PDA

View Full Version : Football: Why Do European and South Americans Complain About Africans Physicality

tennisbum79
Jul 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I am have been watching some of the football matches, and consistently, commentators have been complaining about how physical the African players are?
The British commentators complain about Senegal
But it did not just start in these Olympics, I remember the the last couple of world cups, the same criticisms were leveled against Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria.
Now it even extends to the women of Cameroon.

There was a time when this sport was considered a MANLy sport....
On the playground, to kids who complain about hard challenges other would ask them go play volleyball( with no contacts) or other sports where players use their hands

I must say I have not heard this same criticism from US media, as they also play hard.
But I am surprised that it comes from Great Britain, which has a very physical game, and where many of the African players are stars in EPL.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 30th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Soccer has become ridiculous, you probably see way more contact during a volleyball match these days than European soccer.

Team GB women were also whining about New Zealand being physical at the world cup. :rolleyes:

tennisbum79
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Soccer has become ridiculous, you probably see way more contact during a volleyball match these days than European soccer.

Team GB women were also whining about New Zealand being physical at the world cup. :rolleyes:
I don't mind them trying to protect the stars, but this is being carried too far.

There was a time where strikers were physical specimen who could break tackles as long as the defenders go for the ball.

Rightnow, as soon as there is fall, 90% of the time a free kick is called.

There are picture/videos of years past where players played with bandage on their heads, arms in cast.
Of course, I am not longing for those times, I am just saying we have gone too far in the other direction... where the sport is almost neutered for lack of better word

The Witch-king
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:36 AM
the white devil will do/say anything to reassure his superiority over black people. Dont look for logic or reasoning in his words tennisbum for they will always be lacking.

Just listen to his complaints and treatment of immigrants in his country. Logic would tell you that if you have been clamoring to a place for centuries to pillage its resources, abuse its people and take advantage of its weather, then having the citizens of that place return the favor in the most minor way would hardly be a problem. But no this is not the case.

This is the level of hypocrisy with which his mind operates, so do not be surprised by what comes out of his mouth.

Halardfan
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:44 AM
the white devil will do/say anything to reassure his superiority over black people. Dont look for logic or reasoning in his words tennisbum for they will always be lacking.

Just listen to his complaints and treatment of immigrants in his country. Logic would tell you that if you have been clamoring to a place for centuries to pillage its resources, abuse its people and take advantage of its weather, then having the citizens of that place return the favor in the most minor way would hardly be a problem. But no this is not the case.

This is the level of hypocrisy with which his mind operates, so do not be surprised by what comes out of his mouth.

Are you any better the racists on the white side, with your use of the term white devil?

The Witch-king
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Yes.

tennisbum79
Jul 30th, 2012, 04:09 AM

I was not intending to take to discussion in the direction you are trying to to take it.

I know there are Europeans and South Americans who agree with the sentiment that football has become softer, and no longer the men game it used to be

Halardfan
Jul 30th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I was not intending to take to discussion in the direction you are trying to to take it.

I know there are Europeans and South Americans who agree with the sentiment that football has become softer, and no longer the men game it used to be

I didn't see the game in question so I can't comment on that game in particular. But as to your basic thrust, I think you have case to an extent. In the 70's the English game became dour, with many hatchet men taking out creative players, ruining careers. Change was necessary.

However there is a feeling that the protection of creative players has gone too far and that hard but fair challenges are under threat in the game. A great tackle is as much a part of the game as a visionary pass, or moment of skill.

The Witch-king
Jul 30th, 2012, 04:51 AM
you asked a loaded question and i gave my honest answer. Whatever direction you were trying to 'take' should have no bearing on the answers you get if this is going to be an enlightening discussion.

tennisbum79
Jul 30th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I didn't see the game in question so I can't comment on that game in particular. But as to your basic thrust, I think you have case to an extent. In the 70's the English game became dour, with many hatchet men taking out creative players, ruining careers. Change was necessary..

Well, as I mentioned, it is not just these Olympics, it is in the past 2 world cups as well.
Heavy criticism was levelled against Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Nigeria.

IHowever there is a feeling that the protection of creative players has gone too far and that hard but fair challenges are under threat in the game. A great tackle is as much a part of the game as a visionary pass, or moment of skill.

Where I originally come from, although we are more exposed to French football which favors more flair, we have always admired English football, because of its long passes that allow the traditional striker to fight for the ball in the air or on the ground.
It requires not only physical prowess, but also lot of creativity and improvisation and ability to stay on your feet by breaking tackles and challenges.

Rooney would be such a striker. Strong, eager, strong instinct to move forward between defenders and try to create something.
And Didier Drogba (borne in the same country as me ) , minus the dives, is another one.
We have a joke in Ivory Coast that if he had not grown up playing in Europe, he would not be diving as ,much. We think the Europeans made him soft:lol::lol:

Rooney and Drogba are strong physical specimen with tremendous ability to create their own opportunity with sheer will and determination
All that has been killed off with nanny referees.

Pele, who was not an imposing figure by any mean, was able to break tackles w/o falling down.

Halardfan
Jul 30th, 2012, 05:11 AM
As I mentioned, it is not just these Olympics, it is in the past 2 world cups as well.

Where I originally come from, although we are more exposed to French which favors more flair, we have always admired English football, because of its long passes that allow the traditional striker to fight for the ball in the air or on the ground.
It requires not only physical prowess, but also lot of creativity and improvisation and ability to stay on your feet by breaking tackles and challenges.

Rooney would be such a striker. Strong, eager, strong instinct to move forward between defenders and try to create something.
And Didier Drogba (borne in the same country as me ) , minus the dives, is another one.
We have a joke in Ivory Coast that if he had not grown up playing in Europe, he would not be diving as ,much. We think the Europeans made him soft:lol::lol:

Rooney and Drogba are strong physical specimen with tremendous ability to create their own opportunity with sheer will and termination
All that has been killed off with nanny referees.

Pele, who was not an imposing figure by any mean, was able to break tackles w/o falling down.

Somewhere there is a balance to be struck, I think the game became to hard in the 70's...and perhaps has become too soft now.

I cite Yaya Toure as an example of an almost complete player, he can tackle, go on dynamic runs, score goals. But as a City fan I'm biased!

Equally as a City fan I'm less convinced about Rooney! ;)

tennisbum79
Jul 30th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Somewhere there is a balance to be struck, I think the game became to hard in the 70's...and perhaps has become too soft now.

I cite Yaya Toure as an example of an almost complete player, he can tackle, go on dynamic runs, score goals. But as a City fan I'm biased!

Equally as a City fan I'm less convinced about Rooney! ;)
And yet, the same Yaya Toure will be called for hard challenges when he plays for my country of origin, Ivory Coast, where all of the players are professional in some the best European teams.

And I agree that it is time to put a moratorium on further protection measures for star players.
It is to stop this trend that has created physically weak players.

More about "traditional' striker.
They almost have a primal sense of a hunting, predator animal, always stalking their prey and ready to take advantage of the smallest mistake and exploit it to the maximum.
These types of players are NOT encouraged with the over reliance on possession football heavily based short passes, soft balls, with all with hyper sense of ball handling but limited ability to conclude those endless passes with decisiveness of a striker to shoot and be on target .

As times goes on w/o scoring despise keeping the ball this time, a possession based team w/o a striker can get frustrated and panic

Dominic
Jul 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Yes.

why :o

PhilePhile
Jul 30th, 2012, 06:52 AM
"The game against Nigeria was very physical"

Just bumps and bruises (Vs. non-Africans)? Highlights starting @ 1:30 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZAlPGoNt1c&feature=player_detailpage#t=89s) ...

vZAlPGoNt1c

The Witch-king
Jul 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM
why :o

I was kidding.

miffedmax
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Well, I didn't see the games, but a lot of times complaining about "physical" football is a nice way of saying they're taking cheap shots. (That charge gets thrown at a lot of CONCACAF and some of the Eastern European teams as well, not just African). It's the difference between coming in hard, and coming in late and hard, for example.

I'm not saying the charges are justified. I'm just say "physical" is often a loaded word.

tennisbum79
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:02 AM
"The game against Nigeria was very physical"

Just bumps and bruises (Vs. non-Africans)? Highlights starting @ 1:30 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZAlPGoNt1c&feature=player_detailpage#t=89s) ...

vZAlPGoNt1c
The highlight about the bump and bruises did not just include Nigeria, it included Brazil against Canada and other countries.

In fact, Brasil it is reported that Brasil prepared to play physical because they heard Canada is a physical team.

tennisbum79
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:14 AM
Well, I didn't see the games, but a lot of times complaining about "physical" football is a nice way of saying they're taking cheap shots. (That charge gets thrown at a lot of CONCACAF and some of the Eastern European teams as well, not just African). It's the difference between coming in hard, and coming in late and hard, for example.

I'm not saying the charges are justified. I'm just say "physical" is often a loaded word.
Right
Well, at the world Cup it is often thrown at African teams by European and South Americans.
Mind you, the majority of the Africans play all over Europe.

It is a contact sport, it is not volleyball.
The hyper focus on protecting stars has had the unintended consequence of players diving and physical players shy from using their physicality to go for the ball.

Nicolás89
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:26 AM

WTF is this!? :hysteric:

And since when are southamericans considered white?

Dominic
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:36 AM
I was kidding.

ok So you do think it's as bad but you still say it? correct?