PDA

View Full Version : Gay Cruising App Grindr Crashes After Olympians Arrive In London

Harry.
Jul 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM
A gay dating website crashed within minutes of the first Olympic athletes arriving in London – due to the volume of demand, say experts.

The Grindr app enables gay men to obtain the locations of potential homosexual partners.

Technicians believe the arrival of Olympic teams on Monday sparked a flood of new customers – and loss of the service in East London.

One Londoner said: “It happened almost as soon as the teams got here. Either loads of athletes were logging on to meet fellow Olympians or were looking to bag a local.

“The Grindr system obviously couldn’t cope. It took 24 hours for the app to get back up and running, much to the relief of all concerned.”

The site was launched in 2009 and claims to have four million customers worldwide.

London is the most popular city for the app, with 350,000 registered users. The website *advertises itself as a way to find “a new date, *buddy or friend”.

Founder Joel Simkhai said in Los Angeles: “I want to personally *apologize to users.

“I know it was *frustrating. I was *frustrated myself. I also rely on Grindr in my day-to-day personal life. It made me feel disconnected.

“Our tech team worked around the clock to solve the problems and to whip Grindr back into shape.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grindr-to-a-halt-gay-dating-website-1153495

:oh::haha:

Mikey.
Jul 24th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I read this too. :tears: There's only like 20 out athletes and 3 of them are male I think. :crying2:

ukneecorn
Jul 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM
So does that mean a lot of the Olympians are gay ? Or a lot of gay guys from the area flooded Grindr to try and get some with the athletes ?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I have noticed several new 'bodies' and messages pop up on Grindr and Bender in my area after this happened :lol:

Serenus Christ
Jul 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I call bs.
Athletes aren't the only people arriving in London right now.
Do you really think they'd waste four years or training and a whole lifetime of dreams on a quick fuck?

ukneecorn
Jul 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM
This may be Grindr's way of getting come cheap publicity. Crash their server and then blame it on the arrival of Olympian athletes.

Talula
Jul 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I call bs.
Do you really think they'd waste four years or training and a whole lifetime of dreams on a quick fuck?

I think you'll find most men will risk anything at anytime for a quick fuck.

eck
Jul 24th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I call bs.

Well, they did request a load of condoms. :angel:

Adrian.
Jul 24th, 2012, 10:59 PM

this :haha:

Drake1980
Jul 24th, 2012, 11:31 PM
:spit:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM
OMG I'm seriously loling right now!

Melange
Jul 25th, 2012, 04:35 AM
A mess!

DragonFlame
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:02 AM
So... who here is actually on Grindr? :oh:

matthias
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:40 AM
So... who here is actually on Grindr? :oh:

i should download is ASAP and log in as London to check out the hot athlets :p

Pops Maellard
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I call bs.
Not all events go for the whole Olympics :oh:. After they're over, they can fuck fuck fuck away :lol:.

Shonami Slam
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM
i want to be in london now.

Yoncé
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7pxkohniK1qdkrbko1_500.jpg

At least they found a way past it :shrug:

Mattographer
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Canadian men :drool:

:oh:

Serenus Christ
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Olympians really didn't crash Grindr

Summary: It makes for a funny story to blame your server outages on a popular event like the Olympics, but the real explanation is usually much more mundane.

A UK news report blaming the arrival of Olympic athletes in London for the server troubles plaguing gay location-based social app Grindr sounds very exciting, but the truth is much less sexy.

Grindr is an iOS and Android app that has mastered the fine art of connecting gay guys with other gay guys in their area, often for casual sex. It was launched in 2009 and has over 4 million users globally.

Over the weekend, The People reported that the hordes of fit, young athletes piling into London was the reason why Grindr had been having so much trouble lately.

According to "technicians" quoted in the story, the arrival of Olympians caused a "flood of new customers" for the service in the city, and crashed it. Given the main function of the app, you can see why tying Grindr's ongoing server troubles to a massive event like the Olympics makes for an interesting and click-baity story.

But a lot of people were cynical about the story. Especially those who don't live in London and do use Grindr, which, globally, has had its share of connectivity problems recently as well.

And, unsurprisingly, it is all untrue. Overnight, The Atlantic reported that Grindr had confirmed that it wasn't the Olympics that had led to troubles with the app.

"While we'd love to believe that the best-built men in the world, all dressed up in Lycra and congregating in one place can generate a huge increase in Grindr traffic, we can say, with confidence, that the arrival of the Olympic teams had little or no effect on our server," Grindr told The Atlantic. "The truth is that there are many factors that cause a technological service disruption."

In a blog post last week, Grindr founder Joel Simkhai said that the company had the problem under control and had put in measures to stop it happening again.

"One of my number one priorities as Grindr's CEO is to make sure that the app remains stable and — quite simply — that it's working. So when we discovered that wasn't the case, we immediately set to work fixing the screw-up. The service disruption was a challenging thing to address, but our tech team worked around the clock to solve the problems and to whip Grindr back into shape."

Simkhai said that the company will look to release a new version of the app soon.

So I guess that old rule still applies: if it sounds too good to be true, chances are, it probably is.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2r7phzVuN1qdejcbo1_500.gif

HippityHop
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM

There's a lot of truth in this. Just think of all the famous guys who have gotten caught up and you say WTF? :confused:

And let's not even think about the anonymous guys.