PDA

View Full Version : Football: Is It Too Early To Start A Debate On Huber Possession Football?

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Yes, Spain national team has done well these last 10 years, by wining 2 Euopean Championship titles and World Cup.
But this Olympics game has started to show glare limitation on huber possession football.

Despite hugging the ball most of the time in ALL of their 3 group matches, Spain has not scored a SINGLE goal.
As a critic of this style of paly, I have argued that it si good at turning exceptional ball handlers who can do magic with the ball in samll spaces.
It is terrible at creating creating strikers, and if strikers are on the team, the style is terrible at encougraging them at abeing themselves; which having a nose for the goals.
Strikers are like predators, their instinct is to penetrate and go straight where the goal is.

This over emphasis on exceptional and precide ball handling and trrying to fit with midfield players type of stills, has all but killed the instinct of a type striker, who'd like to take chances, break tackles, expect long ball in the air and create somehting out of nothing.
Group possession football where every players moves like a colony of ants is not condusive to the single mindedness of a striker.

If have noticed 2 tendencies in the way Spain senior national teams wins

They mentally exhaust the opposition by running them down, with possession, when they have metnal lapses, Spain scores. If this happens early, Spain will score lots of goals
The other team does not bite and conserves its energy, waiting to repel Spain attack in the red zone. In this scnario, since Spain has no tradidional striker, they have difficulty scoring. This is where the match ends in draw in regualtion and Spain get overtime win. When they are lucky, they score towards the end of regulation. This has to produce lot of stress on the players. All that posseion time, and nothing to show for it.I have said my piece, not it is your turn.

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:44 AM
Soccer should not be an olympic sport, it is the only sport where the top players & teams aren't allowed to play. :help:

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:47 AM
Last frustrating 90 minutes for Spain

Fancied Spain eliminated from Olympic football tournament without scoring a goal

Pre-tournament favourites Spain have embarrassingly bowed out of the men’s Olympic football competition without a goal to their name.
A month ago their compatriots retained their European Championship crown to add to World Cup glory, but this has been a few days to forget for coach Luis Milla’s side.
The goalless draw with Morocco, in front of a crowd of 35,973 at Manchester United’s Old Trafford, also ended the faint hopes of the north Africans, leaving Japan and Honduras as the surprise qualifiers from Group D.

The opening 45 minutes was an even affair, albeit devoid of many notable chances and punctuated towards the end by a torrential downpour.
Morocco’s Abdelaziz Barrada fired through the six-yard box from close range in the 27th minute when it appeared easier to hit the target.
That was followed four minutes later by Spain’s best opportunity when Chelsea’s Juan Mata played in Adrian Lopez inside the area, only for the Atletico Madrid striker to hit the post.
On the hour, Morocco should have taken the lead, but Barrada’s low shot when clean through struck the inside of advancing Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea’s right knee.
Then Spain had four chances in seven minutes, but a Mata drive wide and a volley over from six yards sandwiched Lopez laughingly scuffing a one-on-one effort, whilst Chelsea midfielder Oriol Romeu saw Abdelatif Noussir clear his header off the line.

Late on, Spain nearly had salt rubbed into their wounds, however Zakaria Labyad blazed a volley over from point-blank range.
Asked as to how he felt at his side’s failure to score in four-and-a-half hours of football, Milla said: 'Frustrated. It’s a desperate situation. It’s more about the elimination in general we have to think about.
'We’ve played a recognisable way, created chances, and if we had taken just some of them we would have had a minimum of six points and it would have been very different.
'We came here with great expectations for the tournament, perhaps we were lacking a little in preparation.
'We had a difficult game against Japan, and perhaps bad luck has added to that in the last two games.'

Morocco coach Pim Verbeek refused to blame Ramadan for his side’s exit, with a number of players fasting throughout the day to honour their Muslim religion.

'It was very unusual, with some of my players eating at 8pm and another group at 9.30pm, so not eating together,' said Verbeek.
'You could see at the end of games they lost power, but that’s not an excuse.
'I have to say I’m very proud of the boys and the way they have performed at the same period as Ramadan.
'We created enough chances to score goals, not only today, but also against Honduras and Japan.'

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2182304/London-2012-Olympics-football-Spain-eliminated-scoring.html

Martian Jeza
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:58 AM
Most of their best players weren't there and personally I'm happy they didn't go far : Mata and Romeu will be good to start the Premier League season ;)

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Soccer should be an olympic sport, it is the only sport where the top players & teams aren't allowed to play. :help:
Europeans club owners, the most powerful group of foodtabll, are very reluctant to let thheir players go to the Olympics.
Afrinca nations often have to beg them just to release the African players for the African Cup of Nations.

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Most of their best players weren't there and personally I'm happy they didn't go far : Mata and Romeu will be good to start the Premier League season ;)
I don't think it is the players per se.
It si the system, the style of play.

No country sends all all their best player to the Olympics. Each team is only 3 overage players, the rest must be 23 or under.
Every nation is in the same boat.

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
Europeans club owners, the mosy powerful group of foodtabll, are very reluctant to let thheir players go to the Olympics.
Afrinca nations often have to beg them just to release the African players for the African Cup of nations.

