PDA

View Full Version : Which Olympics Event Carries The Most Weight?

Tennisation
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Which event gives the Gold medal the most significant weight and meaning do you think? All gold medals are created equal but going beyond that in a broader scheme of things, here's a list to differentiate those gold medals.

1. THE ultimate sport of all olympic sports

2. The most likely to bring in big bucks from endorsement deals

3. The most popular

4. The hardest to win

5. The easiest to win

6. The most likely to go unnoticed

Mary Cherry.
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM
100m final.

Tennisation
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:53 PM
My List:

1. THE ultimate sport of all olympic sports: Decathalon

2. The most likely to bring in big bucks from endorsement deals: Gymnastics AA

3. The most popular: 100m

4. The hardest to win: Triathlon

5. The easiest to win: shooting

6. The most likely to go unnoticed: Fencing (2 times gold medalist Mariel Zagunis is a great example)

PointBlank
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
i think it is different from country to country.

SloKid
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Weightlifting?

edificio
Aug 14th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Marathon! Tradition. :)

ico4498
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
100m final.

/THREAD

Ryan
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:36 AM
/THREAD

Not necessarily. I think winning the Triathlon or Decathlon/Heptathlon is much harder than winning the 100m, simply because it shows you're a better athlete at a number of disciplines. I love the 100m, and its definitely the most popular and probably brings in a lot of ticket money, but I don't thnk its the "ultimate" Olympic event or the hardest to win.

ico4498
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:52 AM
question is which carries the most weight. had the question been 'which is most difficult'?' i'd go with the decathlon fer sure.

August
Aug 15th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Men's 100m gets probably most attention, still maybe men's basketball gold would be most important for a nation. And decathlon/heptathlon are the hardest to win, you need to master 10/7 sports. I think triathlon isn't as difficult to win as decathlon/heptathlon, not because it has three sports but because it's too much about endurance. And tennis is one of the most difficult Olympic sports to master, you need so many qualities, not only physical but also tactical. But it's not too important as an Olympic event.

kwilliams
Aug 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Not necessarily. I think winning the Triathlon or Decathlon/Heptathlon is much harder than winning the 100m, simply because it shows you're a better athlete at a number of disciplines. I love the 100m, and its definitely the most popular and probably brings in a lot of ticket money, but I don't thnk its the "ultimate" Olympic event or the hardest to win.

Agreed. I read a story the other day about an American decathlete and gold medal winner from the 70s (I think) who criticised Bolt's proclamation that he was the greatest athlete ever (or something to that effect) The man said he wasn't the greatest athlete ever, he was the greatest sprinter ever. Anyway, everything that he said in the article seemed spot on to me.

question is which carries the most weight. had the question been 'which is most difficult'?' i'd go with the decathlon fer sure.

So for the reasons listed above. I wish we could change and start to give more credit to some of the more unsung heroes of the games. I feel like part of the reason the 100m is popular is because you get to see this quick burst of raw power, all the athletes are visibly competing in your range of vision, it's usually a fairly close race (compared to others) and it's over quickly so it's a quick buzz for viewers.

Onslow
Aug 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
the gold medals are not real gold these days, gold is way too expensive...

1. THE ultimate sport of all olympic sports: modern pentathlon definitely!

pov
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Weightlifting?
:lol: I was just about to "mouth off" with that. :yeah:

pov
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM
the gold medals are not real gold these days, gold is way too expensive...

The last time an Olympic medal was made entirely out of gold was in 1912 at the Stockholm, Sweden summer Olympics. At the time, the average price for one ounce of gold was roughly $18.93 and the weight of the 1912 Stockholm Olympic gold medal was about 24g (0.85 ounces). The cost of a solid gold Olympic medal was approximately $16 in 1912. Even adjusting for inflation, the cost would be around $350 or half the cost of the London Olympic gold medal. The specific composition and design of Olympic medals is determined by the host city's organizing committee. However, certain standards must be maintained:

Gold and silver medals are 92.5% silver.

Gold medals must be plated with at least 6 grams of gold.

All Olympic medals must be at least 3 mm thick and at least 60 mm in diameter.

Bronze medals are bronze, an alloy of copper and usually tin. It's worth noting that gold, silver, and bronze medals have not always been awarded. At the 1896 Olympic Games, the winners were awarded silver medals, whiile the runners-up got bronze medals. The winners at the 1900 Olympics received trophies or cups instead of medals. The custom of awarding gold, silver, and bronze medals started at the 1904 Olympics. After the 1912 Olympics the gold medals have been gilded silver rather than real gold.

Although the Olympic gold medal is more silver than gold, there are gold medals that are really gold, such as the Congressional Gold Medal and Nobel Prize Medal. Before 1980 the Nobel Prize medal was made from 23 carat gold. Newer Nobel Prize medals are 18 carat green gold plated with 24 carat gold.

------

The composition of the London gold medal is made up of approximately 92.5% silver, 1.34% gold and 6.16% copper. With gold prices fluctuating around $1,590 per ounce (28.35g), the cost of the required six grams of gold alone equals almost $337. The estimated cost of the 2012 London gold Olympic medal is around $700, making the medal one of the most expensive in Olympic history. A major impact in the high cost is the rising price of precious metals over the recent years. Had the medals been made entirely out of gold, with he current market value, they would cost over $22,000.

--------

The last time an Olympic medal was made entirely out of gold was in 1912 at the Stockholm, Sweden summer Olympics. At the time, the average price for one ounce of gold was roughly $18.93 and the weight of the 1912 Stockholm Olympic gold medal was about 24g (0.85 ounces). The cost of a solid gold Olympic medal was approximately $16 in 1912. Even adjusting for inflation, the cost would be around $350 or half the cost of the London Olympic gold medal.

azdaja
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:57 PM
men's 105+ kg weighlifting obviously :p

Lin Lin
Aug 16th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Table tennis for foreigners,and 100m for chinese:lol:

Joana
Aug 16th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Women's 67+ kg taekwondo, of course.

Mynarco
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Weightlifting?

Thank you. We can close the thread now.

Hurley
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Hello? Curling.

Stamp Paid
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM
/THREADYour avatar! The bane of our existence!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8qtjlTy1m1rdp1kao1_400.gif

J/k :p:lol: They're such awesome, wonderful athletes. Demigods.

hellas719
Aug 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM
100m of course even though it's so overrated :shrug:

Should be marathon IMO because of history :bowdown: