PDA

View Full Version : Why don't extend olympic games to three weeks?

TheHangover
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:50 AM
It's a huge event, the organizer country spend 6 years and billions of euros to prepare it and everything is over in two weeks, all the sports overlap so you can't follow them all, then some sports like football tournament need to start before the opening ceremony to complete the event, then more sports want to join the olympic family: golf, rugby, karate, cricket, squash, surfing, finally we all love olympic games! So what is the reason to keep it a 2 weeks event? (fifa world cup already last one month for a single sport)

Joana
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I think they'll need to reconsider the format. Even if you don't have anything else to do for those two weeks, it's impossibly to watch everything you'd like, and if you try, you're going to burn yourself out.

Wigglytuff
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
God no. It's long enough as it is.

Sam L
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
That's what I'm thinking. They need to get back to basics. Athletics plus a few core sports and shorten the time. It's a big, bloated commercial mess right now.

Kəv.
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Yeh, and it only comes 4 times a year, all the money and preperation into 2 weeks.

I was suprised before that Squash isn't already In the olympics. I thought they played it at Beijing?

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
^^ No they didn't.:( If squash were in Olympics, Malaysia already almost guaranteed a gold medal there.:o :oh:

I think the longer it takes, the more you'll spend on the cost on unnecessary.

The Crow
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
It's fine as it is. If it lasts longer, people would lose interest. It's nicely focussed now.

I don't agree with cutting into sports either. I love how many different sports are all going on at the same time.

Hidalgo
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM

but world Football championship is longer, almost mounth:p

edificio
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM

:yeah:

mykarma
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
:yeah:
Hell no, I'm so glad it's over so I can get some decent sleep.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
2 weeks is ideal tbh. It drags on once all of the main events are over, I mean the highlight of the last day was the women's Modern Pentathlon :weirdo:

Tennisation
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Instead of extending the games, they just need to get rid of some useless events

edificio
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
2 weeks is ideal tbh. It drags on once all of the main events are over, I mean the highlight of the last day was the women's Modern Pentathlon :weirdo:

No, the men's marathon was the highlight. The scheduling was a bit weird, though.

Joana
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I mean the highlight of the last day was the women's Modern Pentathlon :weirdo:

Yeah, it was extremely weird that it should be last the event of the competition.
I think they could find a better balance between the two weeks, in the first week there's always something going on, even too much, but then by the end of the second week it starts to feel kinda empty.

Mynarco
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
It's about right (16-17 days)

wild.river
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM
:sobbing: i wish it were 3 weeks too! 2 weeks every 4 yrs is too short.

gc-spurs
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:32 AM
No, one of the coolest things about the Olympics is having the world's best all there at one time. You spread it to 3 weeks and athletes will come late and leave much earlier which will hamper some of the atmosphere. I'd say the athletes like it this way too- I know the NZ Hockey team were stoked to have seen the likes of Tsonga and Djokovic. Also each sport has their own yearly schedule, like tennis. Fitting in an extra week was pretty difficult.

ranfurly
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Piss off, Not having another week of sports get in the way of my Coronation Street!!!

Melange
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Its boring once the swimming is over and the druggies start their events, so they need to finish it after the first week

Chrissie-fan
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I've always been in favor of extending it to three weeks. As it is there's way too much going on at the same time to be able to properly follow even just the sports you care about.

nevetssllim
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I think it would be better if they started the Opening Ceremony on Sunday, had competitions through the next three weeks and had the Closing Ceremony on the Friday/Saturday. That allows for 19-20 days of competition which is probably just about right seeing as the Olympic programme is expanding.

I really hate the traffic-jam at the end of the first week when all of the core sports seem to collide.

gc-spurs
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I think it would be better if they started the Opening Ceremony on Sunday, had competitions through the next three weeks and had the Closing Ceremony on the Friday/Saturday. That allows for 19-20 days of competition which is probably just about right seeing as the Olympic programme is expanding.

I really hate the traffic-jam at the end of the first week when all of the core sports seem to collide.

That jam was the best part! Staying home all weekend flicking between channels... non-stop sporting awesomeness!

Four more years :sad:

Wert.
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:03 AM
This!

Only two weeks come on :o

and we wait 4 years for it. Not to mention how fast everything goes