PDA

View Full Version : Eczema

pancake
Aug 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Anyone who has eczema here? How do/did you deal with it? How bad is yours?

eck
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I don't have it, I don't think. But I have chicken skin, and it really sucks :tears:

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 18th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Anyone who has eczema here? How do/did you deal with it? How bad is yours?
I think I have one in between of my fingers.:o (not sure if that is considered as eczema but seeing the symptoms of it I believe it is). :o Luckily it's just small area. Damn itchy and feel like dry scaly skin. No idea how it happens.:o

I don't have it, I don't think. But I have chicken skin, and it really sucks :tears:
I think I have on my upper arm and thighs.:lol: :tape:

Pops Maellard
Aug 18th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Had it for years. It's worst in winter :p. Used to get it really bad as a kid. Not so bad now, but still get it occasionally in remote areas ;).

These days it's mild enough that when I get it I don't use creams or anything. I just go cold turkey and wait for it to pass.

taloki
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Oh man. I've had it since I was a little kid - everywhere.
I think my flare-ups are linked to stress/not enough sleep. I have no clue though... the dermatologists that i've seen just prescribe topical steroid creams and tell you the importance of moisturising, lol.

It's ok now - I have to moisturise daily or my skin gets too dry... but I still have fugly scars :awww: dunno if they'll ever fade tbh.

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 07:34 AM

I actually had to google chicken skin to know what it is lol, but is chicken skin itchy?

I think I have one in between of my fingers.:o (not sure if that is considered as eczema but seeing the symptoms of it I believe it is). :o Luckily it's just small area. Damn itchy and feel like dry scaly skin. No idea how it happens.:o

I think I have on my upper arm and thighs.:lol: :tape:

Do you have blisters on your fingers? If you do I guess you'd better go see a doctor because it could be troublesome :o. But I guess your hands are just too dry lol.

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Had it for years. It's worst in winter :p. Used to get it really bad as a kid. Not so bad now, but still get it occasionally in remote areas ;).

These days it's mild enough that when I get it I don't use creams or anything. I just go cold turkey and wait for it to pass.

I actually did NOT have eczema when I was a kid. I mean when my skin got dry then I felt a tiny bit itchy, but after I put some cream on it it would be ok. But then I got it when I was... 15 I think, and it's such a nightmare.

What creams do you think are good if you have to use some?

I think my flare-ups are linked to stress/not enough sleep. I have no clue though... the dermatologists that i've seen just prescribe topical steroid creams and tell you the importance of moisturising, lol.

It's ok now - I have to moisturise daily or my skin gets too dry... but I still have fugly scars :awww: dunno if they'll ever fade tbh.

:hug:
I was very reluctant to see dermatologists for eczema because they just make it better for a very short period, but then I got other problems so :o. It's ironic that stress might be one of the reasons for flare-ups because it's hard to relax when you see hideous rashes or feel extremely itchy. And moisturizing can be not so fun in summer imo.

The scars are the worst tho. I think they will fade, it just takes years :o.

eck
Aug 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I actually had to google chicken skin to know what it is lol, but is chicken skin itchy?

Nope.
It's not painful/itchy. It just doesn't look pretty.

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Nope.
It's not painful/itchy. It just doesn't look pretty.

Oh, nothing can make them disappear?

eck
Aug 18th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I dunno, it could be because I love bathing in super hot water. Maybe that's why, so I'm trying to tone down the temperature.

Trying some creams, but I should consult a dermatologist. :angel:
I think it's chicken skin, but I could also be wrong. Might be something else, but to me it really does look like it.

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I dunno, it could be because I love bathing in super hot water. Maybe that's why, so I'm trying to tone down the temperature.

I think it's chicken skin, but I could also be wrong. Might be something else, but to me it really does look like it.

Oh, super hot water is not doing anything good to your skin, how long do you bath for?

But yet consulting a dermatologist will be good, most of them are just not so helpful but I guess you'd know what it is on your skin.

taloki
Aug 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I used to shower with super hot water - before I knew how bad it was for the skin. :lol:
It feels SO good though... cos it dulls your itchiness and it's hard not to use hot water during winter.

This may sound stupid, but I don't think I know how to bathe? :spit: I just stick with my showers.
I've heard it's better for your skin to have a bath instead of showering though, apparently you lose less moisture?

I hate moisturising in winter (or when it is cold)... you have to strip naked to apply the cream and it just feels cold and icky.

Serenus Christ
Aug 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Use a shower brush and apple cider vinegar.

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I used to shower with super hot water - before I knew how bad it was for the skin. :lol:
It feels SO good though... cos it dulls your itchiness and it's hard not to use hot water during winter.

This may sound stupid, but I don't think I know how to bathe? :spit: I just stick with my showers.
I've heard it's better for your skin to have a bath instead of showering though, apparently you lose less moisture?

I hate moisturising in winter (or when it is cold)... you have to strip naked to apply the cream and it just feels cold and icky.

I just think bathing is a bit dirty, you know. I was told that before you bathe you should totally get a quick shower tho. And yet people say that taking a shower will somehow more likely to irritate your skin or make it dryer or something. Once I went to a dermatologist and he told me now to take one more than FIVE minutes.

I basically hate moisturizing in general. In summer coz I live in Hong Kong it will be too humid (my skin still dry tho) and in winter unless after shower or I feel super dry I don't apply any lotions or creams on my body coz as you say it feels cold, and it just feels it's glue to your skin and your clothes...

I do take some supplement pills tho.

JamieOwen3
Aug 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I used to have it really bad when I was a kid and the creams I would get would be all slimy and I couldn't have it on my fingers at all being a kid and stuff :lol:. These days when it gets worse I use canesten

http://www.mistrys.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/canesten_hc_cream_30g.jpg

but E45 is also good, Canesten just works faster IMO.

http://www.reflexpainmanagement.com/images/categories/E45Cream.jpeg

Pops Maellard
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
What creams do you think are good if you have to use some?

I used to use Chickweed Gel when I was a kid. It really stung, but it worked :).

http://realitywired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/e68aanigif_enhanced-buzz-26096-1326560486-1.gif.gif

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I used to have it really bad when I was a kid and the creams I would get would be all slimy and I couldn't have it on my fingers at all being a kid and stuff :lol:. These days when it gets worse I use canesten

but E45 is also good, Canesten just works faster IMO.

It seems the canesten cream contains steroids? Not that I care much coz I used some really strong ones in the past years but I try to be more careful now as some doctors warned me before I would regret using it so much one day. I now use Elosone Ointment (yes it has steroids :o) but the dermatologist told me it's a 'comparably safer' one.

E45 Cream seems good tho, I looked it up and seems people using it like it a lot. But it's not sold in HK. Sucks.

I used to use Chickweed Gel when I was a kid. It really stung, but it worked :).

http://realitywired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/e68aanigif_enhanced-buzz-26096-1326560486-1.gif.gif

Again I don't think I can find Chickweed Gel easily in HK :o. How it stings tho? Like the 'sting-but-feel-good-later' sting or just, painful sting?

I am now using creams of some real commercial brands, like Cetaphil and Physiogel. Cetaphil Cleanser looks like cum tho, and maybe it's just me, it stings a tiny little bit whenever I use it. Physiogel AI Cream is good but way too oily, and coz my skin is bad I can finish one tube in TWO days and it's like US$15 so... kind of expensive.

Anyone tried Aquaphor / Curel Itch Defense lotion before? I am going to try out this one tho:
http://www.bumpstobabes.com/EShop/templates/prodImages/2518l.jpg

Pops Maellard
Aug 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM
^Definitely hurts but feels good later. And I was really little when my Mum used it on me. I might remember the stinging worse than it actually was :).

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
^Definitely hurts but feels good later. And I was really little when my Mum used it on me. I might remember the stinging worse than it actually was :).

http://www.healthpost.co.nz/productimages/LARGE/449.jpg

This one?

Pops Maellard
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM
That looks right :).

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
That looks right :).

I guess I have to ask everyone who's going to Australia or New Zealand to get one for me then :lol:. I take Evening Primrose Oil Capsules too, I know it's normally for women but it's said to moisturize your skin.

Kuilli
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
One thing that really helped me years ago when I had serious problems with my skin was Florasone. I had tried many creams and nothing helped, and I tried to stay away from cortisone/synthetic steroid creams since they are not good for the skin even if they do help. Florasone is a natural product, and it really made a difference for me.
It was available in Whole Foods stores in US, plus drugstore.com and other places. It's also available in UK. Not sure about HK.

http://pics3.drugstore.com/prodimg/30626/300.jpg

http://www.drugstore.com/boericke-and-tafel-florasone-maximum-strength-cardiospermum-cream/qxp30626?catid=195677

JamieOwen3
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yes I only apply Canesten very light and thinly on my skin and it's great. Sudocrem is a popular cream to use on babies here. Nappy rash like it says on the tub. If only you were able to get E45 because it really is a good one also. Sudocrem should help you out though :)

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:08 PM
One thing that really helped me years ago when I had serious problems with my skin was Florasone. I had tried many creams and nothing helped, and I tried to stay away from cortisone/synthetic steroid creams since they are not good for the skin even if they do help. Florasone is a natural product, and it really made a difference for me.
It was available in Whole Foods stores in US, plus drugstore.com and other places. It's also available in UK. Not sure about HK.

http://pics3.drugstore.com/prodimg/30626/300.jpg

http://www.drugstore.com/boericke-and-tafel-florasone-maximum-strength-cardiospermum-cream/qxp30626?catid=195677

I checked and it seems I can buy Florasone in HK! And it seems it's not expensive too. But I will be asking my friends visiting US to get me one lol. I know some creams can be harmful if used for a long time but sometimes it's just very frustrating to have itchy skins. Sigh.

