PDA

View Full Version : Shooting breaks out at Sikh temple in Wisconsin

wild.river
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
At least one gunman opened fire during morning services on Sunday at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, and remained on the loose inside the temple, possibly holding hostages, according to witnesses.

Police, ambulances and the fire department were on the scene at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, located about 20 minutes south of Milwaukee.

The dispatcher for Oak Creek Fire Department said first reports of the shooting came in about 10:30 a.m. local time (11.30 a.m. EDT).

"We do have a shooting," she said. "Our whole department is out there, and others as well." She did not have details on any possible victims.

Police officials declined to comment.

It was unclear how many people may have been wounded in the shooting. But two witnesses said the shooter or shooters were still inside the building.

Carolyn Bellin, spokeswoman for Froedhart & The Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, told CNN two men had been brought in and one was undergoing surgery.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/05/us-usa-wisconsin-shooting-idUSBRE8740FP20120805

:tape::tape::tape::tape::tape::tape:

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Oh God no. :tears:

Temperenka
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Awful thing to have happen. And its so close to where my family lives. : (

Temperenka
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM
At least seven dead according to local news here.

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM
So sad. :sad:

Sammo
Aug 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM
God bless America

http://thewiddershins2.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/godgun.jpg

pov
Aug 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't call this "shooting breaks out." That's a phrase used when people are arguing and then it boils over. This was a targeted attack.

Tennis Fool
Aug 6th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Apparently the shooter was a white male with a 9/11 tattoo :facepalm:

ranfurly
Aug 6th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Oh my, this isn't good! :-(

Sorry to hear of such travesty, Sikh's I find are very calm, humble people.

njnetswill
Aug 6th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Sikhs have suffered so much in this country post-9/11, the unfortunate target of completely ignorant hate. I met the brother of the man who was shot and killed a few days after 9/11 for wearing a turban.

LeRoy.
Aug 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Apparently the shooter was a white supremacist and a former Army Veteran who thought that Sikhs were Muslims.

King Halep
Aug 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
:confused: it was Iraq that blew up 9/11

*JR*
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:26 PM
WASHINGTON, Aug. 6, 2012

(Reuters) — President Barack Obama said on Monday that Americans need to do more "soul searching" to find ways to reduce violence in the wake of a deadly weekend shooting spree at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

"All of us recognize that these kinds of terrible, tragic events are happening with too much regularity," Obama said at a White House bill-signing ceremony when asked whether further gun control measures were needed. He said elected officials and community leaders must come together to discuss what should be done.

Obama said federal authorities had not yet determined what motivated the gunman but that if it turned out to be the "ethnicity of those who were attending the temple, I think the American people immediately recoil against those kinds of attitudes."

Soul searching? :confused: Wait, I forgot, this is an election year and you're scared to take on the NRA, Mr. President. :secret: Those who vote mainly based on the NRA agenda will vote against you anyhow; why not rally the majority of the US public who are for stronger gun control laws? Political coward. :rolleyes:

King Halep
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM
President Barack Obama said on Monday that Americans need to do more "soul searching"

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Everytime theres one of these, America does soul searching then they rush out and buy tons of weapons

Halardfan
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Soul searching? :confused: Wait, I forgot, this is an election year and you're scared to take on the NRA, Mr. President. :secret: Those who vote mainly based on the NRA agenda will vote against you anyhow; why not rally the majority of the US public who are for stronger gun control laws? Political coward. :rolleyes:

I like Obama, but there is some truth in what you said.

edificio
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I feel so sad for the United States. That so many people think that guns and religion are the answer to everything.

The U.S. does need to do a lot of soul searching; however, I'm not sure that many people know how that is done.

I am so saddened by the racism, intolerance, and stupidity that have taken over this country.

It sickens me.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I posted a video in the thread about the recent Colorado shootings, it had a clip of a psychologist saying that every time a mass shooting happens and it's glorified all over the news, they expect to see similiar incidents within the month.

Something really needs to be done about both the guns issue and the media coverage of it.

wild.river
Aug 7th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I posted a video in the thread about the recent Colorado shootings, it had a clip of a psychologist saying that every time a mass shooting happens and it's glorified all over the news, they expect to see similiar incidents within the month.

Something really needs to be done about both the guns issue and the media coverage of it.

it certainly doesn't help that for each person condemning the shooter, two nra nuts pop up where they're not wanted to defend gun rights :mad:

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Apparently the shooter was a white male with a 9/11 tattoo :facepalm:
So will white males with tatoos get special attention and scrutiny now?

