PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sherman Hemsley (George Jefferson, Deacon Frye)

JN
Jul 24th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Sherman Hemsley Dies at 74

By Maggie Coughlan | Tuesday July 24, 2012 04:40 PM EDT

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/news/120806/sherman-hemsley-1-300.jpg
Sherman Hemsley

Sherman Hemsley, the hot-tempered, upwardly mobile, janitor-turned-dry-cleaner-owner George Jefferson in TV's iconic The Jeffersons, has died at 74.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas, police say. A cause of death was not immediately known.

Introduced each week with the gospel Movin' On Up theme song, Norman Lear's show gave Hemsley a larger-than-life character who delivered a brand of comedy all his own.

Zingers like "If I paid you to think, you could cash your check at the penny arcade!" paired with over-the-top gestures left audiences across the country in stitches. The show has lived on for years in reruns on cable.

The actor, who first played the role in All in the Family – going head to bigoted head with Carroll O'Connor's Archie Bunker – went on to embody a softer character, Deacon Ernest Frye on TV's Amen.

Born in South Philadelphia, Hemsley dropped out of high school to join the Air Force. He returned to Philadelphia and worked for the U.S. Postal Service, while taking acting classes at night.

After performing with local groups in Philadelphia, Hemsley moved to New York to make his Broadway debut as Gitlow in Purlie.

While touring with the production, television writer and producer Lear contacted Hemsley to play the role of Jefferson on his new sitcom, All in the Family. Hemsley hesitated to accept but Lear held the role open for him and two years later, Hemsley joined the cast.

Less than two years after Hemsley made his television debut, he and All in the Family costar Isabel Sanford were given their own spin-off in The Jeffersons. The series earned Hemsley Emmy and Golden Globe nominations in 1984 and 1985 respectively.

Sanford died (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20150639,00.html) in 2004 at age 86.

In 1986, Hemsley was cast as Deacon Ernest Frye in the NBC series, Amen. The role would last five seasons, ending in 1991.

He was also a professional singer and released a single on Sutra Record called "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" in 1989. In 1992, he released Dance, an R&B album.

Although he retired from television acting, Hemsley joined Sanford through the late '90s and early 2000's to reprise their roles as George and Louise "Weezy" Jefferson on guest spots. The duo appeared on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and in commercials for Old Navy, Gap and Denny's.

Hemsley had no wife or children.

(Source (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20614528,00.html))

mykarma
Jul 24th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Sherman Hemsley Dies at 74

By Maggie Coughlan | Tuesday July 24, 2012 04:40 PM EDT

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/people/i/2012/news/120806/sherman-hemsley-1-300.jpg
Sherman Hemsley

Sherman Hemsley, the hot-tempered, upwardly mobile, janitor-turned-dry-cleaner-owner George Jefferson in TV's iconic The Jeffersons, has died at 74.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas, police say. A cause of death was not immediately known.

Introduced each week with the gospel Movin' On Up theme song, Norman Lear's show gave Hemsley a larger-than-life character who delivered a brand of comedy all his own.

Zingers like "If I paid you to think, you could cash your check at the penny arcade!" paired with over-the-top gestures left audiences across the country in stitches. The show has lived on for years in reruns on cable.

The actor, who first played the role in All in the Family – going head to bigoted head with Carroll O'Connor's Archie Bunker – went on to embody a softer character, Deacon Ernest Frye on TV's Amen.

Born in South Philadelphia, Hemsley dropped out of high school to join the Air Force. He returned to Philadelphia and worked for the U.S. Postal Service, while taking acting classes at night.

After performing with local groups in Philadelphia, Hemsley moved to New York to make his Broadway debut as Gitlow in Purlie.

While touring with the production, television writer and producer Lear contacted Hemsley to play the role of Jefferson on his new sitcom, All in the Family. Hemsley hesitated to accept but Lear held the role open for him and two years later, Hemsley joined the cast.

Less than two years after Hemsley made his television debut, he and All in the Family costar Isabel Sanford were given their own spin-off in The Jeffersons. The series earned Hemsley Emmy and Golden Globe nominations in 1984 and 1985 respectively.

Sanford died (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20150639,00.html) in 2004 at age 86.

In 1986, Hemsley was cast as Deacon Ernest Frye in the NBC series, Amen. The role would last five seasons, ending in 1991.

He was also a professional singer and released a single on Sutra Record called "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" in 1989. In 1992, he released Dance, an R&B album.

Although he retired from television acting, Hemsley joined Sanford through the late '90s and early 2000's to reprise their roles as George and Louise "Weezy" Jefferson on guest spots. The duo appeared on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and in commercials for Old Navy, Gap and Denny's.

Hemsley had no wife or children.

(Source (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20614528,00.html))

George doing the slop.
aQQfv9kg48k

ico4498
Jul 24th, 2012, 11:43 PM
RIP funny guy.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 24th, 2012, 11:52 PM
true comedian :awww: will be missed

Wigglytuff
Jul 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Awww, may he rest in peace. Amen was one of the shows I watched that helped me learn English.

JN
Jul 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM
George doing the sloop.
aQQfv9kg48k

LOL! That's what it's called? ;)

Slammer7
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:48 AM
RIP Sherman. :sad:

He was so much younger than the characters he played on the Jefferson's and Amen. :eek: Those two shows were a big part of my childhood and there really will never be anything like Saturday nights in the 80's on NBC. That was appointment television for the whole family. :hearts:

He's finally in that Deeeeeluxxxxe Apartment in the sky now. :sad:

mykarma
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:25 AM
LOL! That's what it's called? ;)
It's actually called the slop not sloop.

miffedmax
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Weezey!

We've lost a lot of great entertainers here recently.

JN
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:52 AM
RIP Sherman. :sad:

He was so much younger than the characters he played on the Jefferson's and Amen. :eek: Those two shows were a big part of my childhood and there really will never be anything like Saturday nights in the 80's on NBC. That was appointment television for the whole family. :hearts:

He's finally in that Deeeeeluxxxxe Apartment in the sky now. :sad:

Word. Isabel Sanford who played Hemsley's wife, 'Louise Jefferson,' on the show, was 21 years older than him. And he was only 10 years older than the woman who played his daughter on 'Amen.' Maybe it was the prematurely balding head. :lol:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/The_Jeffersons_Sanford_Hemsley_Evans_1974.jpg/200px-The_Jeffersons_Sanford_Hemsley_Evans_1974.jpg

Rocketta
Jul 25th, 2012, 05:55 AM
awwww, RIP George! :angel:

The scenes with him and Archie Bunker were hysterical!

Rocketta
Jul 25th, 2012, 05:59 AM
George doing the slop.
aQQfv9kg48k

Get Down with Get Down, George! :lol: :hearts:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/The_Jeffersons_Sanford_Hemsley_Evans_1974.jpg/200px-The_Jeffersons_Sanford_Hemsley_Evans_1974.jpg

I loved that Lionel! :hearts:

I also found it interesting how Sherman and Isabelle really couldn't stand each other... maybe it was the age difference, maybe it was because George was probably a homosexual, or maybe it was just a general personality clash... I don't know but they had such great chemistry on the show it's quite amazing considering...

Super Dave
Jul 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM
One of my all-time favorite TV characters. This is a sad day. :sad:

Word. Isabel Sanford who played Hemsley's wife, 'Louise Jefferson,' on the show, was 21 years older than him. And he was only 10 years older than the woman who played his daughter on 'Amen.' Maybe it was the prematurely balding head. :lol:

I still can't believe that. You wouldn't know by watching the show.

Bijoux0021
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM

I didn't realize there was such a big age difference between him and Isabel Sanford. :speakles:

I love all his shows. I still watch them in reruns. It's laughing out loud when George Jefferson and Archie Bunker in "All in the Family" start insulting each other. Those characters are simply classics. :worship:

RIP, Mr. Sherman.

saul1333
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
One of the funniest people on TV.

God rest his soul.

JN
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:47 PM
TZtkq4nOSAo

Super Dave
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM
^ Oh my God :lol: Never knew about that one. Gotta love '70s lipsynching.

Sherman :bowdown:

JN
Jul 25th, 2012, 03:08 PM
^ Oh my God :lol: Never knew about that one. Gotta love '70s lipsynching.

Sherman :bowdown:

Useless Trivia: Don Cornelius wouldn't allow performers on if they didn't agree to lip sync, which is why Earth, Wind & Fire never appeared on Soul Train.

KarlyM*
Jul 25th, 2012, 11:33 PM
:awww:

doni1212
Jul 26th, 2012, 04:06 AM
RIP Sherman.