PDA

View Full Version : Nuremberg or Leipzig/Dresden?

wayitis
Aug 21st, 2012, 01:12 AM
I will be landing in Germany in October and have 10 days to do the Frankfurt-Prague-Munich-Frankfurt route, would it be better taking the straight line through Nuremberg or a detour North through Leizig/Halle/Dresden on my way to Prague?

Is Nuremberg an interesting town or should I skip it for the other ones?

Thank you :wavey:

Jorn
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM
I has been in Leipzig 5 times for tennis tournament :)

I don't think there are much to do/see there now, if not on a messe days, they got many big Messe halle, but tennis was moved into the Leipzig Arena for the last year.

Btw, Duesseldorf and Køln/Bonn may be better towns to visit... I has been there some years ago...

matthias
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM
i guess Dresden is the most interesting city out of those

Nuremberg has the old castle and the Nazi-History
it´s up to you what you prefer

Bieselke
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Nuremberg doesn't have much too offer, but neither do Leipzig or Halle. Dresden is supposedly nice, but haven't made it there myself. Maybe an idea to do the Worms/Heidelberg area on the way back from Munchen.

Anyway, don't plan even spending a day in Frankfurt itself, really nothing to see, maybe just enough to wonder around in the evening if you have to have an early flight or something.
When dividing days between Munchen and Prague, I'd give the advantage to Praag.

azdaja
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
dresden is definitely worth a visit, i can only recommend it.

wayitis
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much for the information, guys :wavey: !

I wasn't intending to spend much time in Frankfurt, but will probably spend 6 to 7 days between Prague and Munich and will have a few spare days to be somewhere else along the way, that is why I thought of Nuremberg or Dresden... Kohln/Bonn are kind of out of the way up North, but I could take a detour to Baden-Baden/Stuttgart if it's a better option than Dresden or Nuremberg... :shrug: .. Thanks!

TigerTim
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
so much history in those cities

kwilliams
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:10 PM
I visited Nuremberg a few years ago and I was in Dresden earlier this year.

Nuremberg is great because what is within the walls is (or at least looks) fairly authentic and uniform. It has preserved or rebuilt its old town quite nicely. There's a certain quaintness to it and also a certain refined kind of grandeur. The castle's really nice, I think it's called the Kaiserhof. There are a few nice churches and other points of interest in the city. I'd definitely recommend visiting the Nuremberg Rally grounds. The Zeppelin Tribune is still there and it is relatively intact. You can walk by the pulpit where Hitler delivered his speeches. I couldn't stand in the exact spot. It just felt wrong! However when my friend and I were walking down below the tribune a man stood on the pulpit, half-turned back to his wife and then started gesturing out toward the fields (as in holding his right arm up and flailing it about ever so slightly!) It was so cringe-worthy/inappropriately funny. It hadn't been able to bring myself to stand on the pulpit but this man was actually standing up there and holding his arm up. It was such a facepalm moment! The museum near the rally grounds is REALLY, REALLY good. I think it's called the Dokumentation-something-or-other. I really enjoyed visiting it anyway.

Dresden is really nice. The old town has been faithfully restored. The Frauenkirche is beautiful both inside and out and the view from the top of the dome is great. The Zwinger Palace is Catholic Hofkirche are lovely too. There's an interesting museum near the Music Academy. There seem to be opera singers who perform in the little tunnel under the town hall, near the Catholic Hofkirche. I think they are usually there in the late evenings. Don't try the Mexican restaurant in the student area. It was a bit of a let-down!!

I'd love to go to Leipzig, the government building there (I think it's an administrative building for the Brandenburg region or something like that) looks beautiful! I do get the impression that it has less to offer than Dresden or Nuremberg would, though.

There are good bus links between Prague and Dresden. Buses take about two hours. I'd imagine that Nuremberg might be fairly well connected. I don't think it'd be worth diverting north though, to be perfectly honest. Dresden isn't THAT much better than N'berg.

I didn't enjoy Frankfurt that much. If time is an issue and you have to give one city less time than others - give Frankfurt the least time. Aside from the skyscrapers and the Rommerplatz there didn't seem to be that much to see or do. There was one thing I think I missed out on, though. The views from the top of the Main Tower are great too!