PDA

View Full Version : All-time favorite Maria shitfest

Stonerpova
Aug 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Since coming back in 09 Maria has put us through a lot of epic shitfests that she only survived by unleashing her alter-ego, UnstoppableEpicDivaBitchModePova. Which is your favorite? I'd do a poll but that seems pretty pointless.

Cincy final last year gets my vote. I still don't know how she (or I) survived. :lol:

mndevTS4EvU

dMwvK_zqxw0

Trih
Aug 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I am with you 100%.
Infact I DIDN'T survive during that. I'm pretty sure I have died multiple times watching that final, and now I'm just living one other life.

killerqueen
Aug 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I enjoyed this years Rome final quite a lot, just for the sheer drama. Until literally the last point, I genuinely had no idea who was going to win. (And even after it, given the way Li just missed the line and maybe challenged!) :lol:

MM_1257
Aug 10th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I am with you 100%.
Infact I DIDN'T survive during that. I'm pretty sure I have died multiple times watching that final, and now I'm just living one other life.

I was on vacation. When I managed to get to a tv set she had a comfortable lead in the 1st set, then she started losing the advantage and I went all pfffff, but couldn't show my emotions to the people around me, so after set 1 I turned off the tv but kept thinking- What on Earth is she doing?!?! Jankovic of all people... :lol: Only the next morning I learned the news that she won.

**mashafierce**
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:46 PM
That's an easy one.Cincy last year was the most dramatic horrible match I've watched her play but is my favorite cause she won her first title

Charlatan
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Some of my favorite slugfest, shit-shows from pova since the comeback :sobbing: so much fight, intensity, grit

pL-pttlv3RI

7jjC7poxv8I

C2BErQKLDlQ

7x7E8vgr5FI

3O2Lzv0rFBc

iE7a4m5C1JU

Craig.
Aug 10th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Maria-Dulgheru :spit:

Chrissie-fan
Aug 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I don't remember well enough to say that it qualifies as a shitfest, but I always have this FO match against Schnyder from (I think) 2007 albeit vaguely in the back my mind when I think about Maria. It may not have been a shitfest, but it's my favorite fightback from the brink of defeat from Maria. Schnyder really should have won that match, but Maria just refused to lose.

Reptilia
Aug 10th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Great thread :worship: So much choice.

I'd have to go with the Rome final this year :spit:
vs. Ula Radwanksa LA 2009 also comes to mind :lol: That whole tournament was hilariously bad

Stonerpova
Aug 10th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Her match against Dulgheru was CLASSIC Fighterpova. I just re-watched the highlights and I can't believe that her forehand was ever that terrible. Footwork non-existent, serve a mess, and she still won :worship:

gc-spurs
Aug 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM
A Poova thread! :wavey:

Runner up with the little urn was probably FO vs Petrova in 2009 when she had just come back from injury, just cause it showed her fight and it was feel good.

The winner of this is BEIJING 2009 COMEBACK VS AZARENKA! You will often hear me reference it in the live scoring threads when she is losing.

Qetusi
Aug 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
OD4VQ6HAmyM

ho3skQkSzV0

HlKbCOi8RZI

+ RG R4 vs klara Zakopalova

MM_1257
Aug 10th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Uh, yeah, the Watson match in USO last year and the Garcia match and yes, Zakopalova match... And Rome 2012 final...

Break My Rapture
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:25 AM
OMFG THAT MATCH. :bigcry: :haha: You have no idea how happy I am (still) to have been sleeping while that match was robbing you all of your lives.

Trih
Aug 11th, 2012, 01:33 AM
OMFG THAT MATCH. :bigcry: :haha: You have no idea how happy I am (still) to have been sleeping while that match was robbing you all of your lives.

That's comedy gold! :happy: I'm SO going to recycle this in other occasions (about other sports in other forums) :lol: :rolls:

domon17th
Aug 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Great thread :worship: So much choice.

It's not a good thing, is it? :sobbing:

Her match against Dulgheru was CLASSIC Fighterpova. I just re-watched the highlights and I can't believe that her forehand was ever that terrible. Footwork non-existent, serve a mess, and she still won :worship:

THIS. Because I didn't catch the shitfest against JJ last year, my automatic choice was Maria-Dulgheru. That ankle sprain :help:

On a side note, what's with 2011 and ankle sprains?

Kon.
Aug 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Rome final 2012. :inlove:
If you watch till 6-4 4-0 you'll have so much difficulty believing she eventually won it.
There was some peak drama there.

MM_1257
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Rome final 2012. :inlove:
If you watch till 6-4 4-0 you'll have so much difficulty believing she eventually won it.
There was some peak drama there.

Epic drama! Helicopters, Li Na's mental block, rain, mud on court, wind, looong rain dealy and an epic tie-break... Anything you want.
Of the shitfests that she lost, my favourite one now is Galina's match... So much hilarious moments in it, I was so angry last year during the match, now I laugh whenever I think of it.

Slampova
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Does no one remember her first match back on tour :unsure: That awful match she went to 3 sets with Garbin in Warsaw :sobbing:

Apart from that other epic shitfests include most of her FO 09 matches, all her Los Angeles 09 matches, Dushevina at IW 2010, Stanford 2010 matches vs Radwanska & Dementieva, IW 2011 vs Medina Garrigues, Miami 2011 vs Dulgheru, all her Madrid 2011 matches, Hantuchova in Stanford and a few others :sobbing:

And there's also the shitfests she lost :help: Dulko at Wimbledon, Oudin at US Open, Kiri at AO etc.

How us Maria fans are still alive after some of these is beyond me lol

Charlatan
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:21 AM
^^
u4QkyF3UmnU

That was classic pova choke, leading 6-1, 5-2 and lost the 2nd set in the TB :spit:

and this:

3v478Mv69f4

Her first QF hardcourt win since a long time :awww:

Slampova
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:06 PM
^^
u4QkyF3UmnU

That was classic pova choke, leading 6-1, 5-2 and lost the 2nd set in the TB :spit:

I only remembered this for the epic choke in the second but watching those highlights I'm amazed how much she dropshotted Garbin in that match :lol:
And also, poor claypova couldn't slide in 09 and was still a cow on ice :sobbing:

Shivank17
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Some of my favorite slugfest, shit-shows from pova since the comeback :sobbing: so much fight, intensity, grit

pL-pttlv3RI

7jjC7poxv8I

C2BErQKLDlQ

7x7E8vgr5FI

3O2Lzv0rFBc

iE7a4m5C1JU

:lol: Have to say, these all come to my mind first reading the title. :lol: Maria-Dulgheru was :lol:
Her matches vs Radwanska are always shitfests, especially Toronto 09 and Tokyo 09. Loved the comeback in the 2nd, and the relief after beating Aga. :inlove:

Break My Rapture
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM
RG 2011 vs Radwanska as well. :o Suprisingly her serve was what saved her but everything else was pretty dire.

Craig.
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sharapova-Azarenka 2009 Beijing 2nd round was hardly a shitfest. To this day it remains one of my favorite matches/Maria comebacks EVER.

Tennisvampire
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I would have to pick from the ones I watched, which would be Rome 2012 final against Li, Cincy 2011 final against JJ (don't kill me, I was actually rooting for Jelena, since she used to be my favorite player besides Maria, plus she is Serbian, so the way Masha played didn't hurt me at all :angel: But even though I was rooting for JJ, I was still very happy when Masha won. I think that's the only match-up when I don't mind Maria losing :lol:) Anyway, apart from those, Watson 2011 US Open, Pennetta 2011 US Open (she lost it obviously, after making a great comeback she chocked in the end :mad:), Kirilenko 2012 IW (if I recall correctly that it was in IW) and so many more. I know that we're giving recommendations of her 2009 and later shitfests, but I'm just gonna say: AO 2007 1st round against Camille Pin :lol: I think my fave Pova shitfest of them all (and I wasn't even such a huge fan like I am today xD)

Stonerpova
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Sharapova-Azarenka 2009 Beijing 2nd round was hardly a shitfest. To this day it remains one of my favorite matches/Maria comebacks EVER.

This. I saw it live on vaca and it was obscenely high quality. I actually cried when it was over.

gc-spurs
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:56 AM
^It only got good when Maria stopped being shit. But early on in the match she made me want to destroy things. I loved it because it ended on a high quality wise, but a lot of the match was Poova trying to kill us.

Stonerpova
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM
^It only got good when Maria stopped being shit. But early on in the match she made me want to destroy things. I loved it because it ended on a high quality wise, but a lot of the match was Poova trying to kill us.

Maybe it just feels different live. You get more intensity that way, and everything looks like it's hit harder. I didn't realize until I saw Maria live just how hard she hits the ball. Azarenka gets flack these days for being a pusher at times, but she was hitting huge as well. I remember Maria playing well in the first set after getting down an early break and then just missing more towards the end of the second. She played badly to get so far down in the third but the way she roared back was insane. She hit some killer passing shots and the helicopter forehand was GOAT :lol: And the crowd was totally for Maria the entire time which is sort of rare.

I just wish I could download the match from somewhere.

gc-spurs
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Maybe it just feels different live. You get more intensity that way, and everything looks like it's hit harder. I didn't realize until I saw Maria live just how hard she hits the ball. Azarenka gets flack these days for being a pusher at times, but she was hitting huge as well. I remember Maria playing well in the first set after getting down an early break and then just missing more towards the end of the second. She played badly to get so far down in the third but the way she roared back was insane. She hit some killer passing shots and the helicopter forehand was GOAT :lol: And the crowd was totally for Maria the entire time which is sort of rare.

I just wish I could download the match from somewhere.

Rawr that comeback.

MM_1257
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I am watching an old match now, one that I have never seen - Masha vs. Schaul in Tokyon-Japan Open 2003... And OMG... that's a shitfest in the first set. :lol:

Trih
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Where are you watching it? :p Sometimes I try to watch old matches on youtube but when the quality is so poor that I cannot even see the ball, I just leave it.

Tennisvampire
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Where are you watching it? :p Sometimes I try to watch old matches on youtube but when the quality is so poor that I cannot even see the ball, I just leave it.

When I want to watch an older match, I use the site called Tennishaven. They have a lot of torrents, although older matches are hard to find, but by using it, I got to download all of Maria's GS wins (the final matches), even Wimbly...

JoPova
Aug 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
2012 Rome final against Na Li :worship: I was there! I saw the whole thing happening in front of my eyes! :sobbing:

MiiMo
Aug 15th, 2012, 04:58 AM
The 2012 Indian Wells Semi against Caroline was also a great shitfest to me !

Shivank17
Aug 15th, 2012, 05:11 AM
^Miami you mean. ;) Started so well, and then gifted the first set. Santaclauspova :lol: That drama at match point was :worship:

Also, IW 2011 vs Peng, the choke :worship:

MiiMo
Aug 15th, 2012, 04:47 PM
^Miami you mean. ;) Started so well, and then gifted the first set. Santaclauspova :lol: That drama at match point was :worship:

Also, IW 2011 vs Peng, the choke :worship:

Yeah, right, Miami ! Sorry

Vodkapova
Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
This thread :spit:

Someone needs to find all the live scoring for all of these matches. I remember posting in most of them. :haha:

domon17th
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM
This thread :spit:

Someone needs to find all the live scoring for all of these matches. I remember posting in most of them. :haha:

Miami 2011. Teerin & the Oprah :worship::lol: NOT WORTHY

ServeCaspian
Aug 19th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Dulgheru, Watson, Jankovic. Too many epics. :hysteric: