PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS : Frank Schleck failed doping test

Martian Jeza
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/frank-schleck-fails-doping-test-184745118.html

Another one caught on doping !

Certinfy
Jul 17th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Why do they even bother? Do they actually think they're going to get away with it? :shrug: :confused:

The Crow
Jul 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Argh! Not again! :(

Drimal
Jul 17th, 2012, 08:38 PM
:o

kittyking
Jul 17th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Is anyone really surprised that Frank doped? I've been a fan of cycling for years, and he was right near the top of my list of people who would probably dope at some point in their career.

He is no where near as good as his younger brother. Frank was by far the better of the two of them at a very young level, then his brother took off. Frank is more passionate about the sport than Andy. This was Franks year to win the tour de france, especially as so many top riders are not taking it as seriously as other years. He doped, he got caught. He wouldn't have even made the podium this year. Frank is a loser, and Andy will go onto win Tour De France next year.

Melange
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
the best news andy could get :hysteric:

Melange
Jul 17th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Is anyone really surprised that Frank doped? I've been a fan of cycling for years, and he was right near the top of my list of people who would probably dope at some point in their career.

He is no where near as good as his younger brother. Frank was by far the better of the two of them at a very young level, then his brother took off. Frank is more passionate about the sport than Andy. This was Franks year to win the tour de france, especially as so many top riders are not taking it as seriously as other years. He doped, he got caught. He wouldn't have even made the podium this year. Frank is a loser, and Andy will go onto win Tour De France next year.

its good that you are back

wta_zuperfann
Jul 18th, 2012, 02:22 AM
All these incidents are hurting the image of the sport. It needs to shorten the events and clean up its act.

edificio
Jul 18th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Interesting. Well, someone was going to fail a test. Bad news for Andy, though, as he might be suspected.

Cycling seems rife with doping. I doubt it can be cleaned at this point.

Ryan
Jul 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cyclist caught doping. This is news. :yawn: Why do people even watch this hobby?

LoveFifteen
Jul 18th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Cyclist caught doping. This is news. :yawn: Why do people even watch this hobby?

This.

hablo
Jul 18th, 2012, 09:38 PM

This.

It's more exciting than a sport like baseball. :help:

Anyway, should people stop watching track-and-field, hockey, etc., too; it's not like there isn't doping in those disciplines? :rolleyes:

LoveFifteen
Jul 18th, 2012, 09:44 PM

Anyway, should people stop watching track-and-field, hockey, etc., too; it's not like there isn't doping in those disciplines. :rolleyes:

I loathe baseball. It's tedious.

But I don't get the appeal of cycling. I find it very boring. Any sport where you can cross the finish line sipping champagne just doesn't provide me the necessary level of drama.

Chris 84
Jul 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Anyway, should people stop watching track-and-field, hockey, etc., too; it's not like there isn't doping in those disciplines. :rolleyes:

cycling is almost as boring as baseball, but i agree, not quite. and i agree about track and field as well. i used to be interested, but with the amount of people who have failed drugs tests in the years following olympic success, the whole thing is a bore to me. it becomes a question of who can avoid being caught, etc. very sad for those who are clean and legitimately great athletes, but because you never know, i've just stopped caring.

cycling, swimming and track and field seem to me to be the sports most affected by this, and are all sports in which the physical aspect is key. in sports like tennis or hockey or football, physical attributes are important, but you need a large amount of skills other than stamina, strength, etc to be successful.

hablo
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I loathe baseball. It's tedious.

But I don't get the appeal of cycling. I find it very boring. Any sport where you can cross the finish line sipping champagne just doesn't provide me the necessary level of drama.
What I like about cycling (the Tour de France) is that there is more than one race within one big race: overall jersey (yellow), sprinter jersey, mountain jersey, best young rider jersey and then the different stages winners. Also team tactics. :shrug:

I actually don't mind baseball but I don't watch it... :o
cycling is almost as boring as baseball, but i agree, not quite. and i agree about track and field as well. i used to be interested, but with the amount of people who have failed drugs tests in the years following olympic success, the whole thing is a bore to me. it becomes a question of who can avoid being caught, etc. very sad for those who are clean and legitimately great athletes, but because you never know, i've just stopped caring.

cycling, swimming and track and field seem to me to be the sports most affected by this, and are all sports in which the physical aspect is key. in sports like tennis or hockey or football, physical attributes are important, but you need a large amount of skills other than stamina, strength, etc to be successful.
Problem is there still is doping in tennis, hockey or football. I still watch the first two sports. And if football means soccer than yes, I watch that too. ;)

One summer I spent too much time reading about doping; it's always existed in sports; that was my conclusion... But I can't stop watching it! :help::hysteric:

Chris 84
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Problem is there still is doping in tennis, hockey or football. I still watch the first two sports. And if football means soccer than yes, I watch that too. ;)

One summer I spent too much time reading about doping; it's always existed in sports; that was my conclusion... But I can't stop watching it! :help::hysteric:

i don't disagree that its there, but drugs are of less overall benefit to sportsmen in sports like the 3 i mentioned (and yes i meant football, not american football/gridiron :p ). they might make you run faster for longer, but they don't make you score goals, etc.

in athletics, running faster and longer IS the sport, thereby ruining the whole thing. and certainly it seems that a ridiculously high number of people in cycling and athletics are caught (and take performance enhancers overall, given their vital benefits in said sports), compared to other sports.

hablo
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:29 PM
i don't disagree that its there, but drugs are of less overall benefit to sportsmen in sports like the 3 i mentioned (and yes i meant football, not american football/gridiron :p ). they might make you run faster for longer, but they don't make you score goals, etc.

in athletics, running faster and longer IS the sport, thereby ruining the whole thing. and certainly it seems that a ridiculously high number of people in cycling and athletics are caught (and take performance enhancers overall, given their vital benefits in said sports), compared to other sports.

Yes, but in football not everyone is a striker so yes doping is beneficial (blood doping, EPO, etc). So yes, one can argue that doping in football is just as beneficial as in the other sports.

Same with hockey, not everyone is a Sydney Crosby so therefore they can use some "help" with being stronger on the puck, having more stamina and more muscle mass, etc. :p

I would argue that in athletics, there is also skill. I can dope all I want and I would never be as successful as say Lolo Jones. :hysteric: There is also skill in cycling. For instance, some cyclists are better in the downhills. Why is that? They have more skill... ;)

Maybe, we need some athletes to add their two cents to this discussion. :lol:

Ryan
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Anyway, should people stop watching track-and-field, hockey, etc., too; it's not like there isn't doping in those disciplines? :rolleyes:

Doping in hockey? Rly? Baseball sucks, I agree.

Chris 84
Jul 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Yes, but in football not everyone is a striker so yes doping is beneficial (blood doping, EPO, etc). So yes, one can argue that doping in football is just as beneficial as in the other sports.

Same with hockey, not everyone is a Sydney Crosby so therefore they can use some "help" with being stronger on the puck, having more stamina and more muscle mass, etc. :p

I would argue that in athletics, there is also skill. I can dope all I want and I would never be as successful as say Lolo Jones. :hysteric: There is also skill in cycling. For instance, some cyclists are better in the downhills. Why is that? They have more skill... ;)

Maybe, we need some athletes to add their two cents to this discussion. :lol:

not everyone is a striker, but doping doesn't help with tackling, passing, etc. and in hockey, it doesn't help with hockey sense, passing, shooting, etc. in any event, there havent been very many examples of doping in either of those sports.

and yeah, i agree there is skill in athletics and cycling. i don't mean to belittle those sports. just that drugs will tend to have a more important affect on participants of those sports than of sports where the primary "skill" isn't an athletic one.

Volcana
Jul 19th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Cycling is the ONE sport where they truly test seriouly, and don't protect the stars. And the whole sport gets vilified for it. No wonder other sports protect their own.

Beat
Jul 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Cyclist caught doping. This is news. :yawn:

IKR. nobody takes cycling - as a clean sport - seriously anymore.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 19th, 2012, 11:22 AM
not everyone is a striker, but doping doesn't help with tackling, passing, etc. and in hockey, it doesn't help with hockey sense, passing, shooting, etc. in any event, there havent been very many examples of doping in either of those sports.

Doping helps in ANY sport. If in soccer it doesn't help with tackling or passing, it definitely helps in terms of speed, endurance and physical strenght. It doesn't have any impact on their technique, but it undeniably helps. And at the highest level minor improvements make for the difference between winning and losing.

Meelis
Jul 19th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Doping helps in ANY sport. If in soccer it doesn't help with tackling or passing, it definitely helps in terms of speed, endurance and physical strenght.

Biggest help in football (and in other professional team sports) are drugs that help to recover faster after matches/trainings. Considering how insane the top level schedules are, taking certain substances can help a lot.

hablo
Jul 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Doping in hockey? Rly? Baseball sucks, I agree.
You're naive if you think it doesn't happen in hockey.
No doping in such a physical sport? You're kidding right?

There is a reason the league doesn't want an independent body testing their athletes...

and yeah, i agree there is skill in athletics and cycling. i don't mean to belittle those sports. just that drugs will tend to have a more important affect on participants of those sports than of sports where the primary "skill" isn't an athletic one.
There haven't been many examples of doping because these sports don't seriously test their athletes; unlike cycling and track-and-field.
Cycling is the ONE sport where they truly test seriouly, and don't protect the stars. And the whole sport gets vilified for it. No wonder other sports protect their own.
Exactly.

Doping helps in ANY sport. If in soccer it doesn't help with tackling or passing, it definitely helps in terms of speed, endurance and physical strenght. It doesn't have any impact on their technique, but it undeniably helps. And at the highest level minor improvements make for the difference between winning and losing.

Well said.
Biggest help in football (and in other professional team sports) are drugs that help to recover faster after matches/trainings. Considering how insane the top level schedules are, taking certain substances can help a lot.

Yup. Blood doping and EPO. I believe Johnny Hallyday slipped up about football and doping re: Zidane... :tape:

Quand Johnny Hallyday se fait une transfusion sanguine sur les conseils de Zidane chez le Docteur Delajoux, ça fait seulement deux lignes dans les journaux…Ce qui n’est pas équitable, c’est la façon qu’a la presse de faire passer le message.

http://www.atlantico.fr/decryptage/tour-france-dopage-ne-tue-pas-que-coureurs-tue-aussi-spectacle-thierry-bourguignon-419564.html