PDA

View Full Version : China/Japan dispute becoming dangerous

Halardfan
Aug 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Don't know how much play this is getting in the west, but rows here in Asia over the sovereignty of certain Islands are really threatening to get out of control.

China is a key player in many of the disputes, as is Japan, but numerous countries are involved and developments are very worrying.

Most recently a dispute over the Senkaku Islands has erupted with first Chinese activists going to the islands to make a show of claiming them for China, then Japanese nationalists landing in turn and erecting Japanese flags.

This has caused anti-Japanese rioting in China, with Japanese made cars being attacked...

Like most such disputes I don't think there is a nice easy answer to who has the valid claim.

Just I would hope that in this and all such disputes cool heads prevail, and that we don't let the extreme nationalists on all sides dictate the agenda.

The background is worrying...living in Japan I was surprised by the extent to which an anti-Chinese feeling is the norm. Of course polls show it is mirrored by widespread anti-Japanese feeling in China.

In short it's a very dangerous mess.

TigerTim
Aug 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM
well history gives reason for the huge hatred. The Pacific region is now premier in geopolitics.

China, America, Russia (to a extent), Japan, the Korean Peninsular, the various disputes over the South China Sea, vast populations in Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia, all in all a interesting mix.

http://timemilitary.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/south_china_sea_claims.jpeg

njnetswill
Aug 20th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Korea and Japan were just having a spat a few weeks ago and before that it was China and the Philippines. No one really has the authority to settle the competing claims so it seems like this will continue forever. I don't know if any country is willing to go to war over this though. China has the ambition to claim all the islands but knows that it doesn't want to trigger an increase in US military presence in its own backyard.

Frode
Aug 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Is there any country China don't have a dispute with in the area?

TigerTim
Aug 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Fiji

Halardfan
Aug 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Fiji

To be fair though Japan too is involved in multiple disputes, with both the Koreas, China, Taiwan, Russia.

It's partly national pride, it's partly the prospect of natural resources that have all these countries scrambling for land.

Add to the mix unresolved tensions from the second world war, and it's very dangerous.

Lin Lin
Aug 20th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Dangerous?I don't think so:lol:

Halardfan
Aug 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Yet were there not anti-Japanese demonstrations the other day? I saw them on the news here in Japan, people were smashing up things that were Japanese made. It was extensively featured here on Japanese news bulletins. There are long standing issues between China and Japan that need resolving once and for all in a positive way.

PhilePhile
Aug 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Taiwan!

"Taiwan-China ties in South China Sea concern US" (http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2012/06/06/2003534621) By J. Michael Cole / Staff reporter Wed, Jun 06, 2012. taipeitimes.com

A "unified" China?

Frank Jacobs (http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/221-greater-china-made-in-taiwan) on December 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/roc_administrative_and_claims.jpg

The events ...

RUSSIAN COAST GUARD FIRES AT CHINESE BOAT
iM50V0p5kmY

Chinese sailors released - China Take May 23 - BONTV [North Korea]
4IaoHk6i9VU

Anger Mounts in S[outh]Korea-China Fishing Dispute
gmEg5OivR4Q

Anti-China protest continues inside Hanoi, Sunday June 12th 2011 [Vietnam]
2o1Z2hAO8vY

ANTI-CHINA PROTEST SUPPORTED BY FILIPINO CHINESE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
2A-BcUnSfFk

China spruces up highway to Aksai, India moves troops [India]
NfeaO77zQpA

New anti-China protest in Yokahama [Japan]
oWoA8iVzXnQ

njnetswill
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The Republic of China (Taiwan)'s land claims are absurd. It makes the PRC's squabbles over small islands look very reasonable in comparison.

Sammo
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Don't know how much play this is getting in the west, but rows here in Asia over the sovereignty of certain Islands are really threatening to get out of control.

China is a key player in many of the disputes, as is Japan, but numerous countries are involved and developments are very worrying.

Most recently a dispute over the Senkaku Islands has erupted with first Chinese activists going to the islands to make a show of claiming them for China, then Japanese nationalists landing in turn and erecting Japanese flags.

This has caused anti-Japanese rioting in China, with Japanese made cars being attacked...

Like most such disputes I don't think there is a nice easy answer to who has the valid claim.

Just I would hope that in this and all such disputes cool heads prevail, and that we don't let the extreme nationalists on all sides dictate the agenda.

The background is worrying...living in Japan I was surprised by the extent to which an anti-Chinese feeling is the norm. Of course polls show it is mirrored by widespread anti-Japanese feeling in China.

:hysteric::spit:

Mynarco
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
It's unsolvable.

olivero
Aug 20th, 2012, 02:44 PM

:spit: so stupid...

M.P
Aug 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Japaness, they try to steal everything from China and Korea, but got all the American support :mad:

kwilliams
Aug 20th, 2012, 04:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokdo

Dokdo/Takeshima. Quite a bone of contention between Korea and Japan...they're just a couple of jagged rocks but Korea put a little base on it in the early 90s and sent a couple of people to live there. They are claimed for territory and fishing reasons but there is some suggestion that there may be gas deposits in the area. For the average Korean it seems mostly a matter of pride/territory. They do look to be a little closer to Korea than Japan.

I didn't like what Park Jong-woo did at the Olympics though.

Super Dave
Aug 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Ironically, there was a great Little League World Series game on last night between Chinese Taipei and Japan :yeah:

F4tXqWWnJLI

LeonHart
Aug 21st, 2012, 01:52 AM
Taiwan!

"Taiwan-China ties in South China Sea concern US" (http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2012/06/06/2003534621) By J. Michael Cole / Staff reporter Wed, Jun 06, 2012. taipeitimes.com

A "unified" China?

Frank Jacobs (http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/221-greater-china-made-in-taiwan) on December 17, 2007, 11:32 AM
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/roc_administrative_and_claims.jpg

The events ...

RUSSIAN COAST GUARD FIRES AT CHINESE BOAT
iM50V0p5kmY

Chinese sailors released - China Take May 23 - BONTV [North Korea]
4IaoHk6i9VU

Anger Mounts in S[outh]Korea-China Fishing Dispute
gmEg5OivR4Q

Anti-China protest continues inside Hanoi, Sunday June 12th 2011 [Vietnam]
2o1Z2hAO8vY

ANTI-CHINA PROTEST SUPPORTED BY FILIPINO CHINESE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
2A-BcUnSfFk

China spruces up highway to Aksai, India moves troops [India]
NfeaO77zQpA

New anti-China protest in Yokahama [Japan]
oWoA8iVzXnQ

WTF are you smoking. Most Taiwanese hate the Chinese for obvious reasons, and the territorial dispute is: ROC claims Taiwan and PRC claims Taiwan. That's the big one of out all these small disputes :spit:

LeonHart
Aug 21st, 2012, 01:58 AM

Lin Lin, your national newspaper wrote: “The reluctance to resort to military means doesn’t mean China is afraid of war.”

You don't think that implies something?

LeonHart
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:03 AM
Japaness, they try to steal everything from China and Korea, but got all the American support :mad:

Korea really has no evidence to back up the claims that they own Dokdo. That is why they continually reject having it resolved in court. It is a completely different story than the DiaoYuTai Islands.

LeonHart
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:14 AM
FYI If China and Japan do go to war, Japan will not have to worry about South Korea or Taiwan to be honest. If South Korea sides with China it will leave an imbalance between itself and North Korea, and if Taiwan sides with China...well we all know that's not happening, not even under President Ma :lol: Plus the fact that South Korea, Japan and Taiwan are all staunch US Allies. China will find itself isolated with no one to turn to.

LeonHart
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:45 AM
The Republic of China (Taiwan)'s land claims are absurd. It makes the PRC's squabbles over small islands look very reasonable in comparison.

Why? Both the PRC and ROC recognize the islands as part of "Taiwan, Yilan County." Essentially they have the same argument against Japan, so I don't understand what's so absurd when compared to each other.

LeonHart
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:54 AM
Ironically, there was a great Little League World Series game on last night between Chinese Taipei and Japan :yeah:

F4tXqWWnJLI

Taiwanese people and Japanese people have great relations with each other. It's only the KMT party that causes unnecessary conflicts with the Japanese. ;)

cowsonice
Aug 21st, 2012, 03:05 AM
FYI If China and Japan do go to war, Japan will not have to worry about South Korea or Taiwan to be honest. If South Korea sides with China it will leave an imbalance between itself and North Korea, and if Taiwan sides with China...well we all know that's not happening, not even under President Ma :lol: Plus the fact that South Korea, Japan and Taiwan are all staunch US Allies. China will find itself isolated with no one to turn to.

You forgot Russia.

Whatever. The US is extremely hesitant to go against China. Mutually assured (economic) destruction.

Taiwan will never gain its independence. Simple UN principles. :shrug:
China is part of the big 5, Security Council approves countries' applications for recognition.

But Taiwan and Chinese relations have cooled down though. It's been flaring up again but ever since China sent those pandas over, it hasn't been as rocky.

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 03:32 AM
Good read:lol:

Keadz
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:54 AM
Lots of countries make ridiculous claims with maritime boundaries and land disputes.

Look how much of Antarctica Australia claims :lol: Recognized by U.K, Norway, New Zealand and France, disputed by Japan so they can kill some whales around the ocean there.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Antarctica,_Australia_territorial_claim.svg/250px-Antarctica,_Australia_territorial_claim.svg.png

We also screwed over East Timor when they became independent so we could get access the resources in the Timor Sea.

Lin Lin
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:03 AM
Wow!:lol:

Lin Lin
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Interesting development:lol:

KingDocy
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/world/asia/u-s-and-japan-agree-on-missile-defense-system.html?ref=asia&_r=0

Not very clever I think, even if they emphasize it's not against China, North Korea is a chinese ally. So it will provoke China as well, for sure.

Lin Lin
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM
The United States and Japan announced a major agreement Monday to deploy a second, advanced missile-defense radar on Japanese territory – an effort specifically designed to counter the North Korean threat but likely to anger China.

Nice move by the US:yeah:

Jyqingqing
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM
US won't help Japan.The only thing they'd like to do is to stir up the conflicts between China and Japn.They just want the war and then they can earn money by selling munitions to solve their economic crisis. Just like what they did in World War II.

PhilePhile
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/world/asia/u-s-and-japan-agree-on-missile-defense-system.html?ref=asia&_r=0

Not very clever I think, even if they emphasize it's not against China, North Korea is a chinese ally. So it will provoke China as well, for sure.

It's more about Russia. Japan, like Turkey, is just a tool for the U.S.A. Russia does not mind a strong continental Europe and a strong East Asia economically because they can :lol: their way to the banks.

Does this map look threatening to the U.S.A. and the U.K. ?

Source: schillerinstitute.org (http://www.schillerinstitute.org/fid_97-01/fid_landbridge_map.html)
http://www.schillerinstitute.org/graphics/maps/eurasia_full.jpg

*JR*
Sep 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
54 years later, Quemoy and Matsu redux. :scared:

http://nsarchive.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/new-picture.png

dybbuk
Sep 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I'm so over all these fights. I really like the idea of all the stupid little islands (Dokdo/Takeshima especially) being turned into protected wildlife reserves claimed by neither country. There's such overfishing problems it would help and maybe it could cool the stupid xenophobic bickering. At the very least I like the idea of a sort of "If you can't agree, neither of you get it" approach. Both Japan and Korea annoy the hell out of me with it.

There's just so many stupid fights. Don't let us forget Koreas bitching about it being called the Sea of Japan instead of the East Sea on basically all international maps. They have absolutely 0 chance of convincing the international community to start calling it the East Sea, but they still whine about it because so many Koreans view it being called the Sea of Japan as a national slight.

Halardfan
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I was always sceptical about the idea of holocaust denial laws, but I think a similar law could be valuable in relation to events like the Nanjing massacre and the so-called comfort women.

Japanese nationalists play down such events, in some cases denying they happened at all, and this is incredibly destructive. Maybe there is a case for shaping a definitive truth of these events that it would be illegal to deny?

Equally the Chinese and South Korean governments need to stop exploiting and feeding anti Japanese sentiment before it escalates to a situation that can't be controlled.

In different ways I blame all sides, there is dangerous nationalism at work, and it keeps escalating. From my experience in Japan, I'm shocked by how anti-Chinese many Japanese are. Likewise I'm shocked by the stupid anti-Japanese riots in China.

*JR*
Sep 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM
In different ways I blame all sides, there is dangerous nationalism at work, and it keeps escalating. From my experience in Japan, I'm shocked by how anti-Chinese many Japanese are. Likewise I'm shocked by the stupid anti-Japanese riots in China.

Some responsibility goes back to 1853, when US Commodore Matthew Perry (http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/japan/japanworkbook/modernhist/perry.html) sailed into Tokyo Harbor, to persuade Japan to trade with the West (but with coercion "in his vest pocket").

Japan needed 2B left alone as a purely regional player until IT was ready to engage with the world; as it was, they assimilated the military technology and tactics of the West so well as to beat the Rooskies in a regional war 52 years later.

Of course the Bloody Brits fucked up China in the Opium Wars (http://www.sacu.org/opium2.html) (as the occupied Irish could have warned them would happen) :tape: so there's plenty of Western guilt to go around.

Halardfan
Sep 18th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Some responsibility goes back to 1853, when US Commodore Matthew Perry (http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/japan/japanworkbook/modernhist/perry.html) sailed into Tokyo Harbor, to persuade Japan to trade with the West (but with coercion "in his vest pocket").

Japan needed 2B left alone as a purely regional player until IT was ready to engage with the world; as it was, they assimilated the military technology and tactics of the West so well as to beat the Rooskies in a regional war 52 years later.

Of course the Bloody Brits fucked up China in the Opium Wars (http://www.sacu.org/opium2.html) (as the occupied Irish could have warned them would happen) :tape: so there's plenty of Western guilt to go around.

Absolutely there is plenty for western nations to be guilty about and I agree without reservation about the Opium wars, a shameful episode. Several nations treated China shamefully at that time Britain leading among them. Yet polls show that a majority of Chinese hold a positive view of Britain.

Much more negative is their view of Japan. In turn Japanese views of China are even more negative.

I can see the historical reasons why many Chinese people hold ill will towards the Japanese. I understand Japanese dislike of the Chinese authorities. I'm more mystified about the hostility of many Japanese people towards even ordinary Chinese people. Some of the laws imposed on people of Chinese origin here are frankly racist. Also China seems to be much more blameless in the historical Japan/China relationship as far as I can see it.

Japan has apologized many times, but it has always been undermined by nationalists afterwards, by revisionists downplaying Japan's wrongs in the war. Likewise China's government exploits these issues distracting from it's own internal problems. There needs to be a final treaty, a final drawing of the line, admitting guilt unreservedly on the Japanese side, China stopping exploiting it on their side. I'm very dubious about the American role in the whole region today, it's talk of being a Pacific power, an excuse for excerciding a control it would never allow China to do.

dybbuk
Sep 18th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Absolutely there is plenty for western nations to be guilty about and I agree without reservation about the Opium wars, a shameful episode. Several nations treated China shamefully at that time Britain leading among them. Yet polls show that a majority of Chinese hold a positive view of Britain.

Much more negative is their view of Japan. In turn Japanese views of China are even more negative.

I can see the historical reasons why many Chinese people hold I'll will towards the Japanese. I understand Japanese dislike of the Chinese authorities. I'm more mystified about the hostility of many Japanese people towards even ordinary Chinese people. Some of the laws imposed on people of Chinese origin here are frankly racist. Also China seems to be much more blameless in the historical Japan/China relationship as far as I can see it.

Japan has apologized many times, but it has always been undermined by nationalists afterwards, by revisionists downplaying Japan's wrongs in the war. Likewise China's government exploits these issues distracting from it's own internal problems. There needs to be a final treaty, a final drawing of the line, admitting guilt unreservedly on the Japanese side, China stopping exploiting it on their side.

The textbook revisionism and the Nanjing and Comfort Women deniers are the main things holding Japan back from having moral superiority on these issues. Without any doubt the Chinese and Korean authorities LIVE to stir up xenophobia towards Japan. One only needs to look at Lee Myung-Bak who has spent much of this past year making ridiculous assertions, trying to bolster his party on the basis of anti-Japanese sentiments. Japan has most definitely apologized enough and to continue to hold the Japanese hostage to things their great-great grandparents did is ludicrous. But on the other hand the Japanese shoot themselves in the foot with the ridiculous lies in their textbooks and outright denials. They need to make sure they stop the textbook problems and also make it very clear that Nanjing deniers are the crazy outliers. They also need to stop with the Yasakuni Shrine business. If they could get the crazies under control they could really pressure the Chinese and Koreans back with their emotional blackmail.

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Island plans by Tokyo's nationalist governor may stoke fresh China tensions

By Antoni Slodkowski
and Junko Fujita
Posted 2012/10/03 at 11:42 pm EDT

TOKYO, Oct. 3, 2012 (Reuters) — Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara, a fiery nationalist :boxing: whose failed bid to buy a group of disputed islands ignited a crisis with China, is pushing ahead with a plan to build structures there to hammer home Japan's claim, officials involved told Reuters.

Although such a move is not imminent, it would be certain to strain Japan's already shaky relations with China and could prompt a rebuke from the Obama administration, which has urged both sides to ease tensions by setting aside the dispute.

Ishihara's gambit appears aimed at forcing a new showdown in the island dispute with China. It is based on the view that Japan's main opposition -- the conservative Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) -- is likely to take power in an election in the coming months and that it would be receptive to his hard-line policies, two officials close to Ishihara said.

Read more: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre89307e-us-japan-china-islands

Halardfan
Oct 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Island plans by Tokyo's nationalist governor may stoke fresh China tensions

By Antoni Slodkowski
and Junko Fujita
Posted 2012/10/03 at 11:42 pm EDT

TOKYO, Oct. 3, 2012 (Reuters) — Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara, a fiery nationalist :boxing: whose failed bid to buy a group of disputed islands ignited a crisis with China, is pushing ahead with a plan to build structures there to hammer home Japan's claim, officials involved told Reuters.

Although such a move is not imminent, it would be certain to strain Japan's already shaky relations with China and could prompt a rebuke from the Obama administration, which has urged both sides to ease tensions by setting aside the dispute.

Ishihara's gambit appears aimed at forcing a new showdown in the island dispute with China. It is based on the view that Japan's main opposition -- the conservative Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) -- is likely to take power in an election in the coming months and that it would be receptive to his hard-line policies, two officials close to Ishihara said.

Read more: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre89307e-us-japan-china-islands

Both sides, in their own way are exploiting these events and idiotic nationalism is on the rise.

Ishihara is front and centre in this...his original plan to buy and develop the island are what forced the governments hand into buying it instead of him.

Meanwhile the Chinese government has exploited legitimate historical grievances for its own ends.

No one really seems to think of the possible end results of all this. Everyone wants the last word to satisfy their pride. The risks of conflict remain.

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM

Ishihara is front and centre in this...his original plan to buy and develop the island are what forced the governments hand into buying it instead of him.

He sounds like a new... Hideki Tojo (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWtojo.htm). :scared:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/14/tokyo_s_hawkish_governor_stirs_the_pot

LeRoy.
Oct 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Can any of China's neighboring countries stand her these days ? Keep your attitude in check China.

Halardfan
Oct 5th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Can any of China's neighboring countries stand her these days ? Keep your attitude in check China.

Yet there is truth in that for Japan too. They are involved in Island disputes with China, Taiwan and South Korea.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

Halardfan
Oct 5th, 2012, 12:51 AM
He sounds like a new... Hideki Tojo (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWtojo.htm). :scared:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/14/tokyo_s_hawkish_governor_stirs_the_pot

What Ishihara and your friend Hashimoto are both doing is exploiting the legitimate concerns of Japan's people and using them for their own ends.

There is a feeling in Japan that for too long they have been seen as a soft touch by their neighbours, that when election time rolls around say in South Korea, or the Chinese government has domestic troubles, both countries target Japan as a distraction.

There is truth in that.

But Ishihara and Hashimoto offer no solutions.

Tragically the Japanese people, weary of corrupt and impotent politicians, are turning to populists who promise everything yet may be far worse than what they already have.

Naturally the situation is mirrored in China, South Korea and Taiwan, all have their own versions of Ishihara and Hashimoto.

I love Japan so much, but its because I love it I'm so particularly dismayed by the likes of Ishihara and Hashimoto.

*JR*
Oct 5th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Tragically the Japanese people, weary of corrupt and impotent politicians, are turning to populists who promise everything yet may be far worse than what they already have.

Naturally the situation is mirrored in China, South Korea and Taiwan, all have their own versions of Ishihara and Hashimoto.

I love Japan so much, but its because I love it I'm so particularly dismayed by the likes of Ishihara and Hashimoto.

So does the DPRK; his name is Kim Jong Un. :p Anyhow, Ishi is 80 and not after national office. As 42 yo Hashi just moved from running the Osaka Prefecture to the city itself within the past year, he's got to prove himself in that job first.

I guess if he can succeed in uniting them (into the kind of metro your pal Boris Johnson heads in London) :D Toru can be a strong PM after that. Again, a PM (or a US President) has 2B willing to nationalize :armed: the cleanup of a Fukushima disaster, or a BP oil gusher.

Halardfan
Oct 5th, 2012, 03:41 AM
So does the DPRK; his name is Kim Jong Un. :p Anyhow, Ishi is 80 and not after national office. As 42 yo Hashi just moved from running the Osaka Prefecture to the city itself within the past year, he's got to prove himself in that job first.

I guess if he can succeed in uniting them (into the kind of metro your pal Boris Johnson heads in London) :D Toru can be a strong PM after that. Again, a PM (or a US President) has 2B willing to nationalize :armed: the cleanup of a Fukushima disaster, or a BP oil gusher.

But Hashimoto has turned his party into a national party, and his party if not him could well play a role in the next Japanese government. He says he has a job to finish in Osaka but his party is built around him, so he surely will have a role somewhere, perhaps as a kingmaker for the "Liberal Democrat" leader Abe. Abe holds revisionist views over issues like the comfort women in Korea, which Hashimoto has mirrored. A dangerous combination.

The only encouraging thing is that his initially remarkable performance in the polls has waned recently.

Evidence perhaps that while the Japanese people are desperate for change, many still have the good sense to be scared of Hashimoto.

Halardfan
Nov 28th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Seems to be boiling up again, with China declaring its control of the airspace over the disputed islands and everyone else ignoring that. The potential for an accidental escalation is significant, and terribly dangerous.

dybbuk
Nov 28th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I still don't think anything will come from this. People have been worrying and scaremongers like The Economist have been suggesting it'll happen, but it won't. They both stand to lose too much. They both just have to show strength so they can save face.

mykarma
Nov 28th, 2013, 11:18 PM

I heard about it and thanks for the update. Keep us informed.

Halardfan
Nov 29th, 2013, 02:24 AM
I still don't think anything will come from this. People have been worrying and scaremongers like The Economist have been suggesting it'll happen, but it won't. They both stand to lose too much. They both just have to show strength so they can save face.

In terms of either side intentionally starting a conflict I agree, but with various Military aircraft flying around, the potential for misunderstanding and accident is there.

Halardfan
Nov 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
I heard about it and thanks for the update. Keep us informed.

Thanks. It feels like a worrying situation.

LeonHart
Nov 29th, 2013, 02:47 AM
So far...US, Japan and South Korea have flown military aircraft through the disputed ADIZ without a quip from China. Good on them. This makes China look very weak. Looks like their plan may have backfired.