PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympics

Pages : [1] 2

Protoss
Jul 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Here's a thread to discuss this year's Olympics. Stuff about Caro should still be in the appropriate thread for her though.

Protoss
Jul 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM
My favorite event is probably swimming. I also like track, diving, and fencing.

Nbc will be airing some stuff on a tape delayed basis so they can have marquee events in primetime which is annoying.

Jimmie48
Jul 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I really care for none of the other sports there, especially as the football event has absolutely no importance.

The Olympics end with the tennis final for me I think.

Burisleif
Jul 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Bring back the Poetry and Live Etching events :lol:

Jimmie48
Jul 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Reading my Twitter I get the impression that none of the girls actually attend the opening ceremony :lol:

They don't attend the ceremony, they don't stay in the village, I really wonder what makes the Olympics that special according to some of them. Aside from an occasional visit the village this is sort of like any other bigger tournament.

Protoss
Jul 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I really care for none of the other sports there, especially as the football event has absolutely no importance.

The Olympics end with the tennis final for me I think.
It's not the world cup but surely there's some glory in winning an Olympic medal?

I don't care that much about Olympic tennis. I might watch the semis or finals depending upon the matchups and what other events are on.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'll try to see as much of the tennis as possible. Other than that I like track & field athletics and the gymnastics. But if I have the time I'll watch some of the other stuff as well. I like boxing, but not amateur boxing. The football shouldn't be part of the Olympics under it's current formula in my opinion. Either do ir properly with all the best players or don't do it at all. The womens football could be more interesting in fact, because for them it really is a big event.

TennisFan66
Jul 27th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'll try to see as much of the tennis as possible. Other than that I like track & field athletics and the gymnastics. But if I have the time I'll watch some of the other stuff as well. I like boxing, but not amateur boxing. The football shouldn't be part of the Olympics under it's current formula in my opinion. Either do ir properly with all the best players or don't do it at all. The womens football could be more interesting in fact, because for them it really is a big event.

Forgive me, but I have to ask ... do you watch that? ..

As for football, I'm with Jimmie. Waste of a watch. U23 + 3 oldies. *yawns*. I will watch tennis (for as long Caroline is in) and perhaps some women's handball. I have a thing for Trine Troelsen :lick:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 27th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Let's just say that it's not on my list of priorities. :lol: But I'm not a massive football fan to begin with. But IF I'll watch some Olympic football I'd rather see the women because for them it really means something while for the men it's virtually a non-event.

Jimmie48
Jul 27th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I have a thing for Trine Troelsen :lick:

Googled + approved :lol:

Protoss
Jul 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM

As for football, I'm with Jimmie. Waste of a watch. U23 + 3 oldies. *yawns*. I will watch tennis (for as long Caroline is in) and perhaps some women's handball. I have a thing for Trine Troelsen :lick:
What's the deal with those restrictions for men's soccer?

I don't think I've ever watched handball.

Jimmie48
Jul 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
What's the deal with those restrictions for men's soccer?

Without having any proof, I would guess they're in place to save face. Most European league teams are deep in their crucial season preparations right now, none of the popular players would turn up for the Olympics. So they lock them out to begin with.

That would be my guess.

Jorn
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Anybody saw Caro at the Walk-In?

One of my fave sports are Race walking. (Like tonight) ;)

Jimmie48
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Anybody saw Caro at the Walk-In?

Caro didn't attend the ceremony. Most of the players didn't, at least the ones who I follow. I looked for Vika in the Belarus team but didn't see her, she's one of the girls who could be there since she has no match tomorrow.

Jorn
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I saw Peer and doubles player Andrea H. CZE and her dubs partner.

But one said Caro would be there even none else playing tomorrow will walk-In...

Jorn
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Now Aga with the flag :)

Jimmie48
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:31 PM
And now Sharapova. Vika just tweeted, she isn't there either. I think the only top players there are the ones who bear the flags, all others seem to have skipped it.

Are there any other flag bearers aside from Radwanska and Sharapova? I don't think so.

Edit: I think I just saw Kerber, or another girl with a similar arrogant facial expression :lol:

Sabine skipped the ceremony for her dubs match with her tomorrow.

TennisFan66
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Googled + approved :lol:

Ha! Yes, Trine is rather cute and a bit of an alt girl, which doesn't detract at all imho, but my main interest is actually her play and mental strength.

Danish women's handball have had some quite lean years and Trine has carried the team on many occasions. Even when she hasn't played well, missed lots of shots, when it's 10 seconds before the end and they need a goal, she'll always step up and take the shot on. I find her whole attitude truly impressive.

After Caroline, I would love to see the handball girls win a medal, but it's unfortunately rather unlikely.

Jorn
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:44 PM
One of the best danish handball girls has got an injury and gone home :(

TennisFan66
Jul 27th, 2012, 11:49 PM
One of the best danish handball girls has got an injury and gone home :(

Yeah, it's a big blow. There really isn't anyone, who can replace Spellerberg in defense ...

Jimmie48
Jul 28th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I'm actually not surprised most of the players skipped the ceremony, those who didn't won't be home before 2 o'clock the earliest.

Really pissed about Kerber though, so much for team spirit.

CWTennis
Jul 28th, 2012, 01:12 AM
it was a great opening ceremony, I enjoyed it, the Queen looked bored though! :lol:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ug6qQOe01qgaw3ro1_500.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ufueY07o1rub9kyo1_500.jpg

Jimmie48
Jul 28th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I had a discussion about that on a German forum, apparently the Queen isn't supposed to smile or show enjoyment at these occasions, protocol asks her to look "dignified" and that's probably it.

Blu€
Jul 28th, 2012, 02:00 AM
:lol: I don't think protocol says she has to look like and old miserable cow. She always looks so cold and distant.

Burisleif
Jul 28th, 2012, 02:28 AM
:lol: I don't think protocol says she has to look like and old miserable cow. She always looks so cold and distant.

In person she isn't like that at all. She is engaging, humorous, fascinating and appears genuinely interested and receptive. :)

I think it might be part official obligation, part subject matter, and part duty.

bruce goose
Jul 28th, 2012, 05:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVZaTPcLK_A
Forgive me for re-posting this one that originally appeared in Caro's Music Videos Thread,but I just didn't see how we could have an Olympics thread without the official London Games theme song as performed by British icon Enoch Simpson.His stirring rendition of 'England!England!England!' doesn't begin until about the 8:30 mark or so;however,such classics are well worth the wait,wouldn't you all agree?You'll notice how the audience is transfixed with admiration at this musical masterpiece

Chrissie-fan
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I'm actually not surprised most of the players skipped the ceremony, those who didn't won't be home before 2 o'clock the earliest.

Really pissed about Kerber though, so much for team spirit.
All the German players except for Lisicki were there. ;)

DownInAHole
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Other than tennis the only thing I am interested in is the closing ceremony:
http://www.radiotimes.com/rt-service/image/render/Blur_to_receive_outstanding_contribution_gong_at_2 012_Brit_Awards.jpg?imageUrl=/uploads/images/original/3786.jpg&width=580&height=350&quality=85&mode=crop

DownInAHole
Jul 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Huh, Tomas Berdych did not last long. I don't think I ever saw Steve Darcis play before.

Protoss
Jul 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm surprised you're not interested in the women's beach volleyball. :p

What did you think of the opening ceremony?

DownInAHole
Jul 28th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised you're not interested in the women's beach volleyball. :p

What did you think of the opening ceremony?

Tall chicks freak me out.:scared:

Um, I didn't catch any of the opening ceremony.:zzz:

TennisFan66
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Now the Caro match is finished, am I allowed to show a little celebration for a great 21-18 win against Sweden in Women's Handball :) ... Target must be 3rd in group and then avoid Russia in the QF ..

Jimmie48
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM
You want to see what happens if two girls that clearly have disdain for each other are being forced to play dubs?

What the Lisicki/Kerber - Watson/Robson score... :facepalm:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM

They don't look so tall on television. ;)

No opening ceremony? I sat through hours of it just to see Radwanska and Sharapova carry the flags of Poland and Russia. And they both looked so beautiful! Makes you proud to be a tennis fan! :lol:

CWTennis
Jul 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM

meh, One Direction, Jesse J, Taio Cruz, Tinie Tempah...:o give me better Muse, Starsailor, Placebo, Coldplay, Snow Patrol!

sunsfuns
Jul 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Now the Caro match is finished, am I allowed to show a little celebration for a great 21-18 win against Sweden in Women's Handball :) ... Target must be 3rd in group and then avoid Russia in the QF ..

Is the Danish handball so diminished these days that that's all you can really hope for? :lol:

TennisFan66
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM
meh, One Direction, Jesse J, Taio Cruz, Tinie Tempah...:o give me better Muse, Starsailor, Placebo, Coldplay, Snow Patrol!

You are kidding me. Cowell go those muppets from One Direction booked for the closing ceremony? ... Christ, I guess Tweedy and Tulisa and the entire Towie cast is on alt stand-by ..

Is the Danish handball so diminished these days that that's all you can really hope for? :lol:

Well, the men just won the Euro, so they should be playing for medals, but on the women's side, I don't see the Danish girls winning against neither Russia nor Norway .. Actually, today's win against Sweden was quite unexpected. In a pre Olympic warm-up tournament just a few weeks ago, Sweden outclassed Denmark by 9 goals.

DownInAHole
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Maybe I am confused. It may not be the "proper" closing ceremonies I am referring to. I am talking about this:
http://c438342.r42.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/blur-olympics.jpg

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:35 AM
What a joke with all the empty seats today at Wimbledon...

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:52 AM

The Queen Looked to be realy enjoying the match... :)

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:09 AM
My favorite event is probably swimming. I also like track, diving, and fencing.

Nbc will be airing some stuff on a tape delayed basis so they can have marquee events in primetime which is annoying.

Some great fencing today. The 49ers will be good watching If they don't mess up the camera work. Handball is defo worth a look, as should be the Adlington friis Duel.

Today road race was good and sweet with revenge , so I'm looking forward to the second one and the track events.

Other than that, Badminton will be fearce, the rowing looks set for some good racing, white water events are always fun, and the team dressage is always a rewarding watch if you can dive quickly and deeply into the complexity of the event.

I'll probibly skip most of the athletics apart from the 800, 1500, pentathlon, decathlon, and maybe the pole vault.

TennisFan66
Jul 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Sold out to the public :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180222/Olympic-seating-Day-Games-sees-banks-seats-key-venues.htmlhttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/29/article-2180222-1444AC1C000005DC-798_964x300.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180222/Olympic-seating-Day-Games-sees-banks-seats-key-venues.htmland it's not just snippets of larger pictures with a large crowd. There were other pictures in the papers showing large areas empty.

Obviously we cannot judge from Caroline's match yesterday, as everyone knows, people will pay good money NOT to watch Caroline, but the rest of the venues aren't with her involved.

Looks like the ticket scandal at the London Olympics will rival that of World Cup 2010 ...

Just brilliant. They never learn ... and yes, I know it's the same at every large sporting event with thousand and thousand of tickets given to pundits, commentators and naturally all the VIP and sponsor tickets .. still, it's sad.

C. W. Fields
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Today's schedule.
http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/schedule/daily-schedule.aspx

Most interesting match: Aga - Goerges (12:00 at CC)
2nd most interesting match: Venus - Errani (2nd match on Court 1). Where's Venus at with her illness, is she a contender or will it be a Wimbledon repeat?

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM

And you're supposedly the pervert in chief. :rolleyes: :p

It was pretty good. I thought the one for the Vancouver games was better though.

I saw a commercial a few minutes ago for the upcoming movie Paranorman that was Olympic themed. There was this character from the movie doing a routine on the pommel horse with an actual Nbc gymnastics commentator commenting. I thought it was pretty funny.

Jimmie48
Jul 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Watched some Olympic highlights yesterday waiting for some coverage of the German dubs match and they showed some beach volleyball... and they were wearing long-sleeve clothes! That surely does violate the spirit of the sport somehow, dosen't it? :p

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Watched some Olympic highlights yesterday waiting for some coverage of the German dubs match and they showed some beach volleyball... and they were wearing long-sleeve clothes! That surely does violate the spirit of the sport somehow, dosen't it? :p
What was the temperature outside?

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
The much hyped Phelps-Lochte duel sure was a dud. :(

Jimmie48
Jul 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
What was the temperature outside?

I have no idea, it was just a short highlight snippet.

Julia up 3-1 against Radwanska! Would not have predicted that to be honest..

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I have no idea, it was just a short highlight snippet.

Julia up 3-1 against Radwanska! Would not have predicted that to be honest..
Ah. It was kind of cold for this match late in the day involving Misty May and Kerry Walsh. Both teams were wearing more clothes than typical particularly their opponents.

Yah, that's a surprising score. Maybe she thinks she's playing Caro. :p

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Woah. Goerges holds for 7-5 1st set at Ad Goerges from 40-0 to 40-40. The match is 43 minutes long.

Bad missed overhead by Goerges at 40-30 and a bad one by Aga at 40-40.

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Aga wins the 2nd set tiebreak 7-5 from 5-0 to 6-2. The match is 1 hour 33 minutes long.

Jimmie48
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Julia gave the TB away with that poor start, not sure she'll be getting as close to winning the match again..

Chrissie-fan
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
match is on eurosport.

Jimmie48
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Best match of the tournament so far, a real cracker.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Best match of the tournament so far, a real cracker.

yep

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Big hold by Goerges for 5-4 3rd set. She had 40-15 on her serve initially but had to save at least 1 break point (sound like anyone we know? :p)

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Wow. Goerges breaks for 6-4 3rd set at 40-15 from 30-0 to 30-15 on a 2nd serve return winner. She was down 3-1 3rd set. The match was 2 hours 16 minutes long.

Jimmie48
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Huge victory for Julia, almost completely ignored by the German TV of course :rolleyes:

Really didn't have her down to go past R1 with that draw.

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Huge victory for Julia, almost completely ignored by the German TV of course :rolleyes:

Really didn't have her down to go past R1 with that draw.
If a German woman should happen to medal in tennis, would the German media actually pay attention?

Jimmie48
Jul 29th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Maybe if nothing else is on. For some reasons German TV stations avoid tennis like the plague...after the huge hype in the early 90s, the love for tennis has changed into absolute disdain.

They didn't show most of Julia's match (including the MP) to show fencing and shooting (no idea what you call it correctly) instead, telling tennis fans they could watch the stream online. I'm quite sure that more people are into tennis than fencing but what do I know..

Maybe it's for the better, for the bits they showed the commentator was awful, you can tell these are all-around guys with no particular focus on tennis. All the German commentators with real inside knowledge of the WTA seem to work for Eurosport, I wonder what happens to them if Eurosport loses the WTA next year..

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hogh-Christensen pipping Ainslie in the first two runs in the Finn Class :worship:

Just in case people are unaware, Ainslie is trying to equal Denmark's Paul Elvstrom's 4 Gold's at separate Olympics and Hogh-Christensen is the one looking likely to stop that. :)

Protoss
Jul 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hogh-Christensen pipping Ainslie in the first two runs in the Finn Class :worship:

Just in case people are unaware, Ainslie is trying to equal Denmark's Paul Elvstrom's 4 Gold's at separate Olympics and Hogh-Christensen is the one looking likely to stop that. :)
What sport is this?

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM
What sport is this?

Finn Class Sailing.

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Brave effort by the GB mens handball team loosing to france. It's GB's first major tournament ever. 44-15

Now it;s the turn of the Danes to play. :)

TennisFan66
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Just seen the result of France - Team GB in men's handball ... I think Eddie The Eagle has landed ... and he is now playing handball :lol:

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Just seen the result of France - Team GB in men's handball ... I think Eddie The Eagle has landed ... and he is now playing handball :lol:

They were playing with 5 due to an early red, and vs the world champs... So not that bad for a first time at this level?

TennisFan66
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
They were playing with 5 due to an early red, and vs the world champs... So not that bad for a first time at this level?

Sure France is good, but 44 -15 ... if we should translate that to a football match, we're talking .... 17-0 or something.

I didn't know about the early red. What happened?

From the 'play by play', it just says 'LARSSON Steven (GBR) is disqualified! .. at the time, 7 min into 2nd half (so it's not really that early), France was leading 26 - 9 :lol:

I fully understand the home nation is allowed to participate in all events, but maybe this was one, where Team GB should have elected not to play and allowed another national to be incl.

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Sure France is good, but 44 -15 ... if we should translate that to a football match, we're talking .... 17-0 or something.

Contravercial red to Larsson GB's Best player.

17-0 in football reminds me of Denmark vs France at the olympics :) We got silver that year :)

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:59 PM

From the 'play by play', it just says 'LARSSON Steven (GBR) is disqualified! .. at the time, 7 min into 2nd half (so it's not really that early), France was leading 26 - 9 :lol:

I fully understand the home nation is allowed to participate in all events, but maybe this was one, where Team GB should have elected not to play and allowed another national to be incl.

Nah, I think it's great that GB put up a team... It's a sport with zero following in the uk, and it's a damn sight more entertaing sport that yankietallball. :)

TennisFan66
Jul 29th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Nah, I think it's great that GB put up a team... It's a sport with zero following in the uk, and it's a damn sight more entertaing sport that yankietallball. :)

You got 2 groups with 6 teams, incl nations like Argentina, Tunisia, Great Britain .. (Korea only lost with 10 to Croatia).

With teams like Poland, Germany, Norway, Russia .. just to mention a few, left out for those above ... :rolleyes:

Olympic spirit and all, but that's ridiculous imho and devalues an Olympic gold medal vis-a-vis winning the European or World Championships.

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM
You got 2 groups with 6 teams, incl nations like Argentina, Tunisia, Great Britain .. (Korea only lost with 10 to Croatia).

With teams like Poland, Germany, Norway, Russia .. just to mention a few, left out for those above ... :rolleyes:

Olympic spirit and all, but that's ridiculous imho and devalues an Olympic gold medal vis-a-vis winning the European or World Championships.

Your point is a good one, except you forget that this isn't the worlds, it's the olympics.

A prominent aim of the Olympics is to spread and evolve sport both in the world and host nation. So if the participation sparks interest in Handball in the UK thats the goal.

It's not about the best teams, it's suposed to be about coming together.

Sacrificing a sport in the football might have been a sporting option?

Burisleif
Jul 29th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Wilbaek to Søndrgaard, shut up and say yes :lol:

Entertaining match and nice win for Denmark.

Frede in the croud. :)

TennisFan66
Jul 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Contravercial red to Larsson GB's Best player.

17-0 in football reminds me of Denmark vs France at the olympics :) We got silver that year :)

I just read the match report and calling it 'controversial' is a bit of an understatement. God, it's poor sportsmanship from the French. And against Team GB (not that it matters of course).

But you'll like with your 'bring people together and it's not about winning' view ;) that the conned ref was from the handball super power of Qatar ... Yes, I'm sure they have a brilliant league down there, so he'll have lots of big match experience.

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:09 AM
:lol:
Didn't a few scandis that failed to make the team already switch to GB? Must be a few players out the prepared to accept money to become Quataries for a year or two?

bruce goose
Jul 30th, 2012, 02:46 AM
A few comments about some slightly less-marquis Olympic sports....Cycling,Sailing and Rowing all seem to be excellent sports to DO yet don't necessarily always translate well to TV for spectators...though,in the cases of cycling and rowing,sprints are enjoyable enough.If one could somehow hover over the cycles or boats and maintain the pace with the competitors,then it'd be awesome viewing...and cycling can be lots of fun as recreation or exercise

Am impressed with the precision required for a perfect dive but the sport is quite slow-moving for TV...it makes baseball appear rapid-moving by comparison

At the risk of offending female posters,the male European and S.American futbollers are more woman-ly than the female participants...and I'm NOT insinuating that the gals are masculine(though there are individual exceptions,of course)...I'm simply stating that it's hard to distinguish behavioral traits between ostensibly-male futbollers and menstruating teenage girls...the insufferable whining...the apparent physical frailty with all the 'field diving'...and the laughable slap-fighting amongst players who are terrified of getting hit in the face...even by other sissies.Generally,it's harder to watch a sport when you despise the competitors:lol:.In contrast,the gals don't whine or field dive NEARLY as much based on my experiences as a spectator...plus they're less egotistical so cordial teamwork comes more naturally to them

Team Handball really impresses me a lot but it's probably more difficult for me to get into because the countries in my region(North America) so totally suck donkeys' balls at that sport:lol:;therefore,there's no tradition for me,no strong identification with the sport.If I had a friend who was a devotee and watched it frequently,then I'd very likely become a huge fan.The women often look well sculpted with feminine muscle,and that's another potential source of magnetism:p...in the same way that women's volleyball,both indoor and beach(though especially the latter),is an automatic highlight for Latino males;)

Fantasy Hero
Jul 30th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Italy stay top 3 in the medal tebles after 2 days is so crazy :sobbing: I know that we are good only at whoring useless events, and that we won´t win any important medal and we will do great if we can doubles the medals we already got, but until it lasts I take that :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Italy stay top 3 in the medal tebles after 2 days is so crazy :sobbing: I know that we are good only at whoring useless events, and that we won´t win any important medal and we will do great if we can doubles the medals we already got, but until it lasts I take that :lol:
There's no such thing as a useless event. If you're the best in the world at dwarf throwing that's an incredible achievement. And if anyone disagrees they are always free to pick up a dwarf themselves and prove their point by throwing it further than the Italians did. ;)

C. W. Fields
Jul 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM
How on earth could DR1 cut off the live transmission of an exciting badminton mixed doubles match (at 14-12 in the decider) just to show some preliminary chit-chat before the Denmark - South Korea handball match!?
Fischer/Pedersen ended up winning the BMD match 21-17 in the decider, btw.

TennisFan66
Jul 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
FOK that ... a few minutes of soft play in middle of 2nd half was enough to lose that match :(

*curses loud* ... Handball (W) Korea - Denmark 25 - 24 ..

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
There's no such thing as a useless event. If you're the best in the world at dwarf throwing that's an incredible achievement. And if anyone disagrees they are always free to pick up a dwarf themselves and prove their point by throwing it further than the Italians did. ;)

I think there is a strong case to replace synchronised swimming with dwarf throwing.

Protoss
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I watched a bit of canoeing/kayaking yesterday. It seemed interesting.

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
49er Action delivered as promised, despite the TV producer seeming to want to show the battle for mediocrity involving team GB rather than the leaders. Denmark scored a fine 2 and 4 thus leading the class with 6 on day one. Sweden second with a 5 and 3 and the favourites Australia 3rd with an 8 and 1.

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
The battle to preserve Paul Elvstrøm's tittle as greatest sailor ever continues in 5 mins in the Finn Class

Chrissie-fan
Jul 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I think there is a strong case to replace synchronised swimming with dwarf throwing.
:lol: Well, even though I don't like watching it, I have no doubts that synchronised swimming actually requires a lot of skill (not that I mean to say that dwarf throwing doesn't ;)).

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 02:17 PM
:lol: Well, even though I don't like watching it, I have no doubts that synchronised swimming actually requires a lot of skill (not that I mean to say that dwarf throwing doesn't ;)).

Dwarf throwing, would have its roots in pig tossing, which is a sport that has been around for over two thousand years. :)

Sequins and twirls and fake smiles vs 2 millennia...

It's a hard one to call. :lol:

Pig tossing actually has huge element of skill too BTW. The score depends both on distance, but also on how the pig lands.

Typical of the BBC they ignore one of the most significant battles in Olympic History and choose not to broadcast it on the air, focusing instead on Tennis, Horses, and steroid pumping. :)

Chrissie-fan
Jul 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Pig tossing actually has huge element of skill too BTW. The score depends both on distance, but also on how the pig lands.

Yes, I always find that the artistry of a pig throw is just as important as the distance myself. ;)

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yes, I always find that the artistry of a pig throw is just as important as the distance myself. ;)

:) I kid you not, It is an actual sport... Getting the pig to land on its head is no easy task when the pig is always trying to right itself.

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hogh-Christensen grabs a 2nd in race 3 behind NZ, and despite harassing the dane up to the first mark Ben Ainslie not making good on the upwind legs slipped to 6th.

After race 3 HC leads on 4 points to BA's 10 points :)

bruce goose
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Yes, I always find that the artistry of a pig throw is just as important as the distance myself. ;)This might be the kiss of death coming from ME,but I really like the direction of this thread:lol:.Though I'd love it to,I don't think that roach killing would catch on as a spectator sport;however,there IS some serious potential for fly-swatting b/c of the quickness and co-ordination required.It'd be an easy sport to set up....organizers would merely need to leave out some rotting beef and then wait for the aerial pests to come

On a more legit sporting note,I'd appreciate any solid,informative links on the history of team handball as I'll probably start watching it whenever I get an illegal,pirate dish

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure there are lots of ways you could use roaches in sport for the olympics... Roach plus darts or spittle come to mind, or what about roach archery?

4th Race in series, 2nd and last of the day, is about to start in the Finn Class. :)

HC picked up a penalty at the start for ramming the comity boat :(

Burisleif
Jul 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Tapio Nirkko FIN led the race on the 3rd leg only to capsize at the mark. Spain also showing well in 2nd capsize on leg 4.

HC coming from 24th at the start, made up 7 places on leg 3 alone to reach 12th, making further gains on the 4th leg tacking in front of BA to steal 8th from him and yet another tack in front of BA to push him off line and climbing to 7th by the mark, holding it to the finish, capping a truly monumental performance. :worship:

At the front Sweden, France, and Slovenia battled it out finishing in that order. Tapio Nirkko came in 6th despite his underwater adventures. Spain never recovered from their capsize finishing 23rd, and BA rolled in in 12th looking flustered, and letting Jonathan Lobert of France sneak into the Silver position.

HC 1+1+2+7 (11)
JL 9+4+4+2 (19)
BA 2+2+6+12 (22)

TennisFan66
Jul 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I was just reading about this Chinese 16 year old swimming sensation, Ye Shiwan .. It's a shame they cannot stop such blatant doped up athletes. In the 400 meters individual medley, she sprinted the last 2 length free faster than Phelps' and Lochte's times from the men's final. Seriously. A 16 year old girl.

Truly the new East Germany ... (quite a few swimming coaches actually did move from East Germany to China after the Berlin wall fell).

Edit : Just found a little more about this Chinese. She also improved her personal best by .... hang on .... *drum roll* ... 5 seconds :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180784/Olympics-2012-Clare-Balding-questions-Chinas-girl-torpedo-Ye-Shiwens-400m-swimming-triumph.html

bruce goose
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:28 AM
It's so blatantly absurd and obviously fraudulent that no one with a brain will grant that performance any legitimacy...not even the PRC mamadores from the US State Department:lol:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
It's so blatantly absurd and obviously fraudulent that no one with a brain will grant that performance any legitimacy...not even the PRC mamadores from the US State Department:lol:
True....but again, it never ceizes to amaze me that as soon as something like this happens with a Chinese athlete everyone is on her case. But how about Michael Johnson? How about Usain Bolt? Those guys bettered world records by huge margins just the same. Everyone goes, "wow! amazing!" But can you imagine what the reaction would have been if those guys had come from China?

I remember the derogatory comments at the BBC about marathon runner Wang Junxia in the 90's when she used to destroy the field. Her best marathon time was 2.24 if I remember correctly, which at the time was indeed remarkable. But guess what? In 2002 their own (thus British) Paula Radcliffe ran the marathon in 2.15 - an unbelievable nine minutes (!!!!!) faster than Wang Junxia. Yet than there were no questions asked. Than it was all, "wow Paula - what an athlete!" - and by the exact same commentators at that.

In short, even though I'm as suspicious about the Chinese as the next guy, I'm even more disturbed by the hypocrisy of the pundits who are quick to point the finger when it comes to athletes from regions that are not to their liking but turn a blind eye to the exploits of those that come from more friendly shores.

TennisFan66
Jul 31st, 2012, 08:37 AM
True....but again, it never ceizes to amaze me that as soon as something like this happens with a Chinese athlete everyone is on her case. But how about Michael Johnson? How about Usain Bolt? Those guys bettered world records by huge margins just the same. Everyone goes, "wow! amazing!" But can you imagine what the reaction would have been if those guys had come from China?

I remember the derogatory comments at the BBC about marathon runner Wang Junxia in the 90's when she used to destroy the field. Her best marathon time was 2.24 if I remember correctly, which at the time was indeed remarkable. But guess what? In 2002 their own (thus British) Paula Radcliffe ran the marathon in 2.15 - an unbelievable nine minutes (!!!!!) faster than Wang Junxia. Yet than there were no questions asked. Than it was all, "wow Paula - what an athlete!" - and by the exact same commentators at that.

In short, even though I'm as suspicious about the Chinese as the next guy, I'm even more disturbed by the hypocrisy of the pundits who are quick to point the finger when it comes to athletes from regions that are not to their liking but turn a blind eye to the exploits of those that come from more friendly shores.

I don't know about Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt, but I do remember Florence Griffith Joyner from the '88 games ... :tape: ... but even Bolt broke the world record with a good margin, he didn't suddenly improve his personal best from 11,2 to 9,6 .. and neither did Florence actually run faster than the men.

Speaking about old times, I remember comments from back in the '90s from the Perth, from some of the Danish swimmers. They said something along the lines :

Well, we did use to speak to the Chinese swimmers, but now they very much keep to themselves. But when we do speak to them, their voices have become so deep and some of them have grown a mustache. They also have East German coaches now ..

Honest to God, I'm not making it up. These comments just stuck with me. It was of course also later found out that a large number of the Chinese swimmers at the Perth games, were doped up to over their ears.

With 40 odd medals at stake, nations like China and before them, East Germany, are very eager to perform well in these disciplines. 'Gold for the system'.

Edit : From BBC article dated today :

"But Ye Shiwen denied the allegations, telling reporters: "My results come from hard work and training and I would never use any banned drugs. The Chinese people have clean hands." " ..

I love the 'Chinese people have clean hands' comment. They've been exposed as drugs cheaters on numerous occasions over the last 20 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19058712

C. W. Fields
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:11 AM
I wonder what 10 yo Federer was doing at the 1992 Olympics!?

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
I don't know about Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt, but I do remember Florence Griffith Joyner from the '88 games ... :tape: ... but even Bolt broke the world record with a good margin, he didn't suddenly improve his personal best from 11,2 to 9,6 .. and neither did Florence actually run faster than the men.

Speaking about old times, I remember comments from back in the '90s from the Perth, from some of the Danish swimmers. They said something along the lines :

Well, we did use to speak to the Chinese swimmers, but now they very much keep to themselves. But when we do speak to them, their voices have become so deep and some of them have grown a mustache. They also have East German coaches now ..

Honest to God, I'm not making it up. These comments just stuck with me. It was of course also later found out that a large number of the Chinese swimmers at the Perth games, were doped up to over their ears.

With 40 odd medals at stake, nations like China and before them, East Germany, are very eager to perform well in these disciplines. 'Gold for the system'.

Edit : From BBC article dated today :

"But Ye Shiwen denied the allegations, telling reporters: "My results come from hard work and training and I would never use any banned drugs. The Chinese people have clean hands." " ..

I love the 'Chinese people have clean hands' comment. They've been exposed as drugs cheaters on numerous occasions over the last 20 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19058712
I'm 99.9% sure that Ye Shiwen is a drug cheat, but as long as she isn't caught she deserves the benefit of whatever little doubt there is, just like an athlete from any other country would.

BTW - Florence Griffith had been around for years as a top sprinter before the '88 games. She always was someone who was second or third best. Than all of a sudden and in a matter of months she started running much faster than any woman had ever done before. To make such huge progress at her age is even more suspicious than the progress Yu Shiwen is making as a teenager.

Again - I'm not saying that Ye Shiwen is innocent (I'm not that naive), but the hypocrisy when it comes to doping is mind boggling.

TennisFan66
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:45 AM
Out of curiousity, where do you see the hypocrisy? .. You cannot exactly blame the USADA for being lenient on their own athletes. If you do, ask a Mr Armstrong how he feels ;) ..

The fact of the matter is, it is a constant race between the medical profession and drugs testers. A game of hide and seek. Literally. Be it in swimming or say .. cycling.

And of course it's not only China using performance enhancing drugs, but perhaps, in totalitarian regimes like China and ex East Germany, it easier becomes a natural part of 'the system'. With an open and free press and thousands of bloggers in the Western world, it's one hard topic to hide.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Out of curiousity, where do you see the hypocrisy? ..

In the media. Someone from China does something unbelievable = drug cheat. Someone from the west does something amazing = wow, brilliant.

Why did they say about Wang Junxia when she ran a marathon in 2.24 that such a result could only come about because of doping, yet when Radcliffe ran a marathon some years later in 2.15 (nine minutes faster. NINE MINuTES FASTER!!!) it's only because she's this amazing athlete? And I'm not accusing Radcliffe here. But since Wang Junxia has never been caught she deserves the benefit of the doubt just as much as her.

TennisFan66
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
In the media. Someone from China does something unbelievable = drug cheat. Someone from the west does something amazing = wow, brilliant.

Why did they say about Wang Junxia when she ran a marathon in 2.24 that such a result could only come about because of doping, yet when Radcliffe ran a marathon some years later in 2.15 (nine minutes faster. NINE MINuTES FASTER!!!) it's only because she's this amazing athlete? And I'm not accusing Radcliffe here. But since Wang Junxia has never been caught she deserves the benefit of the doubt just as much as her.

Being caught (testing positive) and using performance enhancing drugs, are two completely different things ;) That's why there is a race between the medical industry and the drugs testers. Armstrong has never tested positive, yet the likely outcome of the USADA inquiry is, he'll be stripped of all 7 TdF yellow jerseys.

Bjarne Riis, Dane who won the '96 TdF, has never tested positive. Yet he was always known as 'Magic 60' (with reference to his hemoglobin level). He and other cyclists, like Indurain, had heart rates of around 30 when resting, and their blood was so thick, they'd have to get up regularly in the middle of the night to exercise .. If not, they would simply drop dead.

No-one in the West has any doubt that something wasn't quite right here and they have been targetted, hounded if you prefer, by Western media ever since they won.

Griffith Joyner was hounded by world and US press from the moment, she ran 10.7 in the 100 meters (and she won the 200m in ... was it like 21.4?).

Michelle Smith from the Atlanta games was always viewed by pundits as being 'too good'. And whattayouknow, 2 years later she failed a drugs test.

I really do not see any double standards here. If a Western athlete's performance is 'too good to be true', it will be viewed as exactly that. Drugs enhancing. How many times during this years TdF didn't Wiggins, Froome and Team Sky have to defend themselves against doping allegations?

They are not from China ;)

On the contrary actually - imho -, the West lacks the balls to call out China for the copyright infringing, law breaking, human rights violating country it is. Instead we tip-toe around them, afraid to speak the truth.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM
Being caught (testing positive) and using performance enhancing drugs, are two completely different things ;) That's why there is a race between the medical industry and the drugs testers.
Yes, but I agree with all that. If taking PED would automatically mean that you get caught nobody would ever take them. I'm convinced that like I said the other day, "if we knew everything that goes on behind the scenes concerning PED we would never watch sports again." And I've read the articles and seen the disturbing television documentaries about state sponsored use of doping in the Sovjet Union, China and the DDR. I know about the child abuse associated with turning 13 or 14 year old girls into top gymnasts. But I also know that the west and especially the US historically have won just as many medals as those countries. That means that they are either supermen/women who are able to perform as well without PED as the 'evil' countries who's athletes are up to their necks with PED - or else that they are just as guilty as everyone else. Maybe in their case it's not state sponsored, but the results are just the same.

bruce goose
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM

Why did they say about Wang Junxia when she ran a marathon in 2.24 that such a result could only come about because of doping, yet when Radcliffe ran a marathon some years later in 2.15 (nine minutes faster. NINE MINuTES FASTER!!!) it's only because she's this amazing athlete? And I'm not accusing Radcliffe here. But since Wang Junxia has never been caught she deserves the benefit of the doubt just as much as her.Am inclined to agree more with TennisFan on this one,though aye WILL agree with you on the professional incompetence of many media members who are little better than immature collegiate ideologues who were brainwashed by a charismatic professor.Sports journalists--Matt Cronin being a textbook example--are often as useless as teats on a bull:lol:.

'Benefit of the doubt' is a little generous in some of the cases we've discussed,though;I think that the best those athletes can hope for is something like: 'Well,(so-and-so)understandably raised a lot of reasonable suspicion with his/her performance(s) but,so far,he/she hasn't actually been found guilty of drug abuse.' If I were a sponsor,I'd be more careful about choosing a spokesperson based on the facts of the various situations in these cases

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Well, I don't get it...

Wang Junxia running a marathon in 2 hours and 24 minutes automatically must be the result of PED abuse because it isn't humanly possible for a woman to do so (these were literally the words of BBC commentators at the time). Paula Radcliffe runs a marathon in 2 hours and 15 minutes and the reaction of the same BBC commentators did go something like this: :clap2: :aparty: :cheer:. I guess that what this means is that it's impossible for a CHINESE woman to run the marathon in 2 hours and 24 minutes but that it's entirely possible for a British woman to run even nine minutes faster.

bruce goose
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Well, I don't get it...

Wang Junxia running a marathon in 2 hours and 24 minutes automatically must be the result of PED abuse because it isn't humanly possible for a woman to do so (these were literally the words of BBC commentators at the time). Paula Radcliffe runs a marathon in 2 hours and 15 minutes and the reaction of the same BBC commentators did go something like this: :clap2: :aparty: :cheer:. I guess that what this means is that it's impossible for a CHINESE woman to run the marathon in 2 hours and 24 minutes but that it's entirely possible for the superior race of British women to run even nine minutes faster.Well,I'm not excusing lax or biased journalism,if that's what you thought.However,it's only human nature to be more suspicious of a person or group if there's a consistent track record of certain conduct.On a simple level,I'm less inclined to suspect that someone in a business suit will rob me at gunpoint than some guy who dresses like a cholo

Protoss
Jul 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Marion Jones was suspected of doping for years but didn't fail a drug test. Later she would admit to it though.

bruce goose
Jul 31st, 2012, 03:11 PM
Marion Jones was suspected of doping for years but didn't fail a drug test. Later she would admit to it though.IIRC,there was a lot of evidence mounting against Marion from people who had known her well.It wasn't a case where she made an honest admission from some religious epiphany or something;)

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well,I'm not excusing lax or biased journalism,if that's what you thought.However,it's only human nature to be more suspicious of a person or group if there's a consistent track record of certain conduct.On a simple level,I'm less inclined to suspect that someone in a business suit will rob me at gunpoint than some guy who dresses like a cholo
True, although in my younger days I was told never to trust a man in a suit - and there's still enough of the old hippie left in me to think there's something to that. ;) But anyway, yesterday there was this girl from Lithuania who won a gold in the swimming and also took seconds of her personal best. No dope accusations about her. Australian swimming phenom Ian Thorpe says that improving quickly when you're a teenager is not that unusual. He himself improved by five seconds to take his first gold. That doesn't mean that I'm not suspicious about Ye Shiwan though, because I certainly am. But on the other hand I also think that those comments from the American swimming coach are the result of sour grapes because the Chinese are doing better than the US.

Look (and this is the cynic in me speaking, but I don't think it's that far from the truth), there are two parts to every competition these days. The first one is making sure that you cross the line first and the second is passing the PED control. Both are equally important, and if you can do both, voila - you're the champ. Don't take PED? Well, congratulations for making it to the quarter finals! :lol:

Burisleif
Jul 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
@TF66 The USADA is a newish independent organisation formed to remove the testing task from the USOC in 2000. I wouldn't blindly trust anything before 2000.

Do we all remember the AIS swimming sprint coach? The team safe was stolen, and when it was recovered it was full of PED's? No action taken despite numerous other rumours that AIS was a rife with issues.

If the Chinese girl is found to have been cheating then it would be right to assume the whole team is and they should all be removed. It's a state organised team and the earlier revelations by their former doctor are damming.

EDIT: Seems that Ye Shiwen trains in Australia (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/london-olympics/chinese-schoolgirl-shiwen-ye-swimming-faster-than-men/story-fn9dheyx-1226438946789)

The Uk mass funding and State programs should also be looked at in depth imho... Brailsford's apparent unconcern of drafting in highly suspect foreign medical staff is extremely worrying.

Did we see Errani's drop in form now Morel is Banned?

Back to real sport...

Burisleif
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Jonas picked up a 1 and a 2 today, the 2 despite a false start and penalty. :worship:
BA still struggling to match him with a 4 and 3

Scores after today (now showing a net score of worst result dropped in brackets)

JHC 1+1+2+7+1+2 =14 (7)
BA 2+2+6+12+4+3 =29 (17)
JL 9+4+4+2+6+7 =32 (23)

Baring disaster and touch wood HC still on course to preserve PE's record, the first Gold of which was of course earned in London in 1948. :)

Protoss
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:05 PM
Tsonga/Raonic 18-18 in the 3rd set. :rolleyes: It's times like these that I wish they had some sort of final set tiebreak past 6-6.

Jimmie48
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Annoying, I want to watch Heather and Vika..get it done already!

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:29 PM
Tsonga/Raonic 18-18 in the 3rd set. :rolleyes: It's times like these that I wish they had some sort of final set tiebreak past 6-6.
Sorry, I'm in favor of playing it through until the bitter end. Long matches don't bother me.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:30 PM
Annoying, I want to watch Heather and Vika..get it done already!
Maybe they will move that match to CC (???)

Protoss
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM
No such luck. Ferrer's match has been moved there.

Jimmie48
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:35 PM

It's actually two matches I'm talking about, Heather plays Kirilenko and Vika is on after that. I fear that she will be postponed again, either that or moved to an outside court.

Protoss
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Tsonga finally won 25-23.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 06:52 PM
It's actually two matches I'm talking about, Heather plays Kirilenko and Vika is on after that. I fear that she will be postponed again, either that or moved to an outside court.
You're a Heather fan, Jimmie?

Jimmie48
Jul 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM
You're a Heather fan, Jimmie?

Well, fan... I don't really get to see her that often and I don't really make an effort to most of the time but I like her. She's such a nice girl and just adorable, I just want to hug her :lol:

I think it's great that she gets to play at the Olympics in front of her home crowd. She falls in the same category as Clijsters for me, I wouldn't call myself a fan but I'm always happy to see her do well :)

Haha, the birthday serenade from the crowd for Vika was cute.

TennisFan66
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Holy sh1t ... that was like watching Caroline ...

Handball (M) : Spain - Denmark 23-24

Burisleif
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cleverley played ;)

Burisleif
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:23 PM
So Table tennis has obnoxious players too... Ovtcherov take a bow... :)

TennisFan66
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:58 PM
More controversy involving Chinese athletes. This time in Badminton, women's dubs. The world's best doubles pair blatantly tanked a match to a South Korean pair, so the Chinese #1 would be in the other half to the #2 Chinese pair for the knock-out stage.

Audience booed them off court.

The organizers are partly to blame though, as matches were not played at the same time, allowing the Chinese to know what result was needed to ensure they got their two pairs in different halves.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:46 PM
More controversy involving Chinese athletes. This time in Badminton, women's dubs. The world's best doubles pair blatantly tanked a match to a South Korean pair, so the Chinese #1 would be in the other half to the #2 Chinese pair for the knock-out stage.

Audience booed them off court.

The organizers are partly to blame though, as matches were not played at the same time, allowing the Chinese to know what result was needed to ensure they got their two pairs in different halves.
The anti-China sentiment is so strong that I find myself almost rooting for them at this point. :lol:

TennisFan66
Aug 1st, 2012, 12:19 AM
The anti-China sentiment is so strong that I find myself almost rooting for them at this point. :lol:

Inside badminton circles it is common knowledge Chinese players have tanked matches to lower ranked compatriots to ensure the latter a higher ranking and more Chinese competitors in big events ..

Frankly, the organizers should have been able to connect the dots and predict the Chinese would also extend their strategic 'match management' to incl Olympic games matches. The organizers could have schedule latter group matches to be played simultaneously. While it doesn't guarantee a stop to all match fixing, it at least makes it more difficult.

You may find it amusing, but if you'd been in the crowd, spending your own hard earned cash to go see, what you expect are competitors fighting hard to win matches, I think you are allowed to be disappointed and boo, those blatantly tanking a match, off the court.

Martn7
Aug 1st, 2012, 12:27 AM
Spain - Denmark played today in men's handball and they play tomorrow in women's handball at the same time (19:30 London time) :lol:

Spain needs to win tomorrow since they have 1 point (yesterday they were leading 18-16 vs France but the match ended with a draw 18-18)

Chrissie-fan
Aug 1st, 2012, 01:50 AM
Inside badminton circles it is common knowledge Chinese players have tanked matches to lower ranked compatriots to ensure the latter a higher ranking and more Chinese competitors in big events ..

Frankly, the organizers should have been able to connect the dots and predict the Chinese would also extend their strategic 'match management' to incl Olympic games matches. The organizers could have schedule latter group matches to be played simultaneously.

Exactly. By not doing that 'they' are asking for it. That's why in the football world cup they now play the last matches of the round robin round simultaneously. I remember that in the days of old Germany and Austria just played around a bit on their own halfs of the pitch when they played each other because they knew that by doing so both would be qualified. And the crowd booed then as well, but the players didn't care because they knew that making a deal with each other was in their own best interest. So the organizers are to blame for making giving in to the temptation a possibility.

bruce goose
Aug 1st, 2012, 04:02 AM
Nahhh...you're missing that one by a mile,Chrissie-fan.At my old prison job,a pedophile once told me that PARENTS were to blame for baby-rapers sick temptations because they let their kids play outdoors where the perverts can see them:rolleyes:

That's an extreme example,but the premise is clear: If you're a lowlife,you're just a lowlife...and you can't blame society for your lack of character or integrity.In the NFL,there's sometimes retaliation when one team mails it in and allows their opponent to coast into the playoffs with an uncontested victory.If a team that missed out via this sort of chickenshit professionalism faces the offending team the following year,it's no surprise if they lay some vicious hits on the team of jokers with the strong implicit message: Next time,play like professionals,you assholes:rolleyes:!

TennisFan66
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Spain - Denmark played today in men's handball and they play tomorrow in women's handball at the same time (19:30 London time) :lol:

Spain needs to win tomorrow since they have 1 point (yesterday they were leading 18-16 vs France but the match ended with a draw 18-18)

And after losing to South Korea, the Danish girls really need another win ;) (a draw with France is a great result though. France beat Norway in the opening match :eek: ).

Back to the badminton scandal. Like rings in water it spreads. In a following match, another two teams tried their hardest to lose, so they could avoid the Chinese #1 pair in the QF. BWF will now investigate, but there's is little hope of any justice.

From Huffington :

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/01/london-2012-olympics-badminton-womens-doubles-pairs-china-south-kora-disgrace-badminton-world-federation_n_1726792.html

" The spotlight will also be cast once again on the Chinese, who dominate world badminton but have been accused of manipulation before. Petya Nedelcheva, the Bulgarian women's singles 15th seed who had been playing on an adjacent court at the time of the first incident, was forthright in her general criticism.
She said: "China control everything. I don't know who controlled the match to lose but if it is China again, they did it so many times last year, they didn't play against each other in 20 matches. They do what they want."
Nedelcheva's comments are supported by figures compiled by online magazine Badzine earlier this year which show that of the 99 all-Chinese matches played in major tournaments in 2011, 20 were walkovers. "

It's turned into a (bigger) farce.

And that Crissie-fan, is why there is an anti-China feeling in badminton. Not because people are racist or what-have-you, but because the Chinese have as little regards for other countries sportsmen & women, as they have for intellectual property rights, copyrights or human rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19074280

bandabou
Aug 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM
Some nice discussions going on here. Just illustrates: winning doesn't always bring you lots of friends. :lol:

Too good to be true?! Only becomes " It's true" when the athlete is from your country. If Ye Siwan was American, then suddenly she'd be squeaking clean?! :lol: Armstrong still hasn't been caught..

TennisFan66
Aug 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM
You above, you might find it an interesting discussion, but you also clearly did not read, what was said in the discussion.

Anyhoo,

8 female badminton players thrown out of the Olympics :worship:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677

bruce goose
Aug 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM
You above, you might find it an interesting discussion, but you also clearly did not read, what was said in the discussion.

Anyhoo,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677It's also worth noting,TF66,that wisely-planned,strong deterrents DO work,at least to some extent,when applied correctly.Within China itself,for example,the people don't ENJOY not having free elections,freedom of religion,etc.---but Tiananmen Square:eek: taught them to be very judicious when protesting the government.

Likewise,there'll always be wildcard individuals from ANY country who might try to buck the rules,but there are DEFINITELY ways to deter systemic cheating.It's not that it CAN'T be done;as with the old USSR and East Germany,though,the Olympic so-called leaders are less concerned with the purity of competition than they are with taking the principle of international goodwill to ass-kissing extremes.You wanna tank a match?Okay,both you AND the ones you wanted to help are expelled from competition.Have you still not learned and wanna try it again?Okay,we'll use some Olympic Tiananmen tactics:devil: so now you and your ENTIRE OLYMPIC SQUAD will be expelled from competition with ALL medals forfeited,kicked out of the Olympic village...and deported from the country as they are led to the airport via riot trucks in shackles and then sent back to their home nation,in unsuccessful disgrace,like cattle on a cargo plane...they'll re-think their slimy tactics soon enough:p........Obviously,such deportation wouldn't work on a HOST nation:lol:,so the IOC would have to become much more judicious in the future in choosing one

Chrissie-fan
Aug 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Nahhh...you're missing that one by a mile,Chrissie-fan.

Well, difference of opinion encourages debate. :lol: But I think you missunderstand me a little. I'm not applauding the Chinese for losing on purpose, but I'm criticizing the organizers for coming up with a formula that given a certain set of circumstances can make it in the best interest of certain competitors to lose.

Let's assume that, say, the best team of group B in a round robin system ended up in second place. If there's still a match to be played in group A it's actually in the best interest of those competitors not to win their group because then they would have to face the best team of group B who as said in this example ended up being second. you may call such a team cowards, or at least not sportsmanlike, and of course you have a point - but fact of the matter is that in the past this type of a scenario has come up time and again where a round robin system is being used, and it can easily be avoided.

In soccer they came up with the perfect solution - they just let each team's last match be played simultaneously with the other matches so that they don't know each others' results and can't lose on purpose because depending on the other results it might mean that the're out. It sounds like a simple enough solution to me.

bruce goose
Aug 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Well, difference of opinion encourages debate. :lol: But I think you missunderstand me a little. I'm not applauding the Chinese for losing on purpose, but I'm criticizing the organizers for coming up with a formula that given a certain set of circumstances can make it in the best interest of certain competitors to lose.

Let's assume that, say, the best team of group B in a round robin system ended up in second place. If there's still a match to be played in group A it's actually in the best interest of those competitors not to win their group because then they would have to face the best team of group B who as said in this example ended up being second. you may call such a team cowards, or at least not sportsmanlike, and of course you have a point - but fact of the matter is that in the past this type of a scenario has come up time and again where a round robin system is being used, and it can easily be avoided.

In soccer they came up with the perfect solution - they just let each team's last match be played simultaneously with the other matches so that they don't know each others' results and can't lose on purpose because depending on the other results it might mean that the're out. It sounds like a simple enough solution to me.You offer some reasonable arguments with good alternatives here.Unfortunately,sports authorities are pathetically slow in implementing even simple,common-sense changes...it'll probably require arson on a few FIFA offices before they finally relent and use replay correctly:lol:

bandabou
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM

Anyhoo,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677

I did..and only thing I saw was: 'sour grapes'. It isn't coincidence that the comment came from an American. They've been getting their butts kicked left and right in the swim event, Phelps not one single individual gold yet, etc.. so one can understand the frustration.

Go Caroooo!!!

Chrissie-fan
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Go Caroooo!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Double A
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:20 PM
I did..and only thing I saw was: 'sour grapes'. It isn't coincidence that the comment came from an American. They've been getting their butts kicked left and right in the swim event, Phelps not one single individual gold yet, etc.. so one can understand the frustration.

Go Caroooo!!!

I like how us Americans are "getting our butts kicked left and right" but are still winning multiple swimming medals of all colors. :drool:

bandabou
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
I like how us Americans are "getting our butts kicked left and right" but are still winning multiple swimming medals of all colors. :drool:

Not the dreamed and hoped for Golds though. Lost 4 x 100 relay, etc..

DownInAHole
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Can we at least agree that the summer Olympics are a joke. Now the winter Olympics, that's what really counts. At least us Canadians can earn a respectable medal count when snow and ice are involved.;)

Chrissie-fan
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Not the dreamed and hoped for Golds though. Lost 4 x 100 relay, etc..
Well, Belgium has already one bronze for judo......:help: :tape:

bandabou
Aug 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM
Well, Belgium has already one bronze for judo......:help: :tape:

:lol: And Holland only ONE Gold..:help: It's good, because too much arrogancy isn't good.

TennisFan66
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM

Yeah, well, you know, anyone who's followed swimming and can remember the numerous doping scandals involving Chinese swimmers will know, it's not just 'sour grapes' that an American coach is surprised about a 16 year old girl swimming the last free leg in the 400 m medley faster than the winner in the men's final ..

It's freaking obvious, the girl is doped to over her eye balls. The only question is, when/if she'll test positive.

Chinese sweep'd the medals in Atlanta (together with the Irish doping cheat), in Perth '98, many of them tested positive and for the 2000 Olympics, they were probably all clean, but if I remember correct, they didn't win a single medal!!!

bruce goose
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM
Can we at least agree that the summer Olympics are a joke. Now the winter Olympics, that's what really counts. At least us Canadians can earn a respectable medal count when snow and ice are involved.;)Yes,but like the McKenzie Brothers,Canadians excel best at the Hoser Olympics

bandabou
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah, well, you know, anyone who's followed swimming and can remember the numerous doping scandals involving Chinese swimmers will know, it's not just 'sour grapes' that an American coach is surprised about a 16 year old girl swimming the last free leg in the 400 m medley faster than the winner in the men's final ..

It's freaking obvious, the girl is doped to over her eye balls. The only question is, when/if she'll test positive.

Chinese sweep'd the medals in Atlanta (together with the Irish doping cheat), in Perth '98, many of them tested positive and for the 2000 Olympics, they were probably all clean, but if I remember correct, they didn't win a single medal!!!

Michael Phelps wins 8 gold in Peking. Doping anybody?! And he DID get suspended for substance abuse..go figure.

terjw
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
Pretty much agree with Chrissie-fan re Ye Shiwen as opposed to the lymch mob arguments she's on PED because of her improvement and that she's Chinese and there was the doping scandal there 20 years ago. If she is taking PEDs - that has to be dealt with properly through WADA and proved. If she is not - I feel really sorry for her she has to endure these lynch mob accusations.

As for the badmington disqulifications for trying to lose - I was really hoping they'd take this action and disqualify them. Whilst I think that in situations like this - you cannot expect players to give 110% effort - this was blatant trying to lose. I now hope that the players concerned will not be left to be hung out and dried on their own. I'm sure that this was a decision taken by the team management and the players were told to do this and they would have had a lot of difficulty in disobeying any team decision they were told to do.

The subject of the format etc is different thing entirely. Yes that can be improved but that's not an excuse.

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
Pretty much agree with Chrissie-fan re Ye Shiwen as opposed to the lymch mob arguments she's on PED because of her improvement and that she's Chinese and there was the doping scandal there 20 years ago. If she is taking PEDs - that has to be dealt with properly through WADA and proved. If she is not - I feel really sorry for her she has to endure this lynch mob.

As for the badmington disqulifications for trying to lose - I was really hoping they'd take this action and disqualify them. Whilst I think that in situations like this - you cannot expect players to give 110% effort - this was blatant trying to lose. I now hope that the players concerned will not be left to be hung out and dried on their own. I'm sure that this was a decision taken by the team management and the players were told to do this and they would have had a lot of difficulty in disobeying any team decision they were told to do.

The subject of the format etc is different thing entirely. Yes that can be improved but that's not an excuse.The lynch mob categorization is a weak cop-out,Terjw;if it were only hearsay based on her being Chinese and improving her time somewhat,that'd be a bit different.However,she defied all logic by exceeding even some world-class MEN'S times...on top of VASTLY topping her own time and coming from a system that actually takes pride in cheating and bending the rules for the purpose of championing Chairman Mao's fantasy society...the old USSR was no different in that respect.

For a tennis comparison,if Serena,or ANY woman,suddenly began serving 20kph faster than Karlovic or Isner...and then mysteriously became tireless out on court...as if she weren't even slightly fatigued after a 2 1/2 match...then you couldn't intelligently blame anyone for believing her a cheat.Rule of Law is a superb standard to live by,but sometimes there's enough circumstantial evidence for any NON-moron to have a plausible,respectable theory

C. W. Fields
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
It's a stupid format in the badminton tournament, practually begging for scenarios where players will try not to win. Either they should cut out this round robin format altogether or not decide beforehand which #1 will face which #2. Imagine Caro presented with this scenario: If you beat Dani you'll face Serena in QF, if you lose you'll face Kirilenko. Would Caro give her all to win?

Kim Clijsters is considered a great exponent of fair play and sports(wo)manship, but I remember the 2010 YEC where both Clijsters and Zvonareva had won their first two RR matches and were sure to advance. In the other group Stosur was also 2-0 and sure to win the group. Clijsters knew beforehand that if she lost to Zvonareva her SF would be against Stosur, a player she owns (4-0 without losing a set at the time). It would be an exaggeration to say that Clijsters threw the match, but you could clearly see she wasn't playing 100% and didn't care too much whether she won or lost and ended up losing 7-6, 6-4. How big is the difference between what Clijsters did and what these badminton ladies have just done?

bandabou
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
The lynch mob categorization is a weak cop-out,Terjw;if it were only hearsay based on her being Chinese and improving her time somewhat,that'd be a bit different.However,she defied all logic by exceeding even some world-class MEN'S times...on top of VASTLY topping her own time and coming from a system that actually takes pride in cheating and bending the rules for the purpose of championing Chairman Mao's fantasy society...the old USSR was no different in that respect.

For a tennis comparison,if Serena,or ANY woman,suddenly began serving 20kph faster than Karlovic or Isner...and then mysteriously became tireless out on court...as if she weren't even slightly fatigued after a 2 1/2 match...then you couldn't intelligently blame anyone for believing her a cheat.Rule of Law is a superb standard to live by,but sometimes there's enough circumstantial evidence for any NON-moron to have a plausible,respectable theory

Nice theory..still the burden of proof lies on the prosecution. You so sure, she doped?! Prove it..bring up the evidence. Circumstuncial evidence ALONE hasn't been enough to convict anybody. OJ Simpson anybody?!

It ain't like the u.s himself hasn't had his own fair share of cheaters, no?! Carl Lewis, etc..nobody talked nothing about them, soo...:shrug:

TennisFan66
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
It's a stupid format in the badminton tournament, practually begging for scenarios where players will try not to win. Either they should cut out this round robin format altogether or not decide beforehand which #1 will face which #2. Imagine Caro presented with this scenario: If you beat Dani you'll face Serena in QF, if you lose you'll face Kirilenko. Would Caro give her all to win?

Kim Clijsters is considered a great exponent of fair play and sports(wo)manship, but I remember the 2010 YEC where both Clijsters and Zvonareva had won their first two RR matches and were sure to advance. In the other group Stosur was also 2-0 and sure to win the group. Clijsters knew beforehand that if she lost to Zvonareva her SF would be against Stosur, a player she owns (4-0 without losing a set at the time). It would be an exaggeration to say that Clijsters threw the match, but you could clearly see she wasn't playing 100% and didn't care too much whether she won or lost and ended up losing 7-6, 6-4. How big is the difference between what Clijsters did and what these badminton ladies have just done?

There is probably little doubt, the format will be changed. They tried to avoid a 100% knock-out tournament, so half the teams wouldn't get just one match. Nice thought, but failed execution. Perhaps a format, where group stage winners are drawn against group rup randomly, and not matched up vis-a-vis an already fixed schedule, is the way forward?

On a side note, the Danish women's dubs pair, which set off this whole farce, by beating the Chinese #2 pair in their group match, lost their QF to a Japanese pair. The Japanese themselves were accused of also tanking a match (last group stage match, the Japanese surprisingly lost to an Indian pair, hereby avoiding the Chinese pair in the QF) .. India lodged a complaint against the Japanese with the BWF, but supposedly BWF wasn't interested in more scandals and ignored it.

As for the tennis parallel. Yep, that Bepa - Kim match is a good example. Fortunately it's also the only tournament with a round robin format, so tennis is generally spared for such shenanigans ..

angliru
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
I saw an interesting bit on German TV where they talked about Ye Shiwen and the lynch mob tendencies (and hypocracy). Apparently the English media loves the 15-year old Lithuanian swimmer Ruta Meilutyte, Gold medal winner of the 100-meter breaststroke, because she lives in England. The English papers shows pictures of her in English school uniforms, and everyone agrees that she's just adorable and cute (all according to the German TV clip). Likewise, the German press and public has always loved Franziska van Almsick, who won four swimming medals at the 1992 Olympic Games at the age of 14! But if the swimmer is from China, then it's fully legitimate to hate her and accuse her of all sorts of cheating.

Franziska van Almsick is working as a swimming expert for German TV (ARD) now, and she said it's just plain wrong to treat the athletes so differently. I actually agree.

http://i.imgur.com/mIZep.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mrVJm.jpg

bandabou
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
I saw an interesting bit on German TV where they talked about Ye Shiwen and the lynch mob tendencies (and hypocracy). Apparently the English media loves the 15-year old Lithuanian swimmer Ruta Meilutyte, Gold medal winner of the 100-meter breaststroke, because she lives in England. The English papers shows pictures of her in English school uniforms, and everyone agrees that she's just adorable and cute (all according to the German TV clip). Likewise, the German press and public has always loved Franziska van Almsick, who won four swimming medals at the 1992 Olympic Games at the age of 14! But if the swimmer is from China, then it's fully legitimate to hate her and accuse her of all sorts of cheating.

Franziska van Almsick is working as a swimming expert for German TV (ARD) now, and she said it's just plain wrong to treat the athletes so differently. I actually agree.

http://i.imgur.com/mIZep.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mrVJm.jpg

Exactly my point. And I guess from Chrissie-fan too.

TennisFan66
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:05 PM

The argument is valid of course. Problem is, China has a long and proven history of doping cheats in swimming. Especially among it's female swimmers (more bang for your bucks) ... and unlike in Germany or the UK, there really isn't anyone to monitor the state controlled swimming development system in China.

There are also ex-coaches, doctors from China, who's later told about the systematic (ab)use of PED in the Chinese system.

It is not a coincidence, the East German swimming coaches moved to China after the fall of the Berlin wall and not UK nor stayed in a unified Germany.

bandabou
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
The argument is valid of course. Problem is, China has a long and proven history of doping cheats in swimming. Especially among it's female swimmers (more bang for your bucks) ... and unlike in Germany or the UK, there really isn't anyone to monitor the state controlled swimming development system in China.

There are also ex-coaches, doctors from China, who's later told about the systematic (ab)use of PED in the Chinese system.

It is not a coincidence, the East German swimming coaches moved to China after the fall of the Berlin wall and not UK nor stayed in a unified Germany.

Guilt by association, huh?! A dangerous thing.. if that's all was needed, then Marion Jones would've never become soo glorified for those medals in ' 00.

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Nice theory..still the burden of proof lies on the prosecution. You so sure, she doped?! Prove it..bring up the evidence. Circumstuncial evidence ALONE hasn't been enough to convict anybody. OJ Simpson anybody?!

It ain't like the u.s himself hasn't had his own fair share of cheaters, no?! Carl Lewis, etc..nobody talked nothing about them, soo...:shrug:Of course due process of law should be observed,but we're not violating that process.It's stupid,infantile logic to say that we're abusing the Chinese swimmer--or 'lynching' her--merely by discussing our suspicions in this forum:lol:.This IS an opinion forum and,in THIS case,there's much more than ample evidence for suspicion.I'm Mexican and don't like the U.S. much AT ALL(OR most of their athletes),so I don't care about defending them,yet your OWN dislike for the U.S. seems to be leading you to a simplistic attitude about this debate: It's the U.S. versus suspected Chinese athletes.If you stop for a moment and take a look at some poster's flags here,you'll notice that there are PLENTY of NON-Americans,including Chrissie-fan,who believe that the Chinese swimmer doped.

You're also being EXTREMELY naive if you think that guilt by association shouldn't exist in people's minds.Though it's not sufficient evidence for a legal conviction,association with criminal organizations such as the mafia is quite frequently a cause for investigations,which is only logical.Also,and YOU should love THIS one:p,an initial finding of innocence doesn't always mean that the person IS innocent.Lance Armstrong passed NUMEROUS drug tests when other cyclists first complained about his unlikely results.Now,a couple years later,it turns out that he was using masking agents to conceal the drugs in his system.

