PDA

View Full Version : "Information wants to be free"

pov
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
"Information wants to be free." An oft-quoted phrase, almost a mantra for many. I was surprised to find that it was taken from a quote which, taken in context, gives a completely different viewpoint to the one represented by the well-known (isolated) sentence.

Information Wants To Be Free. Information also wants to be expensive. Information wants to be free because it has become so cheap to distribute, copy, and recombine—too cheap to meter. It wants to be expensive because it can be immeasurably valuable to the recipient. That tension will not go away. It leads to endless wrenching debate about price, copyright, ‘intellectual property’, the moral rightness of casual distribution, because each round of new devices makes the tension worse, not better.
- Stewart Brand

*JR*
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
"Information wants to be free." An oft-quoted phrase, almost a mantra for many. I was surprised to find that it was taken from a quote which, taken in context, gives a completely different viewpoint to the one represented by the well-known (isolated) sentence.

Oh, the Stewart Brand of Whole Earth Catalog fame. Uh, tell me: how many royalty checks did he ever refuse, because he was in effect charging for compiling information?

And I realize that the publishers, the big book sellers, etc. often make more than the author. Which changes nothing; its like he was Orwell, saying: "Information wants 2B free... except when I sell it". :rolleyes:

Now let's relate that to internet boards, including this one (and other commercially owned ones that bit of hypocrisy was posted on by whomever). A short quotation like that is of course Fair Use, though you should also list the source.

But what about the long articles that ppl c/p to boards? Sure they generally post links, but also articles in full, not excerpts. Sorry, but that's stealing the intellectual property of the actual writer and the publication (even an online one).

pov
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
^ All that may or may not have validity. However, it's irrelevant to the point of this thread.

*JR*
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
All that may or may not have validity. However, it's irrelevant to the point of this thread.

It is totally relevant, as "information" might as well not exist, without ppl gathering it. BTW, I agree with Brand's implied premise, that "truth is an end in itself" (independent of its use). But determining truth requires, yes, in... for... mation. :shrug: Again, he was paid for authoring the Whole Earth Catalog, and so are even the most leftist (professional) journalists.

HippityHop
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:10 PM
It is totally relevant, as "information" might as well not exist, without ppl gathering it. BTW, I agree with Brand's implied premise, that "truth is an end in itself" (independent of its use). But determining truth requires, yes, in... for... mation. :shrug: Again, he was paid for authoring the Whole Earth Catalog, and so are even the most leftist (professional) journalists.

Shades of The Prisoner. "Who are you?" "You are number six." "What do you want?"
"In...for..mation." :)