PDA

View Full Version : US/Canada Trip : Recommendations?

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM
This seems to be a trend in Non-Tennis, so I thought I'd give it a shot too :oh:

I'll be visiting the following cities : NYC, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Niagara Falls (NY), Niagara Falls (Ontario), Toronto, Montréal :p

Anyone has any comments (positive or negative) on 1) things to see/do and 2) eating places? :angel:

miffedmax
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Well, it kind of depends on what things you enjoy, esp. for NYC, DC and Toronto.

Museums? Theater? Music? Shopping?

FORZA SARITA
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
slut alert in USA :eek:

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Well, it kind of depends on what things you enjoy, esp. for NYC, DC and Toronto.

Museums? Theater? Music? Shopping?

Well, scenery, theatre, music and food. I'm pretty open to trying things I might not think I'll enjoy. That's why I didn't specify :p

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
slut alert in USA :eek:

Is that any of your business?

http://i43.tinypic.com/14ju712.gif

Nicolás89
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:27 PM
So jellis.

FORZA SARITA
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Is that any of your business?

http://i43.tinypic.com/14ju712.gif

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg633/FORZAPENNETTA/tumblr_lwkaeojoB61r3y76bo1_500.gif

edificio
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
The Cloisters (museum) in NYC. An opportunity to see upper Manhattan and have a restful day in the park. :)

Ride on the Staten Island Ferry and perhaps a visit to the Statue of Liberty. You can get some great pictures of Manhattan on the ferry.

ptkten
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Glad you're stopping in Philly. In my opinion, it's one of the most underrated cities in the country. It is one of the few U.S. cities that has an extremely vibrant, dense, and walkable downtown with lots of people actually living there.

For things to see, the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes are two world class art institutions. The Mutter museum is a medical museum and has some strange things but is worth seeing. For other cultural stuff, the Philadelphia orchestra is world-renowned so it might be worth seeing.

For neighborhood walking Old City/Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square are both very nice and you can stumble on any number of stores, restaurants etc. just walking around the streets.

For food, try the Reading Terminal Market, it's a unique place. Jose Garces and Stephen Starr are probably the two most famous chefs in Philly so a lot of their restaurants are all over the downtown area. I don't know if you're into U.S. history but there's a lot of stuff for that as well like Independence Hall, Liberty bell etc.

The other cities on your list are great too but I'll let other people talk about them.

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks, edificio and ptkten :hatoff:

TBH, some people have told me that Philly is a bit boring, but I guess it depends on your taste :p

Ryan
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM
This seems to be a trend in Non-Tennis, so I thought I'd give it a shot too :oh:

I'll be visiting the following cities : NYC, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Niagara Falls (NY), Niagara Falls (Ontario), Toronto, Montréal :p

Anyone has any comments (positive or negative) on 1) things to see/do and 2) eating places? :angel:

Boston, Montreal and Toronto are 3 of my favourite cities. :rocker:

Are you going alone, or with people? That changes what you should do IMO.

Toronto - their Zoo is pretty sweet, not a bad way to spend an afternoon with or without friends. The downtown core is pretty great for food and entertainment, just walking around is great - and if you like music, check out the MuchMusic (Canadian MTV basically) headquarters, might have a live performance or something.

Montreal - their modern art museum is great. Also, tons of shopping and the downtown/shopping district is really walkable. Always a TON of great concerts - check out the Metropolis and Club Soda venues to see if anyone is playing when you're there. Also, "La Ronde" (6 flags amusement park) is really accessible by subway and is awesome. Food: great all-you can eat sushi, and on St Denis street there's a ton of bars/clubs/restaurants - a dessert crepe place, blues bar (with awesome sangria and live music), a sweet mexican place too. Go to Schwartz, their famous sandwich restaurant. Oh, and get poutine too.

Boston - When are you going? Try to catch a baseball/basketball/hockey game or pre-season game, depending on when you're going. Im mostly drinking when I go there haha, so I'd suggest Joshua Tree as a great place to go. I never find any of the food in Boston outstanding, so I'm probably going to the wrong spots.

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Boston, Montreal and Toronto are 3 of my favourite cities. :rocker:

Are you going alone, or with people? That changes what you should do IMO.

Toronto - their Zoo is pretty sweet, not a bad way to spend an afternoon with or without friends. The downtown core is pretty great for food and entertainment, just walking around is great - and if you like music, check out the MuchMusic (Canadian MTV basically) headquarters, might have a live performance or something.

Montreal - their modern art museum is great. Also, tons of shopping and the downtown/shopping district is really walkable. Always a TON of great concerts - check out the Metropolis and Club Soda venues to see if anyone is playing when you're there. Also, "La Ronde" (6 flags amusement park) is really accessible by subway and is awesome. Food: great all-you can eat sushi, and on St Denis street there's a ton of bars/clubs/restaurants - a dessert crepe place, blues bar (with awesome sangria and live music), a sweet mexican place too. Go to Schwartz, their famous sandwich restaurant. Oh, and get poutine too.

Boston - When are you going? Try to catch a baseball/basketball/hockey game or pre-season game, depending on when you're going. Im mostly drinking when I go there haha, so I'd suggest Joshua Tree as a great place to go. I never find any of the food in Boston outstanding, so I'm probably going to the wrong spots.

So much info. Thanks, Ryan! :D

I'll be alone only in those 3 cities you mentioned :rolls:

As for Boston, I heard they're known for seafood, but that Maine is better :lol:

shap_half
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:50 PM
There are a few really fantastic places for food in Boston. I go to Stella's every time I'm in the city for their orecchiette, which I just love. It's massive. Toro is another good one for tapas. Quite delish.

Boston, not known for seafood, necessarily, but there's quite a bit of oyster bars.

Toronto also has my favorite Thai restaurant in North America: Mengrai.

edificio
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
If you like Indian food, and who doesn't!, Toronto has some great restaurants, even downtown. WIsh I could remember some names. :sad:

moby
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
1 day in Philly is more than enough.

How many days do you have?

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM
There are a few really fantastic places for food in Boston. I go to Stella's every time I'm in the city for their orecchiette, which I just love. It's massive. Toro is another good one for tapas. Quite delish.

Boston, not known for seafood, necessarily, but there's quite a bit of oyster bars.

Toronto also has my favorite Thai restaurant in North America: Mengrai.

Cool! Thanks! :D

If you like Indian food, and who doesn't!, Toronto has some great restaurants, even downtown. WIsh I could remember some names. :sad:

No problem. I'll just keep an eye out for Indian food, I guess :p

1 day in Philly is more than enough.

How many days do you have?

1 day :lol:

Crazy Canuck
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
A pity you likely won't be around Toronto at the same time as me.

silverwhite
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
A pity you likely won't be around Toronto at the same time as me.

CHOLE :eek::eek::eek:

When will you be there??

VeeJJ
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Go to Greenhouse on Sunday in NYC. Don't go anywhere near Splash.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Going up the CN Tower in Toronto is a must...unless you're afraid of heights.

silverwhite
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Go to Greenhouse on Sunday in NYC. Don't go anywhere near Splash.

Noted. Thanks! :hatoff:

silverwhite
Aug 18th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Bump :oh:

Kat_YYZ
Aug 18th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Hi SW, :wavey:
When will you be in Toronto? The Film Festival is Sep 6-16. Can be a lot of interesting events at that time. :)

silverwhite
Aug 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi SW, :wavey:
When will you be in Toronto? The Film Festival is Sep 6-16. Can be a lot of interesting events at that time. :)

Kat :wavey:

Cool. I'll be there on 10th and 11th September :eek:

Kat_YYZ
Aug 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Kat :wavey:

Cool. I'll be there on 10th and 11th September :eek:

well, if I were in a city for only 2 days, I wouldn't spend a moment inside a movie theatre, but there might be other interesting film fest activities going on at the time. For sure the nightlife will be more lively than it would be on a regular Monday and Tuesday night. The area around the festival's headquarters has a lot of restaurants and clubs. And there is also the Yorkville neighbourhood, full of posh boutiques and restaurants/cafes. I'm not in the income bracket to be able to really participate, but sometimes it's fun to grab a spot on a coffee shop patio, or even a park bench, and watch the fancy people and expensive cars go by :lol:.

kwilliams
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I agree that one day in Philadelphia is enough. It's nice but not amazing and there isn't that much to do there. I love Boston and DC. I think they're much nicer places to visit than NYC and Philly. I'd love to go to Niagara Falls and Canada. Enjoy your trip!

Crazy Canuck
Aug 19th, 2012, 09:28 PM
CHOLE :eek::eek::eek:

When will you be there??
December :)

Crazy Canuck
Aug 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I think that I probably just don't get it, because I grew up two hours from Toronto and have seen the CN Tower about a thousand times, but I don't get it. It's not a terribly beautiful building - it's just tall. I've never been up it, or felt the itch to go.

I also didn't see the point in going to the top of the Empire State Building either, so maybe I just don't care about tall buildings.

silverwhite
Aug 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM
well, if I were in a city for only 2 days, I wouldn't spend a moment inside a movie theatre, but there might be other interesting film fest activities going on at the time. For sure the nightlife will be more lively than it would be on a regular Monday and Tuesday night. The area around the festival's headquarters has a lot of restaurants and clubs. And there is also the Yorkville neighbourhood, full of posh boutiques and restaurants/cafes. I'm not in the income bracket to be able to really participate, but sometimes it's fun to grab a spot on a coffee shop patio, or even a park bench, and watch the fancy people and expensive cars go by :lol:.

I agree that one day in Philadelphia is enough. It's nice but not amazing and there isn't that much to do there. I love Boston and DC. I think they're much nicer places to visit than NYC and Philly. I'd love to go to Niagara Falls and Canada. Enjoy your trip!

I think that I probably just don't get it, because I grew up two hours from Toronto and have seen the CN Tower about a thousand times, but I don't get it. It's not a terribly beautiful building - it's just tall. I've never been up it, or felt the itch to go.

I also didn't see the point in going to the top of the Empire State Building either, so maybe I just don't care about tall buildings.

Thanks, guys!

December :)

Pity :(

NyCPsU
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Went to Montreal for the first time this past weekend with some friends. Had a great time. Definitely one of my favorite cities Ive been to. Did touristy stuff during the day and nightlife was a ton of fun at night. Very different than what I thought it would be like, but in a good way. Everyone there is really friendly and just love the French culture.

It was a last minute planned trip. 4 guys, 3 girls and we all had a great time and want to plan another more thought out trip for next summer.

shap_half
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:04 AM
If you want to drop some money on food, NYC is definitely the place to do it in. ABC Kitchen is currently my favorite in the city, and if you want to eat there, make reservations as soon as you can. I have a few more "expensive" restaurant recommendations if you want them. (Marea for Italian seafood is absolutely fantastic! Sorella in the LES has the best desserts.)

For less expensive options:
Taim for some good falafels
Basta Pasta for Japanese-inspired Italian
Eataly (everyone goes so be prepared to wait)
Egg in Brooklyn is still pretty good
I sometimes trek to Williamsburg to get some Peruvian food at Chimu
everyone seems to really love the Doughnut Plant right now (I thought it was good)
Criff Dogs for "gourmet" hot dogs (the wait here can be stupid, I waited nearly 45 minutes for my hot dogs to arrive)
Meatball Shop (go to the the one near 7th Ave South for shorter wait time)
Goat Town has a pretty good happy hour until 7 every day but I love this place for brunch
The John Dory at the Ace Hotel also has a good happy hour if you like oysters ($15 get you half a dozen plus a glass of bubbly)
Love Gelato on 7th Ave South is also pretty good

moby
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:17 AM
Why aren't you coming to Chicago?

silverwhite
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:30 AM
Went to Montreal for the first time this past weekend with some friends. Had a great time. Definitely one of my favorite cities Ive been to. Did touristy stuff during the day and nightlife was a ton of fun at night. Very different than what I thought it would be like, but in a good way. Everyone there is really friendly and just love the French culture.

It was a last minute planned trip. 4 guys, 3 girls and we all had a great time and want to plan another more thought out trip for next summer.

Good to hear. A lot of people prefer Toronto, but I'm more interested to see Montréal :lol:

If you want to drop some money on food, NYC is definitely the place to do it in. ABC Kitchen is currently my favorite in the city, and if you want to eat there, make reservations as soon as you can. I have a few more "expensive" restaurant recommendations if you want them. (Marea for Italian seafood is absolutely fantastic! Sorella in the LES has the best desserts.)

For less expensive options:
Taim for some good falafels
Basta Pasta for Japanese-inspired Italian
Eataly (everyone goes so be prepared to wait)
Egg in Brooklyn is still pretty good
I sometimes trek to Williamsburg to get some Peruvian food at Chimu
everyone seems to really love the Doughnut Plant right now (I thought it was good)
Criff Dogs for "gourmet" hot dogs (the wait here can be stupid, I waited nearly 45 minutes for my hot dogs to arrive)
Meatball Shop (go to the the one near 7th Ave South for shorter wait time)
Goat Town has a pretty good happy hour until 7 every day but I love this place for brunch
The John Dory at the Ace Hotel also has a good happy hour if you like oysters ($15 get you half a dozen plus a glass of bubbly)
Love Gelato on 7th Ave South is also pretty good

Food :drool:

Why aren't you coming to Chicago?

Too far, and I'll mostly be travelling by bus :p

Nicolás89
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:39 AM

Worse mean of transportation ever.

silverwhite
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:43 AM
Worse mean of transportation ever.

I don't have much of a choice. It's the cheapest option and I haven't driven in years, so I probably shouldn't start in a foreign country :scared:

Nicolás89
Aug 21st, 2012, 03:23 AM
I don't have much of a choice. It's the cheapest option and I haven't driven in years, so I probably shouldn't start in a foreign country :scared:

Train is much more picturesque. And it shouldn't be more expensive than bus. :p

silverwhite
Aug 21st, 2012, 03:28 AM
Train is much more picturesque. And it shouldn't be more expensive than bus. :p

They are sometimes significantly more expensive, especially when Advance Purchase prices are available for bus tickets :scratch:

Anyway, I'm taking the train for one of my trips, from Montréal back to NY :cheer:

Ryan
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Train's in North America are disgustingly expensive. :o

silverwhite
Aug 25th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Leaving soon :cheer:

Any other recommendations? :D

moby
Aug 25th, 2012, 06:37 AM
They are sometimes significantly more expensive, especially when Advance Purchase prices are available for bus tickets :scratch:

Anyway, I'm taking the train for one of my trips, from Montréal back to NY :cheer:I heard the Adirondack train goes through pretty country. Was considering that a while back.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Good to hear. A lot of people prefer Toronto, but I'm more interested to see Montréal :lol:

Food :drool:

Most people prefer Toronto because that is where I live

silverwhite
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Some random thoughts :oh:

NYC : Thoroughly enjoyed the USO. Sightseeing is secondary :rolls:

DC : The highlight was the tour of the Capitol :cheer: Visited the other major monuments, of course. Went to Georgetown. It was drizzling but there was still a long queue for cupcakes :help:

Philly : Gloomy, due to it raining the entire time we were there. We were really looking forward to the Reading Terminal Market, but it didn't occur to us that it'd be closed on Labour Day :sobbing:

Super Dave
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Toronto, Niagara Falls and DC are Dave Robertson favorites. :) I've always wanted to visit Montreal but haven't.

Did you like the Falls? Go on the Maid of the Mist? :hearts:

We did the CityPass in Toronto a couple of times and saw the main attractions for a lower price.

silverwhite
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I've only been to DC and Philly so far. Niagara Falls + Toronto + Montréal leg starts this weekend :cheer:

Super Dave
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I've only been to DC and Philly so far. Niagara Falls + Toronto + Montréal leg starts this weekend :cheer:

What a blast. The temps should be perfect.

http://www.citypass.com/toronto if you want to do the touristy stuff.

silverwhite
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I hope so. The weather last weekend wasn't great :lol:

Super Dave
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I hope so. The weather last weekend wasn't great :lol:

I was in Florida last week and got rained on 3 days and broiled 3 days :lol:

silverwhite
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Sounds like my experience on the first day of the USO :spit:

Valanga
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM

JEALOUS ah

silverwhite
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
:lol:

Well, you've travelled around Europe much more than me ;)

Wiggly
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:03 AM
You should try to watch some hockey in Montreal if there's no lock out.
If you can go to Quebec City, it's worth the trip.

silverwhite
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Only have 2 days in Montréal. Don't think I'll have the time to do either :p

Barrie_Dude
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:14 PM
You do know that I am in Toronto!

silverwhite
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:53 AM
The Falls were gorgeous :hearts:

We did both Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds :rolls:

You do know that I am in Toronto!

And? :oh:

Barrie_Dude
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM

And? :oh:416-206-8677

silverwhite
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:39 PM
:unsure:

NyCPsU
Sep 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
:rolls:

Super Dave
Sep 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM

:yeah:

Nicolás89
Sep 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I may go to the whole Kitchener-Waterloo area & Toronto next year. :hearts: Hopefully I will be able to visit Detroit, NYC & Boston too. :)

silverwhite
Sep 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
The bus to Toronto is late. Probably coming from the US an stuck at customs :zzz:

I may go to the whole Kitchener-Waterloo area & Toronto next year. :hearts: Hopefully I will be able to visit Detroit, NYC & Boston too. :)

:cheer:

Didn't have time to go to Boston thanks to the USO :o

Super Dave
Sep 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Detroit isn't a place you aspire to go, it's a place you end up. ;)

silverwhite
Sep 11th, 2012, 03:10 AM
In Toronto now. TBH, my impression so far is that it's a typical big city. Haven't seen anything really distinctive about it yet :oh:

Julian.
Sep 11th, 2012, 03:14 AM
In Toronto now. TBH, my impression so far is that it's a typical big city. Haven't seen anything really distinctive about it yet :oh:

The demographics of Toronto make Toronto one of the most if not the most multicultural cities in the world. 49.9% of Toronto's population is foreign-born. :lol:

silverwhite
Sep 11th, 2012, 03:22 AM
The demographics of Toronto make Toronto one of the most if not the most multicultural cities in the world. 49.9% of Toronto's population is foreign-born. :lol:

That is true for a lot of other big cities as well, although the percentage may not be as high :lol:

Julian.
Sep 11th, 2012, 03:23 AM
That is true for a lot of other big cities as well, although the percentage may not be as high :lol:

The very high percentage is what makes it distinct :spit:

silverwhite
Sep 11th, 2012, 03:25 AM
It's not significant enough, IMO :shrug:

silverwhite
Sep 13th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I'm enjoying Montréal more than Toronto. It's more laidback and has more of a European feel :cheer: