PDA

View Full Version : Madrid para una noche

shap_half
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Did I say that right?

I'll be in Madrid for one night this Saturday before I head to Portugal for like a week. What should I do? I've not been to Madrid in about 4 years. What's the amazing new restaurants there? Something easy to do, I reckon Spain is a bit hard for people who don't the local language. Any cool bars I should hit up? It looks like I'll be flying out at like 10am the following day so I'm not really going to be jaunty and out and about.

Sammo
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM
No idea, I only went once to Madrid and I was 11 and spent 3 of the 5 days on the Warner Bros Park :lol:

shap_half
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM
There's such a thing in Madrid??

Sammo
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Yes! And it's awesome :lol:

edificio
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want to leave Madrid without visiting the Prado. They have some of the most fantastic paintings. I was surprised how many Bosch paintings they have (El Bosco:)), and Las Meninas is one of the most amazing paintings ever. Also, el Rastro is great fun (a flea market), if you are into that kind of thing, but I think that is just one day a week. I spent about five weeks there a while ago, and I have to say that I loved it. Anyway, if I was only going to be there one day, I would go to the Prado. (Lack of adequate/tolerable Spanish was not a barrier.)

shap_half
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks! I've actually been. I have to check and see if there are new exhibits I want to see, but if not, I don't really want to spend the one day cooped inside.

spiceboy
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks! I've actually been. I have to check and see if there are new exhibits I want to see, but if not, I don't really want to spend the one day cooped inside.

If you have been to El Prado do not miss out THE EXHIBITION of the year in Spain. The biggest exhibition of Edward Hopper ever shown outside America is held in Museo Thyssen Bornemisza until Sept 16 :hearts:

http://www.museothyssen.org/en/thyssen/exposiciones_actuales/88

This museum is one of the most important museums in Spain and its permanent collection is an absolute must with works from Dalí, Degas, Chagall, Caravaggio, Cézanne, Monet...

shap_half
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it, but man 15 euros (to see Hopper and the perm collection) is a lot!

Dave.
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM
If I only had one day in Madrid and wanted to be outdoors I'd just chill in Retiro (always so much going on there) then make my way up to Sol, Plaza de Isabel II, then onto the Palace (it's all within walking distance). Also the Temple of Debod is pretty cool and is in a park with stunning views of the Palace and Casa de Campo.

As far as going to eat you can find so many nice little places in La Latina or on the streets just off Sol. Plaza Mayor too.

El Tigre is a pretty cool bar/restaurant (the tapas is that huge that it counts as a meal), just off Gran Via (it's well known so it's easy to ask people for directions). It gets absolutely packed which makes for a great atmosphere and very easy to just start chatting with just anyone.

If you like Opera the Teatro Real are doing 90% discounts on various days.

Sammo
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah I loved El Retiro too

Just Do It
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it, but man 15 euros (to see Hopper and the perm collection) is a lot!

Really? 15 euros to enter a museum anywhere in Europe is not much. Especially Italy, Spain and France.

shap_half
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
You can enter the Met for a penny if you wanted. And I'm a journalist so I rarely have to pay...

Super Dave
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Did I say that right?

I guess so.

PYb2IdrN-ns

edificio
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Oh, if you've been there, probably something else would be better.

Have fun!

You can enter the Met for a penny if you wanted. And I'm a journalist so I rarely have to pay...

Oh my, I'm that cheap, too. :lol: 15 euros is a lot.

The exhibitions can be so crowded. More fun, perhaps, to be in a crowded tapas bar.