PDA

View Full Version : Which city will hold the 2020 Olympics?

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:57 AM
We still have 3 candidates:wavey:;)

Serenus Christ
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:04 AM
Istanbul

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:12 AM
I even don't have a favourite:lol:

Kəv.
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:36 AM
I would love it to be Tokyo :hearts: Especially because of their timezone :oh: I would be able to watch at home and not watch it till 2AM.

gentenaire
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM
Tokyo's the only one that can afford it.

Dani12
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:51 AM
Istanbul would be awesome.

M.S.F
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:52 AM
No Doha? :oh:
I hope Istanbul. Perfect time zone, place and culture.

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM
Istanbul for me as well. Tokyo will be better to host the Winters Olympics.:oh:

Halardfan
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hoping it will be Tokyo but Madrid will get lots of votes and will win.

Fantasy Hero
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:35 AM
madrid can't afford to host olympics :spit: Rome would have won hands down, but we are broke and withdraw :sobbing:
hope and think Istanbul will win and i'm sure they will make great games :yeah:

olivero
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'd love to see Istanbul win but I guess it will be Tokyo.

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:06 AM

Doha was eliminated early this year,in May,I think.:)

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:09 AM
Istanbul is so popular:cheer::lol:

But they are also applying 2020 Euro Cup?:unsure:

It won't happen at the same year I think:lol:

Mary Cherry.
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:26 AM
How can Madrid even afford it? :unsure:

Istanbul sounds perfect.

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Is the economy really that bad?:unsure:

Sam L
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
It's going to be Istanbul. Ottomania!!

Sam L
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
If it's Japan, will there be a boycott by China?

ranfurly
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Come on Tokyo!

Just Do It
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:48 AM
I can't believe Madrid made it to top3. Tokyo is kinda blah while I think Istanbul and Turkey are still not ready to host Olympics, no favorite city for me.

HawkAussie
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM

+1

Kuilli
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Istanbul would be my pick. Wouldn't mind Madrid either, but don't see them getting it.

Wert.
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:48 AM
Tokyo.

$uricate
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Shoud be Paris.

They've tried so hard over the years and hosted so many great international athletics competitions as well as other sports.

They've been unlucky in that the moment has never been right but they aren't in the running so hey ho.

I would definately say Istanbul out of the options. An area of the world that hasn't hosted in a while. Always have great sporting events and they are growing as a global city every year.

I think it would be really interesting and diverse. Imagine the Hagia Sophia in the background and the swimming and sailing events in he Bosphorus :drool:

matthias
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM
South Korea has the WinterGames 2018, so Istanbul has really a great chance
and then Germany could bid for the EURO 2020, since Turkey will withdraw his EURO Bid 2020 ;)

$uricate
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
If it's Japan, will there be a boycott by China?

Get in your time machine and travel back from 1945 please.

matthias
Shoud be Paris.

i guess Paris hope for a Tokyo victory, and then they can eye her 100 yr anniversary bid for 2024 :)

Sam L
Shoud be Paris.

Paris will get 2024 centennial anniversary of the 1924 Games. No worries!

Certinfy
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM
Instanbul. Wouldn't mind that or Tokyo. Madrid on the other hand would be absolutely horrendous.

matthias
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM
Paris will get 2024 centennial anniversary of the 1924 Games. No worries!

like Athens got 1996 anniversary Games?
they will try, but you never know with IOC

Sam L
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Get in your time machine and travel back from 1945 please.

I guess you haven't seen this: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=466414

i guess Paris hope for a Tokyo victory, and then they can eye her 100 yr anniversary bid for 2024 :)

I don't think that matters. Istanbul will be seen as the first Muslim majority nation to host rather than "European" country to host.

matthias
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
I don't think that matters. Istanbul will be seen as the first Muslim majority nation to host rather than "European" country to host.

right, good point

$uricate
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
I guess you haven't seen this: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=466414

I hadn't, sorry.

I still don't think it will be enough. It's years away and China want those Olympic medals.

China has so many disputes these days.

This is what I thought. The IOC are all about diversity and there has never been a Muslim majorty state.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm hoping that iStanbul will win the bid and will host the game in 2020.

Madrid is broke so I don't think that they'll win and I'd hate it if Tokyo won it cause of the timezone so iStanbul is perfect for me.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
On second thoughts, Madrid could be good...

http://www.unionversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/tumblr_m8nyhcfvRf1rdfoe2o1_500.jpg

Javi.
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Madrid can afford it. The most investment is already done. Madrid deserves it as the only big capital in Europe that has never hosted Olympic Games. :wavey:

C. Drone
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM
if IOC keeps up the Continent rotation, 2020 should be in Asia and 2024 in Europe. Although you can argue that Istanbul (and Turkey as muslim nation as mentioned) does represents Europe or not.

Mattographer
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
I would love it to be Tokyo :hearts: Especially because of their timezone :oh: I would be able to watch at home and not watch it till 2AM.
+ 1.

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
I heared Guangzhou will bid for 2024 Olympics,so I hope it won't be Japan:lol:

saint2
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Should be- Tokyo
Will be- Istambul

KournikovaFan91
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Madrid or Istanbul hopefully.

Don't want Asia for time zone reasons also Tokyo had their shot years ago, give someone else a go. Not to mention Tokyo is already established as a world city whereas the likes of Beijing, Rio and possibly Istanbul are exciting new capitals putting themselves on the global stage. This was why London was rather boring, like we all knew London as a city already. :shrug:

Asia can have 2024 :shrug: Just let me have reasonable timezones for 3 Olympiads London, Rio and Istanbul/Madrid

If Madrid don't get this hope Barcelona bid for Winter 2028.

Mynarco
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Japan, Japan :)

Ferg
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM
Istanbul would be a nice change and I think the Turks would do a great job.

TigerTim
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Tokyo. Brazil is a developing country so they probably won't go with 2 in a row.

MaBaker
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
On second thoughts, Madrid could be good...

http://www.unionversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/tumblr_m8nyhcfvRf1rdfoe2o1_500.jpg
lol.

I have no doubt that Istanbul will get it. I wish it was Paris.. though 2024. in Paris would be good too.

kwilliams
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Madrid or Istanbul hopefully.

Don't want Asia for time zone reasons also Tokyo had their shot years ago, give someone else a go. Not to mention Tokyo is already established as a world city whereas the likes of Beijing, Rio and possibly Istanbul are exciting new capitals putting themselves on the global stage. This was why London was rather boring, like we all knew London as a city already. :shrug:

Asia can have 2024 :shrug: Just let me have reasonable timezones for 3 Olympiads London, Rio and Istanbul/Madrid

If Madrid don't get this hope Barcelona bid for Winter 2028.

I agree. I think cities that haven't been lucky enough to host an Olympic event before, should get a little bias thrown their way! I feel like after London hosting it's 3rd Olympics, we might get to see the Olympics in some new and exciting places. I don't think NYC, Paris or Tokyo will host the Olympics for quite some time. If the Olympics were in Istanbul, it would definitely be quite different.

I'd be happy for any of those cities to win it but I think it will go to Istanbul. Tokyo might make more sense but it's a little soon after Beijing 2008.

VeeJJ
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Houston? :awww:

Wiggly
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM
It has to be Istanbul or Tokyo as Madrid can't afford it.

ivanban
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
Only Tokyo and Istanbul can afford it. I'm fine with both, but would slightly more want to see Tokyo host it

Sammo
Aug 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM
It has to be Istanbul or Tokyo as Madrid can't afford it.

Politicians here don't give a damn if we can afford it or not. God do I hate this country.

Soliloque
Aug 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Would prefer Istanbul. I hope it wont hurt Paris 2024 chances though.

August
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:22 PM
After OG in Europe in 2012 and in Americas in 2016, 2020 OG should be in Asia. On the other hand, 2018 OWG will be in South Korea, so I wonder if that may weaken Tokyo's chances. And the continental rotation isn't definite, e.g. now Europe hosted 2nd OG in eight years.

Anyway, I'd say Tokyo sounds the best host city to me. OG is just so big an event that it needs reliable organizers, and I rely on the Japanese, they've hosted many big events already before. Spain has also hosted big evets, yet in their current economical situation I wouldn't give them OG. And Istanbul sounds nice, something new for major sports events. On the other hand, I wonder if Turkey has enough experience from hosting major events.

From tennis point of view, I'd say I'd prefer Madrid. Olympic tennis is the kind of 5th slam, but it doesn't stand out at OG, athletics, swimming, and basketball get the main attention. In slam countries, like UK this year, it's an MM event compared to the slam, and outside slam countries, Olympic tennis doesn't interest locals that much. But if Spain had a Gold contender in tennis in 2020 who would be one of their country's most important individual athletes (like Rafa now), I think Olympic tennis could have a great atmosphere because it would be the only chance to see their hero winning something bigger than a Masters 1000/Premier Mandatory title in the home country.

So, for tennis I'd prefer Madrid, yet emotionally I hope Istanbul to get OG. But rationally thinking I think Tokyo is the best host city. And I think Tokyo is quite likely IOC's choice.

AstuteLearner8
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM
Istanbul, Turkey sounds like a great choice as long as there is enough room for infrastructure to be built and enough money alloted for the Olympics Games. Going off topic but at some point I hope that NYC gets a chance to host the Olympics, it's a well known city in my opinion across the world yet has never hosted an Olympics before.

PhilePhile
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM
NHK - Japanese Olympic medalists parade in Ginza
LFcHRP2yfjQ

[about 500,000 spectators]

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UF726_tokyo7_H_20120820045640.jpg

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UF721_tokyo2_H_20120820044003.jpg

http://photo.sankei.jp.msn.com/highlight/~/media/highlight/2012/08/20/G20120820TTT0700032G3000000.jpg

Halardfan
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:01 PM
I think Japan can have a good story to tell, that of rebuilding in the wake of the horrors of the earthquake and nuclear disaster, of using the games as a focal point for a renewed Japan.

Public opinion has usually been rather indifferent here though, and that has to be turned around.

But Tokyo is a fantastic city, and the people of Japan would be welcoming and kind.

Istanbul has incredible history, but seems a gamble.

Madrid, which tends to get plenty of votes in the Spanish speaking world, has a great chance. Remember that it almost beat London to the Games too.

VeeJJ
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM
Istanbul, Turkey sounds like a great choice as long as there is enough room for infrastructure to be built and enough money alloted for the Olympics Games. Going off topic but at some point I hope that NYC gets a chance to host the Olympics, it's a well known city in my opinion across the world yet has never hosted an Olympics before.
Where would everything go? :lol: Space is the issue there.

Halardfan
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM
NHK - Japanese Olympic medalists parade in Ginza
LFcHRP2yfjQ

[about 500,000 spectators]

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UF726_tokyo7_H_20120820045640.jpg

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UF721_tokyo2_H_20120820044003.jpg

http://photo.sankei.jp.msn.com/highlight/~/media/highlight/2012/08/20/G20120820TTT0700032G3000000.jpg

Great event! Ganbatte Nihon!

August
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:20 PM
In general, I'd prefer Olympics given permanently to one city, preferably Athens. To host Olympics you need so many sports venues with many of them without post-OG use that hosting Olympics is almost insanity. With a permanent host city, all venues would have use at least once in four years.

Ellery
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:33 PM
Well, the 2018 Winter Games are in Korea, so that could hurt Tokyo :unsure:

I think Istanbul would be really interesting, especially because of the Europe and Asia connection, but Tokyo definitely looks like the safer bet to me. :)

Melange
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM
In general, I'd prefer Olympics given permanently to one city, preferably Athens. To host Olympics you need so many sports venues with many of them without post-OG use that hosting Olympics is almost insanity. With a permanent host city, all venues would have use at least once in four years.

:yeah: Agreed a great idea. Greece would be perfect to host the Olympics every four years

August
Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
:yeah: Agreed a great idea. Greece would be perfect to host the Olympics every four years

The only problem would be Greece's financial situation. But that's where a problem lies. Host country is the biggest payer of OG. They pay millions to build venues that will have no later use. Why do they pay? To promote their country. But I wonder if Olympics main thing should be promoting the host country, I don't think so. Obviously Australian/French/UK/US government aren't the biggest payers of Grand Slam events even if those events promote their countries. In my opinion, IOC should be the one who pays Olympics costs. But of course, as there are other willing payers, they don't want to pay. It just feels so hypocrite, you must not have advertises during OG, yet you can advertise a country by hosting OG.

Anyway, during the '04 Athens OG, I remember reading there were people who wanted OG to be given permanently to Athens. Still, I don't see a permanent host city as long as there are willing host cities. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lin Lin
Aug 22nd, 2012, 01:30 AM
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1221285/1/.html

TOKYO: Japanese media said on Tuesday the Olympic fervour on display when 500,000 people packed downtown Tokyo to hail medallists needed to be built on if the city was to win the rights to host the 2020 Games.

Japanese networks continued to air rousing scenes from the previous day's noontime parade, involving 71 of the country's 76 medal holders from the London Olympics.

"May the fervour spread to Tokyo's Olympic bid," read a front-page headline in the conservative daily Sankei Shimbun.

The Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) reportedly spent 40 million yen ($500,000) to parade new Olympic medallists for the first-time ever - in open-top cars and buses over a one-kilometre stretch of Tokyo's upmarket Ginza area.

At the London Games, Japan won seven gold, 14 silver and 17 bronze medals and their total medal haul of 38 surpassed their previous high of 37 from Athens 2004.

The number of medallists surpassed the total as members of team events shared the honours with a medal for each. The women's football team, the 2011 World Cup champions, took the silver behind the United States.

The parade was also aimed at leveraging Tokyo's 2020 bid after it lost out to Rio de Janeiro in the campaign for the 2016 Summer Games, with low public support cited as a reason for the defeat.

An International Olympic Committee (IOC) survey published in May showed that the rate of public support was 47 percent for Tokyo, against 73 and 78 percent for 2020 rivals Istanbul and Madrid.

But organisers have expressed hope that they can convert those who had "no opinion" and accounted for 30 percent of the polled.

IOC members will choose the 2020 host city in September next year.

JOC president Tsunekazu Takeda, who also heads the bid committee, said that Japan's feat in London "makes us even more determined to deliver a dynamic celebration in the heart of the world's most forward-thinking city".

- AFP

wild.river
Aug 22nd, 2012, 02:05 AM
i hope istanbul :hearts::hearts:

anyone else going through olympics hangover?? seriously missing the games.

hellas719
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:05 AM
I want Madrid because then I will probably go :cheer:

I see Istanbul getting the games and TBH I don't want them to. Sorry if this sounds nationalist or something but it will be sickening when they get the games and the Greek monuments in Turkey are portrayed as "Turkish" and Turkey's horrible past won't be exposed (Cyprus was not too long ago, Armenians will never forget, etc.). But Turkish sport is really improving and they are keen on hosting the Olympics as they have already hosted the FIBA World Championships, WTA YEC, IAAF World Indoor Championships,etc. and they naturalize a lot of athletes like Kazakhstan to increase their Olympic medal haul so you can tell how much they want it ;)

I'd be fine with them getting a Euro Cup but their government that fails to recognize their terrible history doesn't deserve the glory of an Olympics, sorry but that is how I feel about Turkey getting the Olympics even though it's going to happen :shrug:

hellas719
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:10 AM
The only problem would be Greece's financial situation. But that's where a problem lies. Host country is the biggest payer of OG. They pay millions to build venues that will have no later use. Why do they pay? To promote their country. But I wonder if Olympics main thing should be promoting the host country, I don't think so. Obviously Australian/French/UK/US government aren't the biggest payers of Grand Slam events even if those events promote their countries. In my opinion, IOC should be the one who pays Olympics costs. But of course, as there are other willing payers, they don't want to pay. It just feels so hypocrite, you must not have advertises during OG, yet you can advertise a country by hosting OG.

Anyway, during the '04 Athens OG, I remember reading there were people who wanted OG to be given permanently to Athens. Still, I don't see a permanent host city as long as there are willing host cities. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That would be nice and I always dreamed that Athens would get it every time but no way that would happen, especially now with our economic situation and illegal immigrant problem and the fact that the Jacques Rogge hates us and he's been president forever :hysteric:

We have the venues but it won't happen. If it were to happen it would've from 1900 on. But I mean we didn't even get 1996 so I don't see us getting it every year, impossible :sad:

I do hope that one more time in my life I will see the Olympics in Greece, maybe in 2048 :lol:. And I want to see a Greek win a Winter Olympic medal :)

Nicolás89
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:12 AM
Tokyo. :)

~{X}~
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
I would actually be interested in seeing the games in Istanbul. Korea is hosting the 2018 Winter Games so I think it won't be in Japan's favor to have the 2020 Games.

The IOC actually wanted the USA to submit a bid for 2020 but the US decided to leave a bid out and instead focus on 2024, so there is a good shot that a US city may get the 2024 games.

Someone mentioned NYC hosting the games, NYC does have plenty of structures to host most of the events except a main Olympic stadium in the heart of the city which the IOC wanted last time. :lol:

We'll see what happens! :D

hellas719
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:21 AM
^Yeah NYC does have plenty of venues. Indoor sports at MSG, Barclays Center, Nassau Coliseum, IZOD Center (or whatever it's called nowadays), Carnesseca Arena, etc.

Football could be played in Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, etc. since it doesn't have to be in NYC.

Tennis obviously at BJKNTC, beach volleyball could be at a temporary stadium on Coney Island or something, maybe rowing in the Hudson River, etc.

~{X}~
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
^Yeah NYC does have plenty of venues. Indoor sports at MSG, Barclays Center, Nassau Coliseum, IZOD Center (or whatever it's called nowadays), Carnesseca Arena, etc.

Football could be played in Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, etc. since it doesn't have to be in NYC.

Tennis obviously at BJKNTC, beach volleyball could be at a temporary stadium on Coney Island or something, maybe rowing in the Hudson River, etc.
I think there is a soccer stadium even planned for Queens now near the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center and CitiField(where the Mets play baseball.) That stadium may even start construction in the next 2 years. :lol:

If that never does get built, then the new meadowlands stadium where the Giants and Jets play can be converted for soccer.

hellas719
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:46 AM
^Or one of the baseball stadiums could be used for soccer, although scheduling would be a mess with the MLB season :p

Hachiko
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:56 AM
It has to be Tokyo.

Lin Lin
Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
We will have Guangzhou in 2024:cheer:

Freakan
Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
We will have Guangzhou in 2024:cheer:

No you won't :cheer:

Hope for Madrid or maybe Istanbul, so I can go there.

gentenaire
Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:35 AM

I think the main problem with that is that US TV networks wouldn't be too happy about that because of the time difference. At least now, the olympics are on in their time zone every now and then. Unfortunately, it's all about money.

Mattographer
Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:51 AM
I agree. I think cities that haven't been lucky enough to host an Olympic event before, should get a little bias thrown their way! I feel like after London hosting it's 3rd Olympics, we might get to see the Olympics in some new and exciting places. I don't think NYC, Paris or Tokyo will host the Olympics for quite some time. If the Olympics were in Istanbul, it would definitely be quite different.

I'd be happy for any of those cities to win it but I think it will go to Istanbul. Tokyo might make more sense but it's a little soon after Beijing 2008.
Athens and London are only 8 years apart :shrug:

Melange
Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Politicians here don't give a damn if we can afford it or not. God do I hate this country.

How much have they spent just on the bid. You would think they should have abandoned the bid long ago considering they are the least likely to win and the country already needs Europe to bail out the economy but as you said Spanish government is stupid. This reminds me of the $50m Australia wasted on bidding for World Cup and they only got one vote. At the same time Australian league is supposed to be short of money :happy:

Thanos
Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
tokyo is the only stable city out of the three.

Lin Lin
Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Wahat did you mean "stable"?:scratch:

Start da Game
Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:28 AM
i say let's give it to greece forever and be done with it......there is no use constructing stadiums and gathering other resources for one time use and later dismantling them......

after all olympics began in greece and should remain in greece......if history is to be valued, greece should be given permanent rights to host olympics.......greece would also get a lift from their current economic turmoil state......

ranfurly
Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
i say let's give it to greece forever and be done with it......there is no use constructing stadiums and gathering other resources for one time use and later dismantling them......

after all olympics began in greece and should remain in greece......if history is to be valued, greece should be given permanent rights to host olympics.......greece would also get a lift from their current economic turmoil state......

meh, it will always have it's place within History,

Besides these are the Modern Olympic games, encompassing an event which is arguably the most international you can get, and has been since what...1896 or there abouts?

I don't think the use of constructing stadiums only to be used for 2 weeks and gone again should be an issue, any country who is willing to participate should have it strategically alligned that permananent structures are going to be used for national purposes, as well as international after the games concludes so it becomes a resource, and focus more on semi-permanent stadiums, venues which can be invigorated and upgraded for the games, venues which are already in place, and can be utilised.

We had that with the Rugby World Cup in NZ where they placed I think another 15,000 seats onto Eden Park, only for them to be dissambeled(sp) after the cup,

So much emphasis on having everything look immpecable, which is fine, but I'm waiting for a country who hosts it, to utilise more structures which are in place, rather than building all new venues.

I guess Using Wimbledon is a classic example

August
Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
That would be nice and I always dreamed that Athens would get it every time but no way that would happen, especially now with our economic situation and illegal immigrant problem and the fact that the Jacques Rogge hates us and he's been president forever :hysteric:

We have the venues but it won't happen. If it were to happen it would've from 1900 on. But I mean we didn't even get 1996 so I don't see us getting it every year, impossible :sad:

I do hope that one more time in my life I will see the Olympics in Greece, maybe in 2048 :lol:. And I want to see a Greek win a Winter Olympic medal :)

If talking about Athens Olympics, I'd be even happy if there were a system like in British Open Golf Ch'ship where home of golf, St. Andrews hosts the Open every fifth year. I think Athens should host every fifth Olympics, e.g. celebrating 120, 140, 160... years of Olympics. Otherwise I'm afraid OG will grow too big for Greece, and any European country excluding maybe UK, Germany, and France.

The 2nd Law
Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Istanbul is really the obvious choice for me. I think it's still such an underrated world city, and the games need to go to a muslim nation sooner or later (Turkey is an Islamic country, right?)

mckyle.
Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
I hope Istanbul!

Stevie_J
Aug 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
It should go to Istanbul, a new country for the olympics is always good

hellas719
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:27 AM
If talking about Athens Olympics, I'd be even happy if there were a system like in British Open Golf Ch'ship where home of golf, St. Andrews hosts the Open every fifth year. I think Athens should host every fifth Olympics, e.g. celebrating 120, 140, 160... years of Olympics. Otherwise I'm afraid OG will grow too big for Greece, and any European country excluding maybe UK, Germany, and France.

Nice idea ;)

But it won't happen. Jacques Rogge hates us and our politicians are useless and wouldn't do anything to try. I mean they couldn't even get the 100 year games in 1996 and barely got 2004 :tape:. And look where they have taken us now :rolleyes:

But the Summer Olympics in Greece are 99% guaranteed no rain :D

Novichok
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Hopefully Tokyo. :)

kittyking
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
It will probably go to Istanbul. I've guessed the last three cities correctly, and this one I'm quite sure off.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:01 AM

And they are gonna pay for hosting the Olympics with what :tape:?

Lin Lin
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:17 AM
;)

Lin Lin
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:22 AM
http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60240&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1345702613

http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60241&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1345702613

http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60242&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1345702613

Just Do It
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Istanbul logo is the worst :tears:

spiceboy
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Istanbul logo is the worst :tears:

Have you seen the Madrid logo? 20020 :facepalm:

hellas719
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:41 AM
And they are gonna pay for hosting the Olympics with what :tape:?

I find it ironic how you take every opportunity to make fun of the Greek economy, when you are Albanian and Albanians are illegally immigrating to Greece every day because they want to make more money since the situation in Albania has always been bad :shrug:

Just Do It
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
Have you seen the Madrid logo? 20020 :facepalm:

Yep, it was posted on the previous page, still better than Istanbul and London :lol:

Lin Lin
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:20 AM
I am wondering wheather Serbia will ever hold the Olympics?:scratch:

August
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Nice idea ;)

But it won't happen. Jacques Rogge hates us and our politicians are useless and wouldn't do anything to try. I mean they couldn't even get the 100 year games in 1996 and barely got 2004 :tape:. And look where they have taken us now :rolleyes:

But the Summer Olympics in Greece are 99% guaranteed no rain :D

Well, Rogge is IOC's president for the last year now.

Wert.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM

Of course. We are one of the most successful sport nations on the World, and our economy is on fire.

Kon.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I think and hope Istanbul.

Petkovic
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
I think and hope Istanbul.

x2

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
I find it ironic how you take every opportunity to make fun of the Greek economy, when you are Albanian and Albanians are illegally immigrating to Greece every day because they want to make more money since the situation in Albania has always been bad :shrug:

They WERE immigrating, they are not doing so anymore :shrug:, at least not as much as they used to.

Greece is almost practically bankrupt so I would find it impossible for your country to host the Olympics any time soon let alone host it every four years as some moron previously suggested :yeah:. I am not taking a dig at Greece's economy I'm just stating the obvious :shrug:.

It's pointless comparing the economy of countries like Greece with Albania (I'm from Republic of Kosova btw) in my opinion. They come from different historical backgrounds :yeah:.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
;)

Turkey's one is fantastic, very creative. I also like the one from Tokyo, love the colors :yeah:.

Joana
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM

That's a rather strange question :shrug:

I hope for Madrid or Istanbul, because of the timezones. Beijing was almost impossible to watch :sobbing:

Sammo
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:50 PM
Madrid 20,020 :spit:

Lin Lin
Aug 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
:lol:

Mattographer
Aug 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
20020 :hysteric:

Sent from my iPad using VS Free

Lin Lin
Aug 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Where are we and where is tennisforum.com then?:awww:

olivero
Aug 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
all the logos are horrible :tape: I hope the winner will change it after the competition is over

Cassius
Aug 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'd love it to be Istanbul, but I suspect Tokyo will win it. Madrid hasn't a chance against the other two.

Frozenn
Aug 23rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
I want to feel the Olympic spirit in my city so i really hope for Istanbul. :)

Istanbul's logo was chosen in an online poll. Tulip and Bosphorus, cliche images.. It could be more creative.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-J8makbdkyws/T9ydQl5TavI/AAAAAAAABTs/v2ejg-rk26o/s1600/istanbul_olimpiyat_logosu.png

njnetswill
Aug 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
I think Istanbul would be the most interesting choice but Tokyo would probably be executed the best.

Start da Game
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
They WERE immigrating, they are not doing so anymore :shrug:, at least not as much as they used to.

Greece is almost practically bankrupt so I would find it impossible for your country to host the Olympics any time soon let alone host it every four years as some moron previously suggested :yeah:. I am not taking a dig at Greece's economy I'm just stating the obvious :shrug:.

It's pointless comparing the economy of countries like Greece with Albania (I'm from Republic of Kosova btw) in my opinion. They come from different historical backgrounds :yeah:.

we are all just sharing ideas clown......if greece is bankrupt, IOC should step forward and fund the games......drawing major sponsors is not a big deal for olympics anyway, so i don't see any problem in settling the games at one place than moving it around every four years......

August
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:02 PM

Yeah, at the moment Greece couldn't even dream about hosting OG. But that also makes to think if OG os already to expensive to host as thay may be too expensive for Olympics' home country to ever host anymore. And Greece becoming permanent host; actually it'd be better investment for Greece, once you have the venues, you would get every fourth year the same publicity you get only once. That would already make it possible for the host country to make money by hosting OG, not just spend it.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
we are all just sharing ideas clown......if greece is bankrupt, IOC should step forward and fund the games......drawing major sponsors is not a big deal for olympics anyway, so i don't see any problem in settling the games at one place than moving it around every four years......

But why should we stick with just one country hosting the games all the time :scratch:?

If I were an athlete I would probably be competing in at least 2 Olympic Games so why not travel more and explore new cultures and places instead of just visiting one place :shrug:.

Also the whole thing about the Olympic games is the bond created between places and continents therefore isolating the games in just one place would make that bond useless which would be a pity in my opinion :angel:.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, at the moment Greece couldn't even dream about hosting OG. But that also makes to think if OG os already to expensive to host as thay may be too expensive for Olympics' home country to ever host anymore. And Greece becoming permanent host; actually it'd be better investment for Greece, once you have the venues, you would get every fourth year the same publicity you get only once. That would already make it possible for the host country to make money by hosting OG, not just spend it.

It's mandatory in my opinion for the games to be organized or hosted by different countries rather than being stuck in Greece :shrug:.

I always look forward to the opening ceremony of the Olympics because in a way I learn something more from that country through that ceremony, about its culture, tradition etc so making a country a permanent host of the Olympics would completely put me off and as a result I would lose my interests in the games as many of others would as well in my opinion. :shrug:.

The publicity you are talking about would fade away eventually me thinks.
Read this article http://www.voanews.com/content/olympics-blamed-for-stoking-debt-crisis-in-greece/1146124.html Greek politicians are saying that it was the Olympics who started the fall of the Greek economy into recession :shrug: so having them host again would be nonsense.

Sylvester
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
I would say Madrid is the favorite, considering they tried to host the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, but always ran short (3rd in 2012; 2nd in 2016).

That worked with Pyeongchang in the Winter Olympics, as they were runner-ups in 2010 and 2014, before finally winning the right to host the 2018 Olympics.

KournikovaFan91
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM
all the logos are horrible :tape: I hope the winner will change it after the competition is over

The bid logo is usually changed after they win.

hellas719
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Well, Rogge is IOC's president for the last year now.

:cheer:

They are actually coming to Greece more now than before, although it's not just Albanians anymore :p

It's mandatory in my opinion for the games to be organized or hosted by different countries rather than being stuck in Greece :shrug:.

I always look forward to the opening ceremony of the Olympics because in a way I learn something more from that country through that ceremony, about its culture, tradition etc so making a country a permanent host of the Olympics would completely put me off and as a result I would lose my interests in the games as many of others would as well in my opinion. :shrug:.

The publicity you are talking about would fade away eventually me thinks.
Read this article http://www.voanews.com/content/olympics-blamed-for-stoking-debt-crisis-in-greece/1146124.html Greek politicians are saying that it was the Olympics who started the fall of the Greek economy into recession :shrug: so having them host again would be nonsense.

Good point about the Opening Ceremony always representing that country's particular culture :yeah:

And Greece already has most of the venues so it wouldn't be much of a problem even though we obviously can't host anytime soon ;)

The bid logo is usually changed after they win.

I know they changed Athens 2004 afterwards so I hope they change these because all of them suck :help:

Lin Lin
Aug 24th, 2012, 05:18 AM
They will change is trhey win:lol:
It's bid logo,here are Beijing's bid logoand eventual logo:

http://www.yooyoo360.com/photo/2009-3-25/pic22200.jpg

http://www.zq.sd.cn/tp/news/200903/2009-3-4_20480643083.jpg

longtin23
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Madrid cant afford it obviously.
Istanbul is so unmatch with the atmosphere of Olympics. And I cant imagine they host sports like Gymnastics, Weight-lifting and volleyball. Well, will beach-volleyball players needs to wear long sleeves??

Seems to the only legit one is Tokyo, but the political situation of Japan and Korea/China is awful...

Lin Lin
Aug 24th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Istanbul is so unmatch with the atmosphere of Olympics. And I cant imagine they host sports like Gymnastics, Weight-lifting and volleyball. Well, will beach-volleyball players needs to wear long sleeves??

Seems to the only legit one is Tokyo, but the political situation of Japan and Korea/China is awful...

Don't you know Turkey's women volleyball is a world power?

and their flag-bearer is a volleyball players:wavey:The only volleyball player bearer:wavey:

http://www.chinanews.com/tp/hd2011/2012/07-28/U334P4T426D118249F16470DT20120728093511.jpg

http://www.16789.net/uploads/allimg/c120728/134343T2226010-4J07.jpg

M.S.F
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Just because it's a Muslim country doesn't mean they are conservative and apply Islamic laws.
Turkey is a secular state since its foundation in 1923.

tennislover
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Tokyo's the only one that can afford it.

right

Yashal
Aug 24th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Please no Tokyo, I will hate Rio2016 because of the time and Olympics in Japan would be even worse :help:
I love Madrid and the whole Spain, but its economic situation is quite complicated :rolleyes:
Istanbul is a nice city, I guess, it's near Italy so there wouldn't be time problems, but I don't know.
Istill prefer Madrid.

Sammo
Aug 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM
As a city I prefer Tokyo but I obviously prefer Istanbul's timezone...

Soliloque
Aug 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM

There's laicity in Turkey. Nobody will wear long sleeves.

olivero
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM

As others have already pointed out Istanbul isn't really an islamic city. There are many chicks on the streets wearing short skirts etc. Besides Turks have could athletes in weightlifting :shrug: and female volleyball team is one of the best in Europe.

Vincey!
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
As many people said doubt Madrid can afford it.
Istanbul would be a good pick, but I think there's too many things going around there at the moment to take the risk to give them such a big international event. Too close for comfort.

The only logical choice is Tokyo, kinda boring but I think it's better to be safe than sorry. London was a pretty "boring" choice as well but we got great games.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Turkey

Monica_Rules
Aug 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Well Madrid can't afford it. So its between Istanbul and Tokyo. Not sure which one really.

Qrystyna
Aug 25th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Istanbul :bounce: I think they would put on a great Olympics.

In The Zone
Aug 26th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I'd love Istanbul but I doubt it goes to Europe. It's Asia's turn since North America can't afford it.

Sam L
Aug 26th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Turkey is Asia too. :lol: And in fact, geographically speaking, that Western Asia region has never hosted Olympics. A strong argument for Istanbul.

Whereas, East Asia has already had Seoul, Beijing and Tokyo. I'm sure they're going to go with Istanbul after Rio.

Olórin
Aug 26th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Tokyo should.

Madrid can't afford it and the people on public services there are some of the most disorganised I've ever encountered. Plus Spain already had the games fairly recently in Olympic history with Barcelona.

Start da Game
Aug 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM
they will go with madrid......wait and watch......

Melange
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Well Madrid can't afford it. So its between Istanbul and Tokyo. Not sure which one really.

Just because Spain cannot afford it does not mean they wont bid for it, like that airport they built :yeah:

spiceboy
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm sure they're going to go with Istanbul after Rio.

The thing when chosing an Olympic city is that precisely "they" do not exist. The Olympic committe does not get together and choose a city, but instead each Olympic committee has a vote and votes independently. This of course gives you field for corruption, buying votes, geopolitics getting involved and so on... That's the main reason London got the Olympics with under cover politics, or Barcelona getting the Olympics to thank Samaranch (BCN was his home city) for his efforts on putting the Olympics back as a worldwide big event (BCN was chosen in 1986, barely 10 years after democracy was reinstaured in Spain...seriously, without Samaranch BCN could have only dreamt of getting the Olympics THAT early) or the scandal of Atlanta which is well known that Coca-Cola literally bought many votes to steal the centenary Olympics from Athens :facepalm:

All this said, anything can happen in Buenos Aires next year where the IOC will have their meeting to vote for the 2020 Olympic city. But one thing is sure: Madrid won't have the votes of Northern European countries as they know it will be them the ones paying for the Games after the economic rescue :oh:

Melange
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Waiting for the World Cup that Qatar bought. Its going to be hysterical having matches in 50 degrees heat unless they have the first air conditioned World Cup .

spiceboy
Aug 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
unless they have the first air conditioned World Cup .

Which they already said so.

Lin Lin
Sep 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
still to wait 4 years:awww:

Serenita
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Istanbul ftw:hearts:

Serenita
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Waiting for the World Cup that Qatar bought. Its going to be hysterical having matches in 50 degrees heat unless they have the first air conditioned World Cup .
meh they are elite atheletes. :shrug:

coluta
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Have you ever been to Istanbul? :(

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Tokyo :D

Mary Cherry.
Sep 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM

I'm still hoping that somehow falls through and they give it to the US instead :o

Lin Lin
Mar 7th, 2013, 04:36 AM
TOKYO: Tokyo deserves to host the 2020 Summer Olympics so that it can show the world how Japan has recovered since 2011's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Wednesday.

Hosting a dinner for a team from the International Olympic Committee that is evaluating Tokyo's bid for the 2020 Games, Abe said: "Japan has its narrative that inspires many. That's why we hope Tokyo will be chosen.

"It is about the disasters we endured, the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear failure. But it is also about the revitalisation," he said.

Abe, 58, who quit as premier in 2007 for health reasons, was reelected last December as his conservative party swept back to power.

"The compassion, courage and calmness of those (disaster) victims pushed me to stand again," he said.

"My hope was that by doing so I could tell the nation that anyone deserves a second chance," he said. "That's the powerful message that Tokyo 2020 can send to the whole world."

The Tokyo bid committee has plans to carry the Olympic torch through the disaster zone and stage preliminary Olympic football matches there.

Abe also said Tokyo deserves the Games as the capital of a sports-loving nation which boasts many world-record holders.

The dinner at the Akasaka Palace official guest house was attended by the 14-member team from the IOC evaluation commission and 39 Japanese guests including Princess Takamado, government ministers and medallists from last year's London Olympics and Paralympics.

On Thursday, the team, led by Britain's IOC vice president Craig Reedie, will wind up its four-day tour in which it has scrutinised Tokyo's Olympic blueprint and inspected its existing and planned facilities for 2020.

They will visit rival candidates Madrid and Istanbul later this month and draw up a report on the three bids by July for the 101 IOC members to choose the 2020 host on September 7.

In a presentation on Wednesday, the Tokyo bid committee told the panel that Tokyo's transport networks would easily be good enough to host the 2020 Olympics.

"We won't build anything in particular for the Olympics," an urban planning expert told a news conference after briefing the team on Tokyo's transportation plan.

"I explained that transport facilities, being steadily built under Tokyo's various long-term plans, will fully satisfy demand related to the Olympics," said Takayuki Kishii, a professor of engineering at Tokyo's Nihon University.

He said three new ring roads in the capital will be almost completed in a few years and a projected motorway will run by a waterfront site for the athletes' village.

Infrastructure is seen as a major factor in the selection of Olympic hosts.

The IOC gave the 2016 Summer Games to Rio de Janeiro, making it the first South American Olympic host, but the Brazilian city is said to have been slow in finalising Olympic projects.

Tokyo is the only one of the three 2020 candidates to have previously hosted the Summer Games, in 1964.

- AFP
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1258309/1/.html

juki
Mar 7th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Here are the official bid books (all large pdfs) for each city, which had to be submitted to the IOC by February 15th. Volume 1 contains info on overall concept, city heritage, political support and financial plans. Volume 2 is detailed plans for venues & Olympic Village and Volume 3 is infrastructure, transportation and safety plans.

Istanbul: Vol 1 (http://www.istanbul2020.com.tr/main/pdf/volume_1.pdf), Vol 2 (http://www.istanbul2020.com.tr/main/pdf/volume_2.pdf), Vol 3 (http://www.istanbul2020.com.tr/main/pdf/volume_3.pdf)
Tokyo: Vol 1 (http://tokyo2020.jp/en/plan/candidature/dl/tokyo2020_candidate_entire_1_enfr.pdf), Vol 2 (http://tokyo2020.jp/en/plan/candidature/dl/tokyo2020_candidate_entire_2_enfr.pdf), Vol 3 (http://tokyo2020.jp/en/plan/candidature/dl/tokyo2020_candidate_entire_3_enfr.pdf)
Madrid: Bid Book (http://www.madrid2020.es/Dossier-fr-en.pdf)

Sam L
Mar 7th, 2013, 06:50 AM
TOKYO: Tokyo deserves to host the 2020 Summer Olympics so that it can show the world how Japan has recovered since 2011's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Wednesday.

Hosting a dinner for a team from the International Olympic Committee that is evaluating Tokyo's bid for the 2020 Games, Abe said: "Japan has its narrative that inspires many. That's why we hope Tokyo will be chosen.

"It is about the disasters we endured, the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear failure. But it is also about the revitalisation," he said.

Abe, 58, who quit as premier in 2007 for health reasons, was reelected last December as his conservative party swept back to power.

"The compassion, courage and calmness of those (disaster) victims pushed me to stand again," he said.

"My hope was that by doing so I could tell the nation that anyone deserves a second chance," he said. "That's the powerful message that Tokyo 2020 can send to the whole world."

The Tokyo bid committee has plans to carry the Olympic torch through the disaster zone and stage preliminary Olympic football matches there.

Abe also said Tokyo deserves the Games as the capital of a sports-loving nation which boasts many world-record holders.

The dinner at the Akasaka Palace official guest house was attended by the 14-member team from the IOC evaluation commission and 39 Japanese guests including Princess Takamado, government ministers and medallists from last year's London Olympics and Paralympics.

On Thursday, the team, led by Britain's IOC vice president Craig Reedie, will wind up its four-day tour in which it has scrutinised Tokyo's Olympic blueprint and inspected its existing and planned facilities for 2020.

They will visit rival candidates Madrid and Istanbul later this month and draw up a report on the three bids by July for the 101 IOC members to choose the 2020 host on September 7.

In a presentation on Wednesday, the Tokyo bid committee told the panel that Tokyo's transport networks would easily be good enough to host the 2020 Olympics.

"We won't build anything in particular for the Olympics," an urban planning expert told a news conference after briefing the team on Tokyo's transportation plan.

"I explained that transport facilities, being steadily built under Tokyo's various long-term plans, will fully satisfy demand related to the Olympics," said Takayuki Kishii, a professor of engineering at Tokyo's Nihon University.

He said three new ring roads in the capital will be almost completed in a few years and a projected motorway will run by a waterfront site for the athletes' village.

Infrastructure is seen as a major factor in the selection of Olympic hosts.

The IOC gave the 2016 Summer Games to Rio de Janeiro, making it the first South American Olympic host, but the Brazilian city is said to have been slow in finalising Olympic projects.

Tokyo is the only one of the three 2020 candidates to have previously hosted the Summer Games, in 1964.

- AFP
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1258309/1/.html

The best way to help disaster areas is through donations and tourism. Not by hosting an Olympics Games. Tokyo and Japan has hosted Summer and Winter Olympics before. It's time for another nation and culture to take the limelight. Ottomania!!

http://www.greecemedtravel.com/greecemedtravel/filelibrary/productthumbnails/turkey_istanbul_02.jpg

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Not that I want something bad to happen, but I think Japan will have encounter some major natural disaster again in future.:scared:

Still stay with Turkey!:cheer:

Halardfan
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Not that I want something bad to happen, but I think Japan will have encounter some major natural disaster again in future.:scared:

Still stay with Turkey!:cheer:

But Turkey is also vulnerable to natural disaster, and must be considered more vulnerable to terrorism too.

A Tokyo Olympics could play a real role in revitalising a country still suffering in the wake of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster.

It's organisational skill, it's transport, it's safety (in terms of crime) it's spirit are all top class. Culturally it's rich history blended with its cutting edge modern nature make it hard to beat.

ys
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Given that Istanbul is a hot favorite to host final matches of Euro-2020, I think it is one of the other 2. You can't have that kind of events back-to-back in the same place.

Halardfan
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Bookmakers currently have Tokyo as favorite, Istanbul second, then Madrid. But the betting is close enough that all three have a realistic chance.

I think Madrid have a big chance personally. The Spanish speaking world represent a lot of potential votes. Plus in the London vote a few years back they did much better than expected.

LoveFifteen
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I'd love Istanbul to get it.

antonella
Mar 8th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Alot of people would love to see Istanbul get it.

In The Zone
Mar 8th, 2013, 01:00 AM
After the earthquake and everything, getting the Olympics might be the jolt Tokyo needs.

Halardfan
Mar 8th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Losing wrestling from the Olympic programme must have a been a blow to the Tokyo bid...it was a key medal earner for Japan in London and would doubtless have been in a future Tokyo games.

I can see the value of Istanbul as a choice in theory...spreading the games to every region, to all people, the immense history of the place.

Just I feel Tokyo is the best choice.

Richie's
Mar 10th, 2013, 02:28 PM
No Madrid please. No money. And I wonder how it's still standing.
No Japan. It's enough I guess.
Isnanbul is a big deal and would make a good impact despite Turkey's bad attitube in politics all these years. So, definitely Istanbul.

But I wonder who Doha and Qatar let this chance to flew away from their hands.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
It's tonight!:cheer:

Seems like it'll be between Madrid and Turkey.

Mynarco
Sep 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
At what time?

matthias
Sep 7th, 2013, 03:30 PM
as long it´s not Istanbul
don´t want the Games to another country with bad human rights

dsanders06
Sep 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's tonight!:cheer:

Seems like it'll be between Madrid and Turkey.

Really? I think it'll be Tokyo. Madrid has too many financial question-marks, and Istanbul has too many human-rights question marks.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Really? I think it'll be Tokyo. Madrid has too many financial question-marks, and Istanbul has too many human-rights question marks.

Tokyo also has the nuclear contamination issue to solve. That alone can definitely put off their chances actually. Plus they have held once before, so why not give this chance to another country?:shrug: :oh:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I'm honestly so sick of the Turkish stereotype bullshit that is out there. Its been a democracy since the 1920s so this isn't some flash in the pan democratic country. I doubt it will get it because I think the IOC wants to avoid any drama surrounding upcoming hosts and you know the first thing that will be in the media will be the Armenian Geneocide and the Kurdish rights issues.

Yeah I feel it's be Tokyo. Its has essentially no baggage either financially or politically.

Nicolás89
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I want Tokyo merely because the opening ceremony will be fucking fantastic and around 20 years ahead of what any western nation would be able to bring to this kind of event. :worship:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I was hoping for Madrid with the hope they'd get Almodovar involved in the ceremonies the way other movie directors have been.

wild.river
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
let's go turkey :cheer:

Soliloque
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Please Tokyo. Madrid or Istanbul would hurt Paris 2024 chances :oh:

matthias
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Please Tokyo. Madrid or Istanbul would hurt Paris 2024 chances :oh:

will Paris really bid?

Jajaloo
Sep 7th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I want Tokyo merely because the opening ceremony will be fucking fantastic and around 20 years ahead of what any western nation would be able to bring to this kind of event. :worship:

Yaaas! It would be amazing with Battling Seizure Robots!

