PDA

View Full Version : [Updated] Controversies at the OG: Badminton/Table Tennis/Athletics

eck
Aug 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Badminton:

Round robin behind Badminton scandal

Teams are blaming the introduction of a round-robin stage in place of a straight knock out tournament for the badminton scandal that has hit the London Olympics.

The round-robin format opens the door for results to be manipulated to earn an easier matchup in the knockout stages.

This is how the farcical scenes played out in London on Tuesday.

The top Chinese pair allegedly threw their match to try to secure a more favourable draw after their second-seeded team unexpectedly lost to a Danish duo on Tuesday morning.

That placed the No.2 pair on course for a semi-final meeting with world doubles champions Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, instead of in the final.

Wang and Yu's quarter-final loss should have put them in the bottom half of the draw.

They hardly exerted themselves, and neither did the South Koreans, drawing jeers of derision from the crowd and warnings from the umpire and tournament referee Torsten Berg.

An hour later, the South Korean team Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung faced the Indonesians, with both teams apparently adopting a similar losing strategy to avoid meeting Wang and Yu.

Early on, all four players were warned by the umpire for not trying hard, and Berg returned and produced black cards to disqualify both pairs, but the cards were rescinded on a promise of better play.

In the third game, Berg reappeared to urge them to finish, and the Indonesians ended up being better at losing than Ha and Kim, who fell into the playoff they didn't want with the world champions.

Beijing badminton silver medallist Gail Emms said the matches were embarrassing to watch.

"It was absolutely shocking," she said. "The crowds were booing and chanting 'Off, off, off."'

Erick Thohir, the head of Indonesia's Olympic team accused Chinese players of losing on purpose in the past.

"China has been doing this so many times and they never get sanctioned by the BWF," Thohir said.

IOC vice president Craig Reedie, the former head of the international badminton federation, welcomed the disqualifications.

"Sport is competitive," Reedie said. "If you lose the competitive element, then the whole thing becomes a nonsense."

LOCOG chief executive officer Paul Deighton said there would be no ticket refunds for the evening's badminton program.

London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe called what happened "depressing," adding "who wants to sit through something like that?"

Source: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8509294

Table tennis:

I can't be sure what's going on, but Ding Ning (#1 women's table tennis player) is clearly unhappy and flustered by the umpire in the gold medal match.

[B]Athletics: [B]

Breaking news: Taoufik Makhloufi of Algeria has been excluded from the Games for not trying in today's 800m heat. This is a significant story as Makhloufi stormed to victory in the 1500m semi-finals and was a medal favourite, but will not be allowed to compete any further. Algeria failed to withdraw him from the 800m before yesterday's deadline and he was visibly not putting the effort in today. More on site soon...

Imperfect Angel
Aug 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
Ding Ning got screwed by the umpire because of her serve.:o She deifnitely was affected by that. :o

Seems like the Olympics are secretly trying to screw the Asians in the Olympics this time.:help:

WonderfulLee
Aug 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM
They should banned li yongbo from badminton ever. He is the guy behind all the fixing match between chinese player. And shame to INA's wd too:help:

WonderfulLee
Aug 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Just read on badminton forum that Yu Yang is left the sport for good!

PhilePhile
Aug 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Badminton:

Round robin behind Badminton scandal

Teams are blaming the introduction of a round-robin stage in place of a straight knock out tournament for the badminton scandal that has hit the London Olympics.

The round-robin format opens the door for results to be manipulated to earn an easier matchup in the knockout stages.

This is how the farcical scenes played out in London on Tuesday.

The top Chinese pair allegedly threw their match to try to secure a more favourable draw after their second-seeded team unexpectedly lost to a Danish duo on Tuesday morning.

That placed the No.2 pair on course for a semi-final meeting with world doubles champions Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, instead of in the final.

Wang and Yu's quarter-final loss should have put them in the bottom half of the draw.

They hardly exerted themselves, and neither did the South Koreans, drawing jeers of derision from the crowd and warnings from the umpire and tournament referee Torsten Berg.

An hour later, the South Korean team Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung faced the Indonesians, with both teams apparently adopting a similar losing strategy to avoid meeting Wang and Yu.

Early on, all four players were warned by the umpire for not trying hard, and Berg returned and produced black cards to disqualify both pairs, but the cards were rescinded on a promise of better play.

In the third game, Berg reappeared to urge them to finish, and the Indonesians ended up being better at losing than Ha and Kim, who fell into the playoff they didn't want with the world champions.

Beijing badminton silver medallist Gail Emms said the matches were embarrassing to watch.

"It was absolutely shocking," she said. "The crowds were booing and chanting 'Off, off, off."'

Erick Thohir, the head of Indonesia's Olympic team accused Chinese players of losing on purpose in the past.

"China has been doing this so many times and they never get sanctioned by the BWF," Thohir said.

IOC vice president Craig Reedie, the former head of the international badminton federation, welcomed the disqualifications.

"Sport is competitive," Reedie said. "If you lose the competitive element, then the whole thing becomes a nonsense."
LOCOG chief executive officer Paul Deighton said there would be no ticket refunds for the evening's badminton program.

London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe called what happened "depressing," adding "who wants to sit through something like that?"

Source: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8509294

... .

The funny thing is ... the players were playing for the Olympic gold. :lol:

August
Aug 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM
I don't like to see losing deliberately, but actually I think disqualifying is harsh. What if they'd done this more tactfully? Rules shouldn't encourage to lose. That's why they should abandon Round Robin.

edificio
Aug 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Reminds me of when Vika half-assed a meaningless round robin match at YEC and got booed in Istanbul.

Deliberately losing is deserving of a disqualification. It is basically match fixing.

I actually think the rule of two from each country is a bit anti-China, though.

August
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:05 PM

Does that apply to singles' badminton, too? I mean also Olympic tennis has two team rule for doubles. But two entrant rule sucks, I think. If you're World's 3rd best, you should have a chance to win Olympic Bronze, even if No. 1 and 2 are from your country.

Ellery
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Ironically, the team that benefits the most from this is China's number 2, Tian/Zhao. Their unexpected loss is what basically set the whole tanking mess into motion and now they will most likely win gold :rolls:

tennis-insomniac
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'd be ashamed if my country does something like this. Now the pairs from Russia and South Africa got the lucky spots :lol:

hablo
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
I'd be ashamed if my country does something like this. Now the pairs from Russia and South Africa got the lucky spots :lol:

Canada also benefited from this fiasco... :lol:

KarlyM*
Aug 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
More round robin fiascos... shocking. :facepalm:

wild.river
Aug 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM
i watched them play, and they seriously need to practice pretending to lose.
serving into the net like that was worse than watching a 10-yr-old play :help:

i don't fault their strategy though. there's obviously something massively flawed in the draw system if players will try to lose matches.

Valanga
Aug 1st, 2012, 11:27 PM
CsjDEGPIIZo
:tape:

KournikovaFan91
Aug 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM
This should never have had a RR format, but they also shouldn't have tried to throw the match.

Also couldn't they just have done a fake injury and retired :shrug: If they wanted to throw it.

This guarantees Rio won't be a RR format.

LeonHart
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:59 AM
GG South Korea, nation of cheaters :lol:

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:30 AM
GG South Korea, nation of cheaters :lol:

:tape: I thought China started this 'tradition' in Badminton :lol:

njnetswill
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Round robin is a mess. Remember when the ATP experimented with it in Chile?

Nicolas
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM
CsjDEGPIIZo

:help: OMFG!!!!

Julian.
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:51 AM
7mq1ioqiWEo

This is China vs Korea one :sobbing:

Trying to find the Indonesia vs Korea one but can't find it. Anybody have the link for the other match? :sobbing:

azdaja
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:18 AM
i watched them play, and they seriously need to practice pretending to lose.
serving into the net like that was worse than watching a 10-yr-old play :help:

i don't fault their strategy though. there's obviously something massively flawed in the draw system if players will try to lose matches.
this is what i'm thinking about the whole affair. if you want to make your sport competetive make sure the rules are in place that will make players want to win. you can't blame players for voluntary match fixing. it happens because players can competetively profit from it. and if you can't put rules in place to prevent such situations let the players do whatever they want.

olivero
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
People blamig RR format :o
I mean yeah, this was the reason for those tanks but the only ones to blame are the players and their coaches. They are an absolute disgrace and after watching those videos I'm very happy they were disqualified. RR format gives a chance for the weaker teams to gain experience and play longer at the Olympics. I don't think it's a bad idea. And please don't say that every time in similar situations players will tank because it's simply not true.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
What did you expect with a RR format? Teams are going to do everything to give themselves the best chance to medal, including tanking matches.

Lisickinator
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
These controversies will will happen again and again with a RR format. Just play those 4 groups in a double elimination format instead of a round robin. Every team will have at least two matches. The 4 winners of each group then should play for the medals in a single elim. or again in a double elim. format.

3 month to go for the next controversies at the YEC. :o

Mattographer
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
CsjDEGPIIZo
OMFG! :tape:

LeonHart
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
:tape: I thought China started this 'tradition' in Badminton :lol:

China started it so Korea is going to follow? :spit:

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
China started it so Korea is going to follow? :spit:

You're going to interpret THAT way? :lol: Can't really help being Chinese, can you? Typical ignorant Chinese ingoist.. I thought THE cheater nation was China :lol: Your original post was like pot calling the kettle black :tape:

Some uneducated barbaric Chinese are quite rude, just like you :haha:

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
And I thought that China or Formosa was a heaven for industrial & intellectual piracy (MAJOR CHEATERS) :lol: Dunno which, but who cares? Is Formosa even relevant nowadays? :haha: Dunno why they resist being absorbed to mainland China either :lol: Always been a thorn for world peace, Chiang even urged Ike to nuke China many times :help:

Leon you should guard your fingers, that kind of idiotic post will be instantly pounced :awww:

pancake
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
You're going to interpret THAT way? :lol: Can't really help being Chinese, can you? Typical ignorant Chinese ingoist.. I thought THE cheater nation was China :lol: Your original post was like pot calling the kettle black :tape:

Some uneducated barbaric Chinese are quite rude, just like you :haha:

Please, LeonHart is never really a pro-Chinese person.

And you're pretty defensive and it's lame of you to throw irrelevant insults at him, I see nothing rude or 'uneducated' in his post, it's just that your logic (and his, I have to say, his post was imo unfair and I know why you're upset) is flawed. Yeh pot calling kettle black so I don't see who started it first even matters.

pancake
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
And I thought that China or Formosa was a heaven for intellectual piracy (MAJOR CHEATERS) :lol: Dunno which, but who cares? Is Formosa even relevant nowadays? :haha: Dunno why they resist being absorbed to mainland China either :lol: Always been a thorn for world peace, Chiang even urged Ike to nuke China many times :help:

Leon you should guard your fingers, that kind of idiotic post will be instantly pounced :awww:

There's really no need to bring other things up, the thing is, whoever started it, they were all both at fault.

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Please, LeonHart is never really a pro-Chinese person.

And you're pretty defensive and it's lame of you to throw irrelevant insults at him, I see nothing rude or 'uneducated' in his post, it's just that your logic (and his, I have to say, his post was imo unfair and I know why you're upset) is flawed. Yeh pot calling kettle black so I don't see who started it first even matters.

I'm not defensive at all, why should I? I don't even watch those events. But his op was SO stupid :tape: He surely deserves to be excoriated for that.

And are you sure about Leon being not particularly pro Chinese? Look at his flag :lol:

pancake
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not defensive at all, why should I? I don't even watch those events. But his op was SO stupid :tape: He surely deserves to be excoriated for that.

And are you sure about Leon being not particularly pro Chinese? Look at his flag :lol:

I don't think he'd ever call himself Chinese, I think he calls himself Taiwanese iirc. But your post does say that you don't understand Taiwaneses well, coz not everyone of them will say they are Chinese, and the ones who don't normally don't have nice things to say about China, he's one of those people. In fact, I am almost 100% he'd tend to agree with your previous statement that most of the Chinese are rude and uneducated.

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
I don't think he'd ever call himself Chinese, I think he calls himself Taiwanese iirc. But your post does say that you don't understand Taiwaneses well, coz not everyone of them will say they are Chinese, and the ones who don't normally don't have nice things to say about China, he's one of those people. In fact, I am almost 100% he'd tend to agree with your previous statement that most of the Chinese are rude and uneducated.

I know very well Formosa's history, thank you :lol:

But him targeting ONLY Korea and NOT China speaks volumes, don't you think? :lol: Think about it ;) Why was he SO pressed to make that stupid remark, guess!! :lol:

Hey I thought he was a reasonable poster until now, but I guess he couldn't help but show his true colors. Wonder how old he is, too, to make such an asinine remark :lol: Well, I'm out of this thread, character assassination being finished, can't really care less :)

pancake
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
I know very well Formosa's history, thank you :lol:

But him targeting ONLY Korea and NOT China speaks volumes, don't you think? :lol: Think about it ;)

Trust me he's really not pro-Chinese, if Lin Lin happens to read this thread he will say the same thing lol.
I don't like the way he says about other nations, tho, I don't even think he ever said something nice about China, he used to start a lot of threads which were pretty much all about bad news of China. Maybe he just doesn't like Korea, either.

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Trust me he's really not pro-Chinese, if Lin Lin happens to read this thread he will say the same thing lol.
I don't like the way he says about other nations, tho, I don't even think he ever said something nice about China, he used to start a lot of threads which were pretty much all about bad news of China. Maybe he just doesn't like Korea, either.

yeah, well, whether he's pro-Chinese or not, I now know his intellectual level, so there :) You really don't need to defend him further :hug: I'm off :wavey:

eck
Aug 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Breaking news: Taoufik Makhloufi of Algeria has been excluded from the Games for not trying in today's 800m heat. This is a significant story as Makhloufi stormed to victory in the 1500m semi-finals and was a medal favourite, but will not be allowed to compete any further. Algeria failed to withdraw him from the 800m before yesterday's deadline and he was visibly not putting the effort in today. More on site soon...

Imperfect Angel
Aug 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
:spit: WTF...is this what London wants to be known for?:tape:

The Crow
Aug 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM
It's only natural. The only thing that the teams will have learned that they have to do it more clever in the future.

And it happens in soccer all the time: a team that is already certain of the next round usually plays their last match with a lesser team.

pov
Aug 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM
That's f**kin' insane!!! His lack of effort didn't give him any advantage in the 800m. When Bolt pulls up before the end that's also a lack of effort.

LUVMIRZA
Aug 6th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Reminds me of when Vika half-assed a meaningless round robin match at YEC and got booed in Istanbul.

Deliberately losing is deserving of a disqualification. It is basically match fixing.

Vika didnt have anything significantly consequential by loosing that match. It was an utter waste of a match when everybody knows she has been qualified for the semis and whom she will meet. But its not the case here in badminton, they were trying to get better draws by loosing:rolleyes:

Halardfan
Aug 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM
:spit: WTF...is this what London wants to be known for?:tape:

Do we know to what extent such decisions have anything to do with the organizers?

gentenaire
Aug 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM

I heard he might be allowed to run after all, and rightly so. It would be totally unfair to exclude him. If he's excluded, then Tony Martin and Christopher Froome should be stripped of their time trial medals since they both quit the road race to save energy.
It's not as people were denied a proper 800m run because he decided to quit. That's different from the badminton where people, who paid a lot of money to be there, were denied a proper match.

And while it's true that in football/soccer, teams that have already qualified will often use their B-team for the last match, the B-team still tries to win. It's different from trying to lose on purpose, like they did in badminton.

azdaja
Aug 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM
And while it's true that in football/soccer, teams that have already qualified will often use their B-team for the last match, the B-team still tries to win. It's different from trying to lose on purpose, like they did in badminton.
not necessarily. there are also situations where both teams need a draw in order to progress and agree to a non-aggression treaty. i saw that at the african chapnionship between angola and algeria a couple of years ago and the mother of them all was the game between germany and austria at the world cup in 1982. and frankly, it would be stupid to try to win a match that would put you in a more difficult position at a bigger stage.

so, just don't put people in a situation where it makes sense, where it's smart to lose and stupid to win.

eck
Aug 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Updated: He is allowed to race the 1500m, apparently he said he couldn't run properly because of an injury during the 800m. Let's see how he goes at the 1500m :o

azdaja
Aug 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
spanish basketball team lost to brazil 82:88 and now won't face the americans before the final. they probably lost deliberately but in a high scoring sport like basketball you can't really prove it.

The Crow
Aug 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Updated: He is allowed to race the 1500m, apparently he said he couldn't run properly because of an injury during the 800m. Let's see how he goes at the 1500m :o

:lol:

See, that's what they learn: how to bend the rules.

Sassy-Na
Aug 7th, 2012, 09:42 PM

A gold medal :cheer:

gentenaire
Aug 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM
The biggest controversy of all just happened now in hammer throw. Betty Heidler throws over 77m, which would have put her in silver medal position (probably bronze medal eventually), but the official measured it incorrectly. They couldn't remeasure it so they let her throw again instead. Of course, she failed to throw that far again. That was a clear medal, clear as nigh as day, that was robbed from her.

The Crow
Aug 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
That was bad indeed. Wouldn't want to be that umpire/measurer :o

But they should be able to give a good estimate of the distance from the tv video and replace her in the standings. Maybe hand out two bronze medals?

The Crow
Aug 10th, 2012, 08:33 PM
She has her bronze medal! Must suck for the Chinese though, who probably thought the bronze was hers :o

ivanban
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
As I said, worst Olympics since Atlanta

saul1333
Aug 10th, 2012, 10:36 PM
There has been at least 10 bad decisions in boxing.

Mary Cherry.
Aug 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM
She has her bronze medal! Must suck for the Chinese though, who probably thought the bronze was hers :o

They showed a brief clip of her running across the track with the Chinese flag draped around her :sobbing:

Sassy-Na
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM

She's pissed. :secret:

Would that German still appeal if she got the gold medal because of that extra attempt/chance? :o

Olórin
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
As I said, worst Olympics since Atlanta

The athletes don't seem to agree with you. :shrug:
But of course you're best placed to make those kinds of judgement tucked up nicely in the hub of international culture and sport in Serbia.

Vartan
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Did you not see that she was obviously distressed after her throw was not counted? She failed the next two throws. :o If her throw was counted in the first place, she could have went on to win a silver medal or even gold. Who knows?

Imperfect Angel
Aug 11th, 2012, 12:34 PM
But of course you're best placed to make those kinds of judgement tucked up nicely in the hub of international culture and sport in Serbia.

Because London Olympics provide sufficient condoms for them to have sex fests?:oh:

Valanga
Aug 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
They showed a brief clip of her running across the track with the Chinese flag draped around her :sobbing:

Oh dear :tape:

ivanban
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Which athletes? The one's who won medals?!

What's that supposed to mean? :rolleyes: If I'm located in Serbia that doesn't mean I can't read on internet news about Olympics.

BTW, our girl in taekwondo just won gold medal. Match ended around 11pm GMT :tape: Is that normal time for sport?! Also, many athletes who have rooms located near some venues that held very late matches reported they had very hard time at night because they couldn't sleep due to loud noise coming from those venues

Vartan
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Conspiracy!

KournikovaFan91
Aug 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Boxing has been terrible, but they probably won't bother addressing their shitty judging system.

saul1333
Aug 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Boxing has been terrible, but they probably won't bother addressing their shitty judging system.

They are switching to a 10 point must system. Wont help, we will probably see a lot of bogus 30-27 scores.

fantic
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Norway vs Korea women handball semifinal..I heard that the official was on Norway's side, what can you expect :tape:

olivero
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM
How on earth was Heidler able to do an extra throw and after she failed to make a long one they remeasured her "failed" throw. It's ridiculous.
They should've stop the competition and remeasure the proper throw instead of letting her repeat it :o

Imperfect Angel
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM
and they didn't even mark the throw after that though it's like still valid and they know they're having some malfunction with the system.:lol: Fail.