PDA

View Full Version : 100K Biarritz

croat123
Jul 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Opened a thread for this tournament since we don't know miki's schedule.

(5)Romina Oprandi (SUI) v Mirjana Lucic (CRO)
Amra Sadikovic (SUI) v Stefanie Voegele (SUI)
Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) v Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino (ESP)
(3)Mathilde Johansson (FRA) v Paula Ormaechea (ARG)

Good luck! Could be tough...Oprandi made the semis in Biella this week

mikireturns
Jul 7th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hey C 123 -- I just wedged a summer thread in a minute ago; didn't see your Biarritz thread until now. I'll post to yours while she is in Biarritz

Cheers~

ajmo!
Jul 7th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Oprandi's playing similar to Vinci so it won't be easy, not on clay. But any potential match seems hard so gl Miki.

mikireturns
Jul 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Oprandi is a witch on wheels ... I remember the close Vegas loss back in late 09. Hope Miki wants to really get some traction, here.

Go Miss Miki!

mikireturns
Jul 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Well, here at Stanford (Taube Family Tennis Center) I am amazed by the decline. Only two courts going all day for the qually girls, and I must say, a lackluster field. Coco was out warming up, and Sesil, and so was Oudin, for a bit, but the word here is that they fast-tracked her right into the MD via wc, so this field is so weak, I am sure Miki could have gotten a wc, too ;-(

Yes, last year Miki laid what I consider the biggest egg of her career here in a 1 and 0 49-minute fiasco to McHale, but that was after the Wimby crush of Cibulkova, and after she choked herself to hell against Cirstea ... Plus she had wedding plans on her mind all summer.

Marriage is as big a force in life as any "career" so I totally understand her suckage last year after Wimby/Cuneo.

Different Miki this year. Like Chrissie Evert and others said during the final this morning, Serena is a "young 30" and so is Miki -- her fitness is impeccable. I think the clay is a good transition for Miki to hard courts ... Her clay results have always been strong, and it forces her to be a bit more patient and selective with her big game.

Everyone here -- the players and their coaches & hitting partners have been chattering about Aggie's good fight against Serena. Aggie is, apparently, VERY well-liked by her tour peers.

Wish Mike was here. Matches ready to start right NOW!

mikireturns
Jul 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Um ... Wish Miki were here ... Not even remotely aware of a 'Mike' in my current or previous existence.

Coco! [he said, pointlessly, about a player who interests him not].

croat123
Jul 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
sorry Miki is not there...hopefully next year :)

MKhromachev
Jul 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Good luck, but I must said I think this is a awful choice of tournament to play ..

frenchie
Jul 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Romina will be a nightmare for Mirjana.
I see an easy loss for her

DokDi
Jul 8th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Tough R1 indeed. :unsure:

Good luck Mirjana! :)

mikireturns
Jul 8th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Romina will be a nightmare for Mirjana.
I see an easy loss for her

Yeah, well, that's just a fabulous comment.

My sense is that Miki is on the coast because she still wants to play some serious tennis.

She just destroyed a Top 10 ... I actually think she has the talent to handle Romina Freakin' Oprandi.

Team MIKI

kfh_9118
Jul 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Good luck, but I must said I think this is a awful choice of tournament to play ..

I agree

Wish she plays Stanford instead

Good luck Miki, hopefully you will have good result here in Biarritz :bounce:

networthy
Jul 9th, 2012, 01:04 PM
She really should have played Stanford. For a Premier event, the draw is ridiculously weak.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
GL, but I echo the sentiments in here over her choice of event. :o

Still, win please. :)

markdelaney
Jul 9th, 2012, 06:29 PM
She has withdrawn from Biarritz. Her place has been taken by a qualifier

ajmo!
Jul 9th, 2012, 06:32 PM
:confused:

markdelaney
Jul 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_thHMiv7le4

We can all watch this again ! Top ten tennis without a doubt !

mikireturns
Jul 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yes ... 33 winners, 9 aces, and only 11 UEs against a big grass player like Bartoli ... Top 10 tennis for sure. She's probably been back in the States for a week, but I am surprised she did not give the Biarritz people more notice!

MKhromachev
Jul 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
She should play Waterloo or other 50k tournament in States .. why not, considering field there, she wont find much easier points whole year ..

DokDi
Jul 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I really doubt she's been in U.S and waited to withdraw until 1 day after the draw was made.
Maybe she is injured/ill. :confused:

markdelaney
Jul 9th, 2012, 08:31 PM
No point to defend at all now until the US Open. A huge chance to climb further inside the top 100 !

ajmo!
Jul 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I would be happy with top 75 on the end of the year. She has chance, but will need a couple more tournaments with 100+ points.
And she could had earned at least 60 in Stanford, if not 200 again.

ajmo!
Jul 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM
If you're ok and in States, ask for San Diego QWC Miki!!

qwertytx
Jul 10th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Yes she needs to get into some of these US tournaments in the next few weeks when everyone's focused on London. Lots of points and prize money up for grabs for someone with Miki's talent.

ajmo!
Jul 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
In Stanford R2 are:
Gibbs, De Britto, Sema, Zhang, Burdette... Oh, what a chance.

mikireturns
Jul 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
In Stanford R2 are:
Gibbs, De Britto, Sema, Zhang, Burdette... Oh, what a chance.

You got that right. Weakest field I've ever seen for an event this size, and it's a shame, too, because the setting here at Stanford is one of the nicest on the tour. The quallies were underwhelming to say the least. They had only two courts going for the first day (main court and court 6) and the list was pretty lame. But, it is the Olympic event that has caused this one to suffer, just as it will for CITI.

Big props to Serena for making it all the way out here -- she is single-handedly saving this event. So is Bartoli, for that matter. Miki could have gone through this field like a powerhouse, with her current form.

As we know, her contingency plan for an early Wimby loss was for the 100ks in Europe. I now wonder if she did end up sick or with an injury for Biarritz, because I can't imagine she would not have been able to score a WC for at least the quallies here, if not the MD.

Perhaps she simply was not in a position to get here in time. Hope she shows up fit and focused and well-practiced for the US Open series later. Serena looking quite fit ... Everyone else looking quite tired!

ajmo!
Jul 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
She still has time to ask for WC in Carlsbad.

DokDi
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah I expect to see her name in either QD or MD for Carlsbad next week.

DokDi
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Mirjana is 1 out of MD in Carlsbad. ;)

ajmo!
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
:bounce: hope she gets in

ajmo!
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:49 PM
And if I was Miki I would travel to Baku and take that WTA title, but that's not gonna happen.

Queenpova
Jul 12th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Mirjana is 1 out of MD in Carlsbad. ;)

Did she play Q? or what do you mean?

I wish her the best, cant wait to see her back in the tp 50 :bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 12th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Did she play Q? or what do you mean?
It means that as of now she's the top seed in qualifying (which hasn't started yet), but if one more player ranked above her withdraws, she will make the main draw.

Hope that answers your question...

Queenpova
Jul 12th, 2012, 09:22 PM
It means that as of now she's the top seed in qualifying (which hasn't started yet), but if one more player ranked above her withdraws, she will make the main draw.

Hope that answers your question...

Thank you! :)

DokDi
Jul 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Actually it has nothing to do with Qualifying or seeding. She is 1 place OUT of MD on the maindraw list which is out 6 weeks pre tourney start. Lists for Q is out 3 weeks ahead, and Mirjana did not enter that list. (Seedings are based on the tour ranking the week of the draw).

Dave. :rolleyes:

...kidding. :kiss:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
LMAO oh, apparently I have no idea either. :sobbing: :lol:

mikireturns
Jul 14th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Miki is NOT in the qually draw for Carlsbad. Wonder if she squeezed into the MD ...

mikireturns
Jul 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Unless someone pulls out in the next couple of days, she will not make the draw.

Even then, I cannot see her at this point flying all the way to SoCal and just waiting around on the chance another player will pull out, unless she has some inside scoop from tourney organizers, who say, "Hey, Lucic ... Danilidou was attacked by a swarm of bees and looks like she might pull out, seeing as her body is covered with festering, pustulent welts. But she hasn't officially withdrawn as of Friday night, so why don't you fly out and get a hotel and hang around?"

The moral of the story is: since Miki did NOT enter the quallies, she was on the alt list hoping for enough withdrawals early on in order to give her ample time to get her team to California with certainty of a place in the main draw.

Thus, I doubt she is in California right now, and with only two days left before the draw is made, she isn't going to fly out on such short notice even if a spot possibly opens up.

She might, but I highly doubt it. If someone withdraws, the spot will go to whatever ALT is also in qualifying.

I don't think we'll be seeing her at LaCosta in Carlsbad.

Could be wrong, tho' ...

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2012, 11:29 AM
If not, another chance missed. Everyone knows that if you're not top 10 you should play before OG.

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Also, a Premier event can give to WCs two top 20 players, if nobody from top 20 asks for WC next alts. go to MD. So Mirjana should be in MD. But no...
Stanford and SD have an exception and can give WCs to anybody. And so they did. Stupid Coco and Davis taking Lucic place.

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Just came across an interesting info. In Wimbledon ony Serena and Lisicki fired more aces than Miki. And Mirjana played only 3 matches.

DokDi
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
If she's not in the draw, what a waisted opporunity and bad scheduling after Wimbledon.
She should have entered Stanford to keep her momentum up and continue from there.

But hopefully she got in, draw will be out tonight...

Queenpova
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ugh I wish she made the 4R in Wimbledon, I feel like she lost the match. She's clearly a superior player to vinci

SERVivor
Jul 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Giorgi is listed as #1 seed in qualifying and was listed below Lucic in the ALT list. But, since qualifying seeds based on last week's rankings I guess this doesn't necessarily mean Lucic is in main draw. She is not in qualifying draw so either made main draw or is not playing.

SERVivor
Jul 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hopefully, she still has plans to play in the Citi Open during the Olympics. The Citi Open is going to be a combined ATP/WTA event in Washington, D.C. The men's tournament will be a "500" series and the women's an "International" event. My guess that means a $220,000 tournament for the women. Last year, it was played at College Park, MD on the campus of the University of Maryland. I'm glad it moved because the site in Washington, near Rock Creek Park is a better site. She should be able to get main draw acceptance since the Olypics will be going on. The organizers are playing advertisements in heavy radio rotation but the fields, both men and women, are going to be affected by the Olympics.

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Sema was 2nd alt to MD and she's in Q-draw.

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hopefully, she still has plans to play in the Citi Open during the Olympics. The Citi Open is going to be a combined ATP/WTA event in Washington, D.C. The men's tournament will be a "500" series and the women's an "International" event. My guess that means a $220,000 tournament for the women. Last year, it was played at College Park, MD on the campus of the University of Maryland. I'm glad it moved because the site in Washington, near Rock Creek Park is a better site. She should be able to get main draw acceptance since the Olypics will be going on. The organizers are playing advertisements in heavy radio rotation but the fields, both men and women, are going to be affected by the Olympics.

she's 6th alt, i think maybe 100k Vancouver would also be good choice

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Not in MD, no comment.
Also not in Vancover list.
Having calendar of world number 1, it seems.

mikireturns
Jul 14th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Most unfortunate for Miki, particularly being one out of the MD. I can see her missing Stanford (where we have Larcher de Britos in QFs and Coco-types in semifinals!)

This draw at Carlsbad has some of Mirjana's most confounding opponents, though. Cibulkova and McHale.

Still, she should have built upon the momentum of her big Top 10 win at Wimbledon.

So odd, given that she was prepared for back-to-back 100K events in Biella and Biarritz.

She is certainly not acting like a player who wants to get her ranking up when the opportunity is at its best.

Still, she begins at the CITI event with a draw that will be even more wide open.

I just hope this little interlude does not cost her the form she was displaying in Europe.

I also just have a hunch that, no matter what, this is going to be her last year on tour.

Let's see what she can do with the remaining Open Series events, then the Open itself, where her MD spot is guaranteed, and then whatever events she plays in the Autumn (I expect Quebec, and, since she and the hubby are going to Bora Bora on honeymoon, we may see her pick up a yummy WTA in the Far East while she's there).

Otherwise, her scheduling strategy screams to me: "I'm not really that concerned with ranking anymore ... Just playing my best because I don't plan on being around the tour much longer."

If she plays next year I will be very surprised. GL at CITI, Miki. Work harder than ever in practice on the hard courts. Get your footing.

mikireturns
Jul 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
^Plus, the fact that she didn't even enter quallies or qually alts, here, indicates to me that she really didn't care all that much about playing the event, no matter how far out of the draw she was listed.

I could be totally wrong, but to me I see some subtle indications that she is going to wind-it-up this year.

DokDi
Jul 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mirjana. :( No comments.

mikireturns
Jul 14th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Mirjana. :( No comments.

:wavey: A bit frustrating, yes, but I don't think we need to be upset with Miki.

After all, no one else pulled out and it was not her fault. She clearly did not want to play quallies, here, where she would have easily got to the main draw, anyhow.

But maybe she is trying to manage her traveling expenses/funds. Who knows? That could very well be a part of it.

Flights from the East Coast to California are $$$$$ these days, as well as accommodations for her and her trainer/hitting partner. Tennis players outside the Top 50 absolutely have to think about those things.

For Miki, may she was not willing to risk a surprise loss in quallies for one long trip to California, whereas even a MD 1st Round loss in Carlsbad would have been much more worth the risk, if she was guaranteed a MD spot.

But that did not pan out for her, here, and she had already not planned on Stanford because she had Biella and Biarritz in mind, because she did not "know" she would have some success at Wimbledon.

Look at all the events coming up -- everything East Coast, which will be much more convenient financially and travel-wise, and Dallas and Cincinnati are not anywhere NEAR as pricey as risking one event in California.

Now that I think of it, I see this as a shrewd move on Miki's part, So LONG as she has been practicing hard and comes into the upcoming events ready to rock & roll.

You can't take away co fidence that comes from beating a really big player, and doing it so authoritatively.

She'll be out to show how good she can play when we next see her, bet on it.

No matter what her longterm plans may be, I do believe she is full of well-earned new confidence and she wants to show her best at the proper times.

A few of us predicted a breakthrough some months ago, and she sure got one. I think there will be some more breakthroughs coming up very shortly.

ajmo!
Jul 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
^Plus, the fact that she didn't even enter quallies or qually alts, here, indicates to me that she really didn't care all that much about playing the event, no matter how far out of the draw she was listed.

I could be totally wrong, but to me I see some subtle indications that she is going to wind-it-up this year.

I don't think so. Firstly, she was always thinking about playing until 32.
After Bartoli win she said that she nedeed a lot of time to adjust to life on tour and that she finally again did adjust. Also that she knows after that win that she can still do some damage in top tennis.
Not the words of somebody who plans to retire.

MLF
Jul 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
In non-tennis news Miki is heartbroken at the moment as her pet dog passed away recently. :sad:

mikireturns
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM
^ Oh no, poor Max (and poor Miki)! Justifiably heartbroken indeed. She had him forever. One of life's most gutting experiences, losing a cherished pet (aka Family Member). Thoughts go out to Miki :-(0

DokDi
Jul 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM
:hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 15th, 2012, 05:06 PM
:sobbing: Poor Miki. :hug: Dreading that experience myself, my dog is on her last legs. I can't even think about it...

ajmo!
Jul 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Surface in Stanford is FAST!
Oh. I'll always regret. She had to play Stanford and Carlsbad this year, just as she had to beat Vinci.
Win US Open and I'll forget. :p
still, with that strange w/d from 100k in France I hope she's not sick or injured, but working hard as hell with new coach somewhere in Florida.

This breaks never do her good. Play WTT...Anything.

Queenpova
Jul 15th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Ugh Miki has bad luck. Hope she recovers emotionally and as weird as it sounds, finds strenght and fights harder on court, that's what her dog would have wanted :hug:

mikireturns
Jul 16th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Surface in Stanford is FAST!
Oh. I'll always regret. She had to play Stanford and Carlsbad this year, just as she had to beat Vinci.
Win US Open and I'll forget. :p
still, with that strange w/d from 100k in France I hope she's not sick or injured, but working hard as hell with new coach somewhere in Florida.

This breaks never do her good. Play WTT...Anything.

I have the feeling it was news about Max, her dog, that likely had her back in the States. One knows when "it's getting down to the end" with pets, and if Miki was still in Europe when her furry friend was starting to "go" she would have been notified by her family.

I sure as hell would pull out of any tournament to be with my pet. But everyone copes differently.

I still think she was not keen on the California events, anyhow, and really meant to launch her summer hard court campaign at CITI and go right on through. So she only really "missed" Biarritz.

You can bet she has been working really hard to build her game after that breakthrough against Bartoli. She and her coach will be watching tapes of those W matches and stepping it up. Expect Miki 3.0 when she returns.

She's on schedule. And, for what it's worth, losing a cherished pet can be traumatic, but most people cope by channeling their focus BIG TIME into whatever else they are doing. She'll be fine. It's not bad luck her dog passed away -- it's GOOD fortune they had each other for so long!

Look for a super-fit, determined Miki on hard courts.

(and best wishes, WTD ... Sorry to hear you'll have a sad time coming. It gets easier :-( ~~~

mikireturns
Jul 16th, 2012, 12:27 AM
And yeah, Ajmo!, the surface here is fast at Taube center, but the outer courts even more than stadium. One reason big gawky Coco-V played so well against Reenie today.

Coco in finals. (Yeah, Miki, you would have easily been at least a semi finalist here)

< sigh >

jela_dokic
Jul 16th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I just cheked the doubles draw...and Mirjana is playing with Coco in doubles... againts Huber/Raymond in 1st round...

mikireturns
Jul 16th, 2012, 04:54 AM
I just cheked the doubles draw...and Mirjana is playing with Coco in doubles... againts Huber/Raymond in 1st round...

If that is so, then it's a total shame she did not squeeze into the MD. Maybe someone will pull out tomorrow, or whatever, and she'll still get a placement. Unbelievable bad luck to be 1st ALT and go all the way out there and play doubles against Huber and Raymond, and no singles.

Well, it's some tennis, at least.

ajmo!
Jul 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Oh, happy she's playing but such a bad luck.
If somebody pulls out LL gets in or Miki?

EDIT: LL gets in :(

ajmo!
Jul 16th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Also, surprised she didn't got QWC

DokDi
Jul 16th, 2012, 11:57 AM
:eek:

So she was there and wanted to play. :awww:
Shame she didn't enter Q list or at least got a QWC. :(

Hope she doesn't make the same mistake by not entering the Q draw in Washington.

mikireturns
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Varvara was another player who did nicely at Wimby and hasn't played since her 3rd round showing there, at least until beating Gibbs in Carlsbad last night.

I seem to recall that Miki was entered in the CITI quallies, as well as being 5th ALT or some such. Man, that draw is shaping-up to early as weak as some 50-75Ks we've seen, though I expect they'll lure someone like Bartoli, who isn't playing the Olympics, obviously (Girl, loyalty is good and all that, but you need to get over this "thing" with Daddy. I mean, I'm sure he could just text her little reminders like: bounce maniacally on the tips of your toes like rubber balls are benath your feet; swing at imaginary shots with your back to the court; pretend you are a one-legged ballerina when you serve; etc., but I digress).

Hopefully Miki can rustle up a decent showing against Huber and Raymond in dubs (not too hopeful there, but you never know) and at least get used to the hardcourt footwork demands, ball-speeds, and execute some forward movement at net. She was playing some great forward tennis at Wimby, too. Nice all-court sensibilities, which we haven't seen from her in a bit.

Then work her way into CITI via the quallies, for sure. Go after that draw KNOWING she can beat ANYONE there, now.

KNOWING it.

mikireturns
Jul 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Good grief, why didn't she enter quallies if she was actually going to be in town? Even if she had lost in Q she would have gotten into the MD as a LL. Now brain-dead Oudin is in, after getting butchered in qualifying by MLDB.

Maybe Miki had complications as far as arriving in time. Sheesh.

mikireturns
Jul 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Freaking witch Cirstea. I just heard she didn't even make it to Carlsbad and knew she was going to withdraw.

I wonder if she waited till the last possible minute because she saw Miki was the first alt.

The women (and the men) can pull some rotten shit on each other on the tour.

That was Miki's rightful spot in the draw, had Cirstea done the proper thing. Bitch.

mikireturns
Jul 19th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Heh, "Miki & Coco" holding their own against Huber/Raymond. Lost the 1st set 4-6 but just broke back to even the second at 1-1.

mikireturns
Jul 19th, 2012, 12:58 AM
They lost 4 and 3, but kept them on court for over an hour. Better than I figured they would do, given the total shit draw.

Let's hope all draws for Miki are better in D.C. She is entered in quallies and is 4th ALT and can hopefully rev up some good tennis~

ajmo!
Jul 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Good result, not happy with the serve in 2nd set.
But it's a positive sign to see that Mitjana was ready to stay in California few more days just to play doubles match she probably knew shw would lose.
Maybe she'll ask for a WC in Lexington 50k next week?

mikireturns
Jul 19th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Good result, not happy with the serve in 2nd set.
But it's a positive sign to see that Mitjana was ready to stay in California few more days just to play doubles match she probably knew shw would lose.
Maybe she'll ask for a WC in Lexington 50k next week?

Well, as much as I don't like to see her playing the Challengers she hates, coming off solid Top 10-20 form at Wimbledon, with her ranking and the fact that it will mean no singles match in a month (!) by the time she hits D.C.,
I have to say you're correct, Ajmo. I would like to see her pick up some matches at the 50K in Kentucky. She's heading out that way, anyhow.

She surely must be getting eager to get some singles action by now.

Unless she was injured, we should have seen her at Biarritz and at least a wc request for Stanford, and she clearly bungled Carlsbad, thinking she would get in. I just know that wench Cirstea held off her withdrawal for bitchy reasons. (Okay, I don't know it, but it makes me feel better about Miki's unorthodox summer hard court scheduling plan).

I hope she plays, but I don't see her going to Lexington, Ajmo.

Alexandra Stevenson (world no. 436) is playing quallies there, and everyone knows she is going to win the whole thing. I'm surprised the entire field has not simply withdrawn already and allowed tournament organizers to just dispense with the nonsense and give Alexandra roses, the trophy, applaud, and maybe a little rhinestone tiara for her head. Some champions and legends simply deserve the title before a single ball has been struck.

ajmo!
Jul 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Baku field :lol:

http://www.bakucup.az/?page=content&lang=2&smenu=45&content=31

networthy
Jul 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Baku field :lol:

http://www.bakucup.az/?page=content&lang=2&smenu=45&content=31

Maybe Donna should have entered :oh:

qwertytx
Jul 20th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Unless she was injured, we should have seen her at Biarritz and at least a wc request for Stanford, and she clearly bungled Carlsbad, thinking she would get in. I just know that wench Cirstea held off her withdrawal for bitchy reasons. (Okay, I don't know it, but it makes me feel better about Miki's unorthodox summer hard court scheduling plan).

I like Miki but I don't think she makes a compelling case for a WC, particularly in a US event. She really should have made herself available for Carlsbad Q, but I'm sure her success at Wimbledon kind of messed up her plans and she ended up scrambling to get into tougher tournaments. It's only one tournament she missed out on and if she's really in form she will make an impact in her next few events. I think success in either of these draws wasn't a given since Miki can be really off on a bad day.

ajmo!
Jul 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe Donna should have entered :oh:

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2012/1044/MDS.pdf

It got even worse. Mirjana would be 6th seed. Look at the draw, that would be a chance.

mikireturns
Jul 21st, 2012, 02:53 PM
I like Miki but I don't think she makes a compelling case for a WC, particularly in a US event. She really should have made herself available for Carlsbad Q, but I'm sure her success at Wimbledon kind of messed up her plans and she ended up scrambling to get into tougher tournaments. It's only one tournament she missed out on and if she's really in form she will make an impact in her next few events. I think success in either of these draws wasn't a given since Miki can be really off on a bad day.

No, she was not at all likely for MD WCs in Stanford or Carlsbad, but I think she would have made a strong case for qualifying round WCs in both events, if she had requested them. And if she could not reasonably rely on some good form in the kinds of q-draws we saw at Stanford or Carlsbad, then that's pretty sad. She has/had successfully qualified for 6 of her last 7 events, beginning with Charleston, on two different surfaces with much tougher q-round fields. She was able to count on herself there (I think Cagnes sur Mer was her only flop, and that was a MD match against U-Rad).

Whatever the case, it will soon be over a month since Mirjana has had any singles action. Scary -- unless she and her coach planned to take some time off and have her work on taking things to the next level, with the Bartoli win as the keystone. Usually, however, you get out after a big win like that and you play week after week, if you are a lower Top 100 player like Miki. She can't be more exhausted than other players who have won quallies and then a round or two in MDs.

And, poor Ajmo, Baku is a nice thought. Seriously. In light of the fact that she has done zilch for a month in terms of playing, in light of how that panned out (with the exception of her poor old dog's demise) she would have been better served to remain in Europe, on form, and played Biella and Biarritz and surely picked up one extra Euro-challenger and then entered Baku, maybe won it ... And flew home in time to launch her hard court plans).

She would have come out ahead in the $$$ category, too. And think of the points.

As it is, her post-Wimbledon schedule is bafflingly lame. Are we to expect a thoroughly rusty Mirjana who will now be lucky to find form by US Open time? I think she'll be confident and ready to bring it, but I'm not as sure about her chances as I was a month ago.

SERVivor
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
She should try to get into the Lexington $100,000 ITF event. She needs a couple of matches before D.C. Even if she has to play qualifying in D.C., which will be a weak field, she'd have plenty of time to get to D.C. from Kentucky if she won a couple of matches there.