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/7FXPBPruBYA/hqdefault.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071020111527/simpsons/images/d/df/ThirtyMinutesoverTokyo.jpg

matthias
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:00 PM
just watched the presentation of Istanbul, the video´s been more like a Tourism advertisement
in the end i could deal with any of the 3 bid cities
but all 3 have her flaws

hopefully 2024 brings up some better bids
like Paris vs. Capetown(100 yrs anniversary vs. first African games - would be epic)

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Please let it be Istanbul:yeah:. Istanbul is perfect for this sort of even.

Mike.
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM
No way for the games in Turkey with their human rights issues. Tokyo will be the best option and 2024 again in Europe.

serty
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:17 PM
As a Turkish citizen, I fully support Tokyo...
We absolutely do not deserve a special event like Olympics. We have no understanding of sports or sports culture. No one in the population gives a damn about Olympics. Government only wants to have the games for propaganda purpuses. Thats why the freaking 'prime minister of Turkey' left everything behind and went to Argentina. And also the ridiculous budget of 19 billion is absolutely CRAZY.. We all know what will be done to compensate that sum. :tape:

So all my mental energy for tonight is going to Tokyo. :worship:

http://j1309.hizliresim.com/1f/7/sf3nh.gif

Soliloque
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM
will Paris really bid?

Paris was supposed to but it's becoming more and more doubtful I guess. But nothing official has been said about it. There's still hope.

Rumour has it that Madrid is the frontrunner :eek:

njnetswill
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Well no matter what the result, it won't be worse than the results of the FIFA World Cup hosting vote from a couples years ago. :o

Mynarco
Sep 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM
As long as Baku isn't chosen to hold 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036....I am happy.

currie84
Sep 7th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Tokyo.

Sailing events as well as modern pentathlon to be held in the picturesque coast of Fukushima.

Just Do It
Sep 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Been to Istanbul, it's a hell of a city, but I don't think Turkish people are ready for the OG. I am hoping for Tokyo.

wild.river
Sep 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
As long as Baku isn't chosen to hold 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036....I am happy.

:hysteric: if madrid gets this one, baku might actually be a contender

Daruma.
Sep 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Madrid is out.

August
Sep 7th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Good to see Tokyo and Istanbul on the 2nd round. More interesting cities than Japan.

And didn't really want games to Fuentes and del Moral's country.

Now I prefer the country with 0 doping cases in Olympics to a country with 30 athletes caught this year.

Mike.
Sep 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM
We absolutely do not deserve a special event like Olympics. We have no understanding of sports or sports culture. No one in the population gives a damn about Olympics. Government only wants to have the games for propaganda purpuses. Thats why the freaking 'prime minister of Turkey' left everything behind and went to Argentina. And also the ridiculous budget of 19 billion is absolutely CRAZY.. We all know what will be done to compensate that sum. :tape:

Very valuable point of view :)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

matthias
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Tokyo.

Sailing events as well as modern pentathlon to be held in the picturesque coast of Fukushima.

would the radioactivity count as doping?

matthias
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM
2020 Olympic Stadium
http://www.sportsfeatures.com/PressPoint/images/img3_53429.jpg

congrats Tokyo

Hachiko
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Definitely going. :yeah:

matthias
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Madrid and Istanbul was tied on first ballot, bt Madrid lost tiebreaker

i think Istanbul will try for 2024 for sure

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Such a boring pick. But hey it should be efficient.

Yashal
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Tokyo and its awful time zone won :bigcry: I hate CIO :fiery:

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:45 PM
2020 Olympic Stadium

congrats Tokyo

This looks like a yacht or something :hysteric:.

Anyway congrats to Tokyo, was rooting for Istanbul though :oh:.

Halardfan
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Huge congratulations to Tokyo, its a thrilling city, in a wonderful country and a fully deserving winner. I hope it can be a rallying point for the rebuilding of Japan following the awful Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear disaster.

tennisboi
Sep 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM
YES!!! best city won :)

RoseStone
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I'm just glad the Olympics are being held in so many different places now!

Fantasy Hero
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
so it's tokyo 2020 :eek:

Rome has a chance for 2024 then :oh: :lol:

serty
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM

Yas. My prayers were answered. :bounce:

http://j1309.hizliresim.com/1f/8/sfftq.gif

WowWow
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Congrats Tokyo :hearts:
It's the best choice.

That stadium looks gorgeous.

Frozenn
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Istanbul 2020 was a big dream for me but well-deserved win for Tokyo. Congratulations! :)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Can Istanbul bid for 2024 cause I reckon it has a great shot at getting that one. Continental rotation will also be in its favour then.

Williamsser
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:38 PM
It's not fair for Spain to be rewarded after all the bailouts they were given. Turkey is an unstable region and their women are oppressed. Japan is the default choice.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Spanish women are oppressed??

Williamsser
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Spanish women are oppressed??

Spain Struggles to Tackle Domestic Violence

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/world/europe/24iht-spain.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last year in Spain, 73 women died at home at the hands of their partners — roughly, one every five days. That was an increase over 2009, when 55 women were killed in similar circumstances. While there is a surprising lack of comparative statistics around Europe — some countries do not keep them, while others that do keep them use different criteria — the increase in such killings in Spain flew in the face of determined government efforts to tackle what many here see as an enduring and ugly feature of their society.

“Fatalities are sadly only the tip of the iceberg in terms of how much violence actually takes place, and never even gets denounced,” said Teresa Cavanna, a lawyer specializing in domestic violence and family issues.

The Socialist government of José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero came to power seven years ago promising to shed Spain’s reputation as an ultraconservative and male-dominated society. He appointed equal numbers of men and women to his cabinet. Gay marriage became legal. Rules restricting divorce and abortion were loosened.

But efforts to protect women have fallen below expectations. “We are not doing well,” Interior Minister Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba said in October, describing the number of 2010 victims at the time — 58 — as “horrible.”

Spain’s unemployment has soared to 20 percent as part of the global financial meltdown. “The crisis is far from being the main cause of the problem, but it can certainly help precipitate violent conduct by raising stress levels within a household,” Mr. Quinteros said.

serty
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:54 PM
It's not fair for Spain to be rewarded after all the bailouts they were given. Turkey is an unstable region and their women are oppressed. Japan is the default choice.

Turkey is not a region. It is a country.

Linguae^
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I'm so happy, well done to Tokyo, although I wanted some European city (e. g. Berlin) or Africa to host the 2020 Games, out of these three Tokyo was the best choice. Hopefully 2024 goes to the aforementioned options. :)

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Berlin would be a snooze I reckon. I want something glamorous and I reckon Madrid could do glamour and pizzazz

njnetswill
Sep 7th, 2013, 10:44 PM
At least we don't have to worry about things running behind schedule like Athens and Rio, or extreme corruption like the Delhi Commonwealth Games. Tokyo is a safe bet.

Tennisation
Sep 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Istanbul needed $19 billion to build the infrastructures AND reinvent their transportantion system. Tokyo needed just $5 billion, and out of that amount, they already amassed $4.9 billion.

August
Sep 7th, 2013, 11:13 PM
2020 Olympic Stadium

congrats Tokyo

Indoor pics:

http://www.tokyoweekender.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Stadium-inside-sport.jpg

Football configuration:

http://www.stadiumguide.com/wp-content/uploads/zahahadid2.jpg

Notice the moveable seating and retractable roof in the footy pic.

Can Istanbul bid for 2024 cause I reckon it has a great shot at getting that one. Continental rotation will also be in its favour then.

6th unsuccessful bid in a row just feels like too much. I believe they could well get the next games if they don't have any political and doping scandals.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Oh have they failed to make the shortlist 5 times?? I didn't know that. :eek:

Also why the hell do countries bid when continental rotation isn't in their favour :confused:

LindsayRulz
Sep 7th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I wanted Istanbul to win but I'm not disappointed with Tokyo having it, congrats! :)

August
Sep 7th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Also why the hell do countries bid when continental rotation isn't in their favour :confused:

I sometimes really wonder that. Quite often the elected coutries have bidded in recent history. Maybe the first bid is just some promoting, 2nd bid is the real attempt. I really don't know.

