PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack for a trip?

shap_half
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm the worst, and I've tried to simplify it by creating packing spreadsheets. (It sounds nuts but for a while it really helped me NOT arrive in a hotel only to find out I've only brought one pair of pants for a week-long vacation.) But even then I still find myself overpacking or just not packing very smartly.

Has anyone discovered a packing approach that really works for them?

moby
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM
It's not that hard?

It depends on your priorities, how long the trip is and whether you can get your clothes washed.

Bring a top for every day and pants for every 2-3 days. Underwear for every day. Clothes to sleep in. Toiletries. Extra cash to buy whatever you have left out.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Depends on how long the trip is.

For short trips (going on one tomorrow), I usually pack a tshirt for everyday, jeans/trousers to change every 2 days, a shirt, toiletries and underwear for everyday.

For trips of around a week I take an extra jacket and an extra pair of shoes. Also take some clubbing clothes and extra underwears if there is a good gay village.

For longer trips, I go well prepared with a lot of extra clothes and toiletries.

shap_half
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
It's not that hard?

It depends on your priorities, how long the trip is and whether you can get your clothes washed.

Bring a top for every day and pants for every 2-3 days. Underwear for every day. Clothes to sleep in. Toiletries. Extra cash to buy whatever you have left out.

I'm not like most people. I've been both: The one who underpacks and the one who over packs.

A friend of mine once tried to convince me to bring 30 items of clothing (underwear not included) for a four-week trip through Europe. I could not do it.

I've also been that person who's had to throw stuff away during a trip because I've brought too much. And wanted to buy more.

The solution seems to be bigger luggage, but I'm traveling alone for about three weeks, and I don't want to be inconvenienced with a larger thing.

I think the issue is also shoes. I have quite the collection. I've managed to survive off three pairs during any sort of trip.

moby
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Where are you going and where are you staying? If it's a place where you can and want to shop, go with few clothes and old clothes that you are about to dispose of anyway.
Get expandable luggage/keep a cloth bag in your luggage.

If you're travelling for 3 weeks, then it makes sense to get your clothes laundered at least once. I would never bring more than 2 weeks worth of clothes.

Valanga
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I usually have a pouch in the backpack, with all the trivial yet necessary items in it (eg. padlock with key, chargers, adaptors, a pen, ID), so I won't forget it when leaving in a hurry. For clothes I usually pack (day+2) T-shirts and underwears and a pair of trousers and shorts. Another small bag for toiletries.

shap_half
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm planning to head to Europe for about three weeks; however, parts of the trip (like a bit over a week in total) are for work so I need to represent.

Doing laundry doing a trip is just not something I want to do. I don't mind washing t-shirts and undies in the bathroom of the hotel, but that's about all I'd be down to do.

moby
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm planning to head to Europe for about three weeks; however, parts of the trip (like a bit over a week in total) are for work so I need to represent.

Doing laundry doing a trip is just not something I want to do. I don't mind washing t-shirts and undies in the bathroom of the hotel, but that's about all I'd be down to do.Find a laundry shop. Unless you want to bring a huge suitcase or 2.

Valanga
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Doing laundry doing a trip is just not something I want to do. I don't mind washing t-shirts and undies in the bathroom of the hotel, but that's about all I'd be down to do.

Lots of hostels provide washing machine at a small charge. Check your hostels if they provide such service. Or simply go to a laundrette.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
I usually pack very little (toiletries/make-up make up most of the weight) and come home with way too much :oh:

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm the worst, and I've tried to simplify it by creating packing spreadsheets. (It sounds nuts but for a while it really helped me NOT arrive in a hotel only to find out I've only brought one pair of pants for a week-long vacation.) But even then I still find myself overpacking or just not packing very smartly.

Has anyone discovered a packing approach that really works for them?
Are you male or female. As a female I always mix and match colors that can be used multiple ways and leave the what if's at home. Never take an extra outfit that you think you might need. I generally travel in the same pair of jeans both way with a different top. Don't take to many heavy clothes as they take up to much room and are heavy.

I use to travel for a living and learned the hard way. Almost forgot, begin packing several days prior to trip and when you think of something you need put it in your luggage. Example when brushing your teeth, go pack spare tooth brush etc. I always have an extra set of toiletries that I leave in luggage so I don't worry about leaving any necessities. Don't forget to roll your clothes they take up less room.

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:07 PM

Wish I had read this before responding but if they have a store like Chico's near you that have a clothes line called Traveler and the material is light, wrinkle free and can be mix and matched really well. You can change accessories and change the outfit. They'll show you how to do that and make several outfits out of one set. There clothes can be used for business as well as everyday by changing tops and jewelery.

Mikey.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:33 PM
I ask everyone else what they're taking and adjust mine from there. :lol:

Thanos
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:52 AM
condoms, couple of undies.

Nicolás89
Aug 4th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I always find myself packing much much more than what I need. :tape:

saint2
Aug 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
- backpack