PDA

View Full Version : BOMBSHELL: Antalya more visited than NYC!!

chingching
Jul 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM
Antalya was the 3rd most visited place in the world in 2011, behind Paris and London repectively, squeezing out NYC by 200,000 people (10.5 Million to 10.3 Million. I don't think they need the 10Ks anymore to bring money to the region :lol:

I hadn't even heard of it before I joined tennisforum :lol:

Sammo
Jul 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
I thought Antalya's a region :scratch:

I believe you're thinking in Anatolia. Anyway this is crazy, I don't think I had heard of Antalya either before I joined TF :lol: I'm watching photos of it right now and it looks really beautiful.

Simugna Help
Jul 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM
I thought Antalya's a region :scratch:

I think Antalya is the capital of the region Antalya.;)

Uranus
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:19 PM
Antalya is one of the most visited regions by Western Europeans. They practically only have 4 or 5-star hotels with all-inclusive formulas, which are very cheap. Pure farniente.

chingching
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Antalya is one of the most visited regions by Western Europeans. They practically only have 4 or 5-star hotels with all-inclusive formulas, which are very cheap. Pure farniente.

WOW!!
My friend just came back from France, Istanbul and a cruise in the Greek Islands and he had never even heard of the place :shrug: I went to Izmir though :)

CatTs
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Not surprised at all :p

dsanders06
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
:scratch:

~{X}~
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
New York City did not just have 10.3 million people visit last year? I'm confused?

New York City had 50.5 million people visit in 2011.

Maybe it was just international visitors? I don't know... I looked at various different websites and they are all claiming different things. :lol:

Miracle Worker
Jul 21st, 2012, 07:00 PM
They need more ITFs :cheer:

karub
Jul 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
I live in Antalya :)

Sammo
Jul 21st, 2012, 08:35 PM
Also whoever wrote that in Antalya's Wikipedia article didn't provide the source.

Novichok
Jul 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Wow. Never heard of this place until I saw this thread.

chingching
Jul 22nd, 2012, 01:09 AM
New York City did not just have 10.3 million people visit last year? I'm confused?

New York City had 50.5 million people visit in 2011.

Maybe it was just international visitors? I don't know... I looked at various different websites and they are all claiming different things. :lol:

International visitors including day visits
But BTW, New York did not have 50 Million visitors :lol:

Novichok
Jul 22nd, 2012, 01:20 AM
International visitors including day visits
But BTW, New York did not have 50 Million visitors :lol:

10 million international visitors + 40 million domestic visitors.

chingching
Jul 22nd, 2012, 01:30 AM
10 million international visitors + 40 million domestic visitors.

40 Million domestic visitors=False
Maybe if you include those coming in from Newark etc. for a day or something like that, or going to a Basketball, Baseball or Hockey game then maybe, but when I lived in New York for 2 Months there were not that many obvious tourists from the rest of America. Yes I was in Long Island which is a less visited burrow, but still :shrug:

Jane Lane
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:07 AM
40 Million domestic visitors=False
Maybe if you include those coming in from Newark etc. for a day or something like that, or going to a Basketball, Baseball or Hockey game then maybe, but when I lived in New York for 2 Months there were not that many obvious tourists from the rest of America. Yes I was in Long Island which is a less visited burrow, but still :shrug:

First of all, Long Island isn't even a borough or part of the city, and is not connected to its tourist numbers. :lol:

Also, you have obviously never been to Manhattan in peak times in November to January where you literally cannot breathe on the streets. When the tree is up? Forget it.

I'd say those numbers are accurate. Tourism in the city has been rising consistently every year since 2001.

chingching
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:47 AM
First of all, Long Island isn't even a borough or part of the city, and is not connected to its tourist numbers. :lol:

Also, you have obviously never been to Manhattan in peak times in November to January where you literally cannot breathe on the streets. When the tree is up? Forget it.

I'd say those numbers are accurate. Tourism in the city has been rising consistently every year since 2001.

I'm sorry, but Long Island is part of New York :lol:
It may not count in its tourist numbers, but it is a residential borough in New York
I know Manhatten is as busy as hell at Christmas time, that's why we went in September/October
And I know NYC has been getting more and more tourists, but I just don't think it is true that 4X as many Americans visit it each year than International Tourists :shrug:

Jane Lane
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM
It may not count in its tourist numbers, but it is a residential borough in New York
I know Manhatten is as busy as hell at Christmas time, that's why we went in September/October
And I know NYC has been getting more and more tourists, but I just don't think it is true that 4X as many Americans visit it each year than International Tourists :shrug:

:facepalm: Can you not try and educate me about where I live?

The city of New York consists of five boroughs, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island. Long Island is not a borough and is its own separate entity. Of course it's a part of New York STATE, not New York CITY. When you talk about tourism numbers in New York, it's the city.

chingching
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:53 AM
:facepalm: Can you not try and educate me about where I live?

The city of New York consists of five boroughs, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island. Long Island is not a borough and is its own separate entity. When you talk about tourism numbers in New York, it's the city.

That's why I said IT MAY NOT BE FEATURED IN THE TOURIST NUMBERS!!!!
It's residential population counts in New York's population :tape:
You may live in New York, but have you opened any population stats in the last 10 years :help:

Jane Lane
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:57 AM
That's why I said IT MAY NOT BE FEATURED IN THE TOURIST NUMBERS!!!!
It's residential population counts in New York's population :tape:
You may live in New York, but have you opened any population stats in the last 10 years :help:

:facepalm: I said that.

First of all, why are you talking about population when I never brought up anything about population?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-12-17/news/30529833_1_millionth-visitor-overseas-tourists-domestic-visitors

Any day now, New York’s 50 millionth visitor of 2011 will arrive in the city — the highest total ever in a single year.

It’s a landmark moment for Mayor Bloomberg, who made this a key priority when he took office in 2002.

The visitors who flock to New York come from across the United States and from countries around the globe.

They attend Broadway shows, visit museums, eat at restaurants and generate $47 billion in revenue annually, city records show.

In 2000, 36.2 million people visited the city. Last year, there were 48.7 million visitors, an increase of about 35% over the decade. About 20% of visitors to the city were from other countries — and accounted for about half of the money spent by tourists in 2010.

The U.K. has the highest number of foreign tourists who traveled to New York, followed by Canada, France, Brazil and Germany.

Of last year’s visitors, nearly 80% — or 39 million — came from within the United States. About 57% lived within a five-hour drive of Manhattan. Roughly 41% made shorter trips from the New York metro area, according to 2010 figures.

Domestic visitors tend to spend a much shorter time in New York and spend far less cash than international guests, according to figures from NYC & Company, New York’s official marketing and tourism agency.

Americans stay an average of 2.7 nights and shell out $432, while overseas tourists spend $1,700 and stay for 7.3 days on average, statistics show.

I can tell you most people are not coming to New York to visit Long Island or upstate, that's for damn sure.

chingching
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:00 AM
:facepalm: I said that.

First of all, why are you talking about population when I never brought up anything about population?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-12-17/news/30529833_1_millionth-visitor-overseas-tourists-domestic-visitors

I can tell you people are not coming to New York to visit Long Island or upstate, that's for damn sure.

Well obviously
I never said they were
I simply said that I didn't think that what I observed from loiving in teh city that there were 4 times as many American Tourists than International ones
And just because I stayed in Long Island doesn't mean that I didn't see any other part of the city
And how can they tell how many domestic tourists go to NYC when it says many were within driving distance, meaning that they don't have Airport or Port Figures, or visas???

shap_half
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:17 AM

New York state, yes, but not the city of New York. Long Island, as a broader term, actually includes the counties of Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens and Suffolk and Naussau (these last two are usually what people refer to when they talk about Long Island). Long Island is, however, part of the New York cosmopolitan area.

Regarding the tourism debate, I remember reading in the New York Times last year that the city was closing on reaching the 50 million mark. So I hope this will give you the necessary information to give it a rest. It read like you were arguing so aggressively with no facts to back up your claims -- just what you saw while you were visiting.

And how can they tell how many domestic tourists go to NYC when it says many were within driving distance, meaning that they don't have Airport or Port Figures, or visas???
Yes, you can't tell who is actually a tourist or not and having visas don't have anything to do with that.

chingching
Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
New York state, yes, but not the city of New York. Long Island, as a broader term, actually includes the counties of Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens and Suffolk and Naussau (these last two are usually what people refer to when they talk about Long Island). Long Island is, however, part of the New York cosmopolitan area.

Regarding the tourism debate, I remember reading in the New York Times last year that the city was closing on reaching the 50 million mark. So I hope this will give you the necessary information to give it a rest. It read like you were arguing so aggressively with no facts to back up your claims -- just what you saw while you were visiting.

Yes, you can't tell who is actually a tourist or not and having visas don't have anything to do with that.

Despite your obvious disgust at my argument, you have been helpful :)

Dani12
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:49 AM
I've been to the US and Turkey, but not to NY or Antalya :lol: