PDA

View Full Version : Which events would you remove from (or add to) the Olympics?

Sean.
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Let's be honest, with respect to the competing athletes, there are some Olympic events that make you ask "The fuck am I watching? Why is this in the Olympics?".

If you were a member of the Olympic Committee, which sports would you vote to remove from the games?

Also, are there any non-Olympic sports that you think deserve a place?

Personally, I think Acrobatic Gymnastics would draw the crowds:

VmNBt1tzC6k

Mynarco
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Boxing, Race walking, and weightlifting (I just do NOT understand this sport, and there must be athletes getting injured every four years)

I am surprised there is no bowling in the Olympics.

Pops Maellard
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
BMX is fun, but it's so random because there are so many crashes :lol:. Really not sure that should've been added to Olympics.

eck
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Archery/Shooting.
I know this will sound ignorant on my part but to me, they don't really scream "sports".

delicatecutter
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Boxing, Race walking, and weightlifting (I just do NOT understand this sport, and there must be athletes getting injured every four years)

I am surprised there is no bowling in the Olympics.

:happy:

There is curling in the Winter Olympics though.

Just Do It
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I swear one day snooker will be an Olympic sport.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I would add softball and baseball

delicatecutter
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'm more than a bit irritated that golf is being added. That is more of a game than a sport. Might as well put poker and Monopoly in the Olympics.

eck
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
The 2020 Olympic program will include a maximum of 28 sports. At the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, the IOC will vote on whether to include one of the following sports in the program: baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding, wushu and beach soccer.

Saori Kimura Fan
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm not so sure removing would add anything/enhance to the games. I personally think, that when winning a gold medal at the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of your own sporting career then, just maybe they should not be there. As for adding more, it would take six months to complete the entire thing and my doctor only gives sick-notes for 4 weeks. ;):)

Sean.
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Rolling definitely deserves more recognition:

VBQW1hjdZNg&feature=relmfu

:p

The 2020 Olympic program will include a maximum of 28 sports. At the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, the IOC will vote on whether to include one of the following sports in the program: baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding, wushu and beach soccer.

Squash would get my vote. :yeah:

Some of the others... not so much!

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/8600000/2x07-The-Client-Animated-gif-the-office-8680639-325-187.gif

pov
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Let's be honest, with respect to the competing athletes, there are some Olympic events that make you ask "The fuck am I watching? Why is this in the Olympics?".

Yeah. But since people have that reaction about widely different events this is pointless. If you don't like an event - don't watch it.

That said, to set the core events I start with the original Olympics:

Track ("foot races")
Boxing
Wrestling
Pentathlon
Long Jump
Javelin
Discus
Equestrian

BTW - the contestants in the original Olympics competed nude since part of the point was the celebration of the human body.

The first modern games(1896) had:

Athletics
Cycling
Fencing
Gymnastics
Shooting
Swimming
Tennis
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Sean.
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I'm more than a bit irritated that golf is being added. That is more of a game than a sport. Might as well put poker and Monopoly in the Olympics.

Same, I don't think it's a good addition. Like Saori Kimura Fan said, in Golf, Football, Basketball, etc. winning Olympic gold is not the biggest achievement in the sport, so I don't think that they necessarily deserve a place.

Stadia
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Not sure how golf in the Olympics would work out :unsure:

Remove: boxing and football. Add: karate/wushu and futsal/beach soccer.

pov
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Same, I don't think it's a good addition. Like Saori Kimura Fan said, in Golf, Football, Basketball, etc. winning Olympic gold is not the biggest achievement in the sport, so I don't think that they necessarily deserve a place.

In basketball - the Olympics are the only major international competition.

Football has been in every modern Olympics except for two. It was an official Olympic sport before there was the World Cup. Also, currently in men's football there are age restrictions that make the squads generally different to WC squads.

Golf? Not one I'd pick but hey :shrug:

saul1333
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Boxing should stay, the corruption needs to be dealt with.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Not really. The result of playing golf depends on a physical activity, a physical skill. This is not the case for poker or monopoly.

azdaja
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
i would reduce the number of events in some sports, especially swimming. bmx should not be there and the same goes for beach volleyball and anything beach. i'm not too keen on boxing, modern pentathlon or weigh lifting but these sports have a lot of tradition at the olympics and they won't go away.

generally i think new sports should be added only if they have considerable global outreach, so a big fat no to baseball and softball. the governing bodies of those sports should be able to use the olympic games to further promote their sport only if they have had significant success with their own events. otherwise i would add some growing team sports played by few people but in countries on all or most continents (fistball, touch football, futsal...). out of the proposed individual sports perhaps karate would deserve a shot. perhaps also skating?

i'm on the wall about football. the matches have good attendances but it is not the biggest event in the sport and it's not even close. perhaps fifa should really submit futsal instead? after all, the rugby event from 2016 will be rugby sevens and not the main sport.

tennis-insomniac
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Golf will officially return for sure in the next Olympic. And if I'm not mistaken, rugby will too. Baseball used to be played but was removed after Beijing and doesn't seem to make any comeback soon.

I think this Olympic handles the number of medals and the kind of sports that are appropriate for the Olympic pretty well. And I also like the changes made by IOC to put golf and rugby in.

So I'd like it to stay the same.

Wiggly
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Squash should get in.

Anything with horses should be removed. 75% of the competitors are heirs/heiresses or European royalty.

azdaja
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
In basketball - the Olympics are the only major international competition.
this is not true. there is also basketball world cup and the continental championships and in most countries where basketball is popular they get plenty of coverage. however, it is true that the olympic torunament is not inferior to world cup.

Wiggly
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM
There's way too much medals in swimming, something needs to be done about this.
Lots of medals as well in track cycling.

Some athletes have 30 seconds every four years to win a medal. That's just as impressive if not more than someone who has 50 races to pick up one.

SloKid
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM
this is not true. there is also basketball world cup and the continental championships and in most countries where basketball is popular they get plenty of coverage. however, it is true that the olympic torunament is not inferior to world cup.
Indeed, in Europe the World Championships and the European Championships are a very big deal, World Championships probably on par with the Olympics, contrary claims are generally from the Americans, who place most weight to the Olympics.

Certinfy
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Some athletes have 30 seconds every four years to win a medal. That's just as impressive if not more than someone who has 50 races to pick up one.
Hardly anyone in track cycling competes in more than 2 events given the new rules, so that's fine. Couldn't agree more about swimming though, something really needs to be done.

NoppaNoppa
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Add Floorball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floorball) :D

Floorball WC-final 2008: Sweden - Finland, overtime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5GuAbdUi-I) Skip to 6.30 or so.

Only couple nations master that currently. So what. Same in Basketball where there is only ONE good nation.

Pros - Very good school sport that can be played in even worst indoor arenas. Even those that don´t want to move an inch are servicable (=No one is left behind) Requires movement, but if there is some fat dude in the school class, even he can be usefull. Place him in front of opponents goalie :) Or put him in goal. Laugh of the class can become hero! To play, teams only need one ball and stick for all except goalie. Field hockey nations should pick up current best very fast!

Cons - None. If headstart for Finland, Sweden and Swizerland doesn´t count as one.

nevetssllim
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I'd say men's football and synchronised swimming. The latter is impressive but it's not really a sport.

King Halep
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Didnt notice baseball and softball were gone, dont really miss them. Trampoline is pretty stupid. BMX is exciting, mountain bike is dull. I want to see ultra-deep ocean diving

C. Drone
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM
More spectator(?) sports is the better. BMX is a good example, its just really good watching. Even rhythmic gymnastics is one of those. Compare these to shooting or archery... I mean nothing against them, but besides the constant tension its barely watchable.

and bring back solo synchronized swimming. :oh:

USA lobby. :yawn: Of course if they would rule kayak-canoe sprint, there would be more race there too...

C. Drone
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Not sure how golf in the Olympics would work out :unsure:

Remove: boxing and football. Add: karate/wushu and futsal/beach soccer.

Both futsal and beachsoccer would be great. :yeah:
Olympic football is kind of a joke anyway, and requires the most expensive venues. Of course UK had no problem having many huge stadiums already (Wembley, Old Trafford, etc), but other countries need to invest a lot into even mid-sized ones.

Nicolás89
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Neither in tennis. :p

Race walk is an atrocious for the body I've heard, I rather watch the regular marathon.

I voted for golf & soccer (football) :help:

King Halep
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM
One football is more than enough. Its only included because it sells well. They should have one or two demonstration sports if they really have to put these novelty sports in. Then they can include whatever they want, snooker, darts, base jumping, go karting, hardcore wrestling

Tennisation
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I heard the strippers are pushing pole dancing to be added in the next games in Rio...no joke :tape:

saul1333
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Maybe add MMA, it would be HUGE in Brasil.

harloo
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:46 PM
:happy:

There is curling in the Winter Olympics though.
:haha::haha:We get a good kick out of watching curling at the Winter Olympics. One of my friends said it's like watching someone sweeping the floor for a gold medal.

harloo
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I say they to do away with archery, race walking, and rhythmic gymnastics which is pointless. I also agree with the poster who said to many medals are given away in swimming.

King Halep
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
the events in swimming have always been there, not like in kayak where they just added a bunch of new short events.

NoppaNoppa
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:57 PM
:haha::haha:We get a good kick out of watching curling at the Winter Olympics. One of my friends said it's like watching someone sweeping the floor for a gold medal.

Hey! Curling is cool. Like chess on ice. You dumbass.

canuckfan
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
The swimming program has been almost the same for more than 40 years so it's not changing any time soon. There also aren't that many swimmers that are good in more than one style. Phelps, Franklin and Lochte are the exception.

Chris 84
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:13 PM
i would reduce the number of events in some sports, especially swimming. bmx should not be there and the same goes for beach volleyball and anything beach. i'm not too keen on boxing, modern pentathlon or weigh lifting but these sports have a lot of tradition at the olympics and they won't go away.

i'm on the wall about football. the matches have good attendances but it is not the biggest event in the sport and it's not even close. perhaps fifa should really submit futsal instead? after all, the rugby event from 2016 will be rugby sevens and not the main sport.

pretty much agree (though i'm fine with boxing and weightlifting being there). swimming has far too many disciplines and i frankly couldn't care less if you are good at the backstroke. why not add in backward running as a track and field sport as well, then?

i'd ditch football (though i'd keep womens football), i'd ditch tennis and i'd ditch anything that isn't the pinnacle in that particular sport.

oh, the walk too. don't know why the hell that's a sport, let alone an olympics sport.

edificio
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Beach volleyball.

ivanban
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I would remove Equestrian, Indoor Cycling, BMX, Mountain Bike

Lulu.
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Race walking.

canuckfan
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I don't see the problem with beach volleyball. It's spectacular, fun to watch, competitive and it always has great crowds. There are good teams from everywhere in the world and it gives a fighting chance to great players from smaller countries who don't have any chance to qualify for the indoor tournament.

C. Drone
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
the events in swimming have always been there, not like in kayak where they just added a bunch of new short events.

they took out the longer ones, the number of events almost the same.

Vartan
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I think they should remove shooting sports. Also, I don't get why there is a team competition in table tennis and not tennis?

Malkmus_
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I'd get rid of Golf (shouldn't be in the Olympics), Football (as with Golf) and Synchro Swimming (boring). I'd add Squash, Netball and Softball.

I'd rather have futsal in the games than normal football.

dybbuk
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I don't understand how equestrian is a sport at all. I mean, what does one really need to do to be in the perfect shape for dressage? Not to be so obese your horse can't carry you? What high goals they set for themselves.

I actually don't mind synchronized swimming, but I don't know why it's there. I wonder why it's a sport but like dancing isn't. It's basically the same principle only one is in water and one's not.

Trih
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Dressage, by far. And all the other disciplines where the athlete is the horse and not the human. :facepalm:
On the other hand, shooting disciplines may look "non sports" but I think they require quite some training and skills. :shrug:

gentenaire
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I'd remove the wild water canoeing/kayak, just because the venue is way too expensive for the host country to build. It costs a fortune for about 80 athletes competing or so.

debopero
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM
So...what would be the point of having football, futsal, and beach football? Seems like overkill to me.

Sean.
Aug 12th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I don't understand how equestrian is a sport at all. I mean, what does one really need to do to be in the perfect shape for dressage? Not to be so obese your horse can't carry you? What high goals they set for themselves.

You've never ridden have you? There is far more to riding than pointing your horse in the right direction and saying "yee hah"! :p

tennis-insomniac
Aug 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I changed my mind, would like to see dancesports and tug of war introduced to the Olympics :p

but dance sports will really be messed up though, in Asian Game 2010 Guangzhou, Chinese got all 10 golds :tape:

Stadia
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Boxing should stay, the corruption needs to be dealt with.

The corruption within boxing is exactly why I think it should be removed :lol:

I just heard of men's rhythmic gymnastics :spit: Possible Olympic sport? :oh:

KournikovaFan91
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Drop
Golf
Football

Replace
Squash
Beach Soccer (on the provision the Beach Soccer World Cup is abolished)

Don't want Netball, way too Commonwealth, its hardly played outside the Commonwealth.

Golf shouldn't be there for various reasons since no golfer will give a damn about it and the cost of an 18 hole golf course shouldn't be burdened on cities.

Beach soccer could be like beach volleyball and have more of an atmosphere and be more entertaining than its traditional counterpart.

I actually think Tennis is a maybe sport, the fact tennis players jetted off to some prize money tournaments in North America rather than stay for the closing ceremony doesn't exactly embody the Olympic spirit. I saw many athletes who's events finished last week at the ceremony and the tennis players would rather be in Montreal :rolleyes: To combat this the ITF should spread the tennis across the two weeks, start it late in week one and finish middle of week 2. Fuck the WTA and ATP if they don't like it.

tennis-insomniac
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:33 PM
The corruption within boxing is exactly why I think it should be removed :lol:

I just heard of men's rhythmic gymnastics :spit: Possible Olympic sport? :oh:

oh what an eye-candy :lol:

SloKid
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I actually think Tennis is a maybe sport, the fact tennis players jetted off to some prize money tournaments in North America rather than stay for the closing ceremony doesn't exactly embody the Olympic spirit. I saw many athletes who's events finished last week at the ceremony and the tennis players would rather be in Montreal :rolleyes: To combat this the ITF should spread the tennis across the two weeks, start it late in week one and finish middle of week 2. Fuck the WTA and ATP if they don't like it.
To be fair, in loads of other sports there are no competitions that follow the Olympics straight away, cause of the way those sports are structured and tons of athletes in other sports left after they were done anyway. Those who stayed are basically freeloaders, who wanted to stay on and party and what not, so not sure if they are the best example.

I mean I can understand people being against tennis as an olympic sport, but the point you're making is rather weak.

JustPetko
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:51 PM
What to remove? Boxing, dressage in equestrian, football, 5000 metres in athletics.

Replace by: ALL team events in fencing, open categories in judo, team events in modern pentathlon, indoor hockey (instead of outdoor FH), doubles competition in table tennis.

Pops Maellard
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Wait, they're actually adding golf? :facepalm:

KournikovaFan91
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:54 PM
What that they'd rather go win prize money over the Olympic experience which may involve parties yet but after all that is the Olympic experience as well as everything else. I think partying with your teammates after your event is a much better example for someone than to tell them to follow the money.

The ITF should structure the Olympic event so that it takes the 2 weeks if they want to give tennis some level of credibility and the tours giving pity points was a disgrace too. From a points perspective the WTA treat it like a glorified MM. It should receive at least 1000 points in my opinion or be scrapped from the Olympic programme.

Getting your medal and pissing off out of town to win prize money somewhere and not supporting your fellow team members doesn't body the Olympic spirit at all.

Lets face it, the tennis players didn't have an Olympic experience, some didn't attend either ceremony, many lived in Wimbledon not the village and they all pissed off after it ended. Its a glorified Tashkent or Baku.

Regarding dressage, clearly the people who want it dropped don't ride horses :facepalm: In ways it takes more dedication than showjumping or eventing.

Pops Maellard
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:55 PM
What to remove? Boxing, dressage in equestrian, football, 5000 metres in athletics.

Replace by: ALL team events in fencing, open categories in judo, team events in modern pentathlon, indoor hockey (instead of outdoor FH), doubles competition in table tennis.
Long-distance running on the track are mind-numbing I agree. Lond-distance running is what the marathon is for :p.

Malkmus_
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah, Golf and Rugby union are being added in Rio. Neither needs to be really, Golf has majors and Rugby a WC.

KournikovaFan91
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:59 PM
It is Rugby 7s and I believe they are ending their WC once it is included. The Rugby 7s World Cup in 2013 will be the last one.

JustPetko
Aug 12th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Long-distance running on the track are mind-numbing I agree. Lond-distance running is what the marathon is for :p.

And it's kinda unfair to swimming, where's only mens 1500 free and womens 800 free.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM
It surprises me that rugby isn't an Olympic sport, not even rugby 7s.

Stadia
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM
^It will be come Rio :p

delicatecutter
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:18 AM
What is rugby?

KournikovaFan91
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Kinda similar to American football but different :confused: I find it hard to describe sometimes, but the guys are hot. :hearts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football

Stadia
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM

Yes to the team events in fencing. I've always wondered though why do they have to rotate the team events every Olympics? :scratch:

There was a triathlon relay in Singapore YOG. That would be cool to watch :yeah:

dybbuk
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Regarding dressage, clearly the people who want it dropped don't ride horses :facepalm: In ways it takes more dedication than showjumping or eventing.

Well to be fair I'm against all equestrian events because the human is not the one doing the large part of the physical labor. Dressage is just the most obvious one. There's just no way to justify someone riding a horse getting the same Gold medal as someone in gymnastics or running a marathon. I don't doubt the jockeys train a lot and it's difficult, but I think they should try to keep at least close to a constant level of work needed to be done to win medals across all sports. Some of the sports like equestrian and others are just so obviously less difficult and taxing than the other sports there's no need to even argue over it. There are so many sports more deserving of being in the Olympics than equestrian, where the athletes give all of their bodies to master it.

nevetssllim
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I think race-walking can sometimes be pretty exciting. The final of the women's 20km walk produced one of the most exciting climaxes of the athletics programme and the winner smashed the world record in the process. :worship:

KournikovaFan91
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Well to be fair I'm against all equestrian events because the human is not the one doing the large part of the physical labor. Dressage is just the most obvious one. There's just no way to justify someone riding a horse getting the same Gold medal as someone in gymnastics or running a marathon. I don't doubt the jockeys train a lot and it's difficult, but I think they should try to keep at least close to a constant level of work needed to be done to win medals across all sports. Some of the sports like equestrian and others are just so obviously less difficult and taxing than the other sports there's no need to even argue over it. There are so many sports more deserving of being in the Olympics than equestrian, where the athletes give all of their bodies to master it.

If we were basing it on taxing sports then Archery and Shooting should hardly be included either, but they like horse riding involve immense skill.

To become a top level rider is probably more difficult than many sports since your piece of apparatus has a mind of its own.

Sean.
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:39 AM

Are you against shooting then? There's not much physical effort involved in that! ;)

As I said before, you've clearly never ridden. I guess dressage's downfall is that part of the marking criteria is that it's supposed to look effortless for the rider. In fact they're supposed to make it appear as if they're not giving the horse any commands at all.

I can tell you it's actually incredibly difficult, they're controlling exactly when & how the horse raises and places it's legs, how long it's stride length is, it's exact head position, etc. The horse might be the one going up and down, but the rider it 100% the one in control.

Horse mastery is a huge skill in itself.

NoppaNoppa
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I think race-walking can sometimes be pretty exciting. The final of the women's 20km walk produced one of the most exciting climaxes of the athletics programme and the winner smashed the world record in the process. :worship:

Sometimes? Allways!

You did not see mens 50km race walk final! Top 3 walked home ok. But anyone outside was carried away. Literally. Of those in Top 20 about 10 were hospitalized! Our man Kempas was gunning for personal record of 3.55.00 and was in that speed for 40 km. What happened then is not for kids to see!

Kworb
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Remove: basketball (too local), boxing (too violent), race walk (too stupid)
Add: none

ico4498
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:17 AM
remove everything with oars, horses, synchronized and rhythmic.

ViceUltramontain
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I would remove sports where the Games are not the biggest event, like football and tennis. And definitely not take golf back.

Nicolás89
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Are you against shooting then? There's not much physical effort involved in that! ;)

As I said before, you've clearly never ridden. I guess dressage's downfall is that part of the marking criteria is that it's supposed to look effortless for the rider. In fact they're supposed to make it appear as if they're not giving the horse any commands at all.

I can tell you it's actually incredibly difficult, they're controlling exactly when & how the horse raises and places it's legs, how long it's stride length is, it's exact head position, etc. The horse might be the one going up and down, but the rider it 100% the one in control.

For more hard & physical that a sport can be I'm normally inclined to hate everything that would involve hurting & torturing an animal, so for me equestrian should be removed.

KarlyM*
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Equestrian - if you want a sport with horses, then bring back Polo. I would like to see Sailing replaced with another water sport. I think the Race Walk should go. Men's Football needs to stop being a junior tournament or get the hell out. I'm not liking the idea of Golf being an Olympic sport, but I'll wait and see.

Martian Jeza
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:59 AM
FOr Belgium to win a GOLD Medal : Veldrijden ( I don't know how you say that in English )

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Squash please, and Lawn Bowls, Rugby Sevens,

Take out Soccer (really? Under 23s'?) and Tennis,

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:43 AM

I'd actually just like to add my two cents to Sean's post,

Dressage and Equine events are of immense skill and take hours upon hours, months upon months to be able to acheive what these athletes contribute with on their horses.

I gave up Dressage 7 years ago, due to the time contraints, but also because of the money involved, and the fact that I wasn't able to get a credible horse out of it for dressage to a level that I commanded, (Ok, I'm a little biased, I prefer Show jumping and Hunting),

It may look like these athletes just jump on the horse, and the horse does all the work, but infact, that rider sitting upon their mount, with slight hand gestures, knocks, clicks, feet, knees, heels sternum, is controlling the horse with the smallest indications to allow it to perform what it does within Dressage.

It's a beautiful mastery, and shows a deep and affectionate relationship with man and horse.

As far as "torturing", thats a ridiculous assumption to make, and incredibly ignorant, but I guess when you havn't been brought up around horses, you wouldn't have much idea to begin with.

Barktra
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Eventhough I love basketball I say drop it. USA always wins and they already have something that makes them important

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Besides, If you are going to get rid of Dressage, you may as well get rid of The Three Day Event, that contributes dressage within the first day.

No point having Equestrian if you can't have Dressage, to me it either goes with it or it doesn't come at all.

Anyhoo, Its here to stay :-)

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I'd get rid of Golf (shouldn't be in the Olympics), Football (as with Golf) and Synchro Swimming (boring). I'd add Squash, Netball and Softball.

I'd rather have futsal in the games than normal football.

Netball is in the Commonwealth really, And I could tell you the teams for Gold and Silver for the next 10 years haha :-

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I'd remove the wild water canoeing/kayak, just because the venue is way too expensive for the host country to build. It costs a fortune for about 80 athletes competing or so.

+1

Pops Maellard
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I think definitely Mountain Biking should stay. Besides BMX it's the only remotely interesting bike event.

tennisbum79
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Badminton - this should relegated to backyard BBQ activity
Table tennis - Drinking hall

I want to keep all the original events, I would like the horses stuff.
If the horses are not racing, then what are doing?

And what the hell is dressage???

it is a way for rich people to win Olympic medals w/o sweating. They are wearing their fancy picnic attires
Why Isn't Polo in the Olympics or horse racing; those are real sports that involve horses

skanky~skanketta
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Archery, shooting - OUT
Squash - IN

skanky~skanketta
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:13 AM
And Equestrian - DEFINITELY OUT!

August
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Definitely golf, OG would have no prestige in that sport. Also tennis, there would be other sports for which OG would be more important. And I think BMX cycling belongs to X-Games, not Olympic Games. Football is a tough one, for men it's a junior tournament, but obviously for women it is more important. (Is women's Olympic football or Women's World Cup more important?)

azdaja
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
It is Rugby 7s and I believe they are ending their WC once it is included. The Rugby 7s World Cup in 2013 will be the last one.
correct, the olympic tournament will be the biggest prize in rugby sevens. it will also give countries like fiji and tonga a chance to fight for medals and it's fun to watch (though they could make matches a little longer, 2 times 10 minutes should be the rule, not the exception).

in the same way i think football should be replaced by one of its "lesser" variants, preferably futsal. i don't see a reason for removing futsal world cup, though. it would work like basketball and volleball. actually rugby sevens wolrd cup didn't really need to be discontinued either but ok.

Eventhough I love basketball I say drop it. USA always wins and they already have something that makes them important
basketball is together with football and volleyball one of the few sport games with a full global outreach. it's even the national sport in some countries (lithuania, for example), so it would be wrong to drop it even though the americans (almost) always win.

I think definitely Mountain Biking should stay. Besides BMX it's the only remotely interesting bike event.
i agree, it was interesting to see the races. i might be biased, though, because that was the only sport i actually trained to a decent level and i like it a lot.

i don't understand why are some people so hostile to synchronised swimming when the real problem in aquatics is too many events in races. really, it's no wonder that one person can win more than 20 medals in swimming when you can swim in 4 different styles and combine them over different distances alone or in a team. is there any other sport where this can happen?

i'm fine with shooting but i've been wondering if men and women could compete against each other there? it would be an interesting twist.

ivanban
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I'd actually just like to add my two cents to Sean's post,

Dressage and Equine events are of immense skill and take hours upon hours, months upon months to be able to acheive what these athletes contribute with on their horses.

I gave up Dressage 7 years ago, due to the time contraints, but also because of the money involved, and the fact that I wasn't able to get a credible horse out of it for dressage to a level that I commanded, (Ok, I'm a little biased, I prefer Show jumping and Hunting),

It may look like these athletes just jump on the horse, and the horse does all the work, but infact, that rider sitting upon their mount, with slight hand gestures, knocks, clicks, feet, knees, heels sternum, is controlling the horse with the smallest indications to allow it to perform what it does within Dressage.

It's a beautiful mastery, and shows a deep and affectionate relationship with man and horse.

As far as "torturing", thats a ridiculous assumption to make, and incredibly ignorant, but I guess when you havn't been brought up around horses, you wouldn't have much idea to begin with.

So, in other words you would like someone to sit on your back and tell you where to go and what to do, day after day after day......:scratch:

C. Drone
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM

this should be one of the most important aspect for any sports.

olivero
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM
why is everyone so much against walk race? :shrug: it's pretty cool event and very demanding physically and technically. Same with MTB - it's quite entertaining. Of course long lasting races (running, walking, biking, sailing) aren't as exciting as the short ones but they belong to the Olympics.
also shooting and archery can be very exciting! (though I don't understand the rules in trap and skeet :p)

I think adding golf is a big joke (missed it in the poll). Same with BMX.
When it comes to Synchro swimming I'm torn...I think it should be removed, if not then they should allow male athletes to compete as well (as gay as it sounds I do think this is sexist). The same applies to Rythmic Gymnastics (although this definitely should stay in the programme).
Kite-surfing will probably be in Rio instead of windsurfing which I think is a shame (they could do both events).

I have to say I'm thrilled to see rugby in Rio :cheer: can't wait.

rrfnpump
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Race Walk: just dont see the sense of walking fast when you can run
Sailing: has way too many events. cut it to two for men and two for women
Trampolin: make it part of gymnastics

wta_zuperfann
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Eliminate curling in winter, BMX, table tennis, kayak, badminton in summer. I would also reduce the amount of track & swimming events. The opening/closing ceremonies are too long as well ~ reduce them to no more than 1 hour.

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Race walking :o What's the point of walking in a weird position and shaking hips?:o Not even nice to look aesthetically.

Add squash/wushu so our country have more chance to medal.:cheer: :oh:

Super Dave
Aug 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah, screw golf.

wta_zuperfann
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Race walking is not aesthetic but, trust me, it is VERY demanding. The 20KM is bad enough. Now imagine doing it for 50K - ugh!

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Race walking is not aesthetic but, trust me, it is VERY demanding. The 20KM is bad enough. Now imagine doing it for 50K - ugh!

They should either drop Marathon or race walk.:o though race walk indeed one of the few extremely demanding sport. at least half of them almost passed out after reaching finishing line.:o

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:42 PM
So, in other words you would like someone to sit on your back and tell you where to go and what to do, day after day after day......:scratch:

Hang On, let me just go out to the paddock and consult my horses if they like me sitting on there back and telling them where to go and what to do, day after day.

Don't marginalise equestrian pursuits to try and argue something miniscule and redundant, if it had to be stripped as an olympic event it wouldn't come down to something so rediculous and petty.

As you can see, the crowds at these events are jam packed and very popular.

Sorry, unfortunately it is here to stay.

ico4498
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:11 PM
0IakPaJHqCM

make your own decision.

debopero
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:27 PM
i'm fine with shooting but i've been wondering if men and women could compete against each other there? it would be an interesting twist.

Yeah, I don't understand why sports like shooting and archery (or even sailing) are separate by sex. Do men have some advantage in these sports :scratch: ?

Monica_Rules
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Football has got to go, as has race walking. Squash should defo be included. Can;t believe that lost out to Golf last time.

Really glad that Rugby 7's got in. I think Rugbys profile is going to sky rocket now

Nicolás89
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Shooting was a mixed sport until Barcelona 1992 I think, where a chinese woman won the gold medal, then by Atlanta it was already a separate sport, go figure. :tape:

I think in archery you do need some sort of muscular strenght so I guess men do have some advantage over women.

Hashim.
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I would love for Twenty20 Cricket to be added.:hearts:

Roookie
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Rhythm gymastics/Synchronised Swimming and only-for-women "sports" should go.

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I would love for Twenty20 Cricket to be added.:hearts:

I like cricket, so I'm slightly biased, but there would be onyl a handful of teams competing.

Number19
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Eliminate curling in winter,

:fiery:

moby
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I would remove a bunch of swimming events. There are clearly too many, and not enough distinction between the skills needed for each event, hence the same people hogging the medals.

Look at this stat: 11 of the top 13 medal winners are swimmers; the other 2 are Bolt and Felix, arguably the top male and female athletes of the games by virtue of the preeminence of the sprints in the Olympics.

There might also be a few too many track events, but at least the number of distances is not further multiplied by the number of styles. And track doesn't have the "IM", which would be like hurdling 100m, sprinting 100m, racewalking 100m, and steeplechasing the last 100.

Equestrian should be out, squash should be in. Curling should also go.

edificio
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I would remove a bunch of swimming events. There are clearly too many, and not enough distinction between the skills needed for each event, hence the same people hogging the medals.

Look at this stat: 11 of the top 13 medal winners are swimmers; the other 2 are Bolt and Felix, arguably the top male and female athletes of the games by virtue of the preeminence of the sprints in the Olympics.

There might also be a few too many track events, but at least the number of distances is not further multiplied by the number of styles. And track doesn't have the "IM", which would be like hurdling 100m, sprinting 100m, racewalking 100m, and steeplechasing the last 100.

Equestrian should be out, squash should be in. Curling should also go.

They need to add an IM. That sounds great (but dump out racewalking for 800 meters and add the 1500 meters). It would be a test to see who is the best sprinter and long-distance runner.

Number19
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Curling should also go.

What is with the hate for curling? Give us Canadians something. We have hockey and curling to be great at, and that's it. Leave curling alone. :armed:

ivanban
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hang On, let me just go out to the paddock and consult my horses if they like me sitting on there back and telling them where to go and what to do, day after day.

Don't marginalise equestrian pursuits to try and argue something miniscule and redundant, if it had to be stripped as an olympic event it wouldn't come down to something so rediculous and petty.

As you can see, the crowds at these events are jam packed and very popular.

Sorry, unfortunately it is here to stay.

Crowds at bull-fighting events are jam packed and very popular, but it doesn't make them OK either :shrug:

First part of your answer is rather lame, too. Those horses are bred with one purpose only

ranfurly
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Crowds at bull-fighting events are jam packed and very popular, but it doesn't make them OK either :shrug:

First part of your answer is rather lame, too. Those horses are bred with one purpose only

What your not getting is that there is world wide condemnation of bull fighting, I can't actually pin point a time or a place where the last equestrian event I went to, there were opponents of Dressage vocalising their "torture" of horses"..

At the end of the day, your argument is weak, because in equine fraternities, the horses are very well looked after, and yes, there is element of risk associated, but thats part and parcel of it, it's something which just happens, and is dealt with professionally by the international governing body.

whats wrong with breeding animals for the purposes of one purpose? Oxes are bred in areas for purposes of pulling carts, no doubt coming from a country such as yours, you would see alot of peasants on the back of rickety carts being pulled by animals which look like they need a good feed.

Clydesdales are bred for ploughing, surley they hate being in a paddock from dawn until dusk. Beagles are bred for custom controlled/sniffer dogs, surley they wouldn't like their noses being stuck in bags for 7 years of their life.

Bred for a purpose, a job, a specific event, don't marginalise it mate, you fall on deaf ears once too many.

Find a reason which is site specific mate, don't try and go down the "animal rights" path for your argument,

Better yet, go and ride a horse, it's the best feeling, I'm sure in Serbia, or where ever you are from, there are a few nice donkeys or goats which you could test your ability on :lol:

delicatecutter
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:04 PM
What is with the hate for curling? Give us Canadians something. We have hockey and curling to be great at, and that's it. Leave curling alone. :armed:

You have figure skating also! :cheer:

ivanban
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Better yet, go and ride a horse, it's the best feeling, I'm sure in Serbia, or where ever you are from, there are a few nice donkeys or goats which you could test your ability on :lol:

Oh, how classy of you, expected nothing better ;)

Nicolás89
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:36 PM

I find curling extremely boring, IDK how it has so many fans. :o

ranfurly
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Oh, how classy of you, expected nothing better ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9GHoR-RJLy8/S9sQLBY8RgI/AAAAAAAAQ1U/XBdUOy7QWsg/s1600/horse+laugh.jpg

Not a problem, maybe in time, your emerging middle class could participate in equine events, and you might have something to shout joy over when they place in the medals. (scoff)

Laura_VeeFan
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
They should get rid of golf. I would say football as well, but football gives the opportunity for the whole country to experience a bit of the games.

Stuff like dressage isn't exciting for me, so I personally would take it out. Sports like BMX and even rhythmic gymnastics are exciting to watch so they should stay.

ivanban
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Not a problem, maybe in time, your emerging middle class could participate in equine events, and you might have something to shout joy over when they place in the medals. (scoff)

Our emerging middle class knows that Olympics aren't place for horses but for humans only :wavey:

ranfurly
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Our emerging middle class knows that Olympics aren't place for horses but for humans only :wavey:

looks like the emerging middle class needs to get a few clues :lol: something money can't buy :tape:

King Halep
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:34 AM
They should get rid of golf. I would say football as well, but football gives the opportunity for the whole country to experience a bit of the games.

Stuff like dressage isn't exciting for me, so I personally would take it out. Sports like BMX and even rhythmic gymnastics are exciting to watch so they should stay.

Its true, the only bit of Olympics I got to experience was football :lol:

HawkAussie
Aug 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Add Floorball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floorball) :D

Floorball WC-final 2008: Sweden - Finland, overtime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5GuAbdUi-I) Skip to 6.30 or so.

Only couple nations master that currently. So what. Same in Basketball where there is only ONE good nation.

Pros - Very good school sport that can be played in even worst indoor arenas. Even those that don´t want to move an inch are servicable (=No one is left behind) Requires movement, but if there is some fat dude in the school class, even he can be usefull. Place him in front of opponents goalie :) Or put him in goal. Laugh of the class can become hero! To play, teams only need one ball and stick for all except goalie. Field hockey nations should pick up current best very fast!

Cons - None. If headstart for Finland, Sweden and Swizerland doesn´t count as one.

Basically indoor hockey

C. Drone
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:19 AM
they should rewamp synchronized swimming and mix with rhythmix gymnastics. Add balls, hoops, dolphins and seals. Or maybe some sharks for higher scores.

Zhao
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:28 AM
i would propose to cancel table tennis and badminton esp the latter

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM

:spit:

Thiudans
Aug 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Anything to do with horses. People complain about things like cycling etc., but at least these athletes (are actually athletes, and) actually do most of the work.

Michalka
Aug 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM

:lol: No for badminton, it deserves its place in the olympics but i will remove table tennis for sure

also race walking, equestrian, golf should be removed. i have no problem with synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics :angel:

Stevie_J
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I think no football or golf (the olympics are just not important inthese sports)

hellas719
Aug 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I would ditch equestrian, shooting, track cycling, and flat water canoeing. I would bring in softball.

King Halep
Aug 16th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Whose idea was it to include slalom canoeing. Those courses cost a fortune to build and become a white elephant immediately because they are useless for anything else.

Nicolás89
Aug 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Whose idea was it to include slalom canoeing. Those courses cost a fortune to build and become a white elephant immediately because they are useless for anything else.

Courses can still be natural though.