PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts reaffirm ban on openly gay members

Tennis Fool
Jul 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Gay People Will Remain Unaccepted By Boy Scouts

By ERIK ECKHOLM (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/e/erik_eckholm/index.html)

Published: July 17, 2012

The Boy Scouts of America (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/b/boy_scouts/index.html?inline=nyt-org) has reaffirmed its longtime policy of barring openly gay boys from membership and gay or lesbian adults from serving as leaders. The decision, announced on Tuesday, came after what the organization described as a wide-ranging internal review, and despite public protests.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/04/26/us/nattwitter_thumb/nattwitter_thumb-thumbStandard.jpg (https://twitter.com/#%21/nytnational)

The exclusion policy “reflects the beliefs and perspectives” of the organization, the Boy Scouts said in a news release from its headquarters in Irving, Tex.

“While a majority of our membership agrees with our policy, we fully understand that no single policy will accommodate the many diverse views among our membership or society,” said the Bob Mazzuca, the chief Scout executive, according to the statement.

Under growing public pressure to reconsider the issue, in 2010 the Boy Scouts formed a committee of 11 “volunteers and professional leaders to evaluate whether the policy was in the best interests of the organization,” the statement said. The committee “included a diversity of perspectives” and engaged in “extensive research and evaluations,” the statement said. But the committee was kept secret until now, and the Scouts declined to reveal its membership or methods.

Gay rights groups, who for years have pressed the Boy Scouts for change, said the organization was out of step with society.

“The Boy Scouts of America is one of the last cultural institutions to have discrimination as part of their policy,” said Richard Ferraro, vice president for communications with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, noting that the Girl Scouts, the Boys and Girls Clubs, the 4-H Clubs and now even the military forbid discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Prohibiting or ejecting gay children or leaders sends a dangerous message to all children, Mr. Ferraro said, adding, “It’s policies like this that contribute to bullying in schools.”

The official policy reads: “While the B.S.A. does not proactively inquire about the sexual orientation of employees, volunteers or members, we do not grant membership to individuals who are open or avowed homosexuals or who engage in behavior that would become a distraction to the mission of the B.S.A.”

In 2000, in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court upheld the right of the Boy Scouts to expel a gay assistant scoutmaster, saying that as a private organization, it had the right to decide what values it wanted to inculcate.

In April, Jennifer Tyrrell, a lesbian parent in Ohio, drew national attention when she was forced out as a den mother of her son’s Tiger Scouts group because of her sexual orientation.
Two members of the Boy Scouts’ executive board, James S. Turley, chairman and chief executive of Ernst & Young, and Randall L. Stephenson, chairman and chief executive of AT&T, have recently said they would push to end the exclusion policy.

Mr. Turley declined to comment on the announcement. An AT&T spokesman reissued a previous statement saying: “We don’t agree with every policy of every organization we support, nor would we expect them to agree with us on everything. Our belief is that change at any organization must come from within to be successful and sustainable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/us/boy-scouts-reaffirm-ban-on-gay-members.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

I didn't even know there was a ban. :shrug:

Sammo
Jul 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM
What a country :haha:

Mynarco
Jul 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Ridiculous :o

Miss Amor
Jul 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
When they do get sexually abused, these leaders want to make sure that the boys are not enjoying it. Same reasons why the church likes straight boys.

stromatolite
Jul 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM
In 2000, in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court upheld the right of the Boy Scouts to expel a gay assistant scoutmaster, saying that as a private organization, it had the right to decide what values it wanted to inculcate.

This is the point really. I don't like the policy and if I had kids I wouldn't send them to scouts, but at the end of the day that's just my choice. South Park did an episode on this years ago explaining why it's not in the interests of the gay community to force its views down the throats of people and organizations who don't share their views.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152662/scout-leader-big-gay-al

Tennis Fool
Jul 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
The irony, however, is that a grandson of the founder is openly gay and is excluded from the organization.

charmedRic
Jul 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
The irony, however, is that a grandson of the founder is openly gay and is excluded from the organization.

Not really irony. More like tragic reality.

Ironic would be if the leaders of the organization were all closeted gay men themselves in relationships within the org.

wta_zuperfann
Jul 18th, 2012, 07:47 PM
If true, then the Boys Scouts should be stripped of its tax exempt status.

delicatecutter
Jul 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
They have the right to be discriminatory and I have the right to bash/badmouth them and never support them for said discrimination.

edificio
Jul 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Boy Scouts of America sucks. They definitely should lose tax-exempt status. Won't happen, but still.

LoveFifteen
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I will never understand why anyone would want to be a part of the antiquated, out-of-touch Boy Scouts. The 1950s are over, gurl! :o

We gays should leave such tired, boring crap to the straights.

Slammer7
Jul 19th, 2012, 01:04 AM
I will never understand why anyone would want to be a part of the antiquated, out-of-touch Boy Scouts. The 1950s are over, gurl! :o

We gays should leave such tired, boring crap to the straights.

I understand that, but it's not so much about adult gays wanting to join, but kids who realize they're gay after being in the Scouts for years and the kids who have gay parents. :shrug: They kicked out a lesbian den mother this year even though her son and the entire troop and their parents knew she was gay and didn't object. The larger branch found out and the national rule/ban was implemented then. If a kid has gay Dad's and wants to join the Boy Scouts his Dad's have to hide it and lie (if they aren't in a supportive troop like the one I mentioned before, but even then if the larger branch found out...) because parental participation is a big part of the Boy Scouts. One of the big issues with the Scouts as well is their use of public/government property like schools and public parks/camp grounds for free. So they are benefiting from federal dollars. They are still granted access to government property when they are an organization that discriminates on the grounds of religion and sexual orientation which is contradictory to federal policy, especially the religious discrimination part. Atheist are barred from being scouts too. So if a 12 or 14 year old renounces their faith while still in the Scouts he better keep quiet about it or he's thrown out.

LoveFifteen
Jul 19th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I understand that, but it's not so much about adult gays wanting to join, but kids who realize they're gay after being in the Scouts for years and the kids who have gay parents. :shrug: They kicked out a lesbian den mother this year even though her son and the entire troop and their parents knew she was gay and didn't object. The larger branch found out and the national rule/ban was implemented then. If a kid has gay Dad's and wants to join the Boy Scouts his Dad's have to hide it and lie (if they aren't in a supportive troop like the one I mentioned before, but even then if the larger branch found out...) because parental participation is a big part of the Boy Scouts. One of the big issues with the Scouts as well is their use of public/government property like schools and public parks/camp grounds for free. So they are benefiting from federal dollars. They are still granted access to government property when they are an organization that discriminates on the grounds of religion and sexual orientation which is contradictory to federal policy, especially the religious discrimination part. Atheist are barred from being scouts too. So if a 12 or 14 year old renounces their faith while still in the Scouts he better keep quiet about it or he's thrown out.

No, I totally understand what you mean, and it's disgusting that they're kicking out gay people from this organization. It's horrid and wrong, and the discrimination should stop.

ranfurly
Jul 19th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Scouts was gay full stop.

Wasted 2 hours of My Wednesday evenings going to a un-equipped, poorly financed Scout Club which didn't have the backing to go to the National Scout Jamboree, so we had out own "jamboree" on my Primary School green.

Not to mention, while other scout halls did great life skill events, building tents, hiking, we milled around in some hyperthermic hall playing games with strings and bottle of water,

They couldn't even afford fucking badges, so my shirt was badgeless.

+ the it seemed like other schools pawned of mentally challenged kids into our group, holding able bodied people like myself back, from acheiving my adolescenet homoerotic dreams of being a man.

Tennis Fool
Jul 19th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Scouts was gay full stop.

Wasted 2 hours of My Wednesday evenings going to a un-equipped, poorly financed Scout Club which didn't have the backing to go to the National Scout Jamboree, so we had out own "jamboree" on my Primary School green.

Not to mention, while other scout halls did great life skill events, building tents, hiking, we milled around in some hyperthermic hall playing games with strings and bottle of water,

They couldn't even afford fucking badges, so my shirt was badgeless.

+ the it seemed like other schools pawned of mentally challenged kids into our group, holding able bodied people like myself back, from acheiving my adolescenet homoerotic dreams of being a man.
You should have boycotted them then :o

ranfurly
Jul 19th, 2012, 07:17 AM
You should have boycotted them then :o

I was young at the time, and it was the "in" thing to get involved with at my school, so we kind of got hustled to do it, dad would be spinning a yarn about "ohh, son, it's gonna be good for ya, gonna make ya into a man, make new friends bla bla bla"

It actually got that bad, we handed in our project or whatever we were accomplishing from the book which showed you what you needed to perform in order to obtain badges, I only completed Three at the time (what can I say, I wasn't interested), they were a Swimming, a Kayaking and a Tent/outdoor skills one,

I handed all the credentials into my leader, and the next week he advised that he was unable to supply me with the badges because we couldn't afford to purchase them as a group.

The year later, there was no Woodend Scout group,

Mothers tried a little promotion of handing out fliers and rummying up support to try and get it started, but little did they know, that bridge had been burnt, no one was interested and anyone who was keen, went to scout groups in other areas.

Pisses me of to this day, the Girl Guides had fucking awesome funding and went on trips all through out, and we huddled in this damp, cold isolated Scout Hall playing queer games with coke bottles (bone crusher?) like you would in the Harlem Projects.