I doubt it, sadly, people who look like the victims of the shootings will still get longer questioning and be told to step aside or go in a closed room for more questioning.

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2012, 03:53 AM
More info is coming out about the shooter.
One of his army buddy was interviewed on CNN.

Apparently, has increasingly gotten deeper and deeper in white supremacist movement, constantly warning of a race war. whites vs. non-whites +Jews.

So it is highly possible the Sikhs temple was just a target of opportunity; it was there, and the people were non-whites.

Some people also speculate the word "Temple" may have suggested to them this was a Jewish place of worship, therefore for qualified as eligible target in their planned race war

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2012, 04:06 AM
it certainly doesn't help that for each person condemning the shooter, two nra nuts pop up where they're not wanted to defend gun rights :mad:
That should not be a surprise to you, is it?

JN
Aug 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I feel so sad for the United States. That so many people think that guns and religion are the answer to everything.

The U.S. does need to do a lot of soul searching; however, I'm not sure that many people know how that is done.

I am so saddened by the racism, intolerance, and stupidity that have taken over this country.

It sickens me.

Those two have been present since the founding of this country.

cowsonice
Aug 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM

imo it's not AS sensationalized as the Colorado shooting.

wta_zuperfann
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
President Barack Obama said on Monday that Americans need to do more "soul searching"

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Everytime theres one of these, America does soul searching then they rush out and buy tons of weapons

You might have a point there.

wta_zuperfann
Aug 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
here's a portrait of the stalwart citizen who committed the crime:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/us/wisconsin-temple-shooting/index.html

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120806113200-page-myspace-story-top.jpg

white supremacist admirer of Hitler who worshiped the Prince of Peace

JN
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Why the Reaction Is Different When the Terrorist Is White

By Conor Friedersdorf

Aug 8 2012, 7:30 AM ET

Atrocities like the attack on the Sikh congregation in Wisconsin introduce terrifying dissonance into America's post-9/11 mindset.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/politics/sikh.jpg
Members of the Sikh congregation mourn their dead. / Reuters

Observing that the Sunday attack on a Sikh temple in Wisconsin hasn't attracted nearly as much attention as other shooting sprees, including last week's rampage at an Aurora, Colorado movie theater, Robert Wright wonders (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/08/aurora-vs-oak-creek-misallocated-fears/260807/) if the disparity is due to the fact that most people who shape discourse in America "can imagine their friends and relatives -- and themselves -- being at a theater watching a Batman movie," but can't imagine themselves or their acquaintances in a Sikh temple. "This isn't meant as a scathing indictment; it's only natural to get freaked out by threats in proportion to how threatening they seem to you personally," Wright says, adding that the press ought to give much more coverage to the incident.

In a provocative essay in The Awl, Jay Caspian Kang goes different places (http://www.theawl.com/2012/08/violence-and-making-sense) with the same core insight. "Who, when first hearing of the news, didn't assume the killings were an act of racial hatred? Who didn't start to piece together the turbans, the brown skin, the epidemic of post-9/11 violence that is under-reported, or at least never has all its incidents connected?" he asked. That narrative "only implicates a small percentage of Americans," he continued, "the story of the massacre at Oak Creek will be, by definition, exclusionary. It will be 'tragic' and 'unthinkable' and 'horrific,' but it will not force millions of Americans to ask potentially unanswerable questions. It will not animate an angry public." It will seem different, he adds, to members of the several minority groups "who cannot limit themselves out of the victims of Oak Creek."

These observations ring largely true to me.

There is, however, another factor that likely explains some of the reticence of some Americans, including professional commentators, to focus very much attention on the Oak Creek massacre.

Their disinclination to grapple with it has less to do with the victims than the gunman. The key factor isn't that they're Sikhs; it's that the apparent homegrown terrorist -- a term virtually no one would object to had a murderous Muslim burst into the Sikh temple -- was perpetrated by a white guy.

Hold the victims constant and give the perpetrator the last name Mohammed. Does anyone think for a moment that such an attack wouldn't still be the most discussed story at Fox News and National Review? And at various network news shows and unaffiliated newspapers for that matter?

Instead Wade Michael Page was the gunman.

Cont'd... (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/08/why-the-reaction-is-different-when-the-terrorist-is-white/260849/)