PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Fencing drama, Shin Lam cheated out of an olympic final!

DragonFlame
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:13 AM
OMG did you hear about this? :eek: rediculous! It's so sad! I would've refused the bronze medal match if i were her, i really would've.

5TQi_5wJkaE

South Korean fencer Shin Lam was in floods of tears at the ExCeL arena
tonight after arguably the biggest controversy of the Olympics so far.

The 25-year-old thought she was through to the final of the women's epee when, to her horror and that of her coach Shim Jaesung, the clock was reset from zero to one second.

And when the action resumed German Britta Heidemann, gold medallist four years ago, scored a do-or-die hit that appeared to have given her a place in the final against Ukraine's Yana Shemyakana.

The Korean coach furiously launched an appeal against the decision that had allowed the fight to continue and it was nearly half an hour before it was announced to the crowd - slow-handicapping by this stage - that Heidemann's win stood.

Shin broke down in tears for the second time and while her opponent celebrated she remained on the piste.

The crowd was then told she was doing that because a formal appeal was being considered and if she left the field of play it would be deemed an acceptance of defeat.

By then the bronze medal match should have started, but that faced a lengthy delay - as did the final to follow.

Shin only needed to draw the contest in sudden death because she had been given priority - that is, the onus was on Heidemann to score in the extra minute of sudden death.

The crowd could hardly believe their ears just before 7.40pm - nearly an hour after the incident - when they were told part of the rules was that the Koreans had to lodge money for the appeal to be valid.

Still Shin remained on the piste, bringing back memories of fellow Korean Byun Jong-il's sit-down strike during the boxing in Seoul in 1988.

The big difference was that Shin was an innocent in all this and just doing what she was told.

Just before 8pm an official came onto the piste to encourage Shin to leave, but she was not happy to go just yet.

Another official came on to assist as she dissolved into tears again. Now there were whistles and boos from the crowd as she was led off, although the decision had still not been announced.

As she was hugged by her coach the announcer asked for respect to be shown to the athletes and judges - and also a big round of applause for the world number 12 as she finally left.

The coach left as well, still clearly furious about an outcome that the fans had yet to be told about.

The final should have been staged by then, but the crowd was not able to see what happened next. The spectators had no idea what was going on back stage.

The final decision was that Shin had lost the semi-final and would be in the bronze medal match.

Amazingly it began a few minutes later, the Korean coach saying: "We will try to clam her down, even though she is to be extremely stressed".

Shin somehow summoned up the concentration to take an early 4-2 lead over world number one Sun Yujie - every hit being roared by her new-found fans.

With the last three-minute period to go it was 9-9, but Shin's agony became complete when Sun took the bronze 15-11 and she was left empty-handed from a night she and the audience will never forget.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article7987933.ece/BINARY/original/Shin-Lam.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/os/en/blogs/sptusolyexperts/South-Korean-fencer-Shin-A-Lam-Twitter.comTimMorehouse.jpg
http://images2-telegraaf.nl/multimedia/archive/01033/Shin_A_Lam__jpg_1033681q.jpg

Barktra
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:21 AM
This so sad :sad:

The committee should apologize to her

pierce85
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:22 AM
Preposterous, these Olympics are a disappointment in so many levels (refereeing,safety measures, attendance etc)

KournikovaFan91
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:26 AM
Does a Westerner ever get screwed by decisions like this, always seems those east the German-Polish border are the ones who get fucked over when this kinda shit happens.

Harry.
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:45 AM
Ridiculous. Saw this live and I felt so sad for Shin. I mean, you work you butt off four years to be denied by such a blatant officiating error. Disgusting. Poor thing. Experts say that at least 2.17 seconds passed before Heidemann got her last shot it. Just.. I mean this is the Olympic games. How can you make such an error. I just feel so badly for her, her commitment was amazing, to wait there for over and hour. Just sad. Really sad. I was hoping she would take the bronze but yeah.. wasn't to be. :sobbing:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:49 AM
despicable :o

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:01 AM
That's pretty rough :sad:.

pov
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:11 AM
Yeah that was some serious shite. Un-f***in-believable! IMO it also shows poor sportsmanship by the German fencer.

pov
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:18 AM
Shin held priority with :01 remaining on the clock in overtime of a tied match, meaning she would earn a berth into the gold medal final when the clock struck zero.

Both fencers took to the piste three times, registering three straight simultaneous touches without any time running off the clock.

On the forth instance, Heidemann registered a clean touch and the clock expired, giving her a berth into the finals.

Confused as to how the clock did not go from :01 to :00 any of the previous instances, Shin's coach ran over to the judge's table.

While the tip of a fencing blade is widely considered the second fastest moving object in sport, behind a marksman's bullet, in the match between Shin and Heidemann there were at least three separate actions while a single second remained on the clock.

Charlatan
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:21 AM
This is just absurd! Embarrassing performance from the referees and judges! Hope justice is served for her

LeonHart
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:22 AM
Karma for what they did to Yang Shu-Chun I'm sure.

cowsonice
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:24 AM
London is so shit to Korea, both North and South. :o WTF are these games. Such a disgrace.

But I think it's one thing to lose the bronze medal match and another to lose to fucking incompetence of the higher ups.

dybbuk
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:49 AM
Having watched it, I was actually expecting something more blatantly wrong. I watched it like three times and a couple times I used a stopwatch. Of course there may have been human error on my part, but it was 1.1 seconds for me from the moment it started. But I have to say, while I lean towards it being wrong, it is in the realm of being conceivably correct. When I read it I was seriously expecting it to have went a second over or something. I would definitely have appealed if I were her though and it may very well have been overturned.

All in all it sucks for her. She should actually also be mad at her coaches/team for not knowing the appeal rules. Japan in gymnastics today went right to the judges with the required money. It should have been her team's responsibility to have the money just in case and have tried giving it to the judges as soon as they asked for the appeal. At the very least though I don't think you can say this one is some conspiracy against the Koreans, because they couldn't have possibly fixed the clock when it the difference was literally a matter of tenths; and they were simply following the rules for the appeal procedure.

Halardfan
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:20 AM
London is so shit to Korea, both North and South. :o WTF are these games. Such a disgrace.

But I think it's one thing to lose the bronze medal match and another to lose to fucking incompetence of the higher ups.

It could have happened in any Olympic city...that is largely irrelevant. In fact the British crowd gave her huge support later. The main offical involved, I believe is Austrian.

I feel extremely sorry for the girl.

Morning Morgan
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:29 AM
The stupidest things is the technology is already there to prevent all controversies of this sort.

1) Millisecond clocks have been around since erm... 1970?
2) Established contact is electronic based, so the circuit should be cut the moment the clock hits zero. This will ensure all hits after the clock hits zero is not counted. Why they decoupled the contact circuit and the clock circuit is totally asinine.

PhilePhile
Jul 31st, 2012, 07:29 AM
No lodge money = no stage time = defeat accepted

http://web.orange.co.uk/images/ice/news/bskyb_image_fencer_1_400x240.jpg

olivero
Jul 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
It was a very dramatic fight. Unfortunately it seems the final result was according to the rules. Since 1 second is the smallest time unit in fencing if you manage to touch the opponent in less than a second the clock doesn't move forward. These rules are ridiculous but they are rules.
The most shocking thing is that at one point the clock was actaully showing 0:00 and they reset a second after that. Which is for me unbelievable considering the circumstances.

Poor Shin :hug: she fought so well in her Bronze medal match, the whole crowd was behind her but she lost in the end.

PhilePhile
Jul 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM
It was a very dramatic fight. Unfortunately it seems the final result was according to the rules. Since 1 second is the smallest time unit in fencing if you manage to touch the opponent in less than a second the clock doesn't move forward. These rules are ridiculous but they are rules.
The most shocking thing is that at one point the clock was actaully showing 0:00 and they reset a second after that. Which is for me unbelievable considering the circumstances.

Poor Shin :hug: she fought so well in her Bronze medal match, the whole crowd was behind her but she lost in the end.

And the problem did not end there. According to a comment under a breacherreport.com article ( Shin a Lam: Fencing Controversy Exposes Embarrassing Olympic Flaws (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1278593-shin-a-lam-fencing-controversy-exposes-embarrassing-olympic-flaws) ), ...

"Then of course, the last touch, it was pretty obvious the clock didn't start, for whatever reason. Heidemann made a compound (i.e. not single action direct) attack, which would definitely take more than 1 second to land. The rest is history." (nahc klhp)

pancake
Jul 31st, 2012, 08:55 AM
They actually played for 3 occasions in the 'last' second, somehow the clock always remained at 0:01 and only dropped to 0:00 after Heidemann had that final attack. While the last attack was certainly questionable, I think it's more of a point that they played a few times already in a single second which definitely would mean the second should be over at least twice or three times.

pancake
Jul 31st, 2012, 08:59 AM
A more clear version of what happened in the last 'second':
u2Iv3A9Q0_w

Nicolas
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:35 AM
What a shame....first German medal tastes sour and tainted

M.P
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM
good for her the German can't win the gold :oh:

King Halep
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
On the same night, there was a starting gun failure in the swimming at the same time, resulting in most of the swimmers having a slow start and the Lithuanian won because she had the best start. Rebecca Soni was cheated of her gold. In the mens gymnastics the jurges refused to give Japan his dismount and almost cheated him of a silver medal until they lodged a protest.

Monica_Rules
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM
So what happened the clock didn't change so the last score shouldn't have counted?

Mynarco
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM

That really has nothing to do with London, really. It just happens to be in London. It's more about the referee and the judges which are not solely British. The crowd was totally behind Shin last night

what?

Monica_Rules
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM

Yes the british clearly hate both Koreas :rolleyes: even though the events are run by the governing bodies

gentenaire
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
On the same night, there was a starting gun failure in the swimming at the same time, resulting in most of the swimmers having a slow start and the Lithuanian won because she had the best start. Rebecca Soni was cheated of her gold. In the mens gymnastics the jurges refused to give Japan his dismount and almost cheated him of a silver medal until they lodged a protest.

Ruta went into the final with the fast time. The conditions at the start were the same for everyone. Soni was not cheated of her gold. Ruta won it fair and square.

pancake
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM

Lol you consider that cheating in Soni's case...

pancake
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Ruta went into the final with the fast time. The conditions at the start were the same for everyone. Soni was not cheated of her gold. Ruta won it fair and square.
This. Soni wasn't the only one who was affected.

ClaudiaZ-S
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:16 PM
They actually played for 3 occasions in the 'last' second, somehow the clock always remained at 0:01 and only dropped to 0:00 after Heidemann had that final attack. While the last attack was certainly questionable, I think it's more of a point that they played a few times already in a single second which definitely would mean the second should be over at least twice or three times.

After the extra time, they would have played the sudden death. So, the german won... the case is over.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM
Poor girl:hug: But actually she should also do something to avoid that to happen if she didn't just stand/retreat to let the German opponent have the chance. It's just like in tennis, you should just hit the ball even though it seemed out, until you get confirmation that it's indeed out.

Tennis Fool
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:50 PM
I didn't know you have to pay $$$ to appeal decisions. How corrupt is that :help:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:53 PM

LOL no.

When does Soni EVER have a fast start in the 100m? She is known for just flopping into the water and starting way behind everyone else.

The only person you should feel sorry for is that other American Breeja. It was her first major competition and the gun error made her do the false start and mess with her race plan. Either way, she it was the Lithuanian's first championship too and she did very well to put all the stupidity at the start behind her to win the gold. She was the best swimmer in all three rounds.

Tennis Fool
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:59 PM
Yep, a Legos version of events!

rGuhplzXC8U

DragonFlame
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:01 PM
After the extra time, they would have played the sudden death. So, the german won... the case is over.