The FIFA's president excuse is that they don't want the Olympics to become another World Cup & be so big that it would outstage the games. :o

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
The FIFA's president excuse is that they don't want the Olympics to become another World Cup & be so big that it would outstage the games. :o
Protecting his turf, sphere of influence, I see.
But that is also music to club owners' ears.

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Where all the English, Spanish, Italian, German football fans?
Tell us why, despite Spansih success in the last 10 years, no other European nation is in a rush to adopt Spain possession style.

shap_half
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM
Because, not everyone actually wants to play like that, because it's boresville.

10 years is a bit of an exaggeration considering Spain didn't win a title under this game plan until 2008.

You need the players and the chemistry to play this kind of football. Xavi and Iniesta play for Barcelona, not other midfield combination of their importance play for the same team. Schweinsteiger/Kroos is the closest you'll get in Munich, but after Khedira's fantastic Euros, I doubt you'll be seeing Kroos partnering with Xavi anytime soon, plus, Germany's approach is not about posession but about speed and creating chances as soon as you have the ball.

We all know what kind of football Italy is famed for. They look like they're going for the same kind of football that garnered Germany so much success in South Africa, but who knows what the new crop of Italian players will actually play like?

And I don't think England is really in any position to be part of a discussion regarding footballing identity.

Nicolás89
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
Italy & England are mainly defensive & counterpunching is their base strategy. Germany is all offense. Spain is mainly tactical.

To me Germany's game is the most appealing because it is also the most complete & solid.

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Italy & England are mainly defensive & counterpunching is their base strategy. Germany is all offense. Spain is mainly tactical.

To me Germany's game is the most appealing because it is also the most complete & solid.
I agree that Italy's identify has always been that of defensive counter-punching team, but I disagree English football is like that.

What makes English football, i.e. EPL , exciting is their penetrating and offensive style.
For England, problem has been the national team does not have enough talent pool to sustain the same style on the national team.
Another problem, English supporters seem to care more about their clubs and players on those clubs than their national team.

During international competition that pit national team against national team, English supporters have openly expressed anxiety and concerns that players on their favorite club might get hurt, jeopardizing their club chance in the EPL.
They are relieved when a national team, from any country, that features their club players, loses. To them, they see it as removing further risk of injury to their club players in the EPL

If they feel this way, I can help but extrapolate that they have no strong feeling or emotional commitment to the national team.
Therefore there is NO urgency or push to put to together a strong national team. When there is a push, it usually limited at the press corps and for a very short time; it stops as soon the EPL start playing again.

wayitis
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
you are being too harsh on Spain, even the best teams are bound to have a bad tournament sometimes, nobody can win indefinitely... This style of play has made wonders for the Spanish side, the talent, potential and strength of their Liga have been there for decades, but la Furia had had very few accolades to present for, besides being known as perennial chokers... If anything, the rigid organization of the system allowed the Spaniards to do away with the tactical mistakes and indiscipline that were costing them at later stages of the tournaments, and now they play on a very specific, safe but efficient way, reminiscent of the German side of the 70's and 80's... it will not blow you away, but it will make extremely hard for any opposing side to have a free flowing game... they will hardly score that many times, and in that way maybe the forwards are sacrificed for the better being of the team, but they will make it much harder to be scored upon...

What happened in these Olympics was just fateful, even during their losses they outshot and outplayed their opponents by miles, it just happens that both Japan and Honduras were extremely lucky/efficient to score during one of their only chances within the match...

wayitis
Aug 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
and talking about Japan and Honduras, it is interesting to note that Switzerland and Portugal (in a friendly, no less) are the only European sides that have beaten Spain recently (I didn't check it, I could be wrong), and their other losses and draws have come at non-European hands , which they have played against much less often... that is my only question about Spain, that they have not been effectively tested internationally, and have had the fortune to usually decide against European sides that they have clearly shown to be superior to during this stride...

tennisbum79
Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
you are being too harsh on Spain, even the best teams are bound to have a bad tournament sometimes, nobody can win indefinitely... This style of play has made wonders for the Spanish side, the talent, potential and strength of their Liga have been there for decades, but la Furia had had very few accolades to present for, besides being known as perennial chokers... If anything, the rigid organization of the system allowed the Spaniards to do away with the tactical mistakes and indiscipline that were costing them at later stages of the tournaments, and now they play on a very specific, safe but efficient way, reminiscent of the German side of the 70's and 80's... it will not blow you away, but it will make extremely hard for any opposing side to have a free flowing game... they will hardly score that many times, and in that way maybe the forwards are sacrificed for the better being of the team, but they will make it much harder to be scored upon...

What happened in these Olympics was just fateful, even during their losses they outshot and outplayed their opponents by miles, it just happens that both Japan and Honduras were extremely lucky/efficient to score during one of their only chances within the match...
The rigidity also kills creativity and individualiy; turning out factory-like blend players, who go out their way to work hard and fit in "their system", stamping out any signs personal tendencies likely to interfere with the orderly working of the system.
Sure, the novelty and the success of the team will still attract young Spanish players in the foreseable future, but the psychological pressure to be the same as everyone else will eventual turn off young players with strong sense of individualy and independecne to look at it as system they want to be part of.

Miss Amor
Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:15 AM
Its an extremely boring sport to begin with :o