PDA

View Full Version : US Open 2012: New Yoooooork, Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Honestly, I just opened this thread so that MashaFan01 wouldn't. :p

Let's do this Mash! :rocker2:

Trih
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I said I would do it but then I forgot!
I would have called it "Hardcourt, better, faster, stronger." :angel: to quote Daft Punk :p

Let's go! :rocker2:

Stonerpova
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Loving the title :hearts:

Let's get past R4 win this thing Mash :cheer:

Break My Rapture
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I would have called it "Hardcourt, better, faster, stronger." :angel: to quote Daft Punk :p

Ohh I love that title. :yeah:

Reptilia
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:30 AM

That's awesome :awww:

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM

I hope you weren't talking about Masha, cause, you know... :oh:

Trih
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure I got what you mean :lol:

Charlatan
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Yayyyyyy :bounce:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0909/classic.us.open.images/images/maria-sharapova.jpg

Time for some glory!

cautiouslip
Aug 11th, 2012, 02:38 AM
^LOVE that above pic. One of my favourites ever :hearts:

gc-spurs
Aug 11th, 2012, 06:09 AM

This is a good call. I rate MashaFan01 just above Caoimahan in thread opening jinxedness cause 2/2.

nelsondan
Aug 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM
^LOVE that above pic. One of my favourites ever :hearts:

I do not recognize it..?

WowWow
Aug 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
:cheer:

18majors
Aug 11th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Thanks, Virgin Mary!

cautiouslip
Aug 11th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I do not recognize it..?

I'm pretty sure its after her semi final with mauresmo 2006 when she finally broke the semipova curse :drool:

**mashafierce**
Aug 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Yay for you opening the thread you are one my favorite posters.I really really want her to win the title:drool:.It would be a dream come true.So good luck!

Kon.
Aug 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Oh we have a thread. :cheer:
Nice title!

jameshazza
Aug 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM
It's gonna be so long. Actually I'm away camping/hiking all next week so I really only have a week after that to wait. :hearts:

gc-spurs
Aug 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah and I'll be recovering from my Olympic sport overload coma, so really not long. So spoiled for sport this year.

JuviaCroft
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Like the title!

zigga
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I can't wait for NY, my favourite slam :) I hope Maria will do well there this year :cheer:
But we still have a long wait till the tournament starts...

nelsondan
Aug 11th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty sure its after her semi final with mauresmo 2006 when she finally broke the semipova curse :drool:

Thanks...post number 6990 in the 2006 collection.

Craig.
Aug 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Just don't flop, Mash.

Stonerpova
Aug 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
And don't ruin your 3-set record.

Crux Squall
Aug 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I hope She will play all match on night sessions. Since winning UsOpen 2006 She hasn't lost a match on night sessions in here.;)

Queenpova
Aug 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Please lose in the SF

http://uploadir.com/u/97209u.gif

JamieOwen3
Aug 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8da9mbIjX1qk68v0.gif

humanabstract
Aug 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Yay, a thread already! :dance:
At least QF, Mash!

And don't ruin your 3-set record.

This, please. :sobbing::scared:

Mistress of Evil
Aug 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM
make the quaters!

Jeffery
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:05 AM
I think I'm becoming paranoid but:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7757/semttulowkv.jpg

Have you already thought about this possibility? :help:

domon17th
Aug 12th, 2012, 03:12 AM

Yes! I feel so safe seeing you as the thread started for a slam thread!

I think I'm becoming paranoid but:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7757/semttulowkv.jpg

Have you already thought about this possibility? :help:

Leave the worrying to others, there's nothing we can do. Just enjoy and hope for the best.

MM_1257
Aug 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM
And she got the 9 month stomach virus from the Holy Ghost?? Because all these yrs she did know how not to get it, no??
Stop it people... She can be tired and drained and doesn't wanna play or she can indeed have an infection; those can be mild or severe lasting to a week or some even more and drain the person totally; make them dehidrated and weak... What do you want; a picture of her sitting on a toilet or a picture of her vomiting?? We have to take what they tell us; we can doubt if she indeed has a virus or not, but the fact is, she can't play 2 tournaments... Until they tell us something else, that is all we have. On to the next project - Sugarpova.

Shivank17
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Maria Sharapova doesn't wear her engagement ring to 2 events, her relationship is over.
Maria Sharapova pulls out from two tournaments, she is pregnant.
What next? :rolls:

Anyway, here's hoping all of Maria's 7 matches are night sessions. :lol:

MM_1257
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Maria Sharapova doesn't wear her engagement ring to 2 events, her relationship is over.

Anyway, here's hoping all of Maria's 7 matches are night sessions. :lol:

Next? Her birth date and city of birth are not correct. Those who have been reading the thread about Bodo's article, know what I am talking about. :p :lol: ;)

nelsondan
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM
:

She weighs more than 130?

NashaP
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't know about you guys but if Serena and Maria were to meet, I would rather them meet in the SF than in the F

lefty24
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I don't know about you guys but if Serena and Maria were to meet, I would rather them meet in the SF than in the F

Agreed. Obviously after the clay season Maria doesn't have that bridesmaid hurdle to get over, but she still seems a lot tighter in finals than in the SF's.

NashaP
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Agreed. Obviously after the clay season Maria doesn't have that bridesmaid hurdle to get over, but she still seems a lot tighter in finals than in the SF's.

And if she's gonna have to beat Serena to get the title, then Sf or F won't make a difference. But for me, a loss in the SF hurts less than a loss in the F.

Kon.
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I would too.
She's already awfully nervous when playing Serena, a final adds even more pressure.

AniaSharapova
Aug 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
And if she's gonna have to beat Serena to get the title, then Sf or F won't make a difference. But for me, a loss in the SF hurts less than a loss in the F.

Absolutely agree. If she thinks about the title she must beat Serena sooner or later. Also losing in the final when whole world looking at you and you have to stand with artificial smile on your face and giving speech must be very difficult especially when only concept in your mind is to hide in locker room or going to hotel as soon as it's possible.

JoPova
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Great title! Can't wait for the last Slam of the year! :cheer:

cowsonice
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Maria disappearing for most of the summer :sad:

Queenpova
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Maria disappearing for most of the summer :sad:

She's played quite a lot this year, just be glad she isnt a player that's constantly injured like Petkovic :sad:

Anyways, USO is my fave slam! well, it used to be until these last years

cowsonice
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM
U.S. season gives me stable streams and reasonable times to watch :lol:

Hope she takes a WC somewhere. Unlikely though.

Queenpova
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
can anyone recap which players maria has a negative h2h against? (dont count mugs like oudin, just players she has played more than once)

Qetusi
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:55 PM
can anyone recap which players maria has a negative h2h against? (dont count mugs like oudin, just players she has played more than once)

http://sharapova.ru/stat-head-to-head.html

Charlatan
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Serena-Sharapova (9-2) :tape:
Henin-Sharapova (7-3)
Clijsters-Sharapova (5-4)
Azarenka-Sharapova (5-4)
Myskina-Sharapova (3-2)
Mauresmo-Sharapova (3-1)

Kitten63
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:08 PM
http://sharapova.ru/stat-head-to-head.html

Arn 0-1 :lol:

JamieOwen3
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Henin-Sharapova (7-3)
Azarenka-Sharapova (5-4)
Myskina-Sharapova (3-2)
Mauresmo-Sharapova (3-1)

the bottom 4 Maria has won the last meeting with them so at least that's something :lol: or in myskina's case last 2 matches.