Nope, the korean had priority. She would've won had the clock/referee not failed on her. There's no way the german could've made that hit in that timeframe, not to mention that second was played 3 times over.

pov
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:21 PM
Nope, the korean had priority. She would've won had the clock/referee not failed on her. There's no way the german could've made that hit in that timeframe, not to mention that second was played 3 times over.
:yeah: Exactly!

miffedmax
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Does a Westerner ever get screwed by decisions like this, always seems those east the German-Polish border are the ones who get fucked over when this kinda shit happens.

It must have been a tough call then on whether to screw over the Japanese or the Ukrainians in gymnastics, as alluded to above.

Some of the blame has to go to the Korean fencing team for not being properly prepared to file their protest. Again, compare with the Japanese who were the model of efficiency in dealing with the gymnastics situation. A speedier conclusion would have certainly helped Shin, although we'll never know if she would have won the bronze with more time to mentally recover.

C. Drone
Jul 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah that was some serious shite. Un-f***in-believable! IMO it also shows poor sportsmanship by the German fencer.

Dont even go there.

fantic
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM
You didn't know? It's ALL about politics, Olympics. And not only this, Judo, Swimming..Korea is definitely THE sacrificial lamb :lol:

fantic
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM
It must have been a tough call then on whether to screw over the Japanese or the Ukrainians in gymnastics, as alluded to above.

Some of the blame has to go to the Korean fencing team for not being properly prepared to file their protest. Again, compare with the Japanese who were the model of efficiency in dealing with the gymnastics situation. A speedier conclusion would have certainly helped Shin, although we'll never know if she would have won the bronze with more time to mentally recover.

Korean coaches and the leaders are notorious for their inefficiency :sobbing: Of course the 'prime suspects' are those racist Western ruling bodies(and vide those twitter incidents...who says that the West is the most enlightened? :lol:), but Koreans are SO stupid...like a sacrificial lamb being lead to a slaughter :sobbing:

By the way, do you know that the Archery governmental body has changed the rule EVERY time to stop Koreans from dominating? And it's succeeding :cheer:

fantic
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:25 PM

:cuckoo:

fantic
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:34 PM
the drama is not over, the German media :help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter_Allgemeine_Zeitung

'has a slight centre-right or conservative bias'

no wonder :lol:

Sammo
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM
They suck

cowsonice
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Yes the british clearly hate both Koreas :rolleyes: even though the events are run by the governing bodies

I was referring to the London games.

Sent from my iPod touch using VS Free

miffedmax
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:28 PM
You didn't know? It's ALL about politics, Olympics. And not only this, Judo, Swimming..Korea is definitely THE sacrificial lamb :lol:

Poor consolation, I know... but Yang Hyo-jin is Bangs of the Day. :hug:

Michalka
Jul 31st, 2012, 07:15 PM
Poor girl, she was sobbing and just lost a chance to contend for a medal :awww: Now she has no medal :sobbing:

ivanban
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:41 PM
To tell the truth, after lamest opening ceremony of all time I didn't expect rest of the Olympics to be any better :tape: First there was very loud cheering during shooting competition which made it hard for contestants to concentrate properly, then the thing with disappearance of keys at Wimbledon complex, basketball matches being played at midnight, now this.....:help:

Milito22
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:57 PM
Heidemann :o

Halardfan
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:51 PM
To tell the truth, after lamest opening ceremony of all time I didn't expect rest of the Olympics to be any better :tape: First there was very loud cheering during shooting competition which made it hard for contestants to concentrate properly, then the thing with disappearance of keys at Wimbledon complex, basketball matches being played at midnight, now this.....:help:

Sigh...you're entitled to your opinion on the opening ceremony, but your view of it wasn't the prevalent one and certainly it had many positive reviews.

Again about the incident it's unfair to blame this on London...the officials are Olympic officials, the ref in question was Austrian...

Some people (not necessarily you) made their minds up that they would criticize the games no matter what. Certainly there have been problems and frustrations, but its not as negative as some suggest.

fantic
Aug 1st, 2012, 01:38 AM
Poor consolation, I know... but Yang Hyo-jin is Bangs of the Day. :hug:

I haven't actually watched any of the Korean matches, just read Korean blogs :lol:

KournikovaFan91
Aug 1st, 2012, 02:00 AM
Again about the incident it's unfair to blame this on London...the officials are Olympic officials, the ref in question was Austrian...

