PDA

View Full Version : Which WILLIAMS Will Play?

tennisIlove09
Nov 28th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Will Serena show up?
Will Venus show up?
Will NEITHER show up?

Anyone know?

King Aaron
Nov 28th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Serena will most likely play. She has played here almost since she turned pro in think.

Wimanna
Nov 28th, 2002, 03:34 PM
The Williams sisters will be seen only sparingly in the Open build-up. Serena will partner James Blake in the Hopman Cup in January, but Venus has not entered any of the lead-up events. The elder Williams retired hurt from her last match, a semi-final of the season-ending WTA Championships, citing a lower left leg strain.

Last January, Venus won the Gold Coast title before restricting herself to doubles at Homebush, where Serena received the ankle injury that led to her Australian Open withdrawal. Traditionally, one sister plays Sydney, but this year neither will appear. "All I've heard so far is that no one knows what Venus is doing," Watson said.

gossipcom
Nov 29th, 2002, 12:53 PM
yeah both Sisters are uncommitted to the tournaments the week of Jan 5-11 - there's a rumour going around that Venus won't play any lead up tournaments before the Australian Open.

King Aaron
Nov 29th, 2002, 02:00 PM
oic, so Serena will only play Hopman Cup then.

anton
Nov 29th, 2002, 03:07 PM
NEITHER!! Serena hurt herself there and those kangaroos would not let her play late in Melbourne so she will not be back in 2003 in sydney. Also Venus was overworked from the Gold Coast so she may pull a Steffi and show up in Melbourne with no match play

starr
Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:03 AM
Kangaroos?

Nice.

Sam L
Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:26 AM
anton, Venus is not playing Gold coast?

Anyway, if neither turns up probably a good thing Daniela top 4 seed and get to semis and hopefully finals :)

King Aaron
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:24 PM
yeah, it seems like neither will show up

Kirt12255
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:52 PM
Serena will play Hopman....Venus the Adidas (prediction)...Serena got injured because she had no lead-up....they are fast, but on Rebound-Ace it will cost them if they don't play some.....very hot and in drought here...no rain forcast...and on a rubber surface shoes stick to the surface more.

If at any time there will be a massive upset this year at the AO...will be this year.

Many injuries....this surface should be illegal in this country through summer, let alone allowing professional athletes attempt to play on it.

My thoughts anyhow :-)

Linnie
Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Sorry Sam, but Amelie will be the #4 seed ;)

lizchris
Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:44 PM
Until Venus and Martina confirm their participation or nonparticipation in Sydney, the top ten seeds look like this:

1) Capriati
2) Clijsters
3) Henin-Hardenne
4) Mauresmo
5) Hantuchova
6) Myskina
7) Davenport
8) Rubin
9) Maleeva
10) Schynder

My guess is that Maleeve and Schynder will be unseeded.

K155-k155
Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
I think Serena is the most likely play :kiss:

JCAP
Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:59 PM
Hopefully none, it dosen't really matter if they show up everyone know's Capriati will WIN!! (again)

Serendy Willick
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:52 PM
Hopefully both so they can kick Jennifers azz

tennisIlove09
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by pmimvmlm1
Hopefully none, it dosen't really matter if they show up everyone know's Capriati will WIN!! (again)

Mauresmo seems to have Jen's number ;)

tennisIlove09
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by lizchris
Until Venus and Martina confirm their participation or nonparticipation in Sydney, the top ten seeds look like this:

1) Capriati
2) Clijsters
3) Henin-Hardenne
4) Mauresmo
5) Hantuchova
6) Myskina
7) Davenport
8) Rubin
9) Maleeva
10) Schynder

My guess is that Maleeve and Schynder will be unseeded.

Wow, how good would a Davenport/Capriati quarter be?

Chance
Dec 4th, 2002, 09:29 AM
clijsters and a Hantuchova quarter would very interesting too

lizchris
Dec 8th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
Wow, how good would a Davenport/Capriati quarter be?

Great if Lindsay would win beccause I think she is a better player than Jennifer.

sideout
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:37 AM
wow, that's a joke. Jen C can't win a tourney whether the Williams are in it or not. Besides which, she has more immediate concerns than the Williams and that's everyone below her in the top 10. Jen C if memory serves me correctly has never done well at Homebush (she lost 2nd rd last 2 yrs in a row didn't she?) So regardless of whether or not Vee or Rena turn up - I think it's been confirmed that neither is, she needs to worry about those who are there specifically Momo, Davey and Clijsters (sp?). As for Hantuchova - the jury's still out on her.

Penne1
Jan 1st, 2003, 01:40 PM
Oracene has told people at the Hopman Cup this week that neither sister will be in Sydney.

Venus is headed straight to Melbourne and Serena will join her there next week after the Hopman Cup.

No Williams in the draw in Sydney!

rfs1999
Jan 1st, 2003, 02:54 PM
Go Monica!