PDA

View Full Version : Voula Papachristou: First athlete DQ'd from Games?

Tennis Fool
Jul 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Greece expels Olympic athlete over racist tweets

Published: 40 minutes ago

ATHENS, Greece (AP) - Greece has removed triple jumper Voula Papachristou from the country's team at the London Olympics over her comments on Twitter mocking African immigrants and expressing support for a far-right party.

The Hellenic Olympic Committee says in a statement Wednesday that Papachristou is "placed outside the Olympic team for statements contrary to the values and ideas of the Olympic movement."

Papachristou is in Athens. The committee says she was to travel to London shortly before the track events start.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_284370/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=tJHcoWlE

Javi.
Jul 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM
This was apparently the tweet:
"With so many Africans in Greece… At least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!!!”
So lame :weirdo:

Bye Bitch :bigwave:

Tennis Fool
Jul 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm assuming that these athletes have been prepped on what they can or cannot say in public, including on social media sites like Twitter. Why would she do that? They aren't just representing themselves, but the country they're from.

King Halep
Jul 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Probably she did not even write it, it was done by her agent

Javi.
Jul 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM
It was a racist tweet, but still disqualification from Olympics is a little too much IMO. 4 years of work gone, because of one tweet. :shrug:

It is, but she can only blame her stupidity. Probably she will learn the lesson.
She should have been focused on her competition instead of writing stupid racist tweets, imo.

Djezonfly
Jul 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
It was a racist tweet, but still disqualification from Olympics is a little too much IMO. 4 years of work gone, because of one tweet. :shrug:

This kind of bullshit goes completely against the spirit of the Olympics which is colloboration and unions between nations. What she says/does reflects on her country and the Greek commitee didn't want to be associated with racism. It's a great decision imo.

pierce85
Jul 25th, 2012, 04:12 PM
She's an idiot but expelling her is a bit too much imo. She tried unsuccesfully to make a stupid joke but she should have known better.

It was meant to be a politically incorrect joke but it failed. Strangely, African immigrants are really loved in Greece and they seem to interact really well with the people. They don't face the racism that other ethnic groups face (Albanians,Afghans)

gmak
Jul 25th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Voula :facepalm: :rolleyes: :(

ptkten
Jul 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
It seems a little bit harsh but it's a privilege, not a right to represent your country at the Olympics so the Greek Olympic Committee has the ability to do what they want.

Onslow
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:36 PM
as if greece doesn't have more important things to worry about... :tape:

and the joke isn't even racist, it just refers to geographic origin, not race...

Rocketta
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:48 PM

and the joke isn't even racist, it just refers to geographic origin, not race...

Yes because suggesting the presence of a potentially deadly virus is the fault of one immigrant group is an exercise in showing love and appreciation for people of different origins? :help:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At first I thought the punishment too harsh but then I read the part about the olympic ideals and it made more sense to me... especially considering what a hard time Greece is having now I can see how they are not willing to risk being viewed by the world as one more negative thing, ie .... racist. :shrug:

Anyway, it's a hard lesson but one most learn eventually.... not to write checks with your mouth that your ass can't cash. :tape:

King Halep
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM
i cant decide if this is a brand new moron or a new account of an existing moron. he's been spewing shit from day one

Super Dave
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:00 PM
:facepalm: All that work, down the drain.

pierce85
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Greek Olympic Comitee is very harsh about these things given that the Olympics originate from Greece and they are very adamant about preserving the olympic ideals, but this time they were a bit too harsh

Onslow
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM
the joke would be just as good (or bad) regardless of what race lives at west nile, right?

so which is more discriminatory..
1) telling a bad joke that possibly offended somebody
2) expelling somebody from olympic team for telling a bad joke

edificio
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
This kind of bullshit goes completely against the spirit of the Olympics which is colloboration and unions between nations. What she says/does reflects on her country and the Greek commitee didn't want to be associated with racism. It's a great decision imo.

:yeah:

Kind of sad that she doesn't recognize that kind of shit for what it is and what it says about her.

Chris 84
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM
where's the "bye bitch" gif?

Mynarco
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
stupid, so stupid.

Super Dave
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
where's the "bye bitch" gif?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Bigsteve87/Gifs/ByeBitch.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmk080R7Ej1qazdhko1_500.gif

Richie's
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Really :haha:
BTW, who is she? I just saw this on Wall Street Journal.
Hard but right. Many athletes have "worst" political-patriotic views than her.
Anyway, you have to be, at least, stupid to tweet something like that during OG period.

CillyUltra
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
http://s19.postimage.org/b9fb4c003/image_380587_gallery_V9_sggg_1.jpg

Fallen.

njnetswill
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Golden Dawn supporter :yawn:

hablo
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Great decision; dumb athlete.

All that time and hard work gone to waste; she won't make this mistake again!!! :tape:

Hope other athletes learn from this incident.

égalité
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM

deaddddd :hysteric: yes that's clearly what she meant.

this is a good decision. representing one's country at the olympics is a privilege. someone who publicly makes comments like that doesn't deserve to be a representative for her country. freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

Harry.
Jul 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Such stupidity. All the hard work, gone down the drain in one second of madness :facepalm: Truly beggars belief.

There is just no place for any kind of discrimination in this world. Let alone at the Olympics. Yes, she was childish, she may have not realized the implications and how derogatory that tweet sounded. But statements like this just cannot be tolerated. She isn't just representing herself anymore, she is representing an entire nation. It was a decision the HOC had to take really, and I'm proud of them for doing so.

ranfurly
Jul 26th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Sometimes it's better to be seen and not heard, or atleast keep your thoughts to yourself.

Silly old mole!

wta_zuperfann
Jul 26th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Hey Voula ~

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Bigsteve87/Gifs/ByeBitch.gif

LoLex
Jul 26th, 2012, 01:46 AM
B!tch got what she deserved. The comment she made was extremely disturbing.

RenaSlam.
Jul 26th, 2012, 02:40 AM
:facepalm: All that work, down the drain.

B!tch got what she deserved. The comment she made was extremely disturbing.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7li8w6a2p1qmja9go1_500.gif

We won't miss her.

Ziggy Starduck
Jul 26th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I agree with the punishment :yeah: Furthermore she didn't even actually apologise for the remark, she apologised for embarrassing her friends and fellow athletes :cuckoo: And to refer to the joke as a cafeteria type job is also unacceptable :tape: Zero tolerance!

Super Dave
Jul 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM

We won't miss her.

Thanks for the badrep for my comment :confused: I didn't say she wasn't at fault.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Twitter and Facebook are such potential damaging things to athletes. A lot of athletes just can't help it, or fail to realize what they're typing could create outrage.

dybbuk
Jul 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Another athlete got kicked out. :lol: This time for saying South Koreans are "mentally handicapped retards." What a stupid racist douche. How could you ever do this and expect not to get punished.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/swiss-soccer-racist-tweet-michel-moranella-_n_1719636.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Technology

hellas719
Aug 16th, 2012, 09:12 PM

We won't miss her.

Speak for yourself. I missed her a lot ;)

Such a stupid thing to say even though the punishment was way too harsh. In the end I guess it was the right decision as it saved her from loud jeers but then again the Spanish basketball team and Tommie Smith/John Carlos have done worse things and all they had to do was apologize (which Smith and Carlos did yeas later) and they were off the hook but Voula continued to get harassed on Facebook by ignorant people who know nothing about her or Greece even though she already apologized and was penalized. I mean some of the comments were ridiculous but it was amusing to read :lol:

Anyways I feel bad for Voula because she made one mistake that ruined her life and the "joke" wasn't even that racist and Africans in Greece weren't even offended by it and accepted her apology but African-Americans felt like they were being targeted or something :spit:

And even though I don't support XA, I feel that she was banned because of her views and the HOC used the tweet as an excuse to ban her. IMO an athlete shouldn't be banned for his/her political beliefs even if most people disagree with them.