Tennisation
Sep 7th, 2013, 11:47 PM
That stadium looks like a big whopping dose of radiation taking over Tokyo.

Linguae^
Sep 8th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Berlin would be a snooze I reckon. I want something glamorous and I reckon Madrid could do glamour and pizzazzNah, Olympics are not about glamour, they're about something completely different. Berlin is a city with a big tradition and it has already hosted the Games, I think. It definitely has that Olympic might, something that Madrid thoroughly lacks. When it comes to Spain, the Games were in Barcelona and it was totally deserved.
I have my own version of Olympic host cities for the upcoming Olympiads, I hope that some of them will come true. :hug:

Sam L
Sep 8th, 2013, 12:49 AM
How boring. LOL. But this will boost Paris's 2024 bid.

Lin Lin
Sep 8th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Tokyo:yeah:

Edward.
Sep 8th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Turkey can blame Erdogan for their failure. They would have won if he hadn't decided to act like a raving lunatic earlier in the year. What would have happened if unrest broke out during the Olympics? Would Erdogan have sent in his goon squads with tear gas and pepper spray? :tape:

Tokyo was by far the best choice and I'm overjoyed it won. Can't wait for the opening ceremony. :hearts:

njnetswill
Sep 8th, 2013, 01:21 AM
The current front page of elmundo.es is quite dramatic. "Un dia negro para el deporte" "Decepcion Olimpica" :lol: :hug:

Frozenn
Sep 8th, 2013, 01:25 AM

Istanbul has tried for every Olympics -except 2016- since 2000. I hope we try once again but i'm not sure this goverment is ready for another "try again" answer. This time they made really a big effort and it is the fifth slap on face.

Turkey can blame Erdogan for their failure. They would have won if he hadn't decided to act like a raving lunatic earlier in the year. What would have happened if unrest broke out during the Olympics? Would Erdogan have sent in his goon squads with tear gas and pepper spray? :tape:

Tokyo was by far the best choice and I'm overjoyed it won. Can't wait for the opening ceremony. :hearts:

Totally agree!

As a city, i think Istanbul deserves Olympics but Erdoğan's goverment definitely doesn't. Too bad we cannot seem to get rid of him in the near future. :help:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 8th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Congrats Tokyo :cheer:

Mynarco
Sep 8th, 2013, 05:50 AM
NID. I just hope the Japanese government fulfils the promise and solves the Fukushima mess asap

matthias
Sep 8th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Totally agree!

As a city, i think Istanbul deserves Olympics but Erdoğan's goverment definitely doesn't. Too bad we cannot seem to get rid of him in the near future. :help:

THIS

i guess ISTANBUL would be a great host
but i don´t want Erdogan and his Tear-Gas Army geting the games

Punky
Sep 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM

agree.

Erdogan it all for turkey, i really wanted the games there, closer, cheaper, better time zones and could travel there, japan will cost alotttttttt

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
That stadium looks like a big whopping dose of radiation taking over Tokyo.

It looks very futuristic and I like it.
I am happy for Tokyo, Japanese will make raise the bar. I hate time zone thought :sad:

Andy.
Sep 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
The time zone is awesome for Australia. Japan is a great choice. They will run a tight ship and I'm sure they will build great facilities.

pierce85
Sep 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
That football stadium in Tokyo looks atrocious, don't particularly like the choice of Tokyo . Get ready for an over blown opening ceremony

Mynarco
Sep 9th, 2013, 05:00 AM
In hindsight I cannot believe how bad the other two PVs were. They look like tourism adverts rather than OG promotion videos.

Crazy Canuck
Sep 9th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Tokyo is a good choice. They're going to have fun in that traffic, though :D I suppose Istanbul wouldn't have been any better in that regard, and they probably already offered some transportation solution involving trains that I didn't bother to read yet.

Martian Jeza
Sep 9th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Japan is as bankrupted as Greece but good choice ? Oh god :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Sep 9th, 2013, 05:47 AM
The money thing sounds a whole lot like their problem. I just want to know that the games will be safe, organized, and pretty. I trust Japan to do all of those things.

Edward.
Sep 9th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Japan controls its own money supply and has the third largest economy in the world, dumbass. It will never, ever go bankrupt.

Halardfan
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
As I've mentioned here already I am happy with the successful bid as Japan is a wonderful country and the Japanese as a whole are lovely people.

One or two worries though...the reassurances about Fukushima are hollow, the situation is far from bring under control, and even in the best scenario it's going to be an ongoing problem for decades to come.

There has to be a question mark on whether the money could have been better invested in helping those affected by the disasters Japan has faced.

In a sporting sense that climate will be a challenge for those from cooler countries...Japanese summers are extremely hot and humid, and seem to be getting worse as the years pass, with mid-30's C common this year.

But Tokyo is a wonderful city to visit, full of life and colour and spirit, and a very special part of a very special country and so I wish Japan the absolute best in this and everything else.

Sam L
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:36 AM
There has to be a question mark on whether the money could have been better invested in helping those affected by the disasters Japan has faced.

I think so too.

Hayato
Sep 9th, 2013, 09:54 AM
People will always whinge and find things to complain about when it comes to choosing the Olympic host, regardless of where it is, because it's such a big spectacle and there are potential problems anywhere. However, Tokyo was by far the best choice. It's as safe, modern and diverse as you can get. Perfect choice, can't wait! :cheer:

ivanban
Sep 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Great choice :yeah: The only concern for me is radiation :unsure:

Hayato
Sep 9th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Great choice :yeah: The only concern for me is radiation :unsure:

You can see this website, radiation levels in Tokyo updated hourly.
http://monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/en/

Not just air quality, but also fallout, tap water and food samples.

There is no more radiation in Tokyo than there is in New York, London, Paris or Beijing. In fact, according to this website (conducted by the metro government), there is even less than the aforementioned cities.

Just Do It
Sep 9th, 2013, 11:52 AM
OG will be in 2020 and you are worried about radiation and helping people affected by the Tsunami in 2011 :facepalm:
And it's Japan after all, if they didn't have money to help people affected, they would pull out of the race.

ivanban
Sep 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
OG will be in 2020 and you are worried about radiation and helping people affected by the Tsunami in 2011 :facepalm:
And it's Japan after all, if they didn't have money to help people affected, they would pull out of the race.

Dumbilo :facepalm:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/04/world/asia/japan-fukushima-crisis/index.html

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/04/fukushima-radiation-deadly-new-high

"Fukushima radiation leaks reach deadly new high

Exposure to emissions would be fatal within hours, say Japanese authorities..."

rrfnpump
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM
In a sporting sense that climate will be a challenge for those from cooler countries...Japanese summers are extremely hot and humid, and seem to be getting worse as the years pass, with mid-30's C common this year.

I live in Nagoya and summer is unbearable here. Feels like 40s with 80% humidity.. :o

But still so happy Japan got this! :hearts:

Mynarco
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:08 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/9/8/1378634012840/Tokyo-thank-you-010.jpg

The Japanese said thank you.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Doraemon :cheer:

propi
Sep 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM
The only sad thing about Tokyo is that is too expensive :p

wild.river
Sep 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
the time zone is gonna be killer. i guess i won't get much sleep those 3 weeks :p

njnetswill
Sep 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM
The only sad thing about Tokyo is that is too expensive :p

I wouldn't call London cheap either. :p

matthias
Sep 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM
the time zone is gonna be killer. i guess i won't get much sleep those 3 weeks :p

:secret: just 2 weeks

wild.river
Sep 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
:secret: just 2 weeks

my bad. although it should be 3 :lol:

Edward.
Sep 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Usain Bolt won't be there. :sad:

Lin Lin
Sep 10th, 2013, 12:05 AM
It's good for me to watch:lol: