PDA

View Full Version : Most Emotional Olympic Moments

Wert.
Aug 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Shin Lam's sitting-on-stage one hour protest was :sad: :crying2: :hug: but :worship:

Cant believe what they have done to her :o :o

and now they are recognising her Olympic spirit by offering her some kind of crap called Special medal :spit:

Anyway share yours here !! :wavey:

Sam L
Aug 4th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Probably when Whitney sang One Moment in Time at the Grammys.

KournikovaFan91
Aug 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Lolo Jones crashing through a hurdle in Bejing. Felt so bad for her :sad: :sad:

pierce85
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Watching North Korean athletes lose, it's hard watching someone when you know they'll be dead till next month

Melange
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Seeing Laure on tv :hearts::hearts:

Florent may have won the medal but all attention was on Laure

MaxQue
Aug 4th, 2012, 05:36 AM
When Canadian judoka Antoine Valois-Fortier won a medal in judo.
I never saw someone expressing happiness so much.

Kəv.
Aug 4th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Wasn't a Chinese Man running in 2008 Beijing when he hurt his leg in practice and then he could do it and started crying.

Mikey.
Aug 4th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I remember watching Jane Saville in the 20km walk at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. I sat through the entire thing watching her battle it out! Right at the end just as she was coming into the stadium to get the gold for Australia she was disqualified. She was so devastated and I was absolutely gutted for her. I don't think I've ever felt that disappointed over a sporting result outside of tennis. However in the 2004 Athens Olympics she went on to win Bronze in the very same event. When she received her medal on the podium she was a crying emotional mess and I was so happy for her. Just looking at this picture makes me a little emotional.

http://www.athletics.com.au/freestyler/files/generated/Jane%20Saville%20-%20Athens_w430.jpg

tommyk75
Aug 4th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Can we include the Winter Olympics? If so, it was seeing Michelle Kwan lose out to Tara Lipinski. It was so, so close, and the night was already so emotional with Lu Chen skating so beautifully after all her struggles. Anyway, I was a huge Michelle fan, and it was so tough to see, even though yes, I had to admit that Tara actually was better that night. And of course, four years later, it was deja vu...

For the Summer Olympics, seeing Greg Louganis bang his head was pretty shocking, and Kerri Strug finishing her vault one-legged was quite amazing, too. Seeing the Magnificent Seven up on the podium with Bela Karolyi holding Kerri in his arms was an unforgettable moment.

Petkovic
Aug 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Watching North Korean athletes lose, it's hard watching someone when you know they'll be dead till next month

:tape: :worship:

fantic
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM

:hysteric:

Ryan
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Seeing Paula Findlay in the Triathlon today was pretty brutal - finished dead last, sobbing, and apologizing to Canada. :(

Mynarco
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Seeing Paula Findlay in the Triathlon today was pretty brutal - finished dead last, sobbing, and apologizing to Canada. :(

I really don't understand why the athletes have to apologise to their people. This is silly.

shap_half
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I really don't understand why the athletes have to apologise to their people. This is silly.

Probably because the athlete feels that s/he is doing this for his/her country? The Olympics usually solidifies a nation, and when someone from your country loses, it's not the athlete who shoulders that disappointment. It's a fairly simple thing to understand.

JustPetko
Aug 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Florent and Laure Manadou yesterday :awww:

Sammo
Aug 4th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Lolo Jones crashing through a hurdle in Bejing. Felt so bad for her :sad: :sad:

:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

It would be so great if she could win the gold now... She was so close....

Mforensic
Aug 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Probably because the athlete feels that s/he is doing this for his/her country? The Olympics usually solidifies a nation, and when someone from your country loses, it's not the athlete who shoulders that disappointment. It's a fairly simple thing to understand.

Though it is horrible to think that for some of these athletes it is a matter of their lively hood, or in some cases life or death.

delicatecutter
Aug 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Kerri Strug landing her vault in Atlanta!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Aug 5th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Kerri Strug landing her vault in Atlanta!
Agree 100% - such an iconic and emotional moment. I think all of USA was going crazy when she landed that vault.

VeeJJ
Aug 5th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Michelle Kwan :sad: It's like she was just destined to be fucked out of the Gold that she so deserved.

Andy.
Aug 5th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Still my favourite Olympic moment. I remember watching this as a child. One of Australia's greatest sporting moments. Not because she was the best ever or she ran the best times but because of how much pressure she was under and how she united our nation.

JElsXXQqaUU

There are shorter and better quality versions of this race but nothing compares to Bruce's commentary. It still gives me goosebumps.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 5th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Michelle Kwan :sad: It's like she was just destined to be fucked out of the Gold that she so deserved.

Please. If she won, she would have deserved it. She didn't.

nevetssllim
Aug 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Radcliffe's marathon at the 2004 Olympics and Liu Xiang at the 2008 Olympics. Just horrible seeing two great athletes bodies' break down on the most visible stage.

Vyacheslavovna
Aug 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Muhammad Ali lighting the flame in Atlanta. He had to let his torch drop down to about the level of his knee to light it and the wind was blowing the flame up his arm. His whole body was shaking because of his Parkinsons while the damn thing wouldn't light. I thought he was gonna set himself on fire! We see people crying because they won or crying because they lost everyday. Whateva. What set this apart was the mixed emotions I had. On the one hand it was a personal triumph for him to manage to light the flame despite his condition. And it was a moving moment to see the once biggest badass on the planet, willing to be seen by hundreds of millions barely able to walk.

On the other hand, when Ali was at his prime and refused to be drafted, he was the most hated man in America. They took away his license to fight and they took away his passport so he couldn't fight anywhere else. It seems to me that he was only fully embraced after he became sick, after he lost his physical power and his gifts for charismatic speaking, when as a symbol of black pride, he wasn't so potent. He was only fully embraced once he became safe. So to put his now emasculated ownself up on a pedestal almost represents a final victory for the America that hated him. Look at you now. Someone else might see it as a moment that confirmed America was in a better place, where people didn't think in terms of black and white. At the last census black people made up 10% of the population, but black men made up 40% of the prison population. Maybe black men are just more criminally inclined.

Even as a munchkin, I found it all incredibly powerful. People can read into it in lots of different ways, I'm still not sure how I feel about it, that's why it was such a great moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/eleanoroldroyd/ali595.jpg

McPie
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.london2012.com/mm/Photo/sport/General/01/31/57/63/1315763_M01.jpg

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.london2012.com/mm/Photo/sport/General/01/31/57/63/1315763_M01.jpg

:lol:

I guess this is one of them.:awww:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/552659_10151077908677348_1025876075_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/487671_414930371876880_1013934490_n.jpg

He tried so hard but still to no avail.:hug:

shirley
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have to agree with MightyMashaFan. Cathy Freeman winning gold in Sydney came me goosebumps as I watched it on tv

KournikovaFan91
Aug 5th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Predicting one in women's boxing when Katie Taylor is robbed of a medal by sketchy scoring. Can already see it happening the way the boxing has been going thus far. :tape:

eck
Aug 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Gotta feel for Liu Xiang. That looked terrible the way he fell. :o

Kəv.
Aug 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Liu Ciang NDF again! 5 players DNF in that heat..

Dani12
Aug 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Still my favourite Olympic moment. I remember watching this as a child. One of Australia's greatest sporting moments. Not because she was the best ever or she ran the best times but because of how much pressure she was under and how she united our nation.

JElsXXQqaUU

There are shorter and better quality versions of this race but nothing compares to Bruce's commentary. It still gives me goosebumps.

This is without a shadow of a doubt the most enduring memory for me and for Australia in sporting history. It probably will be as Bruce put it, "famous" forever...words that have almost been immortalised in history. Still gives me chills, this is the most significant sporting moment in Australian history.

Also on a side note, I remember crying like a baby for Jane Saville. Also :lol: at Roy and HG.

SaIz_NCagbc

Dani12
Aug 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I remember watching Jane Saville in the 20km walk at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. I sat through the entire thing watching her battle it out! Right at the end just as she was coming into the stadium to get the gold for Australia she was disqualified. She was so devastated and I was absolutely gutted for her. I don't think I've ever felt that disappointed over a sporting result outside of tennis. However in the 2004 Athens Olympics she went on to win Bronze in the very same event. When she received her medal on the podium she was a crying emotional mess and I was so happy for her. Just looking at this picture makes me a little emotional.

http://www.athletics.com.au/freestyler/files/generated/Jane%20Saville%20-%20Athens_w430.jpg

great picture, pretty much sums up Jane's journey.

kittyking
Aug 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Mahe Drysdale - 3 time world champion going into Beijing 08, got incredibly sick lost nearly 10kg and still managed to get the bronze.

2012.... wins gold, reasonably comfortably :rocker2: Not a dry eye in New Zealand

Chrissie-fan
Aug 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Cathy Freeman :worship:

August
Aug 8th, 2012, 03:39 PM
It must be Finland losing 2006 Winter Olympics' ice hockey final. Finland had won all their matches before final, including impressive SF win over Russia. Then, Finland went to play their worst match of the tournament in the final. And Winter Olympics are the biggest national team tournament in ice hockey and that was possibly Finland's last really good chance to win Olympic Gold in OG with NHL players. NHL may not allow its players to attend future OGs, and even if there would be World Cup of Hockeys, it wouldn't feel the same as OG. And, I think that in short future, Finland can't win Olympic ice hockey unless they are really lucky.

Mikey.
Aug 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM

JElsXXQqaUU

This is without a shadow of a doubt the most enduring memory for me and for Australia in sporting history. It probably will be as Bruce put it, "famous" forever...words that have almost been immortalised in history. Still gives me chills, this is the most significant sporting moment in Australian history.

Also on a side note, I remember crying like a baby for Jane Saville. Also :lol: at Roy and HG.

SaIz_NCagbc

Yes, Cathy's win at those Olympics really was one of Autralia's most memorable sporting achievements. I actually had tickets to that final and I'm so glad I was old enough to remember it all. There was such an amazing atmosphere there that night. I have so many amazing memories from the 2000 Olympics that I'll treasure forever. :tears:

EDIT: And omg... I haven't seen that footage of Jane for so long. :sobbing: DEAD @ the men running!