PDA

View Full Version : Olympian and fighter Ronda Rousey calls out Michael Phelps’ behavior in Beijing

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:23 AM
Olympian and fighter Ronda Rousey calls out Michael Phelps’ behavior in Beijing
By Maggie Hendricks | Fourth-Place Medal – 3 hours ago

Rousey after winning her medal in Beijing. (Getty)Before becoming an MMA fighter and the Strikeforce bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey made her name by winning a bronze medal in judo at the Beijing Olympics. In a recent interview with Elie Seckbach, she talked about how great it was for all Olympians, no matter the stature, to get together and have fun.

Well, almost all Olympians. There was one Olympian who didn't want to mingle: Michael Phelps.

Rousey said while at a party for all American Olympians, the athletes happily mingled together. NBA players hung with the rest of the group, but Phelps had his own area that was just for his group.

"These NBA players are a bigger deal than this guy, and they're hanging out with us. We're teammates. We're not a bunch of groupies. Come hang out with us," Rousey said.

She said it was a similar set-up when Team USA visited "The Oprah Winfrey Show," which rubbed her the wrong way.

"I don't like being somebody's teammate and being treated like I'm a groupie. I didn't even want to go out of my way to say hello to that guy. Get over yourself. All you do is swim. If someone slapped you every time you jumped in the pool, I might have a little respect, but I was a swimmer before I did this stuff, and you can't tell me that swimming is OH MY GOD, because it's not."

Rousey isn't the first athlete to criticize Phelps, who can break Larissa Latynina's all-time medal record with three medals in London. Fellow swimmer Tyler Clary questioned Phelps' work ethic after the Olympic Trials.

moby
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
That's the way most top athletes work. Jealous bitch.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:27 AM
That's the way most top athletes work. Jealous bitch.
WOW she didn't seem jealous to me. She won an Olympic medal and is doing fine in her career so what does she have to be jealous about. I think her post was clear and it was that Phelps thought he was above the other athletics and that even the dream team all hung around with their fellow Americans. Actually it's no big deal.

plantman
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Who?

Acting like she's a household name!:lol:

plantman
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
WOW she didn't seem jealous to me. She won an Olympic medal and is doing fine in her career so what does she have to be jealous about. I think her post was clear and it was that Phelps thought he was above the other athletics and that even the dream team all hung around with their fellow Americans. Actually it's no big deal.

Big enough deal for you however!:tape:

Monzanator
Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Rousey is playing her act to get more exposure towards female MMA. After Carano left the building they need another girl to make the nationwide impression and quite frankly she's the best grappler in the business so all eyes are on her anyway :shrug:

King Halep
Jul 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
gurl sit down

Onslow
Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:03 AM
she does sound like a groupie...

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
she does sound like a groupie...
The girl was answering questions in an interview and let's not forget that a couple of Phelps teammates have called him out. To bad that still today when women speak out they're vilified.

Wigglytuff
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Phelps seemed like a douche to me from jump. Acting like he's the GOAT, please bitch, you ain't no Michael Jordan. You ain't even Coco the Norfolk Terrier dog.

King Halep
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Greatest Olympian of all time :)

He did the impossible. Yes, he does not play US pro sports so he can never be the greatest sportsman, or even top ten according to US sports media, heck Im sure Tom Brady and LeBron kick his ass.

duhcity
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
lol the NBA stars stay in 5 star hotels, not the Olympic village. Already disbelieving what's being said

Mikey.
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Phelps seemed like a douche to me from jump. Acting like he's the GOAT, please bitch, you ain't no Michael Jordan. You ain't even Coco the Norfolk Terrier dog.

This. :lol: He always seemed like an arrogant douchebag to me.

King Halep
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
"These NBA players are a bigger deal than this guy, and they're hanging out with us. We're teammates. We're not a bunch of groupies. Come hang out with us," Rousey said.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/images/smilies2/Bert.gif

King Halep
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
This. :lol: He always seemed like an arrogant douchebag to me.

and most of the NBA stars are not arrogant douchebags?

Mikey.
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM

They sure are. :lol:

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
lol the NBA stars stay in 5 star hotels, not the Olympic village. Already disbelieving what's being said
What does them staying in a hotel have to do with anything? These guys need different accommodations. If a male basketball player is 6'0, that's short while the beds at Olympic Village are like college sized twin beds. In addition if I was rich I'd also have my own private suite.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
You're kidding right.

Onslow
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM

nba players are just dudes who happened to grow big. and phelps is a guy who swims like a fish because he has trained like a dog since small kid ;)

Wiggly
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Well, most professional superstars like tennis and basketball players will hardly mingle in the Village.

If Djokovic or Sharapova win a medal, they may go party the night away in their country's GQ but that's about it.

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
The girl was answering questions in an interview and let's not forget that a couple of Phelps teammates have called him out. To bad that still today when women speak out they're vilified.

What? :lol:

Anyway what's the point on speaking out NOW? She obviously wants the attention. :shrug:

harloo
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:20 PM

I'm sorry but she's right about that aspect of it. NBA star players in the US are much bigger than Michael Phelps. He's only relevant when it's time for the Olympics and while he's an household name nobody really checks for him until the Olympics roll around.

I'm pretty sure Michael is a bit of a douche bag but not all athletes are social butterfly's who want to hang out with the entire team. Ronda has no right getting upset or to criticize Michael because he doesn't mingle with the other athletes. In life you learn that some people are social misfits and are only comfortable with their own crew. It's not even that serious.

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Ronda has no right getting upset or criticize Michael because he doesn't mingle with the other athletes. In life you learn that some people are social misfits and are only comfortable with their own crew. It's not even that serious.

Exactly.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
What? :lol:

Anyway what's the point on speaking out NOW? She obviously wants the attention. :shrug:
Quite simple it's the Olympics and she was interview.

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Quite simple it's the Olympics and she was interview.

In other words she wanted attention.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
So anyone that gets interviewed is looking for attention?

King Halep
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Phelps is most probably not very outgoing or maybe he just wanted a quiet corner to smoke his bong

NyCPsU
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Rousey is playing her act to get more exposure towards female MMA. After Carano left the building they need another girl to make the nationwide impression and quite frankly she's the best grappler in the business so all eyes are on her anyway :shrug:

This is the most accurate post in this mess of a thread.

Why is this even news/cause for discussion?

Who give a shit who he hangs around?

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
So anyone that gets interviewed is looking for attention?

Not everyone. I just see no other point on disclosing this now, do you? People who are looking for attention will start a controversy with quotes like these.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Not everyone. I just see no other point on disclosing this now, do you? People who are looking for attention will start a controversy.
Maybe she was asked a question. It's not as though she told people he was smoking a blunt.

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Maybe she was asked a question. It's not as though she told people he was smoking a blunt.

She basically takes a dig at the whole sport of swimming there though. She is probably jelous that he got all the attention for his medals for a sport she feels is not as demanding as the martial arts.

harloo
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM

I don't think she cares about getting attention but perceived Michael not mingling with the other athletes as a slight. She was just speaking her mind and her assumption could possibly be wrong.

Maybe it wasn't about arrogance at all but instead about him staying to himself and only really talking to his circle of friends. I've been in situations where that was the case and at first I had to admit it offended me but I learned that's how some people are when surrounded by large groups of people. Everybody isn't outgoing and will talk to just anybody.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
She basically takes a dig at the whole sport of swimming there though. She is probably jelous that he got all the attention for his medals for a sport she feels is not as demanding as the martial arts.
What about the other two guys on the swim team that called him out this year. Women's sport will never get the attention that men's sports get and I'm sure she's happy that she medaled at the Olympics.

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
What about the other two guys on the swim team that called him out this year. Women's sport will never get the attention that men's sports get and I'm sure she's happy that she medaled at the Olympics.

"Get over yourself. All you do is swim. If someone slapped you every time you jumped in the pool, I might have a little respect, but I was a swimmer before I did this stuff, and you can't tell me that swimming is OH MY GOD, because it's not."

Her bitterness is evident. Even if her claims are true (and I think they are) all I see here is professional jealousy.

King Halep
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
"Get over yourself. All you do is swim. If someone slapped you every time you jumped in the pool, I might have a little respect, but I was a swimmer before I did this stuff, and you can't tell me that swimming is OH MY GOD, because it's not."

Her bitterness is evident. Even if her claims are true (and I think they are) all I see here is professional jealousy.

She is trying to minimise his achievements. Its remarkable. Maybe he does not get slapped around, but he burns 4000 calories a day.

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM

If you say so. :eek:

Nicolás89
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
If you say so. :eek:

:help: If you honestly can't see it.

duhcity
Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
What does them staying in a hotel have to do with anything? These guys need different accommodations. If a male basketball player is 6'0, that's short while the beds at Olympic Village are like college sized twin beds. In addition if I was rich I'd also have my own private suite.

It has to do with the fact that they don't particularly like to "mingle" with the other athletes either. As if bed sizes aren't something that could be easily arranged if they truly wanted to live in the village. Phelps is definitely not the only athlete guilty of this, but this article makes it seem like that.

JustPetko
Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Why I am not shocked? :shrug:

mykarma
Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
It has to do with the fact that they don't particularly like to "mingle" with the other athletes either. As if bed sizes aren't something that could be easily arranged if they truly wanted to live in the village. Phelps is definitely not the only athlete guilty of this, but this article makes it seem like that.
HUH?

wta_zuperfann
Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Strange as it may seem, Phelps does have a severe case of attention deficit and he gets nervous in front of crowds. This is a medical condition, not necessarily a sign of bad character. This is why he stands apart from others.

edificio
Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I don't get why she brought this up. It makes her sound petty. :shrug:

I never heard of her anyway.

jrm
Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
NBA players were probably only hanging around because of good-looking girls :rolleyes:

wta_zuperfann
Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
I don't get why she brought this up. It makes her sound petty. :shrug:

I never heard of her anyway.

It's the old story ~ controversy creates ca$h. There are a lot of devout Christians and other religious practitioners on the team and elsewhere who, no doubt, are not happy with her posing in the nude but none have made any public expression of what some may deem to be misbehavior. Therefore, she should keep her mouth shut.

moby
Jul 23rd, 2012, 05:28 AM
The irony is that the OP is a Williams sisters fan? So she should know a thing or two about how some athletes like to keep to within their circles even if that means others perceive them as being aloof.

Morning Morgan
Jul 23rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
14 gold medals baby :kiss:

Sean.
Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
He's entitled to keep himself to himself if he wants to. :shrug:

Cilla
Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM

Exactly. He can do as he pleases. None of her business or concern.

mykarma
Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
I agree and she's entitled to speak out on it if she thinks he's a jerk or whatever. I'd love to see the interview to see what question she was asked. I'm sure Phelps could care less about what she thinks of him.

Ryan
Jul 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Never liked Phelps OR Rousey. :lol: He comes across as a coddled diva, and she seems like an attention-starved wannabe. Anyway, can't fault her for wanting everyone to hang out together, and can't fault him for wanting to do his own thing, but I don't like either of them.