PDA

View Full Version : Mariah Carey joins 'American Idol'

debopero
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Mariah Carey joins 'American Idol'
by James Hibberd

Paula Abdul, Jennifer Lopez and now … Mariah Carey.
Fox just made it official: Carey is the latest successful pop diva to join American Idol. The 42-year-old will join the judges table for season 12.

As reported in this week’s issue of EW, Carey has been the leading contender to join the panel this summer, which has seen a flurry of celebrity names floated in the press as possible candidates. Her salary is expected to be somewhere north of $12 million — the sum paid Jennifer Lopez during her first year on the show — and possibly as high as $17 million.

Previously, Simon Cowell was courting Carey as a mentor for X Factor’s second season, though it’s not clear if her Idol announcement precludes an appearance on Fox’s other show.

GET MORE EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 33¢ an issue!
“It’s the biggest recording artist than any of these shows have ever had,” Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly told critics at their press tour in Beverly Hills. “It’s an artist many of these contestants have tried to emulate. [The deal] only concluded only hours ago. Not being the only game in town we need to keep things fresh.”
The move comes on the heels of Steven Tyler exiting the hit singing competition, and Fox being unable to convince Lopez to sign on for a third round. Reilly also finally confirmed Lopez’ exit. The singer was holding out for a raise beyond her $15 million second-year salary and took to the media to proclaim that she was almost certainly leaving the show. If there was a slight chance of Lopez staying before, it vanished once Fox signed Carey — Fox won’t pay for two high-priced female vocalists.

Earlier in the morning, Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe (who’s not involved in the judges talks) expressed hope that Lopez would change her mind. “I was really upset to hear of Steven leaving us and the possibility of Jennifer leaving us. She did say ’99 percent.’ Strange thing to say, ’99 percent.’ You’re either leaving or not leaving. I’m hoping she’s not leaving.” Lythgoe is involved in his own negotiations to return to the show and insiders expect he’ll stay on board.
Despite some reports to the contrary, veteran judge Randy Jackson (who, as it so happens, is Carey’s manager and was involved in her negotiations) is now expected to stay on board, though nothing has yet been announced. Either way, Fox is expected to now focus on its search for another male judge. One dark horse (and attractively low budget) candidate is former American Idol contestant Adam Lambert.
Fox’s decision to shake up Idol was effectively made months ago. In recent years, changing Idol‘s panel has typically resulted in a ratings spike, at least at the start of the season. For this year’s 11th season, Fox decided to leave the panel unchanged from the previous year and the series suffered the largest ratings drop in the show’s history. Though the show’s audience was still huge, averaging 18 million viewers per week, ratings were down 23 percent. What do you think? Will Mariah Carey improve Idol‘s ratings?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/23/mariah-carey-american-idol/

M.S.F
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
They should stop the show for something like two years and make some changes.
It's getting so boring :o
But Mariah is a good choice.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. This new era is gonna be so good. Her single is dropping in August too. :devil:

Mariah vs Britney vs Floptina. American Idol vs X Factor vs The Voice. I'm living. :sobbing::sobbing: Messiah is gonna be the shadiest judge ever.

debopero
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Now if they could just get Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/report-aretha-franklin-wants-to-be-a-judge-on-american-idol-20120715) to join too. :haha: Poor Randy.

ptkten
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm happy with this news because it will keep Idol relevant. I don't care what anyone says, it's still the best format because you actually get to know and care about the singers. They have so many more performances than the other shows. Plus, the talent is still the best. I was worried though if they didn't get good replacement judges that it would start to slip behind the other shows.

delicatecutter
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
She'll be really good! :cheer: Very curious to see who they end up getting for the third judge.

Smith Saybrook
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Major news. Just as adding Britney has gotten me excited to see X Factor this has got me jazzed for AI.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

supergrunt
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Now if they could just get Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/report-aretha-franklin-wants-to-be-a-judge-on-american-idol-20120715) to join too. :haha: Poor Randy.

I can here Patti screaming on a Soup clip now. :lol:

edificio
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just need to get rid of Randy Jackson and country music winners now.

ukneecorn
Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
I think the show is beyond help. Adding a new judge won't stop it from flopping.

WTAtennisfan15
Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Mariah will obviously use it to promote her new album!
Her new song TRIUMPHANT will be out early August! :)
Randy has brought her to Idol!

ukneecorn
Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
How much money is she getting ? If she were getting more than Britney we would have heard about it.

debopero
Jul 23rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
$17 million.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/mariah-carey-paid-17-million-as-new-american-idol-judge-less-than-predecessor-jlo-78731/

WowWow
Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM

Patti ain't no sidekick. How dare she! :mad:

WowWow
Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
$17 million.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/mariah-carey-paid-17-million-as-new-american-idol-judge-less-than-predecessor-jlo-78731/

:worship:

mimi's gonna be great :cheer:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
This is relevant.

swkjXvK0JrQ&start=10

ukneecorn
Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Apparently the $17 million story is a lie. She is getting 12 million for this gig.

KarlyM*
Jul 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Now this is gonna be some funny sh!t. Mimi is such a diva. :oh: :lol:

Jane Lane
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Flop Idol.

This show is passed its peak and will never win a grand slam.

Inger67
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
A lot better than Jennifer Lopez IMO :cheer:

Inger67
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Apparently the $17 million story is a lie. She is getting 12 million for this gig.

That makes more sense because that's what Jennifer Lopez had in her contract to, or at least that's what she would have had if she went through with it.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
Bad choice.:o Oh well, at least she's getting paid to promote her album/singles.:oh:

The Dawntreader
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM
At least she can hide her post-pregnancy body under that huge desk. She's so smart.

McPie
Jul 24th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Bad choice.:o Oh well, at least she's getting paid to promote her album/singles.:oh:

why so late, Uncle Benny? :p

debopero
Jul 24th, 2012, 03:42 AM
This is relevant.

swkjXvK0JrQ&start=10

:lol: This is funny although I am not sure she meant that as a diss...I think :unsure: .

Maddox
Jul 24th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Simon says he think she is too sweet and won't be able to say No easily.

NeeemZ
Jul 24th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I don't blame her for doing this because it's easy publicity and if it could help revive J-Lo's music career, it could revive her career once again.

In saying that, this show does need to wrap up. Has anyone made a name for themselves since Adam Lambert?

Mikey.
Jul 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Less Idol more decent new music.

Mary Cherry.
Jul 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Flop Idol.

This show is passed its peak and will never win a grand slam.

This. I stopped watching years ago when the live shows were becoming full of coffee shop singers.

I'm surprised they had enough $$$ to bring Mariah in to be honest.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 24th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I just hope she won't be like just "you know I'm a fan of yours, you sing pretty good " kind of comments and stuff, I hope she can show more technical side of the performances, even can demonstrate herself.:cheer:

Break My Rapture
Jul 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Messiah doesn't need Idol. :o Wish she'd concentrate on getting that "Triumphant" lead single out.

Super Dave
Jul 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Good choice.

ptkten
Jul 24th, 2012, 01:46 PM
This. I stopped watching years ago when the live shows were becoming full of coffee shop singers.

I'm surprised they had enough $$$ to bring Mariah in to be honest.

There's no denying American Idol has some problems but I don't know how people can say it's a flop or a bad decision for Mariah. It's still the most watched show on American television so if the Voice and the X Factor have the money to bring in big names, American Idol definitely would have the money. Plus, even though the winners of Idol sometimes get trashed they still sell far more records than the winners of the Voice and X-Factor winners have so far, Phillip last season's winner's first record went gold already.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah let's see how the winners of The Voice and X Factor has done so far.:oh:

WonderfulLee
Jul 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM
It's still the highest rated show on American television so if the Voice and the X Factor have the money to bring in big names, American Idol definitely would have the money. Sometimes the winners haven't been that great but the overall talent pool is still by far the best of any of the competition shows in the U.S.

this!

actually AI winners of the last two season doing quite well on the sales and chart compare to The Voice or other talent show.

according to TMZ, they paid Mariah 18 Million! :eek:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
this!

actually AI winners of the last two season doing quite well on the sales and chart compare to The Voice or other talent show.

according to TMZ, they paid Mariah 18 Million! :eek:
*Glitter* :scared:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM
female vocalistS?

Stamp Paid
Jul 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
:lol: This is funny although I am not sure she meant that as a diss...I think :unsure: .Ch....:lol:
That was some premium shade.

Mikey.
Jul 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Messiah doesn't need Idol. :o Wish she'd concentrate on getting that "Triumphant" lead single out.

Totally :o

Stamp Paid
Jul 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm sure there is a marketing strategy behind her album release and tenure on Idol.

Gdsimmons
Jul 24th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Mariah is very smart. At first I was like American Idol? Fuck that. But then I thought about it. Her single is dropping next month. By the time January rolls around and Idol starts airing live, her album will either already be out or nearing its release. Easy promotion. 2 days a week EVERY week for like 5 months. No brainer when you think about it like that.

I havent watched AI in like 6 years but I will definitely tune in to see Mariah. I think she's gonna give really good feedback. And its Mariah on LIVE tv. I just remember the awesomeness that was her appearance on HSN. If that was any indication, then its gonna be a good season

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Mariah is very smart. At first I was like American Idol? Fuck that. But then I thought about it. Her single is dropping next month. By the time January rolls around and Idol starts airing live, her album will either already be out or nearing its release. Easy promotion. 2 days a week EVERY week for like 5 months. No brainer when you think about it like that.

I havent watched AI in like 6 years but I will definitely tune in to see Mariah. I think she's gonna give really good feedback. And its Mariah on LIVE tv. I just remember the awesomeness that was her appearance on HSN. If that was any indication, then its gonna be a good season

don't get your hopes up bb :lol: all judges fall into the same routine of "you're so beautiful", "you can do no wrong", or if it's undeniably bad "it wasn't your night but you're still beautiful"

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Nice! Won't be enough to get me watching again though ;).

Kairi
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:30 AM
:cheer: finally, a reason to watch this flop show again.
:lol: This is funny although I am not sure she meant that as a diss...I think :unsure: .

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7o9m6dMos1qdxtsm.gif

Charlatan
Jul 25th, 2012, 05:04 AM
^^ :rolls:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Gonna tune into the show again just to see her. She's gonna be the shadiest judge ever. :hearts:

Drake1980
Jul 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM
:eek: Pretty shocking!

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM

lsRHdLgpmEA
I actually foresee her talking about the contestant's style and then talk about her 500 hours of beauty school.:haha:

WonderfulLee
Jul 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM
promo picture :oh:

http://wpc.4d27.edgecastcdn.net/004D27/Misc/MariahCareyAmericanIdol/Mariah+Carey+American+Idol+1.jpg

Kairi
Jul 27th, 2012, 12:37 AM
:hearts: werk
http://i.imgur.com/yOqKu.gif

Gdsimmons
Jul 27th, 2012, 02:41 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/15yw5g5.gif

Ah Mariah already doing it on 'em already!