PDA

View Full Version : Book Discussion Thread: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)

charmedRic
Jul 20th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Do not read on unless you're ready to discuss the contents of Book 5!

Here's the book's description:
In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

I have personally been dying to discuss these books, so I'm starting with Book 5 which I am almost done with, but have no fear I do not care about Spoilers since I'm a fast reader anyways. I'll start by saying it is my favorite book so far, perhaps tied with Book 3.

...Discuss...

NyCPsU
Jul 20th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I didnt read anything because Im on book 4 still but book 3 was one of my favorite books ever. If book 5 is on par with that Im crazy excited and Im sure Ill be in here soon enough. Enjoy.

Ziggy Starduck
Jul 20th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I didnt read anything because Im on book 4 still but book 3 was one of my favorite books ever. If book 5 is on par with that Im crazy excited and Im sure Ill be in here soon enough. Enjoy.

I'm in similar position, I still have 9 chapters of book 4 left. Given the comments on TF regarding Book 5 I can't wait to finally re-connect with some of my fav characters, will post once Book 5 finished. Great thread btw :yeah:

charmedRic
Jul 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM

How are you liking #4? I can say that 5's pace is much more eye friendly and he does answer a lot of questions you've been dragging kicking and screaming across the plot from all the way to book #3.

Can't wait for folks to get to book #5 so we can dissect it! :)

I'm in similar position, I still have 9 chapters of book 4 left. Given the comments on TF regarding Book 5 I can't wait to finally re-connect with some of my fav characters, will post once Book 5 finished. Great thread btw :yeah:

Make sure you read them with attention to detail, it will be the last you hear from the "south" for a while. Book #5 focusses on the North and the Isles rather than Kings Landing and Dorne.

ptkten
Jul 20th, 2012, 05:42 PM
My favorite chapters from Book 5 were Theon/reek. Even if you don't like him, I think that character arc is one of the best George has written. The escape from Winterfell with Jeyne was intense.

I also liked the scenes at the wall, what are everyone's thoughts on Jons leadership and him ultimately being betrayed?

There's a lot to all about in the east too but I'll keep it to a couple of topics right now.

GoofyDuck
Jul 20th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I have about 100/150 more pages to read in book 5 .

It definitely exceeded my expectations after book 4, the action really picked up and it starts from the beginning in book 5! :)

charmedRic
Jul 21st, 2012, 12:46 AM
Must. Read. Faster.

:)

...then again, there's quite a wait for Book 6 let alone Book 7.

Ryan
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM
My favorite chapters from Book 5 were Theon/reek. Even if you don't like him, I think that character arc is one of the best George has written. The escape from Winterfell with Jeyne was intense.

I also liked the scenes at the wall, what are everyone's thoughts on Jons leadership and him ultimately being betrayed?

There's a lot to all about in the east too but I'll keep it to a couple of topics right now.

Yeah, the Greyjoy chapters were great to read. I'd rate it below Book 3, but above Book 4. Getting tired of the drawn out Dany plot line - I thought the Martell storyline would be a great addition, but hated how it ended up with Quentyn dying. I hope Oberyn/Arianne stay as characters though.

Timariot
Jul 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Book 5 has great stuff, but Dany storyline, and to lesser extent Tyrion storyline, just drag, man they're slow. I think the editor should have been fired...

charmedRic
Nov 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Kinda sorta hated the ending.