I know Germany and Austria are obviously completely different countries but I don't think a country massively culturally associated to one of the competitors over another should ref such a match.

Like I would also disagree with a Ukrainian refereeing a Russian vs a Bolivian or a Brit refereeing an Irish vs a Vietnamese etc.

Halardfan
Aug 1st, 2012, 04:26 AM
I know Germany and Austria are obviously completely different countries but I don't think a country massively culturally associated to one of the competitors over another should ref such a match.

Like I would also disagree with a Ukrainian refereeing a Russian vs a Bolivian or a Brit refereeing an Irish vs a Vietnamese etc.

I have some sympathy with that view...not that for a moment it was a factor here. Just that it can look bad in the event of trouble.

In regards to Olympic officials, like referees, judging panels etc...anyone know to what extent British organizers are involved in that? Are the judges simply supplied by the IOC? Or by the governing bodies of individual sports? Do the British organizers go out and recruit them? Anyone know?

Do host nations officials make up a large proportion of those used in the games? Or no more than usual?

Just I think it would help, when we judge to what extent one can lay the blame for bad officials at the hosts door...

shrOOf
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Shin Lam didn't complain that the last second was started for the third time :shrug: She should have done it before Heidemann hit her.

C. Drone
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM
She deserved to lose. I mean it was 1 second left and she couldnt even save her ass.

olivero
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Shin Lam didn't complain that the last second was started for the third time :shrug: She should have done it before Heidemann hit her.

right, complain just to lose her focud in the end. great idea!

She deserved to lose. I mean it was 1 second left and she couldnt even save her ass.

well it turned out it was more than 1 sec

Mynarco
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM

I agree with you here.

eck
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM

IKR, one second to strike the opponent. :rolleyes:

pierce85
Aug 1st, 2012, 10:01 AM

I like your opinions, very well put :worship:

fantic
Aug 1st, 2012, 02:30 PM

:facepalm:

Mynarco
Aug 1st, 2012, 05:57 PM
DEAD @ the association giving Shin some WFC "best sportsmandship award" :spit:

Wert.
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Shame on them seriously :o :o :o

Dont host such a big event if you dont know how to do it :o :o :o

Poor girl :awww: :hug:

olivero
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Shame on them seriously :o :o :o

Poor girl :awww: :hug:

it's not because of the hosts, it's because of the judges

Wert.
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hosts decided who will be judges, though, right? :rolls:

ivanban
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM

I'm sorry, but have you even watched the whole video :rolleyes:

Olórin
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM

I think given that we invented most of the sports we know how to run them.

Geez enough of the anti-London ranting in this thread. Enough of you peasants, just be grateful you are fortunate to play our sports and that your countries' teams have been invited to our wonderful city, the greatest in the world if ever there was one (imo having visited most major cities).

I'm sick of the ignorance. Her team didn't back her up and launch the appeal correctly. It's their fault. Don't we see these kind of unfair happenings in all sports, including tennis.

edificio
Aug 1st, 2012, 07:30 PM
They need to get a clock that shows beyond .01.

Wert.
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM
just be grateful you are fortunate to play our sports and that your countries' teams have been invited to our wonderful city.

:weirdo:

Wert.
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
Lam will be competing in team event on saturday :cheer:

ToopsTame
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM

Geez enough of the anti-London ranting in this thread. Enough of you peasants, just be grateful you are fortunate to play our sports and that your countries' teams have been invited to our wonderful city, the greatest in the world if ever there was one (imo having visited most major cities).

LOL, with that attitude I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like you guys. :oh:

pancake
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM

I'm sick of the ignorance. Her team didn't back her up and launch the appeal correctly. It's their fault. Don't we see these kind of unfair happenings in all sports, including tennis.

Reaaaaally?

Mynarco
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM

:lol: I really appreciate your humour.

Dav.
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:13 PM

:facepalm:

Halardfan
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hosts decided who will be judges, though, right? :rolls:

That's certainly not the case in Football, where FIFA appoint the officials...don't know about Fencing, do you?

C. Drone
Aug 1st, 2012, 10:23 PM
(obviously sarcasm not working here)
I'm sorry, but have you even watched the whole video :rolleyes:

I did. I thought the german was better and fought til the end. She was attacking, did more to win than her opponent. She deserves her medal. It wasnt her fault officials made mess. If korean would have been enough good to save the last attack, this whole thing wouldnt be more than a footnote.

ivanban
Aug 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM

I did. I thought the german was better and fought til the end. She was attacking, did more to win than her opponent. She deserves her medal. It wasnt her fault officials made mess. If korean would have been enough good to save the last attack, this whole thing wouldnt be more than a footnote.

Obviously German was better at the very end, but poor Korean girl was simply waiting forever for that 1 second to pass :sobbing: I mean you don't expect 1 second to last 5 seconds :tape: :tears:

skanky~skanketta
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:02 AM

There's no IFs in this. The Korean was cheated - plain and simple. If the German really was good enough, she would have won fairly.

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:47 AM
Is it true that the hockey association changed the grass to an artificial one to favor Europe and Australia? :tape:
Before that I heard India and Pakistan dominated with their superb technique.

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
DEAD @ the association giving Shin some WFC "best sportsmandship award" :spit:

The head of Korean athletics association, Park Yong-sung urged Shin to receive it, and moreover he ordered her to play the 3-4rd match even though Shin didn't want to play.

Fucking asshole :facepalm:

He was a member of IOC.

PhilePhile
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:57 AM
The last hit ( 3 moves) under a second ? Is that possible?

Some people are saying the last "engarde distance" was too close (a step too close) or Heidemann was just super fast ( or both).

Compare the seconds ticking away in the beginning of this video with that of the last engarde second @ 3:00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q0eHjGiRS9I#t=180s) ...

G7QENF5Uf7k

Mynarco
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
The head of Korean athletics association, Park Yong-sung urged Shin to receive it, and moreover he ordered her to play the 3-4rd match even though Shin didn't want to play.

Fucking asshole :facepalm:

He was a member of IOC.

I understood her why she needed to play it though. Kudos to her for gathering herself up not throwing this match away

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
I understood her why she needed to play it though. Kudos to her for gathering herself up not throwing this match away

I thought boycotting was best considering what happened :tape: and apparently she thought it too, and wasn't she too exhausted by that time?
I do hope she won't be blacklisted by the fencing intl body :lol: Apparently she feared that she will be blacklisted BY Park Yong-Sung :hug:

Korean netizens spammed the referee's facebook page :lol: Should've done it on the fencing body main page lol

Dunno why Korea even bothers to invest in fencing, it being a Western sport and their establishment obviously keen to guide their 'legacy' :tape:

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM

nice try, but fencing is not tennis :lol:

fantic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
FIE head Maxim Paramonov? is rumored to have threatened Shin to give her a black card and not allow her to play anymore so Shin had to step down :tape:

ivanban
Aug 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Watching women's triathlon now.....who's brilliant idea was to put gravel in curves?!? :o Girls are falling from bikes like crazy :sobbing:

Ashi
Aug 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Is it true that the hockey association changed the grass to an artificial one to favor Europe and Australia? :tape:
Before that I heard India and Pakistan dominated with their superb technique.
As an Indian it definitely looks that way.:rolleyes:

The subcontinental players were definitely more artistic rather than physical. You can still see some glimpse of it to this day.

My father says that once the playing surface changed,it was never the same anymore. More money was needed to build stadia(as if sport funding is not absymal already), not to mention that raw talent from the villages who practiced on grass was cut. New coaches were needed, playing styles needed adjustment.
I won't sound bitter, because I blame the sporting associations in our country. They are a personal fiefdom of a select few.

We need to roll with the times, but seeing India lose out on Olympic qualification & losing to random countries causes heartburn.:sad:

If you watch India play Pakistan now, it hints of a glorious past. Sometimes truly beautiful, but painfully heartbreaking.

fantic
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
As an Indian it definitely looks that way.:rolleyes:

The subcontinental players were definitely more artistic rather than physical. You can still see some glimpse of it to this day.

My father says that once the playing surface changed,it was never the same anymore. More money was needed to build stadia(as if sport funding is not absymal already), not to mention that raw talent from the villages who practiced on grass was cut. New coaches were needed, playing styles needed adjustment.
I won't sound bitter, because I blame the sporting associations in our country. They are a personal fiefdom of a select few.

We need to roll with the times, but seeing India lose out on Olympic qualification & losing to random countries causes heartburn.:sad:

If you watch India play Pakistan now, it hints of a glorious past. Sometimes truly beautiful, but painfully heartbreaking.

:hug: Field Hockey has truly deteriorated then, thanks to the rule change, which of course favors more physical game and therefore Westerns :rolleyes:

Now after the Shin incident, I heard that the ruling is more fair, and therefore Koreans got some medals, I heard they have superb technique such as footworks :worship: I also heard that the Korean players worked REALLY hard, so a deserved result.

And the Western Fencing Establishment would be mad :lol:

On a separate topic, I also heard that Korea won 3 of 4 Gold medals DESPITE the Western Archery Establishment's INCESSANT rule change to stop them from dominating :haha: Now I'm sure they will change the rule AGAIN, maybe they'll rule that a player should advance by firing just ONE shot (if you allow multiple shooting, of course can't beat Koreans so), or make them walk while shooting :lol:

Dav.
Aug 4th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Edit: She's playing for Gold today in the team event. :cheer:

fantic
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Edit: She's playing for Gold today in the team event. :cheer:

Shin? Team? I heard they beat #1 ranked Romania :eek:
Belatedly, it seems :devil:

Korean players say they prefer Savre, maybe because Koreans are famously hot tempered :oh: Korean's famous motto; 'Faster, Faster!' :lol:

I thought Fencing has origin in France? For example Korean players lived there like half a year. And top teams are Russia, Romania..perplexing :lol:

fantic
Aug 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Korean's usual training schedule

6-7am TRAINING

Breakfast

9-12 TRAINING

Lunch

2:30-5:30pm TRAINING

Dinner

8-9pm TRAINING

Goes to bed :hysteric:

The players said that haven't visited their home in 6 months :sobbing:

fantic
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Koreans are the best warriors, with weapons :lol:

Archery, Fencing, Shooting, you name it :lol:

Mynarco
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Koreans are the best warriors, with weapon :lol:

Archery, Fencing, Shooting, you name it :lol:

Are you Korean or Korean-American? How do the Koreans value their archery/fencing/taekwondo athletes? Would they get trashed if not winning Gold :lol:?

fantic
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Are you Korean or Korean-American? How do the Koreans value their archery/fencing/taekwondo athletes? Would they get trashed if not winning Gold :lol:?

South Korean, though living in Southern California now ;)

Value? Umm..Taekwondo is of course Korean, Archery we were dominant from..the 1970s? Fencing is a recent phenomenon.

So of course Taekwondo and Archery gets a lot of spotlights, but trashed if not winning Gold? Dunno :lol:

Anyway Archery, the National competition is rumored to be even more competitive than the World competitions :lol: Korean coaches really studied hard..that's why nowadays practically every top players (non-Koreans) have KOREAN coaches :lol:

And generally speaking, Korean women ALWAYS outperforms men :lol:

Wert.
Aug 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Im so happy now :inlove: It would be such a shame if Shin leaves London without her deserved medal. Im pretty sure they will grab that gold today too :)

Wert.
Aug 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
silver for Shin :D

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/04/article-2183615-14619E6E000005DC-877_468x305.jpg

Sammo
Aug 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Congrats!

DragonFlame
Aug 4th, 2012, 11:04 PM
silver for Shin :D

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/04/article-2183615-14619E6E000005DC-877_468x305.jpg

awww :awww: She deserves a gold.

Lord Choc Ice
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:18 AM
She medaled in the end :).