PDA

View Full Version : Age barrier at work!? (and life)

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Is that a problem for you?

I find myself frustrated most of the time because people (clients, co workers, strangers, banks & institutions, society in general) do not take you seriously.

Speacially for the kind of job I do (sales) people need to trust you but when they see me they most of the time ask what is my age & some sales have ended in failure mostly because a prejudice I can't break.

Last week I wanted to apply for an international credit card & although I did meet all the economic requirements they rejected me because I'm not 25 yet. :tape:

Life's tough :lol:

I'm 22 btw.

LeRoy.
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Maybe ,just maybe, its not an age barrier but a face barrier ? :confused:

delicatecutter
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
That was harsh.

NyCPsU
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Im 24 and the next youngest person in my entire company is over 35. I am in pharma sales and I totally get what you are saying. My clients are fine with me, its a lot of my co workers that handle it weird. And its more on their end than mine. Its like they get nervous around me. I dont know how else to describe it. I am definitely envious of my friends who work with other people their age or at least have a few in their age bracket. I have no one to talk to about how drunk I was the weekend before :lol: but in all seriousness I can only have so much in common or to say when it comes to hearing about my co worker's kids soccer game the weekend before.

edificio
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
It's understandable. The only thing you can do is just be the best you can be.

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Im 24 and the next youngest person in my entire company is over 35. I am in pharma sales and I totally get what you are saying. My clients are fine with me, its a lot of my co workers that handle it weird. And its more on their end than mine. Its like they get nervous around me. I dont know how else to describe it. I am definitely envious of my friends who work with other people their age or at least have a few in their age bracket. I have no one to talk to about how drunk I was the weekend before :lol: but in all seriousness I can only have so much in common or to say when it comes to hearing about my co worker's kids soccer game the weekend before.

Pharma sales? Like in a drug store or for a lab?

Luckyly there's youth where I work but I do get along with the rest of my colleagues we often go for some drinks after work & gather together for a bbq, birthdays or something. Most of them are parents too. Maybe the enviroment at your work is too formal, how long have you been working there?

shap_half
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
I know this is not the same thing, but on work trips, it happens to me sometimes. I'm in my early late twenties, but when traveling for work, I'm usually with people who are much older than me from other parts of the country and other offices. And it's very rare for me to be traveling with anyone in my age range. (There have been trips where someone may be younger, but that's happened twice, and I travel for work a fair bit.) But I just make do and dazzle with my personality and by engaging people on a level that showcases that there are commonalities in everyone's lives, no matter the differences. Food and relationships always bring people together, for example.

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
It's understandable. The only thing you can do is just be the best you can be.

;)

I've tried not to shave during work days to look a bit older, it does add a couple of years to my appearence. :lol:

I know this is not the same thing, but on work trips, it happens to me sometimes. I'm in my early late twenties, but when traveling for work, I'm usually with people who are much older than me from other parts of the country and other offices. And it's very rare for me to be traveling with anyone in my age range. (There have been trips where someone may be younger, but that's happened twice, and I travel for work a fair bit.) But I just make do and dazzle with my personality and by engaging people on a level that showcases that there are commonalities in everyone's lives, no matter the differences. Food and relationships always bring people together, for example.

I want a full time job that would demand me to travel, sometimes I'm stuck in an office & I hate that. At least I get to talk a lot in my job. :lol:

kwilliams
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM

:lol:

That sounds like something I'd say but I'd say it tongue-in-cheek!

Sammo
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM

I find myself frustrated most of the time because people (clients, co workers, strangers, banks & institutions, society in general) do not take you seriously.

Speacially for the kind of job I do (sales) people need to trust you but when they see me they most of the time ask what is my age & some sales have ended in failure mostly because a prejudice I can't break.

Last week I wanted to apply for an international credit card & although I did meet all the economic requirements they rejected me because I'm not 25 yet. :tape:

I'm 22 btw.

I have one word for you: BEARD.

debby
Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Maybe ,just maybe, its not an age barrier but a face barrier ? :confused:

Oh you are back.

Anyway it's true, some people have age-related préjugés. My brother (he is 30) is so damn insufferable. "I really can't understand how you can be friends with someone who is 10 years older than you, really at work, I notice these people who are your age, Deborah, and they are so immature, we really don't belong to the same world. They care about getting drunk, I have much more serious worries, I have two kids now." :weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:
He is also the most stubborn dude I've ever known so whatever...

So I guess... as long as you do your work, are always OK to make your job, and all nice to others, like a smiley then chit chat then a cup of coffee during your short break with your workmates... Should be good enough...
But yes, if you want to get a bold position or something, it will likely be hampered by age.
Maybe try to not show too much your young age by talking about getting drunk, etc etc ? :o But to be honest, my brother overuses the age excuse when I am trying to debate/have a serious discussion with him or even when he is tired so doesn't want to talk to me. :lol: It's quite common, I already felt that when I worked in a factory.

Main thing : focus on your job, show you are enthusiastic and ready to learn more from them...

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Well my problem is with the customers not with my co workers. I also try to learn from all people I've met but on work I don't want to sound arrogant but I'm better & more experienced than most of them who are older than me. :lol:

debby
Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
Well my problem is with the customers not with my co workers. :lol:

Well that can work with the customers as older people can have préjugés related to age. Also many might think "oh he is so young, I bet he just started his job, and doesn't know shit.. must be incompetent."

You need to prove yourself to each customer, it's tiring I know. :sad: but if you do, that will impress your boss too ! But then it's not that easy... just look cool and serious, and talk about what you know..

delicatecutter
Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
This girl at my job who is 21 got a promotion over a lot of more experienced people and a few eyebrows were raised. :lol:

Nicolás89
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Well that can work with the customers as older people can have préjugés related to age. Also many might think "oh he is so young, I bet he just started his job, and doesn't know shit.. must be incompetent."

You need to prove yourself to each customer, it's tiring I know. :sad: but if you do, that will impress your boss too ! But then it's not that easy... just look cool and serious, and talk about what you know..

Yea I think that's it. :o

Well in sales the only thing that will impress your boss is by reaching the sales goals. :lol:

I love sales every customer is a new challenge, a new story, etc. :hearts:

Mforensic
Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
It may not be an age barrier, but rather an experience barrier. Also being in your twenties versus being in your 30's or 40's you are different stages in life. I'm nearly 40 and I am the oldest person in my deparment at work. What I find is at work I do relate to my co-workers who have been in the biz for awhile and those that around my age and have kids since thats the center of our lives right now. I do help out our new co-workers who tend to be between 22-26, but whenever they are struggling I do chalk it up to experience ad tell them it will take time to get things right. I admit I dont socialize with them as much as their conversations are usually about, dating, clubs, etc. Things I did when I was in my 20's, but I know longer relate to as I have outgrown that scene and have moved on. Though I do like to share a funny story or two just t ad in some words of wisdom.

The Witch-king
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM

I'm 22 btw.

I can relate and I don't know what to tell you other than maybe you need to start dressing older and/or lying about your age since your job (sales) is partly about appearances?

$uricate
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I find that its not even how old you are, its how old people think you are.

Im 27 :unsure: but I get ID'd buying a lottery ticket and everyone assumes Im a lot younger than I am so I never get taken seriously, even though Im very mature underneath the complete lack of common-sense I have :lol:

Saori Kimura Fan
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Matías you always remind me of 'Morgan' from the TV series Chuck. In a good way, of course. And this before I even knew you work in sales. :)

Nicolás89
Aug 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Ok!? :unsure:

Hurley
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:15 AM
You have the rest of your life to develop a career. Enjoy being young while you still can.

Mforensic
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:47 AM
You have the rest of your life to develop a career. Enjoy being young while you still can.

I agree. Enjoy your 20's, because life gets more serious as it goes on.

McPie
Aug 8th, 2012, 03:52 AM
this is still exist in THA.

meyerpl
Aug 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Start drinking and smoking heavily and using methamphetamine. You will quickly take on an older appearance.

The Witch-king
Aug 9th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Matías you always remind me of 'Morgan' from the TV series Chuck. In a good way, of course. And this before I even knew you work in sales. :)

:rolleyes: