PDA

View Full Version : Americans Waste Nearly Half of Their Food

HippityHop
Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Americans waste, throw away nearly half their food: study

(Reuters) - Americans throw away nearly half their food every year, waste worth roughly $165 billion annually, according to a study released on Tuesday.

"As a country, we're essentially tossing every other piece of food that crosses our path. That's money and precious resources down the drain," said Dana Gunders, a scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council's food and agriculture program.

Read more:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/21/us-food-waste-idUSBRE87K0WR20120821

With the drought that is causing the Mississippi River to lose so much water and the effect that is having on the ability to move goods down the river, I wonder if that will change soon. Some experts (for what that's worth) are predicting a 10% rise in the cost of some foods such as meat and corn products next year.

Better stock up now.

Serenus Christ
Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'm sure a bulk of it is just large supermarkets throwing away off food.
Bakeries throwing away bread at the end of the day.. Diary products passing the use-by-date

Super Dave
Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
Bakeries throwing away bread at the end of the day.. Diary products passing the use-by-date

Yep.

Unsold fruits and vegetables in grocery stores account for a big part of the wasted food.

It's not like we buy stuff and throw it out. Stale bread is about the only thing I can think of that I throw out, if I haven't made French toast out of it.

However, there is a huge market near my house that has scores of prepared salads and other dishes, and I often wonder what happens to what isn't sold. The place is huge and the array is amazing.

HippityHop
Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:28 PM

Yep.

It's not like we buy stuff and throw it out. Stale bread is about the only thing I can think of that I throw out, if I haven't made French toast out of it.

However, there is a huge market near my house that has scores of prepared salads and other dishes, and I often wonder what happens to what isn't sold. The place is huge and the array is amazing.

"Unsold fruits and vegetables in grocery stores account for a big part of the wasted food.

But consumers and restaurants are also to blame, preparing large portions that result in leftovers that often go uneaten."

You are both correct. But that is a lot of food going to waste.

Chris Rock once did a routine where he went on about there being too much food in America.

Of course he was talking more about Americans saying things like, "I don't eat (insert favorite bandwagon food here) because it'll kill you."

And he's correct in his larger point that only people who have "too much food" can afford to think like that.

Years ago (around 1992 I think)I was talking to one of my students from Africa and she said when she sent a photo of herself back to her family, they were surprised at how much weight she had gained (and she was not fat at all. Not even "thick").

She said that she told them that is food EVERYWHERE in the United States. Just food, food, food.