PDA

View Full Version : Black wedding banned by Baptist church

JN
Jul 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Black wedding banned by Baptist church

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:53 PM EST By David Kenney

http://wlbt.images.worldnow.com/images/19125864_BG1.jpg

CRYSTAL SPRINGS, MS (WLBT) -

It was to be their big day, but a Jackson couple says the church where they were planning to wed turned them away because of their race.

Now, the couple wants answers, and the church's pastor is questioning the mindset of some of members of his congregation who caused the problem in the first place.

They had set the date and printed and mailed out all the invitations, but the day before wedding bells were to ring for Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson, they say they got some bad news from the pastor.

"The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church," said Charles Wilson.

The Wilsons were trying to get married at the predominantly white First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs -- a church they attend regularly, but are not members of.

"He had people in the sanctuary that were pitching a fit about us being a black couple," said Te'Andrea Wilson. "I didn't like it at all, because I wasn't brought up to be racist. I was brought up to love and care for everybody."

The church's pastor, Dr. Stan Weatherford, says he was taken by surprise by what he calls a small minority against the black marriage at the church.
"This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that," said Weatherford.

Weatherford went on and performed the wedding at a nearby church.

"I didn't want to have a controversy within the church, and I didn't want a controversy to affect the wedding of Charles and Te' Andrea. I wanted to make sure their wedding day was a special day," said Weatherford.

After months of planning, the newlyweds say they had no choice but to go through with the wedding at the new location, but they still can't understand why a church would ban their wedding because of race.

"I blame the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, I blame those members who knew and call themselves Christians and didn't stand up," said Charles Wilson.

Church officials say they welcome any race into their congregation. They now plan to hold internal meetings on how to move forward, should this situation occur again.

"I was prepared to go ahead and do the wedding here just like it was planned, and just like we agreed to," said Weatherford. "I was just looking for an opportunity to be able to address a need within our congregation and at the same time minister to them."

(Source and Video (http://www.wafb.com/story/19125864/black-wedding-banned-by-baptist-church))

Um, what? :confused:... This is 2012, right? :shrug:

Novichok
Jul 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Yep. But in 21st century America, many (most) churches and even governments ban marriages for no good reason at all.

JN
Jul 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Yep. But in 21st century America, many (most) churches and even governments ban marriages for no good reason at all.

This isn't about government - there are no laws on the books denying Blacks the right to marry... any longer - but instead about racists who call themselves Christian.

mykarma
Jul 28th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Black wedding banned by Baptist church

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:53 PM EST By David Kenney

http://wlbt.images.worldnow.com/images/19125864_BG1.jpg

CRYSTAL SPRINGS, MS (WLBT) -

It was to be their big day, but a Jackson couple says the church where they were planning to wed turned them away because of their race.

Now, the couple wants answers, and the church's pastor is questioning the mindset of some of members of his congregation who caused the problem in the first place.

They had set the date and printed and mailed out all the invitations, but the day before wedding bells were to ring for Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson, they say they got some bad news from the pastor.

"The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church," said Charles Wilson.

The Wilsons were trying to get married at the predominantly white First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs -- a church they attend regularly, but are not members of.

"He had people in the sanctuary that were pitching a fit about us being a black couple," said Te'Andrea Wilson. "I didn't like it at all, because I wasn't brought up to be racist. I was brought up to love and care for everybody."

The church's pastor, Dr. Stan Weatherford, says he was taken by surprise by what he calls a small minority against the black marriage at the church.
"This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that," said Weatherford.

Weatherford went on and performed the wedding at a nearby church.

"I didn't want to have a controversy within the church, and I didn't want a controversy to affect the wedding of Charles and Te' Andrea. I wanted to make sure their wedding day was a special day," said Weatherford.

After months of planning, the newlyweds say they had no choice but to go through with the wedding at the new location, but they still can't understand why a church would ban their wedding because of race.

"I blame the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, I blame those members who knew and call themselves Christians and didn't stand up," said Charles Wilson.

Church officials say they welcome any race into their congregation. They now plan to hold internal meetings on how to move forward, should this situation occur again.

"I was prepared to go ahead and do the wedding here just like it was planned, and just like we agreed to," said Weatherford. "I was just looking for an opportunity to be able to address a need within our congregation and at the same time minister to them."

(Source and Video (http://www.wafb.com/story/19125864/black-wedding-banned-by-baptist-church))

JN stop playing the race card on those good God fearing folks.

JN
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
JN stop playing the race card on those good God fearing folks.

If they weren't always dealing it to me, I couldn't play it. :mad:

Towanda
Jul 29th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I saw this on yahoo, and some of the comments were disgusting with people saying things like, "that pastor and everyone else in the church have the right to their opinions." Yes, people have the right to their opinions but that doesn't excuse using those opionions to discriminate. I'd rather people just admit their prejudices than to fall back on lame excuses like "I have a right to my opinion." It more than just an opinion when you are denying someone else their rights.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM
How pathetic. Isn't there a law against racism?

JN
Aug 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Miss. church apologizes for barring black couple's wedding - unbeknownst to bride, groom

By Jeff Amy, The Associated Press – 15 hrs ago

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/NV_LakR8XT.jafh8ber6Rw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MjU5Mjtjcj0xO2N3PTM4ODg7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTEyNztxPTg1O3c9MTkw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/5d3588426ce2e115160f6a7067008c9c.jpg (http://news.yahoo.com/photos/u-s--slideshow/charles-teandrea-wilson-speak-reporters-following-prayer-rally-photo-013203812.html;_ylt=Ar.VFemKYi3dC11vRLM8gVnyWed_;_ ylu=X3oDMTRrMTQ5a3NzBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIFJlbGF0ZWQgQ2 Fyb3VzZWwEcGtnAzJjNDlkZTk0LWVjYzYtMzk2MS04MzVhLTM5 ZWFhZTQ2NTM4MgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFBcnRpY2xlUmVsYX RlZENhcm91c2VsBHZlcgNiOGUzMWY5MC1kYWFmLTExZTEtYmZl Zi0xYWU4ODNjY2EzNTg-;_ylg=X3oDMTNoNmI0cWppBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDOGNiN2Q5NTItNzNkNi0zNDZhLWExOTUtN2Y2ZWM4Zj czNzIyBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxjYW5hZGEEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl BHRlc3QDR3Jhdml0eS1UZXN0;_ylv=3) Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson speak …

JACKSON, Miss. - A predominantly white Mississippi church has apologized for its refusal to allow a black couple to marry in its sanctuary, though the couple said Monday they knew nothing of the apology until a reporter called.

The First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs posted the apology on its website Sunday, saying it was seeking "forgiveness and reconciliation" with Charles Wilson and Te'Andrea Henderson Wilson, their families and friends and God.

"This wrong decision resulted in hurt and sadness for everyone. Both the pastor and those involved in the wedding location being changed have expressed their regrets and sorrow for their actions," reads part of the six-paragraph statement.

However, Charles Wilson said no one from the church had contacted him or his wife.

"I can't believe they think they've apologized," Wilson said. He said only one or two people from the church have contacted him in recent weeks, and they did so personally and not as representatives of the church.

"You put a thing in the media and say you've apologized?" Wilson asked. "That is an insult."

Church officials did not immediately respond to a phone call seeking further comment Monday.

The Wilsons had planned a marriage ceremony at the church July 21, but some members objected to the Rev. Stan Weatherford after the couple's rehearsal. The Wilsons have said that Weatherford, the pastor, told them he could be fired if the wedding was held in his church.

The couple's wedding was held in a predominantly black church, where Weatherford officiated.

Some church members have said that most of the hundreds of congregants didn't learn what had happened until well after the Wilsons' wedding.

Crystal Springs, a town of about 5,000 people about 20 miles south of Jackson, is more than 60 per cent black. The Wilsons live in Jackson but started attending church there because Weatherford has been a personal friend of Te'Andrea Wilson's family. Some members of her family have continued to attend church at First Baptist, though the Wilsons have not.

Town officials held a racial unity rally July 30, with Weatherford, Mayor Sally Garland and others praying for racial reconciliation. The Wilsons attended, but Weatherford and the Wilsons did not speak. Weatherford told reporters there he was trying to avoid conflict by moving the wedding and denied that his job had been threatened.

Southern Baptist leaders had called for the church to reconsider, noting that the Baptist Faith and Message, a statement of what Southern Baptists believe, says that "Christians should oppose racism." State and national leaders of the denomination, though, noted that each church is autonomous, and said the church had to work out its own response.

After being slow to reach out across racial lines, Southern Baptists have made increasing efforts in that direction in the past two decades. Nationwide, about 19 per cent of 45,000 Southern Baptist churches are majority-minority, including 3,500 that are majority black.

Earlier this year, the convention elected its first black president, the Rev. Fred Luter Jr. of Franklin Avenue Baptist Church in New Orleans. At the same meeting, delegates voted to give churches the option of calling themselves Great Commission Baptist churches, for those who wish to break free of the Southern Baptist name to seek more followers.

(Source (http://news.yahoo.com/miss-church-apologizes-barring-black-couples-wedding-unbeknownst-233716061.html))

Ryan
Aug 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I can't believe this shit is still allowed to happen. Church isn't apologizing because they feel bad, its probably to stem the hate mail they've been getting. :rolleyes: Do churches have licenses or something? If so, they should be stripped of it and not allowed to hold service for 1/2/5/10 years or whatever - ridiculous that this stuff still happens anywhere, let alone the "greatest country in the world".

Ryan
Aug 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Just commented on their Facebook post. :oh:

*JR*
Aug 7th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I can't believe this shit is still allowed to happen. Church isn't apologizing because they feel bad, its probably to stem the hate mail they've been getting. :rolleyes: Do churches have licenses or something? If so, they should be stripped of it and not allowed to hold service for 1/2/5/10 years or whatever - ridiculous that this stuff still happens anywhere, let alone the "greatest country in the world".

You completely misunderstand what a church is (and ought 2B, or not be). First, they shouldn't have the power to create any legal union (gay OR straight, IMO) only "sanctify" those they wish to. Nor should any house of worship be tax exempt for its religious activities, only for its charitable ones. All the US Constitution requires is government neutrality on religion, which my views above are more compatible with than the deeply flawed status quo.

In this case the couple has excellent grounds for a lawsuit, as they had done things like print wedding invitations, and then had to explain to those they'd invited that (although that church was physically intact) they'd been "disinvited". But otherwise (such as if a Pastor just said "no" when initially asked) who in the Hell would want to get married there? As I tell gay (Catholics, etc) go join a church that wants your business, and tell the discriminatory one to fuck off.

Vlover
Aug 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just ole southern, christian family values at work.:rolleyes: I'm sure this has nothing to do with race therefore nothing to see here folks, move along.;)

pov
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Weird. It would be understandable if it was an inter-ethnic marriage but I don't get why they'd have black members and then pitch a hissy fit about them getting married. :shrug:

JN
Aug 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Weird. It would be understandable if it was an inter-ethnic marriage but I don't get why they'd have black members and then pitch a hissy fit about them getting married. :shrug:

Of course you don't... it doesn't fit into your little black and white, on and off, 0s and 1s little narrative of life.

King Halep
Aug 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
^^Why would black members even go to that pretend church

JN
Aug 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
^^Why would black members even go to that pretend church

Who knows but them? People aren't always honest about who they are or how they feel, but it eventually comes out. Take Helen Lawson for example.