Thanks anyway!

pancake
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Yes I only apply Canesten very light and thinly on my skin and it's great. Sudocrem is a popular cream to use on babies here. Nappy rash like it says on the tub. If only you were able to get E45 because it really is a good one also. Sudocrem should help you out though :)

I googled E45 and saw that all people who got E45 say it's cheap and effective. One major downside of living in HK is that people get different kind of allergies very easily due to the climate/weather, and all good stuff is from other countries, you either get them more expensive here or you don't even get them at all.

Kuilli
Aug 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I checked and it seems I can buy Florasone in HK! And it seems it's not expensive too. But I will be asking my friends visiting US to get me one lol. I know some creams can be harmful if used for a long time but sometimes it's just very frustrating to have itchy skins. Sigh.

Thanks anyway!
That's good if you can get it in HK. And no, it's not a very expensive product. It's definitely worth a try, and it is safe to use over a long period of time, which many other products aren't. It really was a big help for me, so hopefully it will help you too. Either way, it's worth giving it a try. :)

In US, your friends can look for it in health/natural food stores like Whole Foods. I don't think regular drug stores carry it. You can check for the stores that carry it here:
http://www.naturesway.com/Where-To-Buy.aspx?p=21850390

It is quite a small tube. Just so you know. But it was enough for me. :)

Kəv.
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Me!

I had it on parts of my legs and arms. Its not usually spread out it usually is just in 1 area. Once it was so bad the whole thing was bleeding, now its better but its starting to come back now. I use the Fatty Ointment, it really helps.

http://www.pharmacydiscount.com.au/images/Advantan%20Fatty%20Ointment%2015g.jpg

My friend though, he has it so badly, its all over him, his face and his head. I feel so sorry for him :hug:

Steven.
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM

dermatitis :p

I usually get mild dermattiis when I'm stressed, depressed, anxious. And that in itself just adds more to your worries and stress and depression :hysteric: fuck our lives hey.

but I guess I should be thankful it only mostly happens on my scalp and sometimes on the upper back/chest area.

GoofyDuck
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Ah you mean KP, thats only on your arms right? Many people have it.

KPRF is alot worse, then its also in your face.

Super Dave
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I have it on my hands most of the year, but it flares up at certain times. VERY itchy and annoying. The dermatologist just said to use the prescription .25% hydrocortisone cream during the flareups, and I use this, which helps a great deal, but is probably not widely available outside of the US:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yXkOu9U2Nns/TUStWJAa6CI/AAAAAAAAAzk/3r_IaIi80N0/s1600/AVEENO+BABY+DAILY+MOISTURIZER+FACE.jpg

And limit the amount of hot water you come in contact with; take cooler showers.

pancake
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Me!

I had it on parts of my legs and arms. Its not usually spread out it usually is just in 1 area. Once it was so bad the whole thing was bleeding, now its better but its starting to come back now. I use the Fatty Ointment, it really helps.

http://www.pharmacydiscount.com.au/images/Advantan%20Fatty%20Ointment%2015g.jpg

My friend though, he has it so badly, its all over him, his face and his head. I feel so sorry for him :hug:

:hug: Do you guys ever go to any Chi doctors? I guess they are pretty rare outside of China and most of them are just pretty... useless, but if you ever find a good one you may have a chance to get rid of it for good. Tho I have no such luck yet and I live in HK :o.

Another thing is different docs just say different stuff, so it can be quite confusing. But on face and head is just bad, how does he treat it?

pancake
Aug 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I have it on my hands most of the year, but it flares up at certain times. VERY itchy and annoying. The dermatologist just said to use the prescription .25% hydrocortisone cream during the flareups, and I use this, which helps a great deal, but is probably not widely available outside of the US:

And limit the amount of hot water you come in contact with; take cooler showers.

I hate when it's on hands, esp. coz you have to use your hands a lot (wash hands etc.) and most creams are pretty greasy.

I wish I could take cooler showers but for some reasons I can't breathe properly when I take them.