Kiri & Petrova gave them nothing easy and never allowed them to find any momentum. Just when you thought maybe the Williams might take over, they made an error, and Kiri & Petrova regained their confidence.

Credit to Kiri for some tough holds. One was up 6-1, 1-0, when she was up 40-15 and I thought she won the point... but I don't know why it was replayed... then she lost the next 3 points... but managed to hold on. Then down 15-40 in the final game, they win the last 4 on her serve. :bounce: Kiri also had a great finish on the longest rally of the match :)

NYKiriFan
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:56 AM
it was worth it to stay up so long to watch the entire match, thx kiri/nadia!!!
Huge thanks for Kiri closing it out when she did :worship:

I'm also on CEST this fall (first US Open I've missed in several years :( ) and don't think I could've survived a second-set tiebreak or a third set. :help: But hooray :bounce:

NYKiriFan
Sep 4th, 2012, 01:08 AM
It was said on GM the Williams hadn't lost in straight sets since 1999. Is that for real? Wow.

Well I always thought Kiri/Petrova was the second-best double teams at both Wimbledon & the Olympics. Now with this win, hope they can the major title they deserve :)

I'm sad not to get to see Kiri's shot at Serena playing at this level. I just don't think she's as intimidated as so many others, and I figure she could've at least threatened a set and scored a couple breaks. But so glad she gets this great opportunity in doubles now. :)

peterlein
Sep 4th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Credit to Kiri for some tough holds. One was up 6-1, 1-0, when she was up 40-15 and I thought she won the point... but I don't know why it was replayed... then she lost the next 3 points... but managed to hold on. Then down 15-40 in the final game, they win the last 4 on her serve. :bounce: Kiri also had a great finish on the longest rally of the match :)

right, those were impressive holds from her! especially the last one to close it out, from 15-40 down, with the whole crowd against her :worship:
that point from the game at 1-0 2nd set was replayed because of a (late) "out"-call on kiri's first serve

so now I can go to sleep, thx again for winning it in two, girls :kiss:

the cat
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Great win for Maria and Nadia. It is interesting how well Kiri and Petrova played tonight as the underdog in the match against the Williams sisters compared to saturday when Maria was the big favorite against Hlavackova and the pressure to win that match hurt Maria.

miffedmax
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Kiri!

Yeah, I was pissed as ordinarily I like Vee, too. But today I was all about Masha.

Good job, girl!

Remix13
Sep 4th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Oh good news this morning with this win :bounce:

I've read here that Maria played very well, she is probably not injured, that's a good news too. But what happened against Hlavackova, pressure ? fixed match ? Maybe she was sick on that day (this seems very likely)...

Poor Hlavackova yesterday, she left the court on a bicycle. That was a poisonous gift from Masha :lol: :help:

Celeborn
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Wow, unbelievable. When i saw the result today my first thought was it has to be some kind of mistake :D. Great win!

I agree, indeed a pity we couldn't see the match Kiri-Serena, it would have been maybe the toughest challenge for Serena for the whole tournament, unbelievable :). Maybe except for the final.

peterlein
Sep 4th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Kiri/Nadia are going to play their QF today, it's scheduled as the third match on the Grandstand! Errani/Vinci already played and they are through to the semis.
Currently there is a men's doubles in progess, and right after that it's Maria/Nadia time :cheer:

they will face 8th seed Llagostera Vives/Martinez Sanchez from Spain

let's do this girls!! DAVAI :cheer:

EDIT: match was moved to Court 11, and will start as soon as the rain stops!

peterlein
Sep 5th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Maria and Nadia lost the first set by 5-7, after 5-4 - 40-0 :( they were 0/8 on bp's in that set...:facepalm:
but they won the 2nd set by 6-3 :) now win it in three girls!! :cheer:

GoMasha23
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM
they just blew that doubles match big time. so pissed.

peterlein
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:01 PM
and they lost it after they were up *5-2 in the last set, serving for the match twice! :facepalm:
Huge choke and brutal loss, terrible match

NYKiriFan
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:02 PM
:banghead

That's all I've got.

Protoss
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Maria really needs a doubles partner who's mentally tough. This is the 2nd slam in a row they choked away a match (4-1 3rd set at Wimbledon, 5-4 1st set 40-0 and 5-2 (double break) leads today). :(

A team of two mental midgets probably isn't a good idea. :p

GoMasha23
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Such a shame especially after they beat venus/serena

Celeborn
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Omg :facepalm:

the cat
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I feel for Maria suffering another devastating doubles loss this year. :sad: It's just unbelievable because I thought she was better than this.

Todays doubles loss is a ridiculous loss for Kiri and Nadia against 2 power puff players on a hard court. The Russians just beat the mighty Williams sisters and then choked the first and third sets away today This may well be the worse loss Maria and Nadia have ever had together. This is much worse than the tough loss to the Williams sisters at Wimbledon. Thank God todays crushing doubles loss was only a quarterfinal and not the final. That would have been even worse.

I mean Kiri and Nadia blew the first set after being up 5 - 4 and 40 - 0 and then they blew a 5 - 2 double break final set lead. OMG what a disaster. This might very well be the worst loss of Maria's career in singles or doubles. Good Lord this is a nightmare for Kiri. :eek: She has had some highs this year but she has had several brutal losses in singles and doubles where Maria in singles and Maria and Nadia in doubles blew leads in big matches. I doubt Maria will ever shake her ability to throw away matches she has in the bag. Maria really needs a sports psychologist. That's the only way she will improve on her play in the clutch and in not crumbling under pressure. Losing matches like this and the one to Hlavackova is not acceptable. Maria's lack of mental toughness hurt her so much in both matches. What a shame. If Kirilenko only had the cunning qualities of Errani or Radwanska or the guts of Sharapova she would be a top 5 player. And remember how Maria and Azarenka blew the 2011 Australian open doubles final to Dulko and Pennetta? As much as we like Maria alot of this is on her. She may never win a grand slam doubles title and that is dumbfounding considering how good Kiri is in doubles.

Maybe it's time for Kiri and Nadia to part ways. I mean they mainly came together for the Olympics anyway. And they did win a bronze medal in the London Olympics so they did accomplish something big as a team that means alot to them. I would prefer Maria's next doubles partner be on the way up in her career and that she has a big serve. Players like Kvitova, Georges, Lisicki, Barthel and Shvedova come to my mind even though they are not known for being mentally tough. They all like Maria and any of them would compliment her variety and touch game with their power games. And Kvitova has great ahnds too. I think Petra should play doubles for a couple of years. It would really help her already very good singles game get even better. My sleeper new partner for Makiri is Safarova. She has real talent and is lefthanded. Lucie and Maria are friendly. I think they would make a fine team. I would also like to see Azarenka start to play doubles again with Kiri. But I have the feeling Vika has put doubles on the sideline for the sake of her saving energy at majors for her singles game. Vika and Kiri were becoming a very good team when they broke up. The reality is that Maria and Nadia are terrible in the clutch and that is not likely to change as long as they are doubles partners. It's too bad.

I hope Kiri gets a couple weeks of rest and then is in good heatlh for the Asian swing. She needs to do something good in singles before the end of the year.

peterlein
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Well, that's tennis...it's never over till it's over. You can have loads of set-, break-, game- or matchpoints...as long as you don't convert them, nothing is won yet.
Such things as yesterday do not only happen to kiri, don't worry.
It can be a very frustrating sport indeed

NYKiriFan
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'd hope they'd at least play out this year together and see what happens. They're 4th in the race for Istanbul.

the cat
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I hope they make Istanbul. But they both must blame each other for this blown doubles matches on big occasions and that will take it's toll at some point. As far as I am concerned Maria and Nadia are equally responsible for the collapses in their matches. And in almost every doubles match Kiri is involved in she is the best player on thye court talent and game wise. Other than when they play the Williams sisters of course.