PDA

View Full Version : Kiri in New Haven!

misH@
Aug 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Its 8th time Kiri plays New Haven,last year lost 2nd round against Na Li 4-6, 6-7.
Not so good draw for MaKiri, even she is 7th seed.

(1)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) v BYE
Q v Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Mona Barthel (GER)
Shahar Peer (ISR) v(7)Maria Kirilenko (RUS)

peterlein
Aug 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I just had a look on her draw...obviously, she isn't really lucky with her draws in the american hardcourt season so far..
but imho, she still should reach at least R3 here! I would love to see a rematch of the epic wimby QF :) kiri would be totally on fire, for sure!

DAVAI MARIA :cheer:

Protoss
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Maria plays the 2nd match on stadium court. Play begins at 12 pm.

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Maria leads 2-1 in the H2H, 1-1 on hardcourt. Last time they played was in 2010, Maria won 6-4 and 6-3 at stanford. Peer is 15/21 this season so far!

DAVAI Kiri!! :cheer:

Protoss
Aug 20th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Tough draw for Maria. :(

Good luck Maria. :)

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM
match has begun, maria holds for 1-0*, one ace :)

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
peer holds after some deuces, *1-1, hold maria!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
maria holds after saving a breakpoint at 30-40 (on 2nd serve)! well done! 2-1*, now break her!!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM
kiri breaks for a *3-1 lead on her first breakpoint at 0-40 :) now hold please!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
maria holds to love! :) 4-1*! break again! come on!!!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
quick hold for peer, *4-2, hold maria!!!!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM
easy hold for her, 5-2*!! break her for the set!!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:58 PM
YESS!! maria takes the first set by 6-2!! good job! match is 36 minutes long! win it in two! :cheer:

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
maria holds for 1-0*, 2nd set! break her! :)

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
YEAH, maria breaks for a *2-0 lead on a DF peer! hold kiri!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:12 PM
nice, maria holds for 3-0* after deuce! keep it up kiri, break her again!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM
peer holds after deuce and saving some breakpoints, *3-1, hold maria!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM
yeah, nice hold for maria! 4-1*!! she has 4 aces now

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:24 PM
peer holds easily for *4-2, hold again kiri!! btw, 3 aces for maria in her last service game :yeah:

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
quick hold from little masha, 5-2*, break for the match kiri!!

peterlein
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Maria breaks on her 2nd matchpoint!! 6-2 and 6-2 for Kiri!! :yeah: match was 1h11min long! nice job!!! next is mona barthel

Protoss
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:57 AM
Yay!!!!! Great job Maria. :)

peterlein
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Maria will play her 2nd round match as the 5th and last match on the "stadium" court, right after radwanska - govortsova (NB 19.00hrs)

..that means she will play at about 2.00 - 4.00 AM central european time...I guess I won't sleep well then, I probably will wake up and will have to check the live-scores ;)

it's the first meeting between kiri and barthel! mona is 32-19 this year, and has won a tournament (at Hobart in January)
She also reached the SF at Bastad and held a MP against aga in R2 at Montreal

it's not gonna be easy, but maria could win this if she stays focused! DAVAI KIRI!! :cheer:

Celeborn
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Apparently Barthel withdraw from the match due to illness. Good for Kiri, although I think it would have been a very interesting match with Kiri as the favorite. Actually Barthel is the german who I like the most, so good recovery for her ;).

Rematch vs. Radwanska again...

peterlein
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Apparently Barthel withdraw from the match due to illness. Good for Kiri, although I think it would have been a very interesting match with Kiri as the favorite. Actually Barthel is the german who I like the most, so good recovery for her ;).

Rematch vs. Radwanska again...

well, so kiri is in the QF, but it's not how you want to advance to the next round...let's hope mona will be ok for the USO :)

so if aga wins over govortsova, and this is very likely, we will finally have the rematch kiri - aga! :drool:
I am looking forward to it, and I think maria could have good chances this time! Further, it would be a good test for her before the USO ;)

..and I am sure there will be a livestream at least, or a live coverage on eurosport ^^

misH@
Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:17 AM
Aga retired against Govortsova @ 0-6, 1-2, so Maria will have nice chance for semis here! ES will show New Haven live from thursday, lets hope Kiri will be televised!
This will be first meeting between this two players.

the cat
Aug 22nd, 2012, 01:23 AM
Good to see that Makiri stopped her 3 match losing streak in New Haven. Now she has a good chance to make only her third semifinal of the year.

Remix13
Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Indeed she should (and must) beat Govortsova. Don't miss this Maria ;)

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
well, kiri's cincy draw was so unlucky, so I guess it's just right to be luckier this time :p

What an opportunity to reach the semi's, Maria MUST win this! It's the first meeting between govortsova and kiri. Govortsova is currently no. 82 and 18-18 this season, and she reached R2 in every slam this year.

They will play right after wozniacki-cibulkova on the stadium, begin is 1 PM

I hope we will get a live coverage on eurosport :wavey:

DAVAI KIRI!!! :cheer:

misH@
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Eurosport will show Wozniacki-Cibulkova, followed by Kirilenko-Govortsova! Not so often to see Kiri two weeks in a row live on Eurosport! :) This is a great opportunity for semis and adding some new points, because she has to defend 4th round in US open in next week!
DAVAI MaKiri!

Remix13
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Eurosport will show Wozniacki-Cibulkova, followed by Kirilenko-Govortsova! Not so often to see Kiri two weeks in a row live on Eurosport! :) This is a great opportunity for semis and adding some new points, because she has to defend 4th round in US open in next week!
DAVAI MaKiri!

Indeed it's very rare to see her on TV, it's too bad because she could be a great asset for audience.

Last time she lost to Venus, hopefully Eurosport doesn't bring her bad luck.

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Indeed it's very rare to see her on TV, it's too bad because she could be a great asset for audience.

Last time she lost to Venus, hopefully Eurosport doesn't bring her bad luck.

oh yeahhhh, can't wait for tonight :yeah:

it seems she is getting more attention now, since her outstanding wimbledon performances :wavey:

Protoss
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Maria's match has begun, Maria serving. :)

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
good start for kiri, she leads 3-0* :)

Protoss
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Maria holds for 6-1 1st set at 40-15 on a 2nd serve. :) The match is 32 minutes long.

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
first set goes to maria, 6-1 :bigclap: win it in two!

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
yeahh, maria breaks for *2-1, 2nd set :) keep it up!

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
maria breaks for *5-2 and is serving for the match!! come on!! :cheer:

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Maria takes the win and goes into the third semifinal of the season!! :yeah: 6-1 and 6-2!!
somehow I can not realize it's already semifinal, after kiri "only" had to play peer and govortsova so far ^^

Remix13
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
May she finally beat this Wozwoz :angel:

Wozniacki had a problem with her knee vs Cibulkova it seems...

peterlein
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
May she finally beat this Wozwoz :angel:

Wozniacki had a problem with her knee vs Cibulkova it seems...

maybe she will have to withdraw or she will retire soon in the match, in order to not risk an injury before the USO :shrug:

ok, that would be too much luck in one single tournament I guess ;)

Protoss
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Great job Maria. :)

peterlein
Aug 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Kiri and Caro play the first match on the Stadium, begin is at 1 PM, (7 PM, CET)
I guess we will have live coverage on ES again :-)

Woz leads 5-0 in the H2H, so it's kiri's turn now ^^

Davai girl!! :cheer:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VerticalSports.Com App

the cat
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I was checking on the Wozniacki / Kirilenko head to head matchup and Caro has dominated Maria 5 - 0 thus far. :eek: That needs to change today in New Haven.

Oh and the WTA Tour lists Kiri the lightweight as being 4 pounds heavier than Wozniacki. :lol: Yeah sure. My guess is Caro who has a very strong body is 15 to 20 pounds heavier than Makiri.

peterlein
Aug 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Kiri just broke wozniacki's serve to go for a *6-5 lead!! she is serving for the set now!! DAVAI :cheer:

GoMasha23
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Kiri takes the first set! She is looking sharp today.

peterlein
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
..and maria takes the first set by 7-5!!! brilliant tennis from her in the last few games!!! win it in two maria :cheer:

GoMasha23
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Caro just retired. Kiri to the final in the easiest route ever.

peterlein
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Wozniacki gives up and Maria goes into the final!! YESS :cheer:

misH@
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Oooo yeah, Kiri goes to no12 with this win! New highest ranking for her! Didn`t saw the match, but in GM people saying Kiri was very good today!
DAVAI MaKiri!

the cat
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I thought Caro might retire in the match if Kiri won the first set and she did. Well done to Masha. Kiri certainly looked like the more impressive athlete and player today that's for sure. Caro looked like she was moving okay today. I can't blame her for retiring in this match with the U.S. Open starting in 2 days.

But what's with Caro interrupting Maria's serve with her asking Kiri to serve quicker? :scratch:

GoMasha23
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Kiri was very cute in the post match interview on espn.

the cat
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
As for the New Haven final I hope Kiri gets to play Errani so Kiri can be the bigger, stronger power player in that match. :yeah:

the cat
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Kiri was very cute in the post match interview on espn.Very is the correct word. ;)

NYKiriFan
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Is this new highest ranking for Maria? I think she goes on position 12 with win today?!

yup! :)

Remix13
Aug 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Maria was amazing today, hopefully she could win the title :angel:

peterlein
Aug 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
well, this win is deserved, although caro had to retire after the first set! It was kiri's strong performance which forced caro to give up! what an impressive first set from maria, she hit some nice winners :worship:
as the commentators on eurosport 2 said, there were no signs of a struggling wozniacki, her movement was okay and fine!

maria should be fully fit for the final, she only played 3 and a half matches since the olympics :D
could be an advantage for her if she should face kvitty in the final! but I still would prefer errani there!

let's wait what happens, everything is possible!

yeah, and new career high ranking for kiri on monday!! no. 12!!! :hearts: the top ten are nearing :bounce:

Slampova
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM
One step closer to the top 10 Kiri :bounce:

Good luck tomorrow :)

NYKiriFan
Aug 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Kvitova rematch in the final: Petra is on a roll now, but Kiri is still playing quite well. Should be fun. :)

peterlein
Aug 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM
The final will be played on the stadium, not before 3 PM local time. Eurosport will show it live from 9 PM, CET :)

Kiri leads 3-2 in the H2H, we all can remember well her great win over kvitty some weeks ago at the olympics! Let's do it again maria!! DAVAI :cheer:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VerticalSports.Com App

Celeborn
Aug 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM
One step closer to the top 10 Kiri :bounce:

Good luck tomorrow :)

Thank you, so good to hear, especially from a Big Masha fan ;). I hope for more matches between these two, they are always so exciting ;). Just a different outcome than the last two would be nice :devil:

Good luck later today, I can't watch it, but a title would be sooo cool! Anyway, great season, being a fan never felt so good ;)

Kirilenko_Kamp
Aug 25th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Congrats Makiri in making the Finals!!!:worship: Saw Kvitova match against Errani. She looks in good form heading to the US Open. I was hoping her last match would last 3 sets, but Errani couldn't handle her firepower.:eek:
Unless, Kvitova struggles with her forehand, Makiri well have her work cut out for her. I hope she uses the variety in her game to keep Kvitova off balanced. Like the backhand slice, drop shot, net volleys, etc. I bet if Makiri loses the 1st set, she'll take an extra-long bathroom break before the 2nd set starts. Letting Kvitova sit there on court baking in the sun while waiting for her.:lol:
Btw, did you know if Makiri wins today, it will be her first singles title in the USA???:scratch: Just thought you would like to know.

the cat
Aug 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Maria better lift her game fast. Kiri is serving 1 - 3 in the first set. Petra's game point to go up 3 - 1 was and incredible forehand blast that nearly knowcked the racquet out of Kiri's hand. :eek: :smash: Makiri better start to change the pace so Petra starts missing alot more. :devil:

kirivanovic
Aug 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Ovi should bark after every point Maria wins as she's too nice to do it. Kvitova is barking like if someone just cut her throat and it's even worse than during the fed cup...

peterlein
Aug 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ovi should bark after every point Maria wins as she's too nice to do it. Kvitova is barking like if someone just cut her throat and it's even worse than during the fed cup...

yeah her barks are so annoying...:rolleyes:

the cat
Aug 25th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Poor Kiri lost such a tough first set. :sad: But I really believe Maria is a different and better player than she's ever been.

peterlein
Aug 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
well, I am done...5-2 and kvitty still wins it in two :o

that hurts so much, what a tough loss this was

the cat
Aug 25th, 2012, 09:41 PM
well, I am done...5-2 and kvitty still wins it in two :o

that hurts so much, what a tough loss this wasBrutal loss for Kiri. :mad: Not even to win a set today is an injustice to Maria. But she has only herself and her serve to blame for that. Kiri seemed to wilt in the second set. Not to take it to a third set to make Petra sweat and suffer is a mistake Kiri will regret. Kvitova may have been so upset by losing the second set that she might have tanked the third set worrying about the U.S. Open. I don't want to be harsh on Kiri because she took a power pounding from Kvitova today and Maria really hung in there. That was impressive. It's just a shame she lost the final in straight sets. Kiri really did not deserve that. But that's tennis.

As for Kiri's U.S. Open I think this loss will hang with her for a while. Kvitova was beatable today and Kiri could have done it. Still no singles titles for Maria for almost 4 years. Her losing the second set like that today reminded me of the old Kiri. :(

peterlein
Aug 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Brutal loss for Kiri. :mad: Not even to win a set today is an injustice to Maria. But she has only herself and her serve to blame for that. Kiri seemed to wilt in the second set. Not to take it to a third set to make Petra sweat and suffer is a mistake Kiri will regret. Kvitova may have been so upset by losing the second set that she might have tanked the third set worrying about the U.S. Open.

As for Kiri's U.S. Open I think this loss will hang with her for a while. Kvitova was beatable today and Kiri could have done it. Still no singles titles for Maria for almost 4 years. Her losing the second set like that today reminded me of the old Kiri. :(

well, you could be right, but don't forget, her opponent was not knapp, zakopalova or schiavone...
maria played against an in-form world's number 5! you first have to come in a 5-2 lead situation...
in some sense, I believe kiri will be even more motivated for the US Open now!
and she will win a title soon if she stays patient and continues to play like this, it's only a matter of time

the cat
Aug 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM
well, you could be right, but don't forget, her opponent was not knapp, zakopalova or schiavone...
maria played against an in-form world's number 5! you first have to come in a 5-2 lead situation...
in some sense, I believe kiri will be even more motivated for the US Open now!
and she will win a title soon if she stays patient and continues to play like this, it's only a matter of timeI hope you are right and this final motivates Maria. But she had some breaks this tournament and still couldn't win. Petra has a huge upside and is off to a great start in her career. But she was beatable today even as powerful and as skilled as she is. And it was sad to see Kiri lose another sizable lead in a set in a big match. :sad:

NYKiriFan
Aug 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I agree she won't and can't beat herself too much over this loss. While as fans we're impatient to see her win a tourney for the first time in 4 years, she's just not going to put too much of herself into an event a week before the US Open and let this get to her.

Some of the postmatch press conference is here, and quote from the article: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/08/26/sports/doc50394b2bbd313042803568.txt?viewmode=2

“Yeah, even if I lost today, I still feel positive,” Kirilenko said. “I played really well this week. I played a good match today. Unfortunately, I was unlucky. But I have a couple days to recover because I know that I’m playing Tuesday (at the U.S. Open).”

Also a good quote on what went wrong beyond just being "unlucky":

“She just played a couple lines, long lines,” Kirilenko said. “The ball went so fast, I couldn’t really think. It was a couple important points. Then she started to play a little bit differently. She didn’t hit the ball as hard as she did in the first set. She just tried to make long rallies. I was not too patient. I had to be more patient and wait for the easy ball to finish. Sometimes I chose the wrong ball to hit a winner.”

the cat
Aug 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I agree she won't and can't beat herself too much over this loss. While as fans we're impatient to see her win a tourney for the first time in 4 years, she's just not going to put too much of herself into an event a week before the US Open and let this get to her.

Some of the postmatch press conference is here, and quote from the article: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/08/26/sports/doc50394b2bbd313042803568.txt?viewmode=2

Also a good quote on what went wrong beyond just being "unlucky":It's more than being unlucky. Maria has lost many matches like the New Haven final before. Kiri lost a tough first set yet shook that off to lead 5 - 2 in the second set with 2 breaks of serve then pretty much melted down losing 5 straight games. Sadly Maria has done this many times before. It is great Makiri is so close to the top 10 now after 10 years on tour but she really could have and should have won yesterday. It's a damn shame she didn't. :sad: There is no question the pressure go to Maria when she was up 2 breaks at 5 -2 in the second set. She admitted that in her post match video press conference. But why would she get nervous then? She was playing well and Petra wasn't. Then Kiri lost 5 straight games.

NYKiriFan
Aug 26th, 2012, 08:25 PM
It's more than being unlucky.
Sure, absolutely, and I think the overall press conference suggests to me that she knows that.

King Aaron
Aug 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Chokelenko again? :sad: Good week all around, just keep on playing well and she will be get at least 1 title in the Asian tournaments.