I don't hate the Chinese swimmer;there are issues in this world that are FAR more important,but it's kinda dumb to suggest that,'Gee,maybe she really CAN swim faster than medal-winning men under her own power--let's not rush to conclusions:silly:' Let's say that a man had a smoking gun in his hand with a dead person at his feet and,when the police found him there,he claimed that a Martian beamed down from a spaceship,shot the man,and then planted the gun in the suspicious man's hand.Would they say,'Now,let's not have a lynch mob mentality;maybe a malicious Martian DID that.We'll check the tape from that videocamera over there before we detain this guy.You are free to go,sir:wavey::crazy:'

As I said,Rule of Law is what we should live by,but we are merely discussing opinions here,NOT lynching anyone,and those opinions have a strong basis in both present and historical fact

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Exactly my point. And I guess from Chrissie-fan too.
Absolutely. I have my suspicions as well (who doesn't?), but until proven otherwise Ye Shiwen is for me the female swimmer of the tournament - maybe even the female athlete of the olympics.

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM

Kim Clijsters is considered a great exponent of fair play and sports(wo)manship, but I remember the 2010 YEC where both Clijsters and Zvonareva had won their first two RR matches and were sure to advance. In the other group Stosur was also 2-0 and sure to win the group. Clijsters knew beforehand that if she lost to Zvonareva her SF would be against Stosur, a player she owns (4-0 without losing a set at the time). It would be an exaggeration to say that Clijsters threw the match, but you could clearly see she wasn't playing 100% and didn't care too much whether she won or lost and ended up losing 7-6, 6-4. How big is the difference between what Clijsters did and what these badminton ladies have just done?A nice,relevant comparison,C.W.:),but in THIS case,Vera had already clinched her spot so no teammate or friend benefitted from Kim's performance.One could also argue that Kim was merely resting up by coasting thru a match that she didn't need to win...rather than trying to match up with Stosur.Was her other potential opponent such a threat that Kim just HAD to avoid her??We can understand how worn out players are at the end of the year,so it's no surprise that Kim would conserve energy and not risk injury in a meaningless match for her.

Still,you raise a valid issue in re the integrity of play,so I suppose that officials in such situations should wield some discretionary power in determining whether or not a professional effort was being given or not.So,let's imagine for a second that Kim was a half-assing joker who barely reached for balls in that Vera match you mentioned.In THAT case,the director would have the authority to warn her first with penalties spelled out and then,if she continued to tank,she'd be expelled from the tourney and then Vera would assume the top spot in that group...with the next-highest player behind Vera taking the second position.How does THAT sound?:shrug:

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Absolutely. I have my suspicions as well (who doesn't?), but until proven otherwise Ye Shiwen is for me the female swimmer of the tournament - maybe even the female athlete of the olympics.Well,if she beat her personal best by 30 seconds...and exceeded the best men's time by 15 seconds...and had a manly,testosterone-juiced voice,would you STILL be saying that:lol:?

You mentioned your hippie past...is it really 'the past';)?....Cuz there are a couple nice European fellows named Paulmara and Arctic Moose in Petra's forum....and let's just say that they have very liberal 'pharmaceutical' practices;).You might get along quite well with them:lol:

Trey
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Renne said caro father want her too retire early at a young age i hope that not true i think she can atleast play till she 29-30 yr old unless she pull off a kimmy and retire and come back strong

CWTennis
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Renne said caro father want her too retire early at a young age i hope that not true i think she can atleast play till she 29-30 yr old unless she pull off a kimmy and retire and come back strong
when/where she said it?

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Well,if she beat her personal best by 30 seconds...and exceeded the best men's time by 15 seconds...and had a manly,testosterone-juiced voice,would you STILL be saying that:lol:?

You mentioned your hippie past...is it really 'the past';)?....Cuz there are a couple nice European fellows named Paulmara and Arctic Moose in Petra's forum....and let's just say that they have very liberal 'pharmaceutical' practices;).You might get along quite well with them:lol:
No. Than I would say that she's/he's the male athlete of the Olympics. :)

I never considered myself a 'real' hippie (whatever that means), although in my younger days I had long hair and I thought Bob Dylan was the messiah. :lol:

BTW - I saw a (Belgian) newspaper article today about Ye Shiwen under the headline of, "Athletes only allowed to be unbelievable if the're American." So I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way. ;)

TennisFan66
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
when/where she said it?

I am not sure 'wanted' is the right word, but it's an old topic, as you likely know. The assumption has always been (and confirmed by Piotr many years ago), Caroline would retire from tennis at an relatively early age to settle down to have kids, family .. The lot.

bandabou
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Of course due process of law should be observed,but we're not violating that process.It's stupid,infantile logic to say that we're abusing the Chinese swimmer--or 'lynching' her--merely by discussing our suspicions in this forum:lol:.This IS an opinion forum and,in THIS case,there's much more than ample evidence for suspicion.I'm Mexican and don't like the U.S. much AT ALL(OR most of their athletes),so I don't care about defending them,yet your OWN dislike for the U.S. seems to be leading you to a simplistic attitude about this debate: It's the U.S. versus suspected Chinese athletes.If you stop for a moment and take a look at some poster's flags here,you'll notice that there are PLENTY of NON-Americans,including Chrissie-fan,who believe that the Chinese swimmer doped.

You're also being EXTREMELY naive if you think that guilt by association shouldn't exist in people's minds.Though it's not sufficient evidence for a legal conviction,association with criminal organizations such as the mafia is quite frequently a cause for investigations,which is only logical.Also,and YOU should love THIS one:p,an initial finding of innocence doesn't always mean that the person IS innocent.Lance Armstrong passed NUMEROUS drug tests when other cyclists first complained about his unlikely results.Now,a couple years later,it turns out that he was using masking agents to conceal the drugs in his system.

I don't hate the Chinese swimmer;there are issues in this world that are FAR more important,but it's kinda dumb to suggest that,'Gee,maybe she really CAN swim faster than medal-winning men under her own power--let's not rush to conclusions:silly:' Let's say that a man had a smoking gun in his hand with a dead person at his feet and,when the police found him there,he claimed that a Martian beamed down from a spaceship,shot the man,and then planted the gun in the suspicious man's hand.Would they say,'Now,let's not have a lynch mob mentality;maybe a malicious Martian DID that.We'll check the tape from that videocamera over there before we detain this guy.You are free to go,sir:wavey::crazy:'

As I said,Rule of Law is what we should live by,but we are merely discussing opinions here,NOT lynching anyone,and those opinions have a strong basis in both present and historical fact

So where's the dead body and the gun this case?! :shrug: :p

We were discussing it here on the board..but the American coach SPOKE it out in PUBLIC. That's character-killing. Only saying that one has to be careful with comments like that..specially in public.

Trey
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
when/where she said it?

the commentator bought it up during the match in second set

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM
So where's the dead body and the gun this case?! :shrug: :pBeating world-class men's times;).If a female sprinter outran Usain Bolt,it would be the exact same premise.

Listen,I don't mind your distaste for the Americans(you're preaching to the choir,as the saying goes),but this is a more common-sense thing that goes beyond national boundaries.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Beating world-class men's times;).If a female sprinter outran Usain Bolt,it would be the exact same premise.

But she doesn't beat world class men's times. She was faster during one section of a 400m race - that doesn't mean that she swims faster over the entire distance.

BTW- bandabou is a big Serena fan. Last time I checked she was American. ;)

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
No. Than I would say that she's/he's the male athlete of the Olympics. :)

I never considered myself a 'real' hippie (whatever that means), although in my younger days I had long hair and I thought Bob Dylan was the messiah. :lol:

BTW - I saw a (Belgian) newspaper article today about Ye Shiwen under the headline of, "Athletes only allowed to be unbelievable if the're American." So I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way. ;)Oh yeah,you were a hippie,all right:lol:.

....And you have to be honest here;European journals will almost automatically take ANY anti-American position,no matter how stupid it might be...though,as I've indicated before,I'm probably anti-U.S. enough to make most haters happy.

To be fair,though,the human rights violations in the PRC are PLENTY despicable,so even a U.S.-hater doesn't have any legit 'hero' against the enemy in this case

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
But she doesn't beat world class men's times. She was faster during one section of a 400m race - that doesn't mean that she swims faster over the entire distance.

BTW- bandabou is a big Serena fan. Last time I checked she was American. ;)Now you're grasping at straws...or maybe 'tokes':p....it's not logical that she'd exceed a WR-holding man even for THAT stretch...and Bandabou spent the entire time taking shots at the U.S. even though none of the posters was American....Heck,even AYE like Kerri Walsh and Misti May:hearts::hearts:,but that doesn't PROVE that I'm unbiased towards the U.S.:lol:

CWTennis
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
the commentator bought it up during the match in second set

ok, thanks!
Im not worrried about this retiremant talk. It doesn't matter what Piotr wants, in the end it will be Caro's decision.

TennisFan66
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM

BTW- bandabou is a big Serena fan. Last time I checked she was American. ;)

The Chinese girl didn't beat the over-all time. Granted. Neither did Ludmilla Khartosmilova nor Florence Griffith Joyned (nor Semenya .. who XXY's by a freak of nature and not a lab experiment), but she did have the stamina to swim faster over the last two lanes in the 400 meters medley than the two top American male swimmers.

I am sorry, but I cannot even understand why anyone can be so blind (naive), as to think this is just big hands and hard training ..

Trey
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
ok, thanks!
Im not worrried about this retiremant talk. It doesn't matter what Piotr wants, in the end it will be Caro's decision.

Yeah I not too Worried as well, Hopefully she can win a slam one day through, & Renne just love the word retire because she just brought up Maria Retire soon Renne must need friends :lol

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I am sorry, but I cannot even understand why anyone can be so blind (naive), as to think this is just big hands and hard training ..
Well, I've said in my first post on this subject that I'm 99.9% sure that she's on PED. I can't say how I feel any better than that. The only difference between us is that for me it has to be 100% before I accuse her.

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Well, I've said in my first post on this subject that I'm 99.9% sure that she's on PED. I can't say how I feel any better than that. The only difference between us is that for me it has to be 100% before I accuse her.Well,unless you suddenly find a job with WADA,I don't think you'll have an opportunity to formally accuse her:lol:

Don't you think that it was nice of Petra to open the door to at least one underdog story amongst the semifinalists:o??

TennisFan66
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Last event of the day .. Men's Handball .. A replay of the Euro 2012 final. Serbia - Denmark.

So far a rather miserable day. Caro lost. Peter Gade lost (to some CHINESE grrrr), new fave in tennis, Kimmi, couldn't stop the evil ice queen ... Ah well ...

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Don't you think that it was nice of Petra to open the door to at least one underdog story amongst the semifinalists:o??
Yes, very classy from Petra. :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah,you were a hippie,all right:lol:.

Maybe I still am. I still buy each new Dylan album within a couple of days of it's release. :lol:

DownInAHole
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Maybe I still am. I still buy each new Dylan album within a couple of days of it's release. :lol:

Even this one?
http://albumdujour.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/bob-dylan-christmas-album.jpg

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM
Well,unless you suddenly find a job with WADA,I don't think you'll have an opportunity to formally accuse her:lol:

You may be pleased to know that while I am (as you'll have noticed) always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt I am very much in favor of giving athletes who have been caught taking certain products lifelong bans. Not just one or two years, but lifelong. And they should be required to give the money they made out of endorsements thanks to their false achievements to the athletes who missed out on medals because of their cheating.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Even this one?
http://albumdujour.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/bob-dylan-christmas-album.jpg
:lol:

Yes.

bandabou
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Beating world-class men's times;).If a female sprinter outran Usain Bolt,it would be the exact same premise.

Listen,I don't mind your distaste for the Americans(you're preaching to the choir,as the saying goes),but this is a more common-sense thing that goes beyond national boundaries.

YOU are the one making it about nationality. She's chinese? Oh she must have doped. What kinda logic is that?
You're basically saying: if the girl was from any other nationality you'd have consider that it might be a legit clean race?! That's just American b.s. propaganda.

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
You may be pleased to know that while I am (as you'll have noticed) always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt I am very much in favor of giving athletes who have been caught taking certain products lifelong bans. Not just one or two years, but lifelong. And they should be required to give the money they made out of endorsements thanks to their false achievements to the athletes who missed out on medals because of their cheating.I'd be in favor of a called,televised public statement in more serious cases as opposed to a less conspicuous press release.The official would post the athlete's photo and emphasize what a disgrace he/she was to the sporting world;that would add to the shame somewhat,IMO.Of course,any athlete who had a pluck to his/her conscience and confessed prior to any test result revelation should be treated at least slightly more leniently,in my view.

Btw,I really think you'd enjoy chatting with Paulmara and Arctic Moose;Paul is a gentle soul who has a VERY,very creative imagination,to boot.Moose sometimes takes shots at Caro but nothing grave or disgusting;he'd very likely pull back some if he thought that he'd offended you(I've seen him apologize for such offenses).Don't know if they were ever officially hippies,per se,yet they DO have a similar pharmaceutical plan;):p

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
YOU are the one making it about nationality. She's chinese? Oh she must have doped. What kinda logic is that?
You're basically saying: if the girl was from any other nationality you'd have consider that it might be a legit clean race?! That's just American b.s. propaganda.You did it again:haha:.Listen,I don't care one bit if you hate the Americans;we might even drink to that someday:lol:...just be honest enough to admit it.

You've already been given a similar example with Irishwoman Michelle Smith,and I joined your chorus in denouncing Lance Armstrong.Right now you're looking weak and defensive cuz you're imagining enemies with anyone who disagrees with you.

The one thing aye WILL say about Europeans is how chickenshit they are in re anti-Jewish bigotry.I made a LOT of Jewish friends from my time living in the U.S. near Baltimore,and I also know that the Arab oil boycott in the mid-70s crippled many economies and turned many Europeans into cowards who would polish any terrorist's knob just to prevent another boycott.There is some truly sickening anti-Jewish bigotry in Spain,France,Italy,Croatia...and I'm probably missing a couple.I can't speak as to the Americans' motives,but one of the very few good things they do is support Israel against the maniacs who would wipe her off the face of the earth,even bombing buses full of kindergartners to do so:eek:....I only bring that up to say that the U.S. is nearly always on the wrong side...but not EVERY single case

bandabou
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
You did it again:haha:.Listen,I don't care one bit if you hate the Americans;we might even drink to that someday:lol:...just be honest enough to admit it.

You've already been given a similar example with Irishwoman Michelle Smith,and I joined your chorus in denouncing Lance Armstrong.Right now you're looking weak and defensive cuz you're imagining enemies with anyone who disagress with you.

The one thing aye WILL say about Europeans is how chickenshit they are in re anti-Jewish bigotry.I made a LOT of Jewish friends from my time living in the U.S. near Baltimore,and I also know that the Arab oil boycott in the mid-70s crippled many economies and turned many Europeans into cowards who would polish any terrorist's knob just to prevent another boycott.There is some truly sickening anti-Jewish bigotry in Spain,France,Italy,Croatia...and I'm probably missing a couple.I can't speak as to the Americans' motives,but one of the very few good things they do is support Israel against the maniacs who would wipe her off the face of the earth,even bombing buses full of kindergartners to do so:eek:....I only bring that up to say that the U.S. is nearly always on the wrong side...but not EVERY single case

Because you keep insisting on making comments. I didn't accuse no American or no other athlete for the matter. It's the Americans accusing the chinese, no?! So that's why I focus on the Americans.

Ah Israel..another such thing.

bruce goose
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Because you keep insisting on making comments. I didn't accuse no American or no other athlete for the matter. It's the Americans accusing the chinese, no?! So that's why I focus on the Americans.

Ah Israel..another such thing.I understand what you're saying that the American coaches and officials are complaining the loudest in London...but AYE don't work for them or support them in any way.Nor would I ever support such a country that treats mine with such disrespect.It's merely a coincidence that we're making somewhat similar comments.MY observations are merely that it's absurd,with NO plausible explanation,that the swimmer in question outraced world-class men's swimmers....just as it would absurd if a female weightlifter suddenly outlifted the men's champion...or a female pole vaulter outjumped the men's record-holder.I don't care WHAT country they're from...whether it be China,Samoa,Luxembourg,whatever.Only a MORON would consider those results even remotely valid-looking,and neither one of us is that stupid.

In a way,it's unfortunate that the Americans are the ones whining so much b/c that might make the governing bodies less inclined to investigate thoroughly....unless the gringos slip them some money under the table:lol:....I've gotta run and pick up my car from the shop,and then I'm taking off again....Nice chatting with you:wavey:

Burisleif
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:43 AM
Last event of the day .. Men's Handball .. A replay of the Euro 2012 final. Serbia - Denmark.

So far a rather miserable day. Caro lost. Peter Gade lost (to some CHINESE grrrr), new fave in tennis, Kimmi, couldn't stop the evil ice queen ... Ah well ...

I don't think I can remember a more depressing day for Danish Olympic sport.

bandabou
Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
I understand what you're saying that the American coaches and officials are complaining the loudest in London...but AYE don't work for them or support them in any way.Nor would I ever support such a country that treats mine with such disrespect.It's merely a coincidence that we're making somewhat similar comments.MY observations are merely that it's absurd,with NO plausible explanation,that the swimmer in question outraced world-class men's swimmers....just as it would absurd if a female weightlifter suddenly outlifted the men's champion...or a female pole vaulter outjumped the men's record-holder.I don't care WHAT country they're from...whether it be China,Samoa,Luxembourg,whatever.Only a MORON would consider those results even remotely valid-looking,and neither one of us is that stupid.

In a way,it's unfortunate that the Americans are the ones whining so much b/c that might make the governing bodies less inclined to investigate thoroughly....unless the gringos slip them some money under the table:lol:....I've gotta run and pick up my car from the shop,and then I'm taking off again....Nice chatting with you:wavey:

Now we're talking. :lol: I find it dubious too..but not gonna go and make claims in public that I know I won't be able to back up..and certainly when I'm from a country who just got beaten in the event.

Nice chatting to u 2. Peace!

DownInAHole
Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Mm, Federer lost the first set to del Potro. Hopefully he can turn it around. It's kind of crazy that he has yet to win a singles medal at the Olympics and this could be his last chance. I guess at the very least he will get to play for the bronze.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Strange, that rowing. "And now we go over to the rowing for the final of the cockless pairs." :confused:

Protoss
Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I like the intros Bob Costas does to the Nbc primetime broadcasts of the Olympics.

Protoss
Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
To win this match Fed's gonna have to break serve and he shows no real signs of being able to do so. :(

Protoss
Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
All hail Roger Chokerer...giving away another big match to Del Potro. :rolleyes:

Fed finally converted a break point to serve for the match only to get broken at love. :rolleyes: Disgusted.

Jimmie48
Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
sigh...every time I'm waiting for a women's match the mens match beforehand turns into some sort of marathon..

TennisFan66
Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Philip Hindes admitting he crashed deliberately will not cost Team GB their track cycling gold, says IOC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9449108/Philip-Hindes-admitting-he-crashed-deliberately-will-not-cost-Team-GB-their-track-cycling-gold-says-IOC.html

Apparently they had agreed, if one of them should get a poor start, he'll just crash and there's a re-start. Clever enough, I suppose :confused: Just not so clever to admit it to media.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Philip Hindes admitting he crashed deliberately will not cost Team GB their track cycling gold, says IOC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9449108/Philip-Hindes-admitting-he-crashed-deliberately-will-not-cost-Team-GB-their-track-cycling-gold-says-IOC.html

Apparently they had agreed, if one of them should get a poor start, he'll just crash and there's a re-start. Clever enough, I suppose :confused: Just not so clever to admit it to media.
Well, it's ok as long as the're not Chinese I guess. :lol:

PS: Come on Roger!!!!

C. W. Fields
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
14-14, 3h46m
JMDP survives tripple BPs, 15-14.

TennisFan66
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well, it's ok as long as the're not Chinese I guess. :lol:

PS: Come on Roger!!!!

Yeah, this is rather embarrassing. Certainly isn't in the spirit of the games and perhaps more important for Team GB, it involves Sir Chris (Hoy) .. Bit of a tarnished gold medal that one.

C. W. Fields
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
15-15, 4 hours! New Olympic record, surpassing Tsonga's 3h56m victory from earlier in the tournament.

Protoss
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Sigh. Why is Fed so allergic to taking his chances? :(

C. W. Fields
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Sigh. Why is Fed so allergic to taking his chances? :(

Maybe they'll nickname him Push(der)er!?

C. W. Fields
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
18-17 Fed, second chance to serve out the match.

DownInAHole
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
The old man did it! He's guaranteed at least a silver! One more achievement that Pete Sampras never managed!

C. W. Fields
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Federer wins 3-6, 7-6(5), 19-17 (186-180 on points) after 4h26m!

Protoss
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Finally the Swiss idiot finishes off the match. :)

I kind of though he was gonna get broken serving for the match again as he was down 15-30.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Well, Roger got there in the end which is all that matters I guess, but this match must have taken something out of him which might cost him in the final. Especially since the final will be a best of five sets match.

Still, as for now: :bigclap::aparty::cheer:

TennisFan66
Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Heja Sverige ...

Handball (W) Spain - Sweden 11-10 at half time.

jävla

25-24

DownInAHole
Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Interesting, a Federer/Murray final again. I'm tempted to pick Murray since this isn't a slam but it is best three out of five so I'm not sure. It would be phenomenal if Roger was able to win the gold.

TennisFan66
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Interesting, a Federer/Murray final again. I'm tempted to pick Murray since this isn't a slam but it is best three out of five so I'm not sure. It would be phenomenal if Roger was able to win the gold.

Is final Saturday or Sunday?

Chrissie-fan
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Is final Saturday or Sunday?
Womens is tomorrow, mens on Sunday.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
I'm glad Murray won because that means that Fed will stay at number one. The final will be hard for Fed, especially since he's played such a long semi already. And the public will go nuts for Murray, even more than at the Wimbledon slam. Having said that - I'll of course be rooting for Fed, but if he doesn't win it I'd rather see Murray win it than anyone else. He's earned the right to win something big I think.

TennisFan66
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
and I'm back watching Handball (W) ... Norway - Denmark ... Denmark with about as much chance to win, as Caroline against Serena Williams .. Ah well ...

*sighs* Norway won by a single goal, scored 15 seconds before then end.

Then again, they didn't lose progress to the knock-out stage in this match, but with poor display against Spain and Korea ... :(

Burisleif
Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
and I'm back watching Handball (W) ... Norway - Denmark ... Denmark with about as much chance to win, as Caroline against Serena Williams .. Ah well ...

Denmark won that match by 6 had they taken their chances. It's only a game... :)

TennisFan66
Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Denmark won that match by 6 had they taken their chances. It's only a game... :)

I don't know about that. You could make same argument for Norway. They are really far away from their best. It's just frustrating the way, Denmark managed to get back at level terms .. only to then squander some great chances in the last 5 minutes ... and I am not talking Dalby's miss on an empty goal ..

Burisleif
Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know about that. You could make same argument for Norway. They are really far away from their best. It's just frustrating the way, Denmark managed to get back at level terms .. only to then squander some great chances in the last 5 minutes ... and I am not talking Dalby's miss on an empty goal ..

By my count it was six to three on waitsed (not saved) shots, and add the pressure a lead would have brought on Norway. On a positive note we saw some of the younger players grow a lot this tourney. :) We definately are missing some flair on the line though. Overall a shame because we were better tonight.

Now to cheer for the boys and HC when he faces "Postal" Ben on sunday.

Again it's only sport and winning at this time isn't anything to shout about at this time, as will be seen when the shit hits the fan shortly.

TennisFan66
Aug 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
After the deliberate crash to get a re-start after a poor start in cycling, it appears Team GB won another tainted medal today. And much after the same recipe.

The British pair in men's lightweight doubles scull got a poor start in the final and one of the Brit rowers makes a rowing error, where he literally fell off his seat. But ... by claiming equipment failure, the final was re-run. The Danish Team captain, who witnessed the error by the British rower and also saw how the British Team captain then went an unscrewed something from the seat.

The Danish Team captain is calling for the British pair to be disqualified, but for some reason, Denmark, which won gold in the event, didn't formally lodge a complain with the French, as they supposedly had agreed. That's a bit chicken by Team DK, imho. The reports are very clear and they should honour their promise to the French. France finished 4. Team GB won the silver in the re-run.

Burisleif
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:42 AM
There is no point in lodging a complaint if you're not effected, and the statement by the coach more than makes the point in sporting principle and not protesting illustrates it further. The certain famous British rowers comment that "they should brake it to ensure a restart" was telling enough, and herd on live TV to a whole Nation even if not a listening one. :) No doubt a sporting principle instilled by a certain Jürgen Grobler (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/58335.stm), the team GB Coach who seemed rather satisfied by the latest medal haul, the tally of which given on British television of course didn't include those earned while with his previous employer. The irony of associations of the GB cycling and rowing teams in contrast to the message of "most tested" games is yet again lost on a home public drunk on success and renewed national pride through bling rather than the principles of sportsmanship.

But what would I know, I'm just a F******g W****r and a C**t c2012.BW

All hail the sporting heroes... :)

TennisFan66
Aug 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
If Team DK didn't want to be involved in lodging a complaint together with the French against Team GB, they shouldn't have made the promise. I have read the Danish team captain said, they would have, if Denmark hadn't won the gold medal, but I think it's a poor attitude. If you witness something (and he clearly did with the reports he's given to papers) something illegal, unsporting whatever, isn't it your obligation to report it? Saying 'Team GB should be disqualified, but because we won gold, we can't be bothered' is the wrong approach, imho.

And yes, I am aware of Sir Steve's comments. They were broadcasting to the whole nation, but I don't think there is a single British paper, which has dared printing anything about the controversy in which the re-start came about. They are just celebrating the brave British rowers and how the re-start didn't prevent them from fighting for Olympic glory.

Regrettably I have to agree, Britain is completely high on a medals rush and everyone, who dares to question or say anything, which isn't just pure worship, is branded a 'sour grapes loser'. I have no doubt this will all come back and bite them in the arse ... Well, at least I hope so.

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Argh. The roof is being opened for the atp singles final. :( I think Fed's gonna need as much of a possible edge/advantage if he's win the gold.

TennisFan66
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Adlington sliced almost a second and a half off her qualifying time as she tried to deliver gold for Britain, but Ledecky found a staggering nine-second drop from her own heat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18916977

The American 15 year old has then improved her PB by more than 10 seconds in a few month time.

When asked about possible use of PED at the press conference, she said it was just down to her hard training .. (I suppose she deserves credit for not pointing to her big hands as the explanation, but I think the other swimmers also train hard).

And, Chrissie, this one is an American, who's 'too good to be true'. ;)

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Awfuler is in the house. :rolleyes:

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Fed broken for 2-6 1st set. :( The match is 37 minutes long.

Fed has less winners than Murray (10 vs 11) particularly if you exclude aces & service winners (6 vs 9). :rolleyes:

Fed had 11 unforced errors in the 1st set. :rolleyes: Murray had 6 unforced errors.

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Sigh. Fed broken for 0-2 2nd set at love. :(

Fed with 0 winners 3 unforced errors to start off the 2nd set. :rolleyes:

TennisFan66
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Looks like Murray might finally win a 5 sets final against Fed .. *sighs* .. I hope not, but best to prepare for the worst ..

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Looks like Murray might finally win a 5 sets final against Fed .. *sighs* .. I hope not, but best to prepare for the worst ..
Yah. I've never really counted that much on best of 5 in terms beating Murray though. If Fed plays well and isn't a headcase, he'll probably win.

Losing on a surface other than grass would make me feel a little better.

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Sigh. Fed fails to convert 6 break points as Murray holds for 3-0 2nd set. :(

Fed is 0/8 on break points today and 2/21 over the last 2 matches. :rolleyes:

TennisFan66
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Murray holds .. 3-0 up in 2nd. How pivotal was that? :( ... Fed now has a large hill and two mountains to climb ..

Edit : 4-0 now in 2nd. Whatever, I'm not watching this any longer.

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Fed broken for 0-4 2nd set after being up 40-15. :rolleyes:

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Sigh. Murray holds for 6-1 2nd set at Ad Murray from 15-30 to 30-30 to 30-40 to 40-40. :( The match is 1 hour 23 minutes long.

Fed 5 winners 10 unforced errors in the 2nd set vs 19 winners 8 unforced errors from Fed in the 2nd set of their Wimbledon match. The compareable #s for Muray are 9 winners 9 unforced errors vs 14 winners 4 unforced errors.

terjw
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM
:bounce::bounce: Fantastic win by Murray. So pleased I didn't dare to hope before.

Now get another gold with Laura.

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Awful. Completely freaking awful. :( Murray holds for 6-4 3rd set at 40-15. :(

Fed 9 winners (5 of those are aces) 10 unforced errors in the 3rd set vs 7 winners 2 unforced errors for Murray.

Fed won only 1 points on Murray's serve in the 3rd set (10/10 1st serve pts won, 10/11 2nd serve pts) won. :rolleyes:

Fed 24 winners (9 aces) 31 unforced errors today vs 62 winners (12 aces) 38 unforced errors at Wimbledon
Murray 27 winners (5 aces) 17 unforced errors today vs 46 winners (16 aces) 25 unforced errors at Wimbledon

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM
:bounce::bounce: Fantastic win by Murray. So pleased I didn't dare to hope before.

Now get another gold with Laura.
He should really be thanking Del Potro in his victory speech.

Hopefully he and Robson get demolished in mixed. :p

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM
At least the slams are every year and there's 4 of them. The summer Olympics (winter as well) are every 4 years, so if you don't succeed (whatever would as success for a given athlete/player/team) you have 4 long years to wait before a chance at possible redemption.

bruce goose
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Now get another gold with Laura.Well,I respect Fed's accomplishments greatly;my only beef with him was that pathetic sobfest on Rafa's shoulder at the 2009 AO final....THAT was strictly WTA material.

I would've been happy to see Fed win Gold here...but I'm sincerely glad that Murray got his career-defining moment cuz it might be his ONLY one...and I appreciate with all my heart that Andy ended it in three sets just so that Protoss can stop the live score updates every 30 seconds:rolleyes:!THANK YOU,Andy:worship:

Burisleif
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Played by Andy... Well deserved.

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Well,I respect Fed's accomplishments greatly;my only beef with him was that pathetic sobfest on Rafa's shoulder at the 2009 AO final....THAT was strictly WTA material.

I would've been happy to see Fed win Gold here...but I'm sincerely glad that Murray got his career-defining moment cuz it might be his ONLY one...and I appreciate with all my heart that Andy ended it in three sets just so that Protoss can STFU!!!!! with the live score updates every 30 seconds:rolleyes:!THANK YOU,Andy:worship:
I was hardly live scoring every point and Olympic tennis is an appropriate subject matter for this thread.

Don't be telling me to "stfu". :rolleyes: I should badrep you for that.

TennisFan66
Aug 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Protoss can STFU!!!!! with the live score updates every 30 seconds:rolleyes:

That is just completely uncalled for. Celebrate Murray's win. Fine. But the rest belongs in GM ...

bruce goose
Aug 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I was hardly live scoring every point and Olympic tennis is an appropriate subject matter for this thread.

Don't be telling me to "stfu". :rolleyes: I should badrep you for that.Okay,I'll go back and delete THAT part...and you may do the same if you wish in the portion you cited.......but let me give you three very,very,very simple words: MEN'S TENNIS FORUM

I never go there and can't imagine ever doing so,but I have no doubt at all that Fed has a loyal fan following there and,most assuredly,a live scores thread for his matches.Unless you've been banned from going there,it would spare Caro fans from your endless griping on how the Apocalypse was set to begin every time Fed made an UE....and,technically,this isn't even a purely tennis thread as it's focus is the OLYMPICS and not just the men's final.......If you HONESTLY believe that your 'occasional updates':rolleyes: aren't that bad,then you're delusional enough to join a religious cult

terjw
Aug 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Dream start bu Andy and Laura with a double break and 3-0. But it's early days. Cmon :)

terjw
Aug 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
And they take the 1st set 6-2. :bounce:So far it doesn't get much better but I expect Azarenka & Mirnyi to up their level in the 2nd set.

DownInAHole
Aug 5th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Don't be telling me to "stfu". :rolleyes: I should badrep you for that.

I can sympathise, he went off on me in a similar way during Wimbledon.:hug:

I would hope that we can disagree with each other while still being civil about it. How hard is it to skip posts that are of no interest to you? I don't enjoy reading about cycling, formula one or football but I don't try to discourage people from posting about those topics I just don't read them. Seems like a pretty simple solution that makes everyone happy.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Well,I respect Fed's accomplishments greatly;my only beef with him was that pathetic sobfest on Rafa's shoulder at the 2009 AO final....THAT was strictly WTA material.
I found it endearing, actually. :lol: Great to see that after all he had won it still meant that much to him.

Anyway, of course I'm disappointed that Fed lost, but yes - Murray deserved to win something big. So I was happy for him. But the worrying thing for everyone else now might be that now that he has got that "he can't do it on the biggest stage" monkey of his back he may from now on be even more dangerous at the slams.

DownInAHole
Aug 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I found it endearing, actually. :lol: Great to see that after all he had won it still meant that much to him.

Anyway, of course I'm disappointed that Fed lost, but yes - Murray deserved to win something big. So I was happy for him. But the worrying thing for everyone else now might be that now that he has got that "he can't do it on the biggest stage" monkey of his bag he may from now on be even more dangerous at the slams.

I sure hope so, the ATP desperately needs someone else to start winning slams. After del Potro defeated Federer at the 2009 U.S. Open I thought he might be the one to challenge Federer and Nadal but then he missed a year with the wrist injury and hasn't quite gotten back to where he was pre-injury. Murray has been in a U.S. Open final so there's no reason he can't do well there again this year. With Nadal questionable now is a great time for someone to sneak into the final and maybe get a win.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 5th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I sure hope so, the ATP desperately needs someone else to start winning slams.

I'm ok with Roger winning them for another ten years. ;)

But realistically Fed will probably be a serious contender for another year - maybe two, and then it will be over. Nadal - hard to say with those knees of him. I think that Djokovic and Murray could be the dominant players for the next five years or so, with del Potro perhaps as the number three. Maybe Raonic and/or Tomic will join them at the top as well.

terjw
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Well it wasn't to be 2 golds. I thought the first set was too good to be true. Just the odd point here and there lost the match. Mind you - I was furious with him when on Laura's serve in the 2nd set at 30-30 - he had an easy put away at the net and hit it out. He really needed to help Laura win her seerve. Mirnyi was really intimidating at the net when Vika was serving. And then late in the tie break with a 2nd serve from Vika he needed to get hold of - he made a complete mess of it. Wre really needed that point.

But after it all - WD Andy and Laura. Great effort and they got the silver. Oh and one thing they were saying about Laura is how she kept close to the net and never backed off.

terjw
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:05 PM

But realistically Fed will probably be a serious contender for another year - maybe two, and then it will be over. Nadal - hard to say with those knees of him. I think that Djokovic and Murray could be the dominant players for the next five years or so, with del Potro perhaps as the number three. Maybe Raonic and/or Tomic will join them at the top as well.

Am I the only one here who desperatelty wanted Murray to beat Fed today?

Chrissie-fan
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Well, it's not that I don't like Murray. It's just that I'm a big Fed fan. ;)

DownInAHole
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM

It's really tough to make any predictions, the "new" Federer and Nadal will be coming up soon and may completely displace Djokovich, Murray and del Potro. To use the WTA as an example last year Caroline and Petra looked like they would be battling it out for number one and people were predicting an Evert-Navratilova like rivalry but they have both fallen off significantly. Twelve titles between them last year and this year it looks like they might win zero. The first few months of 2012 Azarenka looked unbeatable but since then she has struggled (by the lofty standards of her start to the year). Things can change in sports in a hurry.

DownInAHole
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Well, I think only five of us (you, me, Protoss, TennisFan66 and Chrissie-fan) voiced an opinion and you seem to be the only one backing Andy so I think "yes" is the answer to your question.

bruce goose
Aug 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I can sympathise, he went off on me in a similar way during Wimbledon.:hug:

I would hope that we can disagree with each other while still being civil about it. How hard is it to skip posts that are of no interest to you? I don't enjoy reading about cycling, formula one or football but I don't try to discourage people from posting about those topics I just don't read them. Seems like a pretty simple solution that makes everyone happy.What a pair of pitiful hypocrites:lol:!!These are two of the people who griped and whined that I was being too cruel to Ivanovic---and that was,at MOST,one post every 3 or 4 days...and that was at least WOMEN'S tennis,nominally speaking.......but it's okay for a couple bozos to monopolize 2 or 3 pages with meaningless crap that has its own separate forum and doesn't even belong here:silly:

....And don't try to recycle that same moronic,b.s. line of manure that you don't have anywhere to chat with Caro fans about men's tennis...as if you needed lots of Caro fans to hold your hand and wipe your ass while blabbing with ATP fans over at MTF:rolleyes:.For that matter,you're not even 'chatting',in the truest sense,when you give a shot-by-shot update from an ATP match...that's a MONOLOGUE,not a CHAT...just a pathetic excuse for you to release whatever nervous tension you feel during the match...that's partly what live scores threads are for,and it's phony to the extreme when you pretend to be chatting to enlighten other posters when that's HARDLY the case......Difference of opinion is one thing;it's another thing entirely when you concoct asinine alibis to justify something you know,deep down,is incorrect

Jimmie48
Aug 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM
So, the Olympics are over as far as tennis is concerned.

It was nice for a change but I have to say I'm glad we`re back to normal WTA business this week.

terjw
Aug 5th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Bruce - I can't believe you are getting upset about Protoss posting a few scores in an Olympic event in a thread on the Olympics. I thought this was where we could speak to fellow Caro fans on Olympics. I certainly wouldn't want to be told that I couldn't make my posts on the tennis in the Olympics here and had to post them on Men's Tennis Forum.

Persionally - I quite liked Protoss posts on the scores actually. But on a deadly serious matter - I am having a think about whether to report Protoss to the mods wanting Murray and Robson to get demolished and I may have to also send the sternest bad rep ever. Unforgivable that and in my black book of naughty posters.:lol:

DownInAHole
Aug 5th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I see that my plea for civility was carefully weighed and given thoughtful consideration.:lol:

bruce goose
Aug 6th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Bruce - I can't believe you are getting upset about Protoss posting a few scores in an Olympic event in a thread on the Olympics. I thought this was where we could speak to fellow Caro fans on Olympics. I certainly wouldn't want to be told that I couldn't make my posts on the tennis in the Olympics here and had to post them on Men's Tennis Forum.

Persionally - I quite liked Protoss posts on the scores actually. But on a deadly serious matter - I am having a think about whether to report Protoss to the mods wanting Murray and Robson to get demolished and I may have to also send the sternest bad rep ever. Unforgivable that and in my black book of naughty posters.:lol:Well,it's true that DIAH was being a textbook hypocrite for rationalizing ad nauseum men's tennis posts after whining about my occasional Ana posts,but the truth is that I'm a lot more pissed off at my car being stolen.

This might be my last month posting here because I could very well catch a murder charge for killing at least one,but probably ALL of my neighbors in one particular house.They didn't actually steal the car yet they served as lookouts for everything.I'm going to kill one of them slowly...pretending to let him live if he tells me the name and location of his thief buddies....and then I'm gonna off his ass,too,of course:lol:....sometimes you've got to MAKE your own justice:armed: when the law won't help you at all.My hope is that only 1 or 2 thieves took part in the actual car theft cuz that means less people to kill;you always increase your odds of getting caught the more frequently you break the law.....I'm sure that many of the cheated athletes wish they could take similar measures to get the medals that their efforts deserved:lol: