PDA

View Full Version : Games of the XXX Olympiad in London opening ceremony thread

NoppaNoppa
Jul 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Worth own thread, me thinks :)

I have watched about dozen of Olympic opening ceremonies and never have I known or quessed who lights the flame! Best kept secret and tradition holds as media is not speculating very hard.

So who will it be? Or whome, as in joint lighting with all four parts of Great Britain? If they go silly, then most popular Briton lights it. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. But that would be awefull. If it is one of Royals, Princess Anne is only choice, at least she has competed in the games. David Beckham? Never played second in olympics. Lennox Lewis or some other boxer? I think Mohammed Ali kinda shut that door. 1948 games winner? One is alive, David Bond. Damn, that surname alone gets a nomination! Britons love their rowing and there is one rower above all. He is my pick. If not the actual olympic flame lighter, he must be in last three or four. Steve Redgreave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Redgrave) is my pick. Sorry Steve, I have never gotten this right! :p

edificio
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I, too, am so curious/anxious/excited to see London's opening ceremony. So many good ones over the years (Athens, Albertville, Torino, Barcelona), but Beijing's masterpiece will be tough to equal, but I hope London's isn't too disjointed (what I've heard worries me).

Wigglytuff
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I can tell you one thing. They won't be as good as the chinese 4 years ago. Communism, like slavery, get shit done, (america for example, or the Egyptian pyramids) Freedom is great, but I doubt very much free people could do a show like that!

I know, I am a terrible person just saying.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I can tell you one thing. They won't be as good as the chinese 4 years ago.

Second that. Impossible to match that amazing display of communism in free world. Hard line lefties must be thrilled :sad:

Damn, North Korea would have even more spectacular opening! Lets give them next games!

ViceUltramontain
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Beijing's ceremony was incredible. London's one will be much different for sure, hope it will be a nice time :cheer:

DragonFlame
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Can't wait for it! :D I love the opening ceremonies. I wanna see all the flagbearers. :bounce: I love scouting the teams for people i know. ^^

Don't forget to join the olympics poule game! :cheer: Click signature.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Beijing was out of this world. Barcelona 1992 wasn´t that bad...

gSA9xUUXj6E

ViceUltramontain
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:41 PM
There was also that incredible part during the Athens 2004 ceremony with the guy running inside the stadium through all the previous olympics cities. Goosebumps.

Chris 84
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:41 PM
can't wait for the opening ceremony. how much money did we spend on that while millions are out of work&failing to make ends meet? :D

ViceUltramontain
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Here :hearts:

U3XWrUQZ-W0

NoppaNoppa
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM
What they used to be... Paavo Nurmi and Helsinki 1952

MRjHQPbJ6m8

..and then he run up the stairs to stadium tower, where Hannes Kolehmainen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannes_Kolehmainen) lit the olympic flame.
Must have been hard for Nurmi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paavo_Nurmi)to play second fiddle. After all, it was Carl Lewis that broke his record, not Hannes Kolehmainen.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 25th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I wonder if I should wake up at 4 AM on a Saturday just to watch the ceremony.:o

njnetswill
Jul 26th, 2012, 12:52 AM
The Chinese ceremony was great not because they were communist but because they weren't relying on tax revenues for funding. The government could spend as much as it wanted without running the risk of irritating the population with tax hikes. Individual-level tax rates in China are very low. It's the corruption at the higher levels that makes everything run.

Anyway, the Chinese are used to putting on spectacles. Every year for the Chinese New Year, there is a big gala that airs on TV that showcases endless performances, acrobatics, dance, etc.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 26th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Anyway, the Chinese are used to putting on spectacles. Every year for the Chinese New Year, there is a big gala that airs on TV that showcases endless performances, acrobatics, dance, etc.

Same happens in North Korea and maybe even Cuba. (lesser extend in Finland...)

One thing is certain. There is zero chance we see anything nearly as spectacular as 4 years ago!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 26th, 2012, 02:52 AM
The Chinese ceremony was great not because they were communist but because they weren't relying on tax revenues for funding. The government could spend as much as it wanted without running the risk of irritating the population with tax hikes. Individual-level tax rates in China are very low. It's the corruption at the higher levels that makes everything run.

I agree but now the problem is Beijing has a ton of eyesores. Someone published, in another thread, the venues that have gone unused and they are horrible looking and very sad to think about how Beijing underutilized those venues.

In a normal city, a post-Olympic plan would have been part of the deal so as not to have so many dumps lying around the town.