MM_1257
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Henin-Sharapova (7-3)
Azarenka-Sharapova (5-4)
Myskina-Sharapova (3-2)
Mauresmo-Sharapova (3-1)

Why :tape:?? She got 2 wins... It could have been 11:0 then what would we say? :sobbing:

gc-spurs
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Ugh Henin h2h should be 6-4 (Aus 2006) #stillbitter
Kimothy should be 5-4 to Maria. Dumb rain.

I like that her and Vika have had 9 meetings already.

Kitten63
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:08 AM

I like that her and Vika have had 9 meetings already.

Even though I love Justine I'm still mad about RG 2010. It would have meant so much to see her beat Juju at RG.

domon17th
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Because I seriously think their H2H gap really shouldn't be as big as it is. She could have won 05 AO semi, 08 Charleston QF. The serena-pova H2H is the only thing that irks and itches me to no end :lol:

Precisely. After that London match that didn't happen, I often think back to how different the rivalry would play out if only Maria took those MPs in that 05 AO semi :sobbing:

That's the thing about her H2H with the belgians, they were never distinct results (Like against Sarin). So many close matches that swung both ways and could easily tilt the H2H in favour of Masha.

Even though I love Justine I'm still mad about RG 2010. It would have meant so much to see her beat Juju at RG.

This. But also THE match that introduced me to Claypova, I lived for her Serve-&-volley :hearts:

Stonerpova
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
If you take away the final there were so many positives for Maria at the Olympics. The serve looked better and better with each match and she was really finding the range on the forehand. I know she goes into New York with no matches but she did pretty well at Australia with a similar scenario. If she gets an easy first couple rounds and can play her way into the event there's no reason she can't go far.

Tennisvampire
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
At this point, and considering her recent USO record, I just want her to reach at least the quarters. That being said, watch me get really pressed if she doesn't win the whole thing :lol:

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Henin-Sharapova (7-3)
Azarenka-Sharapova (5-4)
Myskina-Sharapova (3-2)
Mauresmo-Sharapova (3-1)

Should be 10-1 (YEC 2004) :o

:p

ziros
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Yes,but if you're going to say Serena should have won that one,you should say that Maria should have won AO '05 - she had MP

Shivank17
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:15 AM
And who knows had she taken the SP against Rena at Wimbledon 10, or even hit a smash in the tie-break instead of hitting the swinging-volley right into Rena, it could have been 7-4.

Shivank17
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Oh I see, Maria's biggest fan Akil is lurking around :inlove:

Charlatan
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:30 AM
^^ LOL That point annoyed me so much! There was a big ass open court on the left side but NO, retard-pova chose to hit the ball right to where sarin was standing :spit:

It proved crucial at the end and martha payed the price for it

Shivank17
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:35 AM
^^ LOL That point annoyed me so much! There was a big ass open court on the left side but NO, retard-pova chose to hit the ball right to where sarin was standing :spit:

EXACTLYYYYY!!!!! :o

I mean, Serena was like wayyy behind the baseline, and she hit it right there :o One point could have made so much of a difference, and the fact that she was play SO well, those returns on Serena's serves :drool: but then just gifted the 1st set. :facepalm:

shaktincredible
Aug 17th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Sharapova out of Montreal and Cincy to prepare earning huge points at US open, Tokyo, Beijing, and YEC!! :)

madmax
Aug 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I wonder if missing so much hardcourt practice will make her hungrier and go for it during the Asian swing...:unsure: That would be indeed a nice quest to finally grab that long awaited YE 1st spot

Valkyre
Aug 17th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Maria will be hungry, I am sure of it. She missed Cincinnati one of her favorite tournaments. I am sure she is craving for some hardcourt action.

Davai Maria!

denny5576
Aug 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I wonder if missing so much hardcourt practice will make her hungrier and go for it during the Asian swing...:unsure: That would be indeed a nice quest to finally grab that long awaited YE 1st spot
I am not so optimistic about USO (not enough training and practice), but expect good results in Tokyo, Beijing and Istanbul.
However year end #1 will be very, very difficult for Maria. In reality if Vika will have in NY better or equal result to Maria's then practically will be nearly impossible for Maria to be #1

fanofmaria
Aug 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
My beautiful Maria! I hope your batteries are recharged, your body fresh, and your memory and sting of the last two matches have relit that fire in you. Welcome back to the Big Apple girl!:wavey:

MM_1257
Aug 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I really am not obsessed with the YE no.1 or anything... Top 5 finish is enough for me. I do not expect a stellar USO simply because practicing or not, she sucks there, it would be nice if she played the Asian part of the tour and some good results there would be nice to see... But there's no such thing that I expect now.. OK, I do, a good YEC... :oh:

massive
Aug 17th, 2012, 02:12 PM

IKR? And the servebot looked so ridiculously proud as if it was some GOAT shot, fistpumping at Maria... She was lucky she got that set from ForehandLessPova in the TB.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
vozas, this time you are a little bit less transparent with having another flag and all but still its quite clear that it is you. :hug:

perseus2006
Aug 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Another delightful note: Queenpova is banned!

"Joy to the world!"

shaktincredible
Aug 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM
why happy? eventhough h/she is a supertroll, i kinda like her :(

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Another delightful note: Queenpova is banned!

"Joy to the world!"

http://i48.tinypic.com/261jnms.jpg

Trih
Aug 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Trolololpova :[ what did he do to get banned? Went too far as usual ? :angel:

gc-spurs
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Thank god.

nectar69
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Did anybody see Serena's match with Kerber in Cincy? Serena looked awful. She seems to be slightly injured or something. If this Serena shows up at the Open, even Pova can beat her. I think Maria will have a good U.S. Open. I think the one to watch for is Kvitova, she's on fire right now.

MM_1257
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Did anybody see Serena's match with Kerber in Cincy? Serena looked awful. She seems to be slightly injured or something. If this Serena shows up at the Open, even Pova can beat her. I think Maria will have a good U.S. Open. I think the one to watch for is Kvitova, she's on fire right now.

Wrong! You underestimate the capacity of Pova's Brain to freeze her. :p;):p

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:47 PM

Don't get your hopes up, buddy... :p

humanabstract
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:49 PM

I highly doubt such Serena will show up against Maria, she'll better lose before actual meeting. And Maria can beat Serena, it's all in her head.

dsanders06
Aug 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM
OK, so just to clarify: we are sure she's playing the US Open, right? :sobbing:

Charlatan
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Can I just say: I don't want Na Li to be anywhere near Maria? What's the earliest round that she could meet Na?

She would have to get past the R3 first, though :lol:

MM_1257
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Can I just say: I don't want Na Li to be anywhere near Maria? What's the earliest round that she could meet Na?

:hearts: Let's make that as a goal first. ;)

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:28 AM
QF or bust! :armed:

Stonerpova
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM
QF or bust! :armed:

Yep. I won't be satisfied with anything less.

I think it's safe to say my "I don't care what happens to Maria now that she's won the FO" bullshit is done :lol:

SantaBabyTennis
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM

Tankerena. Don't hold your breath. :banghead:

Stonerpova
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Tankerena. Don't hold your breath. :banghead:

+1 Serena will be rested and motivated come NY. She's the one to beat regardless of what happened today.

Craig.
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Yep. I won't be satisfied with anything less.

I think it's safe to say my "I don't care what happens to Maria now that she's won the FO" bullshit is done :lol:

Yup.

domon17th
Aug 18th, 2012, 08:03 AM
vozas, this time you are a little bit less transparent with having another flag and all but still its quite clear that it is you. :hug:

I still don't know how ya'll managed to identify him so swiftly :confused:

why happy? eventhough h/she is a supertroll, i kinda like her :(

Yea, is it bad that I find him/her kind of entertaining? :o

Please Maria, stop making yourself look worse than your actual level in Flushing Meadows is.

JoPova
Aug 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM

This so much! She's in great form right now and can be really dangerous for Maria! :hysteric:

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I don't want Kvitty anywhere near Maria, either... who said she couldn't play on US HCs? :o

JamieOwen3
Aug 18th, 2012, 11:49 AM
that was just an excuse for the losses lets be real :lol:

Shivank17
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM

I don't want Kvitty anywhere near Maria, either... who said she couldn't play on US HCs? :o

No Li, no Rena, no Petra, so u guys want Maria to play the US open all alone? :lol: :p

Even I don't want Li, but if Maria does manage to make the quarters or semis(preferably) Kvitova won't be that bad. Though ideal draw would be Stosur QFs and Aga SFs, but Maria would obviously fuck that and lose in R3/4. :tape:

MM_1257
Aug 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM
:rolls: Guys, in the end we won't want anyone near Maria, she will have to play alone. :lol:

Kon.
Aug 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Li and Kvitova are having such great uso series and to think this is considered to be far from their best surface/part of the season.
I think it's shaping up to be a very interesting US Open.

MM_1257
Aug 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
They suddenly stepped it up. And IMO Maria and Serena who had amazing year up until now will step it down a bit, the natural decline thing...

Feyd
Aug 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Final loss against Serena or Slam Win if Serena bombs out early. Anything else is a disappointment.

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I don't think she can draw either Petra or Na until the QFs at the earliest (Petra will be in the #5-8 bracket, Na will be in the #9-12 bracket and thus will draw one of #5-8 in the 4R).

Assuming she's all healthy now and gets in lots of practice before the tournament starts, I really do feel good about her chances. Despite her flop record there in recent years, she's literally had NO losses to scrubs this year (the only one that seemed like a bad loss at the time was to Kerber in Paris, and even that seems a lot less bad in retrospect), so she's surely not going to bomb out to the Pennettas of the WTA again! And if she can just get to the QFs, hopefully the mental block of her recent record there will be lifted and she can keep going.

I have to say though, flop stan though I may be, if Kim and Maria play eachother here I may well find myself rooting for Kim :unsure:

Craig.
Aug 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I have to say though, flop stan though I may be, if Kim and Maria play eachother here I may well find myself rooting for Kim :unsure:

No gurl, just no :o

nelsondan
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I don't care who Maria plays, or what round. If you are going to be the best, you just go out there and find a way to win.

Feyd
Aug 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Now, that is a ground for perma-ban. Mods!

RenaPova
Aug 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I don't think she can draw either Petra or Na until the QFs at the earliest (Petra will be in the #5-8 bracket, Na will be in the #9-12 bracket and thus will draw one of #5-8 in the 4R).

Assuming she's all healthy now and gets in lots of practice before the tournament starts, I really do feel good about her chances. Despite her flop record there in recent years, she's literally had NO losses to scrubs this year (the only one that seemed like a bad loss at the time was to Kerber in Paris, and even that seems a lot less bad in retrospect), so she's surely not going to bomb out to the Pennettas of the WTA again! And if she can just get to the QFs, hopefully the mental block of her recent record there will be lifted and she can keep going.

:o:o:o

Kim really needs to lose early at the hands of Serena (Maria already got her revenge and Serena needs revenge on her more than Venus for the USO 2009 incident :o).

After the way she's been playing a few matches and then running away at the sight of a tough draw this year she really doesn't deserve a nice ending to her career by bullshitting her way to another deep slam run playing shit. :o

She needs to draw Serena early and let Serena get her revenge. :devil: But knowing Kim she'd probably just withdraw from the USO altogether if that happened. :o

Gergo
Aug 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Kim really needs to lose early at the hands of Serena (Maria already got her revenge and Serena needs revenge on her more than Venus for the USO 2009 incident :o).

After the way she's been playing a few matches and then running away at the sight of a tough draw this year she really doesn't deserve a nice ending to her career by bullshitting her way to another deep slam run playing shit. :o

She needs to draw Serena early and let Serena get her revenge. :devil: But knowing Kim she'd probably just withdraw from the USO altogether if that happened. :o

you're just evil :p

RenaPova
Aug 18th, 2012, 06:50 PM
you're just evil :p

I'm just so pressed by Kim. :sobbing:

But seriously she got lucky as hell with some of her slams and she should be grateful for that. Ain't nobody got time for her to play shit yet somehow bullshit her way into another deep run at the USO this year, even if she says she will retire after it. :o

tennis-insomniac
Aug 18th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Too bad Maria had not entered any warm-up tournaments, now she will be struggling on US HC. I hope she will be focused enough to go deep in the draw. While players like Na Kvitova even Serena Radwanska will be at least prepared. Anyway, Good Luck Sugarpova.

Trih
Aug 18th, 2012, 08:52 PM

FAKE FAN ALERT!!!

:kiss:

JamieOwen3
Aug 18th, 2012, 09:18 PM
With all that stanning on GM and then you bring out that mother of a bombshells

http://i49.tinypic.com/2w2jyic.gif

:oh:

:lol:

lefty24
Aug 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Maria is gonna have one busy day on Monday. Hopefully there won't be a lot of events for her to go to next week.

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2012, 10:36 PM

Oh, if Kim draws Serena, then I'd definitely be rooting for Kim :angel:
:secret: And, considering Kim is a better version of Kerber, would you really rule out Kim beating her? :oh:

I'd probably only root for Kim against Maria if they meet early, solely because I don't want her to be remembered as going out of the game by constantly flopping in her last season :lol: If they meet in the later rounds when Kim would leave with a respectable result even if she loses (my dream scenario is that they play the final against eachother!) then Kim can get back in line behind the Queen.

DownInAHole
Aug 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I don't really follow Maria very closely, did she give a reason for why she decided not to play any tournaments leading up to the U.S. Open? I can understand why she did not play in Montreal this year but it does seem a little strange that she didn't play Cincinnati or even New Haven.

humanabstract
Aug 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I don't really follow Maria very closely, did she give a reason for why she decided not to play any tournaments leading up to the U.S. Open? I can understand why she did not play in Montreal this year but it does seem a little strange that she didn't play Cincinnati or even New Haven.

She withdrew from Montreal and then from Cincinnati cause of stomach virus. Well, may be she just wanted to rest up a bit. As for New Haven she didn't play warm-up tournaments right before GS, I guess, that's the reason. And, Sugarpova launching as well :oh:

humanabstract
Aug 19th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hmm, pretty strange, at all GS this year 1st and 3rd seed were in the same half. And I wanted Maria and Aga in one half so much :rolleyes:

Crux Squall
Aug 19th, 2012, 02:13 PM
It's the 1st time Maria doesn't play a pre-US Open tournament and i hope she can breaks the curse in US Open after her win in 06.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7815206396_ce3b10e01f_c.jpg

MM_1257
Aug 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Ugh... This USO series do not suit her at all... Wonder why... It can't be "pressure" only... Because IW/Miami she has had solid results over the years... Does she get worn out/tired in this part of the season??

JamieOwen3
Aug 19th, 2012, 02:28 PM
She's should be fresh for the US Open this year.

DownInAHole
Aug 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
She withdrew from Montreal and then from Cincinnati cause of stomach virus. Well, may be she just wanted to rest up a bit. As for New Haven she didn't play warm-up tournaments right before GS, I guess, that's the reason. And, Sugarpova launching as well :oh:

Ah, thanks for the information.

I don't necessarily think not playing will hurt her but it might. As long as she coasts through her first few matches she should be fine. By the time she starts playing seeded players she should have enough match play for it not to be an issue. If she catches a tough opponent in the early rounds she could get a bit of a scare.

To be completely honest I am not really a fan of her but I do genuinely hope that she does well and has a deep run this year. It's weird that she hasn't had much success in New York since she won there.

18majors
Aug 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Ah, thanks for the information.

I don't necessarily think not playing will hurt her but it might. As long as she coasts through her first few matches she should be fine. By the time she starts playing seeded players she should have enough match play for it not to be an issue. If she catches a tough opponent in the early rounds she could get a bit of a scare.

To be completely honest I am not really a fan of her but I do genuinely hope that she does well and has a deep run this year. It's weird that she hasn't had much success in New York since she won there.

Maria will be OK, she has played more matches in 2012 already than many previous years.

Maria probably won't play Caroline until QF, hope both get there!

18majors
Aug 19th, 2012, 10:55 PM
It occured to me, when watching Li/Kerber final, how difficult it's to win any tournaments.

Glad that Maria has already won 27, any more will be that much more precious.

jameshazza
Aug 20th, 2012, 12:30 AM
It's sort of hard to believe the draw will be out on Friday. Maria's absence from the USO series has killed a lot of the hype for me. Still, Sugarpova to look forward too. :lol:

nectar69
Aug 20th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Actually, according to the U.S. Open site the draw comes out Thursday! I can't wait. The U.S. Open is always my favorite, but I'm also American so that's part of it. There's nothing like the New York night crowd!

jameshazza
Aug 20th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Even better.

dsanders06
Aug 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM
GREAT NEWS: Pennetta has withdrawn. Now we just need Zakopalova to pull out and that second USO title is in the bag! :cheer: Someone break out the booze Sugarpova to celebrate.

Trih
Aug 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Flavia :sad: :sad: :sad:

madmax
Aug 20th, 2012, 08:21 PM
GREAT NEWS: Pennetta has withdrawn. Now we just need Zakopalova to pull out and that second USO title is in the bag! :cheer: Someone break out the booze Sugarpova to celebrate.

Maria will be well rested and on a high note too, while almost everyone else worked their asses off in american heat...:oh:
Get that Slam #5 Masha

Mashita
Aug 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM
serena will bomb out in the first round, that poor old washed up never been cannot cope with the pressure of being the favorite. the only opponent maria will meet is vuvurenka but i believe the queen will kick that faker's ass left and right like she did at stuttgart earlier this year. i hope maria can also win Beijing and the yec and win the award of best tennis player of the year and get that year end number 1 and then all the fuckin trolls like start da game or that mothafucka called asleta will shut their mouthese and lick vintage's pova's a$$. :drool:

gc-spurs
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:42 AM
^Who are you a reincarnated version of?

Break My Rapture
Aug 21st, 2012, 12:54 AM
WHAT. :bigcry: :crying2: :bigcry:

gc-spurs
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:26 AM
Well they lasted long... I wonder if the ban was for a) fake account, b) post 124 in this thread, or c) the carved penis pic.

Gotta be the carving with the penis.

Stonerpova
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:45 AM

:spit: :cheer:

IDK I got this weird feeling at FO this year that Serena wasn't gonna win it and I'm getting something similar when I think about the USO. That place is almost as cursed for her nowadays as Roland Garros.

Craig.
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:48 AM
:spit: :cheer:

IDK I got this weird feeling at FO this year that Serena wasn't gonna win it and I'm getting something similar when I think about the USO. That place is almost as cursed for her nowadays as Roland Garros.

That means Azarenka or someone else I hate is going to win it. Great :rolleyes:

cowsonice
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:55 AM
Hope Maria makes the QFs here at least. Her record at the USO is so dire. :weirdo:

Stupid wind tunnel on Arthur Ashe :ras:

Stonerpova
Aug 21st, 2012, 03:15 AM
That means Azarenka or someone else I hate is going to win it. Great :rolleyes:

Oh God, anything but that :sobbing:

I'm feeling a semi-surprise winner. Like I wouldn't be at all shocked if Li Na or fucking Clijsters wins it.

Tennisvampire
Aug 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
If someone other than Maria would have to win it, I really hope it can be Petra. Or maybe Kim going out with a bang (which is so not happening) or Sam defending her title. Those wins I'd be OK with. I don't mind Vika, but winning two Slams in a year where Maria and Serena won only one... Not acceptable :o I just hope it's not Aga, I guess everything else would be acceptable :lol: Anyway, in order to save us from these possible winners, just do us a favor and snatch the whole thing Pova :armed:

Cosmic Voices
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Can you imagine her Sugarpova revenue if she wins USO? :oh:

humanabstract
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM
Can you imagine her Sugarpova revenue if she wins USO? :oh:

by beating Serena in the final :oh:

Kon.
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Tbh, I think it is quite open, many people could win it.
And this time it's not because the tour sucks, the best players are inconsistent etc but because many play well enough to be contenders.
I mean look at Li, great performances at Montreal and Cincy and even Petra decided she doesn't hate american hardourts that much. And there's always Maria and Vika, Serena who's the favourite. Also Kerber or even Wozniacki could go very deep. And Radwanska too who doesn't seem too well at the moment though. Plus Kim playing her last tournament. Idk, I think it'll be good in this aspect.

claypova
Aug 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM
subscribes, go Maria :cheer:

hopefully the draw will be kind to her (not that it wasn't the previous years) but I just want a decent run into the SFs at least!

joćo.
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
Let's do this! :cheer:

Break My Rapture
Aug 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
I want Radwanska's wig on a platter by the end of this tournament. You hear me Martha?

Shivank17
Aug 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM
I want Radwanska's wig on a platter by the end of this tournament. You hear me Martha?
This so much!!

But they can't meet before the semis :o , so basically they can't meet at all here. :p :oh:

Trih
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
I have the same feeling, I think we'll have the 4th different slam winner of the year. I just pray it's not going to be Radwanska :scared:
I would be ok with Petra, Na or even Caroline or Angie :lol:
Kim going out with a bang too :hearts:

**mashafierce**
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM
If it's not Maria I want Kim to win it or Na.But I try to think that Maria will triumph until she proves me wrong

domon17th
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
I've this nagging feeling that she'll storm all the way to the SF and lose to a solid player who's been brilliant through the USO series, like Kerber/Na/Petra (Yea unlike some of the Maria stans I don't think she has Petra's number just yet). If that happens I'll probably still be annoyed but less pissed, provided one of them win it all.

**mashafierce**
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM

This.USO is always very open and hard to predict.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Please reach at leas the quarters :hysteric:. Flavia isn't playing here so :woohoo:. I want a revenge draw :armed:.

perseus2006
Aug 21st, 2012, 05:46 PM
I'm looking for Pova to have her best performance in years at this USO because she should be mentally recharged for tennis after a good break and launching Sugarpova.

C'mon, Pova, do this thing!

18majors
Aug 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM
IT'SUGAR‏@ITSUGAR

#Sugarpova is flying off the shelves! Check them out before they're all gone: http://bit.ly/Rdwums #sharapova

Now, Maria can commit 100% to her day job!

gc-spurs
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:04 PM
And this time it's not because the tour sucks, the best players are inconsistent etc but because many play well enough to be contenders.
I mean look at Li, great performances at Montreal and Cincy and even Petra decided she doesn't hate american hardourts that much. And there's always Maria and Vika, Serena who's the favourite. Also Kerber or even Wozniacki could go very deep. And Radwanska too who doesn't seem too well at the moment though. Plus Kim playing her last tournament. Idk, I think it'll be good in this aspect.

I don't think I'd describe it as 'open' cause a Schiavone type ain't winning, but there certainly is an echelon group which contains a number of favourites unlike Wimbledon where it was pretty much Serena, Maria or Kvitty going in as favs.

Tennisvampire
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM
I don't think I'd describe it as 'open' cause a Schiavone type ain't winning, but there certainly is an echelon group which contains a number of favourites unlike Wimbledon where it was pretty much Serena, Maria or Kvitty going in as favs.

RG is a totally different story. Maria is the only winner in the last couple of years who was already accomplished before winning the French Open and whose victory wasn't a huge surprise. Ever since Henin retired, FO has had random winners: Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Schiavone and Li (I think comments aren't even necessary when these two are involved, Franny in particular). Wimbledon always has the least amount of surprises (actually none since Maria herself won it :worship:) USO is different, flop winners are very rare lately. The closest we came to a random winner was actually Sam taking it last year :lol: I think we'll know whether Serena is going to win or not in the first round based on her performance (although last year she was amazing and then the final happened :lol:). I would put my faith in the in-form players like Petra, Na, maybe Kerber (I fully expect her to have a deep run, but I'm pretty sure she isn't winning the whole thing). Still, I wouldn't write Maria off just yet. She is fresh, her batteries are recharged, and I expect her to come out roaring on that court. We'll see, if she gets a decent draw, where she can slowly play her way in the tournament, she could have a great run. Oh, and I forgot Vika, she's always a contender as well.

Marilyn Monheaux
Aug 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Imo, Serena, Vika, Maria, Petra & NaNa have legit chances. Kim and Angie would be the darkhorse champs and Aga, Venus and maybe even Kiri could be the "surprise" finalists.

Stonerpova
Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:24 AM
Imo, Serena, Vika, Maria, Petra & NaNa have legit chances. Kim and Angie would be the darkhorse champs and Aga, Venus and maybe even Kiri could be the "surprise" finalists.

Agreed for the most part, but Radwanska's body is falling apart and Kirilenko has been playing far too well lately to be trusted :lol:

Maria rocks
Aug 22nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Come on Maria. Let's do this!!! xxx

dsanders06
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:57 PM

I think Kim has to be considered a legitimate contender seeing as she did win it on her last 3 attempts :shrug: Otherwise I agree with you guys - I think there's a pretty big pool of potential champions, but this time it's because there's a lot of players in good form, rather than a lot of times at Slams in recent years where deciding the favourites are just the players in the least bad form.

Also, GM people are pissing me off (as usual) by writing off Maria's chances and ranking her as 8th favourite for the title or something :o The Queen better prove them wrong.

jameshazza
Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
I don't know why people bear too much on Maria's results here, other than last years flop there really hasn't been too many bad losses. Her Oudin and She-who-mst-not-be-named losses were due to her shoulder, and there was no shame in losing to Wozniacki at that time.

I mean before this season, people said she would never win a Slam and that last year's clay run was a fluke. Now most people think she'll win another couple RG's and AO's, despite also having flopped there for a couple of years. :shrug:

We can only wait and see but Maria hasn't had one scrub loss this season and has won enough matches to do well here. Plus her serving in the wind has dramatically improved this year.

Break My Rapture
Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
I don't know why people bear too much on Maria's results here, other than last years flop there really hasn't been too many bad losses. Her Oudin and She-who-mst-not-be-named losses were due to her shoulder, and there was no shame in losing to Wozniacki at that time.
TBH, her matches vs Wozniacki and Pennetta were textbook examples of why she keeps flopping there lately. For some reason she simply forgets to use the width of the court and plays even more lineair than 2010 Azarenka. I've only really noticed her doing this at the US Open in recent years, I have no idea why but I think she's struggling with a growing mental block which probably started with the Oudin match and has lasted up to last year.
We can only wait and see but Maria hasn't had one scrub loss this season and has won enough matches to do well here. Plus her serving in the wind has dramatically improved this year.
But this is very much true, which gives me a little bit more hope.

Though I'm not sure Radwanska isn't a scrub. :oh:

dsanders06
Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM

I mean before this season, people said she would never win a Slam and that last year's clay run was a fluke. Now most people think she'll win another couple RG's and AO's, despite also having flopped there for a couple of years. :shrug:

These are the crucial things for me too. People keep pointing out how shitty her record is there in recent years, but the crucial thing for me is that this has been her best season since 2006 at virtually every other tournament, so why wouldn't it also be her best tournament at the US Open since '06 too? :shrug:

She's been so consistent this year that I just don't see her losing before the QFs this time (except unless perhaps she draws one of the REALLY dangerous Loomers), and it definitely wouldn't SHOCK me to see her win the title.

TBH, her matches vs Wozniacki and Pennetta were textbook examples of why she keeps flopping there lately. For some reason she simply forgets to use the width of the court and plays even more lineair than 2010 Azarenka. I've only really noticed her doing this at the US Open in recent years, I have no idea why but I think she's struggling with a growing mental block which probably started with the Oudin match and has lasted up to last year

Although that's true for those two matches, I just think they happened to be two shitty matches that she played (which she was sprinkling all over the place in 2010 and 2011) rather than it being BECAUSE of the tournament she was playing at :shrug: I know there's a few people who say she feels more "pressure" there because of how many endorsements she has in America, but I really don't buy that.

Craig.
Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
These are the crucial things for me too. People keep pointing out how shitty her record is there in recent years, but the crucial thing for me is that this has been her best season since 2006 at virtually every other tournament, so why wouldn't it also be her best tournament at the US Open since '06 too? :shrug:

She's been so consistent this year that I just don't see her losing before the QFs this time (except unless perhaps she draws one of the REALLY dangerous Loomers), and it definitely wouldn't SHOCK me to see her win the title.

Although that's true for those two matches, I just think they happened to be two shitty matches that she played (which she was sprinkling all over the place in 2010 and 2011) rather than it being BECAUSE of the tournament she was playing at :shrug: I know there's a few people who say she feels more "pressure" there because of how many endorsements she has in America, but I really don't buy that.

That's a load of bull :lol: This is Maria we're talking about.

Kon.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
Draw coming out today! :cheer:

Charlieflip
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Just crossed fingers that she wont be on the same half as Serena. Then she will be easy to the final.

claypova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Just crossed fingers that she wont be on the same half as Serena. Then she will be easy to the final.

she can't :oh: Masha is 3rd seed, Serena is 4th :)

Vartan
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Yikes, I hope she won't have another 4R exit. Wish Svetlio could open the thread.

**mashafierce**
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yes draw coming out!!!!

madmax
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
YAY!!!
Time to rock the big apple again champ:cheer::bowdown:

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Another two hours to wait. :bigcry:

humanabstract
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
It's 3 hours and a half until the draw. Am I correct?

za091021
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Pleast into the quarters!!!stop making early exit.

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
It's 3 hours and a half until the draw. Am I correct?

Yeah you were. :lol:

masha122
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
they are making the draw now

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
They never heard of Ladies first. :o

masha122
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Victoria Azarenka gets Maria Sharapova in the top half, while Serena Williams joins Agnieszka Radwanksa in the bottom half. #usopen

Tennisvampire
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
If I saw correctly, Maria landed in Vika's half... And she drew Petra in her quarter :scared: Honestly, not the best combination, but we'll see.

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Kvitova in the QFs :hysteric:

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Pre-QF really isn't a bad draw at all.

domon17th
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Oh Mah Gawd :sobbing: Why Petra of all people??

Break My Rapture
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Kvitova in the QF is about as good as it gets for Maria. :lol: Kvitty might've played better in USOS this year than last year but she's still wildly inconsistent.

madmax
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Oh Mah Gawd :sobbing: Why Petra of all people??

why not?
since when Maria has to fear an error machine and on hardourts too anyway?

nectar69
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'm actually not sure that Kvitova will make it that far. She's playing three straight weeks going in, I think she's overplayed and will be tired and get upset early.

joćo.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
First potential seed for Maria Sharapova is Anabel Medina Garrigues. Nice opening week for her.
(Chance for USTA WC winner Mallory Burdette to make a little run. Opens up vs Bacsinszky, then gets Medina Garrigues. Then Sharapova.)

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
We'd better never hear the Willytards complain about cakewalk draws again :lol: Virtually ALL of the big title contenders are with Maria in the top half (Kvitova, Azarenka, Clijsters, Li, Stosur) while Serena's biggest competition in the bottom half is Radwanska and Kerber :spit:

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Not saying Maria wouldn't have to be at her best to beat Petra but on hard courts Maria at her best beats her. :shrug:

Besides it's not players we need to be worrying about, we need four night matches to get to the QF. Even fucking Cadantu is a threat during the day.

domon17th
why not?
since when Maria has to fear an error machine and on hardourts too anyway?

Their matches ALWAYS scares me. I don't know, Petra's just too volatile!

joćo.
http://i.minus.com/jwx45K8uAE5eY.png
Missing spot vs Hradecka R1 on Maria's side is Medina Garrigues, I guess.

lefty24
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
They never heard of Ladies first. :o

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4200/sharapovapress3.gif

Oh not a bad draw, at least for the first week and that's most important.
Im not too scared about Petra if they both make it that far.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Considering her year/form there is no excuse for not reaching QFs. Great draw pre-QFs. Hopefully, we get to see Maria vs Thunder :drool: and the Safarova to level that h2h.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
Avoided meeting with Serena before the final :yeah: good to hear :yeah:.

Maria should have no problem reaching the quarters here. I'm very confident that she'll get her groove on early on here and make at least the semis.

Break My Rapture
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Czink in R1 tho....she could be a nasty player to face if Maria is off.

domon17th
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
On second thought, yea, it could have been worst. Imagine she got Vika's draw :sobbing:

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Can someone tell me who is Maria supposed to meet in the 4th round?

madmax
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Their matches ALWAYS scares me. I don't know, Petra's just too volatile!

they don't scare me at all - even when she lost that Wimby final match, Kvitty had to be painting all the lines and had to hope Maria was off her game too (which she was). Average Maria beats average Kvitty all day everyday

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Czink is actually quite dangerous on her day :shrug: Other than that, there's really no excuse to have ANY trouble whatsoever in the first 3 rounds. As the R4, I wouldn't bank on Safarova being her opponent- she has Slamophobia, she hasn't made a single Slam 4R since 2007 :lol:

domon17th
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
they don't scare me at all - even when she lost that Wimby final match, Kvitty had to be painting all the lines and had to hope Maria was off her game too (which she was). Average Maria beats average Kvitty all day everyday

I guess that AO SF impaired me big time.
But she's to get through Czink first! Bring it!

Crux Squall
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Can someone tell me who is Maria supposed to meet in the 4th round?

maybe Petrova or Safarova

humanabstract
Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
I guess it's Czink/Karatancheva/Hradecka/Petrova/Kvitova/Azarenka/Williams way to the 5th GS title? :shrug:

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
I guess it's Czink/Karatancheva/Hradecka/Petrova/Kvitova/Azarenka/Williams way to the 5th GS title? :shrug:

Even I don't think she's going to beat Serena in a Slam final so soon after the Olympics :sobbing: But, even in an absolute best-case scenario (and I'm not taking Maria making the final as a cert ATALL), I don't know who to pray knocks out Serena, because there just doesn't seem to be ANYONE in the bottom half with an even halfway-realistic shot of beating her. I mean who do we root for? Kerber? :happy:

Fiercepova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
If only Oudin could reach the 4th round cause I really want that match to happen :lol: I need a revenge so bad, especially at the US Open :lol:

humanabstract
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
In serious way, Maria should make QF at least. Well, Kvitova and Azarenka are beatable too

**mashafierce**
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I smell a R1/R2 shock defeat for Serena and Maria having a really easy final after clearing out he competition on her half.Something like RG

swissmr
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Agreed, she should definitely make her first QF here since 06 with this draw. She will fancy her chances against Petra in the QF too :yeah:

MM_1257
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
There is one excuse... The hurricane! :p

Kon.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Good draw.
R1-R4 very easy.
I want to see matches with the thunder and Oudin. :p

Cosmic Voices
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'm really happy with Mashas draw :cheer:

Break My Rapture
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Czink shouldn't be overlooked, we should be cautious here. Lefty serve on a windy day where Maria is off could be hellish.

Anyway can people please stop calling Karatantcheva "Thunder" because it sounds sooo RETARDED tbh. :tape:

Cosmic Voices
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Czink shouldn't be overlooked, we should be cautious here. Lefty serve on a windy day where Maria is off could be hellish.

Anyway can people please stop calling Karatantcheva "Thunder" because it sounds sooo RETARDED tbh. :tape:

Should be good practise for Petra :shrug:

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM

Agreed. I don't think Maria's losing it, but because Czink can be fairly tricky and that Maria will be rusty, I can see it going to 3 :o

MashaFan01
Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Nadja Petrova? - just saying

Kon.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
The fact she plays Czink is only good.
Practice against a lefty. :shrug:
If she gets a tough win it will probably because she'd be playing shitty and not because Czink is a difficult opponent or anything.
Hopefully clean matches in the 1st week like AO and RG this year.

Break My Rapture
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Agreed. I don't think Maria's losing it, but because Czink can be fairly tricky and that Maria will be rusty, I can see it going to 3 :o
Right. A Watson R1 type of match doesn't seem that far-stretched of a possibility, we could be in for one again. Hopefully Maria takes us all by surprise and comes out guns blazing even without match practice, like at AO.

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
^^^I need a relatively easy R1 because if it's a mess and R2 is on Thursday I'll stress during my Formal (Prom). :o

Tennisvampire
Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
You guys, how can you say Serena's draw is cakewalk? She has Makarova in R3 :lol: And Caro in her quarter!(not being mean, just stating the obvious) All the joking aside, I really think that they meddle with these draws sometimes, it's not normal for me that all the big contenders are basically in one half :o And the fact that the drawing is computerized doesn't ease my suspicions either :lol: Anyway, a possible Kim-NaNa R3 match :eek: I hope Kimmy can get past that... Oh, and Kerber and Venus got each other in R2 :eek:

As far as Maria goes, a decent draw (although I'm kind of scared of Hradecka's serve :lol:) until the quarters. Petra's been playing some serious tennis, but I'm actually not positive that she'll reach QF at all, I think she might be drained from playing Montreal and Cincy (plus, despite being good, almost every match I got to see was a 3-setter), plus she traditionally sucks on North American HC, although she decided to prove us wrong lately. And as far as Vika is concerned, I guess we'll see, but I feel like she's in decline. Yeah, she was consistent throughout the entire season so far, but compared with her level from the beginning, this is a bit less impressive. So, she's definitely more than beatable if Maria pulls herself together :lol:

But, I don't wanna go too far into the game, let's just take it one match at the time. Czink first :armed:

zigga
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I like the draw. Quite easy untill QF, then we (potentially) have Kvitova who played some better tennis lately but she is still beatable.
Then potetntial SF against Azarenka. I think this match (if it happens) will be very tough for maria, she'll have to play very well to defeat Vika on hard court. Even is she loses this, I will be very happy with a SF.
But of course she is in it to win it :cheer: Good luck!

Fighterpova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Nice draw for Masha :cheer:

I really hope she finally reaches the QF here(finally) and I really want her to avoid playing Azarenka & Serena :help:

Top half is harder, but Maris's draw is nice.

nelsondan
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
I am hoping all this not playing a lot, and candy launch stuff will make Maria be able to keep raising her level each round...she might have a surprisingly difficult but survivable 2 or 3 matches, and be revved up full blast for the last four....if there is no surprise in the first week.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Why would anyone be afraid of her facing Azarenka :scratch:, especially at the USO?

Maria loves playing here and even though her record here over the past few years leaves a lot to be desired she is in great shape this year and she hasn't played a single match yet going into the tournament which I think will help her go far in the draw *AO 2012 anyone*. And she will also be rested after such a heavy schedule leading to the Olympics.

She needs to step up her game and at least reach the quarters and for our sake she needs to stop fucking around with the peasants that she will face before reaching that round.

Lets do this Maria :cheer: win it all :cheer:.

atominside
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Why would anyone be afraid of her facing Azarenka :scratch:, especially at the USO?

Maria loves playing here and even though her record here over the past few years leaves a lot to be desired she is in great shape this year and she hasn't played a single match yet going into the tournament which I think will help her go far in the draw *AO 2012 anyone*. And she will also be rested after such a heavy schedule leading to the Olympics.

She needs to step up her game and at least reach the quarters and for our sake she needs to stop fucking around with the peasants that she will face before reaching that round.

:confused:

Last 4 meetings on hardcourts?

Indian Wells Azarenka 62 63
Aus Open Azarenka 63 60
Miami Azarenka 61 64
Stanford Azarenka 64 61

n1ko0
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
does anyone else think maria pulled out of cincinatti to deliberately drop to world #3, to ensure she was in a different half to serena? unlikely but it's definitely a good scenario! if she did do this deliberately then well done maria! :P

Kon.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:46 PM

What? :spit:
Because Azarenka has been clearly the best hc player of the year and has beaten Maria twice in 2012.
She's not had great results on USO so far but doesn't mean anything. :shrug:
Can you think of many players more dangerous for Maria than Vika? :scratch:

jameshazza
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't take Vika for granted but Maria played her absolute worst in their last few HC matches. I don't mind when an opponent takes the play away from her but those were some shitastic performances. Even though it was on clay she should have more confidence after the Stuttgart schooling. Maria at her best beats anyone bar Serena on any surface. :shrug:

Reptilia
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM
Oh my! USO series has gone so damn quick :lol: can't believe the open starts next week

Craig.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Like Maria's draw up until the QFs, but after that, it's actually a pile of shit.

Top heavy draw.

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't take Vika for granted but Maria played her absolute worst in their last few HC matches. I don't mind when an opponent takes the play away from her but those were some shitastic performances. Even though it was on clay she should have more confidence after the Stuttgart schooling. Maria at her best beats anyone bar Serena on any surface. :shrug:

Exactly! People read too much into how much difference the surfaces make. I mean, the way Maria played in Stuttgart, she would've beaten Azarenka on any surface - she was playing pretty much first-strike, fast-court style tennis in that Stuttgart final anyway, it was only in Rome and RG where we saw the final evolution of topspin-forehanding, patient-point-constructing Claypova. Even if the score wouldn't be as one-sided as Stuttgart, I have no doubt she'd be more than capable of beating Aza at the USO if she brings her best (though anything less than something near her best wouldn't be good enough).

Break My Rapture
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM

This plan has also backfired before...*AO 2010 anyone*.

dsanders06
Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:55 PM

Actually, she did play a warmup for that. It was only that shitty Hong Kong exhibition, but still :lol: I remember being misled into thinking she would have a decent AO because she gave Wozniacki a beatdown at that :o

18majors
Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
Actually, she did play a warmup for that. It was only that shitty Hong Kong exhibition, but still :lol: I remember being misled into thinking she would have a decent AO because she gave Wozniacki a beatdown at that :o

Maria is a different player now compared to 2011 and 2010. Actually, she is a different player post-2012-Stuttgart than pre-2012-Stuttgart.

Crux Squall
Aug 24th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Don't know why Kvitova play New Haven. So much tennis for her from Olympic.

NashaMasha
Aug 24th, 2012, 03:25 AM
does anyone else think maria pulled out of cincinatti to deliberately drop to world #3, to ensure she was in a different half to serena?

Maria isn't thinking about the draw before the tournament, i don't really think that she care much about it. She pulled out of Cincinatti to make Sugarpova campaing and to have a rest before USO and end of the season .... She did it right , because almost all top players were exhausted and didn't show any results or had to withdraw either this US Series

PS , we shouldn't be afraid of Azarenka or Serena , because 1) it won't be easy for all of them to reach Semis or Finals 2) Azarenka doesn't show the level of tennis she used to in the beginning of 2012 3) Serena is a bit exhausted mentally and physically after 2 big wins , she looks like Masha was after RG

Fighterpova
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Maria isn't thinking about the draw before the tournament, i don't really think that she care much about it. She pulled out of Cincinatti to make Sugarpova campaing and to have a rest before USO and end of the season .... She did it right , because almost all top players were exhausted and didn't show any results or had to withdraw either this US Series

PS , we shouldn't be afraid of Azarenka or Serena , because 1) it won't be easy for all of them to reach Semis or Finals 2) Azarenka doesn't show the level of tennis she used to in the beginning of 2012 3) Serena is a bit exhausted mentally and physically after 2 big wins , she looks like Masha was after RG

No matter how bad Serena plays, she will always be ready for Maria. Even if she is injured and tired she wont drop more than a few games vs Maria :shrug:
So yes, we always worry about Serena, even if it's in Rome :lol:

Maria Croft
Aug 24th, 2012, 07:40 AM
With that draw, I WANT that QF. After that I don't really care. I mean, sure I would love for her to win the tournament, but it's been a long and exhausting year for her already.

Cosmic Voices
Aug 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I just want her to reach at least the quarters tbh, which would be an excellent showing for her

(I'm still bitter about pennetta)

**mashafierce**
Aug 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I think it all depends on Maria.Sure we can make assumptions about Vika and Serena but if Maria doesn't play well she will likely be defeated by anyone.If an in shape, concetrated and determined Maria shows up then she wont have trouble until a possible Serena final.I am concerned that Maria hasn't been practising a lot and is distracted though.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
:confused:

Last 4 meetings on hardcourts?

Indian Wells Azarenka 62 63
Aus Open Azarenka 63 60
Miami Azarenka 61 64
Stanford Azarenka 64 61

In Stanford we all know what happened, she came back from her injury and her fitness was awful and on top of that she played the whole tournament during the night session. Maria finished her match against Nastya late in the night before facing a fresh Azarenka in the morning the next day :shrug:.

At the Aussie Open Maria played awful, she started well but then the nerves started to creep in and that was about it.

In Miami Maria's fitness was not as good as it is now, she drained herself against Andrea in her previous match and then looked dead tired in the final.

Indian Wells :help:.

Maria is in much better shape right now than she was right after the Aussie Open :shrug:. She beat Azarenka in Stuttgart so :shrug: I think if she plays well Vika won't stand a chance against her.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:35 AM
What? :spit:
Because Azarenka has been clearly the best hc player of the year and has beaten Maria twice in 2012.
She's not had great results on USO so far but doesn't mean anything. :shrug:
Can you think of many players more dangerous for Maria than Vika? :scratch:

Yeah it means something :shrug:, lets see how she does this year :yeah:.

Azarenka is good on HC but I still think that If Maria gets her head together Vika wouldn't stand a chance against Masha :shrug: even on HC.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM

It has worked for her more than it hasn't :shrug: so why not :shrug:.

She never used to play warm ups heading to the AO at it worked for her :shrug:. I don't mind that she skipped the whole Montreal-Cincinnati thing, it's a nice change for once. I was sick seeing her do well in Cincinnati and then losing early at the Open :facepalm:.

gc-spurs
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM
It has worked for her more than it hasn't :shrug: so why not :shrug:.

She never used to play warm ups heading to the AO at it worked for her :shrug:. I don't mind that she skipped the whole Montreal-Cincinnati thing, it's a nice change for once. I was sick seeing her do well in Cincinnati and then losing early at the Open :facepalm:.

The no warm-up thing is not too significant. But before AO she used to always treat Hong Kong like a freaking tournament. Cray cray doesn't know what an exho is seeing how she shits all over everyone.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I felt like I slept and fastforwarded through the entire USO series just because Maria did not play. :lol:

Tennisvampire
Aug 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I felt like I slept and fastforwarded through the entire USO series just because Maria did not play. :lol:

This :lol: I can't believe it's starting in just 3 days :eek: I have my usual pre-Slam excitement and anticipation :drool: US Open is my third favorite Slam and the only thing I actually don't like about it is the final set tie-break rule. I get that it's more practical, but it does take something away from all the drama, since you know the match's expiration date is strictly determined :o

Kon.
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah it means something :shrug:, lets see how she does this year :yeah:.
Slower, AO like, hardcourts might suit her game more but that is the case with Maria too nowadays.
Plus, Azarenka hasn't been very lucky at the USO.

Azarenka is good on HC but I still think that If Maria gets her head together Vika wouldn't stand a chance against Masha :shrug: even on HC.

Well Maria at her best beats anyone but Serena, but Vika not standing a chance is a big overstatement. :shrug:
I still believe Maria is the better player on every surface but if you don't consider Vika a very dangerous opponent for her then I don't know whom you would. :shrug:
By far the person she's most likely to lose to after Serena, imo.

Anyway, we'll see. I'd love to see a match between the two of them here.

NashaMasha
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Azarenka doesn't have even 50% chances to get to SF , it's my IMHO

let's see in what form will be all the favourites. For instance, i'm not sure how will play Masha at USO this year.

claypova
Aug 24th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Maria will hopefully capitalise this draw and make the quarterfinals. :bounce: And maybe a SF considering her H2H against Kvitova

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Slower, AO like, hardcourts might suit her game more but that is the case with Maria too nowadays.
Plus, Azarenka hasn't been very lucky at the USO.

Well Maria at her best beats anyone but Serena, but Vika not standing a chance is a big overstatement. :shrug:
I still believe Maria is the better player on every surface but if you don't consider Vika a very dangerous opponent for her then I don't know whom you would. :shrug:
By far the person she's most likely to lose to after Serena, imo.

Anyway, we'll see. I'd love to see a match between the two of them here.

Vika is the world's number 1 player so of course she is a threat but with Maria's form as of late she should be able to beat her in straights :shrug:. I really would love if these two would eventually meet in the semis this year but I doubt it's gonna be Li who'll emerge from that part of the draw and reach the semis.

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
The no warm-up thing is not too significant. But before AO she used to always treat Hong Kong like a freaking tournament. Cray cray doesn't know what an exho is seeing how she shits all over everyone.

I think it is significant actually :angel:. It's a completely different thing playing an exho even though as you said Maria always gave a fuck about matches played in Hong-Kong :oh:. And Maria lost in three finals there in 2004,2007,2008 on top of all :facepalm:.

NashaMasha
Aug 24th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Let's see the first match and it would be clear in what form is Masha . Now it's pointless to predict anything, because we are not aware about her from after recovery

rucolo
Aug 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
R1: Czink
R2: Karatantcheva
R3: Medina
R4: Petrova/Safarova
QF: Kvitova
SF: Li/Azarenka
F: ?

Lucky draw for Maria. Very easy until QF :drool:

Czink - no competition
Karatantcheva - excited :hearts:
Medina - no weapons at all
Petrova/Safarova - epic headcases
Kvitova - dangerous :unsure:
Li/Azarenka - very dangerous :scared:

MM_1257
Aug 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
If she reaches QF, I'll be beyond happy. But I won't be able to watch any of her matches probably, so I wish her luck!

Mistress of Evil
Aug 24th, 2012, 03:02 PM
When her first match will be played on Monday or Tuesday? It will be scheduled in the night session that I am sure of.

Shivank17
Aug 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
when was the last time Maria lost a night session match at USO? I Can't think of any. Hasn't dropped a set in night session matches since 06 :hysteric: :worship:

Break My Rapture
Aug 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Vika is the world's number 1 player so of course she is a threat but with Maria's form as of late she should be able to beat her in straights :shrug:. I really would love if these two would eventually meet in the semis this year but I doubt it's gonna be Li who'll emerge from that part of the draw and reach the semis.
Umm her form as of late? :lol: During the Olympics tournament I would only call her demolition of Kimothy a convincing, dominating win that lifted her confidence. Her loss against Serena probably shattered that bit of confidence she earned from beating Lisicki/Kimothy/Kiri though. And she hasn't played since then. How can you gauge someone's form when they haven't even played a warm-up on the same surface as the targeted tournament?
when was the last time Maria lost a night session match at USO? I Can't think of any. Hasn't dropped a set in night session matches since 06 :hysteric: :worship:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Maria lost a night match on one of the smaller big courts before she won in 2006. :lol: Probably in 2003 or something.

dsanders06
Aug 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
When her first match will be played on Monday or Tuesday? It will be scheduled in the night session that I am sure of.

You sure? I think Kim will be getting really good treatment this tournament, seeing as how it's her last tournament and the American fans love her :unsure: That's the main reason I wanted her on the same side of the draw as Serena apart from the fact Kim may well have removed Serena for us, it would've left Maria with no real competition for the night-sessions :hysteric:

Gergo
Aug 24th, 2012, 05:00 PM

only night match she lost was against Loit, 2003

Mr.Sharapova
Aug 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Umm her form as of late? :lol: During the Olympics tournament I would only call her demolition of Kimothy a convincing, dominating win that lifted her confidence. Her loss against Serena probably shattered that bit of confidence she earned from beating Lisicki/Kimothy/Kiri though. And she hasn't played since then. How can you gauge someone's form when they haven't even played a warm-up on the same surface as the targeted tournament?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Maria lost a night match on one of the smaller big courts before she won in 2006. :lol: Probably in 2003 or something.

She was always going to lose to Serena, that's no shock :shrug:. Her form against Clijsters and Kirilenko was fantastic therefore I'm holding on to that for the moment :oh:.

humanabstract
Aug 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM
There is no excuse for Maria if she loses before QF since Flavia withdrew. :oh:
Actually I'm always so nervous while watching Maria's matches even against scrubs in first rounds. I hope it will be great tournament with some high-quality tennis from Masha. :cheer:

jameshazza
Aug 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Also heaux can all posts claiming some stupid night loss that never happened be deleted, wouldn't want people thinking Maria's record wasn't perfect. :oh:

18majors
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I watched Maria, with a crowd of about 800, played a simulated match this afternoon at Louis Armstrong Stadium. She is in tip top shape and in very good form.

humanabstract
Aug 24th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I watched Maria, with a crowd of about 800, played a simulated match this afternoon at Louis Armstrong Stadium. She is in tip top shape and in very good form.

So many people :hearts: Thank you for the info. And with whom did she play?